Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086542 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2350 on: December 24, 2015, 09:03:38 AM »
The damp is internally generated, even though i wear waterproof. Im my own mobile sauna. Socks, gloves, shoes, headwear... All soaked, all gritty. i ride some fairly long distances, and the road shoulders have all the filth from any recent sanding. The ride is fun, the laundry not so much.
nudity + goretex - the perfect combination ?

Although here in the Pacific North West  - Goretex is considered formal evening wear

+1, can verify.

EDIT- WOW. Can verify the PNW part. Have not tried the nudity part!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2351 on: December 24, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »
I'm surprised that $50 is a fraud alert for you if this is the same card that you use to pay gas.
Hell, I just had my Travelocity Amex (Barclay) put on hold because of a Travelocity purchase.

The one merchant where they can reliably count on me to use that card.

It caused me a shit-ton of problems due to timing, too. I'm pretty pissed. Had multiple autopay bills declined. Had a stock trade cancelled because the card pays my annual IRA fee, which JUST HAPPENED to be applied in the 2-hour window between placement and execution. The fee defaulted to an account withdrawal, and my cash balance was no longer enough to cover the buy. Share price went up while I waited for the next window, plus the $25 withdrawn instead of reinvested. I'll get over it though... lol.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2352 on: December 24, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »
I'm surprised that $50 is a fraud alert for you if this is the same card that you use to pay gas.
Hell, I just had my Travelocity Amex (Barclay) put on hold because of a Travelocity purchase.

The one merchant where they can reliably count on me to use that card.

It caused me a shit-ton of problems due to timing, too. I'm pretty pissed. Had multiple autopay bills declined. Had a stock trade cancelled because the card pays my annual IRA fee, which JUST HAPPENED to be applied in the 2-hour window between placement and execution. The fee defaulted to an account withdrawal, and my cash balance was no longer enough to cover the buy. Share price went up while I waited for the next window, plus the $25 withdrawn instead of reinvested. I'll get over it though... lol.

Why are you paying a fee for your IRA?

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2353 on: December 24, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »
We don't turn on our heat since we are surrounded on all sides in our apartment complex, BUT when you get a headache because the neighbors all jacked their heat up so high....

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2354 on: December 25, 2015, 03:44:28 AM »
We don't turn on our heat since we are surrounded on all sides in our apartment complex, BUT when you get a headache because the neighbors all jacked their heat up so high....
thats what windows are for ^^

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2355 on: December 25, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
Spent Christmas Eve at my brother's and Christmas day at my parents'.  They both keep their houses at 72 degrees.  It was sweltering.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2356 on: December 26, 2015, 05:55:29 AM »
Spent Christmas Eve at my brother's and Christmas day at my parents'.  They both keep their houses at 72 degrees.  It was sweltering.
Lol we had Xmas at our house this year and I just knew if they walked into our 63 degree house the complaints would never end. Being the nice person filled with Xmas spirit and generosity I am. I turned the thermostat to 70 to appease their comfort level and my sanity. Shortly after dinner I heard a few complaints about it being too warm. fml
Go ahead and send some face punches my way lol.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2357 on: December 26, 2015, 07:01:54 AM »

It is like that at my in-law's house and I can't stand feeling that hot!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2358 on: December 26, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »

+1
My mother keeps their house at SEVENTY FOUR DEGREES. 74. That is just... not okay. We are in the 64 camp. DH and I had to move the bed under the window in the guest room and sleep with it open.

After 3 days and all my Siblings complaining, also, she finally gave in and lowered it to...... drum roll please.... 73.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2359 on: December 26, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »

+1
My mother keeps their house at SEVENTY FOUR DEGREES. 74. That is just... not okay. We are in the 64 camp. DH and I had to move the bed under the window in the guest room and sleep with it open.

After 3 days and all my Siblings complaining, also, she finally gave in and lowered it to...... drum roll please.... 73.

Well, those of us on the east cost have not needed heat at all on Xmas. AC maybe, just not heat. And this is in places where it should be heavy coat time, not t-shit time. I wore a t-shirt yesterday where I live (NJ).

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #2360 on: December 28, 2015, 08:06:27 AM »

Well, those of us on the east cost have not needed heat at all on Xmas. AC maybe, just not heat. And this is in places where it should be heavy coat time, not t-shit time. I wore a t-shirt yesterday where I live (NJ).

You not a fan of t-shirts?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2361 on: December 28, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »

You not a fan of t-shirts?
Seasonally, yes.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2362 on: December 28, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »
Have received a total of $400 in cash Christmas presents for my two preschoolers. That's more than I can spend! (Going to stash some for lessons/trips/etc. as the year goes on.)

Faramir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2363 on: December 29, 2015, 02:42:44 AM »
My mustachian problem is that I'm from New Zealand and we use UK spelling so to me it should be spelt "moustachian".  However, I'm on this site so much that now mustachian looks correct and moustachian looks wrong.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2364 on: December 29, 2015, 03:16:40 AM »
My mustachian problem is that I'm from New Zealand and we use UK spelling so to me it should be spelt "moustachian".  However, I'm on this site so much that now mustachian looks correct and moustachian looks wrong.

YES!!! I've noticed this too.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2365 on: December 29, 2015, 03:21:57 AM »
Having to explain to a coworker that not everyone wants presents. He is going to a party and the host doesn't want gifts and he put on the invitation that donations for a cause were welcome instead if gifts of people wanted to bring something. My coworker said something like:

CW: Of course I'm also bringing a gift.
Me: But he said not to on the card.
CW: But that's just out of politeness. Everyone wants gifts.
Me: = Explaining my side and how I would interpret it and mean it if I was the host =
CW: Yeah, ok I get your point, but I can do both.
Me: So you are not doing it for the receiver but for yourself?
CW: No, everyone likes gifts.
Me: If you really want to buy him something, I would do something you can use up, like something to eat or drink.
CW: That's boring. I will get him something nice.

slipslop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2366 on: December 30, 2015, 10:51:28 PM »
New friends bring a gift for us or our 1-year-old every time we visit with them. To reciprocate, and because we enjoy the company, we invite them for a nice home-cooked dinner. They bring a bottle of wine and dessert that easily cost twice what I spent on the meal!

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #2367 on: December 31, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
Local kids were rifling through unlocked cars a few weeks ago.  In some places they got cell phones, car keys, laptops and mp3 players.  I'm sure when they took the old backpack from the backseat they hoped it'd be another electronic bonanza of stuff.  They ended up with some spare diapers and a board book.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2368 on: December 31, 2015, 03:01:08 PM »
Local kids were rifling through unlocked cars a few weeks ago.  In some places they got cell phones, car keys, laptops and mp3 players.  I'm sure when they took the old backpack from the backseat they hoped it'd be another electronic bonanza of stuff.  They ended up with some spare diapers and a board book.

They could make like $10 bucks off it though right? Ha.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2369 on: January 01, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »
Mom asked me what I'd like for my birthday, so far all I can come up with are stamps. :) My parents are good about getting me what I can use, though, so I'm looking forward to what they think up.

And something hilariously funny ~ one of the companies I have stock in merged (or got acquired, depending on how you spin it), and there is a payoff per share (while still retaining the shares in the new company). I was vaguely annoyed that I had no idea when this payout was coming (either before year end or in January when the dividend comes) and if I would be reopening the books for 2015 to make an adjustment. And then I caught myself, being annoyed about money that I was receiving. :) kind of funny.

Eta: dividend and payout were issued the end of December, so this affects 2015.
Edited for incorrect wording, thank you Sam. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:03:31 AM by Tamster »

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #2370 on: January 01, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
And something hilariously funny ~ one of the companies I have stock in merged (or got acquired, depending on how you spin it), and there is a payoff per share (while still retaining the shares in the new company). I was vaguely annoyed that I had no idea when this payout was coming (either before year end or in January when the dividend comes) and just how much it would offset my savings rate for whichever year. And then I caught myself, being annoyed about money that I was receiving. :) kind of funny.

Eta: dividend and payout were issued the end of December, so this affects 2015.

I don't understand, how does receiving extra money offset your savings rate in a negative way? It's just more money to save or to put back in stocks. How would it be annoying?

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2371 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:38 AM »
Sam, you're right, it wouldn't -- I used the wrong wording. I had closed the books for 2015 (other than for tax purposes), and thus was slightly annoyed to be having to redo figures. Not a big deal at all, just gave me a chuckle.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2372 on: January 01, 2016, 01:18:33 PM »
Instead of getting a 27th, biweekly Friday payment next year, I was paid a day early this year on the 31st.  That means I've now over withheld for 2015.  It also means it is less than it would have been next year (higher salary)

geek42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2373 on: January 01, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
I logged into Fidelity around 10pm new years eve figuring I could schedule my Roth IRA contributions. They wouldn't allow me to schedule for 2016. I celebrated my new year at 12:05am this morning by logging in and doing my 2016 contributions. On a side note I'm impressed Fidelity actually worked well enough that they automatically allowed 2016 contributions.

oneyearfromnow

• Pencil Stache
  • a life-long frugalitarian
« Reply #2374 on: January 08, 2016, 07:42:46 AM »
I left a little extra money in the chequing account over the Christmas Holidays in case there were any emergency items that needed to be purchased.  Turns out it  was not required.

Today is Payday, and now I get to transfer 108% of our take home pay to our investment account.  (I transfer everything above our float amount)

The thrill of being paid,  and transferring the cash took less than 10 minutes.  Now we’re living to our next paycheque.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2375 on: January 12, 2016, 07:08:42 AM »
When you have to spend a night in an unheated caravan with two days notice and don't own a sleeping bag. Your mind runs through all the possibilities for doing this without spending any money (borrow a sleeping bag, maybe I can just compress my duvet enough to fit in the suitcase...) and you think "You know what, I am just going to throw as much money as it takes at this problem. My comfort and not getting hypothermia is worth more than any amount of money." You feel a warm glow as your prioritise retaining blood flow to all your limbs and congratulate yourself for not being one of those "really crazy frugal people who won't spend money on anything". You steel yourself to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a really epically good sleeping bag from a proper camping shop and have it couriered to you with super-duper-guaranteed next day delivery... and then buy a military surplus arctic-rated one for £45 including delivery. Dang.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:10:22 AM by shelivesthedream »

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2376 on: January 12, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »
My dog is beginning to smell like... a dog. But she is small, not very cold tolerant, and I keep my house fairly cold in the winter. I feel like it would be cruel and unusual punishment to bathe her now. She'd have to hang around a cold house while soaking wet. So I'm waiting for a warm day to finally get her clean!

(Frugal Hound at www.frugalwoods.com would approve, I'm sure.)

I did have a dog once who loved the hair dryer post-bath. This one, however, does not see past the loud noise!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2377 on: January 12, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
My dog is beginning to smell like... a dog. But she is small, not very cold tolerant, and I keep my house fairly cold in the winter. I feel like it would be cruel and unusual punishment to bathe her now. She'd have to hang around a cold house while soaking wet. So I'm waiting for a warm day to finally get her clean!

I did have a dog once who loved the hair dryer post-bath. This one, however, does not see past the loud noise!

Why don't you just dry her off with a towel?  I keep my house cold also and I shower every day.  I just dry off when i'm done.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2378 on: January 12, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »

Why don't you just dry her off with a towel?  I keep my house cold also and I shower every day.  I just dry off when i'm done.

Perhaps you can regulate your body heat better than a small dog?  Most very small breeds aren't made for places that get very cold.

(Though we do just towel off our dog, even in the winter. But sometimes she shivers pretty badly, and she isn't even that small of a dog. Then we wrap her in a towel and cuddle her up under blankets near a space heater.)

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2379 on: January 12, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »

Yes, but you are not (I presume) covered in fur. Towel drying does help, but you can't get a dog's coat 100% dry with a towel. It would be like you walking around in damp clothes.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2380 on: January 12, 2016, 10:50:14 AM »

Yes, but you are not (I presume) covered in fur. Towel drying does help, but you can't get a dog's coat 100% dry with a towel. It would be like you walking around in damp clothes.
LOL

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2381 on: January 12, 2016, 11:46:22 AM »

Not covered, but I have a lush, thick head of curly hair that stays wet for awhile after a shower.  I think you are seriously underestimating your dog's ability to handle being slightly damp for a couple of hours.  I mean how cold do you keep the temperature in your house that this is a serious concern?  If your pipes aren't freezing from the temperature I think you are probably over reacting. Do you ever put your dog outside when it is raining or there is snow on the ground? 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2382 on: January 12, 2016, 11:56:10 AM »

Not covered, but I have a lush, thick head of curly hair that stays wet for awhile after a shower.  I think you are seriously underestimating your dog's ability to handle being slightly damp for a couple of hours.  I mean how cold do you keep the temperature in your house that this is a serious concern?  If your pipes aren't freezing from the temperature I think you are probably over reacting. Do you ever put your dog outside when it is raining or there is snow on the ground?
Please do not compare a small, fluffy animal to a big slighly hairy primate.
You know why species at the polar regions are always the biggest of their kind? Because their big bodies have less surface/body mass and can survive cold better.
The ratio for the dog is maybe 10 times worse then for you. And he stores more water.
Ever wondered why babies need so much clothing compared to adults? Same principle (without water).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2383 on: January 12, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »

You know why species at the polar regions are always the biggest of their kind? Because their big bodies have less surface/body mass and can survive cold better.
The ratio for the dog is maybe 10 times worse then for you. And he stores more water.
Ever wondered why babies need so much clothing compared to adults? Same principle (without water).

You're right.  My neighborhood is littered with dead mammals every time it rains.  And everything smaller than a polar bear dies every winter in michigan.

Are you people serious?  We are talking about a domesticated dog getting dried off with a towel, and then finishing air drying in the comfort of someones living room.   

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2384 on: January 12, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
The title of the thread includes "(just for fun)". This is obviously not a huge concern in my life... just something that comes with trying to be frugal. If my dog desperately needed a bath, I would of course bathe her and do my best to keep her warm afterward, and she would be fine. I'm not saying this is a massive animal rights issue! I only brought this up because it's funny to me, and it's probably never crossed the mind of the average 75 degree winter home owner (or whatever temperature the average person keeps their thermostat at in the winter).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2385 on: January 12, 2016, 12:15:59 PM »
Yeah, just my opinion that you are over thinking and erring too much on the side of caution.  I'd bet your pets are far more adaptable than you realize and are fully acclimated to whatever temperature you normally keep your house at, so even if you keep your house at 55* in the winter your dog is probably perfectly comfortable.   Your dog will probably be more uncomfortable with the bath itself (if it's anything like the pets i've had) than the following couple hours of drying. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2386 on: January 12, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »
I couldn't decide if this was a "MPP" or a "share your badassity"!

I had a free starbucks I needed to use or it would expire and.... I can't remember my fancy drink order anymore! I had to have the barista list the fancy holiday lattee flavors they still had, because I drew a COMPLETE blank on what I used to order. ("Something sweet with milk and coffee" doesn't really narrow it down!)

Anyway, a silly victory, but a sign of how far I've come from my latte habit!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2387 on: January 12, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »

I had a free starbucks I needed to use or it would expire and.... I can't remember my fancy drink order anymore! I had to have the barista list the fancy holiday lattee flavors they still had, because I drew a COMPLETE blank on what I used to order. ("Something sweet with milk and coffee" doesn't really narrow it down!)

What did you order?

I'm lame.  I order a hot tea when I have a free beverage thing.  Eh.  It's what I like. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2388 on: January 12, 2016, 05:25:19 PM »

What did you order?

I'm lame.  I order a hot tea when I have a free beverage thing.  Eh.  It's what I like.

I ended up getting a large Carmel Brulee Latte with sprinkles and whole milk =D I drank it on my way to snow shoeing 6 miles, so hopefully the sugar all got burnt off!

I remember now my fancy drink used to be- a latte with chai syrup. If you order a chai and add espresso, they dilute with water, plus it costs $0.65 more for a tall! The latte is just milk. Much richer and yummier.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2389 on: January 13, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »

What did you order?

I'm lamer...I get a "medium" hot chocolate because I have no idea what their sizing system is.  Then I say I don't want marshmallows or whip cream...just the hot and the chocolate.  People look at me like they're wondering why I'm even there.  It's usually to meet up with a friend or something.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2390 on: January 13, 2016, 09:30:26 AM »

You're right.  My neighborhood is littered with dead mammals every time it rains.  And everything smaller than a polar bear dies every winter in michigan.

Are you people serious?  We are talking about a domesticated dog getting dried off with a towel, and then finishing air drying in the comfort of someones living room.

You may know this, but a reminder for everyone else:
With the indoor/outdoor thing, animals that are outside all the time grow a significantly thicker winter coat.  I saw two cats outside yesterday.  One may have been feral (no tags), the other was definitely a primarily indoor cat (tags, rhinestone collar).  Maybe-feral cat was short-haired, but had super-thick fur and seemed to be ignoring the cold.  Tagged cat had very thin fur (not unhealthy, just a warm-weather coat) and was picking its feet up one by one to keep them off the cold ground and shivering slightly.

It would be interesting to me to know what proportion of indoor/outdoor time as winter approaches it takes to prevent/cause the full, thick winter coat to be grown.

The title of the thread includes "(just for fun)". This is obviously not a huge concern in my life... just something that comes with trying to be frugal. If my dog desperately needed a bath, I would of course bathe her and do my best to keep her warm afterward, and she would be fine. I'm not saying this is a massive animal rights issue! I only brought this up because it's funny to me, and it's probably never crossed the mind of the average 75 degree winter home owner (or whatever temperature the average person keeps their thermostat at in the winter).

You could bathe him, towel him off, and then sit with him on your lap and watch a movie/read a book/post on MMM.  Body heat is great.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2391 on: January 13, 2016, 09:50:18 AM »

You may know this, but a reminder for everyone else:
With the indoor/outdoor thing, animals that are outside all the time grow a significantly thicker winter coat.  I saw two cats outside yesterday.  One may have been feral (no tags), the other was definitely a primarily indoor cat (tags, rhinestone collar).  Maybe-feral cat was short-haired, but had super-thick fur and seemed to be ignoring the cold.  Tagged cat had very thin fur (not unhealthy, just a warm-weather coat) and was picking its feet up one by one to keep them off the cold ground and shivering slightly.

It would be interesting to me to know what proportion of indoor/outdoor time as winter approaches it takes to prevent/cause the full, thick winter coat to be grown.

Yea I already pointed that out.  Her dog is likely already acclimated and perfectly comfortable at whatever she keeps her thermostat at (even if it's at chilly mustachian levels and not tropical spendy pants levels), so getting dried off after a bath and sitting in her living room will likely cause no harm, and very little discomfort.   I think she is over thinking it a bit, and it's really a non problem.  If you were going to put the dog outside before she was fully dried I think there would be some cause for concern, but as long as you can keep her inside with you for a few hours to dry, and can even provide her with a blanket or bed* she will be fine.

*We normally keep our thermostat at 64/58, and have been turning it down a couple degrees trying to acclimate ourselves to an even cooler normal temp.  We allow the cat to sleep on the bed or couch and she seems warm and happy.  We don't allow the dog on any furniture, but we have a dog bed with a couple of old comforters folded up for her to sleep/lie on.  I also have an old heating pad that has a very low setting that I place under the bed for the dog.  I measured the electrical usage and it will only use a few kwhr for the entire winter (so under $1 in energy for the whole winter) and it provides a tiny bit of warmth in the bed.  My original intention was to provide a little extra heat for the dog during the night (our bedroom is usually around 55 by the time we get to bed because it's upstairs away from the warmer living room/kitchen, and it warms up slightly overnight with 2 people and 2 animals sleeping in it) so we could potentially turn the furnace down even lower at night.  I don't think it's necessary to provide a heated bed for the animals, but I have the equipment, and it uses a negligible amount of energy, and they seem to love it.  I understand why they love it, even though I am comfortable at the temps we keep it at, crawling into a bed with a heated blanket, or under a heated blanket on the couch just feels so nice and toasty. 

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #2392 on: January 28, 2016, 08:07:46 AM »
Just received a call on my work cell phone telling me that I had been approved to have student loans forgiven!! Too bad I don't have any... They were the first to go after I started looking into MMM.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2393 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:22 AM »
When your friends are out of money to do fun stuff because they blew all their money on things that weren't important even to them:(

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2394 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
Just received a call on my work cell phone telling me that I had been approved to have student loans forgiven!! Too bad I don't have any... They were the first to go after I started looking into MMM.
Did you ask if you can have the sum of the student loans you took on your bank account so that you can repay them?

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2395 on: January 28, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
Got charged a monthly fee for my checking account because I am front-loading my 401(k).

Having a certain amount of money direct deposited into the account is one way to avoid the monthly account fee. With the max contribution level, my net paycheck is zero, and so I didn't have any direct deposits into my account this month. Oops!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:36:33 PM by FrugalShrew »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2396 on: January 28, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
When your friends are out of money to do fun stuff because they blew all their money on things that weren't important even to them:(

this, totally! ah well... i can still do things (though i dont too often) with my SO and family . i enjoy seeing theatre and the ballet and art and trying new things from time to time, and they all have an appreciation for these things as well.
and this is totally unrelated to this thread, but i want to add that its been wonderful discovering new things like skiing that my SO introduced me too. and he has gotten into art which was totally unexpected. :)

a possible MPP here? i have enough, that when i am sick i am able to rest at home (my schedule is 100% flexible), something that many do not do and cannot understand. this is a wonderful perk, because working when i am sick sucks!

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #2397 on: January 28, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
Taxable brokerage account balances hit an all-time high today (thanks to the recent jump in Verizon, AT&T, Altria, and Philip Morris)...before I could add a bunch more shares in Verizon in the sub $45 range...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2398 on: January 30, 2016, 05:57:58 AM »
Started a new job 2 weeks ago and I just found out that I won't qualify for the 401-K until I've worked for them 1,000 hours, plus hit a magic date (either Jan 1 or July 1).  WTF man!!  By that calculation I won't have a 401-K til Jan 2017!!

So I'm putting money in my Roth, and not reducing my taxes in 2016 :-( 

At least DH is maxing out his 401-K.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2399 on: January 30, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »
My mother was so embarrassed by my Goodwill jeans that she made me wear hers. She insisted I keep them.