Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1164328 times)

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3900 on: June 02, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Thoughtful colleague: "I've been sent a discount voucher for a spa day for up to four people. It's only 150 per person and it includes afternoon tea, two pampering treatments, and being able to spend the whole day there just relaxing. You and I could go, and pay for (two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) to come with us as a treat, and leave the boys to manage by themselves for the day."

Me: Splutter. Cough. Choke. "How about we just give (the two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) 150 each as a cash bonus that they can spend as they please or put towards their retirement fund?"

(Bless her, we've worked together for a very long time and my colleague still hasn't got her head round the fact that "being pampered" is my idea of torture, and keeps offering recommendations for beauticians and cosmetic ranges and spa retreats. I'm sure she's only trying to help.)

What is this word, spa? I feel like you're starting to a say a word and you're not finishing it. Spaghetti? Are you taking me to a spaghetti day?

Oh, this is BRILLIANT! Please may I borrow it for next time? Because there WILL be a next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krmpa6sTaUI

Sometimes - just sometimes - being totally out of touch with popular culture sucks!

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3901 on: June 02, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
I'm sad.  The company I work for just filed bankruptcy, and not only did they do away with the company match (4%) but they just sent out a letter telling us that there is now a 0.84% fee on all assets in the 401-K.

WTF?!  They have great low cost choices, I did not see this coming!  I expected to lose the match, but this is just not cool.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #3902 on: June 02, 2017, 09:40:55 PM »
I'm sad.  The company I work for just filed bankruptcy, and not only did they do away with the company match (4%) but they just sent out a letter telling us that there is now a 0.84% fee on all assets in the 401-K.

WTF?!  They have great low cost choices, I did not see this coming!  I expected to lose the match, but this is just not cool.
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you.  Corporate bankruptcy can be an ugly business.  Hang in there - and keep your resume ready.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #3903 on: June 03, 2017, 01:35:10 AM »
I've read all the good books in my local small library and now have to drive 15 minutes to the larger one to browse. To be fair, I make a list when I browse, and then order them for pick up in the smaller, closer library in lots of 5 or 6 at a time.

I can afford to pay less for grocery items by buying large amounts of great, 6 monthly type specials on products I use often. The cat finds it annoying that most of it is stored under the bed.

I'm almost out of clean clothes because it's been wet weather for AGES and I sort of don't consider the dryer as an actual usable appliance and only really have it because a friend who updates her european appliances every few years gave it to me. I might actually use it tonight.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:41:12 AM by AnnaGrowsAMustache »

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3904 on: June 03, 2017, 06:35:58 AM »

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you.  Corporate bankruptcy can be an ugly business.  Hang in there - and keep your resume ready.
I've been updating it this week :-)

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #3905 on: June 03, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
Half our YTD spending is taxes (because we have cut back in other areas).
"Incidentally, ten years ago I thought I wanted a Mercedes. Now I just want a nap and a cup of coffee."
  - Kashmani in Defining 'Rich'

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3906 on: June 03, 2017, 10:57:37 PM »
Same here. Though I don't really treat income taxes as "spending".

rantk81

• Stubble
« Reply #3907 on: June 04, 2017, 07:23:25 AM »
Same here. Though I don't really treat income taxes as "spending".

Yeah, for the past several years, the amount I've paid in the sum of various taxes (Fed, State, SS, Medicare, Property Tax, Sales Tax) far exceeds the amount I've actually spent on all other things combined.  I do have a high income in a high-tax location (Chicago) though.

For the purposes of my spending tracking for being able to FI/RE, I don't include most of these taxes as "spending" because I anticipate being in a much lower LCOL area later after I pull the plug on my corporate job.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #3908 on: June 04, 2017, 05:06:16 PM »
Neither one of us is feeling well, and we were discussing what to do for dinner. Spouse suggested delivery, but we realized that we don't even know what places deliver nearby or what types of food we could order for delivery...We did have pizza delivered a couple years ago...

Of course, if we were good mustachians, we would have backup food in the freezer that we could eat. We do have some uncooked stuff in there, but defrosting is haaaaaard. We'll probably do our fallback of grocery store hot bar.

Update: used a homemade crust I made and froze the other day to make pizza. Victory!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:25:51 PM by Ebrat »

Apples

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3909 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
I've read all the good books in my local small library and now have to drive 15 minutes to the larger one to browse. To be fair, I make a list when I browse, and then order them for pick up in the smaller, closer library in lots of 5 or 6 at a time.

Wait, doesn't your library allow you to access all of their collection online?  That way you can browse from home, then put a book on hold to pick up at the library closer to you?  Do not all libraries do this?  I can see the collection from our entire county online, then get an email alert when the book is at the closest library and ready to be picked up.  I can even do inter-library loans online...

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3910 on: June 05, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
I'm almost out of clean clothes because it's been wet weather for AGES and I sort of don't consider the dryer as an actual usable appliance and only really have it because a friend who updates her european appliances every few years gave it to me. I might actually use it tonight.

Heresy!

Only joking, of course.

JayhawkRacer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3911 on: June 05, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »

Wait, doesn't your library allow you to access all of their collection online?  That way you can browse from home, then put a book on hold to pick up at the library closer to you?  Do not all libraries do this?  I can see the collection from our entire county online, then get an email alert when the book is at the closest library and ready to be picked up.  I can even do inter-library loans online...

Not only do most libraries do this, but many now have extensive E-book collections you can download (my local library uses an e-reader app called Zinio) to your mobile devices for free. And you'll never forget to return them on time because they just expire after a few weeks!

Anon in Alaska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3912 on: June 06, 2017, 02:46:56 AM »
Could not save $1.99 at the grocery store by downloading an e-coupon to my smart phone. I don't have a smart phone or a data package (saving at least $20 a month). I would still have liked to get the coupon discount too. (The coupon had a one item limit, so it wasn't worth getting a friend to come and download it to their phone.)
"Homines est! Dici omnes! Soylens viridis HOMINES EST!"

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3913 on: June 07, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »
Thoughtful colleague: "I've been sent a discount voucher for a spa day for up to four people. It's only 150 per person and it includes afternoon tea, two pampering treatments, and being able to spend the whole day there just relaxing. You and I could go, and pay for (two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) to come with us as a treat, and leave the boys to manage by themselves for the day."

Me: Splutter. Cough. Choke. "How about we just give (the two female employees who have gone beyond the call of duty) 150 each as a cash bonus that they can spend as they please or put towards their retirement fund?"

(Bless her, we've worked together for a very long time and my colleague still hasn't got her head round the fact that "being pampered" is my idea of torture, and keeps offering recommendations for beauticians and cosmetic ranges and spa retreats. I'm sure she's only trying to help.)

What is this word, spa? I feel like you're starting to a say a word and you're not finishing it. Spaghetti? Are you taking me to a spaghetti day?

What is your spaghetti policy?

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3914 on: June 07, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »
I gave myself permission to spend extra "fun money" this past weekend because it was my 40th birthday and I wanted to splash out. I sort of accidentally saved up room in my budget during May (I can't even help it any more!) and then people kept buying me birthday drinks and birthday meals, and then I got really sick so had to cancel two days of my Epic Birthday Fun Time, and in the end I came in under budget. Not under my "fun extra money" budget, but under my regular budget. :-/  Even though I dropped $65 on alcohol.

Maybe I should try again next weekend...
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3915 on: June 07, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
Maybe I should try again next weekend...

Yes, keep trying until you spend it all out.  ;)

Happy birthday, too.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3916 on: June 10, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
I picked a for me new species of edible mushroom today, Marasmius Oreades. About 8 pieces. But I wasn't sure how fast to cook them. They had to be cooked fast, but I din't want to eat them yet. Found out online that I should have cooked them immediately and could have eaten them later. It took too much time before I found out, so I had to ditch them to be on the safe side.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3917 on: June 10, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
I picked a for me new species of edible mushroom today, Marasmius Oreades. About 8 pieces. But I wasn't sure how fast to cook them. They had to be cooked fast, but I din't want to eat them yet. Found out online that I should have cooked them immediately and could have eaten them later. It took too much time before I found out, so I had to ditch them to be on the safe side.

Can you find more?  Now you know how quickly then need to be cooked.

My MPP:  We've switched to using a rewards card, buying a lot less in general, and buying almost nothing with cash.  I went to the ATM after a long hiatus and I couldn't remember my PIN.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #3918 on: June 10, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
I had to reduce the amount I salary sacrifice to my retirement account for my next 2 pay cycles as I'm getting paid for leave I didn't take and I have to be careful not to go over the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3919 on: June 12, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
I've recently had TWO experiences where people insisted on paying for my part of things, seemingly because they think they're in a better spot financially than me? Like "Oh, don't worry about it, I'll cover this drink, my treat."

Look, I'm not struggling, I want to pay for my own drink! Just because I have a small house, a family supported by one income, bike everywhere and shop at Goodwill, doesn't mean you need to buy me a drink. Those are the reasons I can easily afford to buy my own drinks!

In both cases I'm pretty sure I'm doing better financially: one friend makes about the same amount but is going to grad school, another has had some recent health setbacks. I shouldn't assume, though...

kelvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3920 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
I've recently had TWO experiences where people insisted on paying for my part of things, seemingly because they think they're in a better spot financially than me? Like "Oh, don't worry about it, I'll cover this drink, my treat."

Look, I'm not struggling, I want to pay for my own drink! Just because I have a small house, a family supported by one income, bike everywhere and shop at Goodwill, doesn't mean you need to buy me a drink. Those are the reasons I can easily afford to buy my own drinks!

In both cases I'm pretty sure I'm doing better financially: one friend makes about the same amount but is going to grad school, another has had some recent health setbacks. I shouldn't assume, though...

Bwhahahah

They probably think you're poorer than you are. It might be time to buy new shoes, or a shirt on sale that fits well, or something.

In the meantime, hey, free drinks!

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #3921 on: June 27, 2017, 03:08:57 AM »

Bwhahahah

They probably think you're poorer than you are. It might be time to buy new shoes, or a shirt on sale that fits well, or something.

Being mustachian does not mean you have to wear poorly maintained shoes. My last pair is about 3 years old and was re-soled last year because the rubber got damaged somehow (35 for new soles or 120 for the shoes so easy choice).
These shoes are also the easiest most relaxing pair to wear I've had in a long time. They're black leather so for 20 worth of paste/leather cream to clean and maintain and these shoes wil survive a few more years :)

Now, on to my problem: I've been in the hostpital at the beginning of this year, my insurance had a discount for a higher deductible but my stay maxed out that deductible (still, counting all years I did this I'm still in the plus). I was waiting for the invoice on it for about 6 months and thought It'd take a while so I put some money in my mortgage. In the meantime, they sent the invoice a day after as well as an invoice for my wife's dentistry (not covered).
Normally this is no issue but the combined cost had me logging in to the insurance company's site and asking for a payment plan -__- It's not that we can't cover all of that in one go (6k for the mortgage, 1.4k for the health insurance) but I'd rather keep some on hand for unexpected expenses. Fortunatly, the payment plan is only 2 months and with no additional cost ^__^
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

kelvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3922 on: June 27, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »

Bwhahahah

Being mustachian does not mean you have to wear poorly maintained shoes. My last pair is about 3 years old and was re-soled last year because the rubber got damaged somehow (35 for new soles or 120 for the shoes so easy choice).
These shoes are also the easiest most relaxing pair to wear I've had in a long time. They're black leather so for 20 worth of paste/leather cream to clean and maintain and these shoes will survive a few more years :)

My point was that it might be time for Merula to invest in a "status symbol" that would help defray the assumption of poverty. Which is kind of a losing proposition, as some people value cars, and others value watches, etc. Shoes and shirts were the first two that came to mind which a mustachian might consider a worthy investment.

You seem to have the shoes part down pat, Wauske. Some of my co-workers are just now catching on that cobblers are a thing. *shakes head*

justaguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3923 on: June 27, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
I find myself sitting in a lot of meetings that make me want to cry/scream.  What gets me through them is knowing that when I am the age of most of the other people in the room I wont have to sit in them anymore because Ill be FIRE! 

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #3924 on: June 27, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »

Bwhahahah

These shoes are also the easiest most relaxing pair to wear I've had in a long time. They're black leather so for 20 worth of paste/leather cream to clean and maintain and these shoes will survive a few more years :)

My point was that it might be time for Merula to invest in a "status symbol" that would help defray the assumption of poverty. Which is kind of a losing proposition, as some people value cars, and others value watches, etc. Shoes and shirts were the first two that came to mind which a mustachian might consider a worthy investment.

You seem to have the shoes part down pat, Wauske. Some of my co-workers are just now catching on that cobblers are a thing. *shakes head*

Well, any status symbol that would impress a non-mustachian would likely be un-mustachian by definition. And that's the rub, isn't it? We are mustachian specifically because our status symbol is the dot on the horizon for which we are scrimping and saving... Most people cannot properly conceive the long term goals which is also why most exit the stock markets at the lowest point and buy back in when it's high...

Regarding the shoes, yes. I had a discussion about that with DW too who is cheap rather than frugal. I did convince her that 35 for a repair (which, admittedly, can be short lived if the soles did take properly to the glue) is generally a better deal than 120 for a new pair of shoes with likely the same replacement cycle.
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3925 on: June 27, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »

Well, any status symbol that would impress a non-mustachian would likely be un-mustachian by definition. And that's the rub, isn't it? We are mustachian specifically because our status symbol is the dot on the horizon for which we are scrimping and saving... Most people cannot properly conceive the long term goals which is also why most exit the stock markets at the lowest point and buy back in when it's high...

Regarding the shoes, yes. I had a discussion about that with DW too who is cheap rather than frugal. I did convince her that 35 for a repair (which, admittedly, can be short lived if the soles did take properly to the glue) is generally a better deal than 120 for a new pair of shoes with likely the same replacement cycle.

I probably shouldn't buy new shoes. I have a drawer full at home AND a drawer full at work. (My husband complains about how many shoes I have and he doesn't even SEE the work drawer.) I could stand to pick up some new shirts, though. Well, not *actually* new, but Goodwill new-to-me.

I think the whole category of "buy it for life" is both mustachian and a potential status symbol. My watch would fall into this category, as would my work bag. Maybe I could get something else in this category? A new-to-me bike? Anyone have a suggestion for a fancy-looking hybrid or road bike that would be relatively affordable used and appropriate for someone with short legs?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:26:30 AM by merula »

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3926 on: June 27, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »

Bwhahahah

I can so relate, but with my father.  I recently took a leave of absence...phase one of early retirement...and my dad was surprised, but to his credit didn't question it or try to talk me out of it.  On Father's Day we had a small barbecue maybe 10 people, and my father kept trying to offer me cash to defray the costs of the food.  Now mind you my husband still works and has a military pension.  My father, on the other hand is in his late seventies, still working, few assets.  He is concerned that we can't afford a few hot dogs and hamburgers.  Wait until my husband leaves his job in a couple years; that will really throw him over the edge. 

I find it very amusing when non-mustachians worry over the finances of mustachians.  ; )

katrinajp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3927 on: June 27, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »
I can't take advantage of awesome sign-up bonus credit cards, because I will never spend the full required amount in three months

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3928 on: June 27, 2017, 11:01:53 AM »

I find it very amusing when non-mustachians worry over the finances of mustachians.  ; )

^^ I know, right?

I've mentioned this before: 

I had a high-income friend offer to buy me a car when he saw me driving my 15-year-old econo-wagon.  Friend was driving a lease at $600/month.  I paid $6000 total (cash) for my econo-ride 10 years prior. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:13:11 AM by nouveauRiche »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3929 on: June 27, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
My uncle ran into that for a while, back when he was in his late 20s.  My (frugal but sometimes clueless) grandma knew he had graduated college, but didn't know much about his career (he is an actuary).  She kept trying to throw money at him, thinking he needed it, since he gave off that vibe apparently.  Eventually he sat her down and said "I make plenty of money, I bought my house last year for cash.  I'm doing just fine."

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3930 on: June 27, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »

^^ I know, right?

I've mentioned this before: 

I had a high-income friend offer to buy me a car when he saw me driving my 15-year-old econo-wagon.  Friend was driving a lease at $600/month.  I paid $6000 total (cash) for my econo-ride 10 years prior.

This is great.  Someone asked my kid recently if we were poor when he found out we didn't have cable.  We are breaking cultural norms and freaking everyone out.  ; )

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3931 on: June 27, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
My uncle ran into that for a while, back when he was in his late 20s.  My (frugal but sometimes clueless) grandma knew he had graduated college, but didn't know much about his career (he is an actuary).  She kept trying to throw money at him, thinking he needed it, since he gave off that vibe apparently.  Eventually he sat her down and said "I make plenty of money, I bought my house last year for cash.  I'm doing just fine."

Ha!  I may have to have the same conversation soon...

kelvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3932 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
Merula I agree about BIFL being "status symbol" compliant. I don't skimp when it comes to bikes, and it has absolutely paid off. My coworkers talk about my bike more than they talk about their own cars (except the guys who drive vintage). (I ride an imported Batavus, which I do not recommend for anyone with short legs. It's lasted me longer than any car I've owned.)

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3933 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
This is great.  Someone asked my kid recently if we were poor when he found out we didn't have cable.  We are breaking cultural norms and freaking everyone out.  ; )

Good Lord. You should be reported to child protective services.

(Kidding, of course.)

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #3934 on: June 28, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »
Merula I agree about BIFL being "status symbol" compliant. I don't skimp when it comes to bikes, and it has absolutely paid off. My coworkers talk about my bike more than they talk about their own cars (except the guys who drive vintage). (I ride an imported Batavus, which I do not recommend for anyone with short legs. It's lasted me longer than any car I've owned.)
Cool, I drive one too though its not impprted for me. It is also one of the best bike brands, along with Gazelle.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3935 on: June 30, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »

A curious kid recently asked me why my phone was "so small".  (iPhone 4)

I'm not sure if he was assuming we were poor or he had genuinely never seen a phone that size before.  I told him it was an antique iPhone.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3936 on: June 30, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »

I'm not sure if he was assuming we were poor or he had genuinely never seen a phone that size before.  I told him it was an antique iPhone.
Gosh, it wasn't that long ago that the smaller the phone meant the more expensive it was.   I remember a motorola phone that looked the size (diameter, not width) of a Silver dollar when it was folded.  So funny how the size of things go in cycles too.
Remember Boom Boxes got bigger and bigger until the sony walkman came out?  Then everything got tiny until we got to earbuds.  Now the big earphone headsets are back in style. 
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3937 on: June 30, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »

Gosh, it wasn't that long ago that the smaller the phone meant the more expensive it was.   I remember a motorola phone that looked the size (diameter, not width) of a Silver dollar when it was folded.  So funny how the size of things go in cycles too.
Remember Boom Boxes got bigger and bigger until the sony walkman came out?  Then everything got tiny until we got to earbuds.  Now the big earphone headsets are back in style.

I can't remember whether it is better to have a green star or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_messages_of_Dr._Seuss#The_Sneetches
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

NorCal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3938 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
I work at a company that considers itself a "Mission Based Company".  They actively balance profit and growth goals against their ability to help people.  Any I'm close enough to the senior management to know it's more than idle words.  They truly believe it, and run the company in a way they think will best benefit our customers.

The challenge:

The company is a consumer finance company.  By "helping" people, we are giving customers access to credit that banks won't provide.  These are mostly people with limited credit history and incomes in the $30-$40K range.  Loans are typically 30%-35% interest + fees.  Everyone is expected to be passionate about helping the underbanked, and it's a constant source of discussion.

My MPP:  Not rolling my eyes when the CEO talks about how many people we've helped is incredibly hard.  Although not "believing" in the mission would probably be a fireable offense.  Sure, we're WAY better than payday lenders and title loan companies, but I would never consider loaning money at 30% to be "helping" someone.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3939 on: July 01, 2017, 01:41:01 AM »
I work at a company that considers itself a "Mission Based Company".  They actively balance profit and growth goals against their ability to help people.  Any I'm close enough to the senior management to know it's more than idle words.  They truly believe it, and run the company in a way they think will best benefit our customers.

The challenge:

The company is a consumer finance company.  By "helping" people, we are giving customers access to credit that banks won't provide.  These are mostly people with limited credit history and incomes in the $30-$40K range.  Loans are typically 30%-35% interest + fees.  Everyone is expected to be passionate about helping the underbanked, and it's a constant source of discussion.

My MPP:  Not rolling my eyes when the CEO talks about how many people we've helped is incredibly hard.  Although not "believing" in the mission would probably be a fireable offense.  Sure, we're WAY better than payday lenders and title loan companies, but I would never consider loaning money at 30% to be "helping" someone.

This is a fascinating MPP. Do you provide any budgeting advice with the loans? Could you? Do you ask about the purpose of the loans and reject them if someone believes they urgently need a trinket? Would you? Do you provide a savings service for the underbanked? [We have credit unions in the UK which are membership based savings organisations that provide reasonable loans.]

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3940 on: July 01, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »

also

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3941 on: July 01, 2017, 11:51:31 PM »
Dragoncar, that is fantastic. And true but I never realised it before.

I really miss tiny phones. I had one that would fit in that little coin pocket in jeans. I get that many people want bigger phones but don't see why they won't make any smaller, reasonably powerful phones (suggestions welcome if I am wrong). It's like they invented sliced bread and then stopped selling all other breads.

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #3942 on: July 02, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
MPP:

My husband and I had to spend some money on clothing at the thrift store because we've both lost so much weight (not eating out, not drinking much, cooking, and hiking/working out in the park) that our old clothes didn't fit anymore.

My neighbors would probably also complain about the increased frequency of...noise...coming from our place ;)

Also, had to purchase new contacts and went through this conversation:

Me: I'd like to buy a year's worth of contacts now.
Them: Are you sure? It's really expensive, you can buy just a few months at a time if you want.
Me: No, that's ok, a year is good.
Them: Well, it's $500, so if you want we could put you on a payment plan.
Me: Uh, that's ok. I'll just pay today. (I hand her my credit card)
Them: Ok, so how many cards will you be splitting this between?
Me: Just that one.
Them: The whole $500?

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! She FINALLY did it, but I honestly felt like she thought I didn't understand that it was a whole $500, and couldn't believe someone could just afford to pay for that.
I write about my weekly meal preps, saving money in the city while working, and my random thoughts/adventures: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/journey-to-the-center-of-the-'stache/

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #3943 on: July 02, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
MPP:

My husband and I had to spend some money on clothing at the thrift store because we've both lost so much weight (not eating out, not drinking much, cooking, and hiking/working out in the park) that our old clothes didn't fit anymore.

My neighbors would probably also complain about the increased frequency of...noise...coming from our place ;)

Them: Are you sure? It's really expensive, you can buy just a few months at a time if you want.

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! She FINALLY did it, but I honestly felt like she thought I didn't understand that it was a whole $500, and couldn't believe someone could just afford to pay for that.
Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3944 on: July 02, 2017, 03:29:12 PM »
I was offered a payment plan for a package of eyebrow waxes that cost about $230. I couldn't believe it!

Before you critique paying for eyebrow waxes, my eyebrows grow wild and that is one thing I dont trust doing myself. I'd probably end up looking like Spock from Star Trek if I tried it myself.

I think I've got the next 2 years of eyebrow waxing covered with that sale on the package of visits.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3945 on: July 02, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »
Dragoncar, that is fantastic. And true but I never realised it before.

I really miss tiny phones. I had one that would fit in that little coin pocket in jeans. I get that many people want bigger phones but don't see why they won't make any smaller, reasonably powerful phones (suggestions welcome if I am wrong). It's like they invented sliced bread and then stopped selling all other breads.

Exactly.

When people started reporting bent screens on the iPhone 6+ and it was discovered that carrying it in a pocket could bend it, I remember reading lots of comments saying, "Who would want to carry an iPhone in their back pocket?"

I do. I don't want to carry a bag everywhere, I like being able to leave the house with phone, my two front door keys, $20 and my keycard in the pockets of my jeans. This is why I won't buy an iPhone + a- my pockets aren't big enough. It's also a great way to deter my husband from wanting to put his big arse phone in my bag. "Can I put my ... oh."

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3946 on: July 02, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
MPP:

Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

I'm in awe that the contacts cost $500 a year. I've been spending about $100 a year at 1-800-contacts. I get over a month out of each contact.
I do understand some can't wear them as long as I do.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3947 on: July 02, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »
MPP:

I'm in awe that the contacts cost $500 a year. I've been spending about $100 a year at 1-800-contacts. I get over a month out of each contact.

Yeah, this price kind of surprises me as well.  R. Daneel Olivaw, do you have a special/weird prescription?  Weird astigmatism?  I just paid $252 for an 18-month supply of soft semi-monthlies back in October (1-800 Contacts), and my prescription is for correction of unusually strong nearsightedness.
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #3948 on: July 02, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
MPP:

Yeah, I used to pay about $100 a year for monthly or weekly contacts. Unfortunately when I moved to a highly polluted urban area those contacts started to really bother my eyes. Apparently this is a fairly common thing that happens here. Anyway, I had to switch to dailies, which massively increased my contact costs. It's so annoying that glasses are covered but contacts aren't...I mean, it's not exactly a boob job. I just don't like having something sitting on my face and behind my ears (plus having zero peripheral vision). Blah!

Edited to add: yeah I do have a weird astigmatism.
I write about my weekly meal preps, saving money in the city while working, and my random thoughts/adventures: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/journey-to-the-center-of-the-'stache/

neverrun

• Bristles
« Reply #3949 on: July 03, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
I update my HSA to Personal Capital manually on a quarterly basis.  I'm visiting family for the 4th and tried to do so today.  The company added security features now requires me to input the last 4 digits from my "attached debit card."  As I don't actually use the debit card it is sitting 3 hours away in a coffee mug with things such as my REI co-op card I never carry either since they can be looked up in the stores.  I won't be able to input my current account balance until Wednesday.