Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086721 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7100 on: January 19, 2020, 03:34:50 PM »
The bruises I got on my arms from fixing the washing machine myself.

Hahha, this made me chuckle. I've had many, many mustachian bruises.

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #7101 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:22 PM »
they would quality for a mortgage on an existing home twice as high as the mortgage they are requesting now
Ah yes.

Rule number one: The bank is not your friend. Any financing you happen to get is a bonus. Don't expect mortgages to be easy, especially in the future...

Rule number two: Bank employees, like government employees, are not there to make your life easier. They aren't malicious (mostly), but it is just up to you to figure out the system, because they (probably) won't really help you.

Rule number three: Occasionally you meet awesome helpful people, but don't count on it.

It all comes back to the basic Mustachian truism: You make your own luck!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7102 on: January 21, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »
they would quality for a mortgage on an existing home twice as high as the mortgage they are requesting now
Ah yes.

Rule number one: The bank is not your friend. Any financing you happen to get is a bonus. Don't expect mortgages to be easy, especially in the future...

Rule number two: Bank employees, like government employees, are not there to make your life easier. They aren't malicious (mostly), but it is just up to you to figure out the system, because they (probably) won't really help you.

Rule number three: Occasionally you meet awesome helpful people, but don't count on it.

It all comes back to the basic Mustachian truism: You make your own luck!

So true! First home I bought I had over 20% down and kept wondering when they would ask me how much I wanted to put down. Kept going through the process for six weeks or so and get to closing and it's a little over 3% and I'm thinking okay, I guess I'll just put that down and maybe use the money for something else or pay down the mortgage later. Turns out of course they roped me into PMI and I didn't discover this for about three years until I got a clue. Never once did they bring up I could save a boatload of money with a bigger down payment. Seems like that's the first thing you'd tell somebody.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7103 on: January 21, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
The free, mostly unmaintained, app that I've been using for the last five years to organize recipes and create shopping lists announced via email yesterday that they were moving to a subscription model.  I'm perturbed for a few reasons.  The first is the developers basically ghosted the app for more than two years and are now surprising everyone with this.  Secondly, if I'd seen some sign of new development (or, you know, fixing the problems with the current app) I might be willing to pay for it, but given the past flakiness I'm not at all convinced that any new development will take place.  For that matter, I'd be perfectly happy to use an as-is, ad-supported version and their advanced features could be a subscription-based add-on.  Third, why in the world would anyone use a $36/year product when a similar enough product exists for a $5 one-time fee?  Finally, the email that everyone got says "But, don't worry, if you decide to activate your subscription at a later date, your recipes will be waiting for you."  That just feels like they are trying to hold our recipes hostage (there is no native export option, though there are a couple of ways around this). 

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7104 on: January 21, 2020, 08:50:13 AM »
The free, mostly unmaintained, app that I've been using for the last five years to organize recipes and create shopping lists announced via email yesterday that they were moving to a subscription model.  I'm perturbed for a few reasons.  The first is the developers basically ghosted the app for more than two years and are now surprising everyone with this.  Secondly, if I'd seen some sign of new development (or, you know, fixing the problems with the current app) I might be willing to pay for it, but given the past flakiness I'm not at all convinced that any new development will take place.  For that matter, I'd be perfectly happy to use an as-is, ad-supported version and their advanced features could be a subscription-based add-on.  Third, why in the world would anyone use a $36/year product when a similar enough product exists for a $5 one-time fee?  Finally, the email that everyone got says "But, don't worry, if you decide to activate your subscription at a later date, your recipes will be waiting for you."  That just feels like they are trying to hold our recipes hostage (there is no native export option, though there are a couple of ways around this).

My family uses Google Docs and Google Keep to share and organize lists and things... no cost!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7105 on: January 21, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

My family uses Google Docs and Google Keep to share and organize lists and things... no cost!

I've looked into that.  I have found an app that is currently free and will import recipes from the other app.  I suspect that he's going to get a huge bump in bandwidth soon because of this and will have to start charging too.  But at least he has an export option with a couple of different formats.  I'd started building an Access dB to hold my recipes and create my shopping lists (this is the most important feature to me), but actually getting all  400+ recipes that I'd collected into it has proven difficult.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7106 on: January 21, 2020, 11:50:57 AM »

I've looked into that.  I have found an app that is currently free and will import recipes from the other app.  I suspect that he's going to get a huge bump in bandwidth soon because of this and will have to start charging too.  But at least he has an export option with a couple of different formats.  I'd started building an Access dB to hold my recipes and create my shopping lists (this is the most important feature to me), but actually getting all  400+ recipes that I'd collected into it has proven difficult.

We use Our Groceries for shopping lists.  It's free and it syncs with multiple devices and updates in real time.  We have on going lists for a number of stores.

For recipes we use a combination of allrecipes and printed hard copies.  We also usually put it into an email and email it to ourselves in case we ever need it in the future.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #7107 on: January 21, 2020, 12:02:52 PM »
My Mustachian problem: Not being able to wear certain outfits that I want to wear because I have to cycle everywhere, because we don't have a car. And I'm too cheap for a Lyft or public transportation. Those costs add up!

@Sugaree  It's a small fee (but one-time/lifetime) per device ($4.99) but my husband and I did some research on meal planning apps (that help manage shopping lists) and we settled on Paprika. However, you only need one account and can sync to all devices, so it's pretty nice. I think if you have IOS/apple phones you can just share the app instead of re-buying them on multiple phones via family sharing (of apps). Unfortunately Android phones/Google does not allow family sharing of many apps including this. The app is totally worth it, though.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7108 on: January 21, 2020, 12:04:50 PM »
My Mustachian problem: Not being able to wear certain outfits that I want to wear because I have to cycle everywhere, because we don't have a car. And I'm too cheap for a Lyft or public transportation. Those costs add up!

We just put a change of clothes in the panniers.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7109 on: January 21, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
@imadandylion, I looked at the demo version of Paprika last night.  I do like almost everything about it and would actually be willing to pay a one time fee for it.  I especially like the in-app browser and recipe import.  So easy.  Right now though, I've settled on RecipeSage because I was able to import my recipes into it.  I may end up using them in conjunction with each other for awhile. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7110 on: January 21, 2020, 06:33:52 PM »

I have this problem with walking everywhere.  Particularly because I have had surgery on my feet so definitely never walk any distance in anything other than athletic shoes with custom orthotics.  But if we are going out to a nice dinner or event, I'd like to wear something nicer!  I don't have a purse big enough to put my athletic shoes in when I get to a restaurant (nor often the space in the restaurant to put a purse that's big enough!), but if an event has a coat check, I do do that.  Otherwise, I very rarely dress up nowadays because everywhere we go requires walking to get there, so I just don't get to :(

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #7111 on: January 21, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »

Not really practical to change every time though if you're meeting up with people, going to an event, etc.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #7112 on: January 21, 2020, 09:42:29 PM »
Had a baby this year and forgot to re-do W4s, so unlike most people who'd be thrilled at a surprisingly large refund, I'm annoyed at myself for giving the government an interest-free loan.

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7113 on: January 22, 2020, 09:08:33 PM »
Despite recklessly buying whatever fancy treats I felt like having over the holidays and a few monster meals out, I'm behind schedule [clarity edit: underbudget] since the summer in spending on car maintenance, gas, entertainment, alcohol, restaurants, and groceries, even on a fairly mustachian budget of about $310/mo for all the above... but significantly overbudget on charity. (Best kind of oops?)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:39:21 PM by eyesonthehorizon »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7114 on: January 24, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/reachrachelkahn/status/1219974522792808448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1219974522792808448&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgod.dailydot.com%2Fhr-letter-employee-car%2F

Not sure if the link will work, but MPP : employer assumes financial problems because you drive an ugly old beater.  Of course they should be more concerned about the people who have expensive car payments and mortgages...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7115 on: January 24, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/reachrachelkahn/status/1219974522792808448

Not sure if the link will work, but MPP : employer assumes financial problems because you drive an ugly old beater.  Of course they should be more concerned about the people who have expensive car payments and mortgages...

There has been some speculation that that is fake:
https://jalopnik.com/that-awful-email-about-an-employees-old-car-may-not-be-1841161501

Discussion on these forums:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/'it's-perfectly-legal-for-your-boss-to-tell-you-to-drive-a-nicer-car'/

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7116 on: January 24, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »

Not really practical to change every time though if you're meeting up with people, going to an event, etc.

What kind of clothes can't you wear if you're on a bike??

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7117 on: January 24, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »
We bought a pan when we moved into this condo ~18 months ago, but the non stick is already coming off the bottom. I went out and about, determined to spend real money on a pan that would last longer than that. The pan I liked the size and shape of the best was sitting below a sign that said $29.99. Oh, well, I thought, I hope it lasts at least a couple of years until we can move back on the boat, where already we have a complete set of good pans. When I got to check out, it was $10 off, for some reason. I can't even spend money when I try.

Yes, I keep the good pans on the boat. That is home and I have carefully chosen pans that fit in the odd spaces available on a boat.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7118 on: January 24, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »

Yes, I keep the good pans on the boat. That is home and I have carefully chosen pans that fit in the odd spaces available on a boat.
[/quote

I'm with you on keeping the good pans on the boat. Because it's home. Same reason we have things like linen napkins and real plates. Hope to share an anchorage with you sometime soon!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7119 on: January 24, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »

How about nearly every item of a corporate women's wardrobe? As well as getting helmet hair and having to fix makeup every time you get off the damn thing. Some of us are expected to present a certain way, and bikes are just not practical as a mode of transport during the day. To and from work, maybe.... IF you're prepared to drag all your makeup and hair stuff around with you AND don't wear anything that requires ironing.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7120 on: January 24, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »

How about nearly every item of a corporate women's wardrobe? As well as getting helmet hair and having to fix makeup every time you get off the damn thing. Some of us are expected to present a certain way, and bikes are just not practical as a mode of transport during the day. To and from work, maybe.... IF you're prepared to drag all your makeup and hair stuff around with you AND don't wear anything that requires ironing.

Ehhh, I think that's very location-dependent. I've seen plenty of corporate-looking women (and men) on bikes throughout most of Europe, as well as a lot of Asia. Somehow they figure out how to do it. Even in my city, in the corporate offices I've worked in there have always been women who biked to work - they mostly just kept both their clothing and personal stuff at work.

Some women also just say "fuck you" to the makeup/hair industry and opt out entirely. I personally haven't put on makeup in like, 15+ years - my boyfriend of ten years has literally seen me with makeup on once, when someone did a makeup demonstration on me, and I've worked in fancy corporate offices for the last eight or nine years without issues.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7121 on: January 24, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »
Some women also just say "fuck you" to the makeup/hair industry and opt out entirely. I personally haven't put on makeup in like, 15+ years - my boyfriend of ten years has literally seen me with makeup on once, when someone did a makeup demonstration on me, and I've worked in fancy corporate offices for the last eight or nine years without issues.
I think I've seen my wife with makeup only 2 or 3 times in the sixteen years I've known her, and one of those was our wedding. I much prefer her without it too. She regularly bikes to work where she is expected to be presentable (lots of interactions with other people). Hasn't been a problem, even here in the summer with our high heat/humidity.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7122 on: January 24, 2020, 10:29:58 PM »
Credit union running no fee 3% balance transfer special until the end of the month. Only had 3K parked at 0% until April so transferred that but now wondering what I can pre-buy for the year on another card, transfer balance  to this one to get the 3% then pay it off. I have no debts and no needs. Not good.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7123 on: January 24, 2020, 11:43:41 PM »
Ehhh, I think that's very location-dependent. I've seen plenty of corporate-looking women (and men) on bikes throughout most of Europe, as well as a lot of Asia. Somehow they figure out how to do it.
It's a simple secret, but surprisingly hard to do if you're used to energetic cycling - just ride slowly then you don't get sweaty, but still go 3 times faster than walking.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #7124 on: January 25, 2020, 09:33:17 AM »
Ehhh, I think that's very location-dependent. I've seen plenty of corporate-looking women (and men) on bikes throughout most of Europe, as well as a lot of Asia. Somehow they figure out how to do it.
It's a simple secret, but surprisingly hard to do if you're used to energetic cycling - just ride slowly then you don't get sweaty, but still go 3 times faster than walking.
Completely agree. I biked to work for many years in the dreaded women’s corporate attire. I rode my bike very slowly, carefully avoiding any sweat. When my office was further away, that didn’t work as well. So I simply changed at work. No problem at all.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7125 on: January 25, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »

I'm a women.

I have biked in skirts, shorts, dresses, bikinis, jeans, snowboots, flipflops and so on. I'm in Europe and we're all able to do it. Our prime minister even gets to work by bike. Every woman I know has biked to a corporate job if the distance was doable. Bikes are pretty damn practical. As said by other posters, biking at 10 mile/hr doesn't get you sweaty yet it's 3x faster than walking.

Make up is optional. At least the level of make-up that would get damaged by the average bike ride (assuming no pouring rain ofcourse). If you wonder how I know? People here bike to galas with full make-up and fancy dresses and heels. Personally I'd not like to work in a place where full face make up is expected anyways, unless the guys'd wear it too ;)

Come have a look and see how great bikes are :)

I have to admit in my country we don't wear helmets for biking so that's not a problem, although even with helmet I'd be fine with my own haircut.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7126 on: January 25, 2020, 12:24:57 PM »

Ehhh, I think that's very location-dependent. I've seen plenty of corporate-looking women (and men) on bikes throughout most of Europe, as well as a lot of Asia. Somehow they figure out how to do it. Even in my city, in the corporate offices I've worked in there have always been women who biked to work - they mostly just kept both their clothing and personal stuff at work.

I work at a large law firm and there is a huge spectrum in terms of how "made up" the female lawyers are. Many walk or bike to work and few of us wear makeup on a regular basis or do much to style our hair. My go-to hairstyle is a French braid, since it requires zero styling equipment, won't get tangled or squished under a bike helmet and still looks nice at the office, and I never wear makeup. I keep my work wardrobe at the office and change when I get there...some days. I have days when I'm just working alone in my office all day and I stay in the jeans I wore to bike in.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, though, so the the style expectations are very relaxed.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #7127 on: January 27, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »
Eye rolls abound. I think some people don't understand the last three words of the thread title...

If people don't feel comfortable wearing certain clothes to cycle, that's okay. If it works for you to wear a sequined ball gown to cycle and you feel comfortable in that, then go for it... but don't be surprised when other people would rather wear jeans and a t-shirt or even just lycra. Because people aren't the same. And some people get heated even when they're not cycling fast. It just depends on the clothes, weather, elevation, and general level of exertion. It can't really be generalized.

Climate varies, obviously. I'm not a fair weather cyclist, so I go out in rainstorms and 107+ F degrees alike... I'm definitely going to be wearing practical clothing that still aims to be decorous to where I'm going. Spring here is like 72 degrees for like two days, then usually 85-110 for many, many months. So yeah, regarding comments like, "I'm from _____ country or I've seen whoever cycling in corporate attire." Cool! Me too - I've seen 'salarymen' cycling in a full suit. And eff it, you'd cycle too if you've been on the metro/trains there. But the major difference is that it was fall and they have lots of nice residential alleys to cycle through, whereas some people have to cycle in the street and fall is just a limited time of the year. So the expectation/attitude of, "I saw this and everyone should be exactly the same all over the world!" is kind of weird and disregards different situations.

Regarding my initial post, I meant I couldn't wear things like very long (mid-calf) cardigans and coats because they'd either get tangled up when I'm riding or just cause me to overheat, so I just opt for things that are comfortable, still relatively stylish, and doesn't unpractically flap around when I'm trying to cycle. In winter it's tricky because you don't want to wear a lot of clothes while cycling, and when you're off the bike, it's extremely cold so you'll definitely want the coat... and scarf... and boots. Not all clothes are decorous and appropriate. Like, I really like my hot pink sneakers for cycling but they're not really appropriate at work or coordinate well with the outfit, and I have a pair of boots that will work for cycling and walking around but they're not the best and I worry about ruining them, and I *do not* like to repurchase/shop too often and am highly picky. And no, I'm not going to stop caring about how I dress. I get that a lot of people here have such a 'free' life and attitude from such frivolous desires, but I like to look put together, and I don't even have a high bar for style, lol.

And no, not everyone wants to put a rack on their bike, get panniers, or wear a backpack just to go somewhere casually for an hour or two - but sometimes I will bring the backpack if needed. A lot of times I like to be minimalist and only carry my keys and phone around, but like... I'm not getting upset if other people want to carry a purse or backpack around, lol. When I worked at an office with shower/locker room facilities it's totally fine, but I recognize not everyone has the privilege of access to such facilities. I'm not going to cycle in flip flops because let's face it... that's stupid. As is cycling without a helmet. It had to be said. It's less about how it looks and more about practicality, especially in a city riding situation. You could damage your feet.

Regarding makeup, some people want to wear it, some people don't, regardless of their job situation. It's not that big of a deal. If you haven't worn it in a decade+ if ever, good for you. If you wear make up, also good for you! It really doesn't matter about what people think is expected of them at whatever job situation because people are just going to do what they're going to do. Some people want to look a certain way, some people don't care, and some people don't strive for perfection and accept a little frizz here and there, such as myself. You can't change other people by telling them stuff is 'optional,' lol. I think they know, but they're going to do what they want to do.

I don't like this weird standoffish attitude that some cyclists have, it can be off putting to both cyclists and the cycle-curious.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7128 on: January 27, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »
Eye rolls abound. I think some people don't understand the last three words of the thread title...

...snip...

I don't like this weird standoffish attitude that some cyclists have, it can be off putting to both cyclists and the cycle-curious.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #7129 on: January 27, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »

This is a common tone, unfortunately. I know when I write comments like those above I'm trying to convey more of a "Did you know that this was an option since it's not widely talked about?" tone and less of a "It would work if you just tried harder" tone.
It comes from a good place of wanting to show examples of alternatives or challenging the status quo. Similar to how the FIRE tone is initially off-putting to folks.

In fact, the more I think about it, there are some major similarities:
- Stop spending on frivolous things that you won't remember next week --> Don't drive to an errand less than 2 miles away
- Everyone else is in debt, so I don't need to address my hair-on-fire situation --> Everyone else is struggling with weight/mental health/money, so I can continue driving my car. 
- Investing is a sure-fire way to loose money in a market crash --> Biking is a sure-fire way to get hit by a car

I hear ya though, it is a bummer when you just want to wear your new suede boots and you know the snow run-off would ruin them in 2 minutes on commute.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:09:33 PM by GreenToTheCore »

UncleX

• Stubble
« Reply #7130 on: January 28, 2020, 12:44:43 AM »
I'm not going to cycle in flip flops because let's face it... that's stupid. As is cycling without a helmet. It had to be said.
First a whole rant about how not every situation/location/person is the same, and then this…

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7131 on: January 28, 2020, 01:50:04 AM »
When I cycled six miles one way to work, I arrived unpleasantly hot and sweaty every time. FACT. And it took me an hour including unlocking and locking up. FACT. And I had nowhere to shower, store stuff, or change except a toilet cubicle. FACT.

Now people are sat out there thinking "It shouldn't". Well, it did. Sorry. And I know it's just for fun, but Mustachians are often really high up on the cycling/fitness Wheaton scale and have no perspective on what it's like for us lot at the bottom. I'm not saying that therefore I can't ever cycle anywhere, but a bit of empathy for the level of baby steps beginner cyclists require would be nice. Especially when we don't want to spend a lot of money on professional kit in case it doesn't work out. The same with how scary cycling on the road is when you first start.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7132 on: January 28, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
When I cycled six miles one way to work, I arrived unpleasantly hot and sweaty every time. FACT. And it took me an hour including unlocking and locking up. FACT. And I had nowhere to shower, store stuff, or change except a toilet cubicle. FACT.

This

Some of us also have hair that needs to be 'done'. I can't just put it in a ponytail and have it look even clean! Or take off a sweaty helmet, flooff up and go. It requires washing, blowdrying and product every damn day just to look acceptable. Don't tell me to try different styles, or to go without washing for a month and it will rebalance or some bs. Tried all that and everything else over the years. It's just shit hair. If I biked to work, I'd spend the day looking and feeling like I was dragged through a hedge backwards. It's not practical. I've seen plenty of people, male and female, that have managed to bike to work and look fine. They're also the people that look all cool and dry and summery in summer. But pale, cold and tired in winter, hahaha.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #7133 on: January 28, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »

Now people are sat out there thinking "It shouldn't". Well, it did. Sorry. And I know it's just for fun, but Mustachians are often really high up on the cycling/fitness Wheaton scale and have no perspective on what it's like for us lot at the bottom. I'm not saying that therefore I can't ever cycle anywhere, but a bit of empathy for the level of baby steps beginner cyclists require would be nice. Especially when we don't want to spend a lot of money on professional kit in case it doesn't work out. The same with how scary cycling on the road is when you first start.

Agree.  My MPP is definitely that I just haven't been able to bike like I'm "supposed" to. I find it stressful and complicated. I keep thinking I need to just do it more to get over the initial hump, but it's really hard to push myself through the unpleasant beginnings and just hope blindly that it will get better.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7134 on: January 28, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
I'm not going to cycle in flip flops because let's face it... that's stupid. As is cycling without a helmet. It had to be said.
First a whole rant about how not every situation/location/person is the same, and then this…

In the Netherlands, before they changed from car-centric to bike-centric, 400 children died in car accidents per year.
Now they are down to 14. Kids biking to school. Without parents. Or helmet.

It is not "cycling without helmet" that is stupid. It is "having traffic made so that cycling without helmet is dangerous" - that is stupid.

(And if a helmet is making it safer in regards to car drivers is debatable. It has been shown (US) that car drivers drive closer to people with helmets. You may lower your risk of having a serious head injury slightly with a helmet, but it may be outweighted by a higher number of accidents)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7135 on: January 28, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »

This

Some of us also have hair that needs to be 'done'. I can't just put it in a ponytail and have it look even clean! Or take off a sweaty helmet, flooff up and go. It requires washing, blowdrying and product every damn day just to look acceptable. Don't tell me to try different styles, or to go without washing for a month and it will rebalance or some bs. Tried all that and everything else over the years. It's just shit hair. If I biked to work, I'd spend the day looking and feeling like I was dragged through a hedge backwards. It's not practical. I've seen plenty of people, male and female, that have managed to bike to work and look fine. They're also the people that look all cool and dry and summery in summer. But pale, cold and tired in winter, hahaha.
I read an article the other week about how important it is for doctors to talk to black people (especially woman) about hair and exercise. Something I hadn’t appreciated was how that worry can be an impediment to people starting an exercise program, and therefore how important it is to get tips on how to manage hair that might flip out in the presence of sweat/humidity/wind/helmet/whatever.

My husband doesn’t understand why I don’t shower at work after biking in. 1) because I don’t sweat like mad like he does but more importantly 2) it takes me a lot longer than him to get ready. It isn’t just shower, dry off, get dressed as it is for most men.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #7136 on: January 28, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
@GreenToTheCore Thank you for understanding.

@shelivesthedream Yes, same here! When I started cycling I would always show up sweaty regardless of wearing the ideal and minimal cycling clothing. Thank goodness there were showers and a locker so I could actually shower, change, and groom myself. Forgetting important garments like my bra was super fun, and once I had to use loads of toilet paper to prevent a 'scene' in my business-casual dress shirt. Definitely advanced planning required to pack, get up, cycle, change, lock the bike, etc. And fack yes, locking up your bike properly is a pain in the groin! Plus, starting off cycling, for me, was really hard. My glutes, thighs, quads, as well as that part that gets sore when you ride a bike too long hurt for WEEKS... even though I worked out regularly. I did get markedly better at it, and once I invited my husband on a bike ride that included my route to work. He was super tired and had a hard time keeping up, even though I was also trying to be mindful of biking slowly. I was like, 'Welcome to my commute.' Haha. And yes, starting off cycling can be intimidating and not everyone can adopt a 'fuck you' attitude when they cycle. Part of the major reason why I was able to start was because I had a job change and the route was decent, so we had the confidence to ditch the car completely. If I would've had to bike to a prior work place, as much as I would've liked to, it would have involved using the highway, and part of the route would be routinely flooded during the rainy season, being near a river and all. Luckily, now if I want to cycle to work it's much shorter (like 10 minutes) and I generally get away with not showering, but may sweat a little bit, especially whenever I come across what seems to be the only hill in the city.

@AnnaGrowsAMustache +1 for not having effortless hair like everyone else seems to. I also have problematic hair, and it's a pain to have to wash it frequently and restyle if needed. Sometimes on good days I get away with air drying, but if there's humidity in the air, it doesn't matter what I did or didn't do. Even when I don't bike, I have a hard time looking as cool, neat, and collected as everyone else. It's mind-boggling.

@UncleX @LennStar Lol, are people seriously betching at me for saying cycling without a helmet is dumb after betching at me for making an offhand comment about not wanting to wear certain clothes when I still find a way to cycle every day? Maybe ya'll just bopped your heads while cycling without helmets or something... but you do you.

Cycling without a helmet is widely regarded as precarious, I didn't make that up. There's a huge difference between saying, "You should feel comfortable cycling wearing ____!!" vs. "You should  be practical and safe." There's a reason why when you go to a bike store and test ride their bikes, they give you a helmet. It's to limit their liability. And yes, I agree that traffic of the vehicular variety does, in a way, institute helmets for cyclists, but realistically, you can still get hurt even without others involved. You could fall over, hit something, get stuck in a pothole, take an not well-calculated sharp turn, etc. My husband managed to fall over and hurt himself without a car involved. It's not uncommon. And he's a grown-ass man! What about kids, teenagers, etc, who deign to cycle?

While drivers should convert to cyclists so we can all be safer, it's not a close reality. Autonomous vehicles are, though. I recommend the book 'No One At the Wheel,' it also gives an interesting account about bikes way back when and how cars prevailed and bikes are second or maybe even third-class citizens of the road, and how the attitudes of drivers totally changed to being very "me me me," for lack of a more eloquent summary. The helmets don't "make" it safer to be around cars, it just protects your head. So the study cited is very interesting and all, but really all it does it speaks to the idea/correlation that people can be asshole drivers so long as everyone else is protected by head gear, lol. That study's not going to help you for all the other drivers who are just 'regular' types of assholes and will get close to you even without a helmet (why should we forget about those 'regular' assholes just because of one study, amirite?). There's tons of cycling vs cars stuff to bitch about, like, why are street signs designed to be reflective only to the powerful lights of cars' headlights and not that of my puny flashlight, and I'm not so sure if the "helmet usage is debatable!" card is one that's worth it. Plus, we can debate all we want, but let's be real, betching about it in a forum isn't going to help, and you're definitely preaching to the quire regarding the sentiment 'things should be easier for cyclists to get around safely and everyone else has it backwards!!'' You're going to need to go to city meetings, complain to district supervisors, join a bike non-profit, influence urban planners and the AEC industry, etc. It's a crap ton of coordination that involves a lot of people. Good luck convincing developers to change their ways - they basically run some cities, get the rules bent all the time, and ignore the well-written literature from decades and decades ago basically about best management practices for urban planning/design, or basically how to have the best city ever for a healthy, happy population (including cyclists!).

I maintain flip flops are dumb for riding a bike, but maybe that's just because I'm not some effortless graceful gazelle of a mustachian who always does everything perfectly and never has their foot slip the pedal, never gets abrasions on their ankles, always stops riding the bike in the perfect position and never has to adjust the pedal with their foot while they wait for the light to turn green, etc. Or maybe people are simply riding around with fuzzy covers over their pedals instead of the tactile, teeth-like designs that are pedals.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:25:48 PM by imadandylion »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7137 on: January 28, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
So 2019 was a good year for me stash growth-wise.  That resulted in more dividends and also some short term capital gains from an investment that rarely plops those out. 

Hurray more money!  Except that I am FIREd now and want to keep my MAGI low for premium tax credit purposes.  So does that become Boo more money?!?!? 

Now to see what I can shuffle into tIRAs since we got some W-2 income that year.... 

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7138 on: January 28, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »
My MPP is that for the life of me I cannot figure out the new W4. I used the IRS website to generate what my owed tax for the year is, so now I know that, but it doesn;t seem to translate into anything that I can enter into my employers W4 website. The state was redone too and that one's equally as bad.
I normally dial in my exemptions to under withhold for much of the year, then towards the end pay back in. It was easy to add or drop a few deductions. Now I have to see where I come out at with what I've entered, then begin the trial and error process all over again to change it later in the year. DUMB.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #7139 on: January 28, 2020, 04:37:18 PM »
Good post.

... Yes, same here! When I started cycling I would always show up sweaty regardless of wearing the ideal and minimal cycling clothing. ...

Something not much acknowledged in these bike-to-work discussions is humidity.  Biking on the south rim of Grand Canyon in summer I couldn't really perceive I was sweating; it evaporated as soon as it met the air.  But I was once detailed to coastal Georgia, and after hard exercise at lunch, did not cease sweating for 2 - 3 hours.  In that kind of >90% humidity you're forcing it out against very high vapor pressure as your body is trying to restore normal temperature.  I learned to take as cold a shower as I could - the water supply was in an elevated tank and equilibrated to the average annual air temperature, so the C on the tap should have been a T for Tepid - for as long as I could after those sessions, an option unavailable for many at their work, and distasteful to some.

Cycling without a helmet is widely regarded as precarious, I didn't make that up. ...

They cannot very well design for linear or lateral violent deceleration, as there are infinite scenarios and the resulting helmet wouldhave to resemble a motorcyclist's, completely defeating the head's role in maintaining body temperature.   Bicycle helmets are designed to protect during a fall of about 6 feet, which is about a standard average bicyclist's head's distance to ground.  Add me to the list of someone who fell over at minimal speed - think of foot suddenly unseparable from pedal - and has carried a scar from it for decades. But the helmet worked.  I've also been present when a fellow kayaker rolled up with a crazed pattern of cracks in his helmet from collision with a sharp subsurface rock; that worked too.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7140 on: January 28, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
Oh heavens yes on the humidity comment.

I’m a delicate flower so I view heat as offensive and heat+humidity as incompatible with life. Trying to bike midday in Georgia would be an excellent way for me to get a migraine at a minimum, and more probably a good case of heat stroke.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7141 on: January 28, 2020, 08:40:13 PM »

I’m a delicate flower so I view heat as offensive and heat+humidity as incompatible with life. Trying to bike midday in Georgia would be an excellent way for me to get a migraine at a minimum, and more probably a good case of heat stroke.

I firmly believe there are winter people and summer people. I am a winter person. Delicate flower, my arse

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7142 on: January 29, 2020, 12:20:34 AM »
My MPP is that for the life of me I cannot figure out the new W4. I used the IRS website to generate what my owed tax for the year is, so now I know that, but it doesn;t seem to translate into anything that I can enter into my employers W4 website. The state was redone too and that one's equally as bad.
I normally dial in my exemptions to under withhold for much of the year, then towards the end pay back in. It was easy to add or drop a few deductions. Now I have to see where I come out at with what I've entered, then begin the trial and error process all over again to change it later in the year. DUMB.

This year I just gave up an entered 99 exemptions and will make quarterly estimated payments.  That gets you a very tiny extra amount of interest on your paycheck too.

UncleX

• Stubble
« Reply #7143 on: January 29, 2020, 12:21:32 AM »
My post:

Your response:
@UncleXLol, are people seriously betching at me for saying cycling without a helmet is dumb after betching at me for making an offhand comment about not wanting to wear certain clothes when I still find a way to cycle every day?
So no, I am not. I am saying you apply double standards.

Cycling without a helmet is widely regarded as precarious
It is not in large parts of the world.

There's a reason why when you go to a bike store and test ride their bikes, they give you a helmet.
They do not in large parts of the world.

I think some people don't understand the last three words of the thread title...
You certainly seem to be one of them yourself.

People come here and respond to your post, making suggestions and telling about their own experiences. Among them people from different countries, climates, cultures, upbringings, with different laws, opinions and experiences. Apparently, you don't like that.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7144 on: January 29, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
Now, now, here. Get less steamy please!

I just pointed out that
A) while a helmet slightly lowers severe head injuries (only), it also (a bit) raises overall chance for injuries, often for psychological reasons (people may also drive faster = riskier because they feel safer).
B) Don't treat bicycles as a nuisance but rather the best type of short distance transit will have 100+ times the safety effect of helmets.

And today I overheard my boss he knows MMM. Now I don't know if I should send him my comments on my favorite articles.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7145 on: January 29, 2020, 10:30:31 AM »

This year I just gave up an entered 99 exemptions and will make quarterly estimated payments.  That gets you a very tiny extra amount of interest on your paycheck too.

This is essentially what I used to do. There are no longer numbered exemptions. You enter dollar amount of exemptions for dependents and for 2 earner households.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7146 on: January 29, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »

This is essentially what I used to do. There are no longer numbered exemptions. You enter dollar amount of exemptions for dependents and for 2 earner households.
I guess they haven’t updated the form I saw (or perhaps I did it before Jan 1)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7147 on: January 31, 2020, 06:36:27 AM »

Me too. That's why I rattle on so about budget ebikes. In my part of the south we have the heat, humidity and hills. A trifecta of discomfort for a bicyclist.

And yeah, heat triggered migraines. Been a problem for me forever too.

Now I can ride in any heat and any humidity and when it gets to be too much, bump up the pedal boost another notch or two.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7148 on: January 31, 2020, 06:39:50 AM »
DW made $600 extra editing a newsletter last year (1099-MISC). Now the TaxAct software wants to charge us another $50 to file.

I'm looking for alternatives.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7149 on: January 31, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »
DW made $600 extra editing a newsletter last year (1099-MISC). Now the TaxAct software wants to charge us another $50 to file.

I'm looking for alternatives.

FreeTaxUSA

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!