Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5144768 times)

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #9800 on: May 18, 2023, 11:07:39 AM »
It's not at all hard to spend $6 at Starbucks. Or more-- I think they charge something like 70 cents per extra pump of their flavored syrups (I can't be sure; I can't stand sweet coffee or flavored coffee).

You can get an Americano or brewed coffee for less and add milk and sugar for free, but it's still going to be $3-4.

Source: Have been to a Starbucks. (I'll turn in my Mustachian card on my way out)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9801 on: May 19, 2023, 12:06:13 AM »
One thing I will never understand is waiting in a long drive through line for coffee for 15-20 minutes.  The line for the Dunkin near me spills out into the street some mornings.

I can't say from personal experience, but in every video I have seen where people actually got into those drive through stores that was a free parkign spot in the front and (nearly) nobody inside, so they actually got their burgers or whatever faster than in the drive in. All while not having to be careful to move whenever one car is finished. 

Drive thoughs, probably the most mysterious thing in the US for me. After the gun and religious nuts, that is.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #9802 on: May 19, 2023, 08:49:38 AM »
Drive thoughs, probably the most mysterious thing in the US for me.

Ha!  I agree.  Drive through banks, drive through pharmacies, drive through vaccinations, WTF?  It's the strangest thing.

erp

• Stubble
« Reply #9803 on: May 19, 2023, 08:58:06 AM »
Back to coffee for a minute. I was on a long drive Monday and stopped for a coffee. Just a  16 oz Americano. The lady told me $5.70. I couldn’t do it. I apologized and said I just can’t spend that much on coffee. She looked a bit shocked and maybe a little hurt. The last time I got an Americano was less than a year ago and it was under $3. I guess I’ll start taking my jet boil and areo press on road trips.

What? $6? That's alarming. It does make me feel better about my splurge on the aeropress though - I think it was about $60, but I use it almost every day and it's just so good.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9804 on: May 19, 2023, 09:51:59 AM »
Back to coffee for a minute. I was on a long drive Monday and stopped for a coffee. Just a  16 oz Americano. The lady told me $5.70. I couldn’t do it. I apologized and said I just can’t spend that much on coffee. She looked a bit shocked and maybe a little hurt. The last time I got an Americano was less than a year ago and it was under $3. I guess I’ll start taking my jet boil and areo press on road trips.

What? $6? That's alarming. It does make me feel better about my splurge on the aeropress though - I think it was about $60, but I use it almost every day and it's just so good.

I used a friend's Aeropress years ago and it does make such a great cup of coffee. I keep hoping I'll find one at a yard sale eventually.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #9805 on: May 19, 2023, 11:20:30 PM »

I used a friend's Aeropress years ago and it does make such a great cup of coffee. I keep hoping I'll find one at a yard sale eventually.

I was given mine by a friend as a thank you gift. At the time I really didn't think i needed another way to make coffee, but it's my preferred tool now... Sometimes, if I'm feeling fancy, I still use the espresso machine another friend gave me to foam some cream.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #9806 on: May 20, 2023, 01:00:22 AM »
I've got one of those ceramic filter holders that you put over your cup/mug. Bought it to replace our nespresso machine and haven't wanted to go back since. It may not be quite as fast but it uses regular coffee and it tastes great. Also saves a ton of room vs the machine 😗

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9807 on: May 26, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »
I have a MPP:  we have a sprinkler system that has a burst pipe.  I dug it up and diagnosed it last night, and the repair requires a whole four inches of pipe and a few crimp bands.  The hardware store only sells the pipe in rolls of one hundred feet.
Sounds like copper tubing? Chances are you can get it at a pet-store too because it may be used in aquarium systems.
It's black poly pipe, and in 1" diameter, so aquarium tubing won't cut it

Hose and hose clamps? Might not be the official way to fix it but I know of at least one place it held for years and years…

Cross shop between Lowe’s and Home Depot. I had that same problem a few years back. One store only had 100’ sections and the other had 25’ sections IIRC. I forget which one I bought it from. It’s still overkill, but less so.

You could also probably make it work with 3-4 connectors and a few small cut sections. Each connector extends the line by maybe 1”. Although it introduces more potential for future leaks.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9808 on: May 26, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
I have a MPP:  we have a sprinkler system that has a burst pipe.  I dug it up and diagnosed it last night, and the repair requires a whole four inches of pipe and a few crimp bands.  The hardware store only sells the pipe in rolls of one hundred feet.
Sounds like copper tubing? Chances are you can get it at a pet-store too because it may be used in aquarium systems.

Hose and hose clamps? Might not be the official way to fix it but I know of at least one place it held for years and years…

Cross shop between Lowe’s and Home Depot. I had that same problem a few years back. One store only had 100’ sections and the other had 25’ sections IIRC. I forget which one I bought it from. It’s still overkill, but less so.

You could also probably make it work with 3-4 connectors and a few small cut sections. Each connector extends the line by maybe 1”. Although it introduces more potential for future leaks.
It's a section of hose between two barbed fittings, so there's only about 1/2" between the fittings.

As it turns out, Menard's actually *does* sell 5' lengths.  But a neighbor had some spare that he gave to me, so we're all good.  I already had a crimp tool on hand, so the repair cost me about $3.50--the cost of the crimp clamp things.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9809 on: May 27, 2023, 09:23:53 AM »

Ha!  I agree.  Drive through banks, drive through pharmacies, drive through vaccinations, WTF?  It's the strangest thing.

My wife asked me to pick up a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin' Donuts when I was out early one morning. I purposely parked and went in to avoid the drive through, and the solitary worker behind the counter proceeded to ignore me for five minutes while she took drive through orders. Not her fault, I know, but she finally took my order when I started slowly waving a $20 bill in front of her. So much for being faster to go inside.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9810 on: May 27, 2023, 09:52:20 AM »

It's a section of hose between two barbed fittings, so there's only about 1/2" between the fittings.

As it turns out, Menard's actually *does* sell 5' lengths.  But a neighbor had some spare that he gave to me, so we're all good.  I already had a crimp tool on hand, so the repair cost me about $3.50--the cost of the crimp clamp things.

You guys are reminding me of a scene from A Man Called Otto....  :o

My MPP:

My former employer sent out a notice that certain people are going to be offered a pension buyout. There's a webpage, a formal notice etc with all this info on how the planning committee came up with the option and the timeline. In true govt fashion, the notice was mailed in May and the specifics of my options won't be mailed until Sept, with elections happening starting in Oct. Don't they know how obnoxious that is??? I've been stewing every day since about what it might be. Give me the 3-4 months notice to evaluate the offer, not tell me there will be an offer and the evaluation period will be short!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9811 on: May 29, 2023, 07:01:13 PM »

My wife asked me to pick up a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin' Donuts when I was out early one morning. I purposely parked and went in to avoid the drive through, and the solitary worker behind the counter proceeded to ignore me for five minutes while she took drive through orders. Not her fault, I know, but she finally took my order when I started slowly waving a $20 bill in front of her. So much for being faster to go inside.

A lot of fast food places track service time for drive thru starting when the car pulls up, but not so much in the dining room.  Leads to this behavior as well as requests for you to park and they bring the food out to you (marks your order as complete and let’s them keep the line moving)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #9812 on: May 29, 2023, 08:53:19 PM »
My MPP for the day:

We are packing for a two-month long international trip. Part of the purpose of the trip is to also return a few large suitcases we've borrowed from family members over the years. Our MPP is that we've paired down our wardrobes so much that we don't have enough to fill the suitcase, and with the way suitcases get stacked and thrown around, I'd like the suitcase to be relatively full to prevent it from being damaged. I've been wandering around our apartment these past few days trying to think of bulky but light things to put in the suitcase. Maybe I'll throw another jacket or two in there. I mean, it gets cold in Canada, even in the summer, doesn't it?

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #9813 on: May 29, 2023, 09:20:03 PM »

A lot of fast food places track service time for drive thru starting when the car pulls up, but not so much in the dining room.  Leads to this behavior as well as requests for you to park and they bring the food out to you (marks your order as complete and let’s them keep the line moving)

Except it often does the very opposite, because then they have to have someone run the orders out to customers' cars. That's one fewer person to help actually prepare orders.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9814 on: May 29, 2023, 11:26:52 PM »

Except it often does the very opposite, because then they have to have someone run the orders out to customers' cars. That's one fewer person to help actually prepare orders.

Are you telling me fast food workers didn’t run a full simulation before choosing their strategy?

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #9815 on: May 30, 2023, 12:23:42 AM »

Are you telling me fast food workers didn’t run a full simulation before choosing their strategy?
Who do you know that's better at logistics than 16 year old fry cooks?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9816 on: May 30, 2023, 08:30:42 AM »

I have to admit that I almost only go to fast food restaurants that have decent apps and offer discounts through said apps.  One of the advantages of the McDonald's app is that if the drivethrough line is long, the curbside pickup option puts your order in the queue as soon as you check in.  So, I can drive around the line of cars, park, and have my order at my car before I would have ever reached the speaker at the drivethrough.  Like your experience, I've found the counter service to be lacking and I don't like people anyway so it works for me. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9817 on: May 30, 2023, 08:46:32 AM »
My MPP for the day:

We are packing for a two-month long international trip. Part of the purpose of the trip is to also return a few large suitcases we've borrowed from family members over the years. Our MPP is that we've paired down our wardrobes so much that we don't have enough to fill the suitcase, and with the way suitcases get stacked and thrown around, I'd like the suitcase to be relatively full to prevent it from being damaged. I've been wandering around our apartment these past few days trying to think of bulky but light things to put in the suitcase. Maybe I'll throw another jacket or two in there. I mean, it gets cold in Canada, even in the summer, doesn't it?

Umm, evenings can be cool. Also depends on where you are going.  Define cold.    ;-)

Do you have a smaller suitcase that could fit into a larger one?  Your things could go in the smaller one for the whole trip and the larger one (you said large borrowed suitcases) could be returned to owner.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9818 on: May 30, 2023, 08:51:55 AM »
My MPP for the day:

Umm, evenings can be cool. Also depends on where you are going.  Define cold.    ;-)

Do you have a smaller suitcase that could fit into a larger one?  Your things could go in the smaller one for the whole trip and the larger one (you said large borrowed suitcases) could be returned to owner.

Are there any staple foods or supplies that are cheaper where you live now, that your relatives might like to receive as a gift?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #9819 on: May 30, 2023, 03:06:44 PM »
My MPP for the day:

We are going to northern Ontario (Thunder Bay). I’m guessing it can get cold in the evenings.

That’s exactly what I did! And the plan is to only bring back the smaller one. We still have four large suitcases to be returned over the next few trips. Even with the smaller suitcase taking up room in the large suitcase, I still have about 1/4 of suitcase space to be filled.

Are there any staple foods or supplies that are cheaper where you live now, that your relatives might like to receive as a gift?

None that I can think of off the top of my head. They can get Chinese things that they want at the Asian grocery store, and they don’t trust the quality control here. The stuff that gets imported to Canada have to go through Canada’s quality control inspections and are more trustworthy. According to them. I can ask them though.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9820 on: May 30, 2023, 08:04:47 PM »
For Thunder Bay I would definitely have something warmer for evenings and early morning.  And shoes and socks, not just sandals  And long pants and long-sleeved tops.  A clear night can have a big temperature drop.  We were a high of 27oC today, and the forecast is for a low of 15oC.

Something to bring - silk?  My sister went on an organized tour in China before Covid, and they toured silk factories and brought back the most amazing silks. 

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #9821 on: June 03, 2023, 06:36:31 PM »
MPP: By retiring mid-year I'm missing out on the 401k match for the rest of the year.  AND because I had set my contribution to hit the cap in my last paycheck, and then got a bonus, I hit the contribution limit before my last paycheck so I have no company match in either of my last 2 paychecks :-(

Yes, I could have turned down the contributions after the bonus to run it out 'til that last paycheck, so this is all self-inflicted pain.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #9822 on: June 03, 2023, 10:01:16 PM »
MPP: By retiring mid-year I'm missing out on the 401k match for the rest of the year.  AND because I had set my contribution to hit the cap in my last paycheck, and then got a bonus, I hit the contribution limit before my last paycheck so I have no company match in either of my last 2 paychecks :-(

Yes, I could have turned down the contributions after the bonus to run it out 'til that last paycheck, so this is all self-inflicted pain.

And as a bonus mpp, by retiring mid year you’re probably lowering the top marginal rate those contributions are made against! It’s hard to be mustachian :)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #9823 on: June 03, 2023, 11:11:38 PM »

And as a bonus mpp, by retiring mid year you’re probably lowering the top marginal rate those contributions are made against! It’s hard to be mustachian :)

In my last work year, I retired in February.  As a result, my income that year was low.  So I realized that rather than do 401(k) contributions, it was better for me to max out my Roth.  I think I only did enough to get the company match.  I think I also did a Roth conversion that year.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #9824 on: June 06, 2023, 08:35:49 AM »
My MPP for the day:

This is probably too late to help you if you are already on your trip now, but when we return luggage internationally it gets filled with local chip bags and cereal brands because they are large and light and very appreciated by the recipients. They are exactly the type of thing that would be stupid expensive to mail due to their size. Happy travels!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9825 on: June 06, 2023, 11:00:09 AM »

Not a problem!  It could probably be rolled into a Rollover IRA and then any amount of it converted to Roth IRA. (Any amount that makes sense, tax-planning-wise.)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #9826 on: June 06, 2023, 01:20:58 PM »
My MPP for the day:

This is probably too late to help you if you are already on your trip now, but when we return luggage internationally it gets filled with local chip bags and cereal brands because they are large and light and very appreciated by the recipients. They are exactly the type of thing that would be stupid expensive to mail due to their size. Happy travels!

I ended up doing something similar and asked my family what they wanted from China. I now have five duvets squished in one suitcase.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9827 on: June 21, 2023, 12:27:49 PM »
My MPP: The last time I went food shopping, I bought some products that were participating in a promotion, and I got a $1 coupon with my receipt. But it expires in seven days, and I don't need to go food shopping again that soon.

I hate to let it expire, but I'm not making an extra trip to the store just to save a dollar!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9828 on: June 22, 2023, 11:24:08 AM »
I ended up doing something similar and asked my family what they wanted from China. I now have five duvets squished in one suitcase.
What's the connection / issue with Canada-China?

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #9829 on: June 27, 2023, 06:58:19 AM »

Sounds cheap! :-) Back in 1995 I was at LAX airport and went to get a cup of coffee, a plain ole cup of coffee was $5, and I had to wait in line for it. I didn't.
  I recently went to a Sonic drive thru and ask for a large M&M Blast, the display came up with as I recall $6.xx! I said. "are you kidding?  It is $6.xx?" She said, "yes", I said, "forget it." As I was leaving, she said, "yes, they are expensive."

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9830 on: June 27, 2023, 11:03:21 AM »

McDonald's.
 Sounds cheap! :-) Back in 1995 I was at LAX airport and went to get a cup of coffee, a plain ole cup of coffee was $5, and I had to wait in line for it. I didn't.
  I recently went to a Sonic drive thru and ask for a large M&M Blast, the display came up with as I recall $6.xx! I said. "are you kidding?  It is $6.xx?" She said, "yes", I said, "forget it." As I was leaving, she said, "yes, they are expensive."

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9831 on: June 27, 2023, 11:11:39 AM »
...y'all know they list the prices on the menu so you can see that before you order them, right?   :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9832 on: June 27, 2023, 11:22:20 AM »
...y'all know they list the prices on the menu so you can see that before you order them, right?   :)

Not always… especially drive thrus sometimes don’t have every size or option listed

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9833 on: June 27, 2023, 11:39:50 AM »

Not always… especially drive thrus sometimes don’t have every size or option listed

Understand the Drive-Thru and We Can Solve All Problems  Dragoncar has been timed out for 15 seconds...  this is your only warning

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9834 on: June 27, 2023, 02:05:50 PM »

Understand the Drive-Thru and We Can Solve All Problems  Dragoncar has been timed out for 15 seconds...  this is your only warning

Hmm is this because you assume I’m lazy because I have knowledge of drive thrus?  I don’t really eat fast food much but there was actually this global pandemic thing where stores closed dining rooms and the only option was drive thru.  Some people might have used such facilities before becoming mustachian as well. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9835 on: June 27, 2023, 03:33:41 PM »

Hmm is this because you assume I’m lazy because I have knowledge of drive thrus?  I don’t really eat fast food much but there was actually this global pandemic thing where stores closed dining rooms and the only option was drive thru.  Some people might have used such facilities before becoming mustachian as well.

or worked their way thru high school and college in one of them...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9836 on: June 27, 2023, 11:03:11 PM »
Here’s a good trick to get free food at the drive thru:

https://youtu.be/ATjL9CmwkCo

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #9837 on: June 28, 2023, 12:19:21 AM »

Huh. I must have slept through the portion of the pandemic where everyone was made to hit up the local Mickey D's drive thru rather than be permitted to cook in their own kitchen and eat in their own dining room. Thank goodness I missed that! A world where drive thrus are the only option for acquiring sustenance sounds like one hell of a dystopia.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #9838 on: June 28, 2023, 12:21:26 AM »

Thanks for sharing this post! I had forgotten all about that one, and reading it has reminded me that I need to spend less time in my car and more time outside.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9839 on: June 28, 2023, 12:32:25 AM »

Huh. I must have slept through the portion of the pandemic where everyone was made to hit up the local Mickey D's drive thru rather than be permitted to cook in their own kitchen and eat in their own dining room. Thank goodness I missed that! A world where drive thrus are the only option for acquiring sustenance sounds like one hell of a dystopia.

Yup maybe you didn’t read the fine print but it was actually printed on the stimulus checks “for hamberders”. 

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #9840 on: June 28, 2023, 12:38:01 AM »

Yup maybe you didn’t read the fine print but it was actually printed on the stimulus checks “for hamberders”.
And like a fool I just stuffed them into my retirement fund. D'oh!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9841 on: June 28, 2023, 11:05:11 AM »

Don't forget In & Out. Their menu board is very simple, but the options are endless:
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-in-n-out-survival-guide-we-ate-every-single-item-on-the-secret-menu

As a former road warrior, I have consumed countless drive-thru meals. I retired in 2012 and can count on one hand the number of drive-thru meals I've consumed since then. Even on road trips, we pack a cooler.

Everyone knows @dragoncar is the opposite of lazy: he just has better things to do, as indicated by his avatar. Or maybe it's an actual photograph.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9842 on: June 28, 2023, 01:06:42 PM »

Everyone knows @dragoncar is the opposite of lazy: he just has better things to do, as indicated by his avatar. Or maybe it's an actual photograph.

Haha well I’m a little lazy at times, but never enough to prefer a drive thru.  From a time perspective I prefer to go in rather than wait in an endless drive thru lane (especially at in n out the drive thru is definitely a longer wait), although workers usually prioritize drive thru orders so even if you walk into an empty dining room you wait a while for them to get off the intercom

We are not all privileged enough to always cook our own meals, even though I do like 99% of them in our home
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 01:08:43 PM by dragoncar »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9843 on: June 28, 2023, 02:11:54 PM »

Haha well I’m a little lazy at times, but never enough to prefer a drive thru.  From a time perspective I prefer to go in rather than wait in an endless drive thru lane (especially at in n out the drive thru is definitely a longer wait), although workers usually prioritize drive thru orders so even if you walk into an empty dining room you wait a while for them to get off the intercom

We are not all privileged enough to always cook our own meals, even though I do like 99% of them in our home
Funny, the few times we do go to In & Out, we always order inside. There's a lot better buzz inside than in the drive-thru, plus they have clean bathrooms.

Your line about privilege amuses me. I've gotten so used to cooking at home that I don't consider eating out a privilege. I find it kind of an inconvenience, which endlessly amuses my past restaurant-loving self. Recently, someone was talking about restaurants they'd enjoyed in SF. He said, "There was one called "Michael" something"... I instantly replied, "Michael Mina" and remembered exactly what I ate there and who I was with. Weird. Don't ask me what I ate for breakfast yesterday.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #9844 on: June 28, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »

Funny, the few times we do go to In & Out, we always order inside. There's a lot better buzz inside than in the drive-thru, plus they have clean bathrooms.

Your line about privilege amuses me. I've gotten so used to cooking at home that I don't consider eating out a privilege. I find it kind of an inconvenience, which endlessly amuses my past restaurant-loving self. Recently, someone was talking about restaurants they'd enjoyed in SF. He said, "There was one called "Michael" something"... I instantly replied, "Michael Mina" and remembered exactly what I ate there and who I was with. Weird. Don't ask me what I ate for breakfast yesterday.

In & Out - my favorite burger place! I ate there 2-3 times per year for a time. I too like the buzz. Someone commented that the one I went to had the most actually diverse clientele of any place they'd seen in our city.

Not sure Michael Mina can say the same. :)

PS. You both see cooking at home as the privilege, sounds like. Though what is a dragon's home, anyway?

(hides car to avoid dragon's attention)

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #9845 on: June 28, 2023, 04:24:55 PM »
as indicated by his avatar. Or maybe it's an actual photograph.

I've always wondered what the kids will look like!

You'll never look at the avatar the same.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9846 on: June 28, 2023, 04:26:32 PM »

Was there another way to look at that avatar?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #9847 on: June 28, 2023, 11:56:27 PM »

Was there another way to look at that avatar?

I’ve always assumed a dragon is polishing the car’s finish in that photos… I might not ever look at it the same way now…

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #9848 on: June 29, 2023, 12:00:34 AM »

Yeah they used to do that… a number of places around here stopped posting prices all together when inflation took off, including that particular coffee shop. Even some of the bigger chains seem to have gone advertising the calories in items in larger font than the price. Which seems like it would hurt sales, but I’m a pretty bad sample for determining effective advertising.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9849 on: June 29, 2023, 02:00:24 AM »
I can't say from personal experience, but in every video I have seen where people actually got into those drive through stores that was a free parkign spot in the front and (nearly) nobody inside, so they actually got their burgers or whatever faster than in the drive in. All while not having to be careful to move whenever one car is finished. 

Drive thoughs, probably the most mysterious thing in the US for me. After the gun and religious nuts, that is.

A few years back on a car vacation in the USA I happened to wake up at a motel early in the morning in a small town in eastern Kansas and I drove to the next town owner where I saw a coffee shop that looked like it could server me breakfast.  After checking a map it must have been a place called Mr G's in Atchison, Kansas.  There was a like of cars to the drive through window but since the parking lot was empty, I parked and went in.  It was indeed empty.

It took a little longer time though, since the teen girl who started taking my order seemed to become very nervous when she heard my foreign accent and an older man (the owner?) had to take over to take my order. 

Decent coffee and good breakfast though.  :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!