Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087016 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3450 on: January 13, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

Reminds me of my MPP (I guess not really, it seems more like an OCD thing than anything else), Vanguard's total for automatic deductions for last year were $5499.99 for both mine and my wife's tIRA's.  Vanguard rounds it up to get it as close to the amount as possible.  My urge for round numbers literally have me consider doing something about those last 2 cents.

I gave up too   Stupid $1 transfer minimum! Haha. Kind of.

I guess this is tangentially related to me having a Fidelity Investments account with 1 penny in it that I can't transfer out.

I transferred all my money out of a taxable account there, and tried to close it. They said I couldn't close it yet because they had to submit some tax form so I had to leave it open until that was finished (I've forgotten the details). Then they paid me a penny in interest at the end of the month for the handful of days after I'd sold all my investments and was waiting for it to transfer out. I can't get the penny out because of their minimum transfer rules. I'm leaving it open just to annoy them at this point.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3451 on: January 13, 2017, 05:50:43 PM »
Can you transfer the remaining credit to a gift card?
Nope, I wish! I can't bring myself to use credit to stock upon toilet paper, because right now they have a deal where if you spend cash on toilet paper you get 100% back in the form of store credit (which is how I ended up in this situation in the first place).

And I stocked up on AA batteries recently when they were 60 batteries for $10 - but I accidentally ordered AAA's at first, so now I have 60 of each kind.

Today, I went over there with the idea that I WOULD NOT FAIL. Gallons of milk, clearanced pie shells for pumpkin pies, a couple $3 fleece blankets to try making a weighted blanket, a $9 pack of underwear, I made sure I was safely above the threshold of what was about to expire.

Then I got home and realized the cashier never charged me for the underwear.

The saga continues.

Why don't you buy some things to donate to charity?  Like gloves and a scarf?  Then it's not a "thing" taking up space at your home, but also the money doesn't get waste.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3452 on: January 13, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »
If it was me I would pay for the underwear. Someone at the store will probably get the third degree for their stock not matching.

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
« Reply #3453 on: January 13, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living. For example, friend recently singing the praises of her house cleaner, said "you should make it a goal to one day make enough to be able to afford one yourself". Okay, I lied, it wasn't a friend who said that, it was my MOM, and the best reply I could come up with in the moment was this: "we already can afford to have a house cleaner, we just choose not to spend our money on that." Wish I could have thought of something more clever....

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #3454 on: January 13, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living. For example, friend recently singing the praises of her house cleaner, said "you should make it a goal to one day make enough to be able to afford one yourself". Okay, I lied, it wasn't a friend who said that, it was my MOM, and the best reply I could come up with in the moment was this: "we already can afford to have a house cleaner, we just choose not to spend our money on that." Wish I could hayve thought of something more clever....

That sounds absolutely perfect to me!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3455 on: January 14, 2017, 12:55:47 AM »
Any phrase that starts 'you should make a goal to ...' is going to end badly. It is like saying 'you should make my priorities  your priorities'.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3456 on: January 14, 2017, 07:22:09 AM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living.
I've had that happen too! When I was biking to work, there was one day I drove because of thunderstorms - I prefer not to get struck by lightening, at least not before my morning coffee. One of my students asked "You have a car?!!"  I suddenly had visions of my well-meaning students starting a gofundme campaign behind my back to buy me a car as a retirement gift. Yikes.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3457 on: January 14, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living.
I've had that happen too! When I was biking to work, there was one day I drove because of thunderstorms - I prefer not to get struck by lightening, at least not before my morning coffee. One of my students asked "You have a car?!!"  I suddenly had visions of my well-meaning students starting a gofundme campaign behind my back to buy me a car as a retirement gift. Yikes.

I know what you mean. I always get offered rides home or to other destinations that are less than a half mile. I know it's below freezing outside but its dry and clear. I own a coat, stocking hat, and thick gloves I'll be just fine I promise. I don't think people can fully wrap their heads around the fact that it is a choice. I could afford to drive my 1/2 ton pickup everywhere and start it 20 minutes before I leave so it's nice and warm and I only have to spend about three seconds in the cold but I value my money, the short workout built into my day, and not being a complete wasteful jackass.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #3458 on: January 14, 2017, 12:10:17 PM »
I can't get the penny out because of their minimum transfer rules. I'm leaving it open just to annoy them at this point.

A client wrote me a bad check.  Pretty soon, covered it.  A month or two later, I bounced some checks, each costing me $33.  I couldn't believe it; it didn't compute; my records and my account always matched before.  When I went to the credit union, they told me, "Oh, ha, ha.  After that check bounced, we put a 10-day hold on all incoming checks." 

"You never told me you were doing that." 

"We didn't did we?  Oh well, you know it now."

I did, I knew it then.  I left $25 in the account,which was the minimum.  When they asked if I'd like electronic statements, I insisted on mailed.  At least 4 times a year, they had to sent me account information, costing them about 10% of the account value per year just in postage.  And every few years, I removed the accumulated interest (pennies) to bring it back down to $25.  When they told me - by mail - the account would be closed for inactivity, I deposited $10, waited a year, and took it out.   I repeated that many times, each time waiting for them to warn me by mail.  I told my children that they could expect to find either a $25 or $35 credit union account when I died, and told them why.  They thought I was being petty, and I was.  But not petty enough; I was to be even more so.  When that credit union went under, I went in to rescue my $25.28, and told the teller about the situation.  She peered into her screen and said, "Well, yes!  Look at that!  There's a 10-day hold on all incoming checks.   Why, that's more than 20 years ago!"

"Yup.  I know it's not your fault, Miss, and I'm sorry about your job, but if you get to chat with management, please just pass it on from me, fredbear, that I'm glad their credit union has failed.  I guess somehow even those $33 penalties weren't enough to save it."

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3459 on: January 14, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »

I know what you mean. I always get offered rides home or to other destinations that are less than a half mile. I know it's below freezing outside but its dry and clear. I own a coat, stocking hat, and thick gloves I'll be just fine I promise. I don't think people can fully wrap their heads around the fact that it is a choice. I could afford to drive my 1/2 ton pickup everywhere and start it 20 minutes before I leave so it's nice and warm and I only have to spend about three seconds in the cold but I value my money, the short workout built into my day, and not being a complete wasteful jackass.

Reminds me of the time when I was walking to work each day, but suddenly needed my car for a client visit that afternoon.   i asked someone leaving on lunch break if they could drop me off at my home to get my car.  They said "sure but I park far away for free parking so you may be just as well off walking home".....

After they dropped me off (1-2 miles), they agreed that I was right.....

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3460 on: January 14, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
When I needed to buy a new used car last Sept on short notice, I bought a 10 y/o hatchback and put most of it on my cash back CC...then promptly paid it off before interest accrued. People at work were asking if I had bad credit and couldn't afford a better car or get a loan.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3461 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »

I had a teacher in highschool who hadn't driven anywhere in years, by their choice. Walked everywhere, no problems, 40 below zero with wind and snow, or 110 above. I never imagined it was because they didn't have a car though - different perspectives, I guess.

ForeignServiceWife

• Stubble
« Reply #3462 on: January 15, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
When you see your toddler's toy on the floor and, without even thinking about what you're saying, tell her "Go pick up Mr. Money Mustache."

Cyrddin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3463 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
When you see your toddler's toy on the floor and, without even thinking about what you're saying, tell her "Go pick up Mr. Money Mustache."

Ha!  This is awesome. =)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3464 on: January 16, 2017, 12:55:23 AM »

I had a teacher in highschool who hadn't driven anywhere in years, by their choice. Walked everywhere, no problems, 40 below zero with wind and snow, or 110 above. I never imagined it was because they didn't have a car though - different perspectives, I guess.

In my previous house my husband and I both walked to the train station every day. That was a 13 minute walk. Once the young neighbour girl asked me: "Why do you always walk?". She obviously could not imagine that people would voluntarily walk. I had to explain about taking the train, probably also a new concept to her, even though she could see it driving past every hour.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #3465 on: January 16, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »

Some people don't realize that people prefer to walk in crisp weather. Personally, that cold is a bit drastic to me.

One morning, I had to be outside in the rain at work for about 15 minutes. I didn't have an umbrella, but when I came back inside I felt so at ease! Being in the rain for that time was actually very pleasant!  (disclaimer: I had a water resistant jacket but can't say that for my pants, shoes and SOCKS! haha)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3466 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
MPP:
      Want to reallocate some stock $ to real estate (mortgage).
Problem, capital gains (on 3X basis) taxes are holding me back.

The amount reallocated wouldn't be much and would pay off mortgage.  It would be less than the latest "runup" amount.

Can't. Pull. Trigger....

On the walking in 0°F weather, I did it once, walking the dog we are dog-sitting.   It was fun once, but I was really cold.
--Canadians, northern tier US states residents are allowed to giggle at my wimpyness.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3467 on: January 16, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
I have a hard time getting excited about working overtime any more. We have a bunch coming in this week and everybody is so excited to get that extra $$$. I'm over here like meh.... I guess it's more stocks to by but it's also more time not doing things I want to.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3468 on: January 16, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
I've always felt like 40 hours a week monopolized my Monday through Friday anyways, so if I'm working I might as well work a decent amount.

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3469 on: January 17, 2017, 02:34:26 PM »
Last week I slid on ice and slid into a curb, causing damage to my suspension. At work I explained to a coworker that "At least now I will get to" she finished my sentence with " buy a new car" I said, no I get to learn how to repair my suspension.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3470 on: January 17, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »

On the walking in 0°F weather, I did it once, walking the dog we are dog-sitting.   It was fun once, but I was really cold.
--Canadians, northern tier US states residents are allowed to giggle at my wimpyness.

My dogs stop getting walks when it is 0F windchill (usually 15F). But I didn't get DH to drive me to work until the windchill reached -30F. It was only a mile, and I wore ski pants.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3471 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
I was excited about some really good sale prices at the grocery store today until I remembered we have the same things in the garden. Guess there's a reason they're on sale... they're in season.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #3472 on: January 17, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »

My dogs stop getting walks when it is 0F windchill (usually 15F). But I didn't get DH to drive me to work until the windchill reached -30F. It was only a mile, and I wore ski pants.

My record is a mile and a half to work in -35F wind chill.  Felt pretty badass after that!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3473 on: January 18, 2017, 01:17:08 AM »

I have observed a dog owner driving his car slowly with the dog walking beside the car. This was in the summer in pleasant weather.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3474 on: January 18, 2017, 05:51:43 AM »

I have observed a dog owner driving his car slowly with the dog walking beside the car. This was in the summer in pleasant weather.
WTF! I biked my dog a few days ago with snow and ice on the ground. Grumble grumble...

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3475 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:07 AM »
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume (hope?) they were recovering from knee surgery or coping with some other medical problem.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #3476 on: January 18, 2017, 10:10:42 AM »

A client wrote me a bad check.  Pretty soon, covered it.  A month or two later, I bounced some checks, each costing me $33.  I couldn't believe it; it didn't compute; my records and my account always matched before.  When I went to the credit union, they told me, "Oh, ha, ha.  After that check bounced, we put a 10-day hold on all incoming checks." 

"You never told me you were doing that." 

"We didn't did we?  Oh well, you know it now."

Our experience with credit unions was generally that they were very nice, but not super competent.  When we were using one as our primary bank at one point, we got a notice of insufficient funds at one point for a couple of checks.  They had an "auto transfer" thing from savings, so the checks didn't bounce, but I went in to find out what happened.  They had changed their accounting system so that my auto-deposit paycheck went into savings instead of checking.  This was long before MMM existed, but even then we kept our checking balance pretty low, since we could earn interest in savings. 

They very apologetically refunded the fees, and I was getting ready to go, when I asked what would make sure this wouldn't happen next month.  They checked, and they hadn't actually fixed the problem, the same thing would have happened next month.  Then they fixed the problem and I left.  Nice, but it would have been reassuring if they had thought to fix the actual problem themselves.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #3477 on: January 18, 2017, 10:14:45 AM »
My record is a mile and a half to work in -35F wind chill.  Felt pretty badass after that!

I love walking in extreme cold! If you're dressed right, it's nothing, and it does make you feel like a badass. Until I had kids I used to walk about 3km to work every day, rain or shine, 40C or -40C. Miss it a lot, but since my parking is much cheaper than my wife's would be, I have to drive these days.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3478 on: January 19, 2017, 12:15:13 AM »
I love walking in extreme cold! If you're dressed right, it's nothing, and it does make you feel like a badass. Until I had kids I used to walk about 3km to work every day, rain or shine, 40C or -40C. Miss it a lot, but since my parking is much cheaper than my wife's would be, I have to drive these days.

I don't quite follow. Does one of you need to drive the kids? Is it too far for them to walk?

I also love the cold as long as my feet stay dry. One wet foot and I get grumpy and decidedly less badass.

blahblahblah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3479 on: January 19, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »
I held on to some holiday cash for a treat-yo-self retail purchase, only to realize it would bring me more joy to invest the money.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3480 on: January 19, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
We had to bring a dog urine sample to the vet last night to confirm an infection in one of our dogs.  I had it in a plastic quart-sized container (one we use routinely to store leftovers).

The vet tech took it from me, and asked "Do you want the container back?"

I hesitated, and my girlfriend's eyes said "DON'T."

I said no.

I'll miss that container.  We have about 20 others just like it, and they are not expensive, but now we have one less.  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3481 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
We had to bring a dog urine sample to the vet last night to confirm an infection in one of our dogs.  I had it in a plastic quart-sized container (one we use routinely to store leftovers).

I said no.

I'll miss that container.  We have about 20 others just like it, and they are not expensive, but now we have one less.  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

Save some of the plastic containers that butter, etc come in. Then you can lose a few with no guilt.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3482 on: January 19, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »

I said no.

Save some of the plastic containers that butter, etc come in. Then you can lose a few with no guilt.

We save cool whip and sour cream containers for that.  Or when we want to send someone home with left overs.  Or any other scenario where I need a disposable container.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3483 on: January 19, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
Credit Karma Tax is live and I'm rarin' to try it out (free tax filing, Federal and State (I have no State anyway, but still)) - but I checked on Vanguard to see when tax forms would come out and it says:

"Brokerage account forms and statements are available by late February (to help reduce the number of revised statements that may result from income reclassifications by securities issuers)."

:/

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3484 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
Assuming I have reasonable gear to wear I love walking in the rain. I used to have a job that would keep me outside in just about any weather and I enjoyed the wet days as long as I could get inside a bit each and warm up or dry out.

I think I'd love England or the PNW if I had a dry shop big enough to work in.

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #3485 on: January 19, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »

I said no.

Hahahahaha I laughed out loud at this. This is me.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3486 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
I got an approved credit card offer in the mail. 5% back on two categories I select (with an asterisk that may limit my choices) 0% interest for 15 cycles, and $100 cashback after I spend $500 in the first 90 days.

Trying to figure out if I can manage to spend that much in 3 months. $166 a month. I suppose I will be able to.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3487 on: January 19, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
I got an approved credit card offer in the mail. 5% back on two categories I select (with an asterisk that may limit my choices) 0% interest for 15 cycles, and $100 cashback after I spend $500 in the first 90 days.

Trying to figure out if I can manage to spend that much in 3 months. $166 a month. I suppose I will be able to.

I suggest going to the BoA website and seeing what you are preapproved for. I have an offer sitting there to get $200 on a $500 spend. Barclay often has something similar. 3 month spend period.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3488 on: January 19, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »

I said no.

We save cool whip and sour cream containers for that.  Or when we want to send someone home with left overs.  Or any other scenario where I need a disposable container.
I do have a couple plastic yogurt or sour cream containers, but I've noticed the lids tend to be prone to leaking, and I'll risk that with a lot of things, but not dog urine in a rental car.

The container (cheap deli/takeout-style, not tupperware-style or anything nice) was probably less than 50 cents in a multi-pack a few years ago, and had already been used at least ten times for various things.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3489 on: January 19, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

I said no.

I do have a couple plastic yogurt or sour cream containers, but I've noticed the lids tend to be prone to leaking, and I'll risk that with a lot of things, but not dog urine in a rental car.

The container (cheap deli/takeout-style, not tupperware-style or anything nice) was probably less than 50 cents in a multi-pack a few years ago, and had already been used at least ten times for various things.

I don't trust any tupper wear to not leak. It always gets bagged in a plastic grocery bag before going to my back pack.

I would be even more risk averse with dog urine though.  That probably deserves the apple pie treatment, ie wife holds it on her lap until we get there. 

TrMama

« Reply #3490 on: January 19, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »

I said no.

I don't trust any tupper wear to not leak. It always gets bagged in a plastic grocery bag before going to my back pack.

I would be even more risk averse with dog urine though.  That probably deserves the apple pie treatment, ie wife holds it on her lap until we get there.

Pshaw. You're a bunch of amateurs. I've taken kid urine to the lab in my backpack on my bike before. Works great on cold days when the sample is supposed to be refrigerated anyway. Plus, I didn't have to pay for parking.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3491 on: January 19, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
My husband's motorbike is insured with a company that is merging with the company that holds our car insurance policy, which means multi-policy discount!

But the bike is for sale so we're not renewing the insurance.

I know it's better to save 100 per cent of the policy than 10 per cent, but I still feel strangely disappointed.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3492 on: January 19, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
Pshaw. You're a bunch of amateurs. I've taken kid urine to the lab in my backpack on my bike before. Works great on cold days when the sample is supposed to be refrigerated anyway. Plus, I didn't have to pay for parking.

But do you get your container back?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3493 on: January 19, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

As long as it's dishwasher safe, I wouldn't give half a shit that it once held dog urine.  If you own a dog, you probably have a decent amount of dog urine around your house (or you will once your dog gets older)

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3494 on: January 19, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »
The work minivan with only 152k miles has to be retired. It's so old they no longer make replacement parts for it. I'm on week 2 of waffling over my available choices in the under $10k category. Toyota's holding their value is awesome until you're on the buying side.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3495 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
On the first read, I thought: "What kind of place gives you free parking if you bring a container of urine?!"

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #3496 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »

I said no.

Hahahahaha I laughed out loud at this. This is me.

This is my husband. I did NOT laugh at this.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #3497 on: January 19, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
Today my MPP turned into a benefit!

We have a house that is ridiculously large for our family of three, but we own it outright and it would be too expensive to move (also my DH is a slight hoarder so there's that). Except for the only bathroom, which is the only reason that I've considered moving - it is ridiculously small!

Today I was browsing the interwebs and saw someone complaining that they hate the 30 seconds after a shower because they get so chilly... and the light bulb went on - I am never cold coming out of the shower because my teeny bathroom steams up so quickly!!
Now my "teeny bathroom" is my "luxury steam room" after a shower!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3498 on: January 20, 2017, 01:31:48 AM »
  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

As long as it's dishwasher safe, I wouldn't give half a shit that it once held dog urine.  If you own a dog, you probably have a decent amount of dog urine around your house (or you will once your dog gets older)

True, but I do try to avoid storing food for extended periods of time on the sections of floor that have been used regularly for a toilet. I'm pretty prissy.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #3499 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »
My car is too old to be used for Uber driving.

I waste time looking for things in the fridge because everything is stored in identical 'Ukrainian Tupperware' aka yogurt containers.

I have a drawer full of unused gift cards because I don't want anything from those stores. (Will be looking into the resell sites).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!