Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 914080 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3450 on: January 05, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
A legit MPP: trying to learn about the AMT and tax efficient investing and ending up with a whopping headache from it!
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Aelias

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3451 on: January 05, 2017, 12:46:32 PM »
A coworker tells me a "horror story" of her neighbor who up and quit his job that he was unhappy with.  Now he won't be able to afford his big house and his cars!

And I'm like, "Good for him?"

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #3452 on: January 05, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »
Over contributed to 18k limit, but not over for the age50 6K adder.

net upshot, 114 after tax, without fuss. 

Is there a way to separate the aftertax out when withdrawing? I've got 3K aftertax in the401(k).
no. You either fix it before the annual deadline to fix it or you have to deal with it forever. If it's 1% of your assets as of when it was deposited then assuming you have no further contributions then 1% of all your withdrawals will be taxable. If you maybe further contributions you would have to figure how much your 1% changes each time you contribute. Does it become .99 or .98, etc. If you mix pre and post tax in one account it becomes a royal pain
OMG, remove ASAP by whatever means necessary xD
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #3453 on: January 05, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »

Is there a way to separate the aftertax out when withdrawing? I've got 3K aftertax in the401(k).
no. You either fix it before the annual deadline to fix it or you have to deal with it forever. If it's 1% of your assets as of when it was deposited then assuming you have no further contributions then 1% of all your withdrawals will be taxable. If you maybe further contributions you would have to figure how much your 1% changes each time you contribute. Does it become .99 or .98, etc. If you mix pre and post tax in one account it becomes a royal pain
Ooops, to late now for most of it (~3K after) versus ~600Kpretax,  <does math> 0.5%.     

How would one remove it?   

Many times my income is dominated by random overtime and I'm in a hotel far from home (including overseas), so this kinda likely to happen in the future also.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3454 on: January 06, 2017, 01:40:23 AM »
A coworker tells me a "horror story" of her neighbor who up and quit his job that he was unhappy with.  Now he won't be able to afford his big house and his cars!

And I'm like, "Good for him?"

Lesson learned: first save up some FY money before quitting your job.

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3455 on: January 06, 2017, 01:24:35 PM »
I determined that my employer failed to deduct/contribute the last $50 into my HSA account, so my total for the year ended at $6699 instead of $6750. Do I call them out on it (like I did 3 times previously), or simply eat it and make someone's (and my own) day less stressful? I've opted for the former so far. I know the email chain would end up involving at least 5 people and me explaining to them multiple times the difference between their calendar year how the IRS doesn't follow that calendar.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3456 on: January 06, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »

Ooops, to late now for most of it (~3K after) versus ~600Kpretax,  <does math> 0.5%.     

How would one remove it?   

Many times my income is dominated by random overtime and I'm in a hotel far from home (including overseas), so this kinda likely to happen in the future also.

I'm also in this boat - I accidentally(?) contributed over the 18k limit which then flowed into after tax.

I'm not this far into retirement account strategies, but aren't post tax 401(k) contributions part of the mega backdoor roth strategy that the mad fientist wrote about? http://www.madfientist.com/after-tax-contributions/.

thesvenster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #3457 on: January 06, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
People assuming you're homeless/DUI Convict because you ride a bike.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3458 on: January 07, 2017, 02:04:50 AM »
Reading replies on this forum where it's clear that they haven't read the original post properly. Along the lines of OP: "I need help with this thing and I've tried X and Y." Reply: "You should try X." So hard sometimes to restrain myself from blasting them. The internet doesn't need more pointless noise.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3459 on: January 07, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
With this recent go of bad weather and snow here (Hometown is ill equipped to handle ice and snow, we don't normally get it), DH and I have been avoiding driving. Our neighbor called us yesterday to make sure we weren't out of town, since our cars hadn't been cleared off. He wanted to know if he was supposed to be watching the house.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3460 on: January 07, 2017, 09:47:44 AM »
This year we tested out the $18K limit for the first time, DH's work stopped the contributions exactly at $18K!  That's a relief, now I won't worry about over-contributing on the final paycheck of each year.

If they had not done that we would have ended up with $51.87 in after tax contributions, which would have been very annoying indeed!  I wish we could just set a monthly amount and forget about readjusting each year/pay raise.  Sigh.

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #3461 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »

you can also deal with it when you rollover to IRA accounts by rolling the Roth percentage to a Roth IRA and the non Roth percentage to a traditional IRA. That's the only way I know if to split the money out at some point. This is pretty common for Roth 401k as employer matches are still non-roth and 401k managers do track the percentages for that. They wouldn't likely know about other situations to track them though.

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #3462 on: January 07, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »

you can also deal with it when you rollover to IRA accounts by rolling the Roth percentage to a Roth IRA and the non Roth percentage to a traditional IRA. That's the only way I know if to split the money out at some point. This is pretty common for Roth 401k as employer matches are still non-roth and 401k managers do track the percentages for that. They wouldn't likely know about other situations to track them though.

Realized that I think I misinterpreted what happened to the OP. I was thinking this is an over contribution to a ROTH 401k. I realized the OP is talking about after-tax contributions not being normal so the OP is likely talking about over contributing to a tradition 401k. I've only had to deal with over contributing to a Roth, rules for the traditional are probably different. In any case I imagine the deadline to fix is the same if there is anything worth fixing. For the Roth I had until tax filing day to fix it so you've likely got until April to fix it or deal with whatever the consequences are. None of the tracking nonsense likely applies to a normal account and I suspect the worst thing that's going to happen is you'll get taxed on it again when you withdraw it. For a small amount like $114 that's not going to be a lot of tax even if you get 10x returns so it may not be worth the hassle.

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #3463 on: January 07, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

Realized that I think I misinterpreted what happened to the OP. I was thinking this is an over contribution to a ROTH 401k. I realized the OP is talking about after-tax contributions not being normal so the OP is likely talking about over contributing to a tradition 401k. I've only had to deal with over contributing to a Roth, rules for the traditional are probably different. In any case I imagine the deadline to fix is the same if there is anything worth fixing. For the Roth I had until tax filing day to fix it so you've likely got until April to fix it or deal with whatever the consequences are. None of the tracking nonsense likely applies to a normal account and I suspect the worst thing that's going to happen is you'll get taxed on it again when you withdraw it. For a small amount like $114 that's not going to be a lot of tax even if you get 10x returns so it may not be worth the hassle.
pdxmonkey -- this is a traditional 401(k), and will be taxed at normal income tax rates on withdrawal anyway.   I was wondering why all the panic?

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #3464 on: January 12, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
I determined that my employer failed to deduct/contribute the last $50 into my HSA account, so my total for the year ended at $6699 instead of $6750. Do I call them out on it (like I did 3 times previously), or simply eat it and make someone's (and my own) day less stressful? I've opted for the former so far. I know the email chain would end up involving at least 5 people and me explaining to them multiple times the difference between their calendar year how the IRS doesn't follow that calendar.

Reminds me of my MPP (I guess not really, it seems more like an OCD thing than anything else), Vanguard's total for automatic deductions for last year were $5499.99 for both mine and my wife's tIRA's.  Vanguard rounds it up to get it as close to the amount as possible.  My urge for round numbers literally have me consider doing something about those last 2 cents.

Well, I just let it go; just my 2 cents.....  And no, I am NOT going to calculate what the projected ROI by not investing those 2 cents; I don't want to know anymore!
<|> My Strava <|>

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3465 on: January 12, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
I have $21 in store credit expiring at kmart on Jan 18th. I biked over there last week and picked up a gallon of milk, and figured I'd go back later for one more this week and again next week. That would burn through $9 of it. I don't know yet how to spend the rest; I don't need anything.

Just my weird luck - the couple ahead of me in line turned and handed me their kmart gift card that had $2.50 left on it, and told me to use it up. I tried to talk them into just buying some paper towels or something with it, but failed. Then I looked to give it to someone behind me - but the cashier was going on break and shut off her light - there was nobody else in line.

Logically, it made better sense to use my expiring store credit but I would have looked stupid/ungrateful taking their gift card and pocketing it, and I would have ruined their moment.

In the end, after 16 miles of biking, I was only able to spend 41. :(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:43:33 PM by Jakejake »

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3466 on: January 12, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »
Jakejake, can you buy extra milk? It freezes well.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3467 on: January 12, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
That's a good idea. I'll have to shuffle things around it the freezer a bit, but maybe it's kmart's way of telling me it's time to defrost a turkey. 

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3468 on: January 12, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Jakejake, can you buy extra milk? It freezes well.
or eggs they keep well
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3469 on: January 12, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »
Stock up on things like toilet paper, scotch tape, batteries?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3470 on: January 13, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
Can you transfer the remaining credit to a gift card?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3471 on: January 13, 2017, 09:51:43 AM »
Stock up on things like toilet paper, scotch tape, batteries?

Batteries is a good idea - small and expensive.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3472 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »
MMM  has rewired my brain.
When shingles flew off my roof in this week's storm, I thought, "Hmmm, I get to learn a new skill."
I can't tell you how different this is from pre-MMM!
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3473 on: January 13, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
I went on a fancy pantsy international vacation to Japan intending on (very antimustachianly) buying and eating everything in sight that caught my eye and blowing through a lot of cash.

Turns out, even when I'm not trying, even when I'm actively out to spend, I can think of a lot of reasons not to buy unnecessary frivolous stuff. I brought almost $500 less than I did on my last trip to Japan, but was still left over with nearly $200 USD in yen in the end.  And I'd lose about $20 if I converted it back to USD, so I guess I'll just have to wait until the next time I go (every 2 years) to spend it...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:10:26 PM by Fish Sweet »

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3474 on: January 13, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
Nope, I wish! I can't bring myself to use credit to stock upon toilet paper, because right now they have a deal where if you spend cash on toilet paper you get 100% back in the form of store credit (which is how I ended up in this situation in the first place).

And I stocked up on AA batteries recently when they were 60 batteries for $10 - but I accidentally ordered AAA's at first, so now I have 60 of each kind.

Today, I went over there with the idea that I WOULD NOT FAIL. Gallons of milk, clearanced pie shells for pumpkin pies, a couple $3 fleece blankets to try making a weighted blanket, a $9 pack of underwear, I made sure I was safely above the threshold of what was about to expire.

Then I got home and realized the cashier never charged me for the underwear.

The saga continues.

Uturn

• Bristles
« Reply #3475 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Every Friday I log into Personal Capital and the bank, verify all CC charges and pay any bills that might be due.  Last week it didn't get done due to laziness, and this week I was at a conference and lost track of where we are in the month.  So I log into the bank today and think, why is there so damn much money in checking?  Oh, it's payday.  Check to make sure everything is paid and nothing is coming up, so whole paycheck to Vanguard.  Investing is hard. 
It's not about money, it's about mindset

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3476 on: January 13, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »

Reminds me of my MPP (I guess not really, it seems more like an OCD thing than anything else), Vanguard's total for automatic deductions for last year were $5499.99 for both mine and my wife's tIRA's.  Vanguard rounds it up to get it as close to the amount as possible.  My urge for round numbers literally have me consider doing something about those last 2 cents.

I gave up too   Stupid $1 transfer minimum! Haha. Kind of.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3477 on: January 13, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

I gave up too   Stupid $1 transfer minimum! Haha. Kind of.

I guess this is tangentially related to me having a Fidelity Investments account with 1 penny in it that I can't transfer out.

I transferred all my money out of a taxable account there, and tried to close it. They said I couldn't close it yet because they had to submit some tax form so I had to leave it open until that was finished (I've forgotten the details). Then they paid me a penny in interest at the end of the month for the handful of days after I'd sold all my investments and was waiting for it to transfer out. I can't get the penny out because of their minimum transfer rules. I'm leaving it open just to annoy them at this point.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3478 on: January 13, 2017, 05:50:43 PM »
Nope, I wish! I can't bring myself to use credit to stock upon toilet paper, because right now they have a deal where if you spend cash on toilet paper you get 100% back in the form of store credit (which is how I ended up in this situation in the first place).

And I stocked up on AA batteries recently when they were 60 batteries for $10 - but I accidentally ordered AAA's at first, so now I have 60 of each kind.

Today, I went over there with the idea that I WOULD NOT FAIL. Gallons of milk, clearanced pie shells for pumpkin pies, a couple $3 fleece blankets to try making a weighted blanket, a $9 pack of underwear, I made sure I was safely above the threshold of what was about to expire.

Then I got home and realized the cashier never charged me for the underwear.

The saga continues.

Why don't you buy some things to donate to charity?  Like gloves and a scarf?  Then it's not a "thing" taking up space at your home, but also the money doesn't get waste.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3479 on: January 13, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »
If it was me I would pay for the underwear. Someone at the store will probably get the third degree for their stock not matching.

Lentils4Lunch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3480 on: January 13, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living. For example, friend recently singing the praises of her house cleaner, said "you should make it a goal to one day make enough to be able to afford one yourself". Okay, I lied, it wasn't a friend who said that, it was my MOM, and the best reply I could come up with in the moment was this: "we already can afford to have a house cleaner, we just choose not to spend our money on that." Wish I could have thought of something more clever....

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #3481 on: January 13, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living. For example, friend recently singing the praises of her house cleaner, said "you should make it a goal to one day make enough to be able to afford one yourself". Okay, I lied, it wasn't a friend who said that, it was my MOM, and the best reply I could come up with in the moment was this: "we already can afford to have a house cleaner, we just choose not to spend our money on that." Wish I could hayve thought of something more clever....

That sounds absolutely perfect to me!
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3482 on: January 14, 2017, 12:55:47 AM »
Any phrase that starts 'you should make a goal to ...' is going to end badly. It is like saying 'you should make my priorities  your priorities'.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3483 on: January 14, 2017, 07:22:09 AM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living.
I've had that happen too! When I was biking to work, there was one day I drove because of thunderstorms - I prefer not to get struck by lightening, at least not before my morning coffee. One of my students asked "You have a car?!!"  I suddenly had visions of my well-meaning students starting a gofundme campaign behind my back to buy me a car as a retirement gift. Yikes.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3484 on: January 14, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Biggest thing I struggle with is people feeling sorry for us! Instead of assuming we don't spend money because we prefer to save it, they assume we have spending-averse habits out of necessity, like that we are barely making it on paycheck to paycheck living.
I've had that happen too! When I was biking to work, there was one day I drove because of thunderstorms - I prefer not to get struck by lightening, at least not before my morning coffee. One of my students asked "You have a car?!!"  I suddenly had visions of my well-meaning students starting a gofundme campaign behind my back to buy me a car as a retirement gift. Yikes.

I know what you mean. I always get offered rides home or to other destinations that are less than a half mile. I know it's below freezing outside but its dry and clear. I own a coat, stocking hat, and thick gloves I'll be just fine I promise. I don't think people can fully wrap their heads around the fact that it is a choice. I could afford to drive my 1/2 ton pickup everywhere and start it 20 minutes before I leave so it's nice and warm and I only have to spend about three seconds in the cold but I value my money, the short workout built into my day, and not being a complete wasteful jackass.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

fredbear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3485 on: January 14, 2017, 12:10:17 PM »
I can't get the penny out because of their minimum transfer rules. I'm leaving it open just to annoy them at this point.

A client wrote me a bad check.  Pretty soon, covered it.  A month or two later, I bounced some checks, each costing me $33.  I couldn't believe it; it didn't compute; my records and my account always matched before.  When I went to the credit union, they told me, "Oh, ha, ha.  After that check bounced, we put a 10-day hold on all incoming checks." 

"You never told me you were doing that." 

"We didn't did we?  Oh well, you know it now."

I did, I knew it then.  I left $25 in the account,which was the minimum.  When they asked if I'd like electronic statements, I insisted on mailed.  At least 4 times a year, they had to sent me account information, costing them about 10% of the account value per year just in postage.  And every few years, I removed the accumulated interest (pennies) to bring it back down to $25.  When they told me - by mail - the account would be closed for inactivity, I deposited $10, waited a year, and took it out.   I repeated that many times, each time waiting for them to warn me by mail.  I told my children that they could expect to find either a $25 or $35 credit union account when I died, and told them why.  They thought I was being petty, and I was.  But not petty enough; I was to be even more so.  When that credit union went under, I went in to rescue my $25.28, and told the teller about the situation.  She peered into her screen and said, "Well, yes!  Look at that!  There's a 10-day hold on all incoming checks.   Why, that's more than 20 years ago!"

"Yup.  I know it's not your fault, Miss, and I'm sorry about your job, but if you get to chat with management, please just pass it on from me, fredbear, that I'm glad their credit union has failed.  I guess somehow even those $33 penalties weren't enough to save it."

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3486 on: January 14, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »

I know what you mean. I always get offered rides home or to other destinations that are less than a half mile. I know it's below freezing outside but its dry and clear. I own a coat, stocking hat, and thick gloves I'll be just fine I promise. I don't think people can fully wrap their heads around the fact that it is a choice. I could afford to drive my 1/2 ton pickup everywhere and start it 20 minutes before I leave so it's nice and warm and I only have to spend about three seconds in the cold but I value my money, the short workout built into my day, and not being a complete wasteful jackass.

Reminds me of the time when I was walking to work each day, but suddenly needed my car for a client visit that afternoon.   i asked someone leaving on lunch break if they could drop me off at my home to get my car.  They said "sure but I park far away for free parking so you may be just as well off walking home".....

After they dropped me off (1-2 miles), they agreed that I was right.....

SpareChange

• Stubble
« Reply #3487 on: January 14, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
When I needed to buy a new used car last Sept on short notice, I bought a 10 y/o hatchback and put most of it on my cash back CC...then promptly paid it off before interest accrued. People at work were asking if I had bad credit and couldn't afford a better car or get a loan.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3488 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »

I had a teacher in highschool who hadn't driven anywhere in years, by their choice. Walked everywhere, no problems, 40 below zero with wind and snow, or 110 above. I never imagined it was because they didn't have a car though - different perspectives, I guess.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

ForeignServiceWife

• Stubble
« Reply #3489 on: January 15, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
When you see your toddler's toy on the floor and, without even thinking about what you're saying, tell her "Go pick up Mr. Money Mustache."

Cyrddin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3490 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
When you see your toddler's toy on the floor and, without even thinking about what you're saying, tell her "Go pick up Mr. Money Mustache."

Ha!  This is awesome. =)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3491 on: January 16, 2017, 12:55:23 AM »

I had a teacher in highschool who hadn't driven anywhere in years, by their choice. Walked everywhere, no problems, 40 below zero with wind and snow, or 110 above. I never imagined it was because they didn't have a car though - different perspectives, I guess.

In my previous house my husband and I both walked to the train station every day. That was a 13 minute walk. Once the young neighbour girl asked me: "Why do you always walk?". She obviously could not imagine that people would voluntarily walk. I had to explain about taking the train, probably also a new concept to her, even though she could see it driving past every hour.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #3492 on: January 16, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »

Some people don't realize that people prefer to walk in crisp weather. Personally, that cold is a bit drastic to me.

One morning, I had to be outside in the rain at work for about 15 minutes. I didn't have an umbrella, but when I came back inside I felt so at ease! Being in the rain for that time was actually very pleasant!  (disclaimer: I had a water resistant jacket but can't say that for my pants, shoes and SOCKS! haha)
Just here to feel guilty about my purchases which are often irrational, wants, and in an atypical budget.

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #3493 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
MPP:
      Want to reallocate some stock $ to real estate (mortgage).
Problem, capital gains (on 3X basis) taxes are holding me back.

The amount reallocated wouldn't be much and would pay off mortgage.  It would be less than the latest "runup" amount.

Can't. Pull. Trigger....

On the walking in 0F weather, I did it once, walking the dog we are dog-sitting.   It was fun once, but I was really cold.
--Canadians, northern tier US states residents are allowed to giggle at my wimpyness.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3494 on: January 16, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
I have a hard time getting excited about working overtime any more. We have a bunch coming in this week and everybody is so excited to get that extra $$$. I'm over here like meh.... I guess it's more stocks to by but it's also more time not doing things I want to.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3495 on: January 16, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
I've always felt like 40 hours a week monopolized my Monday through Friday anyways, so if I'm working I might as well work a decent amount.

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3496 on: January 17, 2017, 02:34:26 PM »
Last week I slid on ice and slid into a curb, causing damage to my suspension. At work I explained to a coworker that "At least now I will get to" she finished my sentence with " buy a new car" I said, no I get to learn how to repair my suspension.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3497 on: January 17, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »

On the walking in 0F weather, I did it once, walking the dog we are dog-sitting.   It was fun once, but I was really cold.
--Canadians, northern tier US states residents are allowed to giggle at my wimpyness.

My dogs stop getting walks when it is 0F windchill (usually 15F). But I didn't get DH to drive me to work until the windchill reached -30F. It was only a mile, and I wore ski pants.

GreenSheep

• Bristles
« Reply #3498 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
I was excited about some really good sale prices at the grocery store today until I remembered we have the same things in the garden. Guess there's a reason they're on sale... they're in season.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #3499 on: January 17, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »

My dogs stop getting walks when it is 0F windchill (usually 15F). But I didn't get DH to drive me to work until the windchill reached -30F. It was only a mile, and I wore ski pants.

My record is a mile and a half to work in -35F wind chill.  Felt pretty badass after that!