Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 863377 times)

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2100 on: October 17, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »
I got a really good deal on something my wife wanted, so I ordered it now and told her she could have her Christmas gift now or wait two months.  She opted to get her gift now and another one at Christmas :-(

Dude, you gotta stick to you guns! You can't let people have their cake and eat it! It's not good for either of you.

Oh, she's getting socks.  I guarantee it.

Or maybe a little something that's really for me ;-)
So if you get her a gift that's really for you, that takes her off the hook to get you a gift, right?

I'm totally hoping for a pair of socks this year.  Which might be my own little mustachian problem.

Bu the time she opens it, it will be too late.  I will already have my gift.

Of course my other mustachian problem is that there's nothing I really want

Sounds like you should wish for an "forgive me" card.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2101 on: October 18, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »
When you can't find a used copy of the book you want and sixteen people have reserved it ahead of you at the library so you buy a new copy.
Buy 2, donate one to the library

A more Mustachian approach:  Buy one, read it, then donate it to the library.

Don't do that. They'll just sell it at the book sale for a dollar or two.

At least in my library system, we order our books from vendors pre-processed (with the stickers already on, pre-cataloged, etc.). The staff time to process donations to add the collection is more than it would cost us to buy a whole new pre-processed copy. Unless you are donating something that is in high demand and super-rare (the thing that comes to mind is Aladdin on DVD... our copies all wore out, we can't buy new ones, and now we have 300-some holds on our last 2 copies), don't expect the library to keep it.

Get on the hold list and wait your damn turn :-). It'll come eventually!

IMO its worth waiting a loooong time for a book, rather than pay and donate ( I don't clutter my home ). I was number 162 wait listed for Marie Kondos book abd took 6 months fir my turn. Well worth it (plus blogs and thread here gav me plenty of info).
So unless I NEED it right away I will wait. And read ALOT of other great books first :) .

Funnily enough it is Marie Kondo's book! 16 reservations x 3 week loan = a 48 week wait! I can't wait a year for this one. And if it's as good as everyone says it is I'll want to read it more than once. (That's my standard judgement for keeping my books in the house: if I want to read it more than once, it stays. I have 1.3 bookcases . It works.)

Also, I don't think my library does donations. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere, and surely that would be opening the floodgates to everyone's shitty half-eaten paperbacks to be dumped on the library.

Rubic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2102 on: October 18, 2015, 06:47:44 AM »
Funnily enough it is Marie Kondo's book! 16 reservations x 3 week loan = a 48 week wait! I can't wait a year for this one. And if it's as good as everyone says it is I'll want to read it more than once. (That's my standard judgement for keeping my books in the house: if I want to read it more than once, it stays. I have 1.3 bookcases . It works.)

I ordered the Kindle edition of this book and read through it twice.  Highly recommended!  My sister is reading it now.

I was pretty far along this path before reading Kondo's book, but it helped tweak my methodology with some useful tactics.  I wrote out a couple pages of notes during my second reading.

frugalparagon

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #2103 on: October 18, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
Also, I don't think my library does donations. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere, and surely that would be opening the floodgates to everyone's shitty half-eaten paperbacks to be dumped on the library.

Some smaller systems don't take donations. We don't advertise it, so if you're ever doing a purge, just ask. (I think we limit it to 2 boxes at a time to the branches and maybe more if you go to the main library.) We don't take textbooks or magazine, which I think are pretty common limitations.

Crappy paperbacks go right in the book disposal boxes. I think we sell those by weight to a recycler, so it still benefits the library. Dunno about your old CDs. Those might cost us to discard?
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2104 on: October 18, 2015, 01:52:39 PM »
When you can't find a used copy of the book you want and sixteen people have reserved it ahead of you at the library so you buy a new copy.

At least in my library system, we order our books from vendors pre-processed (with the stickers already on, pre-cataloged, etc.). The staff time to process donations to add the collection is more than it would cost us to buy a whole new pre-processed copy. Unless you are donating something that is in high demand and super-rare (the thing that comes to mind is Aladdin on DVD... our copies all wore out, we can't buy new ones, and now we have 300-some holds on our last 2 copies), don't expect the library to keep it.

IMO its worth waiting a loooong time for a book, rather than pay and donate ( I don't clutter my home ). I was number 162 wait listed for Marie Kondos book abd took 6 months fir my turn. Well worth it (plus blogs and thread here gav me plenty of info).
So unless I NEED it right away I will wait. And read ALOT of other great books first :) .

Wait depends how many copies are in your libraries system . I think there were 16 in mine. I was number 162 on waitlist and got it in 6 months.
Also, I really did have 90% of the information by the time I got the book. I had already used her method by then to "tidy," aka do a massive declutter.

Maaike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2105 on: October 18, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »

Wait depends how many copies are in your libraries system . I think there were 16 in mine. I was number 162 on waitlist and got it in 6 months.
Also, I really did have 90% of the information by the time I got the book. I had already used her method by then to "tidy," aka do a massive declutter.
Maybe someone you know has the MK book and you can borrow it from them?

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #2106 on: October 19, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
You probably won't have to wait that long. Many people will just buy the book and cancel their hold, the library will acquire more copies, or people won't pick up their hold from the library. I've been on several very long hold lists and they never take as long as the straight calculation. Though I was next in line for one book that someone else lost. The library said they have to wait SIX months before replacing it!

I ordered the Kindle edition of this book and read through it twice.  Highly recommended!  My sister is reading it now.

I was pretty far along this path before reading Kondo's book, but it helped tweak my methodology with some useful tactics.  I wrote out a couple pages of notes during my second reading.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2107 on: October 19, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »
Seriously, y'all, I've already bought the book! This is Mustachian People Problems for FUN! I get that I might not have to wait a year but the library only has one copy and even if half of the people drop out that's still six months - I'd wait that for misc fiction but not for something I want to action to improve my life. I hope it'll be £8.56 well spent.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2108 on: October 19, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Seriously, y'all, I've already bought the book! This is Mustachian People Problems for FUN! I get that I might not have to wait a year but the library only has one copy and even if half of the people drop out that's still six months - I'd wait that for misc fiction but not for something I want to action to improve my life. I hope it'll be £8.56 well spent.

And if it isn't, there's clearly a resale market.
(I bought it, too.)

a-scho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2109 on: October 19, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »

Buy it used from Half/Ebay/Amazon, read it, then sell it back, recouping most/all of the cost. If it is a popular book, Costco might sell it for about 25% off list price and they are in brand new condition. I did that a few years ago when I was unwilling to wait for one of the Hunger Games books from the library. I bought it at Costco for about $10 and then sold it on Half.com for about $8. Nowadays, I can get the same book at my local thrift store for 25 cents. :/

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #2110 on: October 19, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »
Just made a large student loan payment.  When I clicked submit, a warning popped up that read "Warning: Your payment exceeds $1,000.00."  I had to go to the time and effort of checking the box that says "do not warn me again."  I plan to make many of those types of payments in the months to come!

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #2111 on: October 20, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »
Re: books and the library

I kind of have the opposite "problem". There is this book series that I love, and everytime a new book comes out (every 1-2 years), I go to the library and re-borrow the entire series. To the point that I recognize half the stamps on the library book card to be mine.

I'd like to think that not enough people are reading the series. #too cheap to buy books

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2112 on: October 20, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
I have another library problem. I've lived in this new town for just over a year so the library is still fairly new. Every time I go I say to myself, "OK, just a few this time, only as many as you can read" but They have such great books and I keep discovering new brilliant subsections that I get overwhelmed by book greed and then get home and feel slightly sick when I look at the eight books I brought home, as if I just are a whole cake but with books.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2113 on: October 20, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »
I have another library problem. I've lived in this new town for just over a year so the library is still fairly new. Every time I go I say to myself, "OK, just a few this time, only as many as you can read" but They have such great books and I keep discovering new brilliant subsections that I get overwhelmed by book greed and then get home and feel slightly sick when I look at the eight books I brought home, as if I just are a whole cake but with books.

I do that too! Every time. And.. I sometimes already have a stack

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2114 on: October 21, 2015, 03:54:41 AM »
Ahaha!

In my school time I had a simple method of restraining: My backpack was exactly as big as I could read in a month. So I drove once a month to the library, put it full and that was it.  Mostly it worked out to be within 3 days of target day.

Apples

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2115 on: October 21, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »

I made an account on Goodreads for this exact problem!  Soooo many books out there, and I don't want to forget any of them.  I'm in a small town, so our libraries are small.  I've made a habit of going to bookstores to write down titles to add to my goodreads list.  Then when I'm in the mood for that kind of book, I put it on hold at our library.  I think I have over 200 books on my To Read list on goodreads.

Rubic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2116 on: October 21, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
Today's Mustachian Problem:

Paying my annual homeowner's policy with a credit card today to meet my minimum spend for bonus miles.

Agent:  "But this doesn't need to be paid until next month!"

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • part pragmatist, part dreamer
« Reply #2117 on: October 21, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »

I made an account on Goodreads for this exact problem!  Soooo many books out there, and I don't want to forget any of them.  I'm in a small town, so our libraries are small.  I've made a habit of going to bookstores to write down titles to add to my goodreads list.  Then when I'm in the mood for that kind of book, I put it on hold at our library.  I think I have over 200 books on my To Read list on goodreads.

This makes me glad my library's online system has a wish list feature. Partly because the thoughts of 'oh yes that book that was recommended - wonder if the library has it' happen between 9p and 2a.  Make it easy when I know I'll be looking for a book to read a few days before I go to the site, place a hold on a book in my wish list, then find my way to the library for pick up.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2118 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »

You think you have problems, I bought some swim gloves in Aug, I just noticed I wore a hole
through one finger tip by pushing of the wall in the pool. These cost me $4.46!
  No more pushing of the wall for me.  :-)
                                     Mikek 
Can you mend it?

No, but it's neoprene, so it won't get any bigger.

Although- what exactly is the benefit of swim gloves? I've never seen anyone at our pool in gloves.

They make your hand bigger and harder to push through the water.
They are webbed
 I swim 1 to 2 miles four days a week, I try to make it a good workout,
pushing full strokes through the water with gloves on does that.
Here's what they look like,
http://tinyurl.com/ozwjbwy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:08:41 PM by Qmavam »

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2119 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
Wow! I'm shocked by this! A bit shocked that someone could not believe you could save up £75,000 by age 30, pretty shocked that 90 days is the furthest they check back, and TOTALLY shocked that you bought a house for £75k! (Presume in UK because in £.) WHERE???
It's mostly idiots who had a 30min mandatory training  video on "know your customer/money laundering" and believed it.

We owed a £10 fee to the estate agent (realtor) for a copy of a lost key or something trivial - they wouldn't take cash because  "it's against the law" we had to write a cheque !

Sometime in the 90's while buying our third house with an FHA loan, the loan officer brought us back three times, each time wanting older records showing we had been saving the down payment money and it was not a loan we had to payback.

We moved from one state to another, my wife and I went to bank to open an account, we had a check for
$65k to deposit in the new account. They refused to open the account. I didn't want any money, I just wanted to open an account. I went to a bank a 1/4  mile away and got a new account without a problem.

OT.
 While buying our first home in "84"? when a 30 year mortgage was 16.75%, I wanted to get a subsidized
loan from the state at 9%. But, because we were savers and had $20k+ in an account at about 10%, our income was too high, but only by the amount we earned on our savings. We were punished by the state for trying to help outselves.
MY POLITICS CHANGED THAT DAY!  It still ticks me off 31 years later. Oooooommmm. :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2120 on: October 21, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
Wow! I'm shocked by this! A bit shocked that someone could not believe you could save up £75,000 by age 30, pretty shocked that 90 days is the furthest they check back, and TOTALLY shocked that you bought a house for £75k! (Presume in UK because in £.) WHERE???
It's mostly idiots who had a 30min mandatory training  video on "know your customer/money laundering" and believed it.

We owed a £10 fee to the estate agent (realtor) for a copy of a lost key or something trivial - they wouldn't take cash because  "it's against the law" we had to write a cheque !

Sometime in the 90's while buying our third house with an FHA loan, the loan officer brought us back three times, each time wanting older records showing we had been saving the down payment money and it was not a loan we had to payback.

We moved from one state to another, my wife and I went to bank to open an account, we had a check for
$65k to deposit in the new account. They refused to open the account. I didn't want any money, I just wanted to open an account. I went to a bank a 1/4  mile away and got a new account without a problem.

OT.
 While buying our first home in "84"? when a 30 year mortgage was 16.75%, I wanted to get a subsidized
loan from the state at 9%. But, because we were savers and had $20k+ in an account at about 10%, our income was too high, but only by the amount we earned on our savings. We were punished by the state for trying to help outselves.
MY POLITICS CHANGED THAT DAY!  It still ticks me off 31 years later. Oooooommmm. :-)

I had this problem with buying out house after our wedding.  We got some decent sized cash gifts-- nothing crazy but enough to raise a red flag about our down payment source.  But we are still talking a small fraction of the down payment and they made us get signed letter showing the money was a gift not a loan.  It was mostly ridiculous because my brokerage accounts have enough to buy the house outright,AND our DTI was low enough that even if the cash was a loan we would still qualify for the mortgage.  I asked them just to run " worst case" numbers without the letters but they made us get the letter

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #2121 on: October 21, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »

. . .

. . .

I had this problem with buying out house after our wedding.  We got some decent sized cash gifts-- nothing crazy but enough to raise a red flag about our down payment source.  But we are still talking a small fraction of the down payment and they made us get signed letter showing the money was a gift not a loan.  It was mostly ridiculous because my brokerage accounts have enough to buy the house outright,AND our DTI was low enough that even if the cash was a loan we would still qualify for the mortgage.  I asked them just to run " worst case" numbers without the letters but they made us get the letter

This is not an issue of amount of debt, this is an issue of lien priority on the house. 

The bank is willing to lend you the purchase money on the house on the condition that it receives a first-priority lien to secure the obligation.  If someone else lends you money for the "down payment" there is the chance that other lender would file a deed of trust securing the down payment loan.  If this were to happen, the bank could suddenly find itself with a second priority lien, depending upon the specific rules of state law.  That is a much more vulnerable position for the bank to be in, regardless of the size of the "down payment" loan.  Sure getting the letters is a hassle, but it is absolutely necessary for the bank to do this as a matter of course to protect its rights to the collateral securing its loans. 

EDITED to fix quote references.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:10:18 PM by AlwaysLearningToSave »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2122 on: October 21, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
My BotaBox red wine doesn't taste as rich as normal, because my house is 62F, so it's too cold. =( Red wine is really best a little bit above room temperature... not 10 degrees below it.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

rantk81

• Stubble
« Reply #2123 on: October 21, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »
My BotaBox red wine doesn't taste as rich as normal, because my house is 62F, so it's too cold. =( Red wine is really best a little bit above room temperature... not 10 degrees below it.

My problem is that my $2.89 Aldi Red Wine (Shiraz) is almost empty this evening! :D

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2124 on: October 21, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »

My problem is that my $2.89 Aldi Red Wine (Shiraz) is almost empty this evening! :D

Oh, I did have one of those problems too. My Grocery Outlet $3.99 imported Rioja is empty =( So BotaBox it is!
...I swear I don't drink THAT much.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2125 on: October 21, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »

. . .

. . .

This is not an issue of amount of debt, this is an issue of lien priority on the house. 

The bank is willing to lend you the purchase money on the house on the condition that it receives a first-priority lien to secure the obligation.  If someone else lends you money for the "down payment" there is the chance that other lender would file a deed of trust securing the down payment loan.  If this were to happen, the bank could suddenly find itself with a second priority lien, depending upon the specific rules of state law.  That is a much more vulnerable position for the bank to be in, regardless of the size of the "down payment" loan.  Sure getting the letters is a hassle, but it is absolutely necessary for the bank to do this as a matter of course to protect its rights to the collateral securing its loans. 

What I'm saying is that it's not reasonable to worry that I took out a bunch of loans that sum to <1% of the home value when I have the funds to buy the home in cash.  From experience, I know banks don't require that every single dollar you have in your checking account be traced -- I had several expense reimbursement checks and cash deposits that I didn't have to explain. 

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2126 on: October 22, 2015, 07:27:13 AM »

. . .

. . .

What I'm saying is that it's not reasonable to worry that I took out a bunch of loans that sum to <1% of the home value when I have the funds to buy the home in cash.  From experience, I know banks don't require that every single dollar you have in your checking account be traced -- I had several expense reimbursement checks and cash deposits that I didn't have to explain.

I happen to know someone with a multi-million dollar trust fund.  They recently had their utilities shut off for nonpayment.  Oh, and recently evicted from their home.  Wtf?
Lesson learned: just because someone has money doesn't mean that they will spend it on their obligations.
I'll bet the bank learned this too.  I can't fault them for being cautious, but what an annoyance for responsible folks like us.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #2127 on: October 22, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
Stopping shopping at Goodwill because it doesn't seem right anymore to buy nice clothes there, as for someone that's the only way they can afford nice clothes.
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2128 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:06 AM »
Stopping shopping at Goodwill because it doesn't seem right anymore to buy nice clothes there, as for someone that's the only way they can afford nice clothes.

Please keep shopping goodwill.  There is more than enough excess. You have no need to feel guilty or too well off for shopping second hand.

You can research it more thoroughly but here's an article from the top of Google. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fashion/2012/06/the_salvation_army_and_goodwill_inside_the_places_your_clothes_go_when_you_donate_them_.html

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2129 on: October 22, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »

Please keep shopping goodwill.  There is more than enough excess. You have no need to feel guilty or too well off for shopping second hand.

You can research it more thoroughly but here's an article from the top of Google. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fashion/2012/06/the_salvation_army_and_goodwill_inside_the_places_your_clothes_go_when_you_donate_them_.html

Thanks for the education :) Very interesting.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2130 on: October 22, 2015, 08:43:40 AM »

Ah, but if you buy them, then re-donate them while they're still on good condition, you've essentially had them on loan, and donated to goodwill, and then they still have the good stock on hand. And I bet it's still cheaper to do that than to buy that stuff new.

rantk81

• Stubble
« Reply #2131 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:55 AM »
I go to thrift stores to buy clothes/materials for one-time-use halloween costumes.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #2132 on: October 22, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »

Interesting read, thanx! "Most Americans are thoroughly convinced there is another person in their direct vicinity who truly needs and wants our unwanted clothes. This couldn’t be further from the truth. " was exactly my problem.
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2133 on: October 22, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
There are too many beautiful free campsites at a nearby land reclamation project for me to ever camp at each and every one, even if I went back every month for the rest of my life.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2134 on: October 22, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
That was an interesting read in re: second-hand clothes. Seems like there must be a better way to do things, but I guess the answer to that is mostly for everyone to stop buying so many damn clothes.

MPP: I've had this nagging feeling all week that there's too much money in my checking account. Like there is something I forgot to pay or a check I wrote that didn't get cashed. Couldn't find anything. Then I realized that my bank has been having issues with Mint for almost a week and it hasn't updated my checking account balances. So I check my bank website. The balance is $80 higher than Mint has been reporting because the only transaction in the last week was a credit card cash back rewards deposit. So now I'm back to wondering why I have so much money in the bank. Maybe I'm not spending enough ;-)
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2135 on: October 22, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »
That was an interesting read in re: second-hand clothes. Seems like there must be a better way to do things, but I guess the answer to that is mostly for everyone to stop buying so many damn clothes.

MPP: I've had this nagging feeling all week that there's too much money in my checking account. Like there is something I forgot to pay or a check I wrote that didn't get cashed. Couldn't find anything. Then I realized that my bank has been having issues with Mint for almost a week and it hasn't updated my checking account balances. So I check my bank website. The balance is $80 higher than Mint has been reporting because the only transaction in the last week was a credit card cash back rewards deposit. So now I'm back to wondering why I have so much money in the bank. Maybe I'm not spending enough ;-)

Time to get a bank other than Chase ;).

MPP: World Series tickets are expensive, but when your team only shows up there once every generation, you go (plus, with moving next year, this will be the last time for a long time I'll be able to attend a game). $1500 per ticket for decent seats!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2136 on: October 22, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »
But they gave me $200 when I signed up last year! ;-)

Your $1500 baseball tickets are making me feel better about my *quick calculation* ~$550 worth of concert tickets currently in hand. I'm getting roughly 20 hours of live music out of that, you're getting one baseball game... yikes.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2137 on: October 22, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
But they gave me $200 when I signed up last year! ;-)

Your $1500 baseball tickets are making me feel better about my *quick calculation* ~$550 worth of concert tickets currently in hand. I'm getting roughly 20 hours of live music out of that, you're getting one baseball game... yikes.

Now there's always a chance I get 36 hours of baseball out of it. I hope not, but it's possible.

DeepEllumStache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Formerly of the Deep Ellum Variety
« Reply #2138 on: October 22, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »

MPP: World Series tickets are expensive, but when your team only shows up there once every generation, you go (plus, with moving next year, this will be the last time for a long time I'll be able to attend a game). $1500 per ticket for decent seats!

Same issue is happening with the Chase credit cards. MPP: I have to log into both Mint and the Chase website to keep tabs the spend related to my latest credit card churn until they fix the issue.
And a journal because I #REF occasionally

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2139 on: October 22, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »
Now there's always a chance I get 36 hours of baseball out of it. I hope not, but it's possible.

The diminishing returns on dollar-per-hour of a baseball game turn into negative returns around about hour 5, I would think...

Same for concerts, really, but that's why I spent $550 on many different short/inexpensive concerts and not one long one ;-) 

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2140 on: October 22, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »

The diminishing returns on dollar-per-hour of a baseball game turn into negative returns around about hour 5, I would think...

Same for concerts, really, but that's why I spent $550 on many different short/inexpensive concerts and not one long one ;-)

Turns out I only got $1000 tickets (stepdad will pay me back for his), about $1,150 after fees. Will show up 2:30 early to catch BP and some autographs :).

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2141 on: October 22, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
Turns out I only got $1000 tickets (stepdad will pay me back for his), about $1,150 after fees. Will show up 2:30 early to catch BP and some autographs :).

Just talked to another friend and he got a ticket for $250. Should I have him deliver your facepunch in person at the game? ;-)

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2142 on: October 22, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »

Just talked to another friend and he got a ticket for $250. Should I have him deliver your facepunch in person at the game? ;-)

Face has been thuroughly punched. I don't know anyone who has the tickets, so third party sites are my only option :/.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2143 on: October 22, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »
If it makes you feel better, he once told me he spends $1k a month on car payments and insurance.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2144 on: October 22, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
If it makes you feel better, he once told me he spends $1k a month on car payments and insurance.

Holy shit. Just throwin' that out there. I've saved ~$2500 this year by bringing my lunch to work. Now I have a relatable reason to give non-mustachian coworkers ;).

On another note, I don't have car finance payments, just part payments :P. Nowhere near $1k/month... Maybe $1k a year? I haven't tracked enough years to know yet.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2145 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »

I'm having issues with Chase too! Quicken isn't downloading my transactions. Maybe I should call the bank...

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2146 on: October 23, 2015, 12:53:37 PM »

I'm having issues with Chase too! Quicken isn't downloading my transactions. Maybe I should call the bank...

Wife: I guess I'll start using the Barclaycard instead, since that works in Mint.

Chase will take it where it hurts... all $2 of it.

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2147 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:18 AM »
I wasn't planning to do any shopping this weekend, so when the kid came and requested we go buy stuff for halloween, I tried saying "oh, we don't have any money now, we have to wait for the next paycheck". She just looked at me like I was crazy and told me to stop kidding. Oh well, that is what you get for teaching them not to live paycheck to paycheck.

So now we have written a shopping list, compared it to the grocery and fun budgets, and are getting ready to go to the store. Because she was right, we don't have any time next week to do grocery or halloween shopping.
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #2148 on: October 26, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
When you see that that thing you wanted for a while is 50% off, but you STILL know it's a luxury you don't need.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2149 on: October 26, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
When you don't spend nearly enough money a month to hit the really good credit card signup bonuses, so you have to figure out how to game the system to pay rent/student loans via credit card just to get close.
My favorite Mustachian credit card:
6% cashback on groceries,
3% on gas and select department stores,
1% on everything else. 

Doesn't get better than that!