Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086775 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5850 on: January 10, 2019, 02:40:25 AM »
I got a blister on my heel from walking to work this morning. In the afternoon I need to walk back the same 7,5 km with the blister. :-(
Ouch!

No biking? That could even transform into a serious health trouble. A blister that is scraped down to the blood can be infected. I know someone who had to be hospitalized because of this. And that person walked less than 7km with an open blister.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5851 on: January 10, 2019, 03:57:23 AM »
I got a blister on my heel from walking to work this morning. In the afternoon I need to walk back the same 7,5 km with the blister. :-(
Ouch!

No biking? That could even transform into a serious health trouble. A blister that is scraped down to the blood can be infected. I know someone who had to be hospitalized because of this. And that person walked less than 7km with an open blister.

No biking. I need to walk partly on a forest path with a lot of snow. The rest of the route is icy.
I have had blisters before, without ever getting hospitalized. I will try to score some sports tape at work. Maybe it is even in my closet in the dressing room. I will shower tonight and wash my feet and the blister carefully.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5852 on: January 10, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
Ouch!

No biking. I need to walk partly on a forest path with a lot of snow. The rest of the route is icy.
I have had blisters before, without ever getting hospitalized. I will try to score some sports tape at work. Maybe it is even in my closet in the dressing room. I will shower tonight and wash my feet and the blister carefully.

Have you ever used moleskin or a similar product? It's incredible- unlike sports tape, it doesn't go directly over the blister, just around it, and so it won't rip the skin when you remove it. https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Moleskin-Plus-strips/dp/B001OPJ8KS?ref_=Oct_TopRatedC_3779981_0&pf_rd_p=5ec8b635-4d9e-5e3c-9368-2033872e1218&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3779981&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WA0D97A7W80BSQHX8MVQ&pf_rd_r=WA0D97A7W80BSQHX8MVQ&pf_rd_p=5ec8b635-4d9e-5e3c-9368-2033872e1218 The way I was taught to use it in my wilderness firstaid class is to cut the spot for the blister then leave the 'pad' around it and stick it on, so the blister can breathe and isn't directly covered. I always carry a small piece in my purse, super helpful!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5853 on: January 10, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »
Ouch!

Have you ever used moleskin or a similar product? It's incredible- unlike sports tape, it doesn't go directly over the blister, just around it, and so it won't rip the skin when you remove it. https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Moleskin-Plus-strips/dp/B001OPJ8KS?ref_=Oct_TopRatedC_3779981_0&pf_rd_p=5ec8b635-4d9e-5e3c-9368-2033872e1218&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3779981&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WA0D97A7W80BSQHX8MVQ&pf_rd_r=WA0D97A7W80BSQHX8MVQ&pf_rd_p=5ec8b635-4d9e-5e3c-9368-2033872e1218 The way I was taught to use it in my wilderness firstaid class is to cut the spot for the blister then leave the 'pad' around it and stick it on, so the blister can breathe and isn't directly covered. I always carry a small piece in my purse, super helpful!
Another moleskin fan over here! I have bony feet and moleskin is my friend, especially in my retail years, ugh. However, our friend L_N is frugal, so she's not going to go out and buy it today. Tape and good wound care will carry the day until she can score some moleskin at a good price for future use. Doesn't hurt to poke around in the company first aid kit, if there is one.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5854 on: January 10, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »
Ouch!

For balance, I have had many, many blisters that have scraped down to blood and walked many km on them and never had a serious issue. They can be mightly uncomfortable though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5855 on: January 10, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »
Ouch!

For balance, I have had many, many blisters that have scraped down to blood and walked many km on them and never had a serious issue. They can be mightly uncomfortable though.

I put a plaster on it and walked home without feeling my heel.

laserlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5856 on: January 10, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »
I'd like to put the money from my last paycheck into my IRA immediately, since I usually try to max that out as soon as I can at the beginning of the year.  But, my cash reserves got rather depleted when both my 24-year-old furnace and my 8-year-old laptop gave up the ghost and needed to be replaced in December, and then we went into shutdown mode, so I'm going to have to hold off on investing until I know I'm going to get paid again.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5857 on: January 10, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »
On the subject of blisters... Moleskin would definitely be best if you already have a blister, but if you happen to notice a "hot spot," meaning a tender, possibly red area that's not a blister yet but feels like it will become one, leukotape works wonders. It's very adherent, very flexible tape that you put right over the area. Leukotape is hard to remove, so make sure you put it where you want it and don't need to remove it for at least several days! I've worn it for a week-long backpacking trip followed by several showers before it finally started peeling off. But it kept me from getting blisters, and I didn't have to waste time every day tending to my feet. It's also good for days when you know you'll be doing a lot of walking in questionable shoes. And once you know where you tend to get blisters, you can put it on before heading out on a hike or a long day of walking.

Regarding infections... I've never had an infected blister. I can see that potentially being an issue for a diabetic, though.

https://www.amazon.com/BSN-Medical-BEI076168-Leukotape-Sports/dp/B000E59HXC/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1547160346&sr=1-2&keywords=leukotape

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5858 on: January 11, 2019, 08:33:19 AM »

Look for some "moleskin tape" at your local pharmacy. I carry it on big hikes. It covers the blister and absorbs the friction.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5859 on: January 11, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »
On the subject of blisters... Moleskin would definitely be best if you already have a blister, but if you happen to notice a "hot spot," meaning a tender, possibly red area that's not a blister yet but feels like it will become one, leukotape works wonders. It's very adherent, very flexible tape that you put right over the area. Leukotape is hard to remove, so make sure you put it where you want it and don't need to remove it for at least several days! I've worn it for a week-long backpacking trip followed by several showers before it finally started peeling off. But it kept me from getting blisters, and I didn't have to waste time every day tending to my feet. It's also good for days when you know you'll be doing a lot of walking in questionable shoes. And once you know where you tend to get blisters, you can put it on before heading out on a hike or a long day of walking.

Regarding infections... I've never had an infected blister. I can see that potentially being an issue for a diabetic, though.

https://www.amazon.com/BSN-Medical-BEI076168-Leukotape-Sports/dp/B000E59HXC/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1547160346&sr=1-2&keywords=leukotape

Good point. Slow healing foot sores are actually a common sign you may have insulin resistance and blood sugar problems. It's one of those 'definitely tell your doc' type symptoms.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5860 on: January 11, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
Also my new bond fund has an expense fee of 0.25%, I am in a 90/10 asset allocation so it isn't a lot of money and it is the lowest fee on a bond but I don't love it.  The stock fees are all 0.0_%, much more to my liking.
So do bonds in your IRA at Vanguard instead, and be 100% stock for the 401k. Asset allocation is across your whole portfolio, not per account.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5861 on: January 13, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
Chase just sent me a mail advertisement for a $225 bonus if I open a Chase Savings account, deposit $15K and leave it there for 90 days.
This equates to approximately 6% (annualized) yield over 3 months on my savings (better than the 2% I'm getting at Ally right now, and assuming the Chase Savings account has an APY that is probably almost 0%.)

Sure, I'll bite. I signed up for it this morning, and I tried to make the 15K transfer from Ally.  My MPP?  The Chase website said the maximum transfer per day is $10K!  So I had to schedule two consecutive transfers, one for $10K on Monday, and another for $5K on Tuesday.  Also, it pushes the date back one more day that I had to schedule my Google Calendar reminder to transfer the $15K from Chase back to Ally.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5862 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »
Chase just sent me a mail advertisement for a $225 bonus if I open a Chase Savings account, deposit $15K and leave it there for 90 days.
This equates to approximately 6% (annualized) yield over 3 months on my savings (better than the 2% I'm getting at Ally right now, and assuming the Chase Savings account has an APY that is probably almost 0%.)

Sure, I'll bite. I signed up for it this morning, and I tried to make the 15K transfer from Ally.  My MPP?  The Chase website said the maximum transfer per day is $10K!  So I had to schedule two consecutive transfers, one for $10K on Monday, and another for $5K on Tuesday.  Also, it pushes the date back one more day that I had to schedule my Google Calendar reminder to transfer the $15K from Chase back to Ally.

Check out the bank bonus thread if you haven’t yet.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/bank-account-churning-how-to-make-$1600-in-a-year-by-being-organized/

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5863 on: January 13, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »
I did the Chase thing a couple of years ago.  When you want to close the account, you have to go to a branch in person, and wait for a non-teller to be available.  And be careful not to let your account be empty and open long enough to incur a fee.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5864 on: January 13, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
For the tall ladies; think of places where it'd be easier to get stuff for tall people. I'm a tiny person with midget feet and I always tend to buy my shoes when on vacation as it's easier to get them. In my own country I'm stuck at the children's department most of the time. I wouldn't care for stuff like jackets, but shoes are often full of glitter and I hate glitter. For tall people I've heard sometimes the male section can have good options, but that will depend on your curviness as well.

I guess these things aren't too feasible to do regularly, but I've found international default sizes to be a very interesting way to enhance my clothes-shopping pleasure (which I hate in general).

I am also tall and I’ve found that Uniqlo jeans are lovely and long.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5865 on: January 13, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »
I did the Chase thing a couple of years ago.  When you want to close the account, you have to go to a branch in person, and wait for a non-teller to be available.  And be careful not to let your account be empty and open long enough to incur a fee.

Pretty sure we closed our Chase account over the phone... That was about three years ago.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5866 on: January 13, 2019, 05:02:07 PM »
I guess this is also a sort of Mustachian people problem:

I have a cell phone plan with only half a gb of data per month, for the price of 12$. I can transfer whenever I have leftover at the end of the month to next month, maximum half a gb. I do this every month, so at every new month, I start with 1 gb and send half a gb to next month.
In December my provider gave me an extra gb as a gift. So I started with 2 gb. I travelled abroad (within Europe), but visited homes with wifi. I did use my data a little bit. Then I spent some time at our cabin, using 4G for a week. But I only managed to use up half a gb of the 2 gb that I had. So I have lost all but half a gb this month.

Linda, I had a similar problem. I got 1000 free minutes with my phone plan every month. Never used all of them each month so literally once I had accumulated about 45,000 minutes on my account due to the roll over. I have been with them for years.  I wish I could have gifted them to someone who talks on the phone. They’ve taken them away since though. Total MPP.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5867 on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:46 AM »
We'll see what the next few months bear out for them.

I see what you did there. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5868 on: January 14, 2019, 07:37:02 AM »

Totally trying this, thank you @GreenSheep!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5869 on: January 14, 2019, 07:46:59 AM »

Dicey, if you're prone to allergic reactions to adhesive, just proceed with caution- try a small test patch first, where it's easier to soak and remove if needed. I've seen KT and the like to some alarming things to human skin =\ I'd say 1 of 4 patients I've had react to kinesio and other PT style tapes. (Although I work with peds, who generally are more sensitive to stuff, so YMMV on adult rates, lol).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5870 on: January 14, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »

Dicey, if you're prone to allergic reactions to adhesive, just proceed with caution- try a small test patch first, where it's easier to soak and remove if needed. I've seen KT and the like to some alarming things to human skin =\ I'd say 1 of 4 patients I've had react to kinesio and other PT style tapes. (Although I work with peds, who generally are more sensitive to stuff, so YMMV on adult rates, lol).
Thanks, @Bracken_Joy. I noticed that in the reviews. I'm thinking of using it only on my feet, where the skin is thicker. Funny, my first thought was to check on Next Door to see if I can get a small test strip to try before I order it.  Then I realized I'm picking up my new orthotics today. I'll see if they have any samples.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5871 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:21 AM »
Check out the bank bonus thread if you haven’t yet.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/bank-account-churning-how-to-make-$1600-in-a-year-by-being-organized/

Thanks! I just checked the doctorofcredit page, and I saw a juicy CapitalOne promo giving $200 for 90 days of having $10K on deposit.  I have a new MPP though: I don't know if I'm eligible for that CapOne promo because I am still listed as a "signer" on a CapitalOne business account (for my condo association reserves). I have been trying to get me removed as a signer on that account for quite a while now, since I haven't been on the condo board for about 2 years.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try anyway, since CapOne pays about the same interest as Ally anyway...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5872 on: January 14, 2019, 09:55:16 AM »
My MPP is the emotional roller coaster of this recent conversation with a relative:

They are moving away from their "wealth management" group which has a $$$ fee (yay!) and moving their money to Vanguard (yay!) with the intent to .... day trade (noooooo!) But it's okay! They have A Plan! (cringe)

They are going to day trade when the market volatility is so erratic that no one knows what it will do?  Literally no one?

Wow.   That's some chutzpah.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #5873 on: January 14, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »
My MPP is the emotional roller coaster of this recent conversation with a relative:

They are moving away from their "wealth management" group which has a $$$ fee (yay!) and moving their money to Vanguard (yay!) with the intent to .... day trade (noooooo!) But it's okay! They have A Plan! (cringe)

They are going to day trade when the market volatility is so erratic that no one knows what it will do?  Literally no one?

Wow.   That's some chutzpah.

I mean, isn't that true of the market at all times? Why is right now any different then tomorrow or yesterday, or 1 year ago, or 1 year from now? It's always erratic and literally no one knows what it will do

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5874 on: January 14, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »
Well, they are chipping away at my "effective" yield (by wasting my time.)  Apparently the transaction got flagged in their fraud department, and I wasted more than a half hour on the phone with a three-way-call between Chase and Ally so that Chase could be confident that it was "legitimate" that I was xferring $15K into my newly opened account.  What a bunch of assclowns.

And now I'm going to feel a twinge of anger for the next 3 months, as I see that savings account on my screen whenever I log-in to see my Chase checking account.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:26:45 PM by rantk81 »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5875 on: January 14, 2019, 05:31:45 PM »
Since the Federal Employee's shutdown stories (and it should have) got nuked I'll mentioned this here as a MPP.  My MPP having to keep my mouth shut when my co-workers are complaining about their hardships.  We are all working so it is a big topic at the "water cooler."  Most comment 1 missed check is ok but now they are getting concerned.   Me:  It'll be months before I'd have to consider pulling money out of my taxable account let alone worry about missing a bill.

When I mentioned I made sure to send a "paycheck" from my emergency fund to my checking account on Friday I got the can you send me some money.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5876 on: January 15, 2019, 01:00:17 AM »
Since the Federal Employee's shutdown stories (and it should have) got nuked I'll mentioned this here as a MPP.  My MPP having to keep my mouth shut when my co-workers are complaining about their hardships.  We are all working so it is a big topic at the "water cooler."  Most comment 1 missed check is ok but now they are getting concerned.   Me:  It'll be months before I'd have to consider pulling money out of my taxable account let alone worry about missing a bill.

When I mentioned I made sure to send a "paycheck" from my emergency fund to my checking account on Friday I got the can you send me some money.

I can imagine that even Mustachian people in the earlier stages of their accumulation phase, would have trouble not getting paid. Especially if they still have a mortgage and kindergarten to pay for. And the unfortunates who work there both.

But I do understand your point, as DH and I have always been so Mustachian that we could probably have lived of one income at almost any time of our lives, but it would have been a bit hard in the beginning.

This government shutdown is threatening to last for a year or so. If I were a FED employee in financial trouble, I would consider a job change if something decent comes along...

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5877 on: January 15, 2019, 04:33:17 AM »
Linda, unfortunately for my co-workers all but one have 15+ years in our career.  The one who is newer is also the person who is complaining the least about making ends meet.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #5878 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:29 AM »

Thanks, @Bracken_Joy. I noticed that in the reviews. I'm thinking of using it only on my feet, where the skin is thicker. Funny, my first thought was to check on Next Door to see if I can get a small test strip to try before I order it.  Then I realized I'm picking up my new orthotics today. I'll see if they have any samples.

knowing how to find and treat a hotspot before it ruins a whole trip is a very smart thing.  small invest , big protection from trip ruining blisters

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5879 on: January 15, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »

There is one thing especially I am confused about:
IT IS NOT THE FIRST SHUTDOWN
and with someone like Trump it was a winner's bet (like the one about him lying) that there would be a shutdown. They had the whole year to prepare. (Not to mention the years before when the GOP said openly they would block everything Obama does.)

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5880 on: January 15, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »

There is one thing especially I am confused about:
IT IS NOT THE FIRST SHUTDOWN
and with someone like Trump it was a winner's bet (like the one about him lying) that there would be a shutdown. They had the whole year to prepare. (Not to mention the years before when the GOP said openly they would block everything Obama does.)

Yes but most shut downs are short, the earlier Trump shut downs lasted less than 48 working hours.  So them may have canceled training or a meeting but when this shut down is significantly different.  It actually caused me to miss an entire paycheck.  In my 18 years working for the Federal government this is the first complete paycheck I have "missed."  The 2013 Obama shutdown caused me to to received a partial paycheck (I was paid for 48 of 80 hours) and it was "fixed" in time for the next paycheck to come out.  An extended shutdown that leads to a $0 paycheck is rare.  And it has only ever been 1 paycheck as far as I know.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5881 on: January 15, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »
ADP sent me a W2 from my former employer.  Did they not get the memo?  What am I supposed to do with this, enter it into TurboTax as $0?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5882 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
I just realized I've been around this place so long that my screen name jumps out at me in scanning text the same way my actual name does.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5883 on: January 15, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »
I just realized I've been around this place so long that my screen name jumps out at me in scanning text the same way my actual name does.

Yeah, whenever I see a dragoncar in real life I definitely think of this forum

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #5884 on: January 16, 2019, 10:03:32 AM »
when i see a rural juror in real life

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5885 on: January 16, 2019, 10:10:36 AM »
Man, now I really want people to start associating Zikoris with Spongebob Squarepants.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5886 on: January 16, 2019, 03:30:31 PM »
I thought I was the only one.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5887 on: January 16, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »
I thought I was the only one.
Heh, I don't think I'll ever be that lucky :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5888 on: January 17, 2019, 07:36:00 AM »
Man, now I really want people to start associating Zikoris with Spongebob Squarepants.

You have reminded me of that for a long time. ;-)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5889 on: January 17, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
Met a Paul the other day, almost said “me too”. My name is not Paul.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5890 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:58 AM »
Met a Paul the other day, almost said “me too”. My name is not Paul.

You mean you STOLE your handle wholesale from an honest, hardworking soccer-loving German octopus? For shame. :)

highplainsdrifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5891 on: January 19, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »
I'm looking at my closet today and I think, I remember buying those pants when I graduated college 8 years ago. I have no plans on replacing them either. I then proceed to secure the 8 year old pants with a belt that my mother bought me as a freshman in high school 16 years ago. I have no plans on replacing the belt either.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5892 on: January 20, 2019, 01:46:31 AM »
I'm looking at my closet today and I think, I remember buying those pants when I graduated college 8 years ago. I have no plans on replacing them either. I then proceed to secure the 8 year old pants with a belt that my mother bought me as a freshman in high school 16 years ago. I have no plans on replacing the belt either.

Awesome.  My DH is still using the wallet his parents gave him for his 16th birthday.  He's 52. 

Philosophical question -- is this really an MPP?  Because it seems 100% good.  If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one to hear it . . . ?  :)

Korrywow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • World of Wonders, Words of Wisdom
« Reply #5893 on: January 20, 2019, 02:19:24 AM »
I still use a leather toiletry(sp?) travel bag that my mother gave me approx 35 years ago. The zipper is broken so l put it into another durable bag that l close with a twist tie.

Both friends and customs officials have been impressed.

Also, have some friends who refuse to visit my place due to empty rooms, empty closets, and the half empty fridge really makes them nervous...

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5894 on: January 20, 2019, 08:12:53 AM »
@Korrywow - you could probably take that leather toiletry bag to a shoe repair shop and have a new zipper put on. I have no idea what that might cost, but heck, it might give you another 35 years!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5895 on: January 20, 2019, 08:52:00 AM »
MPP... our move gave us access to city compost and a recycling system that still accepts a lot of plastics. So now we have very little trash. This means, even with our relatively small can, our trash starts to stink long before it's full (dog poo....). I hate wasting the bags by throwing them away partially filled, but I can't handle the smell!

(For the "solvers", no, my city doesn't do plastic shopping bags, and I use my own bags anyway, so I can't just use those. We don't eat cereal or bread, so can't use those bags either. Current plan is for the time being to use the plastic produce bags as a bag within a bag for the dog poo bags, but even those will be gone soon when we get our reusable produce bags bought!)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5896 on: January 20, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
(For the "solvers",
Hot damn, I'm a stereotype.

For potentially stinky-becoming stuff that won't be thrown out for a while, sometimes I'll store it in a freezer if I have space.

Probably not the best option for dog poo, though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5897 on: January 20, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »
MPP... our move gave us access to city compost and a recycling system that still accepts a lot of plastics. So now we have very little trash. This means, even with our relatively small can, our trash starts to stink long before it's full (dog poo....). I hate wasting the bags by throwing them away partially filled, but I can't handle the smell!

(For the "solvers", no, my city doesn't do plastic shopping bags, and I use my own bags anyway, so I can't just use those. We don't eat cereal or bread, so can't use those bags either. Current plan is for the time being to use the plastic produce bags as a bag within a bag for the dog poo bags, but even those will be gone soon when we get our reusable produce bags bought!)

Could you get a different type of indoor bin, like the ones they used to use for women's sanitary towels. There you don't need to open the whole lid to throw something away.

At our house, if we have a smelly bag, we hang it outside on a spike, until it can be put in the bigger bin. Whenever we eat shrimp(s), the shells really smell very soon. I put those in 2 bags and hang the bag outside in the spike until garbage is collected. I have learned not to put these in the composting bin, as it will smell for 2 months.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5898 on: January 20, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
(For the "solvers",

For potentially stinky-becoming stuff that won't be thrown out for a while, sometimes I'll store it in a freezer if I have space.

Warning: people with a sensitive stomach probably should not read on.

I grew up on a hobby farm and we used to store dead small animals in the lowest drawer of the freezer (i.e. chickens and rabbits).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5899 on: January 20, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
(For the "solvers",

Warning: people with a sensitive stomach probably should not read on.

I grew up on a hobby farm and we used to store dead small animals in the lowest drawer of the freezer (i.e. chickens and rabbits).

*gives farmer high five* Been there.

(For the "solvers",

Yeah I'm definitely not throwing dog crap in my freezer, haha!

Could you get a different type of indoor bin, like the ones they used to use for women's sanitary towels. There you don't need to open the whole lid to throw something away.

At our house, if we have a smelly bag, we hang it outside on a spike, until it can be put in the bigger bin. Whenever we eat shrimp(s), the shells really smell very soon. I put those in 2 bags and hang the bag outside in the spike until garbage is collected. I have learned not to put these in the composting bin, as it will smell for 2 months.

I don't like the thought of it rotting in there, even if I can find a way to block the smell more. Doesn't seem sanitary. Plus, my husband is staunchly anti-lidded trash can because they get so gross. We have an open top bin under the sink, so there isn't plastic that can come in contact with stuff being thrown away.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!