Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086804 times)

katrinajp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3900 on: June 27, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »
I can't take advantage of awesome sign-up bonus credit cards, because I will never spend the full required amount in three months

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3901 on: June 27, 2017, 11:01:53 AM »

I find it very amusing when non-mustachians worry over the finances of mustachians.  ; )

^^ I know, right?

I've mentioned this before: 

I had a high-income friend offer to buy me a car when he saw me driving my 15-year-old econo-wagon.  Friend was driving a lease at $600/month.  I paid $6000 total (cash) for my econo-ride 10 years prior. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:13:11 AM by nouveauRiche »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3902 on: June 27, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
My uncle ran into that for a while, back when he was in his late 20s.  My (frugal but sometimes clueless) grandma knew he had graduated college, but didn't know much about his career (he is an actuary).  She kept trying to throw money at him, thinking he needed it, since he gave off that vibe apparently.  Eventually he sat her down and said "I make plenty of money, I bought my house last year for cash.  I'm doing just fine."

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3903 on: June 27, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »

I find it very amusing when non-mustachians worry over the finances of mustachians.  ; )

^^ I know, right?

I've mentioned this before: 

I had a high-income friend offer to buy me a car when he saw me driving my 15-year-old econo-wagon.  Friend was driving a lease at $600/month.  I paid $6000 total (cash) for my econo-ride 10 years prior.

This is great.  Someone asked my kid recently if we were poor when he found out we didn't have cable.  We are breaking cultural norms and freaking everyone out.  ; )

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3904 on: June 27, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
My uncle ran into that for a while, back when he was in his late 20s.  My (frugal but sometimes clueless) grandma knew he had graduated college, but didn't know much about his career (he is an actuary).  She kept trying to throw money at him, thinking he needed it, since he gave off that vibe apparently.  Eventually he sat her down and said "I make plenty of money, I bought my house last year for cash.  I'm doing just fine."

Ha!  I may have to have the same conversation soon...

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #3905 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
Merula I agree about BIFL being "status symbol" compliant. I don't skimp when it comes to bikes, and it has absolutely paid off. My coworkers talk about my bike more than they talk about their own cars (except the guys who drive vintage). (I ride an imported Batavus, which I do not recommend for anyone with short legs. It's lasted me longer than any car I've owned.)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3906 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
This is great.  Someone asked my kid recently if we were poor when he found out we didn't have cable.  We are breaking cultural norms and freaking everyone out.  ; )

Good Lord. You should be reported to child protective services.

(Kidding, of course.)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3907 on: June 28, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »
Merula I agree about BIFL being "status symbol" compliant. I don't skimp when it comes to bikes, and it has absolutely paid off. My coworkers talk about my bike more than they talk about their own cars (except the guys who drive vintage). (I ride an imported Batavus, which I do not recommend for anyone with short legs. It's lasted me longer than any car I've owned.)
Cool, I drive one too though its not impprted for me. It is also one of the best bike brands, along with Gazelle.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3908 on: June 30, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »

A curious kid recently asked me why my phone was "so small".  (iPhone 4)

I'm not sure if he was assuming we were poor or he had genuinely never seen a phone that size before.  I told him it was an antique iPhone.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3909 on: June 30, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »

I'm not sure if he was assuming we were poor or he had genuinely never seen a phone that size before.  I told him it was an antique iPhone.
Gosh, it wasn't that long ago that the smaller the phone meant the more expensive it was.   I remember a motorola phone that looked the size (diameter, not width) of a Silver dollar when it was folded.  So funny how the size of things go in cycles too.
Remember Boom Boxes got bigger and bigger until the sony walkman came out?  Then everything got tiny until we got to earbuds.  Now the big earphone headsets are back in style. 

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3910 on: June 30, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »

Gosh, it wasn't that long ago that the smaller the phone meant the more expensive it was.   I remember a motorola phone that looked the size (diameter, not width) of a Silver dollar when it was folded.  So funny how the size of things go in cycles too.
Remember Boom Boxes got bigger and bigger until the sony walkman came out?  Then everything got tiny until we got to earbuds.  Now the big earphone headsets are back in style.

I can't remember whether it is better to have a green star or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_messages_of_Dr._Seuss#The_Sneetches

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3911 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
I work at a company that considers itself a "Mission Based Company".  They actively balance profit and growth goals against their ability to help people.  Any I'm close enough to the senior management to know it's more than idle words.  They truly believe it, and run the company in a way they think will best benefit our customers.

The challenge:

The company is a consumer finance company.  By "helping" people, we are giving customers access to credit that banks won't provide.  These are mostly people with limited credit history and incomes in the $30-$40K range.  Loans are typically 30%-35% interest + fees.  Everyone is expected to be passionate about helping the underbanked, and it's a constant source of discussion.

My MPP:  Not rolling my eyes when the CEO talks about how many people we've helped is incredibly hard.  Although not "believing" in the mission would probably be a fireable offense.  Sure, we're WAY better than payday lenders and title loan companies, but I would never consider loaning money at 30% to be "helping" someone.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3912 on: July 01, 2017, 01:41:01 AM »
I work at a company that considers itself a "Mission Based Company".  They actively balance profit and growth goals against their ability to help people.  Any I'm close enough to the senior management to know it's more than idle words.  They truly believe it, and run the company in a way they think will best benefit our customers.

The challenge:

The company is a consumer finance company.  By "helping" people, we are giving customers access to credit that banks won't provide.  These are mostly people with limited credit history and incomes in the $30-$40K range.  Loans are typically 30%-35% interest + fees.  Everyone is expected to be passionate about helping the underbanked, and it's a constant source of discussion.

My MPP:  Not rolling my eyes when the CEO talks about how many people we've helped is incredibly hard.  Although not "believing" in the mission would probably be a fireable offense.  Sure, we're WAY better than payday lenders and title loan companies, but I would never consider loaning money at 30% to be "helping" someone.

This is a fascinating MPP. Do you provide any budgeting advice with the loans? Could you? Do you ask about the purpose of the loans and reject them if someone believes they urgently need a trinket? Would you? Do you provide a savings service for the underbanked? [We have credit unions in the UK which are membership based savings organisations that provide reasonable loans.]

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3913 on: July 01, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »

also

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3914 on: July 01, 2017, 11:51:31 PM »
Dragoncar, that is fantastic. And true but I never realised it before.

I really miss tiny phones. I had one that would fit in that little coin pocket in jeans. I get that many people want bigger phones but don't see why they won't make any smaller, reasonably powerful phones (suggestions welcome if I am wrong). It's like they invented sliced bread and then stopped selling all other breads.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3915 on: July 02, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
MPP:

My husband and I had to spend some money on clothing at the thrift store because we've both lost so much weight (not eating out, not drinking much, cooking, and hiking/working out in the park) that our old clothes didn't fit anymore.

My neighbors would probably also complain about the increased frequency of...noise...coming from our place ;)

Also, had to purchase new contacts and went through this conversation:

Me: I'd like to buy a year's worth of contacts now.
Them: Are you sure? It's really expensive, you can buy just a few months at a time if you want.
Me: No, that's ok, a year is good.
Them: Well, it's $500, so if you want we could put you on a payment plan.
Me: Uh, that's ok. I'll just pay today. (I hand her my credit card)
Them: Ok, so how many cards will you be splitting this between?
Me: Just that one.
Them: The whole $500?

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! She FINALLY did it, but I honestly felt like she thought I didn't understand that it was a whole $500, and couldn't believe someone could just afford to pay for that.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #3916 on: July 02, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
MPP:

My husband and I had to spend some money on clothing at the thrift store because we've both lost so much weight (not eating out, not drinking much, cooking, and hiking/working out in the park) that our old clothes didn't fit anymore.

My neighbors would probably also complain about the increased frequency of...noise...coming from our place ;)

Them: Are you sure? It's really expensive, you can buy just a few months at a time if you want.

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! She FINALLY did it, but I honestly felt like she thought I didn't understand that it was a whole $500, and couldn't believe someone could just afford to pay for that.
Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3917 on: July 02, 2017, 03:29:12 PM »
I was offered a payment plan for a package of eyebrow waxes that cost about $230. I couldn't believe it!

Before you critique paying for eyebrow waxes, my eyebrows grow wild and that is one thing I dont trust doing myself. I'd probably end up looking like Spock from Star Trek if I tried it myself.

I think I've got the next 2 years of eyebrow waxing covered with that sale on the package of visits.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3918 on: July 02, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »

I really miss tiny phones. I had one that would fit in that little coin pocket in jeans. I get that many people want bigger phones but don't see why they won't make any smaller, reasonably powerful phones (suggestions welcome if I am wrong). It's like they invented sliced bread and then stopped selling all other breads.

Exactly.

When people started reporting bent screens on the iPhone 6+ and it was discovered that carrying it in a pocket could bend it, I remember reading lots of comments saying, "Who would want to carry an iPhone in their back pocket?"

I do. I don't want to carry a bag everywhere, I like being able to leave the house with phone, my two front door keys, $20 and my keycard in the pockets of my jeans. This is why I won't buy an iPhone + a- my pockets aren't big enough. It's also a great way to deter my husband from wanting to put his big arse phone in my bag. "Can I put my ... oh."

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3919 on: July 02, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
MPP:

Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

I'm in awe that the contacts cost $500 a year. I've been spending about $100 a year at 1-800-contacts. I get over a month out of each contact.
I do understand some can't wear them as long as I do.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3920 on: July 02, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »
MPP:

I'm in awe that the contacts cost $500 a year. I've been spending about $100 a year at 1-800-contacts. I get over a month out of each contact.

Yeah, this price kind of surprises me as well.  R. Daneel Olivaw, do you have a special/weird prescription?  Weird astigmatism?  I just paid $252 for an 18-month supply of soft semi-monthlies back in October (1-800 Contacts), and my prescription is for correction of unusually strong nearsightedness.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3921 on: July 02, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
MPP:

Yeah, I used to pay about $100 a year for monthly or weekly contacts. Unfortunately when I moved to a highly polluted urban area those contacts started to really bother my eyes. Apparently this is a fairly common thing that happens here. Anyway, I had to switch to dailies, which massively increased my contact costs. It's so annoying that glasses are covered but contacts aren't...I mean, it's not exactly a boob job. I just don't like having something sitting on my face and behind my ears (plus having zero peripheral vision). Blah!

Edited to add: yeah I do have a weird astigmatism.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3922 on: July 03, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
I update my HSA to Personal Capital manually on a quarterly basis.  I'm visiting family for the 4th and tried to do so today.  The company added security features now requires me to input the last 4 digits from my "attached debit card."  As I don't actually use the debit card it is sitting 3 hours away in a coffee mug with things such as my REI co-op card I never carry either since they can be looked up in the stores.  I won't be able to input my current account balance until Wednesday. 

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3923 on: July 03, 2017, 07:36:44 AM »

I've seen people use an EBT card, a couple credit cards, AND cash to checkout at Wal-Mart before..

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #3924 on: July 04, 2017, 02:11:32 AM »

I've seen people use an EBT card, a couple credit cards, AND cash to checkout at Wal-Mart before..

Insane

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3925 on: July 04, 2017, 06:47:26 AM »

The challenge:

This is a fascinating MPP. Do you provide any budgeting advice with the loans? Could you? Do you ask about the purpose of the loans and reject them if someone believes they urgently need a trinket? Would you? Do you provide a savings service for the underbanked? [We have credit unions in the UK which are membership based savings organisations that provide reasonable loans.]

None of the above.  Fair Lending laws pretty much force us (in practice, if not in actual words) to remove subjective inputs from the loan decision process.  Either the algorithm approves the loan or not.  We do deny loans for LOTS of people that can't actually afford it.  We would like to offer a savings product someday, but that would require us to become a bank.  We're not ready to meet the regulatory hurdles for that.

This is the biggest cognitive disconnect I've ever confronted.  Not only am I a natural saver, I am one of those mustachian's that is particularly debt averse.  I may not even buy a house until I can afford it outright.  Yet our CEO is always reading customer stories that are a combination of sad and heartwarming.  Things like people using loans to pay for adoptions, or a security deposit for an actual roof over their head.  Others include loans to help family members migrate to the US, pay for medical expenses, or open small businesses.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3926 on: July 04, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »
We would like to offer a savings product someday, but that would require us to become a bank.  We're not ready to meet the regulatory hurdles for that.

I get why this is but it seems kinda wrong to me. I would like to think that a company would need to show more restraint and control to responsibly lend than be the custodian for deposits.  Obviously, if there are irresponsible companies out there I'd prefer that they lent me money than took my money, but irresponsible lending does a lot of damage.

I didn't realise your Fair Lending laws worked like that - thanks. Ours seem to be slightly different, lenders can choose not to loan for certain purposes, even if the repayments are affordable. Having said that, they don't check (or I think, have a legal ability to check) that you used the loan for the purpose you stated. It's interesting that your laws force you to treat a loan for a holiday in the same way as a security deposit on (say) a lower priced home or to avoid homelessness.

Does it help to think of the next best alternative for these unbanked people? I'm guessing that dealing with your company is a whole lot more pleasant than dealing with an informal lender brandishing a crowbar?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3927 on: July 04, 2017, 09:14:58 AM »
Now I have a problem. I made an add on the Norwegian version of Graig's list for some lingerie that was laying unused (ever) in my closet. I put it on a flat surface and took pictures. Now I got an sms asking me to put it on a clothing doll so that a potential could see better what it looked like. Now there is a reason I am selling this and that is that I don't wear it. It doesn't even fit. But I do want to sell it. So I will have to put it onto muself, looking like a sausage in this thing, or improvise with using a sleeping bag in it's pouch or sometinhing similar. Quite a bit of extra work to get something sold. And I put in a low price, as I saw similar lingerie on discount for sale for that price.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3928 on: July 04, 2017, 09:30:10 AM »
Now I have a problem. I made an add on the Norwegian version of Graig's list for some lingerie that was laying unused (ever) in my closet. I put it on a flat surface and took pictures. Now I got an sms asking me to put it on a clothing doll so that a potential could see better what it looked like. Now there is a reason I am selling this and that is that I don't wear it. It doesn't even fit. But I do want to sell it. So I will have to put it onto muself, looking like a sausage in this thing, or improvise with using a sleeping bag in it's pouch or sometinhing similar. Quite a bit of extra work to get something sold. And I put in a low price, as I saw similar lingerie on discount for sale for that price.

No - don't put it on. I suspect the sender just wants some free pics of a lady in lingerie! This sound suspicious to me.

jordanread

« Reply #3929 on: July 04, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »

No - don't put it on. I suspect the sender just wants some free pics of a lady in lingerie! This sound suspicious to me.

I was thinking the same thing. The sizes from the tags should be enough to determine fit.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3930 on: July 04, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »
We would like to offer a savings product someday, but that would require us to become a bank.  We're not ready to meet the regulatory hurdles for that.

I get why this is but it seems kinda wrong to me. I would like to think that a company would need to show more restraint and control to responsibly lend than be the custodian for deposits.  Obviously, if there are irresponsible companies out there I'd prefer that they lent me money than took my money, but irresponsible lending does a lot of damage.

I didn't realise your Fair Lending laws worked like that - thanks. Ours seem to be slightly different, lenders can choose not to loan for certain purposes, even if the repayments are affordable. Having said that, they don't check (or I think, have a legal ability to check) that you used the loan for the purpose you stated. It's interesting that your laws force you to treat a loan for a holiday in the same way as a security deposit on (say) a lower priced home or to avoid homelessness.

Does it help to think of the next best alternative for these unbanked people? I'm guessing that dealing with your company is a whole lot more pleasant than dealing with an informal lender brandishing a crowbar?

Yea, financial services is a weird industry.  The simple story is that a company that lends irresponsibly will blow itself up.  A company that lends irresponsibly and has retail deposits will blow itself up, AND require a taxpayer funded bailout. 

I do feel good about being a good actor in a bad industry.  But I still hate that there is a demand for loans at 30%+ interest.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3931 on: July 04, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. The sizes from the tags should be enough to determine fit.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Even two bras from the same company that are the same size sometimes fit differently because of the way they are shaped.

Do you have a friend with a sewing dress form/sewing dummy?  That would be close to the SMS request of a mannequin.  If you do use yourself as a model, I'm sure you know not to include your face in the pic and to consider wearing a thin shirt/bike shorts underneath.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #3932 on: July 04, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »

Yes, this. Pretty much guaranteed the person will not buy the lingerie and will instead just keep the picture. You could always send the person a link to a similar style on the company's website.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3933 on: July 04, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
Self imposed hermit for 12 days while my family is out of town. My goal is to drive as little as possible, spend as little as possible (1 grocery trip IF I run out of food), and overall be the antithesis to any overspending that the family is doing while out of town.

Well today was pretty boring and lonely. Didn't want to drive, or pay to hang out at a coffee shop. So I walked to the dog park, but no one was there because people all have better things to do on the 4th. Human interaction FAIL.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3934 on: July 05, 2017, 02:44:06 AM »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Even two bras from the same company that are the same size sometimes fit differently because of the way they are shaped.

Do you have a friend with a sewing dress form/sewing dummy?  That would be close to the SMS request of a mannequin.  If you do use yourself as a model, I'm sure you know not to include your face in the pic and to consider wearing a thin shirt/bike shorts underneath.

I managed to fit into it. Took a picture with the auto-trigger. But as it had autofocus and I had to push the button while I was standing close, it isn't very sharp. Then I cut out the picture, only showing the corset and that part of my body. Not my head and not my wider hips under it. It wasn't too revealing. I didn't put on the g-string, which would have been too uncomfortable.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3935 on: July 05, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
The sizes from the tags should be enough to determine fit.

Tell that to that size 36 that was smaller then the 32 I was wearing last time I needed trousers.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3936 on: July 05, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »

Yes, this. Pretty much guaranteed the person will not buy the lingerie and will instead just keep the picture. You could always send the person a link to a similar style on the company's website.

You were both right and not. I still think the person who asked for a picture on a body was a girl. She asked to put it on a clothing manequin, which I don't have. But today I also received the first personal message from a guy named Karim who wrote me that my body looked very pretty under that corset, if it was my own body on that picture. So I have now removed the picture that doesn't show my head, but shows my cleavage.

It obviously takes a man to think like a man...

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3937 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »

You were both right and not. I still think the person who asked for a picture on a body was a girl. She asked to put it on a clothing manequin, which I don't have. But today I also received the first personal message from a guy named Karim who wrote me that my body looked very pretty under that corset, if it was my own body on that picture. So I have now removed the picture that doesn't show my head, but shows my cleavage.

I'm not a man, but a suspicious woman in the US. Lots of skeevy guys online here... (and non-skeevy, but no need to worry about them0

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3938 on: July 05, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »
I don't even like the frugalwoods. I just signed up for Uber Frugal July to participate with this community. But now it doesn't seem right to talk about how useless these frugal tips are for us.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #3939 on: July 05, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »

I'm not a man, but a suspicious woman in the US. Lots of skeevy guys online here... (and non-skeevy, but no need to worry about them0
I'm also not a man. Craigslist is full of scammers even when the posting *doesn't* involve lingerie..can't imagine what weirdos would come out of the woodwork here for a photo!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3940 on: July 05, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »
One of my friends on Facebook "liked" an article on tips to save more in your retirement accounts. The article is generally correct but includes the nonsense (for serious savers, at least) about needing 80% of your income in retirement. I'm happy that he is thinking about his retirement accounts but wish I could tell him he could be even more aggressive with saving...

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #3941 on: July 05, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
I don't even like the frugalwoods. I just signed up for Uber Frugal July to participate with this community. But now it doesn't seem right to talk about how useless these frugal tips are for us.

I'm curious what you dislike about Frugalwoods?  The UFM challenge is my first experience with them, but so far I like what I see. Yes, their tips are redundant for us who've read MMM, but I like seeing a young family living their frugality day-to-day. They also seem to attract a more "mainstream" crowd, so I've enjoyed reading the comments and watching people realize they can live well without eating out 3x/week.

Plus, unlike MMM, they don't seem to be basically professional carpenters. When I read a post about a project they've done on their own, I actually feel like I can do it too.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3942 on: July 05, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »

I'm curious what you dislike about Frugalwoods?  The UFM challenge is my first experience with them, but so far I like what I see. Yes, their tips are redundant for us who've read MMM, but I like seeing a young family living their frugality day-to-day. They also seem to attract a more "mainstream" crowd, so I've enjoyed reading the comments and watching people realize they can live well without eating out 3x/week.

Plus, unlike MMM, they don't seem to be basically professional carpenters. When I read a post about a project they've done on their own, I actually feel like I can do it too.

Nothing specific, really, I just haven't enjoyed the writing.

Obviously, I signed up for the challenge because there are things I need to change, and this makes me focus daily. And it does, just not enough food for thought to share on our thread.

JayhawkRacer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3943 on: July 05, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »

Exactly.

When people started reporting bent screens on the iPhone 6+ and it was discovered that carrying it in a pocket could bend it, I remember reading lots of comments saying, "Who would want to carry an iPhone in their back pocket?"

I do. I don't want to carry a bag everywhere, I like being able to leave the house with phone, my two front door keys, $20 and my keycard in the pockets of my jeans. This is why I won't buy an iPhone + a- my pockets aren't big enough. It's also a great way to deter my husband from wanting to put his big arse phone in my bag. "Can I put my ... oh."

I feel like the iPhone 5 hit the size just right for me. It's enough screen to enjoy media on the go, but it's small enough to one-hand and still feel secure about not dropping it. I'm now on the SE, which is basically a 6S in a 5 form factor. I'm hoping they come out with the same size version of the 7 or 8 (or 7s if they decide to call it that) so I can upgrade and get a better camera. In a couple years when they're cheap on craigslist, of course!

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #3944 on: July 05, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »

Nothing specific, really, I just haven't enjoyed the writing.

Obviously, I signed up for the challenge because there are things I need to change, and this makes me focus daily. And it does, just not enough food for thought to share on our thread.

Yeah, I can see it not being super-motivating. MMM is a huge slap in the face - in a good way - that makes you change your life in big ways (at least for me). Frugalwoods is more just strongly hinting you should change. And I definitely agree the writing isn't as compelling.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3945 on: July 05, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »

They are a nice couple and their blog is just fine.  Useful info presented in a professional and honest manner.
Anyone interested in the topic will find good info there.

I simply can't stand the "cutesy" aspects of the site.   It sets off my gag reflex. 

That's my pure personal taste, I need not justify that, nor does anyone need to get upset about it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3946 on: July 05, 2017, 06:20:14 PM »

I was 3rd or 4th in line (not at Walmart) when a guy that had two carts of food products, told the checker to stop and total, he paid with an EBT card. The checker continued checking and again he said stop, he paid with a second EBT card. Again she continued and he used a third EBT card.
 He had two gallons of milk in the cart that he ask to be put back on the shelf and then
paid cash for two 12 packs of beer.
 You might imaging the conversation in the line discussing the situation, while I was looking around thinking it was a setup for a TV show.
 I don't know if it is legal to have three EBT cards, I don't know if it is legal to use another persons EBT card with permission,  I do know I think something was wrong with the situation.
  The real kicker was when he had the milk put back and bought the beer.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3947 on: July 05, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »

The challenge:

None of the above.  Fair Lending laws pretty much force us (in practice, if not in actual words) to remove subjective inputs from the loan decision process.  Either the algorithm approves the loan or not.  We do deny loans for LOTS of people that can't actually afford it.  We would like to offer a savings product someday, but that would require us to become a bank.  We're not ready to meet the regulatory hurdles for that.

This is the biggest cognitive disconnect I've ever confronted.  Not only am I a natural saver, I am one of those mustachian's that is particularly debt averse.  I may not even buy a house until I can afford it outright.  Yet our CEO is always reading customer stories that are a combination of sad and heartwarming.  Things like people using loans to pay for adoptions, or a security deposit for an actual roof over their head.  Others include loans to help family members migrate to the US, pay for medical expenses, or open small businesses.

I understand unexpected expenses come up, most you listed aren't. How is it the borrower can afford the 'expense', plus 30% interest, plus fees, but not afford to just save the money, and then save the 30% interest, plus fees?
 The comment is rhetorical, but how come WE all see this so clearly and the borrower just blindly charges forward?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3948 on: July 05, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »

The challenge:

I understand unexpected expenses come up, most you listed aren't. How is it the borrower can afford the 'expense', plus 30% interest, plus fees, but not afford to just save the money, and then save the 30% interest, plus fees?
 The comment is rhetorical, but how come WE all see this so clearly and the borrower just blindly charges forward?

Let's say someone like this manages to save up some money for any purpose. Then, an emergency comes along and they spend it, but not for what they were saving for. Or a community member has an emergency, and you help out, because that is how it is done in your community. Most of us on MMM know how hard it is to buck societal expectations, but bucking community duties is even harder. So, you sacrificed, now that tiny fund is gone and you have to sacrifice some more. One can see how the why bother mentality can take over.

On the other hand, once you have the loan, the money you sacrifice for is going to its intended purpose. Even with the outrageous interest, the mentality around it is completely different.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3949 on: July 05, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »

I was 3rd or 4th in line (not at Walmart) when a guy that had two carts of food products, told the checker to stop and total, he paid with an EBT card. The checker continued checking and again he said stop, he paid with a second EBT card. Again she continued and he used a third EBT card.
 He had two gallons of milk in the cart that he ask to be put back on the shelf and then
paid cash for two 12 packs of beer.
 You might imaging the conversation in the line discussing the situation, while I was looking around thinking it was a setup for a TV show.
 I don't know if it is legal to have three EBT cards, I don't know if it is legal to use another persons EBT card with permission,  I do know I think something was wrong with the situation.
  The real kicker was when he had the milk put back and bought the beer.

He could be buying groceries for the whole family.  I know of one family 3-4 unmarried adults who live together so they don't have to live in the inner city.  Each has their own EBT card as they are siblings living with their parents.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!