Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1011717 times)

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1900 on: September 11, 2015, 03:07:00 AM »
Most of this year I've been working so close to home that I walk rather than cycle (I used to cycle 6.5 miles). I got on my bike yesterday to go a longer distance and realised that I am really unfit again! It feels really sudden to me so I was shocked that I found the bike ride so hard. Now I want to get fit again but have nowhere to cycle to! (I hate aimless cycling/walking - I need to be going from A to B).
Haha, so me ^^
I sometimes bike for only one piece of anything I want to buy, even if i dont need it today and are going shopping the next day there anyway. I still hate it, but its better then biking without reason.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1901 on: September 11, 2015, 04:20:17 AM »
I have to constantly teach people how to lock the doors on my 2000 Subaru Brighton - *push the button down, hold the handle up, close door*.

Whaha, so funny. I had a friend pick me up a few weeks ago and at a friends house the locks didn't work with the bleep thing (I don't even know what it's called). She didn't know what to do. I was like, can't you just use the key? She didn't even think about that. ;)

I always put down the button at other peoples cars although that's not necessary. And if I'm riding along, I just stand there waiting for them to open the door from the inside like my boyfriend does but the doors on their cars are already open. I ALWAYS forget.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1902 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »
2 miles would be about the max I would be willing to walk to work, though I think I would much prefer to bike that.

But I walked a mile each day at my last job. I didn't have a choice - my assigned parking lot was a mile from the building.  (I drove 12 miles to the parking lot- because of my start time and the layout of our city, I couldn't feasibly bike those.)

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #1903 on: September 11, 2015, 09:27:02 AM »
Most of this year I've been working so close to home that I walk rather than cycle (I used to cycle 6.5 miles). I got on my bike yesterday to go a longer distance and realised that I am really unfit again! It feels really sudden to me so I was shocked that I found the bike ride so hard. Now I want to get fit again but have nowhere to cycle to! (I hate aimless cycling/walking - I need to be going from A to B).

This is me, down to the mileage. =) I can't think of anywhere I want to bicycle to, and there's certainly nowhere I *have* to cycle to that's 6.5 miles away anymore. =( I have to find other ways of remaining fit.
Refinance your student loans with my SoFi referral and get $100: https://www.sofi.com/refer/5/18373

BrandonP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1904 on: September 11, 2015, 03:48:06 PM »
I walked the 2 miles to work yesterday and everyone treated me like I was in the poor house.  One coworker offered me a ride home, another asked if we only has one car (I wish), several comments about how they couldn't walk (even shorter distances), and general pity eyes.  It was frickin' weird.

Wow. 2 miles isn't a huge amount.

What gets me is people who drive 0.5 mile or less for visiting, or groceries etc.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1905 on: September 12, 2015, 04:00:41 AM »
Haha, so me ^^
I sometimes bike for only one piece of anything I want to buy, even if i dont need it today and are going shopping the next day there anyway. I still hate it, but its better then biking without reason.

But the shops are even closer than my work! Such problems... *sigh...*

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1906 on: September 12, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
I accidentally got paid today. :(

I had everything except $2.27 going to retirement accounts (couldn't get the math exactly even), but I got a small raise this year and forgot to adjust things. I got a paycheck direct deposited for $30 today. Urrrrrrgh.

I had an MPP like that this week.

I didn't realize I'd be hitting my ESPP max for the year so my last paycheck was a little larger since the company autocalculates when I've hit my limit, so I didn't contribute at all to the ESPP in the last paycheck. I had to go and readjust my personal accounting spreadsheet for this difference. A nice problem to have.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1907 on: September 12, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
I walked the 2 miles to work yesterday and everyone treated me like I was in the poor house.  One coworker offered me a ride home, another asked if we only has one car (I wish), several comments about how they couldn't walk (even shorter distances), and general pity eyes.  It was frickin' weird.

It sounds like the pity, if any, should have been reversed. I'd feel bad for anyone who couldn't walk short distances (unless they were disabled in any way that would prevent that). I'd be worried about their health.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1908 on: September 12, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »

It sounds like the pity, if any, should have been reversed. I'd feel bad for anyone who couldn't walk short distances (unless they were disabled in any way that would prevent that). I'd be worried about their health.

Agreed

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1909 on: September 12, 2015, 08:05:35 PM »
I put in an expense report this week for charges going back to may.  It was just under $2k.  Boss asked me why it took so long.  I said "I can see it in the budget, but it takes $2k for me to feel it". 
It's not about money, it's about mindset

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1910 on: September 12, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
$5 Sbux peach-green tea-lemonade my husband bought me tonite while we are on a weekend vacation feels totally extravagant and special.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1911 on: September 13, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »
$5 Sbux peach-green tea-lemonade my husband bought me tonite while we are on a weekend vacation feels totally extravagant and special.

That's not a bug.  That's a feature.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1912 on: September 13, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »

What do you mean?

Two9A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the long road to zero net worth
« Reply #1913 on: September 13, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »

What do you mean?
The saying comes from computing: the apocryphal story is that a bug in Office was reported to Microsoft, and they replied "that's not a bug, that's a feature": it may do something wildly unexpected, but this is how you use it for future reference.

So you can take that forward to other areas of experience: the fact that a Starbucks tea is extravagant vacation fare for you isn't a problem, it's a consequence of Mustachian conscious spending.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1914 on: September 13, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

What do you mean?
The saying comes from computing: the apocryphal story is that a bug in Office was reported to Microsoft, and they replied "that's not a bug, that's a feature": it may do something wildly unexpected, but this is how you use it for future reference.

So you can take that forward to other areas of experience: the fact that a Starbucks tea is extravagant vacation fare for you isn't a problem, it's a consequence of Mustachian conscious spending.

Got it, Thx.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1915 on: September 13, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »

What do you mean?

Got it, Thx.

Exactly!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1916 on: September 13, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »

What do you mean?

Got it, Thx.

Exactly!

::Hat Tip:: Very clever!

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1917 on: September 14, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »
When you are $0.06 away from getting free shipping on Amazon, and you have absolutely nothing else you want to buy.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1918 on: September 14, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »
When you are $0.06 away from getting free shipping on Amazon, and you have absolutely nothing else you want to buy.

I wish they let you pay for just $0.06 worth of shipping and make the rest of the shipping free when it hits the threshold...

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1919 on: September 14, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
Just buy a gift card to a store you would normally go to.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1920 on: September 14, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »
I've been working for the same company for nine years in various part and full time roles. About a year ago I realized I could just be putting 100% in my 403b and live on my other income, so I did that. I maxed that out in late July, so I started "getting paid" again...and after a weekend of confusion (thought I got paid on Friday, but I didn't), I had to ask my colleague of 6 years what days we get paid on, because I apparently stopped paying attention so long ago I totally forgot.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #1921 on: September 14, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
I had to ask my colleague of 6 years what days we get paid on, because I apparently stopped paying attention so long ago I totally forgot.
That's been a problem for me for the last decade! We have staff meetings on the monday after payday - and I never know which day that is because I'm not living paycheck to paycheck.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1922 on: September 15, 2015, 05:58:13 AM »
This is one of the things I dislike about Starbucks: "peach-green tea-lemonade"

So what is it? Green tea or lemonade? Peach flavour, or lemon? It's like they pick a few nice things and then assume that sticking them all together will make them better.

I put in an expense report this week for charges going back to may.  It was just under $2k.  Boss asked me why it took so long.  I said "I can see it in the budget, but it takes $2k for me to feel it". 

I approve expenses at work. I see two scenarios, and have noted how I interpret each:

(Bear in mind that I am a mustachian and do not need my salary, even. But I have the standard cognitive bias that whilst I don't need money for good reason, other people's reasons are not as good as my own. So your boss may well be thinking what I'm thinking x 1000):

Scenario 1)
"Please can you approve ASAP, I need the cash to pay for my holiday"

I take to mean: bad with money, hmmm, noted that you can't handle your own life so you probably aren't the best choice for that complex project I have in mind

Scenario 2) No claim for months on end

I take to mean: we are paying you too much, because you can't even be bothered to put a claim in for months. Noted for next salary review that you are not hurting for cash.

TLDR: you can't win with me. But giving the impression you are either bad with money, or have no need for it, can adversely affect you at work. (I have never worried the guy has FY money. He's replaceable. It's good to know for salary negotiations that he is extremely comfortable as he is though). 

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1923 on: September 15, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »

There are a lot of things on amazon that sell for under a dollar. I just donate them to goodwill when I get them and consider it a reasonable shipping fee.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1924 on: September 15, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »

I approve expenses at work. I see two scenarios, and have noted how I interpret each:

(Bear in mind that I am a mustachian and do not need my salary, even. But I have the standard cognitive bias that whilst I don't need money for good reason, other people's reasons are not as good as my own. So your boss may well be thinking what I'm thinking x 1000):

Scenario 1)
"Please can you approve ASAP, I need the cash to pay for my holiday"

I take to mean: bad with money, hmmm, noted that you can't handle your own life so you probably aren't the best choice for that complex project I have in mind

Scenario 2) No claim for months on end

I take to mean: we are paying you too much, because you can't even be bothered to put a claim in for months. Noted for next salary review that you are not hurting for cash.

TLDR: you can't win with me. But giving the impression you are either bad with money, or have no need for it, can adversely affect you at work. (I have never worried the guy has FY money. He's replaceable. It's good to know for salary negotiations that he is extremely comfortable as he is though).

This is very interesting. What do you think of someone who puts in an expense report promptly (well, within 1-2 weeks of the expense), but without the "please approve ASAP" request? That's been my standard, but I definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm bad with money. I'm not. I'm treating the company money like my own: get the documentation done before I forget the details.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1925 on: September 15, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
This is very interesting. What do you think of someone who puts in an expense report promptly (well, within 1-2 weeks of the expense), but without the "please approve ASAP" request? That's been my standard, but I definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm bad with money. I'm not. I'm treating the company money like my own: get the documentation done before I forget the details.
I think this is the best way to go, personally. I would never wait on filing a bunch of expenses after working at a company that went under - one of my co-workers hadn't filed for expenses in months and lost thousands of dollars in addition to her job. Ouch.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1926 on: September 15, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »

There are a lot of things on amazon that sell for under a dollar. I just donate them to goodwill when I get them and consider it a reasonable shipping fee.

Specifically, go to http://www.filleritem.com/ and plug in the amount you need.  I just bought an old Magic the gathering card for like $.05 to get free shipping.  Often the item is a bolt or screw that will eventually have use

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1927 on: September 15, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
Often the item is a bolt or screw that will eventually have use
For years the best selling item at a certain electronics catalog company was a 1c surface mount resistor.
Their free shipping was $x.00 and of course every item was $x.99

Eventually someone worked out how much it was costing them to pick and pack a single pinhead sized resistor and made the free shipping a little more lenient.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1928 on: September 15, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
I can't save hundreds a month by paying off my car, not buying coffee at starbucks, paying off student loans, moving to a cheaper apartment in my hcol area, cancelling tv service, or even going prepaid on the phone! I've already done those things or didn't have to. Yet I know I can do better, even if it's hard to see. We don't save >50% of take-home right now, and that's my MPP! I see all of you badasses doing like 75% 'n all that, and I have savings rate envy! The last year we only saved 36% of take-home.

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
  • We are all strong, handsome and above average
« Reply #1929 on: September 15, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
I can't save hundreds a month by paying off my car, not buying coffee at starbucks, paying off student loans, moving to a cheaper apartment in my hcol area, cancelling tv service, or even going prepaid on the phone! I've already done those things or didn't have to. Yet I know I can do better, even if it's hard to see. We don't save >50% of take-home right now, and that's my MPP! I see all of you badasses doing like 75% 'n all that, and I have savings rate envy! The last year we only saved 36% of take-home.

I barely improved my SR since I know MMM because we were already frugal and invest a lot. Always been arround 40% for years. At least, we quit the lifestyle inflation and work a bit less so tax rate keep reasonable.
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1930 on: September 15, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »

Specifically, go to http://www.filleritem.com/ and plug in the amount you need.  I just bought an old Magic the gathering card for like $.05 to get free shipping.  Often the item is a bolt or screw that will eventually have use

Great tip, thanks!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1931 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
When my co-workers or students are talking about a great TV show they love, or a movie they've just seen at the theatre, and I'm like "Hey, I'm reading this amazing library book called (insert self-help, fiction from 5 years ago or DIY skill-building book title here). You ever read it?"

It's a conversation killer. They don't read. I don't watch much TV. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1932 on: September 15, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
When my co-workers or students are talking about a great TV show they love, or a movie they've just seen at the theatre, and I'm like "Hey, I'm reading this amazing library book called (insert self-help, fiction from 5 years ago or DIY skill-building book title here). You ever read it?"

It's a conversation killer. They don't read. I don't watch much TV.

I know what u mean . constant TV references or detailed account of series and why its amazing & I should see it, etc .
I always hav a stack of library books however :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1933 on: September 16, 2015, 04:50:34 AM »

You are my favourite type of employee, organised, reliable, no hassle. I meant to say my ideal is probably submitting your report the week or two following month end, because that's when supplier invoiced are coming in as well. But as long as you don't beg for it early, or leave it months so I have a big stack if receipts to analyse, I'm happy. (To clarify: I have to analyse every receipt for VAT. But lots at once makes it harder because I'm balancing it to one total, so if there's an anomaly it's more difficult to find.) No need to tell me why you need the money, it's your money!

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1934 on: September 16, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
and I have savings rate envy!
For once an envy I like! lol

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1935 on: September 16, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
So. Many. Dishes.

Cooking from scratch, day in and day out, makes for many pots and pans to be washed!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1936 on: September 16, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
So. Many. Dishes.

Cooking from scratch, day in and day out, makes for many pots and pans to be washed!

+1. And no dishwasher!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1937 on: September 16, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »
So. Many. Dishes.

I'm glad dishes are my boyfriend's domain! I've asked him many times how he feels about "the pile" that frequently appears, but apparently he doesn't mind - his answer is usually along the lines of "It means I get to eat delicious food all the time". Now, if we were eating gross food and still making the same amount of dishes, I imagine he'd feel differently....
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #1938 on: September 16, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
We're living in Germany for a year, and have had to see medical providers for routine care. Their insurance is pretty good here (for the Germans), but we have to pay cash and submit receipts to our insurance company and then submit the remaining amount to our FSA.

The medical staff were very concerned that it would be too expensive - on the phone, before the appointment, and after. They told us we could get a bill and submit it first (we are registered here so they could track us down), pay a little now, etc. They were very surprised when I paid the bill in full.

BTW is was about 180$ for the appointment. I imagine the same thing will happen at the pharmacy and back at the office when she gets her vaccinations.

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #1939 on: September 16, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt." 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1940 on: September 16, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt."

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1941 on: September 16, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »
looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.
And that is the reason for the 2nd amendment

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #1942 on: September 16, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

That could be.  I'm just glad it doesn't read "Withdraw $100 from checking" anymore.  ;)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1943 on: September 17, 2015, 05:32:24 AM »
That is what mine would be   ;-)   Because the only reasons I actually go to my bank's ATM are to deposit a random cheque or get a bit of cash ($100 in actual cash lasts a long time).  Online banking for the win.

That could be.  I'm just glad it doesn't read "Withdraw $100 from checking" anymore.  ;)
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1944 on: September 17, 2015, 05:37:31 AM »
My supermarket only has 12 eggs of the cheap brand while they do have boxes of 6 of the more expensive. So now I'm buying 12 eggs instead of 6 because it's cheaper, knowing I probably will have to throw roughly 6 of them away and I hate spilling food... :(
(I don't like hard/softboiled eggs, omelet, ... I only use them for some desserts and very rarely for pancakes).

Although I might have a go at making a quiche one of these days I guess...

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1945 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:30 AM »
My supermarket only has 12 eggs of the cheap brand while they do have boxes of 6 of the more expensive. So now I'm buying 12 eggs instead of 6 because it's cheaper, knowing I probably will have to throw roughly 6 of them away and I hate spilling food... :(
(I don't like hard/softboiled eggs, omelet, ... I only use them for some desserts and very rarely for pancakes).

Although I might have a go at making a quiche one of these days I guess...

Consider substituting the eggs for baking and pancakes with flax eggs: http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-a-flax-egg/

Healthier (no cholesterol, only healthy fats, good for omega-3, protein and fiber) & cheaper (doesn't go bad, just keep in your cupboard and use when needed).

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1946 on: September 17, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »

Or just increase your pancake consumption. That would be my preference.

Lol exactly my thought!
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1947 on: September 17, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »
I get free bus rides with my student I.D.  Now trying to thing of places I want to go.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (NOT for fun)
« Reply #1948 on: September 17, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
Ever since I started doing my own car maintenance I find myself looking for more things to do and considering unnecessary early maintenance.  For example, I drive so little ill probably never get to the 110k spark plug interval so I might end up changing them early just so they don't sit there too many years (I hear they can seize... Similar mileage vs time issues with other items like tires, timing belt, fluids, etc)

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1949 on: September 17, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
So. Many. Dishes.

Oh. Yes. This.

We don't have a dishwasher at the moment and that, far more than cooking, contributes to us crumbling and not cooking. We're slowly slowly getting better at keeping on top of it but it's such a CHORE.