Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086737 times)

Irishtache

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5050 on: April 18, 2018, 03:25:54 AM »
 Yep. When I was a kid in Ireland they used to send a van with a scanner around the neighborhood. If they thought you were watching illegally, they could knock at your door and ask questions, but you didn't have to answer the door or let them in.[/quote]

Wasn't that just a scam, Dave, to frighten TV owners into paying the TV licence? Those vans have been off the roads for years. In fact, I have never seen one. I think they just use voter lists and local authority planning lists to follow up on licences now. They are now talking about bringing in a new Communication tax, to replace the TV licence, to cover all forms of digital content/access.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5051 on: April 18, 2018, 04:27:16 AM »
Yep. When I was a kid in Ireland they used to send a van with a scanner around the neighborhood. If they thought you were watching illegally, they could knock at your door and ask questions, but you didn't have to answer the door or let them in.

Wasn't that just a scam, Dave, to frighten TV owners into paying the TV licence? Those vans have been off the roads for years. In fact, I have never seen one. I think they just use voter lists and local authority planning lists to follow up on licences now. They are now talking about bringing in a new Communication tax, to replace the TV licence, to cover all forms of digital content/access.
[/quote]

Maybe it is registered when you buy a new TV. This is what Norway has been doing for the last few decades.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5052 on: April 18, 2018, 05:03:45 AM »
Is is per TV? or per antenna?  Either way I'd be hosed, as I have 3 functioning TV's and the same # of antennas, as I haven't hooked up the TV's to the big antenna in the attic.     No cable to any TV.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5053 on: April 18, 2018, 05:20:53 AM »
Yep. When I was a kid in Ireland they used to send a van with a scanner around the neighborhood. If they thought you were watching illegally, they could knock at your door and ask questions, but you didn't have to answer the door or let them in.

[/quote]

I have no idea whether it was a scam or not. This was back in the late '70s, and we always had a license, so it wasn't something that concerned us.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5054 on: April 18, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »
Who's got the burden of proof there, though?
They do. We still have the concept of innocent until proved guilty in this country (just :))

I've got a nice TV, but haven't had a TV licence since 2006 or so. I don't watch live TV or iPlayer, I just use it for gaming and movies. I just throw their stupid letters in the bin when they arrive (seemingly on a weekly basis).

Recently a friend who's a bit short of money followed my lead and didn't renew his licence. As he says, "it's mostly a load of crap anyway, I was never watching it".

But honestly, how do they ever prosecute anyone, then? They can't just lurk around outside your house in the bushes with binoculars hoping you'll crack and turn on Eastenders.
However they do it, they certainly do keep themselves very busy prosecuting people.  It was recently reported that one in ten of all criminal prosecutions in the UK are for failure to have a TV licence.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #5055 on: April 18, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
Who's got the burden of proof there, though?
They do. We still have the concept of innocent until proved guilty in this country (just :))

I've got a nice TV, but haven't had a TV licence since 2006 or so. I don't watch live TV or iPlayer, I just use it for gaming and movies. I just throw their stupid letters in the bin when they arrive (seemingly on a weekly basis).

Recently a friend who's a bit short of money followed my lead and didn't renew his licence. As he says, "it's mostly a load of crap anyway, I was never watching it".

But honestly, how do they ever prosecute anyone, then? They can't just lurk around outside your house in the bushes with binoculars hoping you'll crack and turn on Eastenders.

I recall reading that the overwhelming majority of prosecutions are from confessions either at the initial visit or subsequent interviews. I also read that at the time (think it was about 2015) evidence from the 'detector vans' had never been used in a UK court.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5056 on: April 19, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
I was asked by the client (I'm on the road for work currently) if I was going to do some extra work during their busy time coming up, I told them I'd be happy to do anything I could to assist (I honestly would much rather work 60-70 hours/week than 50 if I'm living in a hotel anyway, get the higher pay to offset the reduction in quality of life while on the road). The result was I'm going from 5 ten hour days/week (and two boring days on a weekend hours away from anything interesting) to 7 ten hour days/week for the next few weeks. 

So, you may be wondering how that's a MPP.. well, the extra pay from all that extra OT meant I had to go adjust my 401k calculations for the year and drop my contribution percentage down since my company doesn't do a "true-up" match (so I need to keep a minimum of 6% going in all year to get the full company matching).

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #5057 on: April 19, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »
I was asked by the client (I'm on the road for work currently) if I was going to do some extra work during their busy time coming up, I told them I'd be happy to do anything I could to assist (I honestly would much rather work 60-70 hours/week than 50 if I'm living in a hotel anyway, get the higher pay to offset the reduction in quality of life while on the road). The result was I'm going from 5 ten hour days/week (and two boring days on a weekend hours away from anything interesting) to 7 ten hour days/week for the next few weeks. 

So, you may be wondering how that's a MPP.. well, the extra pay from all that extra OT meant I had to go adjust my 401k calculations for the year and drop my contribution percentage down since my company doesn't do a "true-up" match (so I need to keep a minimum of 6% going in all year to get the full company matching).

Some day I want to go back through this thread and see what percent of MPPs are exactly this. I know mine was, and have seen a few other posts of basically the same story. I'd be really amused if it comes out to be ~1/3 or more of all posts.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, just my sense of humor.

hykue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5058 on: April 20, 2018, 11:11:19 PM »
I forgot that people (like actual humans that I might know) carry credit card debt and embarassed myself by flippantly talking about how credit cards are not a scam, you just pay the full balance every month and reap the travel miles! When they looked at me like I had three heads and sarcastically remarked "oh yeah, I pay it right off every month. Zero!", I was speechless and now I can't talk to the other moms at my kid's tiny school :/ This isn't the first time this has happened. So I'm grateful to my parents for keeping me from that fate, but how the hell am I supposed to make friends when I keep forgetting that I'm an alien?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5059 on: April 21, 2018, 04:49:48 AM »
Credit cards do seem the easy answer sometimes. It is kind of a domino effect. A person has no money saved and an emergency situation come up like a major car repair of $1,000. The person charges the repair and when payday comes, there still isn't enough money to pay off that $1,000. Then the person makes more than the minimum payment of let's say $200 and they still have a balance of $800 plus interest fees. One problem in this case is not having a nest egg to be able to dip into when there is an emergency.

Another scenario is those who want stuff but don't need stuff. They want it now so they charge all of their desires with no way to pay it off at the end of the month or even by the end of the year.

Some people came from families where using plastic stupidly was a way of life. There should be more classes taught to kids to make them understand real world spending and bill pay. I could see it as a real life situation where they are given choices on how to spend their money. They would be tempted with 'cool' things and mundane things like paying the bills. They would experience things like car repairs, Johnny needs braces, lunch money...all of life's realities.

Plastic is good and plastic is bad. People make good and bad choices with it.

We are all bombarded with TV ads to buy things 24/7. The internet is full of constant pop ups enticing us to buy, buy, buy. We drive by billboards, the grocery store and gas stations have TV's with advertising. We are made to feel like crap if we don't buy our kids the latest and greatest toys that are played with for two hours and end up at the bottom of the toy box. We have to learn to say NO!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5060 on: April 21, 2018, 05:55:36 AM »
[Snip] We have to learn to say NO!

Uh, we have learned to say NO! That's why we're here. Your post does illustrate that travel hacking is yet another way the rich get richer. Never thought of it that way...

[Snip]... how the hell am I supposed to make friends when I keep forgetting that I'm an alien?
You're not an alien here, you're among friends. Welcome!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5061 on: April 21, 2018, 06:01:11 AM »
DH bought a Tesla (I chose not to veto it, since it was important for him), and I don't know how to deal with it.

Against: It is way more money than I would ever want to spend on a car.
For: It is the oldest and cheapest one he could find (2013, with 200 000 km, total cost 35k).

Against: We managed fine with our Nissan eNV200
For: Ok, I admit it, it got really annoying having to stop to charge it every 80-100 km. Now I can use it for work related driving, and get reimbursed .45/km, rather than use the company cars or hitch rides.

Against: People think we are rich, or that we are stupid enough to get a big car loan
For: We did pay in cash, and it doesn't matter what people think

Against: Our monthly expenses increased with $50 due to extra insurance
For: We got cheaper insurance on the other car, as a package deal. And all other costs are covered; it is free to charge on superchargers, free to park, free on toll roads, etc. I can definetely seeing myself driving places in the Tesla instead of going by plane. That is not an option with the Nissan.

Dh is happy, and there are a lot of positive sides to having a car with longer range. So I will just have to breathe deeply and accept that we now are clown car owners.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #5062 on: April 23, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
How dare you refer to a Tesla as a clown car!  For shame. Getting such a technological marvel with style and utility the Mustachian way (used and cheap given the original retail price)  is not a MPP.  And it made your hubby happy?  Bonus; rejoice by having the Tesla dance for you (there's an Easter Egg for this that's really cool - you can find out how on You-tube).

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #5063 on: April 23, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »
(bwahahahaha)

TESLA MPP HAIKU

Gaja's stylish car
Is a Tesla full of charge
Clown car or not?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5064 on: April 24, 2018, 01:09:10 AM »
How dare you refer to a Tesla as a clown car!  For shame. Getting such a technological marvel with style and utility the Mustachian way (used and cheap given the original retail price)  is not a MPP.  And it made your hubby happy?  Bonus; rejoice by having the Tesla dance for you (there's an Easter Egg for this that's really cool - you can find out how on You-tube).

Indeed, a second hand Tesla that has driven 200.000 km is not a clown car. Teslas are the only electrical cars that can drive long distances on one charge. If your only car is an electrical one and you need to drive far, Tesla is the only practical option. Why aren't there made more options?

Buying a new, fancy type Tesla would perhaps have been a clown car.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5065 on: April 24, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »
What makes for a clown car? Is it a clunker?

Luckyvik

• Stubble

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5067 on: April 24, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
What makes for a clown car? Is it a clunker?

Having way more car (truck) than you need for 99% of the driving you do. Like an 8-passenger, gas guzzling SUV instead of a reasonable car when all you do is commute to work, alone, and maybe once a year have a situation where it’s useful. And it helps to be in debt over it. Upside down is better.

You’ve read the MMM blog, no? It’s discussed many times.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5068 on: April 24, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
Have seen 'clown car' many times but didn't know what exactly it was.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #5069 on: April 24, 2018, 07:30:47 AM »
I paid cash for my new car but told coworkers I financed so they'd stop inviting me out for $5 coffee beverages.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5070 on: April 24, 2018, 07:49:24 AM »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5071 on: April 24, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »
I use an internet bank and the module "my economy" in that bank where I can follow my transactions.
I am starting to find it boring to use. Practically all my bills are paid automatically. Most of my transactions are registered automatically and correctly. Once or twice a month I buy some more index funds. But otherwise there is very little to do and to see. I spend so little at the moment, that even watching my transactions isn't very exciting.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5072 on: April 26, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »
I use an internet bank and the module "my economy" in that bank where I can follow my transactions.
I am starting to find it boring to use. Practically all my bills are paid automatically. Most of my transactions are registered automatically and correctly. Once or twice a month I buy some more index funds. But otherwise there is very little to do and to see. I spend so little at the moment, that even watching my transactions isn't very exciting.

Hahaha this sounds like my bank statements!

I have a good look at my online banking at the last day of the month to check if I have been payed and all the automated transfers to the joint account and investment account have gone through. Then I transfer the rest of the money except for €200 to a savings account.

I login maybe once a week to quickly check the balance, but the only things I ever seem to pay are groceries and the occasional bus or train ticket.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5073 on: April 30, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »

Hahaha this sounds like my bank statements!

I have a good look at my online banking at the last day of the month to check if I have been payed and all the automated transfers to the joint account and investment account have gone through. Then I transfer the rest of the money except for €200 to a savings account.

I login maybe once a week to quickly check the balance, but the only things I ever seem to pay are groceries and the occasional bus or train ticket.

I didn't look into it for nearly 2 month. Got enough cash for a quarter for a reason, and I always get an email when the card is used. So there is nothing happening there I don't already know and nothing I have to control for this time span. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5074 on: April 30, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
I went to get my car washed today and handed over my punch card. I was pretty happy about it because I'm one punch away from a free wash. Well, the guy tells me, they haven't accepted those punch cards in like 1 1/2 or 2 years! I was like, "Are you telling me I haven't gotten my car washed in like 2 years?" I had to go home and check my mint records -- not as bad as 2 years, but it has actually been 9 months :-) Sounds like now I built up all those punches but will never get a free wash from them!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5075 on: May 01, 2018, 01:36:58 AM »
I went to get my car washed today and handed over my punch card. I was pretty happy about it because I'm one punch away from a free wash. Well, the guy tells me, they haven't accepted those punch cards in like 1 1/2 or 2 years! I was like, "Are you telling me I haven't gotten my car washed in like 2 years?" I had to go home and check my mint records -- not as bad as 2 years, but it has actually been 9 months :-) Sounds like now I built up all those punches but will never get a free wash from them!!!

I still have a card from a clothing shop, giving me the 5th trousers for free. I got it when I bought three pairs. I asked the shop when the card would expire and the girl thought it wouldn't. Now we are a couple of years later and I still haven't bought my next pair. My next trouser pair will be made by DH and is almost finished.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5076 on: May 01, 2018, 02:52:57 AM »

I still have a card from a clothing shop, giving me the 5th trousers for free. I got it when I bought three pairs. I asked the shop when the card would expire and the girl thought it wouldn't. Now we are a couple of years later and I still haven't bought my next pair. My next trouser pair will be made by DH and is almost finished.

Unless it has a printed expiration date I’d still make them give me the freebie.   This isn’t nam, there are rules

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5077 on: May 03, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
I may not be accepted into my local buy nothing group.  It had one of those answer these questions when applying. 

The first was do you realize you can't sell stuff here easy yes.  In the second, the snark came out, I admit.

page:  You realize this store is closed on Sunday?

Answer: Why, but OK.  I was just kind of annoyed at this, A) it's not a store and B) why the heck are you dictating if two people want to do a transaction at any particular time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5078 on: May 03, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »
I may not be accepted into my local buy nothing group.  It had one of those answer these questions when applying. 

The first was do you realize you can't sell stuff here easy yes.  In the second, the snark came out, I admit.

Answer: Why, but OK.  I was just kind of annoyed at this, A) it's not a store and B) why the heck are you dictating if two people want to do a transaction at any particular time.

I wasn’t accepted and really consider the system to have excessive gatekeeping.  Donated to goodwill instead

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5079 on: May 03, 2018, 10:15:55 PM »

Wait, what? Are you not allowed to post stuff on the page on a Sunday? The day that people traditionally have time to sort through their shit and chuck stuff? My mind is blown. @HappierAtHome is there such a rule on your local group?!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5080 on: May 03, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »

Wait, what? Are you not allowed to post stuff on the page on a Sunday? The day that people traditionally have time to sort through their shit and chuck stuff? My mind is blown. @HappierAtHome is there such a rule on your local group?!!

Definitely not! Maybe it depends on how religious your local area is?! But I think it probably violates the rules of the overarching Buy Nothing admin group, which manages the local groups quite fiercely...

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5081 on: May 04, 2018, 05:15:34 AM »
I would like to join Buy Nothing, but I believe you must create a Facebook account (?) which I will not do. 

I've subscribed to the local FreeCycle group, but it's not very active -- maybe one post every day or two.  So far our local Craigslist 'Free' section seems the best, but far from ideal.  :(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5082 on: May 04, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »

Definitely not! Maybe it depends on how religious your local area is?! But I think it probably violates the rules of the overarching Buy Nothing admin group, which manages the local groups quite fiercely...

That definitely sounds like it's not an official BNP group. Here's the official website: https://buynothingproject.org/ If they use the banner up top, and they're not an official group, please report them to an actual Buy Nothing group in your area- it's copyright violation, and a big problem right now. If it IS an official group, please ask who your regional admin is and send them a message. (Basically, if someone is listed on the admins and isn't your local admin, you can reach out to them- although you're unlikely to hear back from Rora, Shelley, or Liesl, since they're the global team).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns with this! Unofficial offshoot groups impersonating the official thing are really impacting participation and perception of the project.

I would like to join Buy Nothing, but I believe you must create a Facebook account (?) which I will not do. 

I've subscribed to the local FreeCycle group, but it's not very active -- maybe one post every day or two.  So far our local Craigslist 'Free' section seems the best, but far from ideal.  :(

Yep, only through facebook.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5083 on: May 04, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »

That definitely sounds like it's not an official BNP group. Here's the official website: https://buynothingproject.org/ If they use the banner up top, and they're not an official group, please report them to an actual Buy Nothing group in your area- it's copyright violation, and a big problem right now. If it IS an official group, please ask who your regional admin is and send them a message. (Basically, if someone is listed on the admins and isn't your local admin, you can reach out to them- although you're unlikely to hear back from Rora, Shelley, or Liesl, since they're the global team).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns with this! Unofficial offshoot groups impersonating the official thing are really impacting participation and perception of the project.

Yep, only through facebook.

Hmm, looks like the group I asked to belong too is not the official.  It was much larger than the true buy nothing group from the posted link

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #5084 on: May 05, 2018, 04:30:59 PM »
My dad had money in an account that he wanted to gift to me for the purpose of spending it on "fun." I told him that my fun didn't involve spending money. He insisted that it HAD to be spent on fun (it's $500 & a check). I am considering combining fitness, fun & family vacation & purchasing a single seater kayak (Airkayak) to pair with our 2 seater air kayak as well as a nice 4-6 person tent. If I buy items on clearance,  the $500 should cover both purchases. We purchased our backcountry camping equipment & 2 seater Airkayak before our 3 year old son was born. I still can't seem to pull the trigger on this purchase, though.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5085 on: May 05, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
My dad had money in an account that he wanted to gift to me for the purpose of spending it on "fun." I told him that my fun didn't involve spending money. He insisted that it HAD to be spent on fun (it's $500 & a check). I am considering combining fitness, fun & family vacation & purchasing a single seater kayak (Airkayak) to pair with our 2 seater air kayak as well as a nice 4-6 person tent. If I buy items on clearance,  the $500 should cover both purchases. We purchased our backcountry camping equipment & 2 seater Airkayak before our 3 year old son was born. I still can't seem to pull the trigger on this purchase, though.
Ugh, that’s the “worst.” My boss did something similar with an Amazon gift card he insisted I spend on something “irresponsible.”  I stocked up on vacuum cleaner bags. Probably the least sexy thing I could buy on Amazon.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5086 on: May 05, 2018, 09:04:01 PM »
Nah there is worse

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #5087 on: May 05, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
Ugh, that’s the “worst.” My boss did something similar with an Amazon gift card he insisted I spend on something “irresponsible.”  I stocked up on vacuum cleaner bags. Probably the least sexy thing I could buy on Amazon.

Hey, don't knock the appeal of a clean house.

:)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5088 on: May 06, 2018, 01:17:28 AM »
Ugh, I hate it when gifts come with strings attached. My family does that too. They want me to "spoil myself" but whatever I want is just not good enough. And I hate perfume and spa treatments and make-up and new clothes (which is what they mean).

This is why my s/o and I don't exchange birthday or christmas gifts. The very first birthday we celebrated when we first got together was mine. He asked me what I wanted and I said I'd like a nice new wallet. By that time it was almost 15 years old and the zipper was damaged beyond repair. He flat out refused to give me a wallet because it was such a stupid gift. I said I didn't really want anything else. We then decided to never give each other gifts, just bake a cake and take the other person out for dinner.

I kept that wallet for a few more years and lost it a month back after 20 years. My birthday is coming up this summer, maybe I should ask for one again.... I still don't know what's wrong with giving someone a wallet. That's like a mini purse and a purse would be a good gift for a woman, right?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5089 on: May 06, 2018, 01:31:10 AM »
I still don't know what's wrong with giving someone a wallet. That's like a mini purse and a purse would be a good gift for a woman, right?

One of my favorite gifts I ever got was a wallet! I'd been complaining to my mom about how hard it was to find a wallet I liked (basically looking for a man's style wallet with a pocket for coins, which for some reason was impossible to find). She either remembered exactly what I wanted or was secretly taking notes... She went on vacation in Spain with my dad and saw a leather goods store with a ton of nice wallets, and she made my dad help her search until they found the perfect one. I carry it every day and think of them. :-)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5090 on: May 06, 2018, 02:06:55 AM »
Hmm,  that's pretty irresponsible.  My last two vacuums died with a stockpile of bags sitting in the closet that I had to donate.   (when will I learn). 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5091 on: May 06, 2018, 06:32:42 AM »
Ugh, I hate it when gifts come with strings attached. My family does that too. They want me to "spoil myself" but whatever I want is just not good enough. And I hate perfume and spa treatments and make-up and new clothes (which is what they mean).

My boss did that last Christmas.  She gave me a gift card to a local fancy gourmet food place.  I went there with my husband and kids and upon seeing the ridiculous prices for food items we decided just to sit down in the attached restaurant and have pizza and fancy beers (for the grownups), which used up the entire gift card.  When I told her this, she said that I should have spent the money "on myself" but I don't think she gets that once you have kids spending time with them and treating them to fancy pizza is spending 'on yourself'.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5092 on: May 06, 2018, 06:52:31 AM »
"Irresponsible"?
Like a camping tour where your phones don't have connection?

(Referring to that university who wants to shut down the hiking club because they go where the student's phones have no connection and that is too dangerous. You can still play rugby though.)

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #5093 on: May 06, 2018, 07:54:07 AM »
I am the mom of a sick kid (cancer - he's doing much better).

I'm in a bunch of support groups online.  I realized this week I may be one of the only ones with no go fund me, no fundraisers, no t-shirt selling, no #mysickkidsnameSTRONG, no financial free fall, no trying to juggle work and caring for the child. 

We used FU money for me to quit working entirely.   

CoffeeAndDonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5094 on: May 07, 2018, 03:21:15 AM »
The 2018 HSA contribution limit started at $6900, then dropped to $6850, now just increased back to $6,900. Our bookkeeper must think I'm crazy that I front load the HSA and am on top of notifying her of the change and impacts almost immediately.

Separately, by virtue of having too many amex numbers (a not uncommon practice in US travel hacking), I can buy about $900 of stuff from Target online with an effective discount around 40% but only through the end of may. I'm wasting too much time trying to figure out what to buy. Our groceries are pretty well stocked as it is and, even though we just bought a new home, and have a kid, I can't find hardly anything to buy! And when I do, I get caught in analysis paralysis (e.g. will these gardening gloves really fit, are they good quality). I try to walk away but...40% off at a decent scale at Target! Surely I can put that to good use?!? Garrr.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5095 on: May 07, 2018, 05:34:17 AM »
The 2018 HSA contribution limit started at $6900, then dropped to $6850, now just increased back to $6,900. Our bookkeeper must think I'm crazy that I front load the HSA and am on top of notifying her of the change and impacts almost immediately.

Separately, by virtue of having too many amex numbers (a not uncommon practice in US travel hacking), I can buy about $900 of stuff from Target online with an effective discount around 40% but only through the end of may. I'm wasting too much time trying to figure out what to buy. Our groceries are pretty well stocked as it is and, even though we just bought a new home, and have a kid, I can't find hardly anything to buy! And when I do, I get caught in analysis paralysis (e.g. will these gardening gloves really fit, are they good quality). I try to walk away but...40% off at a decent scale at Target! Surely I can put that to good use?!? Garrr.

Why do people have so many Amex cards? Aren’t the best bonuses “once in a lifetime”?  It seems like the other bonuses are not very attractive or carry annual fees

Can you just buy target gift cards?  Or an expensive returnable item, returned for store credit

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5096 on: May 07, 2018, 05:42:14 AM »
CoffeeAndDonuts, Have you considered buying a couple hundred dollars of canned foods to donate to your local food bank? You could give them a call to see what they would use before you buy stuff.

Maybe you could buy some shrubs, bulbs, grass seed, small trees, fertilizer, bark mulch, an out door bench, planters, hoses, garden art, potting soil, hanging plants, picnic table, rakes, shovels, tomato plants, pepper plants.

Stock up on canned items like beans, chicken, ham, corned beef hash, roast beef hash, tomatoes, canned pumpkin, pineapple, canned fruit, canned tuna.

Window air conditioner, dehumidifier, fans, ceiling fans, simple human garbage can, vacuum sealer, sous vide, Deebot vac, Dyson vac.

Laptop...Good luck!

CoffeeAndDonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5097 on: May 07, 2018, 05:56:22 AM »
Why do people have so many Amex cards? Aren’t the best bonuses “once in a lifetime”?  It seems like the other bonuses are not very attractive or carry annual fees

Can you just buy target gift cards?  Or an expensive returnable item, returned for store credit

I don't want to drag things too far off topic so I'll try to knock out one succinct reply. Amex cards have Amex Offers which are basically opt-in rebates. Most are useless but some are gems. For example, $50 back when spending $100 at Shipt. Shipt is a personal shopping service that only works at Target where I live. Add in some overhead and careful selection of items and I think it's around 40% off. As to how to get lots of Amex cards... that's a long story but I'll point out that I'm married and we have lots of no fee Amex cards largely for this benefit and that authorized user qualify independently so they multiply the benefit. Sadly, purchasing via shipt, I can't buy gift cards and to maximize I need to target a cart value of no more than $100 so large items are ineffective.

@RoadRunner suggests donating. I thought about that too. It's not how we prefer to give and the deduction isn't likely valuable to us. If I could stack the tax deduction (as I have in years past), I'd be far more game for it. They also suggest foods that can be stored a long time. We tend to eat a lot of produce and perishables so overstocking would take a long time to go through. I like the gardening ideas as I'm just getting into it. In general though, I just don't want to buy "stuff" so it's got to meet a usefulness bar or be a consumable.

The other challenge I find myself stuck on is that some items are overpriced on shipt compared to Target. They have to make their money somehow... and Target it's all that competitive for us on consumables in the first place so a 50% discount becomes 40% becomes 20% becomes... not worth the bother if I'm not a little careful.

My out is considering flipping some electronics. E.g. digital cameras or tablets or what not. I figure I can make a 30% profit margin on it but I really don't enjoy reselling.

I overthink this stuff sometimesoften.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5098 on: May 07, 2018, 07:28:20 AM »
Coffee, you said you just had a kid? Buy diapers. You can exchange, return, or donate later. Also baby food. Yeah, you'll maybe make your own, but life is busy and sometimes convenience is way more valuable than ideal sometimes. If you don't need them later, donate or give to friends - if you return they'll be tossed.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #5099 on: May 07, 2018, 10:41:38 AM »
I still don't know what's wrong with giving someone a wallet. That's like a mini purse and a purse would be a good gift for a woman, right?

One of my favorite gifts I ever got was a wallet! I'd been complaining to my mom about how hard it was to find a wallet I liked (basically looking for a man's style wallet with a pocket for coins, which for some reason was impossible to find). She either remembered exactly what I wanted or was secretly taking notes... She went on vacation in Spain with my dad and saw a leather goods store with a ton of nice wallets, and she made my dad help her search until they found the perfect one. I carry it every day and think of them. :-)

I think a wallet is an excellent gift, and I believe it is traditional for the giver to put money in it (like a one dollar bill) for luck. 

I too like a wallet with a coin purse attached.  They are hard to find in the US, but when I go to Europe (where coins are more common) they are everywhere.  Last time I was in Ireland that is what I treated myself to.  Still carrying it years later, and think about the wonderful trip.

LV