Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086705 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7250 on: March 02, 2020, 02:15:07 AM »
I have no idea what the "normal" period for replacing car tires is. After latest service the mechanic let me know I should get new ones. I found the old receipt - I've had these on for 7 years. Still got around fine this winter. Biking and walking really cut down on car use :)

You should replace them at the next convenient time.  Car tires do not last indefinitely even if they have tread.  The material degrades and 7 years is a good time to start thinking about replacements IMO.  I have this issue too on my low mileage car, but I don’t want to cheap out on a safety item

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7251 on: March 02, 2020, 04:11:56 AM »
I have no idea what the "normal" period for replacing car tires is. After latest service the mechanic let me know I should get new ones. I found the old receipt - I've had these on for 7 years. Still got around fine this winter. Biking and walking really cut down on car use :)
7 years is a normal time for tyres to reach their EOL. The gum simply degrades over time and developes cracks. At my last set the mechanic even laughed that the profile looked like the tyres where new (20K km), but I still should get new ones the next season.

I certainly am not going to risk my life for the 10€ I save with waiting another year or wait until one breaks when I drive on the Highway. Tyres and brakes are the most important items on a car.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7252 on: March 02, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
Just moved into a new house with a dishwasher. Hooray! But we only have a set of four plates and four bowls and a handful of glasses. Not enough to fill up the dishwasher.
I just read somewhere that supposedly the DW is more efficient than hand washing for anything more than eight items.  I call BS. However, with twins on the way, you will have use for that dishwasher soon enough. In the meantime, it makes an excellent drying rack.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7253 on: March 02, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
Just moved into a new house with a dishwasher. Hooray! But we only have a set of four plates and four bowls and a handful of glasses. Not enough to fill up the dishwasher.
I just read somewhere that supposedly the DW is more efficient than hand washing for anything more than eight items.  I call BS. However, with twins on the way, you will have use for that dishwasher soon enough. In the meantime, it makes an excellent drying rack.

I ready that first as Dear Wife (DW).  I am sure that there is documentation somewhere that women are more efficient at hand washing, it seemed like an odd statement :).

MMP
I had a fund spit out too much money (boo hoo right).  So today was tax day where I got to stick the money in an IRA as to avoid paying back premium tax credits and lowering income tax.  But now that I am retired, so that was the last year that trick was going to work. 

My problems abound.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7254 on: March 02, 2020, 11:59:15 AM »

My guess is that a lot of this has to do with how a person washes their dishes, as well as age of the dishwasher. Sink full of hot soapy water, turning on water for each rinse is quite efficient. Running the water as you wash -like I've seen people do-, not so much. Modern dishwashers use like five gallons of water, while ones 25 years old use 10+ gallons. I've not measured my "hand-wash" usage. Modern dishwashers also don't require you to pre-rinse your dishes, although many people still do.

If I were to hand wash a full dishwasher's worth of kitchenware, I'd more than likely use more than 5 gallons. But I've also used less than half a gallon washing 8 plates/bowls when camping...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7255 on: March 02, 2020, 05:22:10 PM »

My guess is that a lot of this has to do with how a person washes their dishes, as well as age of the dishwasher. Sink full of hot soapy water, turning on water for each rinse is quite efficient. Running the water as you wash -like I've seen people do-, not so much. Modern dishwashers use like five gallons of water, while ones 25 years old use 10+ gallons. I've not measured my "hand-wash" usage. Modern dishwashers also don't require you to pre-rinse your dishes, although many people still do.

If I were to hand wash a full dishwasher's worth of kitchenware, I'd more than likely use more than 5 gallons. But I've also used less than half a gallon washing 8 plates/bowls when camping...
I totally agree with you. When I heard the stat I was very curious what method they used to come to that conclusion. And, yes, camping is a great example.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7256 on: March 02, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
My wife left her credit card at a restaurant and we didn’t realize for two weeks because we didn’t spend any money.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7257 on: March 02, 2020, 09:06:43 PM »

I totally agree with you. When I heard the stat I was very curious what method they used to come to that conclusion. And, yes, camping is a great example.

As a person who spent several years living without running water I can confirm that it is definitely possible to a dishwasher’s worth of dishes by hand using less than 5 gallons of water. I know because the pan we used for heating the water was only 5 gallons and it was never filled for dishes, only for baths.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7258 on: March 02, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »
When we lived on board, the water tanks lasted half again as long if I did dishes than if DH did dishes.

LaserLemon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7259 on: March 03, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »

You should replace them at the next convenient time.  Car tires do not last indefinitely even if they have tread.  The material degrades and 7 years is a good time to start thinking about replacements IMO.  I have this issue too on my low mileage car, but I don’t want to cheap out on a safety item

Thanks! Already have an appointment for next week. I had done the penny test and yes the tread is low so definitely ready for a replacement.

LaserLemon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7260 on: March 03, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »
7 years is a normal time for tyres to reach their EOL. The gum simply degrades over time and developes cracks. At my last set the mechanic even laughed that the profile looked like the tyres where new (20K km), but I still should get new ones the next season.

I certainly am not going to risk my life for the 10€ I save with waiting another year or wait until one breaks when I drive on the Highway. Tyres and brakes are the most important items on a car.

Agreed. Apologies, I don't want to give the impression I'm being casual about safety. You're right, this is not a situation in which saving a few extra dollars is worth it. Tires are being replaced this week. Good to hear 7 years is the norm. A family member had told me that was ridiculous, and said he gets new tires every 2-3 years!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7261 on: March 03, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
A family member had told me that was ridiculous, and said he gets new tires every 2-3 years!
Your family member is probably driving a non-Mustachian amount and replacing them based on tread depth instead of age.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7262 on: March 03, 2020, 04:08:57 PM »
A family member had told me that was ridiculous, and said he gets new tires every 2-3 years!
Your family member is probably driving a non-Mustachian amount and replacing them based on tread depth instead of age.

Could also be cheap tires.  Decent tires can easily last 60k which is like 4 years at 15k per year

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #7263 on: March 03, 2020, 04:18:48 PM »

Could also be cheap tires.  Decent tires can easily last 60k which is like 4 years at 15k per year

Could also be driving style.  I drive like an old man and my brakes and tires last longer than my 19DS's brakes and tires.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #7264 on: March 03, 2020, 09:09:27 PM »

Quality of the tire has very little to do with how many miles they are rated to last. Quality Tires are designed for all sorts of different applications. High mileage being only one possible application.  Typically there is a trade off between grip and tread wear. A tire rated for high mileage likely has less grip and will take a longer distance to bring the vehicle to a stop.

Tires maximum age is somewhere around 10 years. Manufacturers suggest after  5 years you inspect the rubber for age related problems every year. They're likely going to be bad prior to 10 years depending on climate, etc. If you don't drive a lot of miles it's likely that a tire with a low replacement mileage rating is a better tire for you as it will likely be safer and if you don't drive a lot you are unlikely to go through the tread before the tire is bad due to age.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7265 on: March 04, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »

Quality of the tire has very little to do with how many miles they are rated to last. Quality Tires are designed for all sorts of different applications. High mileage being only one possible application.  Typically there is a trade off between grip and tread wear. A tire rated for high mileage likely has less grip and will take a longer distance to bring the vehicle to a stop.

Tires maximum age is somewhere around 10 years. Manufacturers suggest after  5 years you inspect the rubber for age related problems every year. They're likely going to be bad prior to 10 years depending on climate, etc. If you don't drive a lot of miles it's likely that a tire with a low replacement mileage rating is a better tire for you as it will likely be safer and if you don't drive a lot you are unlikely to go through the tread before the tire is bad due to age.

Well reasoned, although cheap tires will probably not have grip not mileage.  Within a given standard of safety, there’s probably a slightly more expensive version that also will last longer

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7266 on: March 04, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »
I don't draw a paycheck, but yesterday I worked the polls from 6am to 10pm and tonight it looks like I am in for a useless meeting with a bunch of men with grand ideas and no follow through. Every single one of them thinks XYZ should be done and probably want to know why I haven't done it, despite the fact that I have already spent over a year telling them what is wrong with their vision and none of them has offered a single solution that hasn't already been tried.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #7267 on: March 05, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »
I don't owe enough money! :(

Mortgage rates are at record lows, but I can't save any money by refinancing because I have a small mustachian house.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7268 on: March 05, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »

Mortgage rates are at record lows, but I can't save any money by refinancing because I have a small mustachian house.

Cashout refi, put it in the market :D

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7269 on: March 06, 2020, 04:58:08 AM »

Cashout refi, put it in the market :D

200% LTV

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #7270 on: March 06, 2020, 09:45:57 PM »

Well reasoned, although cheap tires will probably not have grip not mileage.  Within a given standard of safety, there’s probably a slightly more expensive version that also will last longer
Indeed. And I'm sure rwd knows more about tires than I do. Just wanted to make sure others in the thread  who are less car oriented realized there are multiple things to look at

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7271 on: March 07, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
My related MPP is that my car is six years old and has 58k miles on it. The tires need to be replaced,, but how long do I wait? I do know the standard tread wear indicators, but I don't really want to wait that long. I like having tires with plenty of tread, but does that make me unmustachian :p

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7272 on: March 07, 2020, 11:55:53 AM »
My related MPP is that my car is six years old and has 58k miles on it. The tires need to be replaced,, but how long do I wait? I do know the standard tread wear indicators, but I don't really want to wait that long. I like having tires with plenty of tread, but does that make me unmustachian :p

I have a similar low mileage yet aging vehicle and have wondered about that as well.  I see 10 years as a recommendation for tire replacement regardless of wear and I would think probably earlier if you don't garage it.  There is a Department of Transportation date code stamped into the side wall that can tell you the age of tires if there is any question of when they were manufactured.

I thought mine looked pretty cracked at 8 years.  I am parked outside at work and home both.  I researched into it some back then, and determined it was best to go ahead and replace.  And now it's getting close to 6 years on this set.  Car still has very low mileage.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7273 on: March 07, 2020, 01:31:44 PM »
I used to buy Michelin tires, but I never got the mileage they were rated for. I drive
easy, like 65 year old man aware of where lights and stops are and coast to them.
People hate it, they want to hurry up and stop.
  After a tire problem with a tire still under some warranty, Michelin said they would not cover it because the tire was rubber checked. Well, if it rubber checks while still under warranty, that seems like their problem, not mine. And yes this was a garaged car. I had a conversation with a tire salesman about Michelin tires and fast wear,
 he said, "ya, they have fixed that now!"  I don't know.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7274 on: March 08, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »

For time 5-6 years is the normal limit. If your car is rarely parked in the sun and stored in a garage then longer may be fine. In addition to reduced performance you need to worry about sudden tread delamination as tires age.

For tread the wear bars are the legal limit. At that point your wet road performance is already significantly reduced. Risk of hydroplaning goes up a lot after after about double the wear bar depth. Depending on how much rainy day driving you do replacing between 2 mm and 3 mm of depth would be advised.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7275 on: March 08, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »
Investments always cause me tax-related MPPs.

Looks like my state of residence is trying to assess me a penalty of $24.80, because my quarterly estimated payments to the state were not evenly distributed throughout the year.  I made larger quarterly payments in the 3rd and 4th quarters than in the 1st and 2nd quarters -- because I shifted some investments around in the later half of the year, which caused some realized/taxable investment gains.

Technically, there are some really complicated forms I could fill out, in order to prove that my income was "lumpy" throughout the year, and I could prove that I made the appropriate estimated payments per each quarter.  However, my MPP is, I'm going to give Illinois the $24.80 that it thinks I owe, because that's easier than fucking around with a whole bunch of complicated and annoying tax forms.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7276 on: March 08, 2020, 11:18:58 AM »

Looks like my state of residence is trying to assess me a penalty of $24.80, because my quarterly estimated payments to the state were not evenly distributed throughout the year.  I made larger quarterly payments in the 3rd and 4th quarters than in the 1st and 2nd quarters -- because I shifted some investments around in the later half of the year, which caused some realized/taxable investment gains.

Technically, there are some really complicated forms I could fill out, in order to prove that my income was "lumpy" throughout the year, and I could prove that I made the appropriate estimated payments per each quarter.  However, my MPP is, I'm going to give Illinois the $24.80 that it thinks I owe, because that's easier than fucking around with a whole bunch of complicated and annoying tax forms.

That's super annoying.  It's the right answer, but I hate being forced to "admit" something that's not true, implicitly, but allowing the fee to stand.

My MPP is that we were making Trader Joe's chocolate croissants for special Sunday breakfast today. They are honestly the best - so much better than a bakery because you can eat them hot right out of the oven (which is the *only* way to eat them that's worth the calories and sugar!) and they only cost like $1.25 each instead of $3 or 4 at a bakery.  BUT, they have to be left out to proof overnight and since we don't leave the heater on overnight and it's freezing in the morning, the croissants barely puffed up at all.  They were still tasty, and absolutely still better than bakery ones that had been sitting in a case for an hour or 5 already.  But, not nearly as good as when they really balloon up overnight in warmer months.  I guess chocolate croissants are mostly a summer thing now, especially in the place we are renting now, which has poorer insulation than our previous home.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7277 on: March 08, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
Ha true, I didn't think of it that way, but slow rising dough is completely an MPP, and happens all the time to me. We keep that thermostat turned down!

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7278 on: March 08, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »

That's super annoying.  It's the right answer, but I hate being forced to "admit" something that's not true, implicitly, but allowing the fee to stand.

My MPP is that we were making Trader Joe's chocolate croissants for special Sunday breakfast today. They are honestly the best - so much better than a bakery because you can eat them hot right out of the oven (which is the *only* way to eat them that's worth the calories and sugar!) and they only cost like $1.25 each instead of $3 or 4 at a bakery.  BUT, they have to be left out to proof overnight and since we don't leave the heater on overnight and it's freezing in the morning, the croissants barely puffed up at all.  They were still tasty, and absolutely still better than bakery ones that had been sitting in a case for an hour or 5 already.  But, not nearly as good as when they really balloon up overnight in warmer months.  I guess chocolate croissants are mostly a summer thing now, especially in the place we are renting now, which has poorer insulation than our previous home.

Try to find the warmest ambient place in your home. Maybe on top of the refrigerator? 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7279 on: March 08, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »

Try to find the warmest ambient place in your home. Maybe on top of the refrigerator?

Probably in the bed with us, next time!  That oughta do it!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7280 on: March 08, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »
MMP: Feeling left out...

Between half a freezer of food we harvested last summer, a pantry full partially used bulk purchases, and an accidental double purchase of Costco TP months ago I can't think of a single thing to run out and panic buy! I tried buying stocks, but everyone else was selling so I missed the herd on that too.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7281 on: March 08, 2020, 08:37:10 PM »

For time 5-6 years is the normal limit. If your car is rarely parked in the sun and stored in a garage then longer may be fine. In addition to reduced performance you need to worry about sudden tread delamination as tires age.

For tread the wear bars are the legal limit. At that point your wet road performance is already significantly reduced. Risk of hydroplaning goes up a lot after after about double the wear bar depth. Depending on how much rainy day driving you do replacing between 2 mm and 3 mm of depth would be advised.
Ha! It rained exactly zero days in the month of February. That's my MPP. I know the markers, I just don't want to wait for them.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7282 on: March 08, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
<snip>
I have somewhat better luck in this situation by putting the tray into the oven before turning it on.  They tend to puff up somewhat extra while the oven in pre-heating.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7283 on: March 08, 2020, 09:21:25 PM »
Come to think of it, my MPP is that my car keeps insisting it needs an oil change based on how long it has been since the last one. But since I bike almost everywhere now it isn’t anywhere near the mileage for the next oil change. So I ignore its demands

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7284 on: March 08, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »
Come to think of it, my MPP is that my car keeps insisting it needs an oil change based on how long it has been since the last one. But since I bike almost everywhere now it isn’t anywhere near the mileage for the next oil change. So I ignore its demands
Mine does that too, be a use DH uses synthetic oil. The car can be easily reprogrammed to make this nanny-car warning stop. Check the manual, or just keep ignoring it, lol.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7285 on: March 08, 2020, 11:11:53 PM »
<snip>
I have somewhat better luck in this situation by putting the tray into the oven before turning it on.  They tend to puff up somewhat extra while the oven in pre-heating.

This will be YMMV.  I did that once and discovered my oven uses the broiler coil during preheating and burned the tops of my croissants.  Even with a different design the coils will be putting out high radiant heat compared to regular oven operation

TJ also has no-proof croissants that you can bake straight from frozen.  I don’t know how they are different and they still suggest letting it sit out for half an hour before baking.  They are also cheaper so... maybe just drizzle chocolate on top?

But I do like the fridge idea or a nice cozy bed croissant.  You could also put it in a box with an incandescent light bulb or something... cost would be like 10 cents and that would also go to heating your home

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:19:15 PM by dragoncar »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7286 on: March 08, 2020, 11:17:27 PM »
Mine does that too, be a use DH uses synthetic oil. The car can be easily reprogrammed to make this nanny-car warning stop. Check the manual, or just keep ignoring it, lol.

I have been known to go too long between oil changes based on time not mileage but there are reasons to change it before you hit the miles.  Those oil computers do take into account short trips and engine temperature to try to estimate if you are risking by excessive moisture in your oil (nice long trips boil off all built up moisture).  If you change your own oil it’s cheap enough that I would prefer to do it slightly more often rather than risk engine damage over time.  That said I don’t have a fancy oil computer and usually end up forgetting until the idiot lamp comes on and I realize it’s been 2 years since my last change.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7287 on: March 09, 2020, 04:52:31 AM »
<snip>

This will be YMMV.  I did that once and discovered my oven uses the broiler coil during preheating and burned the tops of my croissants.  Even with a different design the coils will be putting out high radiant heat compared to regular oven operation

TJ also has no-proof croissants that you can bake straight from frozen.  I don’t know how they are different and they still suggest letting it sit out for half an hour before baking.  They are also cheaper so... maybe just drizzle chocolate on top?

But I do like the fridge idea or a nice cozy bed croissant.  You could also put it in a box with an incandescent light bulb or something... cost would be like 10 cents and that would also go to heating your home
Leave them in the oven with the light on to proof, the light will add just enough heat for them to puff up nicely.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7288 on: March 09, 2020, 05:13:19 AM »

Leave them in the oven with the light on to proof, the light will add just enough heat for them to puff up nicely.

Duh... I was almost there wasn’t I?  But I just couldn’t make the final leap and ya boomed me

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7289 on: March 09, 2020, 08:50:35 AM »

I just paid IL their scam blood money.  I did attempt a quick phone call first to try to get them to waive it.  The guy on the phone was very nice, but said he was not able to waive it, and furthermore was very candid in saying "This is an unfortunate situation. You could fill out IL-2210 to show your income spread out throughout the year, but it isn't worth the effort for $25."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:01:02 AM by rantk81 »

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7290 on: March 09, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »

I just paid IL their scam blood money.  I did attempt a quick phone call first to try to get them to waive it.  The guy on the phone was very nice, but said he was not able to waive it, and furthermore was very candid in saying "This is an unfortunate situation. You could fill out IL-2210 to show your income spread out throughout the year, but it isn't worth the effort for $25."

I think there is a reason they picked the value of the penalty to be low enough that most would not fight it.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7291 on: March 09, 2020, 12:36:58 PM »
MPP: I front-loaded my 401k for the first time and now the market downturn is making that look like a bad decision.

My company does biweekly paychecks and pays bonuses in February. I typically put half of the third paycheck into my 401K, and I did that for the third paycheck in January. Then in February, I got a bonus that, when combined with my YTD contributions, would allow me to max out the 401K, *AND* for the first time I learned how much the bonus was before the cut-off date to change the allocation.

So I decided to do that. And now all those contributions are down ~15% and it's throwing off my spreadsheets. It'll be fine in the long run, but right now I'm annoyed.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7292 on: March 09, 2020, 12:48:55 PM »
MPP: I front-loaded my 401k for the first time and now the market downturn is making that look like a bad decision.

My company does biweekly paychecks and pays bonuses in February. I typically put half of the third paycheck into my 401K, and I did that for the third paycheck in January. Then in February, I got a bonus that, when combined with my YTD contributions, would allow me to max out the 401K, *AND* for the first time I learned how much the bonus was before the cut-off date to change the allocation.

So I decided to do that. And now all those contributions are down ~15% and it's throwing off my spreadsheets. It'll be fine in the long run, but right now I'm annoyed.

I did the same thing with our Roth IRAs this year. Also for the first time. I resemble that closing remark.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7293 on: March 09, 2020, 02:52:32 PM »
MPP: I need to liquidate the assets in my HSA so I can roll it over to a new trustee.  I've been meaning to do this for a while, since the fees are high at HSABank, the current trustee, the one my old employer used. 

But now that I'm finally getting on the ball, the stock market takes a nosedive and I feel stupid for liquidating (even though I have a different, good reason to do it) not to mention bad about the losses. But not doing it at this point is psychological and a bad reason to wait so I'm...going to do it...?  Ugh.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7294 on: March 09, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
MPP: I need to liquidate the assets in my HSA so I can roll it over to a new trustee.  I've been meaning to do this for a while, since the fees are high at HSABank, the current trustee, the one my old employer used. 

But now that I'm finally getting on the ball, the stock market takes a nosedive and I feel stupid for liquidating (even though I have a different, good reason to do it) not to mention bad about the losses. But not doing it at this point is psychological and a bad reason to wait so I'm...going to do it...?  Ugh.

If you could just magically move it straight from one to the other, it wouldn't matter.   As it is, you could lose a bit.  Or gain a bit.

Does the amount you could lose matter all that much?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7295 on: March 09, 2020, 03:32:40 PM »

If you could just magically move it straight from one to the other, it wouldn't matter.   As it is, you could lose a bit.  Or gain a bit.

Does the amount you could lose matter all that much?

No.  The total amount in the account is less than $10k.  Thanks for reminding me for another reason I should just do it!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7296 on: March 09, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »
My 401k provider hasn't updated yet for today's market drop. I wanna see how far down the graph went!!!

Context: I am kinda enjoying watching this wild ride. Instead of feeling anxious, I think it's cool. Yes, I'm weird. But since the 401k hasn't rolled through yet, I can't get the full drop in value to see how far down the graph goes.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7297 on: March 10, 2020, 08:24:58 AM »
My 401k provider hasn't updated yet for today's market drop. I wanna see how far down the graph went!!!

Context: I am kinda enjoying watching this wild ride. Instead of feeling anxious, I think it's cool. Yes, I'm weird. But since the 401k hasn't rolled through yet, I can't get the full drop in value to see how far down the graph goes.

I got paid today but my contribution won't post until Friday, so I will miss most of this dip. Wahhhh!!!

Another mpp: we are waiting to do another cc bonus until our mortgage refinance goes through, so we decided to do a low spend month and clean out the freezer, pantry, etc. I had to buy a new suit the other day and I told my husband I felt like I was "wasting my spend"  because it wouldn't count towards a bonus.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #7298 on: March 10, 2020, 04:56:06 PM »
Well color me annoyed!  DH's 401-K contribution was SUPPOSED to go in yesterday, it always goes in the Monday after he gets paid.  But it didn't.  Bah.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7299 on: March 11, 2020, 03:53:56 AM »
Well color me annoyed!  DH's 401-K contribution was SUPPOSED to go in yesterday, it always goes in the Monday after he gets paid.  But it didn't.  Bah.

Similar problem here.  401k contribution on Tuesday just in time to buy 5% higher and tomorrow looks down again