Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1069627 times)

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #800 on: December 04, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »
Yes, I just had an Amazon 'we miss you' email, offering 10 off when I spend 50. I have got something lined up for my nieces Christmas present. It's 30. I literally cannot find a single other thing I want or need, to spend the 20 (that would only cost me 10). Everything I've thought of isn't dispatched by Amazon, and it has to come from them to qualify. Ugh!
Have you considered book?
There are always useful books. Someone likely to need something in school?
Or think about donating a book. I dont know how it is in your country, but perhaps you can donate books and get a tax bonus on that.
Or you can always present someone a Terry Pratchett :D

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: December 04, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »
Yes, I just had an Amazon 'we miss you' email, offering 10 off when I spend 50. I have got something lined up for my nieces Christmas present. It's 30. I literally cannot find a single other thing I want or need, to spend the 20 (that would only cost me 10). Everything I've thought of isn't dispatched by Amazon, and it has to come from them to qualify. Ugh!
I'd imagine this won't work, but have you checked the terms and conditions to see if gift cards qualify?

Does a friend or family member need something ordered off Amazon soon?

Buy something that you can return to a Walmart or grocery store.
Or buy something you normally buy a grocery store.  I buy food and lotion on amazon.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #802 on: December 04, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
Having a teenager who has absorbed the mustachian lifestyle almost too much.  I was going to buy him an electric shaver on amazon.com, and he looked at the screen from across the room and came running over to tell me to stop.  "I told you I don't need anything.  Don't buy me presents." 

I know he's going to want a present or two to open on Christmas Day, but other than a couple of books and a goat from Heifer International, that's it.  He doesn't even wear long-sleeved shirts, just a t-shirt and a hand-me-down Spyder ski jacket he has had for two years.  I will probably get him a jokey t-shirt, too, now that I think of it. 

My other kid has made a long list, starting with a PS 4.  Yeah, no. 

This_Is_My_Username

• Bristles
« Reply #803 on: December 04, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »
an actual, real-live, goat?

Mesmoiselle

• Stubble
« Reply #804 on: December 04, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »
Like a couple of the people mentioned here, I also bought a house too cheap to file a deduction on the interest.
I'm a travel Ultrasound Technician. And if I don't manage to burn out, I can FI in 5 years. I am DROWNING IN LUXURY. Learning to swim instead of drown.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: .
« Reply #805 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »
an actual, real-live, goat?

Yes, but not for the teenager.

Heifer is a charitable organization where people can make donations that are used to buy useful things for people in poverty.  In the case of goats, they can provide milk.  You can also buy chickens (eggs), oxen (plowing), etc.  The intent is to make a sustainable difference in people's lives:

http://www.heifer.org/gift-catalog/animals-nutrition/index.html

Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: December 04, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
Heifer is bullshit.

Annie-Blake

« Reply #807 on: December 04, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
Having an xmas budget and having people in the family give disapproving looks when you decide to get your niece and nephew each a $20 gift card to Disney where they will be in a month instead of spending $150 on 2 soccer goals for them. SIL acts like they are the only people we have to shop for!

wow, that's rude! i think a $20 gift card to Disney is a fantastic present.  Seems like SIL is ungrateful that you gave a thoughtful gift to her children.  and since when has present giving been about the value anyway?! it's the thought that counts.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #808 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:30 AM »
Heifer is bullshit.
I am astounded, Sir, by your elaborate and eloquent argument.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: December 05, 2014, 03:45:10 AM »
Took out too many books from the library -- everything I'd ordered from inter-library loan came in the same week.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: December 05, 2014, 05:32:26 AM »
That is when you walk into the library with two book bags to take home all your loot  ;-).  My library is used to me walking in with 7 books to return and 10 to go - in fact when they had a week counting use, they were extra glad to see me.

One of the joys of retirement, I can actually read books as much as I want - and I want to read lots, on lots of different topics.

Took out too many books from the library -- everything I'd ordered from inter-library loan came in the same week.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

2lazy2retire

« Reply #811 on: December 05, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
Heifer is bullshit.
I am astounded, Sir, by your elaborate and eloquent argument.

Maybe not very well put - but a small bit of research suggests that he may have a point

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #812 on: December 05, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
That is when you walk into the library with two book bags to take home all your loot  ;-).  My library is used to me walking in with 7 books to return and 10 to go - in fact when they had a week counting use, they were extra glad to see me.

In my schooltime I used to go there with a backpack and get as many books as I could get in it.
Useless to say that the library was (and is) far too small for me.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #813 on: December 05, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »
Ive gotten two $50 codes for GiftCertificates.com and I'm having trouble actually figuring out anything that I want/need.  I think my best options are either use them for 'the container store' and get some nice tubs for more bulk food storage, or Bed Bath and Beyond and get a Pressure Canner. 

All the 'fun' things I want (small electronic components for hacking around with my arduino/raspberry pi) all cost less to get though Taiwanese/Chinese based sites or aren't even available at any of the places where I can get gift certificates with my codes.  The closest thing I was thinking of was going to staples and getting an 8 port PoE(Power over Ethernet) switch for when I eventually do some of my own home automation based projects so I don't have to use an AC-> DC converter and run power manually every where I stick an arduino, but that's more then my $100 total.

Another option is to get gift cards to restaurants, but most of the things offered aren't in our area. 

Another mustachian problem is coming up with christmas lists for relatives... The best I've been able to do is list a few bike nice to haves (a stronger set of lights, reflective velcro straps to keep my pant legs from getting caught in the chain, etc...).  Last year I got a really nice collapsible basket to mount on back of my bike, it's on there next to the milk crate strapped to the cargo rack :)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #814 on: December 05, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
Same here, that is why I maintain a non-resident membership for the Ottawa library, I can go online and reserve any item that is at any branch, and it will get sent to my branch of choice.  The drive in once every 7-10 days is well worth it, I would spend far more on books than I ever spend on the commute if I didn't have a good library.
As we move more to downloadable materials, I hope to depend less on real items, and cut down on the commute (or alternately move at some point to a small city).

Useless to say that the library was (and is) far too small for me.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #815 on: December 05, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »

LOL, that's a great one. Oh, the horror! Sometimes I try to strategically manage my place on the library wait list out of fear that this will happen!

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #816 on: December 05, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
Having an xmas budget and having people in the family give disapproving looks when you decide to get your niece and nephew each a $20 gift card to Disney where they will be in a month instead of spending $150 on 2 soccer goals for them. SIL acts like they are the only people we have to shop for!

I've always found that disapproving looks are a great way to get poorly homemade cardsa big fuck you from me. :-)

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #817 on: December 05, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
Realizing that since you don't watch TV or the latest movies you don't know a single face or name on the covers of impulse-buy magazines. [This might be an age thing.]

It's actually unsettling. I looked harder for at least a name that I knew, thinking perhaps someone had Botoxed herself out of recognition. Nope.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #818 on: December 05, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »
Realizing that since you don't watch TV or the latest movies you don't know a single face or name on the covers of impulse-buy magazines. [This might be an age thing.]

It's actually unsettling. I looked harder for at least a name that I knew, thinking perhaps someone had Botoxed herself out of recognition. Nope.
Sorry you find it unsettling.   I consider it an accomplishment worthy of sharing.   
=Badassity :)

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #819 on: December 05, 2014, 01:28:29 PM »

Sorry you find it unsettling.   I consider it an accomplishment worthy of sharing.   
=Badassity :)
+1
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »
Just discovered this forum a week or two ago, but I've always been pretty frugal.
I've never paid for cable and I haven't owned a TV in many years. Long enough that my friends aren't surprised and no one mentions it when they visit.

But a few days ago a guy came to my door trying to sell me cable TV and internet. I said I was happy with my internet provider, but I don't want cable. I told him at this point I didn't have a TV, but I don't think he understood that I literally do not own a TV. He explained that I could get this great deal for cheap for the first 6 months, then cancel it. I said it is still more than what I'm paying for internet right now, and I'd have to go buy a TV and deal with the hassle of changing providers, all for something I'm really not interested in. He got a shocked look and said 'Oh, you mean you really don't have a TV?!' Then he started to tell me they also include subscriptions to TED Talks........ I was too stunned to ask if he was referring to the same TED talks that are available for free online.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #821 on: December 05, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
Just discovered this forum a week or two ago, but I've always been pretty frugal.
I've never paid for cable and I haven't owned a TV in many years. Long enough that my friends aren't surprised and no one mentions it when they visit.

But a few days ago a guy came to my door trying to sell me cable TV and internet. I said I was happy with my internet provider, but I don't want cable. I told him at this point I didn't have a TV, but I don't think he understood that I literally do not own a TV. He explained that I could get this great deal for cheap for the first 6 months, then cancel it. I said it is still more than what I'm paying for internet right now, and I'd have to go buy a TV and deal with the hassle of changing providers, all for something I'm really not interested in. He got a shocked look and said 'Oh, you mean you really don't have a TV?!' Then he started to tell me they also include subscriptions to TED Talks........ I was too stunned to ask if he was referring to the same TED talks that are available for free online.

He kind of missed the point of TED didn't he?
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #822 on: December 05, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
Christmas shopping is really hard this year. 

My kids made their Christmas lists.  The younger boys are pretty normal and want toys and legos.  Easy enough.  But the older two?

13 year old daughter -- wool socks
11 year old son -- trip to see Grandma and Grandpa

End list. 

Shit, now I need to get creative. 

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #823 on: December 05, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »

LOL, that's a great one. Oh, the horror! Sometimes I try to strategically manage my place on the library wait list out of fear that this will happen!

Yes! We have totally done that. We need to manage those library holds closely so all the good stuff doesn't come in at once.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #824 on: December 05, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
DH was sad that he had lost a pair of shorts at the gym.

Fast forward two weeks, found them in the dryer.

Winston

• Stubble
« Reply #825 on: December 05, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »
I've found that I can't save up for anything I really want anymore. Whenever I get a decent amount of money in my savings account, it just starts burning a hole in my pocket and I spend it on...

...index funds.

:/

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #826 on: December 06, 2014, 04:22:36 AM »
Toys and legos 

Sorry to go OT but this is something I have wondered about for a while - why do you call it "legos" (plural, not capitalised) in America rather than Lego? And if it's all legos, is each brick "a lego"?

Winston

• Stubble
« Reply #827 on: December 06, 2014, 05:39:39 AM »
Toys and legos 

Sorry to go OT but this is something I have wondered about for a while - why do you call it "legos" (plural, not capitalised) in America rather than Lego? And if it's all legos, is each brick "a lego"?

Mostly out of ignorance and/or laziness... but it's very widespread and I'm often guilty of it myself even though I understand the proper usage. Since LEGO is a brand name, it should be used as an adjective when describing its products. People should be saying"LEGO bricks" and "LEGO sets." (Also, note how "LEGO" is entirely capitalized... that's the correct way to write the name. "Lego" is incorrect.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:44:47 AM by Winston »

Mesmoiselle

• Stubble
« Reply #828 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:10 AM »
Toys and legos 

Mostly out of ignorance and/or laziness... but it's very widespread and I'm often guilty of it myself even though I understand the proper usage. Since LEGO is a brand name, it should be used as an adjective when describing its products. People should be saying"LEGO bricks" and "LEGO sets." (Also, note how "LEGO" is entirely capitalized... that's the correct way to write the name. "Lego" is incorrect.)

Same reason most of us call a tissue a Kleenex. And I definitely call steel wool "Brillo pads" even when I don't even have that brand in the house anymore.
I'm a travel Ultrasound Technician. And if I don't manage to burn out, I can FI in 5 years. I am DROWNING IN LUXURY. Learning to swim instead of drown.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #829 on: December 06, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
I've found that I can't save up for anything I really want anymore. Whenever I get a decent amount of money in my savings account, it just starts burning a hole in my pocket and I spend it on...

...index funds.

When somebody asks me if I'm going to get myself anything for Christmas, I respond VTSAX or VTIAX. Then they look at me blankly =)

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #830 on: December 06, 2014, 07:14:15 PM »

...index funds.

When somebody asks me if I'm going to get myself anything for Christmas, I respond VTSAX or VTIAX. Then they look at me blankly =)

Love this. It makes me feel like I'm way too stealthy in my savings. Stealing this for my next conversation.

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #831 on: December 08, 2014, 08:16:32 AM »

Love this. It makes me feel like I'm way too stealthy in my savings. Stealing this for my next conversation.
\
Or a maybe more interesting way of saying it:  I'm going to buy bits of 3784 companies.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #832 on: December 08, 2014, 09:09:18 AM »
The Hub got a bonus a few months ago.  It didn't occur to him to mention it until I commented that the checking account where it was deposited was a little funny.

Apples

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #833 on: December 08, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »

I did the same thing!  I had an inter-library loan show up, and I was in the queue for several books (like 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th) but due to different amounts of books (ex. I was 4th in the queue for something that the library had 3 copies of, and 3rd for only 1 copy) I got all the books within 2 weeks!  But I need to read them b/c I can't renew them with other ppl waiting for them and don't want to wait up to 2 months to get them again!  I try explaining the issue to friends, and they laugh b/c I go to the library. Hah.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #834 on: December 08, 2014, 12:40:42 PM »
Toys and legos 

Same reason most of us call a tissue a Kleenex. And I definitely call steel wool "Brillo pads" even when I don't even have that brand in the house anymore.

Same reason I wanted a pair of 'RollerBlades' when I was a kid, not inline skates.... and also the disturbing trend in some states where every type of soda is called 'Coke'

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #835 on: December 08, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »
Toys and legos 

Same reason I wanted a pair of 'RollerBlades' when I was a kid, not inline skates.... and also the disturbing trend in some states where every type of soda is called 'Coke'

Aspirin
Styrofoam

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #836 on: December 08, 2014, 03:32:27 PM »
Toys and legos 

Until you wrote that I didn't even realize Roller blades was not the generic name!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #837 on: December 08, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
Toys and legos 

Until you wrote that I didn't even realize Roller blades was not the generic name!

But when you want a six pack of Cokes, that's what you ask for.  Not a "six pack of Coca-Cola brand carbonated beverage cans".  Which means "LEGOs" is fine, as long as you aren't referring to Duplo Brand stacking blocks.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #838 on: December 08, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
But when you want a six pack of Cokes, that's what you ask for.  Not a "six pack of Coca-Cola brand carbonated beverage cans".  Which means "LEGOs" is fine, as long as you aren't referring to Duplo Brand stacking blocks.

Duplo are made by LEGO.  Mega Blocks are one of the copies.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #839 on: December 08, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »

Sprite is made by Coca-Cola, but I don't call it a Coke.  Pepsi is one of the copies.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: December 09, 2014, 02:45:09 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions on the amazon spend 50 to get 10 off. But this is still a serious mustachian problem - none of the grocery type or household products I buy are dispatched by Amazon, so they don't qualify! I've tried paper products, coconut oil, olive oil, cereals, tins. I don't buy lotion because I make my own (and shea butter, essential oils etc don't qualify). None of the makeup I wear qualifies. No giftcards allowed. I've already donated to a toy drive for underprivileged children this year (I could always do more, I know, but I don't want to spend money just for the sake of it when I have a budget for charitable giving and I have used it up).

I don't buy books, I go to the library. I've done all my Christmas and gift shopping for birthdays up to July. Wahhhhhh it's so hard when people try to give you free stuff!

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #841 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:42 AM »
i think it's a uk/us thing, i'd never ask for a 'six pack of cokes' but a 'six pack of coke', likewise, a box of lego not legos.

Sprite is made by Coca-Cola, but I don't call it a Coke.  Pepsi is one of the copies.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #842 on: December 10, 2014, 01:17:46 PM »
Someone may have mentioned this problem already, but this just happened to me---I went to use the cash machine and realized that I couldn't remember my PIN.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #843 on: December 11, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
Someone may have mentioned this problem already, but this just happened to me---I went to use the cash machine and realized that I couldn't remember my PIN.
+1

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #844 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »
+1

I just use the same combination as my luggage: 1234

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #845 on: December 12, 2014, 01:55:58 AM »
Fortunately - and coincidantally - I got (nearly) the same PIN as my mobile phone. So I had just wrote down my mobiles PIN (prepaid dumb, worst that can happen bc of this is someone uses the prepaid 15 for calling) and in my head I know how to make the PIN out of it.
After 4 years I am able to remember it without help though, even if I use it just once a month.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #846 on: December 12, 2014, 02:27:42 AM »
Toys and legos 

Yeah, it's not actually a brand name vs generic question at all - it's a singular/plural. Lego is, of course, a brand name, but legos is a corruption not a generic alternative. It's a different way of viewing the product epistemologically - some plural legos vs some Lego(-branded product). I guess the generic name would be 'stacking bricks'?

loveChloe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #847 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51:43 AM »
I enjoy buying cars...But I have bought to my mum, dad, bro...to granny... 2 for  me... and now I really "need" to buy one more, but do not know for whom))

samusugiru

• Stubble
« Reply #848 on: December 13, 2014, 04:04:42 AM »
We don't have a car and my sister has an annoying habit of giving me bags of stuff when she sees me on an outing. Um, I'm carting around two toddlers on the bus and train, please don't give me a giant bag of stuff to take as well!

Not being able to contribute to the conversation when people talk about upgrading cars when they have kids, because they "need the space". I still haven't figured out what they're talking about. I manage to take my almost three year old twins to the beach, museums, grocery store etc in their stroller or the bike and manage to carry everything needed. The only adjustment I've made is buying smaller buckets for them to play with at the beach/park.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #849 on: December 13, 2014, 05:14:51 AM »
We don't have a car and my sister has an annoying habit of giving me bags of stuff when she sees me on an outing. Um, I'm carting around two toddlers on the bus and train, please don't give me a giant bag of stuff to take as well!

Not being able to contribute to the conversation when people talk about upgrading cars when they have kids, because they "need the space". I still haven't figured out what they're talking about. I manage to take my almost three year old twins to the beach, museums, grocery store etc in their stroller or the bike and manage to carry everything needed. The only adjustment I've made is buying smaller buckets for them to play with at the beach/park.

You are right!  They 'need' a bigger car the car seats (pl.), and the stroller(s), plus the diaper bags and toilet paper and diapers.

Without a car, you don't need car seats,  kids are in the stroller, and the diapers fit underneath the unfolded/ in use stroller.

Hmm. Imagine how many times we buy bigger to fit the stuff we need only because we own that too small item..  Furniture comes to mind... Pianos, woodshop tools and dining room tables all generate a 'need' for that extra room.  Suitcases..  What else?  Does it only apply to thing that hold stuff?

I knew this, but your post converted it into an obvious aha! Far more impactfully for me.  Thx