Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1163252 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4100 on: August 09, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
You forget when bin day is because they're so rarely full enough to need putting out.

Yep.  Mine was today and I only "remembered" when the trucks woke me up this morning.

I know they have a job to do but it really is a pet peeve of mine when the trash truck is tearing through the neighborhood at 6 in the morning. I'm an early morning person but I like to have a nice quite cup of coffee before everybody else wakes up and starts making noise. They do my place on Monday and the next block on Tuesday. Really gets the day going good

Used to live in the city and those fuckers would come at 3AM.  They were always backing up, and had the beepers on.  Pissed me off, but I guess any other time and they would be stuck in traffic all day.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4101 on: August 09, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
You forget when bin day is because they're so rarely full enough to need putting out.

Yep.  Mine was today and I only "remembered" when the trucks woke me up this morning.

I know they have a job to do but it really is a pet peeve of mine when the trash truck is tearing through the neighborhood at 6 in the morning. I'm an early morning person but I like to have a nice quite cup of coffee before everybody else wakes up and starts making noise. They do my place on Monday and the next block on Tuesday. Really gets the day going good

Used to live in the city and those fuckers would come at 3AM.  They were always backing up, and had the beepers on.  Pissed me off, but I guess any other time and they would be stuck in traffic all day.

I never know when ours come as the public road is way too far away to hear anything, I suppose that's an MPP.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4102 on: August 09, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »

I never know when ours come as the public road is way too far away to hear anything, I suppose that's an MPP.

You get trash pickup vs. taking your load to the dump?  CITYSLICKER

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4103 on: August 10, 2017, 12:16:09 AM »

You get trash pickup vs. taking your load to the dump?  CITYSLICKER

There is no dump (literally, none in the county that private people can legally take trash to for any price). I pay a private service instead of dumping into the backroads watersheds like most people because I'm a dirty hippie weirdo in addition to being a city slicker.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4104 on: August 10, 2017, 01:11:27 AM »

Our garbage company sends me a text message the evening before. And last time, when it was announced that they would collect plastic, they didn't. I had to complain. Maybe a summer temp couldn't find our street?
By the way, we share bins together with a couple of neighbours. This gives us a lower price for garbage. They are standing in front of our parking place, and we don't need to move them anywhere on bin day.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:52:56 AM by Linda_Norway »

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4105 on: August 10, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
I have one..  Since I'm pushing my FIRE date out for one more paycheck, I'm kicking myself about missing out on maximizing the company match for my 401K.  I'm already too close to the max contribution for the year that when I get that last paycheck there won't be enough left for me to contribute to get the maximum company match available to me.  I think I'm missing out on something like a $122 match.  Granted, if I wasn't planning to work the extra 2 weeks, I wouldn't be able to get a match of $64, either. 

TLDR: Total match for the last paycheck would've been ~ $186. I'm only going to get $64 due to not having any more contributions (to get matched).

Regardless, I need to let it go.
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
FIRE'd on 9/8/2017

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4106 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
I got an unclaimed funds notice from Lending Club, because apparently 32 cents mysteriously showed up in my account at some point in the last 4 years since I sold everything and cashed out. But I moved out of state and changed my bank account etc. so I can't transfer it out without getting customer support involved.

MPP: trying to figure out how many minutes/hours is acceptable to spend trying to cash out 32 cents.

Update: I got my 32 cent check in the mail today, and I only had to fill out a form and send three e-mails. I feel a little inefficient about the whole thing - the cost of the envelope, cutting the check, the resources spent to deliver it, etc. seems pretty ludicrous. But hey! 32 cents. That should advance me a couple of minutes closer to FIRE :-P
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4107 on: August 11, 2017, 01:18:25 AM »
I got an unclaimed funds notice from Lending Club, because apparently 32 cents mysteriously showed up in my account at some point in the last 4 years since I sold everything and cashed out. But I moved out of state and changed my bank account etc. so I can't transfer it out without getting customer support involved.

MPP: trying to figure out how many minutes/hours is acceptable to spend trying to cash out 32 cents.

Update: I got my 32 cent check in the mail today, and I only had to fill out a form and send three e-mails. I feel a little inefficient about the whole thing - the cost of the envelope, cutting the check, the resources spent to deliver it, etc. seems pretty ludicrous. But hey! 32 cents. That should advance me a couple of minutes closer to FIRE :-P

ANd it was not possible to send this the easier way? Bank transfer, Paypal, Crypto, whatever?

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #4108 on: August 11, 2017, 04:00:42 AM »
I had to reduce my salary sacrifice into my retirement account (super) as my last payment for the last financial year didn't go into my account until 3rd of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4109 on: August 11, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »

ANd it was not possible to send this the easier way? Bank transfer, Paypal, Crypto, whatever?

Normally they do bank transfers, but the bank account linked with my Lending Club account was closed years ago. And they don't let you add a new bank account without having the account number for the old one, which I don't have any more.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4110 on: August 13, 2017, 10:43:17 PM »
My 2% cash back rewards credit card was hacked/stolen/whatever, and I won't get the new one until Tuesday night. So for the next two days, if I buy anything that isn't in the bonus categories of my other three credit cards, I'll only get 1% cash back. *sigh*
Referrals for...

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #4111 on: August 13, 2017, 11:38:54 PM »
Reading about Americans and cashback credit cards all the time and knowing they don't exist in my country ...

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4112 on: August 14, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »
I invested what I had allowed myself to allocate until SO's tax issues gets resolved. Now I have to wait. :(

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #4113 on: August 14, 2017, 06:29:05 AM »
I finally did the research into opening an HSA account and have the money ready to go, and my home computer decided it needs a new operating system install.  My IT SO says I shouldn't use it for anything sensitive/money related until he can reinstall and fix the security problems, and I don't want to do it on my work computer for the same reason, so now I have to wait who knows how long until we can get a new boot drive.  While that money just sits in a savings account, doing nothing :(

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4114 on: August 14, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »
I finally did the research into opening an HSA account and have the money ready to go, and my home computer decided it needs a new operating system install.  My IT SO says I shouldn't use it for anything sensitive/money related until he can reinstall and fix the security problems, and I don't want to do it on my work computer for the same reason, so now I have to wait who knows how long until we can get a new boot drive.  While that money just sits in a savings account, doing nothing :(

Install Slax (or similar) onto a USB/CD and boot to that. Instant (temporary) secure operating system.

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #4115 on: August 14, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »

Install Slax (or similar) onto a USB/CD and boot to that. Instant (temporary) secure operating system.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what my SO thinks.  Honestly, I'm a technical noob, I have no idea how to select a different boot drive, so I'd need him to set it up anyway.  I'll definitely mention it to him as a potentially quicker option, though, so thanks!

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4116 on: August 14, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what my SO thinks.  Honestly, I'm a technical noob, I have no idea how to select a different boot drive, so I'd need him to set it up anyway.  I'll definitely mention it to him as a potentially quicker option, though, so thanks!

Also, fixing the primary computer used for financial stuff should be a priority. If your SO doesn't want you to use it until he fixes it, then he needs to fix it ASAP.

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #4117 on: August 14, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

Also, fixing the primary computer used for financial stuff should be a priority. If your SO doesn't want you to use it until he fixes it, then he needs to fix it ASAP.

I mean, it's not just him not wanting me to use it.  I don't want to be putting my SSN and other details in on an unsecured device either.  But I definitely agree that sooner is better :)  I checked in with him, and he said he's going to make a temporary bootable drive with Puppy Linux, which he thinks will be easier for me to use than Slax.  It's all nonsense words to me, though, I just want my data to be safe so I'll defer to the experts.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4118 on: August 14, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »

I mean, it's not just him not wanting me to use it.  I don't want to be putting my SSN and other details in on an unsecured device either.  But I definitely agree that sooner is better :)  I checked in with him, and he said he's going to make a temporary bootable drive with Puppy Linux, which he thinks will be easier for me to use than Slax.  It's all nonsense words to me, though, I just want my data to be safe so I'll defer to the experts.

Puppy Linux sounds like a good choice. Wikipedia says it focuses on ease of use. I haven't used Slax myself in years and I just noticed that it hasn't had a new release in over four years...

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4119 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
Reading about Americans and cashback credit cards all the time and knowing they don't exist in my country ...

If it makes you feel better, the cash back credit cards don't really make up for my $7000+/yr health insurance. ;-)
Referrals for...

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4120 on: August 14, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »

If it makes you feel better, the cash back credit cards don't really make up for my $7000+/yr health insurance. ;-)

Haha I was going to say the same thing once I got to my computer and could type but you beat me. Much rather have stable affordable health care than cash back on my purchases. I have a great employer sponsored plan... As long as I am wage slave that is.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4121 on: August 14, 2017, 06:24:12 PM »
Your IT SO doesn't have an extra computer of five laying around?

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4122 on: August 14, 2017, 07:58:52 PM »

I pay that much into my employer sponsored plan.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #4123 on: August 15, 2017, 05:36:42 AM »
Your IT SO doesn't have an extra computer of five laying around?

Funnily enough, he's in the middle of rebuilding his own primary machine, with a new case and some upgrades, and he's cannibalizing his old desktop for it.  So between us we have 3 non- or semi-functional computers in the house.  The good news is he brought back the linux boot drive yesterday, and it seemed to be going well when he tested it.  Hopefully I'll be able to use it today.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4124 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:55 AM »

NOOOOO!!!  Don't do it!!!!!!!!
If your money goes into the HSA directly from your savings account, you will lose out on one of the benefits of an HSA - skipping payroll taxes on the amount that goes in.  When you tell your employer that a portion of your paycheck needs to go to the HSA as an HSA contribution and your employer codes it correctly, then that portion of your paycheck is not subjected to income tax and payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare).  If you instead take money from your savings account and move it to the HSA, then your income taxes are adjusted on your tax return, but you LOSE the savings for payroll taxes.

Instead of moving money from savings to the HSA, get a payroll deduction form from your HSA provider and run the deductions through payroll.  Put huge amounts into the HSA for your next few pay periods while spending down that savings account, then stop the payroll deduction once the HSA is maxed or you have put whatever amount in that you planned.

If you have already made the transfer by the time you get this, you may be able to contact the HSA provider to reverse it (possibly for a fee) and then go through the contribution-via-payroll process.
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4125 on: August 22, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »
In some refresh or another, YNAB lost the ability to tell whether I am shopping at Trader Joe's grocery store or its wine store. And I like to track those separately. Sigh.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4126 on: August 22, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
In some refresh or another, YNAB lost the ability to tell whether I am shopping at Trader Joe's grocery store or its wine store. And I like to track those separately. Sigh.

For a while, Mint was having trouble figuring out if I were paying a medical co-pay (Harvard Vanguard), buying a ticket to a jazz concert (Village Vanguard) or making investments (just plain Vanguard).

It does get tiresome.
Referrals for...

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4127 on: August 22, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »
I am slightly scatty about invoicing people promptly because I don’t absolutely need the money literally right now or else I will starve to death/be evicted. I just realised while invoicing for the second payment that I never actually invoiced for the first payment on a long-term project at the time. Oopsie…

neverrun

• Bristles
« Reply #4128 on: August 22, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
Today I was setting up my electricity for the new place I'm moving into in 4 days on Friday.  Setting up the account was easy as I already had a relationship with the company having previously had them as a natural gas supplier.  My MPP, having to sit through the hard sell for the $30 a month insurance on 9 major appliances (not including the HVAC) and explaining no I don't want it and no it is not because I have a better deal somewhere.  It's because I freaking self insure on that.  (Especially at $360 a year).  Followed by explaining that no I don't need you to arrange for cable/internet for me, it's just not something I need to have immediately.  I didn't say thanks can I hang up now because I want power I don't want anything else you are selling, but it was close.   

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4129 on: August 24, 2017, 07:11:21 AM »
I want to try out my new Instant Pot but I have a bunch of stuff in my freezer already,
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4130 on: August 24, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
I am slightly scatty about invoicing people promptly because I don’t absolutely need the money literally right now or else I will starve to death/be evicted. I just realised while invoicing for the second payment that I never actually invoiced for the first payment on a long-term project at the time. Oopsie…

You realize that you're giving some poor accountant nightmares, right? There are those of us who freak out about that sort of thing.

PhrugalPhan

• Stubble
« Reply #4131 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
Had a MPP today.  On my travels last week I picked up 4 coupons for Aldis.  For this week and the next 3 I can get $5 off a $30 purchase.  My average bill for myself is around $30.  Today I went in as it was the next to last day for the first week's coupon although I didn't need much.  I got everything I felt I could use, and only had $18.  Sheesh.  Went around a second time and said ok, I can buy a few more just because.  Only $25.  OK... stop and think... ummm, lets get a large bag of trail mix for the Labor day weekend so I am ready now.  Whew, finally had $30.

My bigger concern is... 3 more weeks of this???  I don't buy meat usually, and the rest is so cheap... what am I going to buy?

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4132 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
Had a MPP today.  On my travels last week I picked up 4 coupons for Aldis.  For this week and the next 3 I can get $5 off a $30 purchase.  My average bill for myself is around $30.  Today I went in as it was the next to last day for the first week's coupon although I didn't need much.  I got everything I felt I could use, and only had $18.  Sheesh.  Went around a second time and said ok, I can buy a few more just because.  Only $25.  OK... stop and think... ummm, lets get a large bag of trail mix for the Labor day weekend so I am ready now.  Whew, finally had $30.

My bigger concern is... 3 more weeks of this???  I don't buy meat usually, and the rest is so cheap... what am I going to buy?

Stock up on nonperishables that you will use.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4133 on: August 24, 2017, 08:00:07 PM »

Yeah okay I never get these ones. Even when I lived in 500sq ft with then-fiance+dog. You can still get like, a bunch of bottles of ketchup or frozen veggies or something, lol. You'll eat stuff eventually, just... buy more than you need, knowing you'll use it?

(This, from the woman with 4 bottles of mustard in her pantry, haha).
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

dezharrington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4134 on: August 24, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »
So this is going to be my first blog post ever... I just listened to the Tim Ferriss podcast where he interviewed Mr. MM... And Mr. MM talked at length about the benefits of walking and biking most of the time. I currently live 1.5 hours away from my job. I live in an area in CA where the cost of living is lower, and work in an area where the pay and benefits are much better than the jobs where I live. I'm just wondering what I should do here... Should I find a job closer to home with a gigantic pay cut? I just don't like that idea because I will be saving less money towards Financial Independence, and it will take much longer to get there. Hoping I can get some good feedback on here. I don't really want to move closer to work because the cost of living in that area is waaaay too high.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4135 on: August 24, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »
So this is going to be my first blog post ever... I just listened to the Tim Ferriss podcast where he interviewed Mr. MM... And Mr. MM talked at length about the benefits of walking and biking most of the time. I currently live 1.5 hours away from my job. I live in an area in CA where the cost of living is lower, and work in an area where the pay and benefits are much better than the jobs where I live. I'm just wondering what I should do here... Should I find a job closer to home with a gigantic pay cut? I just don't like that idea because I will be saving less money towards Financial Independence, and it will take much longer to get there. Hoping I can get some good feedback on here. I don't really want to move closer to work because the cost of living in that area is waaaay too high.

You'd probably do better posting a new topic, but I would guess that most answers would tell you to look at getting a cheap place (shared apartment?) really close to your current job; consider that you are extending your working week an extra 15 hours a week (commute time) for no pay, extra stress, and huge miles on your vehicle.  How much are the current transportation costs compared to change in COL, and how are you valuing the loss of time + stress that comes with your commute?
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4136 on: August 24, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »

I highly recommend going and doing up a case study (link here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/), or post a specific question on a new topic under "ask a mustachian".
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

PhrugalPhan

• Stubble
« Reply #4137 on: August 24, 2017, 09:19:59 PM »

Yeah okay I never get these ones. Even when I lived in 500sq ft with then-fiance+dog. You can still get like, a bunch of bottles of ketchup or frozen veggies or something, lol. You'll eat stuff eventually, just... buy more than you need, knowing you'll use it?

I agree, you would think it was easy.  But I just came from visiting my mother and within a mile is a food outlet store where I stocked up on those types of things really cheap (ketchup for $.50, extra large rolls of toilet paper for $.40, jars of mayonnaise for $.25, bottles of salad dressing for $.20, protein bars for $.05 each, and so on) that I need to use up in the coming months.  Its crazy but now I don't need much at Aldis and I never thought I would say that. I have stocks of soap & shampoo to last me years.  I dunno... I gotta think on this over the weekend.

Financial Ascensionist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4138 on: August 24, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
Hoping I can get some good feedback on here. I don't really want to move closer to work because the cost of living in that area is waaaay too high.

I only had a car for the last three months of living 4+ years in the SF Bay Area.  I also lived with roommates and accepted housing options that were far from my ideal, but I was OK with it because I knew this was only temporary and that I was on the fast track to escape the madness.  How much do you value the three hours that you spend commuting everyday?  Is living closer to the office still more expensive when you factor your personal time in?  What if you factor in the two years of extra life expectancy that biking daily will give you?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4139 on: August 24, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »

I agree, you would think it was easy.  But I just came from visiting my mother and within a mile is a food outlet store where I stocked up on those types of things really cheap (ketchup for $.50, extra large rolls of toilet paper for $.40, jars of mayonnaise for $.25, bottles of salad dressing for $.20, protein bars for $.05 each, and so on) that I need to use up in the coming months.  Its crazy but now I don't need much at Aldis and I never thought I would say that. I have stocks of soap & shampoo to last me years.  I dunno... I gotta think on this over the weekend.

Okay, on the heels of another massive stock up is understandable =) That would be harder.

Do you have a freezer? Stock up on butter or something? I feel like it's a good cost/density/utility combination. You'll definitely need to plan out your next trips! =P

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4140 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »
Laundry stuff? Foil, wrap, sandwich bags?

Just make sure you don't buy stuff you wouldn't otherwise just to hit the minimum. That isn't saving any money.

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #4141 on: August 25, 2017, 06:01:53 AM »

Mail the coupons to me ;)

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4142 on: August 25, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »
Do your Aldi's not sell wine? I basically only buy wine when I need to hit a coupon threshold (and because it is amazing).

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4143 on: August 25, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »

Toilet paper, paper towels (I go through a ton b/c of working on the house, normally very little), hygiene products. However, if you already have a stash, then pass the coupons to someone else.

momcpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4144 on: August 25, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
Pick up a couple staples and donate them to the local food pantry or women's shelter.

edmundblackadder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4145 on: August 25, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
+1

Feminine hygiene products and bath stuff for a domestic violence shelter, they always need it.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4146 on: August 25, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
I was googling info on something and ended up at an article on PBS.org. The site pops up a window asking what my local station is.

I haven't had a TV since before I moved to this city/state, so I really have no idea... :-/
Referrals for...

MBot

• Bristles
« Reply #4147 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
Brought a can of soup to work as a backup lunch option.

But the kitchen at my work doesn't have a regular can opener. 500,000 sugar packets and a pound of pepper and 38 mugs. But no can opener.

.... so I used the kind of juice can opener that you use to pierce a tomato juice can and just sawtooth-hacked it open.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4148 on: August 26, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »

But the kitchen at my work doesn't have a regular can opener. 500,000 sugar packets and a pound of pepper and 38 mugs. But no can opener.

.... so I used the kind of juice can opener that you use to pierce a tomato juice can and just sawtooth-hacked it open.

Been their! Do you also have 15 boxes of plastic silverware but not a single fork anywhere? seems like I forget to pack a fork about once a month or so and I spend half my lunch break digging for what feels like the LAST fork.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4149 on: August 26, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »

Been their! Do you also have 15 boxes of plastic silverware but not a single fork anywhere? seems like I forget to pack a fork about once a month or so and I spend half my lunch break digging for what feels like the LAST fork.

Oh darn.  Maybe you could pick up basic cutlery and a can opener at a thrift store to keep at your desk.  I've always kept condiments at work.