Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086685 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8550 on: March 26, 2021, 02:57:40 AM »
Now we work from home, my work clothes don't get dirty anymore! No sweat from walking to work or going up 4 stairs every morning. No stains from spilling food. Any time I'm going to do an activity that involves sweat or dirt I'll change out of office clothes and into clothes suitable for that particular activity.

There is still a strong social stigma against not wearing the same outfit day in, day out, and some people have noticed I wear the same outfit for every videocall (I'm basically in videocalls all day every day, not just half an hour here and there). So I've started to wear several outfits every week and in my bedroom there are at least 3 half-worn work outfits: not clean enough to go back into the closet, not smelly enough to go in the laundry. It's extremely annoying.

Some people get around that by just having 5 completely black T-shirts. One for every work day. Or so they say... ;)

Pre-pandemic I put in a lot of effort to find non-boring work appropriate clothes! So "unfortunately" most of my work clothes are in my favourite colours and do stand out.

I have a few basics, like the black dress that I've been wearing every day for at least a week. I have cardigans and blazers in several colours, I'll wear one of these on a call, let them air and put them back into the closet. No one notices that it's the same black dress underneath the grey cardigan and the green blazer and the red jacket.

Could find some cheap large scarves or necklaces?  Even if you're not a scarf person (I'm not either) you could tie it so little of your actual clothing shows on a zoom call.

I think I probably have a few suitable scarves or necklaces in the back of my closet!

I don't even know how to get dressed properly anymore. My hair has been in a ponytail for a year, I doubt I can still wear heels, the only jewelry I've been wearing are simple earstuds. Outside of my video calls I've worn the same (free) fleece jacket all winter.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8551 on: March 26, 2021, 04:44:17 AM »
A ponytail is a very proper dress. People who say otherwise are just barbarians!

Some people get around that by just having 5 completely black T-shirts. One for every work day. Or so they say... ;)

I just refreshed my boring tshirt collection.  7 black 7 grey from Uniqlo.  I used to buy other colors but realized I didn’t wear them.

Maybe tell them you have a "uniform," like Steve Jobs? He looked like he wore the same thing every day, but (he said) he just had a bunch of the same articles of clothing. Apparently it's something only the coolest people do. :-)

It’s not a cool thing to do, but if you’re cool enough you don’t care
Uh, thanks dragoncar! You just solved a big mystery for me. I could not find that company on the net, I always searched for Uniclo for obvious reasons!

About the Steve Jobs uniform, that actually has a serious psycological background. The reason so many hyper-active create people do that might be because of decision fatigue. Several of them have stated it at least: It makes the day easier if you don't have to decide on your clothes.
If you do decisions all the time, you are happy if you don't have to decide on daily things.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8552 on: March 26, 2021, 04:57:00 AM »
I probably don’t qualify as a hyper active creative person but I fully support a wardrobe that doesn’t demand to many decisions. My wardrobe is to 70 % marine blue and the rest are green, black,  purple, White and red. exercise clothes for women are for some reason mostly purple or black. I wash two machines: White and the rest. I will probably color the white ones blue as one have a coffee spill that doesn’t dissapear and I don’t see the point of washing the rest separately. Nowadays, I don’t buy clothes that don’t match with the rest of the wardrobe.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8553 on: March 26, 2021, 05:21:40 AM »
I probably don’t qualify as a hyper active creative person but I fully support a wardrobe that doesn’t demand to many decisions. My wardrobe is to 70 % marine blue and the rest are green, black,  purple, White and red. exercise clothes for women are for some reason mostly purple or black. I wash two machines: White and the rest. I will probably color the white ones blue as one have a coffee spill that doesn’t dissapear and I don’t see the point of washing the rest separately. Nowadays, I don’t buy clothes that don’t match with the rest of the wardrobe.

I've found that what I wear really does affect my mood. So I've been doing the opposite and I've tried to add some colour to my work wardrobe. The basics are in "sensible" colours like black and navy but I just love colour too much to wear boring clothes every day. I don't have a lot of clothes at all, but I do have separate 'home' and 'work' clothes.

In my private life I like wearing prints, but most of my favourite prints are just not suitable for work. In my private life I also really don't care if people see me wearing the same bold print dress day in, day out, if they think I'm gross for wearing clothes until they are dirty, so be it. But I know at work I'd get judged for that.  I was bright colours separately the first time after I've bought them but after that I'll just throw in everything together in a 30C cycle and the colours never run. The only colour that really needs to be washed seperately is white and we don't wear white.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8554 on: March 26, 2021, 05:45:46 AM »

I've found that what I wear really does affect my mood. So I've been doing the opposite and I've tried to add some colour to my work wardrobe. The basics are in "sensible" colours like black and navy but I just love colour too much to wear boring clothes every day. I don't have a lot of clothes at all, but I do have separate 'home' and 'work' clothes.

In my private life I like wearing prints, but most of my favourite prints are just not suitable for work. In my private life I also really don't care if people see me wearing the same bold print dress day in, day out, if they think I'm gross for wearing clothes until they are dirty, so be it. But I know at work I'd get judged for that.  I was bright colours separately the first time after I've bought them but after that I'll just throw in everything together in a 30C cycle and the colours never run. The only colour that really needs to be washed seperately is white and we don't wear white.

I am wearing the same clothes most of the time at work and at home. I don’t wear jackets or suits at home but I rarely were them at work. I don’t wear yoga pants at the office but I wear them sometimes when I work from home because nobody can see them in a video conferences. I might were a fleece jacket in an internal videoconference but I would not were them in video conferences with clients. Most of my clothes are bought so I can choose to wear them both at home or in office.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8555 on: March 26, 2021, 07:27:00 AM »
I paid two co-pay invoices with the same check to save a check and a stamp. I even wrote both invoice numbers on the check. The hospital credited all the money to one invoice, and then has been calling me about the lack of payment on the other. And then today, we received a check in the mail for the “over-payment” on the first invoice.  Now I have $50 from the hospital as well as a canceled check showing that I already paid for the invoice they’re called me about. Grrrrrrr.

So much for saving 55 cents. It turns out I bought myself a headache.
Been there. Two checks in one envelope saves you a stamp, but they can still fuck it up.

Don’t beat yourself up.  Two checks with two stamps and they still can fuck it up

Don't beat yourself up. You can show up at the hospital's payment department with cash, check, and credit card, and they will fuck it up.
(Source: happened to me, twice.)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #8556 on: March 26, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »

I am wearing the same clothes most of the time at work and at home. I don’t wear jackets or suits at home but I rarely were them at work. I don’t wear yoga pants at the office but I wear them sometimes when I work from home because nobody can see them in a video conferences. I might were a fleece jacket in an internal videoconference but I would not were them in video conferences with clients. Most of my clothes are bought so I can choose to wear them both at home or in office.
I have a single base color (black and grey) then I also love bright colors!  I just make sure whatever bright colors I have go well with black and grey, which is not difficult.  You can be a bright person and also have a simple wardrobe. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8557 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
Don't beat yourself up. You can show up at the hospital's payment department with cash, check, and credit card, and they will fuck it up.
(Source: happened to me, twice.)

I've lost count of the number of times I've "paid at time of service" only to be billed for a second time a month of two later. Fortunately the office that is most prone to doing so is very good about canceling it when I call them. Unfortunately we really like the doctor there so I'm not really willing to go elsewhere over their billing issues.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8558 on: March 26, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »
the plan:  to get an antibody test for Covid-19 prior to getting a shot.
The actuality:I took my mother for her second shot and asked "do you have extras?" and got my first shot. 
MPP:  Now I'll never know if I had Covid.   
I suspect I did, as I either lost some taste, or a variety 12 pack of several normally tasty beers was from a bad week at the brewery.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #8559 on: March 30, 2021, 11:46:16 PM »
I did an HSA rollover from my employer-sponsored HSA to Fidelity back in February. It appears the employer-sponsored HSA misinterpreted my instructions and closed my account rather than just transferring existing funds, which means for 2 months' paychecks I haven't been contributing, nor have I received my employer's contributions. Good thing I had an unusual bonus this month and wanted to check my pay stub; otherwise it might have taken me months to notice!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8560 on: March 31, 2021, 04:33:42 PM »
Visited my parents over the weekend. They still hand me money.

Hey it's me ur brother!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8561 on: March 31, 2021, 07:46:56 PM »
I asked Rebs to set my post count negative and he did it.  Absolute mad lad didn’t even wait until tomorrow!

But not my post count is too low to report back to the off topic thread.  And I have to answer the stupid cancha every time.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8562 on: March 31, 2021, 07:54:22 PM »
I asked Rebs to set my post count negative and he did it.  Absolute mad lad didn’t even wait until tomorrow!

But not my post count is too low to report back to the off topic thread.  And I have to answer the stupid cancha every time.

Is this like an odometer rolling over? Just add 10k posts to the shown value?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8563 on: March 31, 2021, 08:00:04 PM »

Is this like an odometer rolling over? Just add 10k posts to the shown value?

To be honest I was hoping for an unsigned integer situation and bad input sanitization.  Kudos SMF

But yeah I was actually pretty close to making senior mustachian.  I’m going to miss out on that sweet pension due to one reckless mistake.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8564 on: April 06, 2021, 06:02:41 AM »
the plan:  to get an antibody test for Covid-19 prior to getting a shot.
The actuality:I took my mother for her second shot and asked "do you have extras?" and got my first shot. 
MPP:  Now I'll never know if I had Covid.   
I suspect I did, as I either lost some taste, or a variety 12 pack of several normally tasty beers was from a bad week at the brewery.

Visiting my frustratingly non-covid-conscientious brother-in-law, his wife lets slip that her best friend had  COVID at one point in September. So that meant that her two best female friends (the other one had shared her positive diagnosis on Facebook), her sister-in-law all had confirmed positive cases. In addition, there had been a serious outbreak at her husband's job.

Independent of symptoms, if you haven't had people around you having COVID, odds are low that you ever had it. But if people in several different areas of your life have had it, and you've been having fairly unrestricted interaction, i.e. eating together in-doors, there's a good chance you had it.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8565 on: April 08, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »
My parents are taking a river cruise this summer. I am equal parts "Are you nuts??" "Hmmm, I have enough details that I could surprise them" and "That is a LOT of money."

For some reason, I woke up this morning just not caring about diseases (we are all vaccinated, but I am in general wary of the mutations spreading around), so only the last two are fighting it out.

It is a lot of money when compared to our average annual spend (~10%), but not so much when compared to our annual savings. And we are already FI. My parents are in their late 70s. I am leaning towards bringing it up with my partner, but did I mention that is a LOT of money?!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8566 on: April 08, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
Hmmm... Sounds like it would be a lot of money

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8567 on: April 08, 2021, 02:13:01 PM »
Hmmm... Sounds like it would be a lot of money

Upon discussion, we agreed that we may well spend that amount when we travel to see them in the late summer/ fall, but it will be a longer trip and seeing more of the family. We aren't that interested in where they have chosen, having lived in the general area and seen much of the scenery. I was just a bit giddy about the idea of surprising them.

I was so happy with my choice that I made a donation today, instead. Much better use of our monies.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:52:45 PM by ixtap »

Malee55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8568 on: April 08, 2021, 04:46:52 PM »
I get remarks at work when I decline doing higher duties about me being lucky to not need the extra money (nothing about me not spending on coffee or clothes all the time)

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8569 on: April 08, 2021, 08:01:51 PM »
I had a large very large unwanted capital gain realization this year (it’s a long story), but now I have to pay taxes on it.

Since I don’t categorize capital gains as income, the taxes will bring my 2021 savings rate from ~60% to 35%.  This will be the first time in over a decade that the savings rate went below 50%.

All my internal metrics are screwed up. I feel like I’m failing at the FI thing, even though I know this windfall actually got me a year closer. Logic is conflicting with my spreadsheet tracking.

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #8570 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:59 PM »
Since I don’t categorize capital gains as income...

Well, there is your problem right there.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8571 on: April 09, 2021, 11:58:40 PM »
I had a large very large unwanted capital gain realization this year (it’s a long story), but now I have to pay taxes on it.

Since I don’t categorize capital gains as income, the taxes will bring my 2021 savings rate from ~60% to 35%.  This will be the first time in over a decade that the savings rate went below 50%.

All my internal metrics are screwed up. I feel like I’m failing at the FI thing, even though I know this windfall actually got me a year closer. Logic is conflicting with my spreadsheet tracking.

If you don’t categorize capital gains as income, why do you categorize the taxes from them as a cost?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 12:35:13 AM by Plina »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8572 on: April 10, 2021, 12:03:54 AM »
My parents are taking a river cruise this summer. I am equal parts "Are you nuts??" "Hmmm, I have enough details that I could surprise them" and "That is a LOT of money."

For some reason, I woke up this morning just not caring about diseases (we are all vaccinated, but I am in general wary of the mutations spreading around), so only the last two are fighting it out.

It is a lot of money when compared to our average annual spend (~10%), but not so much when compared to our annual savings. And we are already FI. My parents are in their late 70s. I am leaning towards bringing it up with my partner, but did I mention that is a LOT of money?!
A story from pre-Covid times. For my parent's 50th Anniversary, my folks, their six kids, all the spouses and all the grandchildren (20 in all) assembled from around the country for a 4-day Mexican Riviera cruise out of Long Beach. My aunt who lives near Long Beach was invited, but said she had prior commitment and couldn't go. Imagine our surprise when she greeted us at dinner on the first night out. She was on the same cruise with her bridge group! She had made the connection but hadn't told any of us. Quite the surprise for all and very memorable.

Since it was my folk's 50th, on the first night of the cruise, each of their kids wore something from my parent's old wardrobes. We had smuggled them out when my parents were downsizing their house earlier in the year. Everyone but we six and my SIL were fashionably "late" for dinner, which made my mom a bit testy. One by one, we each arrived wearing my parent's vintage togs. Finally, my brother arrived arm-in-arm with our SIL. Both had lost weight and were small/skinny enough to fit into dad's Air Force uniform and Mom's wedding suit, just like in their wedding picture. Not a dry eye in the bunch. And then my aunt appeared out of nowhere, laughing because she had last seen my parents in those clothes at their actual wedding.

A few years later, all of us plus her five kids and their families did a long weekend on the Queen Mary in honor of her 80th birthday. It was equally memorable.

My parents are gone, and my aunt is now 90. Due to my parents passing and the pandemic, it was the last large family gathering. We all cherish those memories.

It goes without saying that my vote is to spend the money and surprise them.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8573 on: April 10, 2021, 12:04:41 AM »
If you don’t categorize capital gains as income, why do you categorize the taxes from them us a cost?

I love wise questions like that, Plina!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8574 on: April 10, 2021, 05:18:46 AM »
The Dyson vacuum we got from our wedding registry 10+ years ago has a small tear in the hose now and we have to buy a $20 replacement hose before we can effectively use it again

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8575 on: April 10, 2021, 07:17:59 AM »

If you don’t categorize capital gains as income, why do you categorize the taxes from them as a cost?

Fair question.  It's simply that I cut a single check to the IRS for my quarterly estimated taxes (I have no regular tax withholding this year), so it's all just one expense that happens each quarter.  It turns out that I under-estimated my 2020 withholding by a bit, so my tax expense is also coming in higher than I budgeted for unrelated reasons as well.

I realize this is a mindset issue and not a real issue.  It just bugs me every time I open my spreadsheets.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8576 on: April 10, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »
The Dyson vacuum we got from our wedding registry 10+ years ago has a small tear in the hose now and we have to buy a $20 replacement hose before we can effectively use it again

I might try $2 wirth of duct tape first.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8577 on: April 10, 2021, 08:31:53 AM »
I keep a monthly line graph of my net-worth.  Starting from 2006.
In recent times, the graph is now starting to just resemble the graph of VTSAX.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8578 on: April 10, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »

I was thinking shoe goo and electrical tape. Or gaff tape. Whatever’s on hand!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8579 on: April 10, 2021, 11:17:18 AM »
It’s in a weird spot, unfortunately

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8580 on: April 10, 2021, 08:36:57 PM »

Well, turn the vacuum on so that it sucks the Shoe Goo and/or Duct Tape down into the weird spot... ;)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8581 on: April 10, 2021, 11:02:31 PM »

Well, turn the vacuum on so that it sucks the Shoe Goo and/or Duct Tape down into the weird spot... ;)

This makes a remarkable amount of sense to me... It's the kind of solution you come up with when it's 200 miles to the nearest hardware store...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8582 on: April 10, 2021, 11:41:36 PM »

I was regularly repairing my hose for a while until I got get up and ordered a $13 aftermarket hose.  It's like $16 now but this is the one I got and it's worked great for three years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YO98SM
That fits my 20 year old dyson though maybe not the same as yours
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:04:59 AM by dragoncar »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8583 on: April 11, 2021, 05:36:12 AM »
Someone in our family is dying and they want to leave their car to Mr Imma.
It's a small car, don't know the exact model but it's a A- or B-segment, which is considered a regular sized car in Europe, probably extremely tiny by American standards. It's not too old but it's not brand new, it's apparantly cheap in taxes and efficient in fuel.
Mr. Imma is seriously considering accepting it, for practical and sentimental reasons.

BUT.

Neither of us have a driver's license. I'm working on getting it for work, but in all likelihood I won't get get medical clearance to drive a manual car. I won't need to own a car for work, I'm supposed to use a company vehicle when necessary. Mr. Imma has been thinking about getting his license ever since he came of age, but that's nearly 20 years ago and he hasn't wanted that license enough to get around to taking lessons. The cost of a driver's license is €2000-€2500 each, which is a lot, but we can afford it. Getting a driver's license is useful so that part is not something I object to.

But the car.... We don't need a car. We live in urban Europe, on the edge of downtown in a big city. Everyone we know lives in urban locations so we take the train to visit them. Fuel is expensive here and parking is a nightmare too. We take train holidays too, I hate car holidays. I hate sitting in a car in general, which is why I never bothered to get a license in the first place. Our jobs are within walking/cycling distance and so is the grocery store. Driving there would be less efficient because our city has lots of car-free zones. We are in our 30s and have never needed a car. The only thing we'd need a car for is to occasionally transport big things, but I don't think this car would be big enough for that. It's just big enough to transport a couple of people and maybe some groceries.
Currently we solve that issue by renting a van once a year and asking a friend of us to drive it. Friend doesn't have money, we don't have a license, so they drive, we pay, and we both do all our necessary transport in one weekend. The main thing is a yearly trip to the dump because our city doesn't offer bulk thrash pickup.

It's not my inheritance so I don't feel I have a say in this decision, and our finances are mostly separate, but I just really can't imagine what kind of use we would get out of that car. I don't think selling and keeping the money would be an option.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8584 on: April 11, 2021, 08:17:34 AM »
It's a small car, don't know the exact model but it's a A- or B-segment, which is considered a regular sized car in Europe, probably extremely tiny by American standards. It's not too old but it's not brand new, it's apparantly cheap in taxes and efficient in fuel.
Mr. Imma is seriously considering accepting it, for practical and sentimental reasons.

BUT.

Neither of us have a driver's license. I'm working on getting it for work, but in all likelihood I won't get get medical clearance to drive a manual car. I won't need to own a car for work, I'm supposed to use a company vehicle when necessary. Mr. Imma has been thinking about getting his license ever since he came of age, but that's nearly 20 years ago and he hasn't wanted that license enough to get around to taking lessons. The cost of a driver's license is €2000-€2500 each, which is a lot, but we can afford it. Getting a driver's license is useful so that part is not something I object to.

But the car.... We don't need a car. We live in urban Europe, on the edge of downtown in a big city. Everyone we know lives in urban locations so we take the train to visit them. Fuel is expensive here and parking is a nightmare too. We take train holidays too, I hate car holidays. I hate sitting in a car in general, which is why I never bothered to get a license in the first place. Our jobs are within walking/cycling distance and so is the grocery store. Driving there would be less efficient because our city has lots of car-free zones. We are in our 30s and have never needed a car. The only thing we'd need a car for is to occasionally transport big things, but I don't think this car would be big enough for that. It's just big enough to transport a couple of people and maybe some groceries.
Currently we solve that issue by renting a van once a year and asking a friend of us to drive it. Friend doesn't have money, we don't have a license, so they drive, we pay, and we both do all our necessary transport in one weekend. The main thing is a yearly trip to the dump because our city doesn't offer bulk thrash pickup.

It's not my inheritance so I don't feel I have a say in this decision, and our finances are mostly separate, but I just really can't imagine what kind of use we would get out of that car. I don't think selling and keeping the money would be an option.

It has taken my parents years to understand why it is inpractical  for me to own a car as my needs for one is limited and it brings more hassle then it is worth. I have a driving license and I rent when I want or need to use a car. It is actually a lot cheaper then owning a car and I always get a late model car.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8585 on: April 11, 2021, 08:51:56 AM »

BUT.

It has taken my parents years to understand why it is inpractical  for me to own a car as my needs for one is limited and it brings more hassle then it is worth. I have a driving license and I rent when I want or need to use a car. It is actually a lot cheaper then owning a car and I always get a late model car.

I think that makes a lot of sense for people in urban areas. I think in older generations, owning a car is also a bit of a 'status' thing. You are in Sweden right? About a decade ago I travelled through south Sweden on my own, by train, and it was a lovely holiday. People were very friendly and curious and it was easy to travel from Stockholm to more rural historical locations that I wanted to see. 

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #8586 on: April 12, 2021, 12:55:29 AM »
The IRS flagged my federal tax return this year for identity verification. I go to their website, for which they require a phone number for two-factor authentication in order to register/login.

Except that they apparently don't accept cell phones on pre-paid plans.

After much struggle, the resolution was that they had to mail me a code... via snail mail.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8587 on: April 12, 2021, 03:42:30 AM »
Well, it makes sense. With a prepaid you have basically a free-of-jail card as far as identification goes.
Here in Germany we still often use post-ident: You go to the post office and the person there looks at you and your ID card and if they think you are what is written on that card, they sign the stuff (that was send to your adress before) and send it to the company. 
It it is not "safe" as in really sure, but a lot safer than any online ID. And not much of a hassle (putting aside Corona and the possible distance in low density areas).

Neither of us have a driver's license. I'm working on getting it for work, but in all likelihood I won't get get medical clearance to drive a manual car.

What medical things prevent you from driving a manual car but not getting a drivers licence for automatics? A lacking arm is the only thing I can imagine, and even there you just get a special car/steering wheel afaik. (Of course feel free to not talk about your medical stuff. I am just really curious.)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8588 on: April 12, 2021, 03:47:58 AM »

BUT.

I think that makes a lot of sense for people in urban areas. I think in older generations, owning a car is also a bit of a 'status' thing. You are in Sweden right? About a decade ago I travelled through south Sweden on my own, by train, and it was a lovely holiday. People were very friendly and curious and it was easy to travel from Stockholm to more rural historical locations that I wanted to see.

I am in Sweden. In the southern parts if works pretty well with public transport. In the northern parts, were my parents live, it is a lot more difficult at least if you don’t live in an urban area. It is also a status thing, at least partly. I think they have come to see it as a more of urban vs countryside thing. I also rent a car to make excursions when they visit and it has made them see all the hassle with parking and traffic in cities.

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #8589 on: April 12, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
We are in our 30s and have never needed a car.

I love that places exist where this can be possible.

For what it is worth, we have car-sharing co-ops that are good for occasional car/van use. It certainly saves on ownership costs.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #8590 on: April 12, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
Well, it makes sense. With a prepaid you have basically a free-of-jail card as far as identification goes.

It doesn't seem to stop every single other financial institution from accepting my cell phone number for their two-factor authentication texts.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8591 on: April 13, 2021, 12:11:57 AM »

It doesn't seem to stop every single other financial institution from accepting my cell phone number for their two-factor authentication texts.

Pretty sure in this case they are interfacing with telcos to confirm that the phone number is registered under your name.  Creepy maybe but it’s a technologically easy way to add confidence that you are who you say you are because telcos already do identity verification for postpaid accounts. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8592 on: April 13, 2021, 01:00:03 AM »
We are in our 30s and have never needed a car.

I love that places exist where this can be possible.

For what it is worth, we have car-sharing co-ops that are good for occasional car/van use. It certainly saves on ownership costs.

We are in urban the Netherlands! Our lives are bike-centered here. We chose our neighbourhood on purpose because it's so central. We also have those car-sharing things but we've never really needed that either. Bulky thrash has basically been our only problem so far - and that's only because we are buying all those things secondhand. If you buy a new fridge or washing machine from the store, they are obliged to take your old ones back with them, and furniture stores generally offer that as a service too. But by the time we are replacing our used stuff, they are in a bad enough shape that no one even wants to pick it up for free.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8593 on: April 14, 2021, 04:00:43 AM »

Pretty sure in this case they are interfacing with telcos to confirm that the phone number is registered under your name.  Creepy maybe but it’s a technologically easy way to add confidence that you are who you say you are because telcos already do identity verification for postpaid accounts.
Don't you have to identify yourself for opening that account?
That is where ID is verified. The two-factor phone is not to verify that you are you, but to identify you as you and not someone else trying to sneak through after the verification process.

Or in other words, one process is about making sure you are the person you say you are, the other process is to make sure it is that identified person that now does things.

Your mother knows you are you when you stand in front of her. On the phone it might be someone imitating the voice (so she might ask you something only you two know). Same principle.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8594 on: April 14, 2021, 08:07:05 AM »
We're having issues with my husband identifying himself to Ally.  We ended up having to pull his Lexis Nexis report and it turns out that there is a freaking boat registered to him that's not his.  But damn if it's not one of those questions they ask.  Along with a telephone number from nearly 15 years ago.  We finally got that set up and now have to send in a signature card.  I don't recall having to do that when I set up the first account last year.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8595 on: April 14, 2021, 02:00:20 PM »

Don't you have to identify yourself for opening that account?
That is where ID is verified. The two-factor phone is not to verify that you are you, but to identify you as you and not someone else trying to sneak through after the verification process.

Or in other words, one process is about making sure you are the person you say you are, the other process is to make sure it is that identified person that now does things.

Your mother knows you are you when you stand in front of her. On the phone it might be someone imitating the voice (so she might ask you something only you two know). Same principle.

That’s what I’m saying.  Some government systems verify identity at least partially by piggybacking off of phone records.  This is a separate issue from two-factor authentication after the fact

Read this

https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/articles/360021332874-Why-is-a-mobile-phone-required-to-prove-my-identity-

What if my mobile phone is not registered in my name?

As long as the phone number you provided is associated with your financial records, then it does not matter if the phone is in your name, or the name of a family member or a business.

However, if your phone number is not associated with your name or financial records, then you will be prompted to provide a different number.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8596 on: April 16, 2021, 08:14:54 PM »
We're having issues with my husband identifying himself to Ally.  We ended up having to pull his Lexis Nexis report and it turns out that there is a freaking boat registered to him that's not his.  But damn if it's not one of those questions they ask.  Along with a telephone number from nearly 15 years ago.  We finally got that set up and now have to send in a signature card.  I don't recall having to do that when I set up the first account last year.

Um, boat?!? How do you fix that?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8597 on: April 16, 2021, 08:48:43 PM »

You write to the registration authority and report to them that you do not own that boat.   Ditto with the credit bureaus and whatever organization any money might be owed to.    Be sure to include the phrase "FRAUD" and "FRAUDULENT" in that notice.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8598 on: April 17, 2021, 05:37:17 PM »

You write to the registration authority and report to them that you do not own that boat.   Ditto with the credit bureaus and whatever organization any money might be owed to.    Be sure to include the phrase "FRAUD" and "FRAUDULENT" in that notice.

What we've actually discovered is that the boat is correctly registered to someone with the same name as my husband.  Still not an ideal situation, but better than having to deal with both Lexis Nexis and the DMV.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8599 on: April 17, 2021, 08:34:04 PM »

What we've actually discovered is that the boat is correctly registered to someone with the same name as my husband.  Still not an ideal situation, but better than having to deal with both Lexis Nexis and the DMV.

Still. Messy.