Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086887 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #400 on: August 25, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »
Spiderwebs on the car door.
I actually used pesticide for a few of the crevices where the creatures like to nestle on my car.
I dont think you have to do this to the poor creatures.
We seem to have a ever-changing population of spiders in the side mirrors, so either they die fast or go away (or fly away when you drive) or get eaten by another spider fairly often. 

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: August 25, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
We seem to have a ever-changing population of spiders in the side mirrors, so either they die fast or go away (or fly away when you drive) or get eaten by another spider fairly often.

Same here!  One spider hung around for almost a month in the side mirror.  It's kinda fascinating who will turn up :)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #402 on: August 25, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »
My car battery died once from lack of use. 

I have to drive enough so that doesn't happen!  Once a week seems to do the trick.  Or look into a battery charger.

I had this happen in March.  I had misplaced the keys so I didn't drive the car for about three months.

esrun94

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #403 on: August 25, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
I can't take advantage of high interest checking accounts because I don't make enough purchases.

I used to have this problem, but then I started sending multiple $0.50 Amazon eGift cards to myself every month with my debit card.

Great idea!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #404 on: August 25, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
Spiderwebs on the car door.
I actually used pesticide for a few of the crevices where the creatures like to nestle on my car.
I dont think you have to do this to the poor creatures.

I considered not using pesticides as I'm becoming the kind of person who doesn't want to kill even an insect. However, I also considered the possibility of spiders crawling on me while I'm driving, panicking and killing myself and others in a car wreck. They'll probably die in the car wash anyway.

But thanks for bringing that up. I'd been debating it for weeks.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: August 25, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »

Same here!  One spider hung around for almost a month in the side mirror.  It's kinda fascinating who will turn up :)
I think they hold out longer here, but maybe because I never drive fast ;) Last year we had the record: It seemed to be one spider holding out for most of spring and summer. Have seen her 3 or 4 times. One day I would drive, the net flying away, the next it would be back. Very productive little thing. I cleaned the mirror a dozen times and even more often just ignored it (the nets sometimes survived the "slow" in-town driving).

@C.K.
1) It is very unlikely a mirror spider will get into your car. If it stands, you have the windows closed. If you are driving and have them open for air, the spider would not come out I think (or just blown away). It must feel the heavy vibrations and think its storm, dont leave the home. (Well, the one I mentioned above came out once while driving outside town, but as I said, it was a really tough little one. Have seen such a thing only once, and it didnt leave the mirror inside.)
It should happen more that a spider cames from down of your car, where it is open, to the inside, and how often do you have that?
= no reason to go heavy on mirror spiders

2) If you are so fearful of spiders, do the mustachian think, look the fear into the eyes and punch it on the nose!
You can use a pro, or insource it and train yourself ;) If you see a big spider the next time, look at it. Feal the fear and also see that it does not jump on you to bite you. Wait until the fear goes down a bit. Take a step closer. Do you see the spider? I mean, do you really see it? Her long legs (yuck)? The body? Watch it closely. Watch your fear, see that nothign happens, watch the fear slowly go down.
And so on. After doing this a few times, after a few month, you are probably able to touch its legs.

I was fearful of spiders as a kid, now I can take them on a hand and release them into the wild. It is not that I like that, and frankly I do it more because I dont want a smashed spider then because I have such a big heart for little creatures, but I think for the spider it doesnt make a difference ;) For me, it does. Fear is a good warner, but a bad advisor and even worse ruler.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #406 on: August 25, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
LennStar, I don't have mirror spiders. The poster named "step-in-time" above accidentally wrote their thoughts under my quote marks.

My spider webs are between the door and the inside of the car. Also on the door. The rubber should keep them at bay, but who knows?

Thanks for the fear advice. I'm not afraid of spiders in general, I just don't want to deal with them all of a sudden while driving down the highway.

I need to wash my car more often.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #407 on: August 25, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
Got my 960-sq-ft house up for sale. When potential buyers ask me why I'm selling, I tell the truth -- "It's too big." They assume I have something to hide about the house, because that can't be the real reason.

Also, +1 on the not getting to complete surveys because I don't buy enough of the things on the list, or watch any of the shows.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #408 on: August 25, 2014, 06:41:46 PM »
New problem:  I'm running out of plastic bags to collect all of my garden veggies in.  Need to find a more durable vegetable transportation device.

Me too.  I just dont buy enough groceries in sacks anymore - so lately I've been asking the local grocer for those flats that sodas/beer come in.  Nice that they stack well and don't smash the veggies.
However the guy who works at the store is getting suspicious - I mean, how many flats does the crazy lady need?  What is she really up to?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #409 on: August 25, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
I have to call companies to stop sending me credit card and bank account offers. Aren't they smart enough to realize they won't make interest off me? Apparently not.

Jane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »
Neither my husband and I are big movie buffs.  When we do go to the theater, we do the first matinee in the morning.  We haven't been yet this year but we probably will in November when the new Hunger Games movie comes out (SHUT UP I LIKE IT).  My rule of thumb is to see movies that will look awesome on a big screen.  And no, you're not the only one who's sick of the comic book movies--and the endless reboots of said comic book movies.  Damn, how many Batman movies does the world need?

I live between two lovely parks, and the larger of the two does movie nights in the summer.  A couple of months ago it showed The Blues Brothers.  TONS of people showed up and we all had a great time.  You can't beat free fun!

"My rule of thumb is to see movies that will look awesome on a big screen."
I actually have two rules. You just stated my first rule. I actually refuse to see comedies in theaters. Action movies or movies with a lot of special effects are the only type I will see.

Rule #2: I only go if I have a gift card (my parents constantly give them to us for Christmas even though we never ask for them and then I use to rewards from my credit card).

My SO wishes we would go more often. But every time we go, I'm reminded why I hate theaters. I try and make sure we go after the movie has been out for multiple weeks so there are less people. The times we have gone earlier have made me want to rip my hair out. I much rather enjoy a movie from the comfort of my home with less distractions.

We have a matinee movie date scheduled for the Hunger Games too :). Going to a movie is about a once a year event for us. My favorite way to see a movie is to grab an inexpensive breakfast out then see an early movie around 10 or 11 am. We also only go if we have gift cards, which somehow we keep accumulating through family or work. The problem for us is finding a movie that we even want to take the time to go to use these gift cards.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
Trying to figure out meals for the next three days (before we go on vacation) that will use up the three  free heads of lettuce that I scored yesterday.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:44:07 AM by 2ndTimer »

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
Trying to figure out meals for the next three days (before we go on vacation) that will use up the three heads of lettuce that I scored yesterday.

not sure what kind of lettuce you have but we tried this recently and loved it:
http://www.deliciouseveryday.com/lettuce-spring-onion-cheese-tart/

(sounds odd, i appreciate but it is yummy!)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
I haven't seen a movie on the big screen since Saving Private Ryan.  It was awesome.  I love movies and find the big screen an enhancement.   Maybe when I FIRE I'll do more movies at matinee time.

The best is - a big screen in the wonderful outdoors with a great soundsystem, being able to bring my food, ride my bike there, and FREE! I'm hooked now and feel it would be painful to pay for movies now.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
New problem:  I'm running out of plastic bags to collect all of my garden veggies in.  Need to find a more durable vegetable transportation device.

Me too.  I just dont buy enough groceries in sacks anymore - so lately I've been asking the local grocer for those flats that sodas/beer come in.  Nice that they stack well and don't smash the veggies.
However the guy who works at the store is getting suspicious - I mean, how many flats does the crazy lady need?  What is she really up to?

Where are you storing the veggies?  I've been using flat boxes for stuff like squash and tomatoes, but prefer plastic bags to keep humidity in for things like carrots (they'll go into a root cellar situation when it's cool enough), green beans, okra etc. that I keep in the fridge.  I'm not out of plastic bags yet because DH keeps bringing them in with his junk food buys, but I've definitely stopped taking spares to recycle.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: August 27, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »
We still have drive ins around here, in fact Wal-Mart killed the mall with the multi screen theater, so the drive ins or the historic theatre are the only big screens around < 25 miles away. 

Watching movies in a theater isn't as much fun as watching a library DVD at home.  Time to travel to the burbs, fake popcorn instead of our homemade, no comfy couch to lounge on, no discussions with the family as we go along... Actually, my biggest disappointment with movies in theaters is NO CAPTIONING.  I always keep captioning on at home, for that inevitable "wait, what did they say?  I didn't catch that line."  I'm perfectly happy waiting for movies to come out on DVD and borrowing them from the library.  Or watching Frozen again this summer in the Park, where all the kiddies sang along.  Well, except for 15yo DS4 - he was shushing 18 yo DD3, until all the others joined in!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »
A Mustachian problem that my boyfriend has: He's not allowed to participate in Casual Friday at his office because all his jeans are too beat up, and he has no interest in buying new ones.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: August 29, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
I wanted popcorn yesterday but had to eat the four free artichokes I had in the refrigerator so I could have the bottoms for our omelets this morning.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »
A Mustachian problem that my boyfriend has: He's not allowed to participate in Casual Friday at his office because all his jeans are too beat up, and he has no interest in buying new ones.

LOL, that's awesome.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #419 on: August 29, 2014, 09:54:24 AM »
I am annoyed my pay at work is monthly, not because of problems with running out of money like many of my coworkers, but because I only get the rush of putting more money in investments once a month. :(

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: August 30, 2014, 03:49:36 AM »

Watching movies in a theater isn't as much fun as watching a library DVD at home.  Time to travel to the burbs, fake popcorn instead of our homemade, no comfy couch to lounge on, no discussions with the family as we go along...

Yes! Also you can pause the film at home if you need to use the loo or to go and get a drink.:)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
This lack of empathy does not effect my friends, neighbors, coworkers, only me, so it is my people problem. ...
[paragraph reduction:] ...hiding... fend off... gets pretty isolating.  I find I can't be happy...

...causing a guardedness, a jadedness, a lack of joy and optimism in my day to day encounters.  I just put my head down, keep going to work, and keep planning for the future.  I have such a fantastic relationship with my husband, but a lack social connection to anyone else here.  Sometimes I really wish I were not such a misfit, but I would not choose to be what I see around me, not for anything.  One day, maybe I can conquer the judgement.

Sorry this is not 'fun'.
Mustachian people problems: The red pill is just not 'fun'. You can't divorce only the parts of a society that don't work for you.

Does this judgement need to be conquered, exactly? This is what it looks like to show awareness, the results of contemplation. This is not callous prejudice, this is frustration with a self-reinforcing culture cycling waste and want and misery. From the language in this post, it's often not that we don't have empathy - we needn't care about the issue after our own progression if we don't care about the people it affects on some level; it's just that they're too far gone to bond with.

I get this. When we have a society profiting on human discontent we are all injured by it, even when we've opted out. Rebel against a dominant social convention which harms people and you not only deal with well-intentioned arguments for drinking poison but the essential invisibility of anyone else who doesn't want to because we all have to duck our heads to avoid a scene, as the status quo defends itself. The people around us, some of whom we might care for quite a bit, are choosing a grayer, shabbier, more dismal reality on the daily; as with any challenge to the authority of convention, it is completely natural to want to retreat into a safe sane space.

There are seeds of power in the tendency to co-humanism at the root of this. How to deal with compassion in a broken world? In the Western tradition you fight for change, hopefully with a dose of awareness of your Circles of Control. In the Eastern tradition you learn to be impartial - you sigh not so, but let them go, and be you blithe and bonny... like this thread. There are times it's better to laugh than cry, and especially in a context when you can laugh together.

My mustachian problem is that there are so many different levels of progress on this forum it's hard to find those in my own same boat right now; a form of hedonic adaptation, that it used to be a relief just to have the subculture and now I want a sub-sub-subchapter devoted to "hair fires only recently extinguished" experiences.

This is an amazing post. Thank you for writing it. I've noticed it's particularly hard to sigh not so and let them go when it's someone you love, and you want them to love you, but the clashes keep getting in the way (ie family) ... But there's got to be a way, right?

Anyway I'm in the same boat as you, too, FWIW :)

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #422 on: August 30, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
I set up scheduled automatic purchases in a Vanguard index fund about a year ago because I had just a little bit of extra cash at the end of every month. It was a classic set it and forget it "free money" scenario. 

Recently, I logged into the account because I've been getting a lot of transaction notices for this monthly purchase.  Figuring that I must have actually set up bi-weekly transactions, I was patting myself on the back as I logged into the account for being so smart and saving twice as much as I thought.

That's when I learned that I had, in fact, set up weekly purchases and I've been saving more than 4 times as much "spare change" as I thought I was, and I didn't even notice.

Oops.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #423 on: August 30, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »
I set up scheduled automatic purchases in a Vanguard index fund about a year ago because I had just a little bit of extra cash at the end of every month. It was a classic set it and forget it "free money" scenario. 

Recently, I logged into the account because I've been getting a lot of transaction notices for this monthly purchase.  Figuring that I must have actually set up bi-weekly transactions, I was patting myself on the back as I logged into the account for being so smart and saving twice as much as I thought.

That's when I learned that I had, in fact, set up weekly purchases and I've been saving more than 4 times as much "spare change" as I thought I was, and I didn't even notice.

Oops.
Hahahaha that's awesome. *High five*

Out of curiosity, did you set up automatic purchases from your checking? Or did you direct deposit to Vanguard?

One of my favorite features Vanguard provides is direct deposit of paychecks. My employer allows me to split my paycheck across up to three bank accounts. I put a fixed small amount of spending money into my checking, and then deposit the rest (if available, and in a normal pay cycle I have plenty left over) into Vanguard (my employer sees this as a checking account with Wells Fargo). This helps me sleep well at night, because I have a fear that an automatic purchase from my checking might overdraft my account (I only keep like $450 in there, and perhaps I made a big purchase and just haven't replenished the checking account yet). Also, I am paid hourly, so I don't want to have to deal with having an automatic draft draw too much because I didn't work the typical hours in some week. By having Vanguard take the money from the source, there's no risk of an overdraft on my checking account.

Lengthy explanation, but I like to rave about the direct deposit service whenever I can =)

1tolivesimply

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #424 on: August 30, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
I reserved an economy rental car for a (long drive) business trip.

When I went to pick up the car, all they had was an SUV so they "did me a favor" and I "got upgraded like 3 levels" to the SUV for free.

This has also happened to me, they give me a weird look when I ask them if, by any chance, they have received any economy ones so I can switch.

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #425 on: August 31, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
Out of curiosity, did you set up automatic purchases from your checking? Or did you direct deposit to Vanguard?
Lengthy explanation, but I like to rave about the direct deposit service whenever I can =)

Not an option here but, coincidentally, I'll be starting a new job at the end of the month (with a significant pay increase) and I will definitely look into the direct deposit option since I will have a great deal more "spare change" to save.

Thanks for the suggestion, johnny847!

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: August 31, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »
... I've noticed it's particularly hard to sigh not so and let them go when it's someone you love, and you want them to love you, but the clashes keep getting in the way (ie family) ... But there's got to be a way, right? ...
D'aw. Thanks. I went tearing through your blog and site after this and I'm right on board with what you're saying. But - yeah, it can be crazymaking, especially family - I definitely am watching my parents and other relations suffer due to an unwillingness to accept even the possibility of positive results of effort because they didn't succeed as wildly as their WWII generation parents, and I can't be honest about my own incredible progress or they'll 1. chalk it derisively up to luck and 2. expect me to share my 'good fortune' with them, all the while spending 4x my whole grocery budget just on luxury snack food for two people. Nothing I can do - I've given the first third of my life in trying to save them, and it's time to learn not to let it eat me from the inside anymore that they're imposing suffering on themselves in diverse ways. Eastern approach. Impartial compassion, from a bit of a distance.

I'm working on my sibling, though. Not so grown or set in their ways - still too young to have gotten over the rush of HAVING money to spend, though. With this one I'm trying to lead by quiet example and I'll make inquiries once in a while; we talked over it once and I was able to impress the reality of the possibility without creating urgency. I led them to water, and they will decide whether to drink. This was more similar to how I deal with a few more-trusted friends - I suspect very often that these people have the capacity in them and have just never been shown a path exists. The trick is not being disappointed when they don't walk down it. Someday when I hit FI and optionally RE I might take the Western approach in creating an organization dedicated to campaigning for more visible change.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: September 01, 2014, 03:26:39 AM »
I reserved an economy rental car for a (long drive) business trip.

When I went to pick up the car, all they had was an SUV so they "did me a favor" and I "got upgraded like 3 levels" to the SUV for free.

This has also happened to me, they give me a weird look when I ask them if, by any chance, they have received any economy ones so I can switch.

Hehe happened to me too. I booked the cheapest with the most fuel economy and got  a "free upgrade". Not knowing much about cars I didn't realise the engine was a lot larger - thought it was zippy for a "sewing machine on wheels", but took a few tanks of petrol for me to pay attention and to realise how much petrol I was using.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #428 on: September 01, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »
I was talking to a neighbor on our doorstep, when his three year old son sneezed violently and the dad asked me for a tissue. I never buy Kleenex - only have old fashioned handkerchiefs , so I handed him a wad of toilet paper. I felt slightly embarrassed when the dad noticed what it was, not sure why.

We have similar issues with paper towels and paper napkins. We haven't used them for decades and yet when some people come over, they are actually upset when we use cloth napkins for dinner or cloth towels for clean ups. I really, really don't understand this. It's not like I'm handing them a dirty napkin or dirty towel. They are all freshly washed. One person told me I had made him uncomfortable because cloth means it's a fancy occasion instead of a casual game. Some people attach too much meaning to things.

eyesonthehorizon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: September 01, 2014, 12:18:05 PM »
... One person told me I had made him uncomfortable because cloth means it's a fancy occasion instead of a casual game. Some people attach too much meaning to things.
[Emphasis mine.]
This is just the problem, literally - too much meaning attached to physical things. A lot of people have the same hangups over eating on china, and I recently found out I do too - the only plates I have are half of my mother's ancient set and while they're not particularly fine, they are porcelain, and I've broken one bowl. It took me a long time to realize why I was so upset about it, and that agonizing wasn't productive. I revisited thoughts of buying some corelle or just cheap plastic to avert future disaster, and realized, what good does that do, to pack up the china in a cupboard another forty years and never use it, occupying space without utility? Why else does it exist, and what do I think am I saving it for?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #430 on: September 01, 2014, 12:47:27 PM »
This is just the problem, literally - too much meaning attached to physical things. A lot of people have the same hangups over eating on china, and I recently found out I do too - the only plates I have are half of my mother's ancient set and while they're not particularly fine, they are porcelain, and I've broken one bowl. It took me a long time to realize why I was so upset about it, and that agonizing wasn't productive. I revisited thoughts of buying some corelle or just cheap plastic to avert future disaster, and realized, what good does that do, to pack up the china in a cupboard another forty years and never use it, occupying space without utility? Why else does it exist, and what do I think am I saving it for?

We recently realized that as well while we were trying to reduce the amount of stuff we had. We have a beautiful set of china and at the time we also had a set of stoneware and a set of Corelle (which we used for fancy occasions since they were fancier than our stoneware). We asked ourselves, if this china is not good enough for our Friday night dinners, then who is it good enough for? We haven't used it for our friends either. Do we honestly think that the President of the Queen of England is going to saunter into our house and we will have to set up china worthy of him/her? And why aren't we as worthy?

Result: Got rid of the ugly stoneware, have started using the Corelle for everyday and the china for fancy meals and Friday night dinners. We feel so decadent and so much richer! If it breaks, it breaks. I certainly don't want to be one of those people who is discovered to be hoarding never-used china after her death. How sad would that be?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #431 on: September 01, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
I agree - I have nice Noritake for every day and my mother's really good china (Royal Crown Derby) for special occasions.  I am not sure we do our children any good when we use "everyday" stoneware - my DD freaked the first time I served her dinner on the Noritake when she was visiting. My DD is not good enough for china when as an adult she visits?  No way, she definitely is!  And often the "good stuff" is the good stuff for a reason, good china is really hard to break.

Napkins - when I was a kid, just after the end of the Cretaceous, cloth napkins were standard - the linen napkins were what got hauled out for special dinners, because they are nicer but harder to iron.  Paper napkins were for picnics and barbecues.  However, like towels, they were not a one use item - you used your napkin until laundry day or it got really dirty.

Sometimes I think some of our modern conveniences are not so convenient, and they certainly do not add to the small pleasures of life.  Which is nicer?  Dinner on a china setting with a cloth napkin, or on something clunky with a paper napkin.  Once kids are past the age where everything spills, it is nice to pretend we are all civilized.

Oh, re the above, you will pry my clothes washer and dryer (for when I need it) and dishwasher, and hot water tank, and modern stove, oven, and microwave, out of my cold dead hands.  Some things are definite conveniences   ;-)

We asked ourselves, if this china is not good enough for our Friday night dinners, then who is it good enough for?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #432 on: September 01, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
All true about the china, and I use mine every day. Nevertheless I cried for half an hour when I broke a plate recently, not because of the china itself but because my late grandmother bought the set for me years ago. Solution? I'm going to start replacing pieces and mixing them with the original set so that I'll never know if a piece is one she gave me or no, but the set will always be what she knew I liked and wanted me to use.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #433 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
I think mixed sets of china are more fun anyway, and often prettier. If everything's matchy-matchy, it's like having a library full of books with matching covers... you know they're like that because whoever bought them was playing it safe.

jordanread

« Reply #434 on: September 02, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »
I think mixed sets of china are more fun anyway, and often prettier. If everything's matchy-matchy, it's like having a library full of books with matching covers... you know they're like that because whoever bought them was playing it safe.

What is this "china" that you all speak of? :-P

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »
I use my great grandma's china every day. 

mustachian problem: Having enough.

The grocery store was giving away reusable bags, and the clerks didn't understand why I didn't want any. "But you always bring your own bags!  This one is reusable, too!"  "Yes, but I already have enough."

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #436 on: September 02, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »
Your truck is so old that the odometer only occasionally works and you just recently noticed that it wasn't working all the time and have no idea when it stopped working all the time.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »
I have quite a few different bank accounts for my cash savings as it's difficult to get a good interest rate and it means I have to keep a list of the different passwords to keep track. I was going to tell someone in my family how annoying it was to keep track of all the different accounts where we keep our money but thought that is actually not a bad problem to have.:0

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: September 03, 2014, 03:24:16 AM »
Crap.  I just looked at my 401k statement.   I got a little too aggressive with my investing.   It will be maxed by the end of September.   Now I have to figure out what to do with an extra $2,000 a month October, November and December.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #439 on: September 03, 2014, 08:10:55 AM »
I have too much literal cash lying around.  I've been too lazy to deposit that two and a half grand sitting in my bedroom.  I keep telling myself I'll go to the bank, but I don't need-need the money right now, so it gets put on the back burner until I have enough to make the trip "worthwhile".  (Source of cash: roommates reimburse me their share of household expenses and I sit on it)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #440 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
Crap.  I just looked at my 401k statement.   I got a little too aggressive with my investing.   It will be maxed by the end of September.   Now I have to figure out what to do with an extra $2,000 a month October, November and December.

Statistically speaking, front loading your 401k is a good thing. If you have a windfall, lump sum beats dollar cost averaging about 2/3 of the time. More simply put, money invested today is better than money invested tomorrow, because it the long run, the stock market goes up. So by that logic, front loading your 401k is a good thing.
In practice, we're talking about a couple months difference, so it's probably not going to make a noticeable difference (although in a year like 2013, it would probably be noticeable). Also, there are two practical considerations: 1) If your employer only matches a certain amount per paycheck, then you would definitely want to contribute throughout the whole year to maximize the match. 2). If you end up switching jobs to an employer that has a better 401k match, you can't "retract" your previous contributions to your 401k to get more contributions with a better match at your new employer (at least, I'm pretty sure you can't do this. Hopefully somebody can prove me wrong =P).

But yea, I completely understand your Mustachian problem =)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #441 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »
I have too much literal cash lying around.  I've been too lazy to deposit that two and a half grand sitting in my bedroom.  I keep telling myself I'll go to the bank, but I don't need-need the money right now, so it gets put on the back burner until I have enough to make the trip "worthwhile".  (Source of cash: roommates reimburse me their share of household expenses and I sit on it)

You could just ask them to send you their share through Amazon payments. Free to use, and they can use a credit card to send you money, which is great for them because they can get the credit card rewards on it. Limit of sending $1000/month per person. Or, you could use something like Venmo, which is free to use with debit cards and bank accounts (but using a credit card with them requires a fee of I think 3%) to send money between friends. They also have a limit on transaction amounts per month, I forget what it is.
Though if they insist on giving you their share of expenses in cash, this doesn't help at all.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #442 on: September 03, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
Hmm, I'll look into those options.  They both mostly get paid in cash (tips) but they might be open to something like that.  Would make things simpler for me.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »

You could just ask them to send you their share through Amazon payments. Free to use, and they can use a credit card to send you money, which is great for them because they can get the credit card rewards on it. Limit of sending $1000/month per person. Or, you could use something like Venmo, which is free to use with debit cards and bank accounts (but using a credit card with them requires a fee of I think 3%) to send money between friends. They also have a limit on transaction amounts per month, I forget what it is.
Though if they insist on giving you their share of expenses in cash, this doesn't help at all.
If you want to do this full, set up a webpage with an Amazon link to the amazon gift certificates (or whatever it is called) and let them buy this to give you the code.
In germany thats 6% "advertisement expenses return" for the webpage. Of course you need to buy somthing with the gift codes.

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
Got my 960-sq-ft house up for sale. When potential buyers ask me why I'm selling, I tell the truth -- "It's too big." They assume I have something to hide about the house, because that can't be the real reason.

Also, +1 on the not getting to complete surveys because I don't buy enough of the things on the list, or watch any of the shows.

Serious question, does going lower than 960sqft really make much of a difference?  I can see going from 3000 to 1000. But under 1000 seems like your just splitting hairs.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »

Serious question, does going lower than 960sqft really make much of a difference?  I can see going from 3000 to 1000. But under 1000 seems like your just splitting hairs.

I think it can, especially moving from a larger, poorly-laid-out place to a small one with a good layout. My boyfriend and I downsized from a 550 square foot place to a 400, and love it. Takes me less than 5 minutes to vacuum. The day we moved into our old apartment I felt like it was too big for us. This is much better.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:21 PM »

turtle, for me it does. I had a 790 sqft condo, and it was too big for me. Currently in a ~300 sqft apartment, and it is a little too small. I think the perfect size for me would be between 500 & 600 sqft.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
What is this "china" that you all speak of? :-P

:-)

The stuff you get almost-free at yard sales!

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #448 on: September 03, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »
You guys with these under 500 sqft places blow my mind. Everyone has their things. I have no issue living in a small place, but I do not seek it out or have a goal to live in a place that small. I have a almost 300sqft room I dont even use or have furnished :)
If it works for you and you like it, I am no one to judge.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »
You guys with these under 500 sqft places blow my mind. Everyone has their things. I have no issue living in a small place, but I do not seek it out or have a goal to live in a place that small. I have a almost 300sqft room I dont even use or have furnished :)
If it works for you and you like it, I am no one to judge.

I've always been impressed with well-appointed, "everything has a place" spaces like boats.  When I discovered the Little House movement I started to seriously evaluate my need for a one or two bedroom apartment.  I love living in my 400 square foot studio (which is actually a little too big.)  With the exception of having to go down the hall to whiz, I'm legit jealous of this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4FoAr8i26g