Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 3134331 times)

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6700 on: September 24, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »
Had to pay for braces. Paid all at once to get the discount, rather than paying monthly for a year. But now my spreadsheet says that I spent half a year's budget last month, and my average yearly expenses, which I use to calculate my FI date, is all out of whack.

Did the orthodontics folks react oddly? We did this and apparently it is rare here to pay it all down at once?

I did it that way, too, for both my sons, using the HSA account.  Both times, the people at my orthodontist's office didn't bat an eye at the single payment, so either I'm not the only one doing it that way here, or they have good poker faces!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6701 on: September 26, 2019, 08:37:26 AM »
My USPS "Informed Delivery" this morning showed an incoming letter from the US Dept of Treasury.

Always a nerve-racking occurrence.

I logged into the IRS.gov website to view the 2018 transcript of my account. It looks they're mailing me an (unsolicited) check for about $175.
Apparently, when the IRS does this, they don't include an explanation along with the check.  Per some online forums, they send a SEPARATE notification in the postal mail (often weeks later) to explain.

2018 was the most complicated tax year of my life thus far -- many moving parts, sale of multiple rental properties, depreciation schedules, IRA re-characterizations, 1099-B's and amended 1099-B with dozens of pages of transactions, and more and more and more....

I really want to know where the discrepancy is!  I've been warned (by blog posts) to hold off from cashing the check.  If it turns out the IRS is in error, I'll owe interest and penalties if I cash the check.  MPP: Soooo, now I get to hold onto the check from today's mail -- and I get to wonder what happened for a few weeks.  And I have to waste more time to try to reconcile what happened.

Edit: And an open question I have -- that I can't seem to find an answer for online:  The check from the IRS is supposedly including "interest" on the amount that they owed me.  Will I then owe income tax on this interest income???  :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 09:02:37 AM by rantk81 »

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6702 on: September 26, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
Had to pay for braces. Paid all at once to get the discount, rather than paying monthly for a year. But now my spreadsheet says that I spent half a year's budget last month, and my average yearly expenses, which I use to calculate my FI date, is all out of whack.

Did the orthodontics folks react oddly? We did this and apparently it is rare here to pay it all down at once?

I did it that way, too, for both my sons, using the HSA account.  Both times, the people at my orthodontist's office didn't bat an eye at the single payment, so either I'm not the only one doing it that way here, or they have good poker faces!

We did it that way as well, both kids, because there is a discount both for that and not paying by credit card. So I think enough people do it otherwise they wouldn't be offering it.

MPP: number crunching the different dental plans to find out which one is the best deal for getting braces. It was close to a wash but one was 700 cheaper over the 2 year period so that's the one I switched to, and each time started the braces in Jan so I wouldn't have to pay additional dental insurance once the 2 year period was done.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:46:02 AM by partgypsy »

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6703 on: September 26, 2019, 10:25:59 AM »
Talking about braces etc. here is a very intersting article how it comes we all need them now, when not too long ago people didn't.

https://onezero.medium.com/our-skulls-are-out-evolving-us-and-that-could-mean-a-public-health-crisis-f950faed696d

Bonus point: Charles Darwin on the topic.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:59:37 PM by LennStar »

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6704 on: September 26, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
Talking about braces etc. here is a very intersting article how it comes we all need them now, when not too long ago people didn't.

I'd love to read the article, but the link didn't come through. Can you try again?

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6705 on: September 26, 2019, 01:59:52 PM »

https://onezero.medium.com/our-skulls-are-out-evolving-us-and-that-could-mean-a-public-health-crisis-f950faed696d

I'd love to read the article, but the link didn't come through. Can you try again?
edited.

julia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6706 on: September 26, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
I spend so little, that I can barely make my credit card sign up bonus minimums.
Exactly! I want a chase sapphire card for the great rewards, but I can't do the spending to get the sign up bonus.

Just buy a giftcard at the grocery store you shop at for the sign up bonus minimum amount. You'll eventually use it on food!

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6707 on: September 27, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »
I spend so little, that I can barely make my credit card sign up bonus minimums.
Exactly! I want a chase sapphire card for the great rewards, but I can't do the spending to get the sign up bonus.

Just buy a giftcard at the grocery store you shop at for the sign up bonus minimum amount. You'll eventually use it on food!

I'll prepay utilities. That way I don't even need to deal with a gift card ;)

never give up

• Magnum Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #6708 on: September 30, 2019, 10:53:56 AM »
Having become a Mustachian I now walk the five to six miles a day to and from work rather than drive. This is obviously a good thing but comes with a Mustachian People Problem.

As a result of not driving I need to use the changing room at work. This has been ok up to now but in the last few weeks Iíve had to put up with others using the changing room when I do. Itís not my own personal changing room of course so fair enough.

However one of them thinks itís acceptable to cut his toe nails in the changing room. Why wouldnít you do that at home? Another one thinks itís fine to fart like no one is around. You wouldnít do this in the main office so why is it ok around colleagues in a changing room? Lastly a third chap spends the entire time in the shower making the most disgusting noises in his throat and nose.

If I just drove to work like a normal person I wouldnít have to put up with this. So wish we luck tomorrow when I arrive at work, and Iíll have to see what combination of Farter, Snorter and Clipper I get to share the changing rooms with. Good grief putting it like that they sound like evil versions of Snow Whiteís dwarfs. I only need Scratchy, Towel Thief, Cougher and Aftershave Stencher to start using the facilities and Iíll have the whole set to contend with.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6709 on: September 30, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
Having become a Mustachian I now walk the five to six miles a day to and from work rather than drive. This is obviously a good thing but comes with a Mustachian People Problem.

As a result of not driving I need to use the changing room at work. This has been ok up to now but in the last few weeks Iíve had to put up with others using the changing room when I do. Itís not my own personal changing room of course so fair enough.

However one of them thinks itís acceptable to cut his toe nails in the changing room. Why wouldnít you do that at home? Another one thinks itís fine to fart like no one is around. You wouldnít do this in the main office so why is it ok around colleagues in a changing room? Lastly a third chap spends the entire time in the shower making the most disgusting noises in his throat and nose.

If I just drove to work like a normal person I wouldnít have to put up with this. So wish we luck tomorrow when I arrive at work, and Iíll have to see what combination of Farter, Snorter and Clipper I get to share the changing rooms with. Good grief putting it like that they sound like evil versions of Snow Whiteís dwarfs. I only need Scratchy, Towel Thief, Cougher and Aftershave Stencher to start using the facilities and Iíll have the whole set to contend with.

Don't join the military then. All sorts of this sort of thing. I was happy to leave all that behind.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6710 on: October 01, 2019, 03:12:06 AM »

If you only walk and not run, then you probably don't need to shower? At least, I don't need it when I walk a similar distance to work. Is there then an alternative like a handicap toilet where you can change your clothes?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6711 on: October 01, 2019, 06:20:19 AM »

If you only walk and not run, then you probably don't need to shower? At least, I don't need it when I walk a similar distance to work. Is there then an alternative like a handicap toilet where you can change your clothes?

It probably depends on where you live (and how fast you walk).

If I walked more than 2 miles, I would need a shower. Today's high is 98F (37C), not to mention humidity.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6712 on: October 01, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
My MPP: when the forums are DOWN for an entire day.

never give up

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6713 on: October 01, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »
I didnít expect any serious help for this issue, it was just good to share, but thanks, you guys rock!

Yes I like to walk quickly so very much need a shower when I arrive. Iíll have to hope their use of the changing rooms isnít permanent or vary my time slightly. I managed to avoid anyone displaying these characteristics today thankfully :-)

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6714 on: October 01, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »
I modified my spreadsheet for things that are yearly or every five or 10 years, so it didn't mess up my projected monthly spend

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6715 on: October 01, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
I should wait at least another week before applying for the Southwest business card and thus starting my journey toward a companion pass for 2020-21, but the waiting is killing me.

I guess impatience isn't really a MPP.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6716 on: October 02, 2019, 04:01:12 AM »
Yesterday, when leaving from work, I put 2 kiwis in my bag, that were leftover from the fruit bowl from the day before. This morning, back at work, I still have them in my bag, as I forgot to take them out.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6717 on: October 02, 2019, 09:26:01 AM »

Just be aware that Walmart grocery pickup doesn't currently accept gift cards, so if that's how you get groceries then you'll have to actually go in.  I have like $120 in WM gift cards that I've been holding onto for almost a year because I just don't wanna go inside.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6718 on: October 02, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
We have been working towards a merger for the last two years. Today we were told that the merger will only last for 2-4 years. After that, they will probably split the companies again (depending on political elections). Having FU money and FU education, I don't see any danger in the changes, and am having the time of my life.
This will be a complete chaos: should we change all our IT systems to fit together, or should be not give a shit? Should we try to convince all the department to change their purchasing routine, or just the ones that we'll have to deal with later? There will be as many opinions about this as there are coworkers, and the top bosses can't say anything because they have to be loyal to the ever changing political majority.

The last time we were in chaos, some of my coworkers got mad at me because I didn't take everything seriously. Luckily, a lot of people are on holiday, but I'll have to try to hide my mirth before the ones who worry about changes get back to the office next week.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6719 on: October 04, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »
The old version of YNAB is going away and I don't feel like I use it enough to pay $7/month for the new version, so I've been building my own expense tracking spreadsheet on Google Sheets. I put together a working version a few days ago, but now my problem is that I don't have enough spending to play around with the charts and reporting to make sure it all works :( it'll take a month or two to get more than a handful of lines of transactions to report on.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6720 on: October 04, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
The old version of YNAB is going away and I don't feel like I use it enough to pay $7/month for the new version, so I've been building my own expense tracking spreadsheet on Google Sheets. I put together a working version a few days ago, but now my problem is that I don't have enough spending to play around with the charts and reporting to make sure it all works :( it'll take a month or two to get more than a handful of lines of transactions to report on.

YNAB doesnít let you export your data?  Thatís something I do like about personal capital

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6721 on: October 04, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »

YNAB doesnít let you export your data?  Thatís something I do like about personal capital

It does, but I had decided to use this as an opportunity to start fresh. Although I could make a copy of the spreadsheet using the historical data just to make sure it's working fine. Thanks for the suggestion!

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6722 on: October 07, 2019, 09:20:57 PM »
I have a new MPP based on my old MPP. I recently gave my presentation on FIRE for our corporate retreat break out session. Now I have a few people who want to meet with me to talk about their FIRE plans. I just created more work for myself.

On the other hand, it was quite fun, and there are quite a few people who specifically chose to work as expats to FIRE more quickly, so that was nice to find out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6723 on: October 08, 2019, 12:41:39 AM »
I have a new MPP based on my old MPP. I recently gave my presentation on FIRE for our corporate retreat break out session. Now I have a few people who want to meet with me to talk about their FIRE plans. I just created more work for myself.

On the other hand, it was quite fun, and there are quite a few people who specifically chose to work as expats to FIRE more quickly, so that was nice to find out.

:-)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6724 on: October 09, 2019, 07:55:03 AM »
My MPP: when the forums are DOWN for an entire day.
That's nothing, my son has DOWN for his entire life!  But he's happy regardless ;)

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6725 on: October 09, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
I really want a blaze king catalytic wood stove. We had one when we lived in bush AK and it burned much more efficiently and cleaner than the one that came with our house. It would cost $3.5k for a new one or at least $2k used if I can even find one. MPP - I genuinely enjoy cutting and splitting firewood. I can't really justify spending a bunch of money to avoid work I enjoy...

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #6726 on: October 10, 2019, 12:22:06 AM »
A few years ago I sorted out threadbare and wornout bath towels to be used as cleaning rags. Yesterday we got the rags up from the cellar to clean the windows. I couldn't help but notice that meanwhile the bath towels for cleaning are in much better condition than the ones I am currently using in the bathroom.

So now I have to live with the fact that my cleaning rags are nicer than the towels that I use to dry my body.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6727 on: October 10, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »
A few years ago I sorted out threadbare and wornout bath towels to be used as cleaning rags. Yesterday we got the rags up from the cellar to clean the windows. I couldn't help but notice that meanwhile the bath towels for cleaning are in much better condition than the ones I am currently using in the bathroom.

So now I have to live with the fact that my cleaning rags are nicer than the towels that I use to dry my body.

LOL!  Can you switch them back again?  Or maybe it is time (gulp) to buy new towels?

I realized when I was decluttering before moving that I was using things that were not in good enough shape to donate.  Guess which items got decluttered?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6728 on: October 10, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »

LOL!  Can you switch them back again?  Or maybe it is time (gulp) to buy new towels?

I realized when I was decluttering before moving that I was using things that were not in good enough shape to donate.  Guess which items got decluttered?

No, that is not allowed.  Sorry, the towel laws are clear.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6729 on: October 11, 2019, 07:24:48 AM »
es I donít keep it at work. It was the change in hours that altered my routine and my coworkers not being used to seeing me eat breakfast at work. If I kept it at work I would fear it would be kidnapped and I would be sent a ransom note.

Why are you posting the same text as never give up from a year ago?

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6730 on: October 11, 2019, 08:18:00 AM »
My MPP is a happy one. Yesterday I ordered a share of grains and legumes from a group of local farmers who operate a CSA. (Since grains are sold on in truck-sized quantities, the CSA helps them to sell remainder portions. It helps them, and customers get a terrific price). Since I volunteered at last year's distribution day, they gave me lots of extra, and I still have quite a bit remaining. Now, I have to plan on eating or giving away all sorts of things before the new batch arrives in January.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6731 on: October 11, 2019, 09:14:16 AM »
es I donít keep it at work. It was the change in hours that altered my routine and my coworkers not being used to seeing me eat breakfast at work. If I kept it at work I would fear it would be kidnapped and I would be sent a ransom note.

Probable spam bot. Report!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6732 on: October 11, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »

Probable spam bot. Report!
Probable Borg! Shields Up, Red Alert! It's right there in the name!....eerkkk.... Resistance is futile.

never give up

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6733 on: October 11, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
Help me help me! Save my breakfast bowl and save me!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6734 on: October 11, 2019, 12:34:03 PM »

You could also move houses. For staging a home, you need decent (new) looking towels. We have just purchased a new set. Even before the old ones are threadbare. But they had to look new and fit with the bathroom tiles.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6735 on: October 12, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »

You could also move houses. For staging a home, you need decent (new) looking towels. We have just purchased a new set. Even before the old ones are threadbare. But they had to look new and fit with the bathroom tiles.

I have this MPP. When I was in the military, I moved often enough that I always had nice towels from staging the previous house, but now that Iím retired and staying put longer, I donít have an excuse to buy new towels. I hadnít considered selling my house just to justify new towels, but if I buy a bigger house, I can also find a spot for the extra end table and lamp that I have. Thanks for the tip Linda!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6736 on: October 14, 2019, 02:47:17 AM »
One of my sidegig projects was going to pay out for this year. I think I worked only twice this year. But when I printed a list of my worked hours (per their instructions), it showed many more hours. Even some that I should have worked while I was on vacation.

I could just have received a lot more payment, but I am an honest person, so I have told them that the program shows wrong results.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6737 on: October 14, 2019, 07:23:11 AM »
Cross-posted from the anti anti Mustachian overheard at work thread...

For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because Iím extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties. Being Mustachian is such hard work...
I'm reading this post a little late, I was going to suggest you start a thread to get ideas about what to include in the talk.
If you already had it, how did it go?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6738 on: October 14, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »

We did that for both of my kids braces, but I was disappointed with the discount the dentist gave and ask for more, he didn't give it.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6739 on: October 14, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
Cross-posted from the anti anti Mustachian overheard at work thread...

For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because Iím extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties. Being Mustachian is such hard work...
I'm reading this post a little late, I was going to suggest you start a thread to get ideas about what to include in the talk.
If you already had it, how did it go?

It went well; we had a few people show up who were not on the list. There were a wide range of people at different points in the journey, so I just went over general principles, talked about Investment Order, and gave them a bunch of links to resources and blogs.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #6740 on: October 14, 2019, 09:26:47 PM »
My MPP of the day: 

I had opened Chase savings & checking accounts to get cash back and points/miles several months ago.  I had kept the accounts long enough and had received my bonus and points.  I closed both accounts. 

Went home and immediately had an email from Chase that one account was overdrawn by 34 cents.  I called Chase & they said I had to go in and pay the 34 cents.  I went the next day.  The teller told me it was actually 8 cents I owed.  I gave her 8 cents and she gave me a receipt.  The receipt says the account now has 16 cents in it.

Still worth the cash & points.  Just wondering if I'm the first person ever to close a Chase account.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6741 on: October 14, 2019, 09:36:34 PM »
My MPP of the day: 

I had opened Chase savings & checking accounts to get cash back and points/miles several months ago.  I had kept the accounts long enough and had received my bonus and points.  I closed both accounts. 

Went home and immediately had an email from Chase that one account was overdrawn by 34 cents.  I called Chase & they said I had to go in and pay the 34 cents.  I went the next day.  The teller told me it was actually 8 cents I owed.  I gave her 8 cents and she gave me a receipt.  The receipt says the account now has 16 cents in it.

Still worth the cash & points.  Just wondering if I'm the first person ever to close a Chase account.

I closed a Chase account years ago because I had left the US (had opened one as a graduate student). I got a letter from them saying that the account was overdrawn by $0.00 and I need to go to a branch to pay it off before they could close the account. It was weird. I think I ignored the letter.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6742 on: October 14, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »
My MPP of the day: 

I closed a Chase account years ago because I had left the US (had opened one as a graduate student). I got a letter from them saying that the account was overdrawn by $0.00 and I need to go to a branch to pay it off before they could close the account. It was weird. I think I ignored the letter.

It wasn't Chase in my case, but I once closed a bank account and transferred an IRA simultaneously out of the same bank (closing all my accounts at once). They accidentally(?) left a couple of bucks in the checking account, apparently didn't actually close it, and didn't shut off the monthly auto-invest into the (also apparently not closed) IRA. So a couple of weeks later I got a notice that I was overdrawn some random-looking amount (IRA contribution minus the random couple of dollars and miscellaneous cents they'd left in there) because of an auto-transfer between two accounts that should have been closed. I was REALLY not happy to have to spend an hour at a bank branch getting that sorted out. They had the gall to tell me I should have told them to stop the auto-invest between my closed (yet mysteriously still active?) accounts. Because clearly this debacle of accounting was MY fault...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6743 on: October 14, 2019, 11:26:06 PM »
I still have about 27p in my ye olde children's savings account. Every year or so I get about half a farthing in interest and think I should really actually figure out how to close the account, but I think they won't let me withdraw less than £1 or something and so it ticks on...

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #6744 on: October 15, 2019, 08:57:05 AM »
My MPP of the day: 

It wasn't Chase in my case, but I once closed a bank account and transferred an IRA simultaneously out of the same bank (closing all my accounts at once). They accidentally(?) left a couple of bucks in the checking account, apparently didn't actually close it, and didn't shut off the monthly auto-invest into the (also apparently not closed) IRA. So a couple of weeks later I got a notice that I was overdrawn some random-looking amount (IRA contribution minus the random couple of dollars and miscellaneous cents they'd left in there) because of an auto-transfer between two accounts that should have been closed. I was REALLY not happy to have to spend an hour at a bank branch getting that sorted out. They had the gall to tell me I should have told them to stop the auto-invest between my closed (yet mysteriously still active?) accounts. Because clearly this debacle of accounting was MY fault...

Yes, why didn't you foresee their mistake and prevent it??  Ha.

never give up

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6745 on: October 15, 2019, 10:29:16 AM »
I'm going to spend more on public transport next month than the rest of the year combined because I'm going to a MMM meet-up.

One of the loveliest Mustachian People Problems to have.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6746 on: October 15, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
Today's MPP is that I had intended to just buy my kid's Halloween costume this year.  But I've discovered that the costume he wanted, while super popular two years ago, is not available in his size for an amount that I'm willing to pay.  So, now I have to brave Walmart this afternoon to try to find something that will work.  Or he's going to have to pick something else, which will be his MPP for the day.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6747 on: October 16, 2019, 12:23:06 AM »
I still have about 27p in my ye olde children's savings account. Every year or so I get about half a farthing in interest and think I should really actually figure out how to close the account, but I think they won't let me withdraw less than £1 or something and so it ticks on...

That's simple. Just notify the bank that you want them to close the account and give them another bankaccountnumber to put the remaining money on.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6748 on: October 16, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »

That's simple. Just notify the bank that you want them to close the account and give them another bankaccountnumber to put the remaining money on.

If they won't cooperate when you're at the teller's window to close out the account, just say, in an astonished voice loud enough for EVERYONE in the bank to hear, "What?   You can't give me the money in my account?   Why?  Doesn't the bank have ENOUGH MONEY???   Is that the problem?  The bank doesn't HAVE ENOUGH MONEY to let me have my money???"

I guarantee that you will have successfully escalated the situation to the highest ranking person present at the bank.

Anything they say to you that you don't like, just repeat, loud enough to be heard by others, "But it's MY money.   YOU agree it's MY money.  So why won't you give me my money?   Doesn't the bank have enough money to cover it?"

I pulled something similar one time when I was working in fast food during high school.   The paychecks were drawn on a bank right next door to where I worked.   I didn't have an account at the bank because they were the slowest (and most robbed) bank in the city.  I used to say the robbers were just people who got tired of waiting in line.  But they were handy for if I wanted to cash my check during a work break, so I went over to do so.   I spent well over 5 minutes standing in line with 4 tellers available, none of whom were meeting with other customers.   By the time they got around to seeing to my needs there was a line behind me.   The teller refused to cash the check because I didn't have an account at that bank.

"What??   You can't cash this check drawn on your bank?    Isn't there ENOUGH MONEY here?   Is that the problem?   You don't have the money to cover this check?"

Gosh, golly, but a manager materialized out of nowhere and rushed that transaction through.   Never saw anyone at that bank move so quickly, before or after.)

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6749 on: October 16, 2019, 09:58:23 AM »
I wouldn't even consider causing a scene like that for a few cents.  IMO that's just ridiculous.