Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 834501 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2700 on: June 01, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »
My pension website was just 'updated' this month and I'm no longer able to log in to find out my lump sum value each month for net worth tracking purposes. Now I have to call in on the first of each month to get them to send it to me in the mail weeks later (they currently have a 4 week backlog).

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2701 on: June 01, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
I can't get my Mint "profile completeness" to 100%, because I don't own a car! And I never will, because I don't have a license either!

A Matchbox car is $0.97 at my local Walmart.

My recent MPP: Apparently we're cash hoarders. I'm not sure exactly how it got to that extent, but when we decided to buy a "new" (state surplus) car, I found out they only take cash or cashier's checks. So, before going to take some cash out of the bank, we started collecting from around the house. Old emergency cash stash, the pile from a recent bunch of Craigslist sales... oh, and I still have that envelope from when I sold off my paintball stuff a few years ago... Here' s that cash from the 'junk silver' we sold off...

Whoops. Don't need to go to the bank anymore.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2702 on: June 01, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
My teens know there is no point in asking me to buy them junk or to drive them places that they can bike to - so we hardly talk anymore.
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2703 on: June 01, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »
I only have like maybe 75k in invested assets right now and they're broad market. That only accounts for like a third of it, the rest is baffling.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2704 on: June 02, 2016, 02:50:52 AM »
I only have like maybe 75k in invested assets right now and they're broad market. That only accounts for like a third of it, the rest is baffling.

This must be what normal people are talking about when they say, "I don't know where all my money went this month!". And I'm like, really...?

Except yours is, "I don't know where all my money came from this month!". I'm still kinda, really, but yours is a far preferable problem!

rantk81

• Stubble
« Reply #2705 on: June 02, 2016, 08:14:06 AM »
This Mustachian Problem isn't quite "Just for fun" for me... in fact, it makes me a bit angry.

I've been at the same employer for nearly 12 years.  Two years ago, it was acquired by a different company.
In the past, before the acquisition, and up through calendar year 2014), I would front-load my 401k.  The company would still continue to put in the "match" on the rest of my paychecks for the rest of the year (avoiding the need for an end-of-the-year true-up).

For all of 2015 and for part of 2016, I front-loaded the 401k and had it filled by the end of April.  The paystubs and Fidelity's website both reflected the continued "match" contributions.

I noticed some weird transactions on the Fidelity 401k website recently, so I began asking some questions of the benefits people.

I was basically told that:
- They have a lot of accounting irregularities with the 401k and are trying to do what they can to keep it in compliance.
- For year 2015, there was not supposed to be a true-up.  Apparently with the merger, this "feature" was taken away (but without properly communicating this to the employees.)  All of the "matched" contributions that happened throughout year 2015 after I had finished front-loading, are slated to be removed from my 401k account at some point.
- For year 2016 I had already finished front-loading back in March or April.  I think the person I spoke with told me that they re-instated the true-up for 2016, but it is supposed to happen at the end of the calendar year, not gradually throughout the year.  The matched amounts I've already received this year (after the front-loading was complete) will be removed from my 401k account at some point..... and I will presumably be given the true-up at the end of the year.  (I did ask if the true-up would happen if I was separated from the company before the end of the year, and they told me "no" it would not true-up if there is a separation for any reason.)

I'm furious right now.

Edit:  Re-reading this, I'll try to clarify what happened.
1.  [2004-2014]  When I front-loaded my 401k, the match amount would continue to happen throughout the year, even after my own contributions hit the IRS limit.  No need for end of year true-up.  Everything is great.
2. Company was acquired by another company.  For benefit year 2015, they eliminated the true-up provision in the 401k.  They did NOT communicate this to employees.
3. Even though they eliminated the true-up in 2015, they continued to put money into the 401k as a "match" (after I had finished the front-loading of my contributions).  So I thought everything was fine and working as per previous years.  I later found out that this was a "payroll glitch" all along.  They told me they will be taking this money back out of my account at some point.
4.  At the beginning of 2016, I still did not know that the true-up was eliminated, and I had no idea that the continued matching contributions on my paystrub were all "glitches."  So, again I had I front-loaded my contributions.  Same problem.  They also continued to throw in their matching portion for a while, until just recently.
5. I contacted them the other day, and their response is:
- All the matches after my "frontloading" in 2015 were "errors" and will be taken back.
- All the matches after my "frontloading" in 2016 so far were also "errors" and will be taken back (but may or may not be added at the end of year true-up, if I'm still at the company.)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:22:22 AM by rantk81 »

rantk81

• Stubble
« Reply #2706 on: June 02, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
I'm kind of thinking about turning this into an "epic FU story" and resigning now (before they take the money out).... so I can roll it over to an IRA before they get the chance.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #2707 on: June 02, 2016, 08:53:28 AM »
. . .
I'm furious right now.
. . .

As you should be.  I would pitch a big fit about it if in fact they did not communicate it to you.  If it had been communicated to you, you would have structured your contributions differently. 

Whenever I hear stories like this, though, I question whether there was no communication or whether the employee just missed the communication.  Mustachians are better than most at reading the fine print but it happens to the best of us from time to time.  How sure are you that it was not communicated to you?  Did you receive any communications directly stating that you would get the match all year if you front-loaded?  I mention these questions just so that you are sure to get your details straight before raising hell about it-- it would not look good for you to make a stink about it only to be presented with documentation showing that you were in fact informed of the changes.  If you were informed and didn't change your behavior, you own that mistake regardless of whatever mistakes the payroll department made. 

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2708 on: June 02, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »
How much money are we talking about? If this happened to me, it would cost me $7-8k, which would not be enough to lead me to quit over it. But I really like my job and any other equivalent job with another company would involve buying a car for a clownish commute or moving, so $7-8k is peanuts.

And even if you pulled it all out and converted to an IRA, they might still come after you. May or may not be successful, but that'd be a headache.

Like AlwaysLearning mentioned, this may have been communicated and you missed it. I've done that. I'd suggest asking very politely for the annoucement and details that were originally sent, so that you can better understand the change. If you get them, then you've got that out of the way without looking foolish. If you don't get them (which would be where I'd put my money), proceed with all sorts of complaints. Even if they come up with it later you have some evidence that you tried in good faith to get more information and they're so scatterbrained they can't even keep track of their own stuff.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2709 on: June 02, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
This Mustachian Problem isn't quite "Just for fun" for me... in fact, it makes me a bit angry.

I would suggest reaching out to the Department of Labor and see if what they are doing is even legal. If you are vested in your 401k, it sounds fishy that your employer can retroactively reduce their prior years matches. This is money that you've been earning returns on OR what if your account has LOST money? Are they going to then in effect steal from your self-contributions?

https://www.dol.gov/dol/contact/contact-phonecallcenter.htm

rantk81

• Stubble
« Reply #2710 on: June 02, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
I reviewed ALL the documentation on our intranet, about the last 2 years of annual enrollment documents/flyers/emails that were sent out to the employees.  None of the documents make any mention of this change.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2711 on: June 02, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »

I would suggest reaching out to the Department of Labor and see if what they are doing is even legal. If you are vested in your 401k, it sounds fishy that your employer can retroactively reduce their prior years matches. This is money that you've been earning returns on OR what if your account has LOST money? Are they going to then in effect steal from your self-contributions?

https://www.dol.gov/dol/contact/contact-phonecallcenter.htm

Yeah not to sound all lawyery, but if it's enough money I wouldn't just quit, I'd sue.  Sure, follow all reasonably courses of amicable resolution first... But there would seem to be a number of legal theories under which you could recover the difference (it would be taxable, but it could be potentially increased to account for that).  Sure, lawyers are expensive, but there's the possibility of small claims court too.  This isn't legal advice, btw just my support in you being pissed off

nouveauRiche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2712 on: June 02, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
Our MPPs:

1) Met an old friend for drinks & then we were heading to a restaurant in my car.  Friend was appalled that I was driving a 15 year old car and actually told me he would buy me a new car.  He earns a ton (probably more than DH & I do combined) so I didn't mind telling him that we could buy a new car with cash (but choose not to).

2) DH has been getting his hair cut by the same person for about 25 years.  She reduced her hours to the point where it's no longer convenient to use her.  DH went to a couple of other people and was annoyed at having to pay for mediocre haircuts.  So now I have to do it.  The haircuts are still mediocre but at least they're free.

3) We can only discuss our money milestones with each other (and this forum).

4)  My vehicle has a combo CD/cassette player but the CD player broke.  We're too cheap to get it fixed so I'm restricted to cassettes, which is fine with me.  But my cassette recorder is also broken so I can't tape anything new to listen to.

rantk81

• Stubble
« Reply #2713 on: June 02, 2016, 04:57:51 PM »
Update:  Crises averted (I think.)  I played a few more rounds of email-tag with the person who works in payroll/benefits.  I think they probably misspoke when they were talking to me on the phone earlier, because there is absolutely a true-up for 2015.  It was a glitch that the "true up" was happening all along, because they meant to do that at the end of the year per their policy.  I don't see how they could ever need to take anything away from me to reconcile this.  As for 2016, it looks like I just have to wait until the end of the year, and I will get the true-up.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2714 on: June 02, 2016, 05:34:57 PM »
Update:  Crises averted (I think.)  I played a few more rounds of email-tag with the person who works in payroll/benefits.  I think they probably misspoke when they were talking to me on the phone earlier, because there is absolutely a true-up for 2015.  It was a glitch that the "true up" was happening all along, because they meant to do that at the end of the year per their policy.  I don't see how they could ever need to take anything away from me to reconcile this.  As for 2016, it looks like I just have to wait until the end of the year, and I will get the true-up.

Good to hear. While it's not ideal from an investment perspective, at least you may get some enjoyment from a lump sum deposit of "free" money.

I find that "level 1" HR support is typically newly hired college grads that only have training guides to go off of when answering questions. I wouldn't have a problem with this if they weren't so cocky with their answers (that are often wrong).

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2715 on: June 02, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »
Update:  Crises averted (I think.)

Whew! We might have had to move that to a "Mustachian People Problems (no fun at all)" thread otherwise!

My MPP: I decided to treat myself on my birthday and go to Whole Foods to pick out a few stupidly-priced but high-quality treats that I wouldn't normally get. I was all excited to get some dried cherries, which I love, but upon discovering that they cost $19+ per pound I just couldn't make myself do it.

MPP #2: I put a chicken carcass in the Instant Pot for stock and then realized that I haven't even used up half the stock from last week. But I can't bear to throw away chicken bones without making stock. So now I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a lot of stock. Maybe I can start selling soup to my co-workers for lunch...
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #2716 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
MPP #2: I put a chicken carcass in the Instant Pot for stock and then realized that I haven't even used up half the stock from last week. But I can't bear to throw away chicken bones without making stock. So now I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a lot of stock. Maybe I can start selling soup to my co-workers for lunch...

Have me over for dinner? I'll bring the matzoh balls.
MJ Is A GD Ray of Sunshine

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2717 on: June 02, 2016, 09:52:10 PM »

That's a hell of a commute for a bowl of soup :-)  Fortunately (?) for me and my stock supply issues, I started coming down with a sore throat/cold of some kind so I suspect I'll find many uses for soothing broth this weekend. I'll trade you a big pot of chicken soup for a new immune system...
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #2718 on: June 02, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »

That's a hell of a commute for a bowl of soup :-)  Fortunately (?) for me and my stock supply issues, I started coming down with a sore throat/cold of some kind so I suspect I'll find many uses for soothing broth this weekend. I'll trade you a big pot of chicken soup for a new immune system...

That's a generous offer, thank you, but I will keep my immune system. Good luck.
MJ Is A GD Ray of Sunshine

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

mwulff

• Stubble
« Reply #2719 on: June 03, 2016, 12:00:54 AM »
A real mustacian problem:

We are preparing our 700 sqft house for our FIRE in 10 years. We've been making a list of things we would like to do before FIRE, mostly things that will save money going forward so we can live as cheaply as possible.

So the other day we had a choice: Renovate the kitchen or buy solar panels. We decided to buy solar panels because power in our country is insanely expensive. Now we get the papers signed, contractor in place, proper regulatory approval and the cash ready.

Now what happens? Our stove breaks 1 out of 4 hotplates. No big deal right, it's called adaptation. So we keep chugging along for a few days and another hotplate breaks. 2 down, 2 to go.

Ok, now we are slightly inconvenienced. So I tear the stove apart and find that the heating elements have broken, and after only 15 years. But the price to fix them would run to about $200. A new stove would be $1200 or there about.

Now we are down to four choices:

1. Buy used stove somewhere
2. Buy new stove for $1200
3. Replace kitchen so we can fit modern appliances. (about $12.000 - even with diy)
4. Adapt and live with the current stove.

I jump on our local CL site and find no stoves expect some priced insanely high. So I line up the choices and ask DW what she would like:

First question was: Do we have to liquidate stock for this? A: No.

Second question: Will your quality of life be better with a new kitchen? A: Not really

And she goes: "Screw it, I'm not spending money on that stuff when there are stocks to buy, and besides two hotplates ought to be enough for two people"...

I consider myself very lucky to have found her.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2720 on: June 03, 2016, 12:23:46 AM »

Second question: Will your quality of life be better with a new kitchen? A: Not really

And she goes: "Screw it, I'm not spending money on that stuff when there are stocks to buy, and besides two hotplates ought to be enough for two people"...

Now that's a love story!!! Why isn't Disney making that into a movie?! I'm sure we'd all borrow it from the library when it came to DVD.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2721 on: June 03, 2016, 12:47:54 AM »

We are preparing our 700 sqft house for our FIRE in 10 years. We've been making a list of things we would like to do before FIRE, mostly things that will save money going forward so we can live as cheaply as possible.

So the other day we had a choice: Renovate the kitchen or buy solar panels. We decided to buy solar panels because power in our country is insanely expensive. Now we get the papers signed, contractor in place, proper regulatory approval and the cash ready.

Now what happens? Our stove breaks 1 out of 4 hotplates. No big deal right, it's called adaptation. So we keep chugging along for a few days and another hotplate breaks. 2 down, 2 to go.

Ok, now we are slightly inconvenienced. So I tear the stove apart and find that the heating elements have broken, and after only 15 years. But the price to fix them would run to about $200. A new stove would be $1200 or there about.

Now we are down to four choices:

1. Buy used stove somewhere
2. Buy new stove for $1200
3. Replace kitchen so we can fit modern appliances. (about $12.000 - even with diy)
4. Adapt and live with the current stove.

I jump on our local CL site and find no stoves expect some priced insanely high. So I line up the choices and ask DW what she would like:

First question was: Do we have to liquidate stock for this? A: No.

You can buy an actual hot plate for $20

mwulff

• Stubble
« Reply #2722 on: June 03, 2016, 02:32:53 AM »

Maybe in the US, here they cost $100+ for a simple unit. We wouldn't have room for it anyway and besides where's the fun in that. Much more fun to adapt to a little self imposed adversity.

And boy stuff is really cheap in the US....

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2723 on: June 03, 2016, 04:13:31 AM »

Maybe in the US, here they cost $100+ for a simple unit. We wouldn't have room for it anyway and besides where's the fun in that. Much more fun to adapt to a little self imposed adversity.

And boy stuff is really cheap in the US....

Perhaps that's why the average consumer in the US tends to have more of it, and 'need' larger houses to store it all. Large houses are also cheap... (but only in certain areas).

With This Herring

• Pencil Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2724 on: June 03, 2016, 07:25:55 AM »

This actually worries me more than your original post, because now you (probably) won't be quitting, so you will be caught off-guard if the 2015 match is actually removed.  Can you get this in writing from someone who can say this authoritatively?

*snip*
My MPP: I decided to treat myself on my birthday and go to Whole Foods to pick out a few stupidly-priced but high-quality treats that I wouldn't normally get. I was all excited to get some dried cherries, which I love, but upon discovering that they cost $19+ per pound I just couldn't make myself do it.
*snip*

You should keep looking for those cherries elsewhere!  At my family's Wegmans, there are "Dried Cherries" for $10.99/lb and "Tart Sweetened Cherries" for $11.99/lb.  I think I have also seen them either alone or in a mix at Aldi, but that price isn't online for me to give you the per-pound.
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

fuzzy math

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Not a dude
« Reply #2725 on: June 03, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
Our MPPs:

4)  My vehicle has a combo CD/cassette player but the CD player broke.  We're too cheap to get it fixed so I'm restricted to cassettes, which is fine with me.  But my cassette recorder is also broken so I can't tape anything new to listen to.

my 15 yr old CD player stopped ejecting CDs about 3 years ago and I had a badly scratched Counting Crows CD stuck in there as my only option. Magically about a year ago it started ejecting again, but now I always think before putting another in "Is this CD good enough that I am willing to listen to it for all eternity?"

I bet you could get some cassettes for super cheap or free to round out your collection

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2726 on: June 03, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »
*snip*
*snip*

You should keep looking for those cherries elsewhere!  At my family's Wegmans, there are "Dried Cherries" for $10.99/lb and "Tart Sweetened Cherries" for $11.99/lb.  I think I have also seen them either alone or in a mix at Aldi, but that price isn't online for me to give you the per-pound.

My other local grocery stores are a worst-of-both-worlds combination of overpriced and low quality (yay, Manhattan!). I could probably get them cheap online or something. But I just really love/crave the Whole Foods ones and I pass one of the stores on the way home from work. Oh well, maybe for my next birthday.

BDWW

• Stubble
« Reply #2727 on: June 03, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »
Our MPPs:

my 15 yr old CD player stopped ejecting CDs about 3 years ago and I had a badly scratched Counting Crows CD stuck in there as my only option. Magically about a year ago it started ejecting again, but now I always think before putting another in "Is this CD good enough that I am willing to listen to it for all eternity?"

I bet you could get some cassettes for super cheap or free to round out your collection

They make (or used to) cassette to 1/8 inch audio converters. In college, I used one connected to a portable cd player powered through the cigarette lighter.   There's also FM transmitters, but I've always had poor luck trying to get them to work well without interference.

nouveauRiche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2728 on: June 03, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »
Our MPPs:

Pre-MMM, I would have gone on ebay and looked for cheap cassettes.  Now even that seems like unnecessary spending.  :|  I guess I should check, at least.

p.s.  Love Counting Crows

Our MPPs:

They make (or used to) cassette to 1/8 inch audio converters. In college, I used one connected to a portable cd player powered through the cigarette lighter.   There's also FM transmitters, but I've always had poor luck trying to get them to work well without interference.

I have a converter to a portable CD player but it doesn't work well and doesn't remember where on the CD I was the last time I used it.  I should have added that radio is also an option but generally not an appealing one.

I thought of more MPPs:

5) I barely drive & the car is always parked in the same spot.  The passenger side faces south & the tires on that side have started to deteriorate.

6) Other financial/frugality blogs seem useless because they still assume a retirement age of 65.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:00:48 PM by nouveauRiche »

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #2729 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
So park the car facing the other way next time or just cover up the tires.

NorCal

• Bristles
« Reply #2730 on: June 03, 2016, 11:23:44 PM »
Our MPPs:

5) I barely drive & the car is always parked in the same spot.  The passenger side faces south & the tires on that side have started to deteriorate.

Every 6 months or so, you can put some protectant on the outside of your tires.  Use the same stuff you would put on the dash to protect it from the sun.  It's cheap and completely eliminates this problem.

gollygeebers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Gotta Keep Learning
« Reply #2731 on: June 04, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
My car was side-swiped by a moving truck. On the driver's side, both doors and the rear panel are significantly scraped, dented, and covered in primer. When people ask me: "Whoa... when are you going to fix your car?" I respond: "Oh! I bought it that way. It cost $600, and it runs like a champ." Then I take a key and scratch the side some more and say: "Look! I just gouged my car and didn't loose a dollar. I love this thing!" Then I get to sit there in awkward silence while they try to figure out what to say next.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2732 on: June 04, 2016, 02:36:46 PM »
Hahaha, love it!
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2733 on: June 04, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »
My car was side-swiped by a moving truck. On the driver's side, both doors and the rear panel are significantly scraped, dented, and covered in primer. When people ask me: "Whoa... when are you going to fix your car?" I respond: "Oh! I bought it that way. It cost $600, and it runs like a champ." Then I take a key and scratch the side some more and say: "Look! I just gouged my car and didn't loose a dollar. I love this thing!" Then I get to sit there in awkward silence while they try to figure out what to say next.

Sounds like you have the best car ever: http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-this-beat-up-kia-is-the-best-car-i-ve-ever-r-1776230820

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2734 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »

Sounds like you have the best car ever: http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-this-beat-up-kia-is-the-best-car-i-ve-ever-r-1776230820

LOL, that article and video are incredibly entertaining!

BDWW

• Stubble
« Reply #2735 on: June 04, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »

LOL, that article and video are incredibly entertaining!

There is definitely something freeing about having an old beat up vehicle. I'm always a lot braver in my old truck (in town). One common occurence, people here often turn (illegally) into the far lane. Technically and legally, two cars can turn onto a 2 lane street at the same time, each into there respective lanes. In our nicer car, I always wait, but with the truck, I just take my lane. If you hit me, it's your fault, and I'm not worried about the truck.

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #2736 on: June 04, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »
Another nice thing about having an old car is that you can load stuff on the roof rack without worry.  Oops, DW dropped the kayak on the back of the car?  No problem!

This relates to my MPP - I really want a new (to me) car, I've seen a couple good ones come up on Craigslist, and I have the money, but my old car won't die so I can't pull the trigger. Oh well,I just want a less old version of the same car anyway.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2737 on: June 05, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »
I don't have a big enough freezer to hold all the Juneberries I want to pick from my trees. Yes I can do jam and berry muffins and eat them fresh, but still...

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2738 on: June 05, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
I don't have a big enough freezer to hold all the Juneberries I want to pick from my trees. Yes I can do jam and berry muffins and eat them fresh, but still...
Make cordials too!

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2739 on: June 05, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »

A problem easily solved:   you could let some Mustachian neighbors relieve you of some of your berry excess.  I'll admit I'm not familiar with Juneberries, but I'm sure they are tasty.

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2740 on: June 05, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
I've never heard of juneberries. What do they taste like.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2741 on: June 06, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
They are delicious. Kind of blueberry-ish in taste and texture, but they do have small edible seeds. Google Amelanchier canadensis, which is the tree, native up and down the Eastern Seaboard. We have a stand of 8 trees and on good wet years like this one they are full of berries. We also see the trees around DC used for landscaping. People don't realize you can eat the berries. Best to take berries that are just past red and have a purplish cast. Thanks all for the reccs. Yeah, it's been juneberry yogurt smoothies and juneberry muffins. Next up I think a cordial. Makes a great jam too. I tried interesting neighbors in picking berries, but people aren't interested. Personally I like to pretend I'm a Neolithic gatherer, trying to gather berries for my tribe.

nouveauRiche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2742 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:30 PM »
This relates to my MPP - I really want a new (to me) car, I've seen a couple good ones come up on Craigslist, and I have the money, but my old car won't die so I can't pull the trigger. Oh well,I just want a less old version of the same car anyway.

I have that MPP, too.  I want a "new" Nissan Leaf but DH says we have to wait until the 2001 vehicle dies.  It could be *years*!

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2743 on: June 06, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
could you dry the juneberries? Or make fruit leather?
They sound tasty.
We've been having frozen blueberries and strawberries, topped with Greek yogurt, and further topped with homemade nutty granola. SO GOOD!
Can go through a lot of berries this way (transiently takes up freezer space).

Do the juneberries ripen all at once, or over a more extended time?

Could you sell them??

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2744 on: June 06, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »
could you dry the juneberries? Or make fruit leather?
They sound tasty.
We've been having frozen blueberries and strawberries, topped with Greek yogurt, and further topped with homemade nutty granola. SO GOOD!
Can go through a lot of berries this way (transiently takes up freezer space).

Do the juneberries ripen all at once, or over a more extended time?

Could you sell them??
I don't know about drying.
They ripen over about two weeks end of May/early June and that's it. Then they are gone. Today may be the last pickable day before they are too ripe and start falling off and getting too squishy.
I suppose I could sell them. Maybe next year I'll get prepped for that. Cool idea! We have a farmer's market in our neighborhood. It would be the ultimate locavore find.
I like freezing them because they hold up really well and defrost fine, and it's nice to have them all fall and winter.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2745 on: June 06, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
 Just looked it up I know that as a serviceberry. We don't have that exact variety here ( not wet enough, too much elevation), but we have some of its relatives.

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2746 on: June 06, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »
Just looked it up I know that as a serviceberry. We don't have that exact variety here ( not wet enough, too much elevation), but we have some of its relatives.
Yep, also known as serviceberries. Somehow "Juneberry" seems more appetizing. When we were spendy we had our property completely re-landscaped. That landscape designer did me a huge favor by putting in a path lined with Juneberry trees. (I had asked for natives.) We've been chowing down on these berries every year.

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #2747 on: June 06, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »
....This relates to my MPP - I really want a new (to me) car, I've seen a couple good ones come up on Craigslist, and I have the money, but my old car won't die so I can't pull the trigger. Oh well,I just want a less old version of the same car anyway.

Similar to Taran Wanderer's issue, I'm lusting after a Mac Pro,but my Mac G5 of late 2004 just won't die.   Everything works OK.  Three monitors (2 CRT 24"), and not a drop of Microsoft code.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2748 on: June 07, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »

Wow, those things go by a lot of different names! In most of Canada, they're saskatoon berries, but here in Newfoundland they're chuckley pears (and they don't ripen till August). In West Virginia I heard them called "sarvice berries".

I had never tried them until about three or four years ago. Oh, what a waste of the first decades of my life! They're awesome... sort of like a cross between blueberries, ripe cherries, and stewed plums. And super nutritious.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2749 on: June 07, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »

Wow, those things go by a lot of different names! In most of Canada, they're saskatoon berries, but here in Newfoundland they're chuckley pears (and they don't ripen till August). In West Virginia I heard them called "sarvice berries".

I had never tried them until about three or four years ago. Oh, what a waste of the first decades of my life! They're awesome... sort of like a cross between blueberries, ripe cherries, and stewed plums. And super nutritious.
Yep yep yep...oh and when baked in muffins the juneberry (or whatever one calls them) seeds get cooked and take on a taste and aroma of almonds. I don't understand why these trees aren't in everyone's yard (where they grow).