Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1109259 times)

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
  • We are all strong, handsome and above average
Re: Mustachian People Problems (NOT for fun)
« Reply #1950 on: September 17, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
Ever since I started doing my own car maintenance I find myself looking for more things to do and considering unnecessary early maintenance.  For example, I drive so little ill probably never get to the 110k spark plug interval so I might end up changing them early just so they don't sit there too many years (I hear they can seize... Similar mileage vs time issues with other items like tires, timing belt, fluids, etc)

Did you tried to change the brake fluid? I spent 5$ to do it myself last year and the color was disgusting, this is suposed to help the whole break system to last because of the moisture etc.
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1951 on: September 17, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
Ever since I started doing my own car maintenance I find myself looking for more things to do and considering unnecessary early maintenance.  For example, I drive so little ill probably never get to the 110k spark plug interval so I might end up changing them early just so they don't sit there too many years (I hear they can seize... Similar mileage vs time issues with other items like tires, timing belt, fluids, etc)

Did you tried to change the brake fluid? I spent 5$ to do it myself last year and the color was disgusting, this is suposed to help the whole break system to last because of the moisture etc.

Yeah, I flushed some in the process of doing my brakes and the fluid looked good so I just topped it off rather than going through the trouble of a full flush.  The real reason I avoided doing more is just that I'm worried more about somehow getting air in the lines.

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1952 on: September 17, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »

Yeah, I flushed some in the process of doing my brakes and the fluid looked good so I just topped it off rather than going through the trouble of a full flush.  The real reason I avoided doing more is just that I'm worried more about somehow getting air in the lines.

That air thing is not a big deal when the flush is done properly. I never try to do a perfect job but more than 90% of the fluid is replaced. A small bottle is enough for a normal car so I include this in my routine every 2-3 years. The same for coolant every 5 years, I replace 3.8 liters even if the capacity is 5 liters or so. I prefer doing this than nothing!
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1953 on: September 17, 2015, 06:28:21 PM »
Never knowing whether people mean 150k or 500k when they say "mid six figures".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1954 on: September 17, 2015, 08:15:01 PM »
Never knowing whether people mean 150k or 500k when they say "mid six figures".

I think most people mean 150k although it would technically be 500k.  I've seen a very few that obviously mean 500k.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1955 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:49 AM »

- like what your avatar is doing to that car?  You may want to crack open the user's manual to make sure you're doing it right.
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1956 on: September 18, 2015, 04:41:17 AM »

- like what your avatar is doing to that car?  You may want to crack open the user's manual to make sure you're doing it right.i

A fluid change I guess, but a Dragon's fluid change. Dont know if it really benefit the car at all?

-MMM

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1957 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »

- like what your avatar is doing to that car?  You may want to crack open the user's manual to make sure you're doing it right.i

A fluid change I guess, but a Dragon's fluid change. Dont know if it really benefit the car at all?

That'll gum up the brake lines...

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1958 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
My upstairs neighbor runs their AC a lot more than I do (granted, it's probably a couple degrees warmer upstairs).  At night when mine is off while their continues to run and run and run and build up condensation and drip down on my window ac unit with a loud pelunk that reverberates through the unit and wakes me up.  Sometimes I can ignore it.  I started sleeping facing the other direction so I my head wasn't right next to the window...  one night I was so exhausted I just couldn't handle it.  The room was cool enough, but I had to turn the ac's fan on to create enough noise and drown that pelunk out.  If I ran the ac 24/7 I'd never notice.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #1959 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
My supermarket only has 12 eggs of the cheap brand while they do have boxes of 6 of the more expensive. So now I'm buying 12 eggs instead of 6 because it's cheaper, knowing I probably will have to throw roughly 6 of them away and I hate spilling food... :(
(I don't like hard/softboiled eggs, omelet, ... I only use them for some desserts and very rarely for pancakes).

Although I might have a go at making a quiche one of these days I guess...

Commercial eggs in the US* last a very long time. I've had them last months after the date on the carton (can't remember if that's sell by or use by).
*thoroughly washed and always refrigerated

You could try powdered eggs, but I'm not sure how well that works for baking. I ended up with a huge supply of high quality powdered milk (Amazon accidentally sent me a case of cans of it instead of just one), and it's actually extremely convenient because I don't use milk often enough to use it up in liquid form before it goes bad. Even with powdered milk, the best before date is only a year out, and I don't know if I'll use it all before then. I would need to use about a gallon (rehydrated) a month.

Kriegsspiel

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1960 on: September 18, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »

DRAGON-CAR RAPE IS NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1961 on: September 19, 2015, 02:30:20 PM »

DRAGON-CAR RAPE IS NOTHING TO JOKE ABOUT.

A dragon fluid change adds +10 HP but increases braking distance by +5 feet

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1962 on: September 21, 2015, 12:36:42 PM »
After a few years shopping exclusively at thrift stores, trying to shop retail is a shock. I'm not in touch with retail prices anymore, and I find outrageous what my friends find completely reasonable.
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #1963 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
I struggle with whether to tell people the start dates for pensions at my current jobs (civil service + ANG) are so late in life that they're superfluous, and I'm only holding out for 20 years ANG (age 44) for the lifetime commissary privileges.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:02:52 AM by zephyr911 »
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

DINK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1964 on: September 22, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »
I have to constantly teach people how to lock the doors on my 2000 Subaru Brighton - *push the button down, hold the handle up, close door*.

Same. I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla with manual locks (and windows!) and I always have to remind people to lock the door when they get out. I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break! I had a friend whose automatic window broke in the down position unluckily enough on a very rainy day.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1965 on: September 22, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Shopped a 2nd hand clothes store for a friend's baby shower. Best part is with baby clothes, it's easy to find clothes with tags still on them - so people don't know I get them for $1-3 each.  Ended up spending about $15 on a handful of outfits for their soon to be addition.  Add in a few small extras bought on clearance with coupons ('BBB' baby store takes 20% off coupon for clearance!) total gift was less than $25 out of pocket.

Apparently, I 'spent' well over $100 and made the 'wealthy' grandmother's gift (2 outfits the same brand as mine, but from the actual store, no extras) look so bad that she was crying in the back room. 

So in the future, apparently my good shopping is going to make it harder for me to give gifts without insulting rich people.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1966 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
Shopped a 2nd hand clothes store for a friend's baby shower. Best part is with baby clothes, it's easy to find clothes with tags still on them - so people don't know I get them for $1-3 each.  Ended up spending about $15 on a handful of outfits for their soon to be addition.  Add in a few small extras bought on clearance with coupons ('BBB' baby store takes 20% off coupon for clearance!) total gift was less than $25 out of pocket.

Apparently, I 'spent' well over $100 and made the 'wealthy' grandmother's gift (2 outfits the same brand as mine, but from the actual store, no extras) look so bad that she was crying in the back room. 

So in the future, apparently my good shopping is going to make it harder for me to give gifts without insulting rich people.

Just 2 outfits? Wealthy grandma needs to step up her game.  It's not you, it's her.
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1967 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »

Just 2 outfits? Wealthy grandma needs to step up her game.  It's not you, it's her.

Based on the website prices, those 2 outfits were $25 - EACH.  So... at least she tried to be spendy??

It doesn't really bug me, but it felt like the most MMM thing when I was being cheap (buying 'used' clothes with tags for a gift, shopping clearance with coupons) and still "insulted" spendypants people.

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1968 on: September 22, 2015, 11:10:32 AM »
I have to constantly teach people how to lock the doors on my 2000 Subaru Brighton - *push the button down, hold the handle up, close door*.

Same. I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla with manual locks (and windows!) and I always have to remind people to lock the door when they get out. I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break! I had a friend whose automatic window broke in the down position unluckily enough on a very rainy day.

Ha, yes! I had this mustachian problem when I had a car, too. I loved my manual locks and windows, and DINK took the words right out of my mouth: I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break! Manually locking the car with my key (in order to prevent you from locking your key in the car, the driver's side door would only lock from the outside) was also a much stronger habit than pushing a little button. I've been with people many times who are like, "did I lock my car?" and have to go back and check, but with my manual locks, I was more confident that I had. I feel the same way about paying my monthly bills, too. I switched back to paying them by check because writing out a check by hand helps me to remember much better that I already paid something & helps me avoid the panicked thought, "oh no, did I forget to pay that??"

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1969 on: September 22, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
I actually prefer manual locks and windows, one less thing to break!
Supposedly electric windows are a lot more reliable than manual ones.

The window is moved at the design speed and stops at a preditacble point -instead of a handle and gears having to cope with being banged around and wrenched up/down by gorillas

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1970 on: September 22, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »

The window is moved at the design speed and stops at a preditacble point -instead of a handle and gears having to cope with being banged around and wrenched up/down by gorillas

I would believe it. I have seen a manual window break on a vehicle that was less than two years old.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1971 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:44 AM »

HA HA HA! That is hilarious! Did you explain what you had done?

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1972 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »

Nope, the SO doesn't like people to know that I happily gift 'used' items, so I just say stuff like I got them on an end of season sale and such.  I once told a 'friend' that I shopped clearance and she was offended that I "didn't value her enough to pay full price" - ignoring that I got her a lot more stuff since it was all cheaper.  So now I just don't say how I shop for gifts, makes life easier.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1973 on: September 24, 2015, 09:25:58 AM »

Nope, the SO doesn't like people to know that I happily gift 'used' items, so I just say stuff like I got them on an end of season sale and such.  I once told a 'friend' that I shopped clearance and she was offended that I "didn't value her enough to pay full price" - ignoring that I got her a lot more stuff since it was all cheaper.  So now I just don't say how I shop for gifts, makes life easier.

I'm so disturbed by this. People are nutz.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1974 on: September 24, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Jebus Christmas. I'd be mad if you didn't value me enough to get the best value for whatever you saw fit to spend. People are nuts indeed.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1975 on: September 24, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »
Jebus Christmas. I'd be mad if you didn't value me enough to get the best value for whatever you saw fit to spend. People are nuts indeed.

I'm the same way, I set a $$ amount and buy what I can for that price.  sometimes it is a lot (if I have time and there are good sales) and sometimes it isn't (don't care enough to shop, couldn't find a sale on something I liked).  I think everyone would rather get $75 worth of stuff then $25 worth of stuff, except for that crazy person.  I'm pretty sure I laughed in her face, and it goes without saying, she didn't stay in my life for that much longer.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1976 on: September 24, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »
I ended up with a huge supply of high quality powdered milk (Amazon accidentally sent me a case of cans of it instead of just one), and it's actually extremely convenient because I don't use milk often enough to use it up in liquid form before it goes bad. Even with powdered milk, the best before date is only a year out, and I don't know if I'll use it all before then. I would need to use about a gallon (rehydrated) a month.
Meh, I'd take a sharpie and cross out the expiration dates. Stored in a cool, dry place, it'll keep for years, especially in cans. BTW -did you actually just say you got eleven cans free due to a shipping error? Definitely an MPP.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1977 on: September 24, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »

It also depends on the material used to make the window regulators. We had one fail on a previous car (VW Golf) because VW was using plastic regs, which ultimately perish. (I know, VW cutting corners, shocker.) It was winter, night-time, and my husband and I had a three hour drive home, so we layered on every piece of clothing we had.

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #1978 on: September 24, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
Does this count?

I just got my electric bill, and I was upset sat the price.  $25.41  Ugh!  I really wanted to be under $25!  I was so close! :(

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #1979 on: September 24, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
You know that Monopoly game at MacDonald's? I will never ever win, because i doubt I eat there even once a year, let alone often enough to collect matching properties

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1980 on: September 25, 2015, 12:04:07 AM »
Today was payday at one of my jobs and I realized with horror that I had miscalculated my pretax deferred compensation contribution and was going to contribute over the $18,000 limit to my account this year, so I went on the deferred account website to figure out how to cancel a single paycheck's contribution. I couldn't figure it out even after calling the helpline, so I asked some of my coworkers if they'd had a similar problem (needed to cancel a single contribution) and found out that I am apparently the only one in my little office who contributes to the pre-tax deferred comp plan. Or who will admit to doing so.

Guess I'm on my own for future deferred comp website challenges.

(Eventually figured it out and will hit $18,000 spot on the nose this year. Have already scheduled 2016 contributions to avoid this problem next year).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:06:14 AM by Urchina »

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1981 on: September 25, 2015, 05:39:53 AM »
Today was payday at one of my jobs and I realized with horror that I had miscalculated my pretax deferred compensation contribution and was going to contribute over the $18,000 limit to my account this year, so I went on the deferred account website to figure out how to cancel a single paycheck's contribution. I couldn't figure it out even after calling the helpline, so I asked some of my coworkers if they'd had a similar problem (needed to cancel a single contribution) and found out that I am apparently the only one in my little office who contributes to the pre-tax deferred comp plan. Or who will admit to doing so.

(Eventually figured it out and will hit $18,000 spot on the nose this year. Have already scheduled 2016 contributions to avoid this problem next year).
You don't have to stress about this, your payroll department will stop the contributions when they hit $18,000 automatically.

Slam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1982 on: September 25, 2015, 08:16:59 AM »
You know that Monopoly game at MacDonald's? I will never ever win, because i doubt I eat there even once a year, let alone often enough to collect matching properties

They still have the Monopoly game?  Seriously...I don't remember the last time I went to McDonald's.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1983 on: September 25, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
You don't have to stress about this, your payroll department will stop the contributions when they hit $18,000 automatically.

If you do it under TSP, it's a real ass pain. They don't necessarily stop it, you have to fill out a form to request payback within ~3 months, and it's taxable income when they return it; if you don't, they keep your money.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1984 on: September 25, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

They will, but depending on how backwards the system is, they hate this.  My mustachian problem is that my wife tried to request $1500/mo to be contributed but they ended up adjusting it to like $1499.02 or something dumb like that. 

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #1985 on: September 25, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »

They will, but depending on how backwards the system is, they hate this.  My mustachian problem is that my wife tried to request $1500/mo to be contributed but they ended up adjusting it to like $1499.02 or something dumb like that.

Just be aware if you are paid every two weeks, you might be getting 27 paychecks this year, not 26.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/08/us-jobs-payroll-27thpaycheck-idUSKBN0KH1XI20150108

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #1986 on: September 25, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
I don't know how other workplaces do it, but I get paid every two weeks, while benefits are taken out twice monthly.

So in months when there is a third paycheck, it's HUGE. No FSA contributions coming out, no benefits, etc. (Now, I'm a part-time librarian, so when I say "huge," I mean "over seven hundred dollars!" instead of my usual 330-360.)
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1987 on: September 25, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »

Just be aware if you are paid every two weeks, you might be getting 27 paychecks this year, not 26.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/08/us-jobs-payroll-27thpaycheck-idUSKBN0KH1XI20150108

She's paid monthly

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1988 on: September 25, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »
I'm actually paid bi-weekly, but our official payroll calendar indicates 26 pay periods this year, so that is what I've planned for. 

As far as leaving it up to payroll to make sure my contributions don't go over - um, nope. Our payroll department is byzantine at best and I don't want to deal with the headache (and penalties) that would result if the made a mistake. 

Still - I'm the only one in my office who worries about this? Really?

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1989 on: September 26, 2015, 06:36:09 AM »
I don't know how other workplaces do it, but I get paid every two weeks, while benefits are taken out twice monthly.

So in months when there is a third paycheck, it's HUGE. No FSA contributions coming out, no benefits, etc. (Now, I'm a part-time librarian, so when I say "huge," I mean "over seven hundred dollars!" instead of my usual 330-360.)

Me too! October is a 3 paycheck month for me this year, and I'm shoving the entire 3rd paycheck into paying off debt. It feels so good to make that huge payment.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1990 on: September 26, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »

Last line of that article: "You can even have a whole paycheck go in and then be done contributing for the year."

Only saving 1/27 (or 1/26, depending on your employment contract) of your income for retirement? That's worse than I imagined.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1991 on: September 27, 2015, 03:23:56 AM »

Last line of that article: "You can even have a whole paycheck go in and then be done contributing for the year."

Only saving 1/27 (or 1/26, depending on your employment contract) of your income for retirement? That's worse than I imagined.

It must be nice to make $500k/year

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1992 on: September 28, 2015, 05:35:43 AM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt."

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

Even better, I used to have an AAA membership that showed a "member since" date several years before I was born. Something like 20 years before I could legally drive.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1993 on: September 28, 2015, 06:57:57 AM »
At the Wells Fargo ATM on the screen where you enter your pin number it gives you the option to go to your most frequently used transaction type.  Mine now reads "Make a deposit and email receipt."

I think it's your most recently used, though it could be most used. Mine shows the same as that's all I ever do as well. Plus, the most insane thing is, the teller (when I was depositing cash) looked at me and said, "Looks like you've been a Wells Fargo customer for... 25 years." I'm 25 years old.

Even better, I used to have an AAA membership that showed a "member since" date several years before I was born. Something like 20 years before I could legally drive.

How did this occur? Ha! :)

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #1994 on: September 29, 2015, 12:20:12 AM »
On a business trip to Vegas, and after work stuff and dinner is over for the day, there is nothing to do.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1995 on: September 29, 2015, 06:45:27 AM »
On a business trip to Vegas, and after work stuff and dinner is over for the day, there is nothing to do.

Just walk around in amazement and report all the stories back to us. ;)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1996 on: September 29, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »

Definitely, this.  We went to Vegas 20 years ago and wound up hanging out at UNLV and the Public Library. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1997 on: September 29, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »

Definitely, this.  We went to Vegas 20 years ago and wound up hanging out at UNLV and the Public Library.

I always enjoy gym, saunas, pools.
Also walking thru all casinos and resorts on strip- especially :
Belagio, venetian, Luxor, cosmopolitan, Caesars palace (& beautiful mall attached - Roman statues and painted sky, pink and blue), palazzo. Way too extravagant and each very different.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1998 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »

I like to watch HGTV when I am on work trips. I don't have cable at home.

But in Vegas, I think I'd just look around and judge the extravagance.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1999 on: September 29, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
I like to watch HGTV when I am on work trips. I don't have cable at home.
No TVs in Vegas hotel rooms - they don't want you hanging around in your room
And no coffee machines - I had to buy one the last time I was there for a week for a trade show