Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086867 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1600 on: July 17, 2015, 01:33:31 PM »
This is a mustachian problem I just reminded myself about...

Back at the beginning of 2013 I sold my car and opted to use only my bike, no matter the weather. Over the next year and a half I biked everyday, even through the winter. Near the end of 2014 I chose to buy a car again to have as a backup plan. When I called my old insurance agent to sign up for car insurance again the conversation went like this...

Agent: So you said you had insurance through us back in 2013. Who insures you now?
Me: No one. I sold my car then and used just my bike, so I haven't had insurance. Now I'm buying a car so that's what I need insurance for. I figured I'd get it through you again.
Agent: Oh... So you've been driving without insurance since you last cancelled with us?
Me: No, I haven't been driving at all. I don't even own a car that I could insure. I've been getting around by bicycle the last year and a half.
Agent: Okay... so you don't have a car right now.
Me: Right.
Agent: And that's why you don't have insurance.
Me: Exactly.
Agent: So... you've been driving without insurance for a year and a half?
Me: NO! *facedesk*

I just couldn't get it through his head that I simply wasn't driving. Any car. Whatsoever. I eventually got through to him after about 10 minutes of pulling teeth, but it's really astounding how far outside the box his mind had to stretch just for such a straightforward concept.

Not nearly as face-palm inducing, but I went to pick up a rental car (without DH, who typically comes along) and had the following conversation with the rental guy:

Him: So you only want liability insurance.
Me: Yes.
Him: What happens if you wreck my car?
Me: (pause. realize he's talking about the rental car, and not his personal vehicle.) We will pay for it.
Him: So you have car insurance?
Me: No, we don't have car insurance. That's why we're getting the liability.
Him: So what if you get in a wreck and wreck my car?
Me: We will pay for it. Out of pocket.
Him: But you DO want liability?
Me: Yes. Paying for a car is nothing compared to possible medical expenses. We just want the liability.
Him: *clearly the wheels in his head are still turning as he hands me the paperwork* Sign here.

It felt like he was trying to man-splain and/or up-sell me, and playing on the fact that I was a woman alone (the implication being that I knew nothing about car insurance or could be scared into purchasing more insurance). He also could not process the idea that someone could pay for a car out of pocket if anything happened (also, we now realize we also get loss-damage insurance through our credit card).

Just make sure you understand the terms of that. For most credit cards, the collision damage protection provided by credit cards is secondary - it only kicks in after you've filed a claim through your car insurance company. You'll still have to pay the deductible up front and your premiums may go up. Secondary coverage will only cover things your car insurance does not (it will cover your deductible and other fees).
Also, some vehicles, in particular luxury vehicles, are excluded from coverage.

Some Chase credit cards do have primary coverage of rental cars.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1601 on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:06 PM »
Got paid $500 in cash unexpectedly (long story) and don't know what to do with it. It'd take forever to spend, the bank is out of my way, and I don't like leaving it lying around. Guess I'll just have to hide it in a mattress.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #1602 on: July 17, 2015, 10:42:23 PM »
That's not that much, just put it in your wallet. I've had more than that in mine.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1603 on: July 18, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »
I had the same experience with upselling when purchasing regular car insurance.

Agent: you can add  roadside assistance for just $X/month!
Me: No thank you, I am comfortable with the coverage I have.
Agent: What about rental car coverage while your car is in the shop? You don't want to be without a car while your car is being fixed.
Me: We have two cars, we would be fine.
Agent: Are you sure? The biggest complaint we get is from people who don't get the roadside and rental car protection and are left stranded when something happens.
Me: Well I understand the risks but I have run the numbers on your pricing, compared the alternatives, and like my odds just fine.
Agent: How would you feel if your wife was left stranded alone on the side of the road when you could have had that coverage for just an extra $X per month?

At this point I am pretty annoyed at the thinly veiled suggestion that I am a cheap careless bastard, but I summon my nicest voice to offer a definitive "please go ahead with the coverage that was already agreed upon". She sounded pretty sour as she finished the paperwork and offered the least convincing "have a nice day" I have ever heard when hanging up.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #1604 on: July 18, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
Update: I figured out how to spend my $5 store credit!

purchases:
$3 two body washes
$1.09 a frozen burrito
$1.59 a soy yogurt
$1 can of refried beans
$1 a bottle of ice tea
Total: $7.68

$2.50 in coupons:
$1 body wash
$1 burrito
$.50 beans

Paid: 18¢  plus my $5 coupon

Got $5.25 back in Rebates and store credit:
$2 store credit for next purchase for buying two body washes
$1 yogurt
$.75 tea
$1 bonus for multiple rebates
$.50 beans

Now I have to figure out how to spend the new $2.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1605 on: July 18, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »

Agent: What about rental car coverage while your car is in the shop? You don't want to be without a car while your car is being fixed.
Agent: Are you sure? The biggest complaint we get is from people who don't get the roadside and rental car protection and are left stranded when something happens.
Me: Well I understand the risks but I have run the numbers on your pricing, compared the alternatives, and like my odds just fine.
Agent: How would you feel if your wife was left stranded alone on the side of the road when you could have had that coverage for just an extra $X per month?

At this point I am pretty annoyed at the thinly veiled suggestion that I am a cheap careless bastard, but I summon my nicest voice to offer a definitive "please go ahead with the coverage that was already agreed upon". She sounded pretty sour as she finished the paperwork and offered the least convincing "have a nice day" I have ever heard when hanging up.

Rental cars I can do little about (DH's work gets a discount through the one we use) but I'm always a little shocked when agents--who depend on their clients--are clearly dismissive and, it seems as your post indicates, more than a little rude when selling insurance. Do they just assume the client already has insurance and won't shop around?

(I called every year without fail when my old auto insurance company tried to raise my rates with other quotes; I'm fairly positive they were thrilled that I was gone when I called to cancel after I sold my car...)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1606 on: July 18, 2015, 08:36:54 AM »

Rental cars I can do little about (DH's work gets a discount through the one we use) but I'm always a little shocked when agents--who depend on their clients--are clearly dismissive and, it seems as your post indicates, more than a little rude when selling insurance. Do they just assume the client already has insurance and won't shop around?

(I called every year without fail when my old auto insurance company tried to raise my rates with other quotes; I'm fairly positive they were thrilled that I was gone when I called to cancel after I sold my car...)
Eh, the auto insurance market is highly commoditized and they know that people shop on price. This far down in the underwriting process, they know that I have already picked them because they're the cheapest. It would take me an awful lot more of rudeness from their part for me to be so pissed off that I hang up and call the second best competitor instead. They might as well do a hard sell on the extras, but not until they've secured a solid sale prospect.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #1607 on: July 19, 2015, 05:42:19 AM »
Logging frequently into computers at work just to see if MMM has a new article out yet ... still waiting .... so patiently :)
"            "               "      "             "   "     "       "   "   "  Frugal Toque has a new article out yet ..... still waiting .... soooooo patiently :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1608 on: July 19, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
Logging frequently into computers at work just to see if MMM has a new article out yet ... still waiting .... so patiently :)
"            "               "      "             "   "     "       "   "   "  Frugal Toque has a new article out yet ..... still waiting .... soooooo patiently :)

By the way, do you use RSS? If you don't I highly recommend it over checking any continually updating website manually.

norcalmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1609 on: July 20, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »
I like old cars but they are expensive to buy, maintain and store.
Nice thing is, my 61 VW doublecab pickup is worth 3 times what I paid 3 years ago.
Trouble is bringing myself to sell it.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1610 on: July 20, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »
We visited Starbucks yesterday.  We go so seldom that our card doesn't have the 10 stars necessary to give us free refills.
Haha!  I don't know what stars are or how to get free refills. I usually hit Starbucks at the airport, and work hasn't forced me to travel lately.

I thought it was 5 stars.

You are probably right.  I use the darned thing so seldom I don't even know how many stars I need.  Another bit of ignorance which is a direct result of Mustachianism.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1611 on: July 21, 2015, 09:13:46 AM »
I'm getting initiated into a union all of a sudden and really need to know whether I can pay the initiation fee by credit card. Because if so I want to open one of the cards that has a bonus for spending 3k in the first 3 months or something. But I can't get an answer. My concern is that if I do hear back that it's okay, they're only going to tell me a day or two before the swearing in, but I need to know in enough time to apply for and get the card. And I'm straining my brain but I can't figure out a feasible excuse to get them to hurry up with the answer.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #1612 on: July 21, 2015, 10:16:53 AM »
Update: I figured out how to spend my $5 store credit!

Now I have to figure out how to spend the new $2.

Ha ha ha ha!!!  You are my new hero.  Rock on!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1613 on: July 21, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
I thought I was the only one! At Christmas I am considered weird now because I rarely ask for clothes and never for jewelry.  I don't seem to want much other than giftcards to certain stores, a hair care line that my woolly head happens to like and help cleaning the house and clearing clutter (free).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1614 on: July 21, 2015, 10:50:25 AM »
For my birthday, I'm having a very low cost, low stress "party". Wear a costume to the free admittance zoo I've been wanting to go to. No gifts. Recommend taking transit rather than driving due to insane parking fees. Maybe a little odd, but not hard, right?

You'd think I asked them to invent warp drive.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1615 on: July 21, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »
I got a direct-mail advertisement from Capital One, trying to get me to sign up for a new savings account. It said something like "No one ever told you to dream smaller or save less"...

But people HAVE told me that I should save less!

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #1616 on: July 21, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
For my birthday, I'm having a very low cost, low stress "party". Wear a costume to the free admittance zoo I've been wanting to go to. No gifts. Recommend taking transit rather than driving due to insane parking fees. Maybe a little odd, but not hard, right?

Haha! This sounds awesome. Happy birthday ! :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1617 on: July 21, 2015, 11:04:11 AM »

The words "wear a costume" and "low stress" do not go together, IMO.  That's the most difficult part of your party plan; not the no-gifts, not the transit (though many people just don't care about parking fees).

jordanread

« Reply #1618 on: July 21, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »
I thought I was the only one! At Christmas I am considered weird now because I rarely ask for clothes and never for jewelry. [...]

Ha! When I first got with my SO, I spent a fair amount getting her jewelry. Once I got into decluttering and a more minimalist approach to my surroundings, I noticed that she almost never wore them. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. We did get a silly fake necklace (free gift with a shirt...bamboo and probably turqoise colored concrete), and she wears that more than the sapphire bracelet I got her and the like. I realized that she may actually internalize a bit of what I say regarding usefulness of things, even though she denies it. :)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #1619 on: July 21, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
I figured out my $2! I spent it on a $3 box of cereal, using the $2 credit plus a $1 coupon to make it free, and got $2 back in rebates for it.

This is another thing my husband doesn't get - the whole concept of recycling grocery money, so you are spending the same dollars a few times instead of just once.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1620 on: July 21, 2015, 10:58:18 PM »
Him: "Stop complaining that free stuff is too expensive."

This is beautiful. :D

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1621 on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »

The words "wear a costume" and "low stress" do not go together, IMO.  That's the most difficult part of your party plan; not the no-gifts, not the transit (though many people just don't care about parking fees).

Well, low stress for me. And my birthday is in October, this will be a week or so before Halloween, so it's not so unreasonable. If I were doing it now, then yeah I'd understand.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1622 on: July 22, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »

Well, low stress for me. And my birthday is in October, this will be a week or so before Halloween, so it's not so unreasonable. If I were doing it now, then yeah I'd understand.

Not unreasonable, but still stressful.

<-- Plans business trips around halloween to avoid going to costume parties.  :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1623 on: July 22, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »

<-- Plans business trips around halloween to avoid going to costume parties.  :)
Lol, I feel the opposite!  Our friends get together and wear costumes at regular intervals!  Our wedding was medieval and almost everyone played along :-)  DH and I have a whole closet just full of medieval clothes, and another closet is half full of various costumes that he uses for community theater productions.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1624 on: July 22, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »

Lol, I feel the opposite!  Our friends get together and wear costumes at regular intervals!  Our wedding was medieval and almost everyone played along :-)  DH and I have a whole closet just full of medieval clothes, and another closet is half full of various costumes that he uses for community theater productions.

iowajes - Normally, I'm the same. Too much craziness can happen at costume parties for my taste! I think I'll pick up some birthday hats at the dollar store for those without costumes.

Zaga - I have friends like that, in fact they're invited. For them, the costume isn't the hard part, it's which costume.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #1625 on: July 22, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »

By the way, do you use RSS? If you don't I highly recommend it over checking any continually updating website manually.

Thanks!!! I will look it up to see how that works! :)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1626 on: July 22, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »
Just make sure you understand the terms of that. For most credit cards, the collision damage protection provided by credit cards is secondary - it only kicks in after you've filed a claim through your car insurance company. You'll still have to pay the deductible up front and your premiums may go up. Secondary coverage will only cover things your car insurance does not (it will cover your deductible and other fees).
Also, some vehicles, in particular luxury vehicles, are excluded from coverage.

Some Chase credit cards do have primary coverage of rental cars.

I don't have car insurance because I don't have a car, and I have capital one. I guess I'll have took into that.

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #1627 on: July 22, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Small rant: getting REALLY*, irrationally annoyed by people who don't walk up/down escalators. Or who don't at least get "stand right/walk left".

*I just came from a conference that was on two levels, joined by a 3-storey-tall escalator. 4 days of: breakfast/escalator/talks/escalator/break/escalator/talks/escalator/lunch/escalator/talks/escalator/break/escalator/talks/escalator/reception

Yes, I could have taken the stairs, if I cared enough to try to find them (and I didn't, really). And was I really in that much of a hurry to transition between floors (no.... I guess)? But I hated the helpless sloth of simply standing there, and the cluelessness of not letting others pass. What's with that?

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #1628 on: July 22, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »
Related conference-inspired rant:

People who stand IN the little sidewalk dip/ramp while they wait for the walk light in their direction to change, completely blocking your path to enter the crosswalk and cross the street in your direction, which currently has the go-ahead. Especially annoying when you're towing 80 pounds of conference-related baggage to the train station because, unlike your soft, coddled colleagues, you don't want to burden the taxpayers (yourself included) with cab fare for a 500m trip to the station.

(Really, rant aside, it was a chance to reflect on how fortunate I am to only need that dip when I am encumbered by massive luggage, and to ensure that I remain able-bodied into old age by using 'muscle over motor')

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1629 on: July 22, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Yes, I could have taken the stairs, if I cared enough to try to find them (and I didn't, really). And was I really in that much of a hurry to transition between floors (no.... I guess)? But I hated the helpless sloth of simply standing there, and the cluelessness of not letting others pass. What's with that?

Lol my mustachian people problem is the fact that buildings are designed to make easy access available to the elevators/escalators.  I know there is a handicap accessible reason for the elevator to be right up front, but I would like to find a set of stairs without having to pull out a map, compass, and trained bloodhound.

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1630 on: July 22, 2015, 11:03:55 PM »
As of this summer I can't get a leaf on my Nest anymore without pushing the minimum temp on my AC to 84F, which is uncomfortable even with the overhead fan on when I'm overwarm from doing dishes and cleaning chores by hand. And the free light from the sun heats the house up. I can't tell if I'm spoiled and soft or just pushing it too hard, but am inclined to think it's still mostly the first one.

Plus, I've brought home unwanted catering leftovers so many times lately that my own produce is starting to spoil because I haven't had time/ appetite left over to eat it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1631 on: July 23, 2015, 12:25:28 AM »
I've switched off my 'want' impulses so many times my mother has started asking me now what I want for my birthday (three months away) so I have some time to come up with something equally pleasing and practical.

I started a note for it in my phone. So far the list is:
  • new tea-towels
  • a second homemade wheatbag

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1632 on: July 23, 2015, 05:56:31 AM »
I've switched off my 'want' impulses so many times my mother has started asking me now what I want for my birthday (three months away) so I have some time to come up with something equally pleasing and practical.

• new tea-towels

I keep a running list for this specific purpose. It includes things like wool dryer balls (my mom will roll her eyes at the utilitarian nature of my list, and then proceed to stick to it because she loves me).

I'm also now keeping a list of clothing items for when mine wear out. I'm on a no-spend challenge for the year re: clothing, but when I do begin to replace pieces, I have specific (slow fashion, quality, versatile pieces for my increasingly minimalist wardrobe) that I want to replace.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1633 on: July 23, 2015, 06:00:55 AM »
Small rant: getting REALLY*, irrationally annoyed by people who don't walk up/down escalators. Or who don't at least get "stand right/walk left".

This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing. When I walked up escalators as a kid my parents would tell me to stop because it's dangerous, so I've always been firmly taught that you stand still on an escalator until you get to the end. I don't think I've ever seen an adult walk on an escalator in my life.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1634 on: July 23, 2015, 06:09:07 AM »

This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing. When I walked up escalators as a kid my parents would tell me to stop because it's dangerous, so I've always been firmly taught that you stand still on an escalator until you get to the end. I don't think I've ever seen an adult walk on an escalator in my life.

Ha ha ha what? You've obviously never been on the Tube in London. STAND ON THE RIGHT. That way people who actually have somewhere to get can run / walk / skip past you.

It probably is 'dangerous' but, since we're on MMM, we know safety is a fallacy, right?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1635 on: July 23, 2015, 06:12:04 AM »

Ha ha ha what? You've obviously never been on the Tube in London. STAND ON THE RIGHT. That way people who actually have somewhere to get can run / walk / skip past you.

It probably is 'dangerous' but, since we're on MMM, we know safety is a fallacy, right?

I've noticed escalator norms are regional/ cultural.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1636 on: July 23, 2015, 06:26:01 AM »
And I was probably being a bit harsh, sorry Heather. You're certainly not the first person to think it, since I've noticed a recent campaign on the Tube about rushing = danger. They have also started announcements to look up from your phone on the platform when a train is approaching. Seriously, all this hand-holding, the world is dangerous BS really annoys me. We only have time to be worried about these things because we live in such a privileged bubble.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #1637 on: July 23, 2015, 06:39:04 AM »

• new tea-towels

I keep a running list for this specific purpose. It includes things like wool dryer balls (my mom will roll her eyes at the utilitarian nature of my list, and then proceed to stick to it because she loves me).

I'm also now keeping a list of clothing items for when mine wear out. I'm on a no-spend challenge for the year re: clothing, but when I do begin to replace pieces, I have specific (slow fashion, quality, versatile pieces for my increasingly minimalist wardrobe) that I want to replace.

Same. lol.
My birthday is next week and all i asked for was a new Wahl beard trimmer, costing 15$. My parents and GF are always frustrated by how little I want.

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #1638 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:28 AM »
Leaving traditional employment in a couple weeks and I find myself wondering how not bringing leftovers home from the catered lunches and gizmos tossed out as unrepairable from production/repair depot are going to affect my spending!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1639 on: July 23, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »
(my mom will roll her eyes at the utilitarian nature of my list, and then proceed to stick to it because she loves me).

I wish I could figure out how to get people in my life to do this.  My Mom rejects my Christmas list yearly until it has something frivolous enough on it.

My MIL requests a list, and then just ignores it entirely and buys me junk.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #1640 on: July 23, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
(my mom will roll her eyes at the utilitarian nature of my list, and then proceed to stick to it because she loves me).

I wish I could figure out how to get people in my life to do this.  My Mom rejects my Christmas list yearly until it has something frivolous enough on it.

My GF's mom just took me to TJ Maxx and told me to pick something out. I picked out a pound of ground coffee and metal measuring spoons. She was NOT happy, lol.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1641 on: July 23, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »

My mom gets me the same shit every year:

Silver dollar Proof
Proof set of year's coins
Something silly
Money

My birthday falls right around x-mas so everything gets combined into one.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1642 on: July 23, 2015, 07:49:55 AM »

That's probably entirely true. Here in the Michigan/Ohio areas of the US you can even find signs next to escalators asking people not to walk on them. It's been like this all my life. I find it quite interesting that there are places where walking on them is seen as acceptable/normal.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1643 on: July 23, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
New mustachian person problem: a salesman dropped off a load of biscuits (cookies) at the office. Since I have no desire to eat sugary artificially flavoured biscuits, off to the foodbank they go, where they won't be wasted. Except... the drop off point is at my local shopping centre, and we all know how often mustachians visit shopping centres.

I'm going to have to make special trip to get rid of biscuits I didn't even want!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1644 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »
I've never heard someone say not to walk on an escalator.  That would drive me batty if it weren't allowed.  Escalators help you get up stairs faster; if you just wanted a ride, that's what an elevator is for.

theadvicist- are you the only person in the office? Could someone else take the biscuits? Would a neighbor want them, that way you don't have to make a special trip? What about the office next door?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1645 on: July 23, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
Now that library cards are free here and I work half a block from the library and I keep seeing recommendations on this forum for awesome books to check out I have a library book addiction. I keep putting books on hold and they are coming in faster than I can keep up!

Too many books, not enough time.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #1646 on: July 23, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »
How is walking on an escalator unsafe?  They are stairs that move very slowly.  I've walked up actual stairs next to an escalator and get to the top before riders do.

I guess that's why I get so pissed about people blocking the way up an escalator or on a moving sidewalk.  Why do I want to take a slower method to get up a flight of stairs?  Outta my way, jerkass!  /Homer

PlanetDee

• Stubble
« Reply #1647 on: July 23, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »

That's probably entirely true. Here in the Michigan/Ohio areas of the US you can even find signs next to escalators asking people not to walk on them. It's been like this all my life. I find it quite interesting that there are places where walking on them is seen as acceptable/normal.

This is great. In the Seattle area we walk up them all the time, and I have the same frustration when there aren't any stairs and people don't stand on the right.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1648 on: July 23, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »

I walk up/down them wherever in the world I happen to be. I always check if they're backed up, in which case I take the stairs. When I'm feeling well, I'm a very active type, and don't like to be slowed down.

This is great. In the Seattle area we walk up them all the time, and I have the same frustration when there aren't any stairs and people don't stand on the right.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1649 on: July 23, 2015, 01:54:43 PM »

I walk up/down them wherever in the world I happen to be. I always check if they're backed up, in which case I take the stairs. When I'm feeling well, I'm a very active type, and don't like to be slowed down.

I listen to a message about this every day from speakers next to the escalator... and no one cares. "Please do not walk or run on the escalator" it says... and everyone ignores the crap out of that message and walks up it. I always thought of them as speed enhancers.