Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087204 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8600 on: April 17, 2021, 08:37:05 PM »
I switched jobs recently, and have to figure out what to do with the old HSA. I determined that leaving it where it was isn't an option due to fees, so Fidelity it is.

Went online, tried to open an account. Found out that I apparently have a Fidelity account. Forgot about that, so get them to tell me the username and reset password. Log in. Try to open HSA. Weird problems. Log out/close, go back in, try again. Success! Then try to request a rollover. Weird problems.

I now have 2 HSA accounts, no rollover started, and no clue what went wrong. And their customer service hours aren't all that convenient. Sigh.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8601 on: April 17, 2021, 08:54:08 PM »
I got my pension IRA rollover check today but Vanguard's mobile check deposit won't work for me. (There wasn't an option to have it mailed directly to Vanguard). Tried two devices. Now I will have to go to the post office on Monday and probably won't graduate my net worth race this month... Maybe a little market correction this week would brighten my mood...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8602 on: April 19, 2021, 01:59:58 AM »
I think I’ve been banned from staples/giftcardmall for buying too many visa and other gift cards.  I’ve got a few chase ink cards which give 5% back, worth 7.5% with the sapphire reserve so I usually run all my miscellaneous spend through there.

But this year I started running estimated tax payments through $300 visa gift cards.  The math is you pay $309 for a $300 gift card and you can make 12 payments as debit cards for $2-3 flat fee (it’s two transactions per quarter per processor (3) per SSN (2 for married)).  This it’s something like 3.7% cash back for paying your taxes or around $134 per quarter in points.  Normally only takes a few extra minutes of my time so the $/hr is high although there’s some risk that cards can be lost/stolen although that’s never happened to me yet (and if I do better than one in 27 I come out ahead)

But between January and April estimated tax payments, then regular taxes in may, plus paying state taxes at a less lucrative rate but unlimited transactions... I started getting up there.  Nowhere near the $25k/year limit on ink rewards but I guess something got flagged and they started canceling my orders

Searched around and I guess it’s a thing that happens... maybe they are worried about money laundering or maybe they actually lose money on these transactions.  I wasn’t shut down by chase, which would have a stronger claim to do so because they are certainly losing money overall

Pigs get slaughtered I guess.. a warning to you all

Contemplating ordering an authorized user card for my parents to continue the game, but at some point it’s just easier to give it up

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8603 on: April 19, 2021, 08:41:50 AM »
About two years ago, I started trying to find a vanpool that works with my schedule and would come anywhere close to my house.  I kinda let up on looking when the whole Covid thing started (and was working a bunch of OT), but now that the vaccine has been given to everyone who wanted it at work, I'm feeling better about it.  I finally might have found a route that works perfectly, but the route coordinator isn't being very responsive to the Enterprise rep that handles our routes.   

Still looking for a ride.  I guess the group I was trying to get in with last month has changed the times they work so that they don't have to be here until 30 minutes after I do.  There's another group I'm now waiting to hear back from. 

I think that I have figured out that the problem lies in the fact that work pays for the van.  The vans will hold up to 6 or 7 riders, but as long as there are at least 4, the entire cost is covered.  However, there's no benefit to adding extra riders because the stipend is worth up to $X and there's no refunds allowed.  So the current riders are paying $0 whether there's 4 riders or 7.  As far as I can tell, there's nothing that requires a van to add riders even if they have empty seats.  I don't necessarily blame a group for not wanting to add more people if it's not going to save them any money personally but it's making my search difficult. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8604 on: April 19, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
About two years ago, I started trying to find a vanpool that works with my schedule and would come anywhere close to my house.  I kinda let up on looking when the whole Covid thing started (and was working a bunch of OT), but now that the vaccine has been given to everyone who wanted it at work, I'm feeling better about it.  I finally might have found a route that works perfectly, but the route coordinator isn't being very responsive to the Enterprise rep that handles our routes.   

Still looking for a ride.  I guess the group I was trying to get in with last month has changed the times they work so that they don't have to be here until 30 minutes after I do.  There's another group I'm now waiting to hear back from. 

I think that I have figured out that the problem lies in the fact that work pays for the van.  The vans will hold up to 6 or 7 riders, but as long as there are at least 4, the entire cost is covered.  However, there's no benefit to adding extra riders because the stipend is worth up to $X and there's no refunds allowed.  So the current riders are paying $0 whether there's 4 riders or 7.  As far as I can tell, there's nothing that requires a van to add riders even if they have empty seats.  I don't necessarily blame a group for not wanting to add more people if it's not going to save them any money personally but it's making my search difficult.

Maybe you could negotiate a 30 minute earlier start time?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8605 on: April 19, 2021, 10:12:25 AM »

Maybe you could negotiate a 30 minute earlier start time?

I thought about that.  I'm on an alternate work schedule so every 6-12 months I have to justify why I get to come in earlier (and get off earlier) than normal.  If TPTB had their way, the entire 3000+ workforce would all come in at the same time and leave at the same time.  It would be a logistical nightmare with traffic and parking, of course.  But it makes policing who is on time and who is late much easier.  I'm afraid that any request to change my schedule will result in my having to go back to the "normal" tour.  While that would probably make finding a ride easier, I do kind of have things that need to be done in that first hour.   

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8606 on: April 22, 2021, 03:06:57 PM »
I got my pension IRA rollover check today but Vanguard's mobile check deposit won't work for me. (There wasn't an option to have it mailed directly to Vanguard). Tried two devices. Now I will have to go to the post office on Monday and probably won't graduate my net worth race this month... Maybe a little market correction this week would brighten my mood...

Update: My account credited today so I get to graduate. I was just starting to think that if it happened at the same time as my house sold I could probably skip a grade... That would be fun.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8607 on: April 22, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
Found out today that I got a raise.
MPP #1: will have to figure out where to save it.
MPP #2: part of the raise is based on long term performance and won’t be payable until 2023. I might be FIREd by then and so wouldn’t actually get it.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8608 on: April 22, 2021, 06:29:30 PM »
Found out today that I got a raise.
MPP #1: will have to figure out where to save it.
MPP #2: part of the raise is based on long term performance and won’t be payable until 2023. I might be FIREd by then and so wouldn’t actually get it.

Congratulations on both accounts!

I was asked in an interview once where I saw myself in 5 years. I answered honestly that while I could commit to five years, after that I was planning to spend at least a year traveling the world. They thanked me for my honesty and offered me the job.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8609 on: April 23, 2021, 07:53:23 AM »
I switched jobs recently, and have to figure out what to do with the old HSA. I determined that leaving it where it was isn't an option due to fees, so Fidelity it is.

Went online, tried to open an account. Found out that I apparently have a Fidelity account. Forgot about that, so get them to tell me the username and reset password. Log in. Try to open HSA. Weird problems. Log out/close, go back in, try again. Success! Then try to request a rollover. Weird problems.

I now have 2 HSA accounts, no rollover started, and no clue what went wrong. And their customer service hours aren't all that convenient. Sigh.

Managed to call them and get everything sorted out.

Antonia_Caenis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8610 on: April 23, 2021, 08:15:10 AM »
Aspiring MPP: cancelling Netflix and having to finish two shows till the end of month to finish the story.

Maybe more legit problems:
- it's not easy to set the shower at my Grandma's place to a temperature that is cold enough for my new comfort zone.
-apparently family members now think I'm financially irresponsible because I'm not jumping at the chance to buy every insurance under the sun.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #8611 on: April 23, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
Aspiring MPP: cancelling Netflix and having to finish two shows till the end of month to finish the story.

- it's not easy to set the shower at my Grandma's place to a temperature that is cold enough for my new comfort zone.
-apparently family members now think I'm financially irresponsible because I'm not jumping at the chance to buy every insurance under the sun.

Good luck braving the cold cold world without unnecessary insurance.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8612 on: April 23, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »
I have some gripes about our roommate. Since we are FI and our earnings are in the 90+th percentile, pretty sure that is just an MPP. We could certainly afford to kick her out if it really bothered me often enough.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #8613 on: April 23, 2021, 11:48:34 PM »
I climbed into the back of my car as instructed, while the two masked strangers climbed into the front. The driver turned to me and held out their hand demanding the key from me. What do I do? As I reached out to give them the key a million thoughts raced through my head. Was I about to seal my own fate here? Would history look back and say I should have scrambled out of the car and ran as fast as I could at this moment? If this were a film would everyone watching be screaming “Don’t give them the key you fool!” Or “As if someone would be so stupid in real life.” But I am stupid and I am a fool and as the key slipped from my hand into theirs my act of submission was complete. My life was no longer in my own hands. The masked strangers could now do with it as they liked.

The driver started the car and I looked for what could be a final time at my lovely little Mustachian home. Would I ever see it again? As far as I know there is no Superman, Batman or Spidey around here. Ideally I guess, I would love to be saved by Wonder Woman, but that too would have a downside. I would probably faint into her arms, as she eye rolls at my sheer incompetence, and mutters under her breath, “Not another one.”

Anyway, there was no one to save me. As the realisation of this dawned on me, thoughts of super heroes faded from my mind. I saw familiar streets flash by that somehow looked different from the back seat than they did from the front. Perhaps it was memories clouding the view combined with the increasing stark reality that this was my final trip.

My thoughts turned to my family and indeed my MMM journal followers. There will be no weekly update this week. Will my journal followers even care? Will they be annoyed with me that I haven’t posted on time, express their frustration with me, and then all give up posting?  My journal would slowly fall down the pages and end up in total despair on page 87 before the slow march to a page count in treble figures. I couldn’t bear the thought.

I must escape! I was very much conscious that I had been through the phases of fear, acceptance and now hope in a remarkably short time frame. This couldn’t be good for my mental state. Was I really going to make the best decisions right now? As the thought of being saved by a whole chicken (with legs and everything) flashed through my mind I realised, that yes, I wasn’t quite in the right frame of mind to make good decisions right now. I was losing it.

The masked strangers started talking to each other but I couldn’t really hear their whispers from the back seat, what with the masks and the road noise. Would they interrogate me when we reached their destination? What could I know that they possibly would want to know? I realised that I did hold the secrets of how to become financially independent. Perhaps that’s what they wanted to know? That thought scared me. Becoming FI is no get rich quick scheme. How angry would it make them if I told them to spend less than they earn, invest the difference in a low cost globally diversified index tracking fund and then wait about a quarter of a century? My goodness! That may push them over the edge. I now realised I was in a very dangerous situation indeed. I didn’t have any leverage at all with which to bargain for my life.

We reached their destination. Gulp. I regret to announce that interrogation was their objective. They asked me one question followed by another and then swiftly followed up with third and fourth questions. Would I give the right answers? Would they let me go if I did so? Was I about to meet my maker?

They concluded that they would like to buy my car from me. We all got out of the car that was now back at my house again. With the test drive complete, I took them through the paper work in a socially distanced manner in my garden. I looked at the bundle of cash I now had instead of a depreciating asset, and let out a “phew” at the adventure I had just been through.

Honestly, if you had told me eighteen months ago that in April of 2021 I would be in the back of my car while two masked strangers were driving it, the only conclusion I could possibly have reached was that I was being kidnapped! A sign of these very strange times if ever there was one!

I’ve sold a more expensive to run car and replaced it with a cheaper to run car. So my Mustachian People Problem this week was an overactive imagination while selling my car.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8614 on: April 24, 2021, 06:02:47 AM »
^^LOL!^^

Last week, I committed a "reverse" robbery. Wearing a mask and a hat pulled down low, I walked into a bank, carrying a bag full of cash,. The teller gave me a hand-written note. I thrust the bag of money past the bulletproof glass and fled with a piece of paper.

In actuality, I was depositing the donations from a community food drive and getting a cashiers check, which I then delivered to the Food Bank. I still cannot get over going into a bank wearing a mask. Oh, and the note from the teller? It was her personal email address. She  asked me to send her a link so she could make a virtual donation to the Food Drive. Sweet.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8615 on: April 24, 2021, 10:14:12 AM »
My MPP: we are 9 years into a 15 year mortgage, and our interest rate is only 3%, so we are paying very little in interest. Nevertheless, when we got a letter from our mortgage company, offering 2.5%, I figured it was worth a look. I mean, we owe about $100k, and $500/year savings is $500/year, right?

Sadly, the closing costs would have been around $4000, so we passed.   Silly us, being all responsible and paying off debt... :P

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #8616 on: April 25, 2021, 08:09:43 AM »
^^LOL!^^

Last week, I committed a "reverse" robbery. Wearing a mask and a hat pulled down low, I walked into a bank, carrying a bag full of cash,. The teller gave me a hand-written note. I thrust the bag of money past the bulletproof glass and fled with a piece of paper..
Haha yes I had to visit a bank for the first time this week wearing a mask. That was a strange experience too.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8617 on: April 26, 2021, 04:30:58 AM »

Oh, do they do that? How about an insurance against Tyrannosauris Rex bites?
They have nasty teeth!
(btw. they might have walked slower than a human according to newest research)

^^LOL!^^

Last week, I committed a "reverse" robbery. Wearing a mask and a hat pulled down low, I walked into a bank, carrying a bag full of cash,. The teller gave me a hand-written note. I thrust the bag of money past the bulletproof glass and fled with a piece of paper.

Well, technically, if you are armed, it is a bank robbery now if you deposit money (at least here in the EU) since the negative interest of the central bank means they make a loss.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8618 on: April 26, 2021, 07:09:27 AM »
I was out mowing our front lawn with a reel mower (human-powered) as I've been doing for five years now and our neighbor stopped by to ask if I wanted to borrow his gas mower. Said he'd never seen a reel mower before. Our lawn is very tiny (like 1000-1500 sq ft) so there's really no reason to burn gasoline and make a ton of noise while mowing it. Plus its good exercise!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8619 on: April 26, 2021, 08:23:12 AM »
We drink our coffee black and know nothing about all the stuff people buy to put in it. We're having new friends over for coffee, and they said they take it with cream and sugar. Sugar is pretty obvious, but cream? What exactly does one buy for cream to put into coffee? Do you just pick up the carton that says "heavy cream" at the grocery store? Or does it have to be something that is specifically labeled "coffee creamer"? I know someone who uses half&half in her coffee, but I don't think that's typical. Help, fellow Mustachians who spend some of your hard-earned budget on cream for your coffee!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8620 on: April 26, 2021, 08:28:49 AM »
We drink our coffee black and know nothing about all the stuff people buy to put in it. We're having new friends over for coffee, and they said they take it with cream and sugar. Sugar is pretty obvious, but cream? What exactly does one buy for cream to put into coffee? Do you just pick up the carton that says "heavy cream" at the grocery store? Or does it have to be something that is specifically labeled "coffee creamer"? I know someone who uses half&half in her coffee, but I don't think that's typical. Help, fellow Mustachians who spend some of your hard-earned budget on cream for your coffee!

Coffee addict here :)

People can be so particular about their coffee that it's best to just ask your friends directly what they would like!

Myself, I like either heavy cream or the liquid coffee creamer. Some are perfectly happy with powdered creamer, while others won't even touch the stuff.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8621 on: April 26, 2021, 10:43:57 AM »
I like heavy or whipping cream, but rarely buy it for my coffee.  I drink it black at work.  At home, I've been blending together evaporated milk and cookie butter to make a flavored creamer.  I'm trying to cut down on dairy, but haven't found a non-dairy option that I like in coffee.  I like almond milk, but it just doesn't do it for me in coffee.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8622 on: April 26, 2021, 10:50:14 AM »
"Cream and sugar" may just be a phrase for white-dairy-product-with-some-butterfat and sugar.  1/2 and 1/2 is probably the most common dairy additon to coffee.  That's what your most likely to find at a coffee shop especially in those little plastic one serving containers.  Actual cream, especially heavy cream can sorta curdle when added to hot coffee/tea.

And then there is what kind of sugar?  Just don't go there.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8623 on: April 26, 2021, 10:55:41 AM »
"Cream and sugar" may just be a phrase for white-dairy-product-with-some-butterfat and sugar.  1/2 and 1/2 is probably the most common dairy additon to coffee.  That's what your most likely to find at a coffee shop especially in those little plastic one serving containers.  Actual cream, especially heavy cream can sorta curdle when added to hot coffee/tea.

Thank you all for your help! The bolded part above is what I should have asked about specifically... just whatever is in a restaurant or coffee shop is what I'm going for. And that's a very important point about the heavy cream curdling! That would have been embarrassing! Good to know about half and half -- I just thought the person I know who uses it was being different and everyone else used something else!

And yeah, the sugar... they're getting white sugar, which we already have in the house. If something else were super important to them, they should have specified, or they can bring it themselves!

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #8624 on: April 26, 2021, 11:00:16 AM »
I like almond milk, but it just doesn't do it for me in coffee.

I drink my coffee black, but my DW says Oat or Soya milk behaves better in coffee.

I prefer almond on my cereal, but oat is a close second.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8625 on: April 26, 2021, 11:05:47 AM »
I like almond milk, but it just doesn't do it for me in coffee.

I drink my coffee black, but my DW says Oat or Soya milk behaves better in coffee.

I prefer almond on my cereal, but oat is a close second.

Funny you say that... I didn't want to delve into too much boring detail in my original post, but my husband is the black coffee drinker, and I usually make a mocha shake (1/2 cup coffee frozen into ice cubes, 6oz soy milk, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 frozen banana, 1 pitted Medjool date --> YUM!!) on the weekends and don't have any coffee during the week.

But I just discovered oat milk creamer, which I bought to make a chocolate White Russian out of homemade chocolate vodka (cocoa nibs + chocolate + time -- about a week = chocolate vodka). I also had to try it in coffee, of course, and it's delicious! I just hesitate to spring that on people we don't know very well, because I try to save my "coming out" as the "weird vegan" for a bit later in the relationship. :-) You know the joke, right? "How do you tell when someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you within 8 minutes of meeting you." I don't want to be that person if I can help it.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8626 on: April 26, 2021, 11:52:19 AM »

Thank you all for your help! The bolded part above is what I should have asked about specifically... just whatever is in a restaurant or coffee shop is what I'm going for. And that's a very important point about the heavy cream curdling! That would have been embarrassing! Good to know about half and half -- I just thought the person I know who uses it was being different and everyone else used something else!

And yeah, the sugar... they're getting white sugar, which we already have in the house. If something else were super important to them, they should have specified, or they can bring it themselves!

I think that's what most people with very specific wishes do. I have several friends who carry small bottles of vegan/lactose-free alternatives to cream or sugar-free sweeteners in their bag.

In my country the "standard" option for white liquid in coffee is semi-skimmed, non-sweetened condensed milk (just called coffee milk) and that's what I drink myself as well. But if someone else provides coffee creamer (yuk! But I'll drink it when I'm someone's guest) or cream or any vegan alternative, I'll just drink that. I try to accomodate for people's preferences, especially if someone is vegan or allergic, but if you only drink coffee with some kind of fancy sugar-free hazelnut syrup or whatever, you'll have to bring your own.

I think vegan alternatives to dairy are getting so common that people won't automatically assume you're a weird preachy vegan, but maybe that's my urban, liberal bubble. Lots of people want to cut back on animal proteins, are allergic or simply just prefer the taste of non-dairy products. I buy oat and soy milk fairly often.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8627 on: April 26, 2021, 11:53:26 AM »
If someone at my house asks for cream and sugar they are probably getting milk.  Honestly most people aren't going to notice the difference and I’m not buying a pint of half and half or cream so some rando can splash a bit in their coffee. 

If you want to be ready for any occasion, though, I highly recommend the shelf stable whipping cream from Trader Joe’s.  It works for coffee or if you need an impromptu whipped cream (although it’s better chilled first). 

But yeah, ask them if milk is ok.  Find out what kind of people they are pretty quickly

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #8628 on: April 26, 2021, 12:13:13 PM »
When MIL stays over night she has to bring her own coffee, accoutrements, and coffee maker since we don't drink coffee and have no way or knowledge on how to make it. 

My mom just brings a Starbucks can of something to chug when she road trips through.  Something fast to get her back on the road.  She doesn't like coffee and likes to use the canned stuff to keep her alert while she drives cross country. 

Luckily both moms are self accommodating when staying with us and don't expect us to provide things for them that we don't provide for ourselves. 

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8629 on: April 26, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »
When MIL stays over night she has to bring her own coffee, accoutrements, and coffee maker since we don't drink coffee and have no way or knowledge on how to make it. 

My parents didn’t like my Nespresso machine, that I have now sold, so next time before they came to visit I got a notification of a packet from a home appliance store. They had ordered me a coffee machine.

My grandmother and many in her generations put cream and sugar into their coffee. It was the cream that you whipp cream from.

When I was in Vietnam I ordered coffee with milk and sometimes I got this horrible sweet coffee. It took me a while to realise why I only got it sometimes. Sometimes they asked me if I wanted real milk, which I said yes to. Other times I ordered black to avoid the hideous sugar thing and the Vietnamese were asking if I really wanted it like that because it is strong. Then I realised that when it was disgustingly sweet it was condensed milk.

Here oatmilk is pretty common in companies but you can also get regular and lactosefree. If I am visiting I would drink what was offered, while I drink lactosefree daily milk at home.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8630 on: April 26, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »

If you're looking for what's on offer at restaurants, there are several options:

- In the metal pitcher with lid: could be milk, could be half and half.

- In the plastic cups with rip-off foil lid: I've seen both half and half, and non-dairy creamer, like Carnation or Nestle Coffee Mate, or Mocha Mix. It could also be FLAVORED, like Carnation Irish Coffee, or Coffee Mate Hazelnut - which are FULL of sugar.

Might also be that they prefer almond milk, or heavy whipping cream, or skim milk.

Honestly, no way to know unless you ask them....

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8631 on: April 26, 2021, 10:58:07 PM »
I feel like I am spending with wild abandon. The truth is, even if the purchases and plans were frivolous (which, as you can imagine, they are not), they won't affect our saving rate. Not even taking my parents and an aunt on the Roving Family Reunion Road Trip in a couple of months.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8632 on: April 27, 2021, 05:19:33 AM »
Just made a donation to my local botanical garden, which is named after my local grocer.  Freaked out when I initially saw my “grocery” category for the month on personal capital since it recorded my donation as a grocery stop.  Needless to say I was way over budget.

On coffee, due to having to travel a lot last fall due to work, I now own a 2nd coffee maker I keep in my work car for hotel rooms.  Not all my hotels had decent coffee makers in the rooms and many weren’t offering it at the grab and go breakfasts.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8633 on: April 27, 2021, 07:15:03 AM »
Just made a donation to my local botanical garden, which is named after my local grocer.  Freaked out when I initially saw my “grocery” category for the month on personal capital since it recorded my donation as a grocery stop.  Needless to say I was way over budget.

On coffee, due to having to travel a lot last fall due to work, I now own a 2nd coffee maker I keep in my work car for hotel rooms.  Not all my hotels had decent coffee makers in the rooms and many weren’t offering it at the grab and go breakfasts.

Does that mean you could get a bigger % back with the next donation or do you not play that game? Our local food bank is bizarrely categorized as education.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8634 on: April 27, 2021, 08:06:48 AM »

I don’t play the game, I use my first adult credit cards that are flat 1% cash back to keep them active and it keeps it simple for tax purposes since I only make donations on those cards (I still itemize).

Does that mean you could get a bigger % back with the next donation or do you not play that game? Our local food bank is bizarrely categorized as education.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8635 on: April 27, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
I've found that just because something is listed as groceries (like when I order online pickup from Walmart) doesn't necessarily mean that I'll get the points for groceries.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8636 on: April 27, 2021, 04:17:43 PM »

My parents didn’t like my Nespresso machine, that I have now sold, so next time before they came to visit I got a notification of a packet from a home appliance store. They had ordered me a coffee machine.

My grandmother and many in her generations put cream and sugar into their coffee. It was the cream that you whipp cream from.

When I was in Vietnam I ordered coffee with milk and sometimes I got this horrible sweet coffee. It took me a while to realise why I only got it sometimes. Sometimes they asked me if I wanted real milk, which I said yes to. Other times I ordered black to avoid the hideous sugar thing and the Vietnamese were asking if I really wanted it like that because it is strong. Then I realised that when it was disgustingly sweet it was condensed milk.

Here oatmilk is pretty common in companies but you can also get regular and lactosefree. If I am visiting I would drink what was offered, while I drink lactosefree daily milk at home.

Blasphemy!!! Vietnamese iced coffee (and Thai iced coffee) are amazing delicacies! They are meant to go over a huge cup of ice to thin them out and be sipped leisurely. I wouldn't want to be served one for breakfast, but with lunch or dinner they're a great pairing. They help cut the spice in your mouth if you order your food too spicy accidentally

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8637 on: April 27, 2021, 09:16:24 PM »

Blasphemy!!! Vietnamese iced coffee (and Thai iced coffee) are amazing delicacies! They are meant to go over a huge cup of ice to thin them out and be sipped leisurely. I wouldn't want to be served one for breakfast, but with lunch or dinner they're a great pairing. They help cut the spice in your mouth if you order your food too spicy accidentally

Likewise I can enjoy sipping one of those crazy sweet Starbucks beverages as like a dessert or something.  But if I got that when I was expecting a regular coffee I’d be a bit put off

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8638 on: April 27, 2021, 11:08:00 PM »

Likewise I can enjoy sipping one of those crazy sweet Starbucks beverages as like a dessert or something.  But if I got that when I was expecting a regular coffee I’d be a bit put off

I didn’t order iced coffee but a regular coffeee. If someone wants to drown their coffee in sugar and destroy it they are welcome. For me it is bladphemy to destroy a good beverage by turning it to a sugar drink.

In Sweden Starbucks has been closing down their coffee shops one after another. Their watered down version of coffee that americans call coffee is rejected. It is commonly referred to as tea with coffee taste. Hawaii, though, has amazing coffee.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:20:52 AM by Plina »

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8639 on: April 28, 2021, 03:14:37 AM »

I didn’t order iced coffee but a regular coffeee. If someone wants to drown their coffee in sugar and destroy it they are welcome. For me it is bladphemy to destroy a good beverage by turning it to a sugar drink.

It sounds like what you experienced is more like what in Singapore is called Kopi (coffee with sugar and condensed milk) and Kopi O (coffee with sugar but no milk). 

Back in the mid 1990ies a Kopi would cost 30 Singapore cents where I took my coffee at the NTU campus, and a Kopi O would cost 25 cents.  One time I managed to get them to make the coffee with neither milk nor sugar, just plain black.  They tried to warn me, "very bitter, very bitter!" but I insisted and they had to make an extra pot especially for me... and for all that extra work they charged me 20 cents for the cup.  :)

More Kopi versions here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_(drink)#Etymology
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:16:17 AM by lemanfan »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8640 on: April 28, 2021, 03:59:27 AM »

In Sweden Starbucks has been closing down their coffee shops one after another. Their watered down version of coffee that americans call coffee is rejected. It is commonly referred to as tea with coffee taste. Hawaii, though, has amazing coffee.

I don't think Starbucks is doing too well in my country either. They're mainly in railway stations and in my city they're located right between the fancy Italian coffeeshop and the decent cheap coffeeshop, and Starbucks coffee is like €6, almost twice what fancy Italian costs and 3 x the price of the cheap decent coffee. And they take at least 5 minutes to make your coffee, which is a long time when you need to catch a train or bus. Starbucks customers seem to be young women who don't actually like the taste of coffee but want to be seen carrying "cool" coffee. Ever since the pandemic, Starbucks is empty whenever I pass.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8641 on: April 28, 2021, 04:04:46 AM »
Now I want a Vietnamese iced coffee, or one of their very orange-hued milk teas. Haven’t had one in a very long time. They’re so delicious! My thinking is always, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” No point getting mad that the local doesn’t know how to make a regular coffee, because what is defined as being “regular” depends on the culture you’re in. To them, they are making you a regular coffee — you’re the one who wants a weird coffee that may taste disgusting to them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:31:15 AM by Freedomin5 »

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8642 on: April 28, 2021, 05:33:19 AM »

I don't think Starbucks is doing too well in my country either. They're mainly in railway stations and in my city they're located right between the fancy Italian coffeeshop and the decent cheap coffeeshop, and Starbucks coffee is like €6, almost twice what fancy Italian costs and 3 x the price of the cheap decent coffee. And they take at least 5 minutes to make your coffee, which is a long time when you need to catch a train or bus. Starbucks customers seem to be young women who don't actually like the taste of coffee but want to be seen carrying "cool" coffee. Ever since the pandemic, Starbucks is empty whenever I pass.

When I go to Starbucks in Europe, I’m generally buying a coffee in order to use their bathroom.  I know it is there and I know I can use it with purchase, no guessing required.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8643 on: April 28, 2021, 09:33:10 AM »
Now I want a Vietnamese iced coffee, or one of their very orange-hued milk teas. Haven’t had one in a very long time. They’re so delicious! My thinking is always, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” No point getting mad that the local doesn’t know how to make a regular coffee, because what is defined as being “regular” depends on the culture you’re in. To them, they are making you a regular coffee — you’re the one who wants a weird coffee that may taste disgusting to them.

If you meant me, I didn’t get mad. It just took me a while to figure out what I needed to order to get good coffee and avoid all the sugar. Vietnam was actually, the country with the best coffee of those countries that I visited. Vietnam is  the second largest coffee producer in the world so they know how to make coffee. In US, outside of Hawaii, you have to add some doses of espresso to get the taste of coffee.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8644 on: April 28, 2021, 09:37:56 AM »
When I go to Starbucks in Europe, I’m generally buying a coffee in order to use their bathroom.  I know it is there and I know I can use it with purchase, no guessing required.

DW refers to international Starbucks as the "real American Embassy" No matter where we've been been the Starbucks seem to be run like they are in America. They will have clearly identified public bathrooms, they will have WiFi, and they will have the AC cranked if it's summer... The inside of the Starbucks was the coldest place in Crete! I could feel it rolling out through the wide up doors...  The only exception I've ever seen was the "Starbucks" in Lukla Nepal that was pretty clearly not affiliated with the chain. It was a very nice place with good coffee though.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8645 on: April 28, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »

It sounds like what you experienced is more like what in Singapore is called Kopi (coffee with sugar and condensed milk) and Kopi O (coffee with sugar but no milk). 

Back in the mid 1990ies a Kopi would cost 30 Singapore cents where I took my coffee at the NTU campus, and a Kopi O would cost 25 cents.  One time I managed to get them to make the coffee with neither milk nor sugar, just plain black.  They tried to warn me, "very bitter, very bitter!" but I insisted and they had to make an extra pot especially for me... and for all that extra work they charged me 20 cents for the cup.  :)

More Kopi versions here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_(drink)#Etymology

There is so many coffe versions to choose between. The ones I liked best in China and Vietnam was a form a drip coffee

I used Starbacks in China when I was studying as you could sit for a couple hours there with your computer. One day I ordered one of the specialty coffees accidentally and it was a big production to make it with a lot of steps. As a blond foreigner I always drew some attention and I got to talk with the barista while waiting for the coffee. I got invited to an event and decided to go to see what it was. I ended up becoming the guest of honor in an event that launched their Chinese coffee. There was a photographer that took a lot of pictures of the event.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8646 on: April 28, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8647 on: April 28, 2021, 11:56:04 AM »

DW refers to international Starbucks as the "real American Embassy" No matter where we've been been the Starbucks seem to be run like they are in America. They will have clearly identified public bathrooms, they will have WiFi, and they will have the AC cranked if it's summer... The inside of the Starbucks was the coldest place in Crete! I could feel it rolling out through the wide up doors...  The only exception I've ever seen was the "Starbucks" in Lukla Nepal that was pretty clearly not affiliated with the chain. It was a very nice place with good coffee though.

This is so true and kinda sad.  I have an uncle who is constantly in a cruise and collects a Starbucks mug from every country (city? Not sure)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8648 on: April 28, 2021, 01:08:37 PM »

This is so true and kinda sad.  I have an uncle who is constantly in a cruise and collects a Starbucks mug from every country (city? Not sure)

Well, to be fair cruising is to travel what Starbucks is to coffee...

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8649 on: April 28, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »

I don't usually care to go somewhere just like home while traveling but there are times when tired or weary from trying to figure out an entirely new system that it is nice to take a short break from the adventure...

It's been some years now, so it might not be the same now, but i once went to a pizza hut in Morocco (group's choice) and it was nothing like the American version. Instead, it was a very fancy restaurant, nicer than any I've been to in the US. While backpacking OZ in 2012, McDonalds seemed to have a decent free WIFI connection. I promised myself that for the sake of my health I'd never eat their food again when I turned 25, so I'd get a coffee to update my blog... Everything felt super expensive at the time, turns out I had terrible timing on the exchange rates.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!