Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 915399 times)

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2450 on: February 03, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »
My mustachian problem of the moment:

I need to throw out my shoes.

It was raining in Chicago today, and while crossing the street, I stepped into a VERY SHALLOW puddle.. like maybe 1/2 inch or less.  But I felt cold water seeping into my foot!

Turns out, the rubber bottom of my shoe (that I bought about 4 years ago), has completely warn off, and the exposed area above the rubber has cracked (along the steam of the arch of my foot.)  Time to throw those shoes out.

Oh well, I have 2 brand new pairs of shoes that I was given as gifts, that I haven't even worn yet, and have been keeping for a couple of years :D

Other than athletic shoes I actually buy mostly expensive shoes that can be resoled. They tend to be made of much nicer materials and over a lifetime the cost is not too bad. Plus, the cheaper "dress" shoes I used to wear and cheap boots tend to make my feet smell funny (synthetic materials? not breathable? It's probably not the synthetics because athletic shoes are synthetic and don't make my feet smell) and the expensive ones do not.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2451 on: February 03, 2016, 04:13:34 AM »
If you buy a newly-constructed house, you can know for sure that the only people who have been inside have been construction workers, who are universally regarded for their commitment to sanitation.

Yeah, and imagine building a house on used land! The horror! Who knows how many feet have trodden that less-than-virgin soil.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2452 on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:26 AM »
If you buy a newly-constructed house, you can know for sure that the only people who have been inside have been construction workers, who are universally regarded for their commitment to sanitation.
Yeah, and imagine building a house on used land! The horror! Who knows how many feet have trodden that less-than-virgin soil.

This is why the best evil masterminds require volcanic abodes or underground lairs they dug out with robots.  Obviously.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2453 on: February 03, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »

This is why the best evil masterminds require volcanic abodes or underground lairs they dug out with robots.  Obviously.

Sounds promising.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2454 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:10 AM »

I've lived in 8 used houses and 4 used apartments, I may not survive much longer after all that.
btw. what is it I'm going to die from?

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2455 on: February 03, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Yesterday I was home, the dishwasher was pretty full so I added soap and ran it. When it was finished I shook the water off the racks and turned the fan on to air dry them. Then I put all the dishes in their proper place along with all the silverware.
 When my wife got home from work and noticed I ran the dishwasher, she commented if you're going to run the dishwasher, get my cup from the water dispenser on the refridgerator and wash it.   meh!
  I should have taked a bike ride instead. :-)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2456 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »
We were looking at an estate sale here and the realtor said no-chain, the owner died. Then did a massive double take and spent the rest of the tour re-assuring us that she had died in hospital not in the house.
Our house in the UK was nearly 200years old - so 10 generations had been born or died in it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2457 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »

I certainly would never breathe used air

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:03:33 PM by dragoncar »

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2458 on: February 03, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
We were looking at an estate sale here and the realtor said no-chain, the owner died. Then did a massive double take and spent the rest of the tour re-assuring us that she had died in hospital not in the house.
Our house in the UK was nearly 200years old - so 10 generations had been born or died in it.
LOL! I own a rental in a retirement community. My first tenant lived there for the final nine years of his life. He told me he intended to stay until his last breath and I heartily approved of his plan. He got his wish. When it came time to re-list the home, I was completely open about it. No one batted an eyelash. Seems among the senior set, dying at home is the gold standard. RIP Jack, I miss you.

P.S. This is Jack's favorite joke, told to me many times with twinkling eyes, an impish grin and a perfect Scottish burr. He'd say "I'm Scottish and I'm Jewish, d'you know what that means?...I know how to make it and I know how to keep it." Ah, Jack. Possibly the oldest, wisest, funniest Mustachian I ever met.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2459 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »

I certainly would never breathe used air

Certainly not!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2460 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
MPP: Someone I know slightly asked me if I could help them with a really complicated tax issue, saying that someone he works with (who I also know slightly) told him they thought I was an accountant.

But... I'm not an accountant! They must have overheard a comment about 'financial spreadsheets' or 'tax planning' or something and just assumed... haha.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2461 on: February 03, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »

A friend of mine's wife teaches in a fairly tony school district. She overheard one of her fellow teachers denigrating people who buy "used houses" rather than building new.

What's really weird about this is that it was said by a teacher.  It doesn't matter how tony the neighborhood; if you're a teacher, you're not making much.  The parents of the kids you are teaching might have the means to have such a ridiculous attitude, but the teacher doesn't.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2462 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:16 AM »
While doing a demo on a very high end house we found beer cans inside of cinder blocks.

In my old apartment I found some cans of cider in the roof space (cider in the UK is all alcoholic, btw, so not only were the workmen untidy, they were drinking on the job!).

Anyway, as I lifted them out, I was like, "These are half full! Who wastes good cider like that?!", and my husband was all, "love... what's in those cans ain't cider..."

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #2463 on: February 04, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »
What's really weird about this is that it was said by a teacher.  It doesn't matter how tony the neighborhood; if you're a teacher, you're not making much.

Maybe it depends on the country. I make enough to be in the top 10% salaries in Canada and my ex-wife teacher basically made as much as me or more when you factor in that she has a defined benefits pension for 70% of her salary after 35 years. She can just spend it all and still be pretty certain of a good retirement.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #2464 on: February 04, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »
On my first pass through our 2015 taxes yesterday, I was horrified to discover we nearly blew the tIRA MAGI phaseout and were only "saved" by underperforming rentals (big vacancies etc) - we squeaked in just under the limit. We both just got raises, and rentals + side work should net at least $10K more in 2016, so we'll surely blow right past the phaseout into 100% nondeductible territory.

Oh well, it was high time I paid my fair share, right? Thanks Obama! ;)
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2465 on: February 04, 2016, 08:04:49 AM »
On my first pass through our 2015 taxes yesterday, I was horrified to discover we nearly blew the tIRA MAGI phaseout and were only "saved" by underperforming rentals (big vacancies etc) - we squeaked in just under the limit. We both just got raises, and rentals + side work should net at least $10K more in 2016, so we'll surely blow right past the phaseout into 100% nondeductible territory.

Oh well, it was high time I paid my fair share, right? Thanks Obama! ;)

Well, you earn double the median income you un-middle class person ;). At least you're not in backdoor territory. For that you'd have to be a filthy 1%er!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2466 on: February 04, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
Well, you earn double the median income you un-middle class person ;). At least you're not in backdoor territory. For that you'd have to be a filthy 1%er!

But everyone thinks we're poor because we live in a below-median home in a LCOL town. What good is getting rich if we can't look rich? *sobs*

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2467 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:20 AM »

But everyone thinks we're poor because we live in a below-median home in a LCOL town. What good is getting rich if we can't look rich? *sobs*

I live in a rent-stabilized (middle class) apartment that raises rents in line with the official October inflation number every year, same as Social Security benefits. For our area, the rents are super good since this has been happening since the 1970s (rent inflation >> general inflation). We pay $964 (up from $951 2 years ago) as compared to places that rent for $1500-$2000 the next building over in the same town with the same bad schools. There's a person here who is retired and makes $200k/yr give or take.

For you, the rents listed probably sound insane. It's a fact of life when you live in the most populated metro area in the US.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2468 on: February 04, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »

I live in a rent-stabilized (middle class) apartment that raises rents in line with the official October inflation number every year, same as Social Security benefits. For our area, the rents are super good since this has been happening since the 1970s (rent inflation >> general inflation). We pay $964 (up from $951 2 years ago) as compared to places that rent for $1500-$2000 the next building over in the same town with the same bad schools. There's a person here who is retired and makes $200k/yr give or take.

For you, the rents listed probably sound insane. It's a fact of life when you live in the most populated metro area in the US.

What does the rent stabilization do to owners of the property?
Just from your numbers, Unstabilized the rent could be twice as
much which means the property value could be double. I'd hate
to be an owner with the government holding down the price of my rental.
What don't I understand?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2469 on: February 04, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »
Generally screws them.
Depending on the city, either it's only a small proportion of the units that are rent controlled - so it's just another tax you factor into the cost of doing business. Or in return for one building that is rent controlled you get to put up a shopping mall or luxury condo without any planning difficulties.

In some cities it just means that as property prices rise but rents stay the same, you stop doing maintenance and run the place down until all the good tenants leave and it becomes a slum - then you demolish it (or have a convenient fire) and build a new building with rents reset to current market rate.

Either way it helps big developer corporations, who make political contributions,  over small private landlords.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2470 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »

I lived in Brooklyn for a while and paid $666 (WOO) for 1/3 of a shitty 3BR loft in a transitional neighborhood - when I left the total was going from $2K to $2600 or $2800, and I'm sure it's well over $3K now for the same place. I understand and appreciate the economic factors that produce the disparity.

I'd be much more likely to still be there if I'd had a deal like yours. As is, I came back here to build financial strength for my next move. Five years later, FIRE is in sight. :D

I'm glad to be in a town where rents are only starting to rise and price controls will not be an issue during the explosive growth phase of our portfolio (this year and next). Later on, when we've established sufficient baseline income, holding them to the rate of inflation will be fine by me.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2471 on: February 04, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »

What don't I understand?

Would you change your mind if the land was incredibly cheap and the loan to build the place was interest free? Pretty sure no property taxes are paid on that lot either (or very little). The only interest on the loan the city gets is from people who make too much to be considered middle class for the apartment they own. They have to pay an increased rent, the increased amount of which goes to the city. We're at an income level for a 1br where we will have to pay extra if we're still living here in another two years or so (they check your income every 3 years).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2472 on: February 04, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »
While doing a demo on a very high end house we found beer cans inside of cinder blocks.

In my old apartment I found some cans of cider in the roof space (cider in the UK is all alcoholic, btw, so not only were the workmen untidy, they were drinking on the job!).

Anyway, as I lifted them out, I was like, "These are half full! Who wastes good cider like that?!", and my husband was all, "love... what's in those cans ain't cider..."

Hahaha that's hilarious. My first thought would hav been the same as yours though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2473 on: February 04, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »
Generally screws them.
Depending on the city, either it's only a small proportion of the units that are rent controlled - so it's just another tax you factor into the cost of doing business. Or in return for one building that is rent controlled you get to put up a shopping mall or luxury condo without any planning difficulties.

In some cities it just means that as property prices rise but rents stay the same, you stop doing maintenance and run the place down until all the good tenants leave and it becomes a slum - then you demolish it (or have a convenient fire) and build a new building with rents reset to current market rate.

Either way it helps big developer corporations, who make political contributions,  over small private landlords.

Basically it screws the owner as of the date rent control is enacted.  Subsequent property owners pay a lower price with acceptance of accompanying restrictions.  It's a windfall for any property owner as of the date rent control is repealed. 

It's essentially a redistribution of wealth from individual landowners to their tenants.  I am not opposed to all redistributions of wealth, but I think there are much better ways to do it than target individual landowners (and I'm not even a landlord)

Rent control introduces too many market distortions, partially leading to the housing crisis we currently have in sf

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #2474 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »
Today I had my first problem: I've got a cash back credit card that if I spend $500 in three months, I get $150 back.  I didn't realize this initially (got it for the gas rewards), so now I have a month left to get that $150...

I don't have $500 worth of stuff I need to spend!!!

So much for savings, hahaha!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2475 on: February 10, 2016, 10:30:16 PM »
Today I had my first problem: I've got a cash back credit card that if I spend $500 in three months, I get $150 back.  I didn't realize this initially (got it for the gas rewards), so now I have a month left to get that $150...

You could buy some gift cards to places you normally shop at anyway.

You could also buy a visa gift card (a debit card with a pin but no atm access) for ~1% fee.

Which card btw?

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #2476 on: February 10, 2016, 10:58:41 PM »

You could also buy a visa gift card (a debit card with a pin but no atm access) for ~1% fee.

Which card btw?

Chase Freedom Visa
I may buy some gift cards to the grocery store we use, not a bad idea actually!!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2477 on: February 10, 2016, 11:02:13 PM »

Which card btw?

Chase Freedom Visa
I may buy some gift cards to the grocery store we use, not a bad idea actually!!

I'd probably buy gas gift cards instead because the gas category is 5% right now. And come Q2, groceries will be 5%.

Now if you don't want to float that much money because the rate at which you buy gas is really slow, then sure supplement that with grocery gc's. But I'd buy gas gc's first.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #2478 on: February 10, 2016, 11:04:24 PM »
Do gas GCs count toward that 5%?  I didn't realize that!!!!  That's even better.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2479 on: February 10, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »
Do gas GCs count toward that 5%?  I didn't realize that!!!!  That's even better.

I am 99% confident. But even I would buy a low denomination one just to check. IIRC Chase shows you the earn rate of a transaction shortly after it posts.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #2480 on: February 10, 2016, 11:15:46 PM »

I am 99% confident. But even I would buy a low denomination one just to check. IIRC Chase shows you the earn rate of a transaction shortly after it posts.

Good call.  Will look into this tomorrow AM!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2481 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:13 AM »

Good call.  Will look into this tomorrow AM!

I know when it was 10% for Amazon  it worked for Amazon gift cards

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2482 on: February 11, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »
I should have bought more Amazon GCs when Chase had that going. I didn't buy any because I already had some Amazon credit left and now I am out of Amazon credit.

I maxed out on the $300 of target gift cards you could buy when Target had them 10% off. Got 12 cards with $25 each. When you use them online and pay the remainder with a Red Card you get 5% off the full amount even though you are using GC money. In store you don't get 5% off on the amount paid with GC. So far I have used one and given one away for a birthday.

I have a decent amount of money in Best Buy gift card floating as well from games I traded in for more than I paid. Free entertainment.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2483 on: February 11, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »

What don't I understand?
It depends on the area.

Some areas, ownership is cheap, and owners are still making money.
Some areas, owners might be getting screwed.

I live in So Cal, and rents here are ginormous right now, and renters are pissed.  You constantly here how landlords are screwing people.

Well, it depends.
Some owners have owned for 30-40 years, and Prop 13 means their taxes are $1000 a year, and they don't upkeep the places, and they charge market rate.
Some owners bought their homes in 2006, are under water, and market rate means they are breaking even, or not quite.

Most of the mobile home parks in the area are under some amount of rent control, because they are  heavily filled by the elderly, but not all of them. So imagine that a few years ago, one was bought and the owner decided to increase rents to $1000 a month.  That was pretty outrageous.  I think that park is now half "condo" (mobile home owners bought their space) and half are not.  Messy.

Rent control comes with similar issues.  Just flipped.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2484 on: February 11, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
I'm so good at scoring free food at work that I think I'm gaining weight.

I've eaten free jack in the box burgers for three days.  Those things are like 800 calories!

momcpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2485 on: February 11, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »
Question for PDXMONKEY about the Target card:

I also bought the maximum of $300 when they had the 10% off.  But I wasn't as smart as you......I bought one 'mega' $300 card.   After your comment that you could get the 5% off everything if you use your Red Card for a balance payment..........I'm wondering if when a person buys on-line, can they specify a lesser amount being paid by the gift card, (not the complete charge) in order to create a balance due ????  And then pay the balance with the Red Card and get that additional 5% off everything ??

I might have to try that.

momcpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2486 on: February 11, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
A reply to my own inquiry about the Target Gift card and Target Red Card.  I couldn't get it to work in my scenario.  I called Target.  They said it would apply the full amount of the charge if there was still that much available on the gift card.  You can't say $10 only, if you have more available.

The answer might be to use my 'mega' card to buy smaller cards and then use them.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2487 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »

I've eaten free jack in the box burgers for three days.  Those things are like 800 calories!

ugh, ya. i've gotten really good finally , at not partaking in the goodies that make there way into the break room. can be hard to resist temptation, but i'm paying for it, and still working at whittling off those extra ten pounds (not much, but on my smallish frame, it's apparent at least to me). i might add that the fiance and i recently moved back in together again, and his food choices are let's just say, different than mine, and i quickly put on a few, enjoying the simple things i hadn't previously ever kept in my house. i eat really healthy ordinarily and so it was easy to gain. i'm just glad i caught it before it got to be too much, it's not nearly so easy to loose weight as it used to be!!

Tuskalusa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2488 on: February 11, 2016, 04:37:36 PM »
My friends think I'm weird because I walk the mile (gasp!) from the train to my office.

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2489 on: February 11, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »

ugh, ya. i've gotten really good finally , at not partaking in the goodies that make there way into the break room. can be hard to resist temptation, but i'm paying for it, and still working at whittling off those extra ten pounds (not much, but on my smallish frame, it's apparent at least to me). i might add that the fiance and i recently moved back in together again, and his food choices are let's just say, different than mine, and i quickly put on a few, enjoying the simple things i hadn't previously ever kept in my house. i eat really healthy ordinarily and so it was easy to gain. i'm just glad i caught it before it got to be too much, it's not nearly so easy to loose weight as it used to be!!

Yeah, I used to eat a lot of free food from my office (because, free!), but pretty much all of it is garbage calories. Even the meals are mostly white carbs, chips, cookies, etc. I will eat a sandwich here and there, but I try to avoid all the chips and desserts. It's just not worth it.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2490 on: February 11, 2016, 05:02:45 PM »

Yeah, I used to eat a lot of free food from my office (because, free!), but pretty much all of it is garbage calories. Even the meals are mostly white carbs, chips, cookies, etc. I will eat a sandwich here and there, but I try to avoid all the chips and desserts. It's just not worth it.

Not worth it, yes.
Every time I am at my desired weight I tell myself to maintain it no matter what . but after a while, I don't and it creeps up a little, fortunately by not too much these days, but still...

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2491 on: February 11, 2016, 06:47:13 PM »
I should have bought more Amazon GCs when Chase had that going. I didn't buy any because I already had some Amazon credit left and now I am out of Amazon credit.

I maxed out on the $300 of target gift cards you could buy when Target had them 10% off. Got 12 cards with $25 each. When you use them online and pay the remainder with a Red Card you get 5% off the full amount even though you are using GC money. In store you don't get 5% off on the amount paid with GC. So far I have used one and given one away for a birthday.

I have a decent amount of money in Best Buy gift card floating as well from games I traded in for more than I paid. Free entertainment.

Question for PDXMONKEY about the Target card:

I also bought the maximum of $300 when they had the 10% off.  But I wasn't as smart as you......I bought one 'mega' $300 card.   After your comment that you could get the 5% off everything if you use your Red Card for a balance payment..........I'm wondering if when a person buys on-line, can they specify a lesser amount being paid by the gift card, (not the complete charge) in order to create a balance due ????  And then pay the balance with the Red Card and get that additional 5% off everything ??

I might have to try that.

There's an easier solution which lets you use gift card for the entire purchase and still get a 5% REDCard discount. I believe it is a bug in their system.

All you have to do is as you go to checkout online, you say charge everything to the REDCard. But on the "review & place order" page, on the right column below the complete order button, click on "Pay with a Target GiftCard". This will take you back to the payment method page. Then enter your gift card.
Even if your gift card(s) cover(s) the entire balance, the REDcard 5% discount will still remain applied to your order.

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2492 on: February 12, 2016, 08:06:46 PM »
Good to know. I partly got smaller increments so if I don't have something specific I want to give someone or am running late I can just grab one out of the stack.

momcpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2493 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
Thanks for the Target Card on-line tip.  I will try that and see if I can get the 'bug' in their system to work for me.   Might be awhile before I need anything though, but when I do, I will check it out.

momcpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2494 on: February 14, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
Thanks "johnny 847".   I tried your tip regarding the payment for a Target order on-line.   I followed your steps.  (Buying t-shirts for two grandchildren.)  This is how it turned out......

I picked out the T-shirts.  Used 'pres' code for a 25% off presidents' sale happening this weekend.  Then said I would pay with my Red card, so I got an additional 5% discount AND free shipping.  Then I took advantage of the tip you provided and paid with my gift card that I got 10% off when I bought it last December.

I feel like I made out quite well on this little purchase.  I know that it works now, and will use it again in the future.  Thanks to all those on here who ask and answer questions, and share their ideas/tips with the rest of us.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2495 on: February 14, 2016, 03:39:10 PM »
Thanks "johnny 847".   I tried your tip regarding the payment for a Target order on-line.   I followed your steps.  (Buying t-shirts for two grandchildren.)  This is how it turned out......

I picked out the T-shirts.  Used 'pres' code for a 25% off presidents' sale happening this weekend.  Then said I would pay with my Red card, so I got an additional 5% discount AND free shipping.  Then I took advantage of the tip you provided and paid with my gift card that I got 10% off when I bought it last December.

I feel like I made out quite well on this little purchase.  I know that it works now, and will use it again in the future.  Thanks to all those on here who ask and answer questions, and share their ideas/tips with the rest of us.

That's some nice deal stacking right there! Close to 40% off.

I totally forgot about the free shipping with the REDCard. Nor did I know that it would be applied while using this trick. Good to know.

I forgot to mention last time - you can stack another layer of discounts with shopping portals (but we're only talking 1 or 2%, sadly). You click through a shopping portal such as eBates or topcashback and you'll get another small savings. Unfortunately most portals only pay out for certain categories at Target. But Active Junky is a portal that always pays out 1% for all Target purchases, regardless of the product category.

I shop pretty regularly at Target, and it's about a 10 minute walk from where I live. So for stuff most people would just buy in store that I could buy online instead with in store pickup, I do the latter to get the shopping portal bonus.

Of course everybody has to decide for him or herself whether this extra step is worth the savings.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2496 on: February 16, 2016, 02:59:04 AM »
I know this one has come up before, but it's really annoying me today!

I buy incidentals for our small office - tea, coffee, copier paper etc. I always pay with my CC for the points, but get reimbursed in cash.

I currently have 800 in my bedside table drawer because I just cannot spend the cash quickly enough.

I don't like to use it for fuel etc, as it negates the points I got on the stuff I bought for the office. I try to use it for pubs and nights out with friends where it's easier to pay by cash. But we just don't spend that much on those things.

I'd use it to buy currency for our upcoming trip, as we get a better rate with cash. Except I already have Euros left over from another trip where, surprise surprise our spending was pretty low.

Too much cash! Mustachian problem indeed. I guess I could pay it into the bank, but you can't do that online, and I would have to go out of my way to get to a branch.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2497 on: February 16, 2016, 06:45:33 AM »
I guess I could pay it into the bank, but you can't do that online, and I would have to go out of my way to get to a branch.
My bank has a phone app where you can simplytake a picture of a check/cheque to pay it in.
Perhaps they could do the same for cash ?

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2498 on: February 16, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
I guess I could pay it into the bank, but you can't do that online, and I would have to go out of my way to get to a branch.
My bank has a phone app where you can simplytake a picture of a check/cheque to pay it in.

What...? You're joking, right?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2499 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »

What...? You're joking, right?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the joke - that you could bank the cash AND keep it. Would certainly be nice!