Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1203137 times)

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4500 on: December 05, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »
Ordinary people that know thrifty folks roll in money tend to forget how the situation came to be in the first place - that we DON'T spend money on bullshit.

"Why do you keep dieting / working out, your body is already great! If I had a body like yours, I'd indulge in junk food and take a break from working out right away!"
- Well, that explains why you don't...

Yes!! If people don't see a big change, like clawing your way out of debt or losing 100 pounds, they assume that you've always been the way you are just by chance/luck/good genes, without any effort on your part. Although I'm very, very happy for anyone who has made a huge positive change in their life, it's frustrating that no one wants to listen to someone like me, who has been plugging away with boring good habits and therefore never had any need for a huge positive change. (That sounds horribly arrogant, and of course I don't mean to imply that I'm perfect. Just that I'm more of a tortoise than a hare, and people seem to like the drama of the hare.)

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4501 on: December 05, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
People keep buying me drinks when I go out with groups (eg. coworker today at pub) and I never ever pay them back because they dive in to buy the first round every time and all I want is a single Diet Coke and I'm good for the whole night, while they get through several beers. They don't seem to mind (obviously I'm a cheap date!), but I find it very awkward. I'd rather just buy my own drinks but insisting would be even more awkward.

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4502 on: December 05, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
We were on a road trip last week, and I accidentally grabbed a medium coffee cup at the convenience store instead of the small coffee cup I wanted. (Seemed like they purposefully placed the smalls and mediums apart from each other so people would make this mistake.) The mistake cost me 20 cents, and I became irrationally angry with myself. In fact, I am still bitter.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4503 on: December 05, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
I had a similar issue last week.  I use the online bill pay to pay for a house cleaner for my mom's house once a month (beats me doing it!) and one of the checks was never cashed so it came back to me.  Now I have an extra $80 in income in November, and an extra $80 in spending in December in my budget program because of course I sent the cleaner a replacement check for the one that was cancelled.
In YNAB I would just budget the extra “income” as a negative expense and let the money roll over to next month where it is spent again. This way all income and spending statistics are correct.
Doh!  Thank you, I changed this and it's all better now!  I use YNAB, never thought of doing that before, but it works!

Hirondelle

• Stubble
« Reply #4504 on: December 06, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
People keep buying me drinks when I go out with groups (eg. coworker today at pub) and I never ever pay them back because they dive in to buy the first round every time and all I want is a single Diet Coke and I'm good for the whole night, while they get through several beers. They don't seem to mind (obviously I'm a cheap date!), but I find it very awkward. I'd rather just buy my own drinks but insisting would be even more awkward.

Familiar one. I'm not unwilling to pay someone a drink, but they just always seem to want them sooner/more frequently than  me.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4505 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »

Familiar one. I'm not unwilling to pay someone a drink, but they just always seem to want them sooner/more frequently than  me.

Yes, this sounds familiar. Some people are always paying the first round, often for a pretty big group. For me, the number of rounds should not equal the number of people. So I am reluctant paying a round for the whole group (in Norway alcoholic drinks are really expensive). I would much rather pay for my own stuff and leave it there. But declining a round from someone is also impolite.

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #4506 on: December 14, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »

Yes, this sounds familiar. Some people are always paying the first round, often for a pretty big group. For me, the number of rounds should not equal the number of people. So I am reluctant paying a round for the whole group (in Norway alcoholic drinks are really expensive). I would much rather pay for my own stuff and leave it there. But declining a round from someone is also impolite.

This is me too! With close friends, I'm just the weirdo who never wants a drink. They don't mind anymore. We don't go out in large groups, so the cost is not a problem, it's just that I don't drink and once I've finished a soft drink I don't need another one for at least the next hour. I could accept the drinks and just hold them in my hand for a long time but that's really annoying.

ixtap

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4507 on: December 14, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »

This is me too! With close friends, I'm just the weirdo who never wants a drink. They don't mind anymore. We don't go out in large groups, so the cost is not a problem, it's just that I don't drink and once I've finished a soft drink I don't need another one for at least the next hour. I could accept the drinks and just hold them in my hand for a long time but that's really annoying.

I did that in college. Played drinking games with a can of beer. Everyone else was too drunk to notice that it was the same can of beer all night, and I knew never to hang out with that group again.

A colleague and a client just finished a rant about people who don't drink, and how sad it is to toast with a soft drink.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4508 on: December 14, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
A colleague and a client just finished a rant about people who don't drink, and how sad it is to toast with a soft drink.

I wonder what they would think about all the times I've toasted with a glass of tap water. :-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4509 on: December 14, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »

I wonder what they would think about all the times I've toasted with a glass of tap water. :-)

Someone insisted on handing me a glass of champagne to toast at my own wedding. I drink, but not champagne - they wouldn't "let me" toast with whatever I had in my hand. I was young. If it happened now I'd tell them to piss off (actually don't remember who it was but I'm betting it was one of my in-laws).

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4510 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:10 PM »
Someone insisted on handing me a glass of champagne to toast at my own wedding. I drink, but not champagne - they wouldn't "let me" toast with whatever I had in my hand. I was young. If it happened now I'd tell them to piss off (actually don't remember who it was but I'm betting it was one of my in-laws).

Ginger ale in a champagne flute is a pretty good fake if you're ever in a weird situation like that. I did that for my then-boyfriend at the millennium since we were at a big ol' fancy party with an open bar, and everyone was doing a big toast, and he was a little bummed he couldn't share in the moment. So I downed a glass of champagne (the sacrifices we make...) and poured some of his ginger ale in the empty flute, and no one could tell the difference but him :-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Hirondelle

• Stubble
« Reply #4511 on: December 15, 2017, 12:05:07 AM »

Haha, I feel you. I've even had friends blaming me for drinking tap water over soft drinks because it's 'boring'. I didn't understand how I would get more fun with sugared, colored and fizzly water compared to just plain water.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4512 on: December 15, 2017, 01:16:55 AM »

Haha, I feel you. I've even had friends blaming me for drinking tap water over soft drinks because it's 'boring'. I didn't understand how I would get more fun with sugared, colored and fizzly water compared to just plain water.
The fun comes from the frenzy action your body jumps in to not get poisened by all that stuff. That makes you high.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4513 on: December 15, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »

The fun comes from the frenzy action your body jumps in to not get poisened by all that stuff. That makes you high.

I like a soft drink rather than tap water when I go out. We don't keep them in the house, so it is a rare treat. But I don't understand why other people CARE so much. I'll drink my drink and you drink yours. I don't make a fuss about you drinking half a bottle of wine, why are you making a fuss about ne drinking a Diet Coke?

ETA: it's come up a lot lately because I'm pregnant. My actual friends a) have got used to me by now and b) are friends and not jerks. But when I meet someone new and they notice I'm not drinking they often go off on one about how HARD it must be to not drink while pregnant but not to worry, I'll be toasting the new baby soon! So I just casually say "Oh not really, I don't usually drink at all". Cue anger and confusion. And intense CARING about my taste preferences.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:55:26 AM by shelivesthedream »

neverrun

• Bristles
« Reply #4514 on: December 15, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
1.  Looks at HSA, realizes is short by about $200 to maxing it out.
2.  Schedules payment
3.  Looks again, realizes that the December pass though has not transacted from employer.
4.  Has to go modify maxing out transaction so as not to be $62.50 over.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4515 on: December 15, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
We were on a road trip last week, and I accidentally grabbed a medium coffee cup at the convenience store instead of the small coffee cup I wanted. (Seemed like they purposefully placed the smalls and mediums apart from each other so people would make this mistake.) The mistake cost me 20 cents, and I became irrationally angry with myself. In fact, I am still bitter.
Bitter like the coffee? Hope you're over the pain now.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4516 on: December 16, 2017, 06:33:18 AM »
Yesterday we went to a concert. It is winter here so we had to wear warm winter jackets outside. The wardrobe in the concert hall wanted 5 dollars for each coat. So DH and I kept our coats with us, as did a grwat number of people. It was quite uncomfortable having to use a hand around my winter jacket for hours. Giving applause for the very nice concert was difficult.

Sun Hat

• Stubble
« Reply #4517 on: December 17, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »
Linda, have you tried draping your coat on your seat and then sitting on it? If you have a very long coat, you might have to fold the bottom up on to the seat so that the hem doesn't get dirty from the floor, but I find that sitting on coats to be less warm than holding them in laps. If you have a very short person in your group, you can also make a booster-seat bundle with them (I do this with my miniscule grandmother).

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4518 on: Today at 02:31:33 AM »
Linda, have you tried draping your coat on your seat and then sitting on it? If you have a very long coat, you might have to fold the bottom up on to the seat so that the hem doesn't get dirty from the floor, but I find that sitting on coats to be less warm than holding them in laps. If you have a very short person in your group, you can also make a booster-seat bundle with them (I do this with my miniscule grandmother).

There were no seats. And my coat would not stay folded around my hips either. It is too slippery.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
« Reply #4519 on: Today at 02:49:47 AM »
The only time I go to a pro sports game is when i get free tickets and my friends laugh (they never know about the tickets) but deep down inside i know at the end of the night when they realize how much they have spent on bear, tickets, parking and snacks I am the guy they love to be mad at.  I am willing to walk a mile to save 25$ on parking and stop at the dollar store for me and my kids to pick up some items to snack on as they just keep opening there wallets up. 
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"