Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087070 times)

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2100 on: October 21, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »

. . .
  Sometime in the 90's while buying our third house with an FHA loan, the loan officer brought us back three times, each time wanting older records showing we had been saving the down payment money and it was not a loan we had to payback.

. . .

I had this problem with buying out house after our wedding.  We got some decent sized cash gifts-- nothing crazy but enough to raise a red flag about our down payment source.  But we are still talking a small fraction of the down payment and they made us get signed letter showing the money was a gift not a loan.  It was mostly ridiculous because my brokerage accounts have enough to buy the house outright,AND our DTI was low enough that even if the cash was a loan we would still qualify for the mortgage.  I asked them just to run " worst case" numbers without the letters but they made us get the letter

This is not an issue of amount of debt, this is an issue of lien priority on the house. 

The bank is willing to lend you the purchase money on the house on the condition that it receives a first-priority lien to secure the obligation.  If someone else lends you money for the "down payment" there is the chance that other lender would file a deed of trust securing the down payment loan.  If this were to happen, the bank could suddenly find itself with a second priority lien, depending upon the specific rules of state law.  That is a much more vulnerable position for the bank to be in, regardless of the size of the "down payment" loan.  Sure getting the letters is a hassle, but it is absolutely necessary for the bank to do this as a matter of course to protect its rights to the collateral securing its loans. 

EDITED to fix quote references.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:10:18 PM by AlwaysLearningToSave »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2101 on: October 21, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
My BotaBox red wine doesn't taste as rich as normal, because my house is 62F, so it's too cold. =( Red wine is really best a little bit above room temperature... not 10 degrees below it.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2102 on: October 21, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »
My BotaBox red wine doesn't taste as rich as normal, because my house is 62F, so it's too cold. =( Red wine is really best a little bit above room temperature... not 10 degrees below it.

My problem is that my $2.89 Aldi Red Wine (Shiraz) is almost empty this evening! :D

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2103 on: October 21, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »

My problem is that my $2.89 Aldi Red Wine (Shiraz) is almost empty this evening! :D

Oh, I did have one of those problems too. My Grocery Outlet $3.99 imported Rioja is empty =( So BotaBox it is!
...I swear I don't drink THAT much.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2104 on: October 21, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »

. . .
  Sometime in the 90's while buying our third house with an FHA loan, the loan officer brought us back three times, each time wanting older records showing we had been saving the down payment money and it was not a loan we had to payback.

. . .

I had this problem with buying out house after our wedding.  We got some decent sized cash gifts-- nothing crazy but enough to raise a red flag about our down payment source.  But we are still talking a small fraction of the down payment and they made us get signed letter showing the money was a gift not a loan.  It was mostly ridiculous because my brokerage accounts have enough to buy the house outright,AND our DTI was low enough that even if the cash was a loan we would still qualify for the mortgage.  I asked them just to run " worst case" numbers without the letters but they made us get the letter

This is not an issue of amount of debt, this is an issue of lien priority on the house. 

The bank is willing to lend you the purchase money on the house on the condition that it receives a first-priority lien to secure the obligation.  If someone else lends you money for the "down payment" there is the chance that other lender would file a deed of trust securing the down payment loan.  If this were to happen, the bank could suddenly find itself with a second priority lien, depending upon the specific rules of state law.  That is a much more vulnerable position for the bank to be in, regardless of the size of the "down payment" loan.  Sure getting the letters is a hassle, but it is absolutely necessary for the bank to do this as a matter of course to protect its rights to the collateral securing its loans. 

What I'm saying is that it's not reasonable to worry that I took out a bunch of loans that sum to <1% of the home value when I have the funds to buy the home in cash.  From experience, I know banks don't require that every single dollar you have in your checking account be traced -- I had several expense reimbursement checks and cash deposits that I didn't have to explain. 

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2105 on: October 22, 2015, 07:27:13 AM »

. . .

. . .

What I'm saying is that it's not reasonable to worry that I took out a bunch of loans that sum to <1% of the home value when I have the funds to buy the home in cash.  From experience, I know banks don't require that every single dollar you have in your checking account be traced -- I had several expense reimbursement checks and cash deposits that I didn't have to explain.

I happen to know someone with a multi-million dollar trust fund.  They recently had their utilities shut off for nonpayment.  Oh, and recently evicted from their home.  Wtf?
Lesson learned: just because someone has money doesn't mean that they will spend it on their obligations.
I'll bet the bank learned this too.  I can't fault them for being cautious, but what an annoyance for responsible folks like us.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #2106 on: October 22, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
Stopping shopping at Goodwill because it doesn't seem right anymore to buy nice clothes there, as for someone that's the only way they can afford nice clothes.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2107 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:06 AM »
Stopping shopping at Goodwill because it doesn't seem right anymore to buy nice clothes there, as for someone that's the only way they can afford nice clothes.

Please keep shopping goodwill.  There is more than enough excess. You have no need to feel guilty or too well off for shopping second hand.

You can research it more thoroughly but here's an article from the top of Google. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fashion/2012/06/the_salvation_army_and_goodwill_inside_the_places_your_clothes_go_when_you_donate_them_.html

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2108 on: October 22, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »

Please keep shopping goodwill.  There is more than enough excess. You have no need to feel guilty or too well off for shopping second hand.

You can research it more thoroughly but here's an article from the top of Google. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fashion/2012/06/the_salvation_army_and_goodwill_inside_the_places_your_clothes_go_when_you_donate_them_.html

Thanks for the education :) Very interesting.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2109 on: October 22, 2015, 08:43:40 AM »

Ah, but if you buy them, then re-donate them while they're still on good condition, you've essentially had them on loan, and donated to goodwill, and then they still have the good stock on hand. And I bet it's still cheaper to do that than to buy that stuff new.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2110 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:55 AM »
I go to thrift stores to buy clothes/materials for one-time-use halloween costumes.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #2111 on: October 22, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »

Interesting read, thanx! "Most Americans are thoroughly convinced there is another person in their direct vicinity who truly needs and wants our unwanted clothes. This couldn’t be further from the truth. " was exactly my problem.

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2112 on: October 22, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
There are too many beautiful free campsites at a nearby land reclamation project for me to ever camp at each and every one, even if I went back every month for the rest of my life.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2113 on: October 22, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
That was an interesting read in re: second-hand clothes. Seems like there must be a better way to do things, but I guess the answer to that is mostly for everyone to stop buying so many damn clothes.

MPP: I've had this nagging feeling all week that there's too much money in my checking account. Like there is something I forgot to pay or a check I wrote that didn't get cashed. Couldn't find anything. Then I realized that my bank has been having issues with Mint for almost a week and it hasn't updated my checking account balances. So I check my bank website. The balance is $80 higher than Mint has been reporting because the only transaction in the last week was a credit card cash back rewards deposit. So now I'm back to wondering why I have so much money in the bank. Maybe I'm not spending enough ;-)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2114 on: October 22, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »
That was an interesting read in re: second-hand clothes. Seems like there must be a better way to do things, but I guess the answer to that is mostly for everyone to stop buying so many damn clothes.

MPP: I've had this nagging feeling all week that there's too much money in my checking account. Like there is something I forgot to pay or a check I wrote that didn't get cashed. Couldn't find anything. Then I realized that my bank has been having issues with Mint for almost a week and it hasn't updated my checking account balances. So I check my bank website. The balance is $80 higher than Mint has been reporting because the only transaction in the last week was a credit card cash back rewards deposit. So now I'm back to wondering why I have so much money in the bank. Maybe I'm not spending enough ;-)

Time to get a bank other than Chase ;).

MPP: World Series tickets are expensive, but when your team only shows up there once every generation, you go (plus, with moving next year, this will be the last time for a long time I'll be able to attend a game). $1500 per ticket for decent seats!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2115 on: October 22, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »
But they gave me $200 when I signed up last year! ;-)

Your $1500 baseball tickets are making me feel better about my *quick calculation* ~$550 worth of concert tickets currently in hand. I'm getting roughly 20 hours of live music out of that, you're getting one baseball game... yikes.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2116 on: October 22, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
But they gave me $200 when I signed up last year! ;-)

Your $1500 baseball tickets are making me feel better about my *quick calculation* ~$550 worth of concert tickets currently in hand. I'm getting roughly 20 hours of live music out of that, you're getting one baseball game... yikes.

Now there's always a chance I get 36 hours of baseball out of it. I hope not, but it's possible.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #2117 on: October 22, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »

MPP: World Series tickets are expensive, but when your team only shows up there once every generation, you go (plus, with moving next year, this will be the last time for a long time I'll be able to attend a game). $1500 per ticket for decent seats!

Same issue is happening with the Chase credit cards. MPP: I have to log into both Mint and the Chase website to keep tabs the spend related to my latest credit card churn until they fix the issue.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2118 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »
Now there's always a chance I get 36 hours of baseball out of it. I hope not, but it's possible.

The diminishing returns on dollar-per-hour of a baseball game turn into negative returns around about hour 5, I would think...

Same for concerts, really, but that's why I spent $550 on many different short/inexpensive concerts and not one long one ;-) 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2119 on: October 22, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »

The diminishing returns on dollar-per-hour of a baseball game turn into negative returns around about hour 5, I would think...

Same for concerts, really, but that's why I spent $550 on many different short/inexpensive concerts and not one long one ;-)

Turns out I only got $1000 tickets (stepdad will pay me back for his), about $1,150 after fees. Will show up 2:30 early to catch BP and some autographs :).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2120 on: October 22, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
Turns out I only got $1000 tickets (stepdad will pay me back for his), about $1,150 after fees. Will show up 2:30 early to catch BP and some autographs :).

Just talked to another friend and he got a ticket for $250. Should I have him deliver your facepunch in person at the game? ;-)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2121 on: October 22, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »

Just talked to another friend and he got a ticket for $250. Should I have him deliver your facepunch in person at the game? ;-)

Face has been thuroughly punched. I don't know anyone who has the tickets, so third party sites are my only option :/.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2122 on: October 22, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »
If it makes you feel better, he once told me he spends $1k a month on car payments and insurance.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2123 on: October 22, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
If it makes you feel better, he once told me he spends $1k a month on car payments and insurance.

Holy shit. Just throwin' that out there. I've saved ~$2500 this year by bringing my lunch to work. Now I have a relatable reason to give non-mustachian coworkers ;).

On another note, I don't have car finance payments, just part payments :P. Nowhere near $1k/month... Maybe $1k a year? I haven't tracked enough years to know yet.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2124 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »

I'm having issues with Chase too! Quicken isn't downloading my transactions. Maybe I should call the bank...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2125 on: October 23, 2015, 12:53:37 PM »

I'm having issues with Chase too! Quicken isn't downloading my transactions. Maybe I should call the bank...

Wife: I guess I'll start using the Barclaycard instead, since that works in Mint.

Chase will take it where it hurts... all $2 of it.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2126 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:18 AM »
I wasn't planning to do any shopping this weekend, so when the kid came and requested we go buy stuff for halloween, I tried saying "oh, we don't have any money now, we have to wait for the next paycheck". She just looked at me like I was crazy and told me to stop kidding. Oh well, that is what you get for teaching them not to live paycheck to paycheck.

So now we have written a shopping list, compared it to the grocery and fun budgets, and are getting ready to go to the store. Because she was right, we don't have any time next week to do grocery or halloween shopping.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #2127 on: October 26, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
When you see that that thing you wanted for a while is 50% off, but you STILL know it's a luxury you don't need.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2128 on: October 26, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
When you don't spend nearly enough money a month to hit the really good credit card signup bonuses, so you have to figure out how to game the system to pay rent/student loans via credit card just to get close.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2129 on: October 26, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
When you see that that thing you wanted for a while is 50% off, but you STILL know it's a luxury you don't need.

Yup! But more $$$$$ saved is a great thing:)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2130 on: October 26, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
When you don't spend nearly enough money a month to hit the really good credit card signup bonuses, so you have to figure out how to game the system to pay rent/student loans via credit card just to get close.

Yep. Spent the weekend plotting to put tuition and property taxes on a card myself.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #2131 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
I have a decent discount at a couple different gas stations to use, but no room in my tank because I only drove 26 miles this month, the rest I biked.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2132 on: October 27, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
I have a decent discount at a couple different gas stations to use, but no room in my tank because I only drove 26 miles this month, the rest I biked.

I had a similar problem in September. My Chase Freedom credit card gave me 5% on gas for the months July through September. Between moving in early August and the end of September I think we had driven less than 100 miles between two cars. So I filled up one car for about $10 just so that the transaction would fall in September.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2133 on: October 27, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
I only pay 75 cents a gallon and I can't get any further discounts... :(

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2134 on: October 27, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
My gas loyalty card is always offering bonus points if I fill up with at least 25L by a certain date.  The offer always expires before I need that much gas.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2135 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
When you can't find a used copy of the book you want and sixteen people have reserved it ahead of you at the library so you buy a new copy.
Buy 2, donate one to the library

A more Mustachian approach:  Buy one, read it, then donate it to the library.

Don't do that. They'll just sell it at the book sale for a dollar or two.

At least in my library system, we order our books from vendors pre-processed (with the stickers already on, pre-cataloged, etc.). The staff time to process donations to add the collection is more than it would cost us to buy a whole new pre-processed copy. Unless you are donating something that is in high demand and super-rare (the thing that comes to mind is Aladdin on DVD... our copies all wore out, we can't buy new ones, and now we have 300-some holds on our last 2 copies), don't expect the library to keep it.

Get on the hold list and wait your damn turn :-). It'll come eventually!

I volunteered to go through the donations and catalog them after I found out my library doesn't shelve donations.  The librarian said it would take too long to train me.   I gave her a short list of my qualifications (math degree, work on computer, read all the biographies in elementary school library).  No, she couldn't take the time, because I might not show up afterward.  Right.  Because I haven't been there once or more every month for 30+ years.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2136 on: October 28, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Re: books and the library

I kind of have the opposite "problem". There is this book series that I love, and everytime a new book comes out (every 1-2 years), I go to the library and re-borrow the entire series. To the point that I recognize half the stamps on the library book card to,  be mine.

I'd like to think that not enough people are reading the series. #too cheap to buy books

Did you know they get rid of books based on how rarely they are borrowed?  Keep reading them, or they won't be there.  I used to borrow Light a Single Candle about once a year.  Then it wasn't there, and the librarian said they get rid of books if they haven't been borrowed in over 12 months. 

So I had to go buy it.  Used, of course, at half.com.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2137 on: October 31, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
I just signed a lease on a new place 2 miles closer to work, and within walking distance. I still have $70 stored value on my bus pass that I won't really have a need to use once I move, left from the last time I put money on the card.

At least it doesn't expire so I can potentially use it for other trips throughout the city.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2138 on: October 31, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »
Spent 30 minutes this morning decanting all the tiny bottles of hotel lotion from the past year's travels (some business, some pleasure) into one big bottle because the tiny bottle clutter was driving me nuts.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2139 on: October 31, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »
I just signed a lease on a new place 2 miles closer to work, and within walking distance. I still have $70 stored value on my bus pass that I won't really have a need to use once I move, left from the last time I put money on the card.

At least it doesn't expire so I can potentially use it for other trips throughout the city.

Yes. Whenever something like that happens I always regret the money "lost".
However, its a small price to pay I suppose. By not driving you're saving . plus, at some point you or someone close to you might use up the pass? Or a thought, do they do refunds?

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2140 on: October 31, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
I don't think I have a credit score either, for the same reason. In the last two years, I've paid cash for a car and two houses. But my biggest problem is that my "walking around" money in my wallet keeps accumulating, because I just don't spend it. So my wallet will not stay closed in my purse. It's annoying.

Haha, yessss. I need to get to the bank soon because all my cash won't fit in my wallet.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2141 on: October 31, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »
I don't think I have a credit score either, for the same reason. In the last two years, I've paid cash for a car and two houses. But my biggest problem is that my "walking around" money in my wallet keeps accumulating, because I just don't spend it. So my wallet will not stay closed in my purse. It's annoying.

Haha, yessss. I need to get to the bank soon because all my cash won't fit in my wallet.

Yesss!

This has got to be the best Mustachian People Problem.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2142 on: November 01, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »

However, its a small price to pay I suppose. By not driving you're saving . plus, at some point you or someone close to you might use up the pass? Or a thought, do they do refunds?

Similar for me -- I have a parking card that recharges $50 at a time, but I use it very rarely as I ride my bike to the train.   So I know I will inevitably end up with $50 sitting in my account indefinitely.  I can probably get a check if I close the account, but it seems like a real pain.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2143 on: November 02, 2015, 06:26:39 AM »

Similar for me -- I have a parking card that recharges $50 at a time, but I use it very rarely as I ride my bike to the train.   So I know I will inevitably end up with $50 sitting in my account indefinitely.  I can probably get a check if I close the account, but it seems like a real pain.

This is a Los Angeles Metro TAP card, and they don't do refunds as far as I know, but it might come in handy for trips downtown to the museums, and my company pays 75 percent anyway, so it is only about $17 that I came up with.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2144 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

This is a Los Angeles Metro TAP card, and they don't do refunds as far as I know, but it might come in handy for trips downtown to the museums, and my company pays 75 percent anyway, so it is only about $17 that I came up with.

Nice! Sounds good to me

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2145 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »
MPP: I have a "fun money" account for spending that doesn't really fit in my budget. Only between some medical expenses and a vacation, I've overspent it and now have a note to myself that my fun money account owes my checking account $1200. I felt so bad about this, I had to a section to my budget spreadsheet showing my savings YTD. The amount I owe myself is insignificant compared to the savings, and I owe it to *myself*, but I still feel a little bad.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #2146 on: November 03, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
MPP: I have a "fun money" account for spending that doesn't really fit in my budget. Only between some medical expenses and a vacation, I've overspent it and now have a note to myself that my fun money account owes my checking account $1200. I felt so bad about this, I had to a section to my budget spreadsheet showing my savings YTD. The amount I owe myself is insignificant compared to the savings, and I owe it to *myself*, but I still feel a little bad.

You classify your medical expenses under "fun money?!?"  Wow, you are taking frugality to a whole new level...

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #2147 on: November 03, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »

You classify your medical expenses under "fun money?!?"  Wow, you are taking frugality to a whole new level...

I'm guessing OP had a large medical expense that didn't fit in the budget and took from the fun money to pay the bill. But, perhaps you realize this and were just being funny.....  It's so hard to tell on the internet......

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2148 on: November 03, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
When I buy a bike trailer so my car can collect dust - and I still feel a bit bad about spending the money.

jordanread

« Reply #2149 on: November 03, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »

I'm guessing OP had a large medical expense that didn't fit in the budget and took from the fun money to pay the bill. But, perhaps you realize this and were just being funny.....  It's so hard to tell on the internet......

Honestly, I just thought that merula had really good times!!