Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086507 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2700 on: June 03, 2016, 04:13:31 AM »

You can buy an actual hot plate for $20

Maybe in the US, here they cost $100+ for a simple unit. We wouldn't have room for it anyway and besides where's the fun in that. Much more fun to adapt to a little self imposed adversity.

And boy stuff is really cheap in the US....

Perhaps that's why the average consumer in the US tends to have more of it, and 'need' larger houses to store it all. Large houses are also cheap... (but only in certain areas).

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2701 on: June 03, 2016, 07:25:55 AM »
Update:  Crises averted (I think.)  I played a few more rounds of email-tag with the person who works in payroll/benefits.  I think they probably misspoke when they were talking to me on the phone earlier, because there is absolutely a true-up for 2015.  It was a glitch that the "true up" was happening all along, because they meant to do that at the end of the year per their policy.  I don't see how they could ever need to take anything away from me to reconcile this.  As for 2016, it looks like I just have to wait until the end of the year, and I will get the true-up.

This actually worries me more than your original post, because now you (probably) won't be quitting, so you will be caught off-guard if the 2015 match is actually removed.  Can you get this in writing from someone who can say this authoritatively?

*snip*
My MPP: I decided to treat myself on my birthday and go to Whole Foods to pick out a few stupidly-priced but high-quality treats that I wouldn't normally get. I was all excited to get some dried cherries, which I love, but upon discovering that they cost $19+ per pound I just couldn't make myself do it.
*snip*

You should keep looking for those cherries elsewhere!  At my family's Wegmans, there are "Dried Cherries" for $10.99/lb and "Tart Sweetened Cherries" for $11.99/lb.  I think I have also seen them either alone or in a mix at Aldi, but that price isn't online for me to give you the per-pound.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2702 on: June 03, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
Our MPPs:

4)  My vehicle has a combo CD/cassette player but the CD player broke.  We're too cheap to get it fixed so I'm restricted to cassettes, which is fine with me.  But my cassette recorder is also broken so I can't tape anything new to listen to.

my 15 yr old CD player stopped ejecting CDs about 3 years ago and I had a badly scratched Counting Crows CD stuck in there as my only option. Magically about a year ago it started ejecting again, but now I always think before putting another in "Is this CD good enough that I am willing to listen to it for all eternity?"

I bet you could get some cassettes for super cheap or free to round out your collection

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2703 on: June 03, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »
*snip*
My MPP: I decided to treat myself on my birthday and go to Whole Foods to pick out a few stupidly-priced but high-quality treats that I wouldn't normally get. I was all excited to get some dried cherries, which I love, but upon discovering that they cost $19+ per pound I just couldn't make myself do it.
*snip*

You should keep looking for those cherries elsewhere!  At my family's Wegmans, there are "Dried Cherries" for $10.99/lb and "Tart Sweetened Cherries" for $11.99/lb.  I think I have also seen them either alone or in a mix at Aldi, but that price isn't online for me to give you the per-pound.

My other local grocery stores are a worst-of-both-worlds combination of overpriced and low quality (yay, Manhattan!). I could probably get them cheap online or something. But I just really love/crave the Whole Foods ones and I pass one of the stores on the way home from work. Oh well, maybe for my next birthday.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2704 on: June 03, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »
Our MPPs:

4)  My vehicle has a combo CD/cassette player but the CD player broke.  We're too cheap to get it fixed so I'm restricted to cassettes, which is fine with me.  But my cassette recorder is also broken so I can't tape anything new to listen to.

my 15 yr old CD player stopped ejecting CDs about 3 years ago and I had a badly scratched Counting Crows CD stuck in there as my only option. Magically about a year ago it started ejecting again, but now I always think before putting another in "Is this CD good enough that I am willing to listen to it for all eternity?"

I bet you could get some cassettes for super cheap or free to round out your collection

They make (or used to) cassette to 1/8 inch audio converters. In college, I used one connected to a portable cd player powered through the cigarette lighter.   There's also FM transmitters, but I've always had poor luck trying to get them to work well without interference.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #2705 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »
Our MPPs:

Pre-MMM, I would have gone on ebay and looked for cheap cassettes.  Now even that seems like unnecessary spending.  :|  I guess I should check, at least.

p.s.  Love Counting Crows

Our MPPs:

They make (or used to) cassette to 1/8 inch audio converters. In college, I used one connected to a portable cd player powered through the cigarette lighter.   There's also FM transmitters, but I've always had poor luck trying to get them to work well without interference.

I have a converter to a portable CD player but it doesn't work well and doesn't remember where on the CD I was the last time I used it.  I should have added that radio is also an option but generally not an appealing one.

I thought of more MPPs:

5) I barely drive & the car is always parked in the same spot.  The passenger side faces south & the tires on that side have started to deteriorate.

6) Other financial/frugality blogs seem useless because they still assume a retirement age of 65.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:00:48 PM by nouveauRiche »

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2706 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
So park the car facing the other way next time or just cover up the tires.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2707 on: June 03, 2016, 11:23:44 PM »
Our MPPs:

5) I barely drive & the car is always parked in the same spot.  The passenger side faces south & the tires on that side have started to deteriorate.

Every 6 months or so, you can put some protectant on the outside of your tires.  Use the same stuff you would put on the dash to protect it from the sun.  It's cheap and completely eliminates this problem.

gollygeebers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Gotta Keep Learning
« Reply #2708 on: June 04, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
My car was side-swiped by a moving truck. On the driver's side, both doors and the rear panel are significantly scraped, dented, and covered in primer. When people ask me: "Whoa... when are you going to fix your car?" I respond: "Oh! I bought it that way. It cost $600, and it runs like a champ." Then I take a key and scratch the side some more and say: "Look! I just gouged my car and didn't loose a dollar. I love this thing!" Then I get to sit there in awkward silence while they try to figure out what to say next.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2709 on: June 04, 2016, 02:36:46 PM »
Hahaha, love it!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2710 on: June 04, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »
My car was side-swiped by a moving truck. On the driver's side, both doors and the rear panel are significantly scraped, dented, and covered in primer. When people ask me: "Whoa... when are you going to fix your car?" I respond: "Oh! I bought it that way. It cost $600, and it runs like a champ." Then I take a key and scratch the side some more and say: "Look! I just gouged my car and didn't loose a dollar. I love this thing!" Then I get to sit there in awkward silence while they try to figure out what to say next.

Sounds like you have the best car ever: http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-this-beat-up-kia-is-the-best-car-i-ve-ever-r-1776230820

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2711 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »

Sounds like you have the best car ever: http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-this-beat-up-kia-is-the-best-car-i-ve-ever-r-1776230820

LOL, that article and video are incredibly entertaining!

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2712 on: June 04, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »

LOL, that article and video are incredibly entertaining!

There is definitely something freeing about having an old beat up vehicle. I'm always a lot braver in my old truck (in town). One common occurence, people here often turn (illegally) into the far lane. Technically and legally, two cars can turn onto a 2 lane street at the same time, each into there respective lanes. In our nicer car, I always wait, but with the truck, I just take my lane. If you hit me, it's your fault, and I'm not worried about the truck.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2713 on: June 04, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »
Another nice thing about having an old car is that you can load stuff on the roof rack without worry.  Oops, DW dropped the kayak on the back of the car?  No problem!

This relates to my MPP - I really want a new (to me) car, I've seen a couple good ones come up on Craigslist, and I have the money, but my old car won't die so I can't pull the trigger. Oh well,I just want a less old version of the same car anyway.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2714 on: June 05, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »
I don't have a big enough freezer to hold all the Juneberries I want to pick from my trees. Yes I can do jam and berry muffins and eat them fresh, but still...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2715 on: June 05, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
I don't have a big enough freezer to hold all the Juneberries I want to pick from my trees. Yes I can do jam and berry muffins and eat them fresh, but still...
Make cordials too!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2716 on: June 05, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »

A problem easily solved:   you could let some Mustachian neighbors relieve you of some of your berry excess.  I'll admit I'm not familiar with Juneberries, but I'm sure they are tasty.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2717 on: June 05, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
I've never heard of juneberries. What do they taste like.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2718 on: June 06, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
They are delicious. Kind of blueberry-ish in taste and texture, but they do have small edible seeds. Google Amelanchier canadensis, which is the tree, native up and down the Eastern Seaboard. We have a stand of 8 trees and on good wet years like this one they are full of berries. We also see the trees around DC used for landscaping. People don't realize you can eat the berries. Best to take berries that are just past red and have a purplish cast. Thanks all for the reccs. Yeah, it's been juneberry yogurt smoothies and juneberry muffins. Next up I think a cordial. Makes a great jam too. I tried interesting neighbors in picking berries, but people aren't interested. Personally I like to pretend I'm a Neolithic gatherer, trying to gather berries for my tribe.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #2719 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:30 PM »
This relates to my MPP - I really want a new (to me) car, I've seen a couple good ones come up on Craigslist, and I have the money, but my old car won't die so I can't pull the trigger. Oh well,I just want a less old version of the same car anyway.

I have that MPP, too.  I want a "new" Nissan Leaf but DH says we have to wait until the 2001 vehicle dies.  It could be *years*!

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2720 on: June 06, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
could you dry the juneberries? Or make fruit leather?
They sound tasty.
We've been having frozen blueberries and strawberries, topped with Greek yogurt, and further topped with homemade nutty granola. SO GOOD!
Can go through a lot of berries this way (transiently takes up freezer space).

Do the juneberries ripen all at once, or over a more extended time?

Could you sell them??

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2721 on: June 06, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »
could you dry the juneberries? Or make fruit leather?
They sound tasty.
We've been having frozen blueberries and strawberries, topped with Greek yogurt, and further topped with homemade nutty granola. SO GOOD!
Can go through a lot of berries this way (transiently takes up freezer space).

Do the juneberries ripen all at once, or over a more extended time?

Could you sell them??
I don't know about drying.
They ripen over about two weeks end of May/early June and that's it. Then they are gone. Today may be the last pickable day before they are too ripe and start falling off and getting too squishy.
I suppose I could sell them. Maybe next year I'll get prepped for that. Cool idea! We have a farmer's market in our neighborhood. It would be the ultimate locavore find.
I like freezing them because they hold up really well and defrost fine, and it's nice to have them all fall and winter.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2722 on: June 06, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
 Just looked it up – I know that as a serviceberry. We don't have that exact variety here ( not wet enough, too much elevation), but we have some of its relatives.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2723 on: June 06, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »
Just looked it up – I know that as a serviceberry. We don't have that exact variety here ( not wet enough, too much elevation), but we have some of its relatives.
Yep, also known as serviceberries. Somehow "Juneberry" seems more appetizing. When we were spendy we had our property completely re-landscaped. That landscape designer did me a huge favor by putting in a path lined with Juneberry trees. (I had asked for natives.) We've been chowing down on these berries every year.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2724 on: June 06, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »
....This relates to my MPP - I really want a new (to me) car, I've seen a couple good ones come up on Craigslist, and I have the money, but my old car won't die so I can't pull the trigger. Oh well,I just want a less old version of the same car anyway.

Similar to Taran Wanderer's issue, I'm lusting after a Mac Pro,but my Mac G5 of late 2004 just won't die.   Everything works OK.  Three monitors (2 CRT 24"), and not a drop of Microsoft code.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2725 on: June 07, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »

Wow, those things go by a lot of different names! In most of Canada, they're saskatoon berries, but here in Newfoundland they're chuckley pears (and they don't ripen till August). In West Virginia I heard them called "sarvice berries".

I had never tried them until about three or four years ago. Oh, what a waste of the first decades of my life! They're awesome... sort of like a cross between blueberries, ripe cherries, and stewed plums. And super nutritious.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2726 on: June 07, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »

Wow, those things go by a lot of different names! In most of Canada, they're saskatoon berries, but here in Newfoundland they're chuckley pears (and they don't ripen till August). In West Virginia I heard them called "sarvice berries".

I had never tried them until about three or four years ago. Oh, what a waste of the first decades of my life! They're awesome... sort of like a cross between blueberries, ripe cherries, and stewed plums. And super nutritious.
Yep yep yep...oh and when baked in muffins the juneberry (or whatever one calls them) seeds get cooked and take on a taste and aroma of almonds. I don't understand why these trees aren't in everyone's yard (where they grow).

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #2727 on: June 07, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
Oh Saskatoons - so wonderful. My grandparents had some trees on their property and some years they were so prolific. Can't wait to get back to Alberta and Saskatoons again. Definitely planting some.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2728 on: June 08, 2016, 07:23:12 AM »
The city plants Saskatoon berries all over the place, so when I'm walking in a park, I'll often grab a few when they're ripe.  I have considered stripping some  of the bushes for myself, but haven't yet - a combination of being uncomfortable being seen doing so, and feeling that they are public berries for us all (plus the birds).

Le North Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2729 on: June 08, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »
Money burns a whole in my pockets...as soon as it gets in my account, I burn it all on VCN, VXC and VAB (Canada)...damn brokerage firm, why are your products so attractive!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2730 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:12 PM »

MPP #2: I put a chicken carcass in the Instant Pot for stock and then realized that I haven't even used up half the stock from last week. But I can't bear to throw away chicken bones without making stock. So now I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a lot of stock. Maybe I can start selling soup to my co-workers for lunch...

True that.. I cleaned out and defrosted my freeze and discovered that 25% of my storage was filled with a frozen turkey and several bags of turkey / poultry bones awaiting the stock pot... and three large containers of frozen stock...  Need to get on top of that one.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2731 on: June 08, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »

MPP #2: I put a chicken carcass in the Instant Pot for stock and then realized that I haven't even used up half the stock from last week. But I can't bear to throw away chicken bones without making stock. So now I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a lot of stock. Maybe I can start selling soup to my co-workers for lunch...

True that.. I cleaned out and defrosted my freeze and discovered that 25% of my storage was filled with a frozen turkey and several bags of turkey / poultry bones awaiting the stock pot... and three large containers of frozen stock...  Need to get on top of that one.

Two go-to recipes for using up stock in my house are risotto and megadarra.

Megadarra (aka mujadara, depending on the region) is a rice, lentil and onion dish that is amazingly delicious, cheap and filling. And fairly easy to make. And only needs pantry ingredients, if lentils and onions are part of your pantry. (They are for me.)

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/brown-lentils-and-rice-with-caramelized-onions

Here's a version of the recipe I use. It's from the author of the cookbook I use, but this doesn't say that you can sub stock for the water, and the cookbook version also doesn't have the yogurt sauce topping, which looks amazing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:20:36 PM by merula »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2732 on: June 08, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »

Two go-to recipes for using up stock in my house are risotto and megadarra.

Megadarra (aka mujadara, depending on the region) is a rice, lentil and onion dish that is amazingly delicious, cheap and filling. And fairly easy to make. And only needs pantry ingredients, if lentils and onions are part of your pantry. (They are for me.)

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/brown-lentils-and-rice-with-caramelized-onions

Here's a version of the recipe I use. It's from the author of the cookbook I use, but this doesn't say that you can sub stock for the water, and the cookbook version also doesn't have the yogurt sauce topping, which looks amazing.

Awesome.   It's grocery day (and the pantry / freezer are low, which is why I defrosted last weekend)...   but,  I do have rice, lentils and onions (a few) still.  Plain yogurt, and yes! a half tablespoon of lemon juice... I will try it tonight!   

Maybe finish up those carrots to go with it.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:53:57 PM by goldielocks »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2733 on: June 08, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
I have to figure out how to pay my property taxes since I no longer have a mortgage or escrow.

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2734 on: June 09, 2016, 05:12:30 AM »
Each day we work (so not on holidays or sickness), we get this "food-money" on a special bank card that we can only spend at the supermarket, places who provide food like sandwiches, croissants, ... So basically you buy food with it, although you can also buy washing powder and other stuff from the supermarket. Expires after a year being unused. It's also a tax advantage for the employer instead of raising wages. 

So in january they raised it from 6€/day to 8€/day which is awesome. So that's around 160€ a month for supermarket money. Except I'm not capable of spending it all. I now have a 220€ surplus. I already had friends over twice for a dinner party this month, cooked for them and bought A-brand drinks and chips/crisps for their visit. But it's still rising...

Good thing I'm having a 3.5 week holiday coming up so it goes down again... So yeah, it's a Mustachian problem!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2735 on: June 09, 2016, 06:09:14 AM »
Each day we work (so not on holidays or sickness), we get this "food-money" on a special bank card that we can only spend at the supermarket, places who provide food like sandwiches, croissants, ... So basically you buy food with it, although you can also buy washing powder and other stuff from the supermarket. Expires after a year being unused. It's also a tax advantage for the employer instead of raising wages. 

Can you purchase gift cards at the supermarket?

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #2736 on: June 09, 2016, 07:57:04 AM »
Each day we work (so not on holidays or sickness), we get this "food-money" on a special bank card . . .

That's an awesome benefit.  I wish I had that problem! 

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2737 on: June 09, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
My boyfriend is planning to buy a dark dress shirt on the way home from work today so he can wear it to a funeral. He just emailed me to ask me to check one of the (very few) dress shirts he already owns (all too light for a funeral, hence the upcoming purchase) to make sure he remembered his size correctly. That's how infrequently he shops.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #2738 on: June 09, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »
My phone is dying after only 2 years. It was a gift from my son.  I am an Android user so naturally I am lusting after a Galaxy.  Not the $649 one the one for $120.  I have the money to buy it but am reluctant to touch it since I enjoy letting Digit and Acorns siphon for savings. My son recommended the Galaxy J3.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2739 on: June 09, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »
My phone is dying after only 2 years. It was a gift from my son.  I am an Android user so naturally I am lusting after a Galaxy.  Not the $649 one the one for $120.  I have the money to buy it but am reluctant to touch it since I enjoy letting Digit and Acorns siphon for savings. My son recommended the Galaxy J3.

Skimming the post, I first read that as "my son is dying after only 2 years" .. Was sad because sons should last at least 4 years

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2740 on: June 10, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »

So in january they raised it from 6€/day to 8€/day which is awesome. So that's around 160€ a month for supermarket money. Except I'm not capable of spending it all. I now have a 220€ surplus. I already had friends over twice for a dinner party this month, cooked for them and bought A-brand drinks and chips/crisps for their visit. But it's still rising...

Good thing I'm having a 3.5 week holiday coming up so it goes down again... So yeah, it's a Mustachian problem!

Buy food and donate to the food bank/pantry?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2741 on: June 11, 2016, 05:04:28 AM »
Each day we work (so not on holidays or sickness), we get this "food-money" on a special bank card that we can only spend at the supermarket, places who provide food like sandwiches, croissants, ... [...]So in january they raised it from 6€/day to 8€/day which is awesome. So that's around 160€ a month for supermarket money. Except I'm not capable of spending it all. I now have a 220€ surplus.

If you have space to store it, buy some high value non-perishables?  At my last job, there was occasional freebie laundry detergent (as well as other products).  I've been gone two years, and still not had to purchase anything new.

Other people have mentioned food banks, and I'd point out that they generally really appreciate the high value items like diapers, laundry detergent, spices, juice boxes (for packed lunches) or condiments over bulk pasta.

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2742 on: June 13, 2016, 06:48:33 AM »
Turns out if you order anything from their related webshops (like hard drives, usbsticks, bed sheets, ...) and pick it up at the supermarket where you can have it delivered, you can also pay with this food-budget :-)
But thanks for the insight, I'll probably donate some of the suggested stuff above and some old sheets, and then treat myself with some new sheets. Repeat with something similar every time I get a couple 100€'s left.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2743 on: June 14, 2016, 07:32:58 AM »
MPP: I got a significant raise when I changed jobs a couple months ago, but since I ramped up my 401k contribution and index fund investments when that happened, it doesn't feel like I have any more money in my pocket.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #2744 on: June 14, 2016, 07:45:14 AM »
For those of you needing to use up chicken stock -- freeze it in ice cube trays and use a cube or two each time you steam or sautee vegetables, or use it in place of water for cooking rice. Add a cube or two to mashed potatoes. Homemade stock is an awesome thing to have in your kitchen.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2745 on: June 14, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »
MPP: I got a significant raise when I changed jobs a couple months ago, but since I ramped up my 401k contribution and index fund investments when that happened, it doesn't feel like I have any more money in my pocket.

Yep, I haven't had a payrise (in effect) in years. Sure puts a pay to lifestyle inflation! But I am considering filling out the budget a bit when we get savings from a lower mortgage rate next month. I feel I am starting to cause myself stress from trying to save money, and that's counter-productive.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2746 on: June 14, 2016, 07:59:40 AM »

Yep, I haven't had a payrise (in effect) in years. Sure puts a pay to lifestyle inflation! But I am considering filling out the budget a bit when we get savings from a lower mortgage rate next month. I feel I am starting to cause myself stress from trying to save money, and that's counter-productive.

I've found the best way to relieve stress about money is to track it.  No matter what your salary range is, or your savings rate, half of the stress is not knowing.  Find your favorite way to track your money, I use Personal Capital but there are others that are just fine.  Now that half your stress is gone, look at the data and figure out a plan to your goal.  Stress gone. 

fat-johnny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2747 on: June 15, 2016, 06:05:45 AM »
I was telling a coworker about my new Chase Southwest Visa that I got specifically to get the 50,000 bonus miles.

Coworker:  Oh yeah...what is the interest rate??
Me:  I don't know.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2748 on: June 15, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »
I was telling a coworker about my new Chase Southwest Visa that I got specifically to get the 50,000 bonus miles.

We all understand that, but you needed to followup with, I never pay interest on a credit card,
that would be ridiculous!
You missed a teaching moment.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2749 on: June 15, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »

-

Hah! I just realized I have no idea what the interest rate is on any of my cards. I would assume around 20%, since that's a common number in Canada.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!