Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 3136212 times)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6550 on: August 05, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »
LO:  Do you own your own home?
Me:  No, not yet…..3 more years.
LO:  Umm…what?
Me:  I have a home, with a mortgage on it, for three more years.  Then I will own it.

I overthunk it, like a mustachian.  I think it would be easier if she had asked  “Do you rent….or own your own home?”.

Maybe it is a unique mustachian problem. Whenever someone asks me if I own my home, I say, "No, the bank owns it, but I do have a mortgage."

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6551 on: August 05, 2019, 01:51:13 PM »
Well, technically you do own the home... There's just a lien against it...

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6552 on: August 05, 2019, 01:58:07 PM »
LO:  Ok….noted.  next question…..do you spend more or less than you make every month?
Me:  Umm….<laughing>….I spend less money than I make.  If I spent more, that really wouldn’t last that long, would it.  Like if I make $4k a month, but I spend $6k…how long do you thinking one could sustain that??
LO:  <blank stare>

This is epic! So obvious yet so hard to convey...

Wait, this is a trick question, no?  But given the general financial idiocy common these days I guess not.

The analogous question on a psychological test (MMPI anyone?) is:
Yes or No, "I see things other people don't see".
(hint, a Yes answer brings the butterfly net closer)       A colleague answered "Yes", but he is a good artist and hunter.

What is sad is that a "Yes I live beyond my means" probably gets loan officers excited about the "fresh meat".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6553 on: August 05, 2019, 01:58:21 PM »

Seriously it’s like a common gag that the bank owns the home, but there’s no technical way it’s true so a mustachian should NEVER JOKE ABOUT SERIOUS TECHNICAL MONEY MATTERS!

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6554 on: August 05, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »

Seriously it’s like a common gag that the bank owns the home, but there’s no technical way it’s true so a mustachian should NEVER JOKE ABOUT SERIOUS TECHNICAL MONEY MATTERS!

You kid, but I agree. The "don't really own it if you have a mortgage" reasoning made perfect sense in the era in 10+% interest rates. But at 3.5%?! Where investing in the stock market is virtually guaranteed to do better over 30 years?! I do own my home, and it's not just a technicality. I'm choosing to use my money more productively than increasing equity in an non-liquid non-diversified low-interest rate asset.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6555 on: August 05, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »

You kid, but I agree. The "don't really own it if you have a mortgage" reasoning made perfect sense in the era in 10+% interest rates. But at 3.5%?! Where investing in the stock market is virtually guaranteed to do better over 30 years?! I do own my home, and it's not just a technicality. I'm choosing to use my money more productively than increasing equity in an non-liquid non-diversified low-interest rate asset.

I never kid

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6556 on: August 06, 2019, 04:06:47 AM »
I overthunk it, like a mustachian.  I think it would be easier if she had asked  “Do you rent….or own your own home?”.

It would be really funny if you had a rental and she asked the above. Then, you'd simply answer Yes. Because you both own a home and rent one (to someone else).

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6557 on: August 06, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »

I was going to say the same thing, because that is a pet peeve of mine.  I suppose sometimes people prefer to think of it as if they do not own the home because the bank has the right to foreclose on them if they miss payments.  But the government could foreclose if they don't make their tax payments, too, even if they have no mortgage on the home.  Yet in both instances, they do legally own the home.  At least usually.

In the book The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, the family really did not own the home until the final payment would be made.  That was an old-fashioned method of predatory banking.  The "owners" were leasing it from the bank, who maintained ownership until the final payment, at which time they would transfer ownership.  Of course, the bank almost always managed to get the house back before the final payment and then "sold" it to some other unsuspecting mark.  It was one of the predatory practices Sinclair highlighted in the book.

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6558 on: August 07, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
It would be really funny if you had a rental and she asked the above. Then, you'd simply answer Yes. Because you both own a home and rent one (to someone else).

I think I'll start doing this...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6559 on: August 09, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
I finally have an MPP to contribute!

Last weekend, Mr. Kris, who is balding/bald, decided to just shave his head completely for the first time (well, not shave exactly, but remove the length attachment on his trimmers and just buzz it all off). He liked the result and has decided this is his new "haircut" going forward. So, he will no longer be needing to use shampoo.

I don't use shampoo on my hair (I use a cheap sulfate-free conditioner instead to conditioner-wash it). So now, we have a half-bottle of shampoo, plus four or five partially used tiny hotel shampoos from traveling that he was slowly going through prior to buzzing his hair off. I don't want to waste them, or throw them away, but basically there's no need for them anymore! :D

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6560 on: August 09, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »

Last weekend, Mr. Kris, who is balding/bald, decided to just shave his head completely for the first time (well, not shave exactly, but remove the length attachment on his trimmers and just buzz it all off). He liked the result and has decided this is his new "haircut" going forward. So, he will no longer be needing to use shampoo.

I don't use shampoo on my hair (I use a cheap sulfate-free conditioner instead to conditioner-wash it). So now, we have a half-bottle of shampoo, plus four or five partially used tiny hotel shampoos from traveling that he was slowly going through prior to buzzing his hair off. I don't want to waste them, or throw them away, but basically there's no need for them anymore! :D

Use it as body wash?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6561 on: August 09, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »

Use it as body wash?

Ha! I thought of that right after I posted. The awesome thing is, I have a bottle of hand soap for the bathroom that my husband hates the smell of, so I put it in the shower to use as body wash. I'll just add the shampoos to that bottle. Thanks for the idea!

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6562 on: August 09, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
Cornflakes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

I could never eat another Kelloggs cereal after reading up on the man.

As well as being somewhat of an anti-vaxxer, he also had some horrific views about sex and the evils of self-pleasure. I won't copy and paste it here (honestly it's too outrageous) but you can read up on the section titled "views on sexuality".

There is a train of thought that his puritanical views went so far as to design the corn flake to be so bland that it would depress the nervous system, and thus ensure teenagers would never be sexually aroused....

There was a comedy movie about the man too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_to_Wellville_(film)

I watched it pre-internet and lacked the details to fill in the story gaps. Years later I read up on the man and was surprised to see what an eccentric person he was. Funny how much gets left out of the mainstream public school version of American history.

Seems like all the early breakfast cereal people  were kind of weirdos. Not going to stop me from eating my cheerios or grape nuts. It reminds me of some Buddhist monks sects, in addition to no alcohol or meat, will not eat things like garlic, onion (onions, garlic, chives, green onions and leeks) because considered too "stimulating" or arousing. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:02:46 AM by partgypsy »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6563 on: August 09, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »
Seems like all the early breakfast cereal people  were kind of weirdos.

I think they had to be, to withstand public opinion when they advocated eating  little bits of dry crunchy stuff for breakfast instead of real food like eggs, bacon, porridge, pie, etc.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6564 on: August 09, 2019, 02:26:48 PM »

Use it as body wash?

Ha! I thought of that right after I posted. The awesome thing is, I have a bottle of hand soap for the bathroom that my husband hates the smell of, so I put it in the shower to use as body wash. I'll just add the shampoos to that bottle. Thanks for the idea!

Another idea is to donate them.  Some shelters or medical mission charities will take hotel shampoos.  I have gone on medical missions where we packed "hygiene bags" with mini shampoos, soaps, toothbrushes, and toothpaste.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6565 on: August 09, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »

Use it as body wash?

Another idea is to donate them.  Some shelters or medical mission charities will take hotel shampoos.  I have gone on medical missions where we packed "hygiene bags" with mini shampoos, soaps, toothbrushes, and toothpaste.

Yeah, I would do that except they are all open.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6566 on: August 09, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »

Use it as body wash?

Yeah, I would do that except they are all open.

Ah, in that case, you seem to have found a great use for them!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6567 on: August 09, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
I track expense history on a copy of the Madfientist Excel workbook going back four years. It's how I keep track of my progress and look at how much I'll need in retirement.  I'm in South Korea for the next two years.  Internet is built into the rent, I'll use almost no gasoline, car insurance is 20% of what I would spend in the US, grocery prices are all over the place, and electricity prices are double what I spent in Arizona.  Incorporating these expenses into my spreadsheets will skew the data! Leaving them out will skew the data!  It might be possible to continue using the net worth tabs and leaving the expense tabs as-is, but it just feels wrong.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6568 on: August 09, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »
I track expense history on a copy of the Madfientist Excel workbook going back four years. It's how I keep track of my progress and look at how much I'll need in retirement.  I'm in South Korea for the next two years.  Internet is built into the rent, I'll use almost no gasoline, car insurance is 20% of what I would spend in the US, grocery prices are all over the place, and electricity prices are double what I spent in Arizona.  Incorporating these expenses into my spreadsheets will skew the data! Leaving them out will skew the data!  It might be possible to continue using the net worth tabs and leaving the expense tabs as-is, but it just feels wrong.

I would modify the workbook to have two calculation fields for relevant calculations, one for korean and one for US expenses.  If the expense would be the same include the same year's data into the formula. 

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6569 on: August 13, 2019, 04:21:26 PM »
I was so excited about maxing out my TSP, HSA,and IRA for the first time ever next year.  Now that it looks like the contribution limit for the TSP is going to go up next year, I don't think I'm quite going to make it, especially if Congress passes a continuing resolution rather than a real budget.  I'm bummed, but my real MMP is that no one IRL understands either feeling.

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6570 on: August 18, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
New MPP:

Credit score is so close to perfect it's temping to try to get the last few points... But I know that would just be a waste of time and effort. It's not like they'd sent me a prize or I'd get a lower interest rate.

I suppose it might be an advantage when I call BS on someone trying to claim "you need to carry a balance on you credit cards to built your score".

Steeze

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6571 on: August 18, 2019, 10:37:07 AM »
MPP: at work on a Sunday working  some (required) overtime, but I don’t need the extra cash and would rather sleep-in, do laundry, and go to the gym. I used to love working overtime until I had FU money. Looking forward to FI money so I can just say “No” and not care about the consequences.

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6572 on: August 18, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
We typically eat oatmeal for breakfast. It’s cheap and filling and delicious. Well, we just moved into a fancy serviced apartment, and in the  “welcome to the neighborhood” gift basket was a box of cornflakes. Cornflakes are very expensive here, as are most “American” foods.

The following conversation ensued when I tried to serve 5-year-old DD a bowl of Kellogg’s cornflakes with milk and sliced bananas (the quintessential North American breakfast).

DD: What are those? Are they chips?
Me: No, they’re cornflakes.
DD: Do I like them?
Me: I don’t know. You liked Cheerios when you were a baby. We used to eat Cheerios and milk and bananas at grandma’s house in Canada.
DD: (tries a spoonful) Yuck! They don’t taste ANY good!
Me: Shall I take them out of your bowl?
DD: Yes, next time, don’t put any chips. I just want bananas and milk.

MY MPP is that DD doesn’t recognize any major cereal brands and doesn’t know how to eat *normal* breakfasts. She’ll be the weirdo eating a bowl of sliced bananas swimming in milk when she’s attending sleepover summer camps.

How is the cost of peanut butter there? I detest wasting food, and would probably turn the cornflakes into peanut butter cornflake cookies (peanut butter, sugar, sugar, liquid sugar, vanilla, cornflakes. Don’t remember the ratios right now). Not at all good for you but an excellent use for cornflakes.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6573 on: August 18, 2019, 04:05:00 PM »
We typically eat oatmeal for breakfast. It’s cheap and filling and delicious. Well, we just moved into a fancy serviced apartment, and in the  “welcome to the neighborhood” gift basket was a box of cornflakes. Cornflakes are very expensive here, as are most “American” foods.

The following conversation ensued when I tried to serve 5-year-old DD a bowl of Kellogg’s cornflakes with milk and sliced bananas (the quintessential North American breakfast).

Me: I don’t know. You liked Cheerios when you were a baby. We used to eat Cheerios and milk and bananas at grandma’s house in Canada.

MY MPP is that DD doesn’t recognize any major cereal brands and doesn’t know how to eat *normal* breakfasts. She’ll be the weirdo eating a bowl of sliced bananas swimming in milk when she’s attending sleepover summer camps.

How is the cost of peanut butter there? I detest wasting food, and would probably turn the cornflakes into peanut butter cornflake cookies (peanut butter, sugar, sugar, liquid sugar, vanilla, cornflakes. Don’t remember the ratios right now). Not at all good for you but an excellent use for cornflakes.

You could also crush the corn flakes and use them to coat chicken or fish before baking or pan frying. Haven't tried this myself but I've seen it in recipes.

This made me realize that I haven't bought standard breakfast cereal in exactly a year, or since the last time that my young and picky niece and nephew visited. We'd rather eat eggs and toast or a bowl of oatmeal.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6574 on: August 18, 2019, 04:56:55 PM »

Also very expensive. About $4 for a small jar (approx. 1 cup) of peanut butter. We make our our own peanut butter which is healthier and cheaper, but homemade peanut butter tends to be more liquid.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6575 on: August 18, 2019, 11:24:49 PM »
New MPP:

Credit score is so close to perfect it's temping to try to get the last few points... But I know that would just be a waste of time and effort. It's not like they'd sent me a prize or I'd get a lower interest rate.

I suppose it might be an advantage when I call BS on someone trying to claim "you need to carry a balance on you credit cards to built your score".

I recently got a new credit check and it said I had debt. That was of course a credit card amount that needed to be paid the next month. But it drew my credit score down from higest last time to 85% this time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:10:36 AM by Linea_Norway »

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6576 on: August 19, 2019, 03:59:02 AM »
I have a new MPP.

Background: In the past, I was paid on the 15th of each month, while DH was paid at the end of each month. This meant that every two weeks, I had the pleasure of updating our net worth spreadsheet and watching our net worth grow.

I recently switched jobs and now also get paid at the end of the month at the same time as DH. This means that I only need to update our net worth spreadsheet and see significant gains once a month. Boooooo!

Today, I wanted to update and realized it’s only the 19th. I still have 12 days to go! Do you know how painful it is to wait a whole month to update our net worth?! (Especially when I’m used to getting my net worth fix every two weeks)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6577 on: August 19, 2019, 06:34:49 AM »
I have a new MPP.

Background: In the past, I was paid on the 15th of each month, while DH was paid at the end of each month. This meant that every two weeks, I had the pleasure of updating our net worth spreadsheet and watching our net worth grow.

I recently switched jobs and now also get paid at the end of the month at the same time as DH. This means that I only need to update our net worth spreadsheet and see significant gains once a month. Boooooo!

Today, I wanted to update and realized it’s only the 19th. I still have 12 days to go! Do you know how painful it is to wait a whole month to update our net worth?! (Especially when I’m used to getting my net worth fix every two weeks)

You could always ask your employer to pay you the 15th as opposed to the end of the month?

At my current employer we were also paid around the 15th when I started here but they moved the paydate to the 25th so as to get more interest from the money in the bank which was then used to justify the raising of mobility reimbursment from 18 cent per kilometer to 19 cent per kilometer.
The funny thing is, most of my colleagues forgot the why and are moaning that they want their money earlier. Even the CEO changed since then and he wasn't aware but thought the reimbursment for business travel should be lowered regardless as it was damn expensive...

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6578 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:23 AM »
I have a new MPP.

You could always ask your employer to pay you the 15th as opposed to the end of the month?

At my current employer we were also paid around the 15th when I started here but they moved the paydate to the 25th so as to get more interest from the money in the bank which was then used to justify the raising of mobility reimbursment from 18 cent per kilometer to 19 cent per kilometer.
The funny thing is, most of my colleagues forgot the why and are moaning that they want their money earlier. Even the CEO changed since then and he wasn't aware but thought the reimbursment for business travel should be lowered regardless as it was damn expensive...

Nope. This is China. They pay you when they pay you. What is this freedom to ask to be paid on a different date that you speak of? I can’t even choose which bank I want to use — my employer tells me which bank they bank with, and I have to go open an account at that bank if I want to receive my salary. I’m lucky I don’t have to go to the same bank branch they use.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #6579 on: August 19, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »
New MPP:

It's also helpful if a business is offering a really low loan rate to "well qualified buyers".  If they still come back with a higher than advertised rate, you can call BS.

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6580 on: August 19, 2019, 12:26:05 PM »
New MPP:

It's also helpful if a business is offering a really low loan rate to "well qualified buyers".  If they still come back with a higher than advertised rate, you can call BS.

That's a good point... Now I just need to buy another house so I have a reason to borrow money.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6581 on: August 19, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
New MPP:

That's a good point... Now I just need to buy another house so I have a reason to borrow money.

Well, if you're going to do it, might as well make money at it:   https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6582 on: August 19, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »
New MPP:

Well, if you're going to do it, might as well make money at it:   https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/

That just leads to more MPPs... like finding things to do with all the free time... All joking aside I do have a rental house with a 3% mortgage thanks in part to that credit score... I'm a little hesitant to buy a third house in this area right now, but I might if I find the right opportunity.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #6583 on: August 19, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
Not particularly proud of this one but I guess I got a little overzealous while balancing some investments.

I was going through all of my accounts (RRSP, Taxable, TFSA's) and updating my spreadsheet to ensure I still had the correct asset allocation. While doing this I had one ETF in particular that had performed quite poorly. I got excited as I saw an opportunity for some tax loss harvesting, so I sold the VIU etf and immediately bought XEF.

I'm sitting here proud of myself that I can now offset a few $1,000's against future captial gains until I realized...... It was all in my TFSA. So now i've paid $10/trade to both sell then buy ETF's all for a gain of, nothing.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6584 on: August 19, 2019, 02:23:48 PM »
Not particularly proud of this one but I guess I got a little overzealous while balancing some investments.

I was going through all of my accounts (RRSP, Taxable, TFSA's) and updating my spreadsheet to ensure I still had the correct asset allocation. While doing this I had one ETF in particular that had performed quite poorly. I got excited as I saw an opportunity for some tax loss harvesting, so I sold the VIU etf and immediately bought XEF.

I'm sitting here proud of myself that I can now offset a few $1,000's against future captial gains until I realized...... It was all in my TFSA. So now i've paid $10/trade to both sell then buy ETF's all for a gain of, nothing.
did you have contribution room in your TFSA to make the purchase?   Remember, the contribution room from the sale doesn't get added back in until Jan 1 of next year.  (assuming you make out our TFSA contribution every year - you could end up in some trouble with the CRA)

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #6585 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »

did you have contribution room in your TFSA to make the purchase?   Remember, the contribution room from the sale doesn't get added back in until Jan 1 of next year.  (assuming you make out our TFSA contribution every year - you could end up in some trouble with the CRA)

The ETF was sold and just changed to cash held in the account, nothing was actually removed from the account. That cash was then used to buy the other ETF. As far as I was aware that was acceptable as no money was ever removed. Although if i'm wrong then I def have a bigger MPP!

PhilB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6586 on: August 20, 2019, 01:00:01 AM »
I have an unforeseen MPP.  This is our first summer post FIRE and we are travelling round France and Spain with the kids for the whole of the school holidays.  When we tell anyone the length of our holiday they automatically assume we are schoolteachers.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6587 on: August 20, 2019, 01:10:54 AM »
I have an unforeseen MPP.  This is our first summer post FIRE and we are travelling round France and Spain with the kids for the whole of the school holidays.  When we tell anyone the length of our holiday they automatically assume we are schoolteachers.
Being mistaken for schoolteachers is an excellent MPP. I'll bet it happens to the @arebelspy family too.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6588 on: August 20, 2019, 03:16:07 AM »
Just broke my scissors cutting open shampoo bottles to get the last bit out...... Now I'll have to go through the random screw/bolt/nut collection in the garage to find something with which to fix the scissors.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6589 on: August 20, 2019, 09:12:48 AM »
Today's problem is that I have a $100 Walmart gift card that I got for my birthday...back in February.  The only thing I buy at Walmart is groceries.  So, I'll just use the gift card to pay for groceries and use my grocery money to buy something I really want.  I just discovered that Walmart doesn't accept their own gift cards for grocery pickup.  That sucks.  I don't wanna actually go grocery shopping.  And I don't wanna just buy something for the sake of using the card.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6590 on: August 20, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »
Today's problem is that I have a $100 Walmart gift card that I got for my birthday...back in February.  The only thing I buy at Walmart is groceries.  So, I'll just use the gift card to pay for groceries and use my grocery money to buy something I really want.  I just discovered that Walmart doesn't accept their own gift cards for grocery pickup.  That sucks.  I don't wanna actually go grocery shopping.  And I don't wanna just buy something for the sake of using the card.

That stinks.  Can you re-gift it to someone else (in another circle of friends/family)?  That's what I would try to do (and have done with gift cards to places I don't go).  I got a gift card to Red Lobster once from a client, and I'm allergic to shellfish.  So I gave it to someone as a "thank you for letting us stay at your place one night on a road trip" gift.  They were thrilled, as they love Red Lobster.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6591 on: August 21, 2019, 07:14:27 AM »
Just broke my scissors cutting open shampoo bottles to get the last bit out...... Now I'll have to go through the random screw/bolt/nut collection in the garage to find something with which to fix the scissors.

Why not just rinse the shampoo out?  When I get down where I can't get anymore out I just put a little water in it and then use that thinned out shampoo for the next week or so until it's completely empty.

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #6592 on: August 21, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
Local bank is offering $400 signup bonus for checking account.  Must deposit $500, and have $500 worth of ‘action” per month to avoid $7 monthly fee.  $400 deposit is immediate, must keep account open for 6 months.

I go in to sign up, loan officer (LO) and I have two weird moments:

Me:  I have a home, with a mortgage on it, for three more years.  Then I will own it.

Then:
LO:  Do you have credit cards?
Me:.  Yes.
LO:  What is the interest rate?
Me:  I am not sure.  I don’t pay interest, I pay them off in full every month.
LO:  Ok….noted.  next question…..do you spend more or less than you make every month?
Me:  Umm….<laughing>….I spend less money than I make.  If I spent more, that really wouldn’t last that long, would it.  Like if I make $4k a month, but I spend $6k…how long do you thinking one could sustain that??

This is super funny, trying hard not to burst out laughing at work right now.

I swear sometimes I feel like everyone else lives on a different planet.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6593 on: August 21, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »
Local bank is offering $400 signup bonus for checking account.  Must deposit $500, and have $500 worth of ‘action” per month to avoid $7 monthly fee.  $400 deposit is immediate, must keep account open for 6 months.

Then:

This is super funny, trying hard not to burst out laughing at work right now.

I swear sometimes I feel like everyone else lives on a different planet.

Eh I spend less than I make... thinking it can last at least 30 years.... Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6594 on: August 21, 2019, 12:33:40 PM »

Then:

@fat-johnny, speaking of overthinking when talking to loan officers, thought you would find this funny:

Just got off the phone with the banker about a home loan for the house we're looking at.  We needed a pre-approval letter to shore up the offer.

I had a funny moment talking to him.   He asked me how many houses we owned.

“Well, legally, we own four.”

<squawk!!!> “Legally!!??  What do you mean?”

I had to explain that I mean we own 4 homes in our name, and a fifth in my mom’s name is in an interim status, as it’s still in her name but she owned it free and clear and it’s been willed to me.

That certainly perked him right up out of his routine!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6595 on: August 21, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »

Why not just rinse the shampoo out?  When I get down where I can't get anymore out I just put a little water in it and then use that thinned out shampoo for the next week or so until it's completely empty.

They're the bottles that are actually basically tubes with a rigid cap to stand on. You can't get the lid off and the hole is small. They're not hard to cut.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6596 on: August 24, 2019, 05:59:34 AM »

They're the bottles that are actually basically tubes with a rigid cap to stand on. You can't get the lid off and the hole is small. They're not hard to cut.
Use suction to get water into the tube. Squeeze the air out, then stick the end of the tube into water and gently compress the sides of the tube. Boom, no cutting required.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6597 on: August 24, 2019, 11:58:19 PM »

Use suction to get water into the tube. Squeeze the air out, then stick the end of the tube into water and gently compress the sides of the tube. Boom, no cutting required.

D'oh! That's sensible, logical and solves the problem. How did I get to be this level of moron at my advanced age???

Mighty Eyebrows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6598 on: August 25, 2019, 02:46:21 AM »
This thread cracks me up. Thanks to all of you for being awesome :-)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6599 on: August 25, 2019, 05:27:12 AM »
Our fridge and freezer (both decades old) are dying and we want to replace them for a certain fridge/freezer combo that we picked out a while back. Normally we get everything used but in this case we believe new and extremely energy efficient is the best choice. We just came across that particular fridge that we wanted and it's €100 cheaper because there's minor damage to the side from transport. But we did some work on the house recently, I have to pay tuition for grad school last week and I took one extra week of unpaid leave this summer - so in short our EF is depleted and we can't take advantage of this great deal.

We are keeping an eye on black Friday/Christmas sales now so we can hopefully get a similar deal then.