Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 4434898 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7800 on: August 20, 2020, 10:01:28 PM »
The specific reason I say that in this example is the person is said to be 25. So unless there is an inheritance involved, this person likely is nowhere near financial security due to having recently started her/his career. If the person were 35 and we could assume they had saved a comfortable cushion in case of hardship, I’d be more likely to agree with you.

In one year that 25 year old will have more liquid assets than more than 35% of all American households have in total net worth.

Short of a catastrophic medical or legal issue -- which a paltry $600 a month for a few years simply wouldn't make a bit of difference given the US legal and medical systems -- that young man will be just fine.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7801 on: August 21, 2020, 01:45:46 AM »
I find that Aldi's prices aren't any lower than generic, while the grocery store I get my generics at has a wider variety. It seems like Aldi's is similar to Trader Joe's in so far as most of the excitement seems to be around pre made foods and treats, with a limited selection of ingredients.
ALDI bought Trader Joes. Or they fusioned or they bought brand names rights, something like that. You can even buy Trader Joes brand in Germany (but only nuts I think).

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7802 on: August 22, 2020, 05:05:08 AM »
We've almost eliminated junk mail, we don't buy newspapers, we're as paperless as possible... and now our compost heap has too many fruit peelings from a load of free apples we got and froze and we don't have enough "browns" to put on it. Oh the humanity!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7803 on: August 22, 2020, 06:32:18 AM »
We've almost eliminated junk mail, we don't buy newspapers, we're as paperless as possible... and now our compost heap has too many fruit peelings from a load of free apples we got and froze and we don't have enough "browns" to put on it. Oh the humanity!

SwordGuy's meme, but asking your neighbor for their junk mail?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7804 on: August 22, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Next time, you can save the cores and peelings to make vinegar. It's passive, cheap and easy.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7805 on: August 22, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »
Not as much a scam as, say, "towels," or "doctors," but a scam nevertheless.

Oh crap what did I miss?

Ummm...towels? Nobody in history ever needed a "towel." Not a single "towel" ever needed to be sold--guess what I've found works: a t-shirt!!

Also, yeah, everybody knows that without the scam of "doctors" nature would take over and world population would be much, much lower and much, much healthier. So, if you care about the environment and public health, no need to look further than this bizarre long-con scam for the problem. :)

Well I'd argue that nobody in history ever needed a t-shirt because guess what else works?  A TOWEL.  That's right you got played.

You are actually quite good at this--plus found another scam--SILVERWARE! Ate my whole chicken breast and a potato today out of the no-name tupperware with my hand. Wash up afterwards and silverware revealed as scam royale.

Couldn't help but hop on this train. What is it with everyone having to have NAIL CLIPPERS?!?!?!? Our ancestors weren't stupid enough to buy and keep such useless junk... Just maintain adequate flexibility by doing yoga daily so you can chew off your toenails 1x/month like a real homo sapien. ;)

You'll be happy to know that this week I have found another scam: DRAINS! For the past three days it's been just bail the bathroom sink out into the toilet a couple times/day--cheaper than a plumber!!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7806 on: August 22, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
Next time, you can save the cores and peelings to make vinegar. It's passive, cheap and easy.

Do you have a link to some instructions? Especially some with science and "why", not just what to do. I would be well up for it, but Mr SLTD might need a bit on convincing. We're likely to have more apples coming our way!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7807 on: August 22, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »

Do you have a link to some instructions? Especially some with science and "why", not just what to do. I would be well up for it, but Mr SLTD might need a bit on convincing. We're likely to have more apples coming our way!

Entire branch of apples broke and now I've got like 10 gallons that aren't quite ready to eat.  Was thinking apple sauce but vinegar might do the trick.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7808 on: August 22, 2020, 06:36:21 PM »

Entire branch of apples broke and now I've got like 10 gallons that aren't quite ready to eat.  Was thinking apple sauce but vinegar might do the trick.

Both, actually.  The vinegar uses the parts of the apple that sauce doesn't.  I've done it before - it's fun, but I don't go through enough cider vinegar to justify it, especially since it can't be used for canning as the acid concentration isn't standardized.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7809 on: August 22, 2020, 07:21:21 PM »

I have never tried it, but I got the idea from this post. Scroll way down to the bottom. I have a corer like that, and a couple of packets of champagne yeast, so it caught my eye. Googling it is on my to-do list.

https://granolashotgun.com/2020/08/10/lazaretto-dining/

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #7810 on: August 22, 2020, 09:50:50 PM »
Haha, somewhat in the same vein, we are looking after our neighbor’s house while they are camping and I wanted to clean out their guinea pigs’ cage, but don’t have anything resembling a newspaper to line the cage.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7811 on: August 22, 2020, 10:28:45 PM »
Haha, somewhat in the same vein, we are looking after our neighbor’s house while they are camping and I wanted to clean out their guinea pigs’ cage, but don’t have anything resembling a newspaper to line the cage.
Paper towels? A paper grocery bag? MPP for sure.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7812 on: August 23, 2020, 12:54:41 AM »
Paper towels? A paper grocery bag? MPP for sure.

Neither of those work.  It's for the articles.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #7813 on: August 23, 2020, 08:09:34 AM »
Paper grocery bag... now there is an idea

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7814 on: August 23, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »

Oh crap what did I miss?

Ummm...towels? Nobody in history ever needed a "towel." Not a single "towel" ever needed to be sold--guess what I've found works: a t-shirt!!

Also, yeah, everybody knows that without the scam of "doctors" nature would take over and world population would be much, much lower and much, much healthier. So, if you care about the environment and public health, no need to look further than this bizarre long-con scam for the problem. :)

Well I'd argue that nobody in history ever needed a t-shirt because guess what else works?  A TOWEL.  That's right you got played.

You are actually quite good at this--plus found another scam--SILVERWARE! Ate my whole chicken breast and a potato today out of the no-name tupperware with my hand. Wash up afterwards and silverware revealed as scam royale.

Couldn't help but hop on this train. What is it with everyone having to have NAIL CLIPPERS?!?!?!? Our ancestors weren't stupid enough to buy and keep such useless junk... Just maintain adequate flexibility by doing yoga daily so you can chew off your toenails 1x/month like a real homo sapien. ;)

You'll be happy to know that this week I have found another scam: DRAINS! For the past three days it's been just bail the bathroom sink out into the toilet a couple times/day--cheaper than a plumber!!

WOW--added bonus I have discovered--I usually flush once/day but I have found that with the bailing of the sink it flushes the toilet by itself so no need to waste that sink water ever again--who knew I had been being scammed all these years by that simple drain?!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7815 on: August 24, 2020, 12:14:07 AM »

Oh crap what did I miss?

WOW--added bonus I have discovered--I usually flush once/day but I have found that with the bailing of the sink it flushes the toilet by itself so no need to waste that sink water ever again--who knew I had been being scammed all these years by that simple drain?!

Guess nobody's really excited about my mensa-level hack. Weird i thought everybody would be rushing to plug their bathroom sinks and elevate me to Justin Bieber status before Q4.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7816 on: August 24, 2020, 03:45:14 AM »
I am not really sure if I understood the details... but in cramped japanese bathroms it is not that unusual to find the sink above the flush canister.

https://agonzojournalist.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/p9200576.jpg

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7817 on: August 24, 2020, 06:43:30 AM »
I am not really sure if I understood the details... but in cramped japanese bathroms it is not that unusual to find the sink above the flush canister.

Yup, been there, seen it, used it.  It's pretty awesome--you reuse the grey water from the sink to flush the toilet.  In the installation I used, when you flush the toilet, the faucet starts running, and you use that water to wash your hands.  Basically, instead of the toilet fill valve going directly into the tank, it comes out the faucet instead.  It also happens to run for the right duration for properly washing your hands :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7818 on: August 24, 2020, 06:46:06 AM »

Yup, been there, seen it, used it.  It's pretty awesome--you reuse the grey water from the sink to flush the toilet.  In the installation I used, when you flush the toilet, the faucet starts running, and you use that water to wash your hands.  Basically, instead of the toilet fill valve going directly into the tank, it comes out the faucet instead.  It also happens to run for the right duration for properly washing your hands :)

I'm guessing that's new water coming out of the faucet, not water from the toilet.   It's early and when I first read that while somewhat bleary-eyed, you should have seen my eyes bug out of my head!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7819 on: August 24, 2020, 01:38:02 PM »
Haha. I made a setup like that and thought it was great. My wife didn't. Should try it again with a preschooler, he may find it amazing.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7820 on: August 24, 2020, 01:41:41 PM »

Yes yes! Looks like a bit of a reach/straddle deal, however.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7821 on: August 25, 2020, 03:44:07 AM »

In a luxuriously big US house there is no reason to not make it sideways reachable or even detached.
The (un)funny thing though is that now that everyone has water saving toilets there is often not enough water flow in old canals, which were designed for higher flows.
Perfect example of where a good change inadvertedly turns into shit ;)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7822 on: August 25, 2020, 05:24:32 AM »

In a luxuriously big US house there is no reason to not make it sideways reachable or even detached.
The (un)funny thing though is that now that everyone has water saving toilets there is often not enough water flow in old canals, which were designed for higher flows.
Yup, the good ol' law of unintended consequences.  Kinda like California and solar power :)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7823 on: August 25, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
I find that Aldi's prices aren't any lower than generic, while the grocery store I get my generics at has a wider variety. It seems like Aldi's is similar to Trader Joe's in so far as most of the excitement seems to be around pre made foods and treats, with a limited selection of ingredients.
ALDI bought Trader Joes. Or they fusioned or they bought brand names rights, something like that. You can even buy Trader Joes brand in Germany (but only nuts I think).
Yes and no. The confusion stems from the fact that the original Aldi in Germany is split into two separate entities (Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd). One of these owns ALDI in the USA, while the other owns Trader Joe's.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:08:02 AM by dcheesi »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7824 on: August 25, 2020, 11:22:47 PM »
Yes and no. The confusion stems from the fact that the original Aldi in Germany is split into two separate entities (Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd). One of these owns ALDI in the USA, while the other owns Trader Joe's.

One of them owns TJ in the USA.  The other owns TJ in europe.  That's a trademark nightmare.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7825 on: August 26, 2020, 11:57:29 AM »

One of them owns TJ in the USA.  The other owns TJ in europe.  That's a trademark nightmare.

So that's why we have TJ branded products in my local Aldi (Nord)! Just the nuts and some "American" convenience products like readymade pancakes. That aren't actually produced in the US but are TJ brand for marketing reasons.

We live in a border area and across the border we have Aldi Süd. They sell some products our Aldi Nord doesn't and I think the shops look slightly nicer. But our Aldi is 90% about the basics and stocks a lot less pre-made foods and treats than a regular supermarket. You don't go to Aldi for fancy chocolates but for cheap produce and canned beans.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7826 on: August 27, 2020, 07:25:46 AM »

Yup, the good ol' law of unintended consequences.  Kinda like California and solar power :)

What happened with solar power?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7827 on: August 27, 2020, 07:55:36 AM »
Made such a big principal paydown on my mortgage that the system couldn't handle the desired amount.  Had to split it into two transactions over two days to make it work.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7828 on: August 27, 2020, 08:33:37 AM »
Made such a big principal paydown on my mortgage that the system couldn't handle the desired amount.  Had to split it into two transactions over two days to make it work.

So sorry you're going through this...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7829 on: August 27, 2020, 08:36:35 AM »

So am I, but probably for different reasons ;-)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7830 on: August 27, 2020, 09:20:37 AM »

That sounds like a fun mustachian challenge.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7831 on: August 27, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »

@Dicey , I even have the go-ahead to pay off my mortgage from over in your favorite thread...

Already fired.  Plenty of net worth.   Big stock portfolio I don't need to use for routine expenses so I can grow it for the future.  With this mortgage paid off we'll have a 0% SWR.   A budget surplus from non-stock income I can invest.  And I cut my annual expenses by another $1400 a month once it's paid off, which will increase our quality of life quite nicely.   

I don't need more wealth.   We're giving to charity.

We're selling another house which will pay off the mortgage right away, and if it doesn't sell, we'll still be done within a year.

At this point I want to simplify my life.   

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7832 on: August 27, 2020, 11:00:45 AM »
My MPP: I now have a credit. I never intended to get a credit. But it have now.

Because it is effectivly 1,5% interest per year for the sum, for ten years.
So if I put it in index funds, at 4% withdrawel rate, I make 1,5% profit after taxes. Not to mention if I don't sell and let compound interest work on that 4%, too.

It is not only more expensive to sell investments than to get a credit, it is actually more expensive to not have a credit at all!

BicycleB

• Magnum Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7833 on: August 27, 2020, 01:20:26 PM »

Ha!

You have fulfilled your screen name. Because you sliced the payment in two. Swoosh!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:26:02 PM by BicycleB »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7834 on: August 27, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »

The state has been transitioning away from fossil fuels to renewables, which is great as long as you retain enough of the former to supply power when the latter is insufficient.  In short, a few days ago, California had an unusually hot day followed by an unusually hot evening.  All the solar panels stopped generating when the sun went down, but everyone was still running their A/C.  The remaining plants in California couldn't keep up, and there wasn't enough surplus available from surrounding states, so they experienced rolling blackouts.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7835 on: August 27, 2020, 02:42:13 PM »

The state has been transitioning away from fossil fuels to renewables, which is great as long as you retain enough of the former to supply power when the latter is insufficient.  In short, a few days ago, California had an unusually hot day followed by an unusually hot evening.  All the solar panels stopped generating when the sun went down, but everyone was still running their A/C.  The remaining plants in California couldn't keep up, and there wasn't enough surplus available from surrounding states, so they experienced rolling blackouts.

CA has always had rolling blackouts (or worse, just catastrophic blackouts) during extreme heat waves, since before solar was prevalent.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7836 on: August 27, 2020, 04:44:14 PM »

CA has always had rolling blackouts (or worse, just catastrophic blackouts) during extreme heat waves, since before solar was prevalent.

I was going to say, CA's had electrical craziness for much longer than solar's been around. I don't think it's fair to blame solar, when the system as a whole is clearly subject to extremes in demand AND has struggled for a long time to balance it.

crocheted_stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7837 on: August 27, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »
Attempted such a big principal paydown on my mortgage that I ran into both the transaction and the monthly limits for online bill pay. Came here to "complain" about the MPP and found this.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7838 on: August 27, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
Attempted such a big principal paydown on my mortgage that I ran into both the transaction and the monthly limits for online bill pay. Came here to "complain" about the MPP and found this.

I'm so very happy you have the same problem, @crocheted_stache !

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7839 on: August 27, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
We were discussing some charitable giving and an upcoming match deadline (charity matches are to DH what sales are to a shopaholic).

-Don't procrastinate.
-I'm not procrastinating, I am managing cash flow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7840 on: August 27, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »

@Dicey , I even have the go-ahead to pay off my mortgage from over in your favorite thread...

Already fired.  Plenty of net worth.   Big stock portfolio I don't need to use for routine expenses so I can grow it for the future.  With this mortgage paid off we'll have a 0% SWR.   A budget surplus from non-stock income I can invest.  And I cut my annual expenses by another $1400 a month once it's paid off, which will increase our quality of life quite nicely.   

We're selling another house which will pay off the mortgage right away, and if it doesn't sell, we'll still be done within a year.

I am consistently in awe of the people who exhibit sharp humor on this site. Two of my quick-witted idols are @snacky and @dragoncar. Occasionally, I think I have something funny to say, like the comment quoted above. Clearly, I am not in their league.

@SwordGuy, you know I'm a fangirl. I wasn't dissing you.

But since you provided this level of detail, I think it's a great way for others to see what's been discussed at length on the other thread. Once you hit FIRE, the question of mortgage or no mortgage becomes less important, IMO. The primary reason not to pay off a mortgage early is the risk of leaving other important buckets unfilled. (See: Investment Order sticky) Loading up on all the tax-deferred and taxable investments as early as possible means they do the heavy lifting for you, which is pretty darn amazing, as you well know ;-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7841 on: August 27, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »

I am consistently in awe of the people who exhibit sharp humor on this site. Two of my quick-witted idols are @snacky and @dragoncar. Occasionally, I think I have something funny to say, like the comment quoted above. Clearly, I am not in their league.

@SwordGuy, you know I'm a fangirl. I wasn't dissing you.

But since you provided this level of detail, I think it's a great way for others to see what's been discussed at length on the other thread. Once you hit FIRE, the question of mortgage or no mortgage becomes less important, IMO. The primary reason not to pay off a mortgage early is the risk of leaving other important buckets unfilled. (See: Investment Order sticky) Loading up on all the tax-deferred and taxable investments as early as possible means they do the heavy lifting for you, which is pretty darn amazing, as you well know ;-)

Oh, I knew you were making a joke!    I actually agree with the "Don't Pay Off Your Mortgage" policy whilst building wealth.    I passed on 3 or 4 opportunities to pay off the last mortgage early 'cause y'all convinced me.   But now, meh, I'm fired and rich and I'm ready to be done with it. :)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7842 on: August 28, 2020, 12:01:19 AM »

Oh, I knew you were making a joke!    I actually agree with the "Don't Pay Off Your Mortgage" policy whilst building wealth.    I passed on 3 or 4 opportunities to pay off the last mortgage early 'cause y'all convinced me.   But now, meh, I'm fired and rich and I'm ready to be done with it. :)

I’ve really come around to this way of thinking as we’ve approached FI. First it was paying off the fairly low interest rate student loans. Now I’m really starting to like to idea of killing the cash flow requirement that is our mortgage.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7843 on: August 28, 2020, 04:07:43 AM »

I’ve really come around to this way of thinking as we’ve approached FI. First it was paying off the fairly low interest rate student loans. Now I’m really starting to like to idea of killing the cash flow requirement that is our mortgage.

I find this a struggle, not for the mortgage,, but for low interest rate student loans. I could pay them off now or within a year if I wanted to use cash flow but with an interest rate of 0,16 % it makes absolutely no sense. So now I have created a FU-investment account for it and my plan OS to make extra payments there. When I have an amount that exceeds the loan I will probably pay it off, because I really hate the payments. This way I take advantage of the market but don’t significantly slow my fire.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7844 on: August 28, 2020, 04:27:39 AM »
In short, a few days ago, California had an unusually hot day followed by an unusually hot evening.  All the solar panels stopped generating when the sun went down, but everyone was still running their A/C.  The remaining plants in California couldn't keep up, and there wasn't enough surplus available from surrounding states, so they experienced rolling blackouts.
What you described here is not a problem of renewables but a problem of not enough energy storage (or too unreliable energy use). The same is true for conventional power plants.
In fact you would be totally right if you say that all the conventional power plants are blocking the energy grid.

With conventional power plants you need to store energy at night because they can't be powered down and up fast enough to comply with demand, so they deliver too much energy.
With renewables you need to store energy (not only at night, but mostly there if you have a an overweight on PV) because they deliver not enough energy (until you have more production capabilities).

edit: I may add a connected MPP problem: Because of the big Old Energy companies lobbying effort's it has become such an hassle to sell a few hundred kWH of energy a year, you buy a battery to use all yourself even if that is more expensive and more wasteful for the environment.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:30:14 AM by LennStar »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7845 on: August 28, 2020, 06:14:25 AM »
My son's school asked us to pick up some learning materials between 8:30 and 10 am yesterday morning. I arrived on my bike, and the teacher who was distributing them asked me if my backpack would be large enough to hold everything she had to give me.

It was, but I started sweating on the ride back to my house. Had to leave the backpack outside, and handed my family this sweaty magazine box of school supplies.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7846 on: August 28, 2020, 08:16:10 AM »
In short, a few days ago, California had an unusually hot day followed by an unusually hot evening.  All the solar panels stopped generating when the sun went down, but everyone was still running their A/C.  The remaining plants in California couldn't keep up, and there wasn't enough surplus available from surrounding states, so they experienced rolling blackouts.
What you described here is not a problem of renewables but a problem of not enough energy storage (or too unreliable energy use). The same is true for conventional power plants.
In fact you would be totally right if you say that all the conventional power plants are blocking the energy grid.

With conventional power plants you need to store energy at night because they can't be powered down and up fast enough to comply with demand, so they deliver too much energy.
With renewables you need to store energy (not only at night, but mostly there if you have a an overweight on PV) because they deliver not enough energy (until you have more production capabilities).

edit: I may add a connected MPP problem: Because of the big Old Energy companies lobbying effort's it has become such an hassle to sell a few hundred kWH of energy a year, you buy a battery to use all yourself even if that is more expensive and more wasteful for the environment.
We're dragging the thread OT here, but I feel like a few things need clarification:
--I mean that it's the shift toward solar and away from fossil fuels that caused it, not the mere presence of solar power
--I'm not sure where you got the impression that conventional power generation requires storage.  That's simply not true.  Natural gas-powered plants can ramp up basically instantaneously, and hence need no storage.  Hydroelectric is the same, although you could argue that hydroelectric *is* stored energy :) Coal is pretty quick, too.  Nuclear is slow (significant fractions of an hour to ramp up/down).

The issue of selling back energy has been heavily discussed in other threads, but the problem is that consumers expect to have their cake and eat it too, when it comes to solar.  They want to get paid (or credited) full retail cost of the electricity they generate, but also expect the Old Energy companies to maintain enough generation capacity to supply the grid when PV generation is weak and demand is high.  Big Old Energy then is expected to purchase and maintain equipment which then sits underutilized (i.e. not earning money) a lot of the time.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7847 on: August 28, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
I'm not sure where you got the impression that conventional power generation requires storage.  That's simply not true.

Then I wonder why both day and longer time storage has been build since many decades. Hm...

Coal is pretty quick, too.
If you want to waste a lot of energy. And be a total CO2 asshole and poison spreader.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7848 on: August 28, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »

We're dragging the thread OT here, but I feel like a few things need clarification:
--I mean that it's the shift toward solar and away from fossil fuels that caused it, not the mere presence of solar power
--I'm not sure where you got the impression that conventional power generation requires storage.  That's simply not true.  Natural gas-powered plants can ramp up basically instantaneously, and hence need no storage.  Hydroelectric is the same, although you could argue that hydroelectric *is* stored energy :) Coal is pretty quick, too.  Nuclear is slow (significant fractions of an hour to ramp up/down).

The issue of selling back energy has been heavily discussed in other threads, but the problem is that consumers expect to have their cake and eat it too, when it comes to solar.  They want to get paid (or credited) full retail cost of the electricity they generate, but also expect the Old Energy companies to maintain enough generation capacity to supply the grid when PV generation is weak and demand is high.  Big Old Energy then is expected to purchase and maintain equipment which then sits underutilized (i.e. not earning money) a lot of the time.

In the US, nuclear (~20% of electricity) does not "load follow" or change power unless absolutely necessary.   
In France (~75% nuclear electricity ) they do, using Westinghouse-style Pressurized Water Reactors (PWR). Same thing with nuclear powered naval vessels (almost said "nucwear wessels") which obviously need to change power levels on demand.   
You can change power levels on a GE Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) but it is trickier, as some power levels are harder to maintain (the exclusion zone).  US has 64 PWRs and 32 BWRs.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7849 on: August 28, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »
More posts like this please, this is really interesting!