Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1069637 times)

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2350 on: December 22, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
Greensheep: putting a marker on is an excellent idea! I have that same problem when getting gas.
Your car already has that marker. I'm pretty sure this was discussed on the thread at some point.
Mustachian problem: Missing out on the the gas gauge arrow because you drive an old car.
My 2000 Dodge Van (141K miles) has the marker on the wrong side.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2351 on: December 22, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
A neighbor was selling "savings books" that you got your money back on with just one coupon.
The book cost $10.

The coupon was $10 off a $100 purchase at the grocery store I use. 

Except we NEVER spend close to that in a single trip!

Wow what a bunch of BS! And to think people actually buy those things......
Doesn't that depends on the book?
There are some books I would glaly apid only 10$ ;)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2352 on: December 22, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »
A neighbor was selling "savings books" that you got your money back on with just one coupon.
The book cost $10.

Well there were other coupons too- the idea was just that it was 'free' because of this coupon.

All the others were for restaurants or kid related things, so we passed.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2353 on: December 22, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
The book cost $10.

I don't think we could even carry that much food. We've gotten up to $50 or $60 in one trip, but that involves backpacks for both of us and the cat stroller at max capacity for both weight and volume, including some sort of balancing act on top of the rain cover. Maybe if we wore two backpacks each?
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2354 on: December 22, 2015, 01:42:39 PM »
The book cost $10.

I don't think we could even carry that much food. We've gotten up to $50 or $60 in one trip, but that involves backpacks for both of us and the cat stroller at max capacity for both weight and volume, including some sort of balancing act on top of the rain cover. Maybe if we wore two backpacks each?

It's easy if you buy a lot of meat.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2355 on: December 22, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
I can't keep up with my podcasts because I don't spend that much time in the car anymore. 
It's not about money, it's about mindset

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2356 on: December 22, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
I can't keep up with my podcasts because I don't spend that much time in the car anymore.

I blast music from my phone while I ride my bike.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2357 on: December 22, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »
The book cost $10.

Well there were other coupons too- the idea was just that it was 'free' because of this coupon.

All the others were for restaurants or kid related things, so we passed.

I would have passed. Finding great deals on groceries and other necessities is easy in my area without paying extra for it.  I also don't have kids or go out much, like you.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2358 on: December 22, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »
The book cost $10.

I might add that in my area we have abundant access to free coupon books of all sorts. The use I find mostly for these are the discounts on smog test or oil change. Or deals on a tent or something.
To be honest, the coupons at cost I hav been offered hav come from solicitations at my business, and are either for garbage or , reading the fine print on something appealing , i find its a ripoff. So I'm biased:) .  you are right I'm sure, that quality books exist, apologies if I offended anyone sincerely.

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #2359 on: December 22, 2015, 05:12:40 PM »
The book cost $10.

I might add that in my area we have abundant access to free coupon books of all sorts. The use I find mostly for these are the discounts on smog test or oil change. Or deals on a tent or something.
To be honest, the coupons at cost I hav been offered hav come from solicitations at my business, and are either for garbage or , reading the fine print on something appealing , i find its a ripoff. So I'm biased:) .  you are right I'm sure, that quality books exist, apologies if I offended anyone sincerely.

I'm wondering the reason your neighbor was selling them? Around here, a few coworkers sell coupon books. They are always in support of little leagure/boy scouts/etc. The businesses agree to use the coupons, and the $10 book price goes to the cause(little league).

If they're just selling the books to sell them, that's a little weird.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2360 on: December 22, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
For little league.

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2361 on: December 22, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »
Since its close to the freezing point here, wearing layers is necessary for biking. on wet days I generate about half a load of laundry of filthy clothes, and i get so gritty i hose myself and my bike down in the yard. With gas being as cheap as it is, my little optimizer voice is wont stop wondering whether biking is saving any money on wet days (on dry days, outer layers can go a few rides between washes, and i can wear a bit less since I'm not soaked). I really don't want to feel so compelled to figure out how much a load of laundry costs - there's no reason I need to know, because it won't change my laundry use.

At least it's a thought that is easily silenced, because I still prefer a rainy bike ride on a chilly day to driving the car.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2362 on: December 23, 2015, 03:34:08 AM »

Me too!  I put my car in winter storage and since then I haven't been able to keep up. :)

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2363 on: December 23, 2015, 04:39:49 AM »

Me too!  I put my car in winter storage and since then I haven't been able to keep up. :)

I always listen to podcasts while running, riding my bike and cleaning in the house.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #2364 on: December 23, 2015, 05:40:06 AM »
Since its close to the freezing point here, wearing layers is necessary for biking. on wet days I generate about half a load of laundry of filthy clothes, and i get so gritty i hose myself and my bike down in the yard. With gas being as cheap as it is, my little optimizer voice is wont stop wondering whether biking is saving any money on wet days (on dry days, outer layers can go a few rides between washes, and i can wear a bit less since I'm not soaked). I really don't want to feel so compelled to figure out how much a load of laundry costs - there's no reason I need to know, because it won't change my laundry use.

At least it's a thought that is easily silenced, because I still prefer a rainy bike ride on a chilly day to driving the car.

You should think about investing in a waterproof outer layer. I have a jacket, rain pants, and shoe covers that are all waterproof and my layers never get soaked through like that. There's also an added bonus of the waterproof layer protecting better against the wind so I stay warmer with slightly less layers in the first place.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2365 on: December 23, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »
Mustachian person problem: I was out doing some final Christmas shopping this morning. I stopped at the gas station and bought $50 worth of gift cards, and then went to Goodwill, where my card was declined.

I paid the $4 in cash, and called the credit card company on my way out. They put a hold on my account because of "unusual activity" and wanted me to verify the $50 transaction.

I buy gas so infrequently, and my car is compact enough, that what is a twice-weekly expense for some is a transaction worthy of fraud protection for me. Oh well. I'm just mad that I won't get the cash back from Goodwill. That's $0.04 I'll never see...

You should get a 2% credit card. Fidelity Amex is good because you can enroll it in Amex offers available on Twitter. Of course, there are some merchants that don't take Amex. The other option is the Citi Double Cash (Mastercard), which earns 1% at time of purchase and 1% when you make a payment.

I'm surprised that $50 is a fraud alert for you if this is the same card that you use to pay gas. Typically when you swipe your card at the pump it puts a temporary hold for some predetermined maximum which varies by gas station (typically $100, sometimes $150) because it doesn't know how much gas you're going to put in. It then later adjusts the transaction for the correct amount.
But I'm fairly certain that the cc company can't differentiate a temporary hold from a real purchase (could be wrong about this) so they should already expect $100 transactions on the card...

This is a 5% card for certain categories that I regularly spend in. I have an AMEX with good benefits, too, but my Goodwill doesn't take AMEX. I've done the CC churning thing and it's just too much hassle to keep track of.

This card shows pending transactions, and I've never seen a gas hold, so I don't think it works that way. Maybe for debit cards?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2366 on: December 23, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Mustachian person problem: I was out doing some final Christmas shopping this morning. I stopped at the gas station and bought $50 worth of gift cards, and then went to Goodwill, where my card was declined.

I paid the $4 in cash, and called the credit card company on my way out. They put a hold on my account because of "unusual activity" and wanted me to verify the $50 transaction.

I buy gas so infrequently, and my car is compact enough, that what is a twice-weekly expense for some is a transaction worthy of fraud protection for me. Oh well. I'm just mad that I won't get the cash back from Goodwill. That's $0.04 I'll never see...

You should get a 2% credit card. Fidelity Amex is good because you can enroll it in Amex offers available on Twitter. Of course, there are some merchants that don't take Amex. The other option is the Citi Double Cash (Mastercard), which earns 1% at time of purchase and 1% when you make a payment.

I'm surprised that $50 is a fraud alert for you if this is the same card that you use to pay gas. Typically when you swipe your card at the pump it puts a temporary hold for some predetermined maximum which varies by gas station (typically $100, sometimes $150) because it doesn't know how much gas you're going to put in. It then later adjusts the transaction for the correct amount.
But I'm fairly certain that the cc company can't differentiate a temporary hold from a real purchase (could be wrong about this) so they should already expect $100 transactions on the card...

This is a 5% card for certain categories that I regularly spend in. I have an AMEX with good benefits, too, but my Goodwill doesn't take AMEX. I've done the CC churning thing and it's just too much hassle to keep track of.

This card shows pending transactions, and I've never seen a gas hold, so I don't think it works that way. Maybe for debit cards?

I brought up the 2% card because you mentioned 4 cents you'd never see again - which would imply a 1% card.

Using a 2% card doesn't fall under the purview of cc churning.

The gas hold is changed to the correct amount once you're done filling (basically instantly). The way I know this hold actually occurs is I have large transaction alerts set on my cards. Whenever I go to fill up, I get an email alert saying I was charged $100. Then when I check my card when getting home, it shows the correct amount.
And think about this logically for a second. If they make you swipe your card before you fill, they might as well check that you have enough money to pay.

I have never used a debit card to fill up gas. In fact, I have never used a debit card to make a purchase once I got my first credit card.

EDIT: Here's a link on the gas station holds.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:13:16 AM by johnny847 »

fattest_foot

• Bristles
« Reply #2367 on: December 23, 2015, 03:34:29 PM »
It's that time of the year again, which means I got a Starbucks gift card from my team lead at work.

Last year my wife and I ended up giving a bunch that we had accumulated over the years as gifts to other people. I guess we'll start a new collection of them.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2368 on: December 23, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
It's that time of the year again, which means I got a Starbucks gift card from my team lead at work.

Last year my wife and I ended up giving a bunch that we had accumulated over the years as gifts to other people. I guess we'll start a new collection of them.

Shit. I completely forgot I have one from the summer in a desk drawer. Now I don't have anybody to give it to this year. Guess it'll have to wait till next December.

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2369 on: December 23, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »

You should think about investing in a waterproof outer layer. I have a jacket, rain pants, and shoe covers that are all waterproof and my layers never get soaked through like that. There's also an added bonus of the waterproof layer protecting better against the wind so I stay warmer with slightly less layers in the first place.

The damp is internally generated, even though i wear waterproof. Im my own mobile sauna. Socks, gloves, shoes, headwear... All soaked, all gritty. i ride some fairly long distances, and the road shoulders have all the filth from any recent sanding. The ride is fun, the laundry not so much.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2370 on: December 23, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
The damp is internally generated, even though i wear waterproof. Im my own mobile sauna. Socks, gloves, shoes, headwear... All soaked, all gritty. i ride some fairly long distances, and the road shoulders have all the filth from any recent sanding. The ride is fun, the laundry not so much.
nudity + goretex - the perfect combination ?

Although here in the Pacific North West  - Goretex is considered formal evening wear

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2371 on: December 24, 2015, 09:03:38 AM »
nudity + goretex - the perfect combination ?

Although here in the Pacific North West  - Goretex is considered formal evening wear

+1, can verify.

EDIT- WOW. Can verify the PNW part. Have not tried the nudity part!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #2372 on: December 24, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »
I'm surprised that $50 is a fraud alert for you if this is the same card that you use to pay gas.
Hell, I just had my Travelocity Amex (Barclay) put on hold because of a Travelocity purchase.

The one merchant where they can reliably count on me to use that card.

It caused me a shit-ton of problems due to timing, too. I'm pretty pissed. Had multiple autopay bills declined. Had a stock trade cancelled because the card pays my annual IRA fee, which JUST HAPPENED to be applied in the 2-hour window between placement and execution. The fee defaulted to an account withdrawal, and my cash balance was no longer enough to cover the buy. Share price went up while I waited for the next window, plus the $25 withdrawn instead of reinvested. I'll get over it though... lol.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2373 on: December 24, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »
I'm surprised that $50 is a fraud alert for you if this is the same card that you use to pay gas.
Hell, I just had my Travelocity Amex (Barclay) put on hold because of a Travelocity purchase.

The one merchant where they can reliably count on me to use that card.

It caused me a shit-ton of problems due to timing, too. I'm pretty pissed. Had multiple autopay bills declined. Had a stock trade cancelled because the card pays my annual IRA fee, which JUST HAPPENED to be applied in the 2-hour window between placement and execution. The fee defaulted to an account withdrawal, and my cash balance was no longer enough to cover the buy. Share price went up while I waited for the next window, plus the $25 withdrawn instead of reinvested. I'll get over it though... lol.

Why are you paying a fee for your IRA?

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2374 on: December 24, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »
We don't turn on our heat since we are surrounded on all sides in our apartment complex, BUT when you get a headache because the neighbors all jacked their heat up so high....

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2375 on: December 25, 2015, 03:44:28 AM »
We don't turn on our heat since we are surrounded on all sides in our apartment complex, BUT when you get a headache because the neighbors all jacked their heat up so high....
thats what windows are for ^^

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2376 on: December 25, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
Spent Christmas Eve at my brother's and Christmas day at my parents'.  They both keep their houses at 72 degrees.  It was sweltering.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2377 on: December 26, 2015, 05:55:29 AM »
Spent Christmas Eve at my brother's and Christmas day at my parents'.  They both keep their houses at 72 degrees.  It was sweltering.
Lol we had Xmas at our house this year and I just knew if they walked into our 63 degree house the complaints would never end. Being the nice person filled with Xmas spirit and generosity I am. I turned the thermostat to 70 to appease their comfort level and my sanity. Shortly after dinner I heard a few complaints about it being too warm. fml
Go ahead and send some face punches my way lol.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2378 on: December 26, 2015, 07:01:54 AM »

It is like that at my in-law's house and I can't stand feeling that hot!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2379 on: December 26, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »

+1
My mother keeps their house at SEVENTY FOUR DEGREES. 74. That is just... not okay. We are in the 64 camp. DH and I had to move the bed under the window in the guest room and sleep with it open.

After 3 days and all my Siblings complaining, also, she finally gave in and lowered it to...... drum roll please.... 73.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2380 on: December 26, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »

+1
My mother keeps their house at SEVENTY FOUR DEGREES. 74. That is just... not okay. We are in the 64 camp. DH and I had to move the bed under the window in the guest room and sleep with it open.

After 3 days and all my Siblings complaining, also, she finally gave in and lowered it to...... drum roll please.... 73.

Well, those of us on the east cost have not needed heat at all on Xmas. AC maybe, just not heat. And this is in places where it should be heavy coat time, not t-shit time. I wore a t-shirt yesterday where I live (NJ).

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • Formerly of the Deep Ellum Variety
« Reply #2381 on: December 28, 2015, 08:06:27 AM »

Well, those of us on the east cost have not needed heat at all on Xmas. AC maybe, just not heat. And this is in places where it should be heavy coat time, not t-shit time. I wore a t-shirt yesterday where I live (NJ).

You not a fan of t-shirts?
And a journal because I #REF occasionally

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2382 on: December 28, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »

You not a fan of t-shirts?
Seasonally, yes.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #2383 on: December 28, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »
Have received a total of $400 in cash Christmas presents for my two preschoolers. That's more than I can spend! (Going to stash some for lessons/trips/etc. as the year goes on.)
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

Faramir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2384 on: December 29, 2015, 02:42:44 AM »
My mustachian problem is that I'm from New Zealand and we use UK spelling so to me it should be spelt "moustachian".  However, I'm on this site so much that now mustachian looks correct and moustachian looks wrong.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2385 on: December 29, 2015, 03:16:40 AM »
My mustachian problem is that I'm from New Zealand and we use UK spelling so to me it should be spelt "moustachian".  However, I'm on this site so much that now mustachian looks correct and moustachian looks wrong.

YES!!! I've noticed this too.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2386 on: December 29, 2015, 03:21:57 AM »
Having to explain to a coworker that not everyone wants presents. He is going to a party and the host doesn't want gifts and he put on the invitation that donations for a cause were welcome instead if gifts of people wanted to bring something. My coworker said something like:

CW: Of course I'm also bringing a gift.
Me: But he said not to on the card.
CW: But that's just out of politeness. Everyone wants gifts.
Me: = Explaining my side and how I would interpret it and mean it if I was the host =
CW: Yeah, ok I get your point, but I can do both.
Me: So you are not doing it for the receiver but for yourself?
CW: No, everyone likes gifts.
Me: If you really want to buy him something, I would do something you can use up, like something to eat or drink.
CW: That's boring. I will get him something nice.

slipslop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2387 on: December 30, 2015, 10:51:28 PM »
New friends bring a gift for us or our 1-year-old every time we visit with them. To reciprocate, and because we enjoy the company, we invite them for a nice home-cooked dinner. They bring a bottle of wine and dessert that easily cost twice what I spent on the meal!

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #2388 on: December 31, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
Local kids were rifling through unlocked cars a few weeks ago.  In some places they got cell phones, car keys, laptops and mp3 players.  I'm sure when they took the old backpack from the backseat they hoped it'd be another electronic bonanza of stuff.  They ended up with some spare diapers and a board book.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2389 on: December 31, 2015, 03:01:08 PM »
Local kids were rifling through unlocked cars a few weeks ago.  In some places they got cell phones, car keys, laptops and mp3 players.  I'm sure when they took the old backpack from the backseat they hoped it'd be another electronic bonanza of stuff.  They ended up with some spare diapers and a board book.

They could make like $10 bucks off it though right? Ha.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2390 on: January 01, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »
Mom asked me what I'd like for my birthday, so far all I can come up with are stamps. :) My parents are good about getting me what I can use, though, so I'm looking forward to what they think up.

And something hilariously funny ~ one of the companies I have stock in merged (or got acquired, depending on how you spin it), and there is a payoff per share (while still retaining the shares in the new company). I was vaguely annoyed that I had no idea when this payout was coming (either before year end or in January when the dividend comes) and if I would be reopening the books for 2015 to make an adjustment. And then I caught myself, being annoyed about money that I was receiving. :) kind of funny.

Eta: dividend and payout were issued the end of December, so this affects 2015.
Edited for incorrect wording, thank you Sam. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:03:31 AM by Tamster »

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #2391 on: January 01, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
And something hilariously funny ~ one of the companies I have stock in merged (or got acquired, depending on how you spin it), and there is a payoff per share (while still retaining the shares in the new company). I was vaguely annoyed that I had no idea when this payout was coming (either before year end or in January when the dividend comes) and just how much it would offset my savings rate for whichever year. And then I caught myself, being annoyed about money that I was receiving. :) kind of funny.

Eta: dividend and payout were issued the end of December, so this affects 2015.

I don't understand, how does receiving extra money offset your savings rate in a negative way? It's just more money to save or to put back in stocks. How would it be annoying?

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2392 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:38 AM »
Sam, you're right, it wouldn't -- I used the wrong wording. I had closed the books for 2015 (other than for tax purposes), and thus was slightly annoyed to be having to redo figures. Not a big deal at all, just gave me a chuckle.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2393 on: January 01, 2016, 01:18:33 PM »
Instead of getting a 27th, biweekly Friday payment next year, I was paid a day early this year on the 31st.  That means I've now over withheld for 2015.  It also means it is less than it would have been next year (higher salary)

jeremytech

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2394 on: January 01, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
I logged into Fidelity around 10pm new years eve figuring I could schedule my Roth IRA contributions. They wouldn't allow me to schedule for 2016. I celebrated my new year at 12:05am this morning by logging in and doing my 2016 contributions. On a side note I'm impressed Fidelity actually worked well enough that they automatically allowed 2016 contributions.

oneyearfromnow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • a life-long frugalitarian
« Reply #2395 on: January 08, 2016, 07:42:46 AM »
I left a little extra money in the chequing account over the Christmas Holidays in case there were any emergency items that needed to be purchased.  Turns out it  was not required.

Today is Payday, and now I get to transfer 108% of our take home pay to our investment account.  (I transfer everything above our float amount)

The thrill of being paid,  and transferring the cash took less than 10 minutes.  Now were living to our next paycheque.
The husband and I are FIRE'd as of April 28, 2017.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2396 on: January 12, 2016, 07:08:42 AM »
When you have to spend a night in an unheated caravan with two days notice and don't own a sleeping bag. Your mind runs through all the possibilities for doing this without spending any money (borrow a sleeping bag, maybe I can just compress my duvet enough to fit in the suitcase...) and you think "You know what, I am just going to throw as much money as it takes at this problem. My comfort and not getting hypothermia is worth more than any amount of money." You feel a warm glow as your prioritise retaining blood flow to all your limbs and congratulate yourself for not being one of those "really crazy frugal people who won't spend money on anything". You steel yourself to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a really epically good sleeping bag from a proper camping shop and have it couriered to you with super-duper-guaranteed next day delivery... and then buy a military surplus arctic-rated one for 45 including delivery. Dang.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:10:22 AM by shelivesthedream »

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2397 on: January 12, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »
My dog is beginning to smell like... a dog. But she is small, not very cold tolerant, and I keep my house fairly cold in the winter. I feel like it would be cruel and unusual punishment to bathe her now. She'd have to hang around a cold house while soaking wet. So I'm waiting for a warm day to finally get her clean!

(Frugal Hound at www.frugalwoods.com would approve, I'm sure.)

I did have a dog once who loved the hair dryer post-bath. This one, however, does not see past the loud noise!

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2398 on: January 12, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
My dog is beginning to smell like... a dog. But she is small, not very cold tolerant, and I keep my house fairly cold in the winter. I feel like it would be cruel and unusual punishment to bathe her now. She'd have to hang around a cold house while soaking wet. So I'm waiting for a warm day to finally get her clean!

I did have a dog once who loved the hair dryer post-bath. This one, however, does not see past the loud noise!

Why don't you just dry her off with a towel?  I keep my house cold also and I shower every day.  I just dry off when i'm done.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2399 on: January 12, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »

Why don't you just dry her off with a towel?  I keep my house cold also and I shower every day.  I just dry off when i'm done.

Perhaps you can regulate your body heat better than a small dog?  Most very small breeds aren't made for places that get very cold.

(Though we do just towel off our dog, even in the winter. But sometimes she shivers pretty badly, and she isn't even that small of a dog. Then we wrap her in a towel and cuddle her up under blankets near a space heater.)