Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1010243 times)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2500 on: February 16, 2016, 07:39:52 AM »
Do you have someone you trust who you could give it to in exchange for a check you can mobile deposit? 

Save them a trip to the ATM? 

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2501 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
Main bank offered to put us into a draw for 15k if we told them when our mortgage was up for renewal.  They didn't have the option of "never, we just paid it off".

So I used the date that the term was supposed to be complete, and if they phone us up asking if they can beat our existing rate, I'll tell them they have no chance.  I think that's a fair tradeoff.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2502 on: February 16, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »
I guess I could pay it into the bank, but you can't do that online, and I would have to go out of my way to get to a branch.
My bank has a phone app where you can simplytake a picture of a check/cheque to pay it in.
Perhaps they could do the same for cash ?

What...? You're joking, right?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the joke - that you could bank the cash AND keep it. Would certainly be nice!

Not sure I get the joke here.  I work in banking and what we do is OCR the serial number from the photo of the cash and then we blacklist those codes.  The customer can destroy the cash or keep it as a souvenir.  Spending it would be problematic, as the register scanner will flag the blacklisted cash and the black helicopters would arrive in short order.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:37:37 PM by dragoncar »

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2503 on: February 16, 2016, 01:03:05 PM »
Not sure I get the joke here.  I work in banking and what we do is OCR the serial number from the photo of the cash and then we blacklist those codes.  The customer can destroy the cash or keep it as a souvenir.  Spending it would be problematic, as the register scanner will flag the blacklisted cash and the black helicopters would arrive in short order.

Where are you that there are register scanners for cash?
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2504 on: February 16, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »
Troll, jordanread. Don't feed it.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2505 on: February 16, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
Troll, jordanread. Don't feed it.

It's dragoncar though!! Even if (s)he is trolling, it should wind up being fun.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2506 on: February 16, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »

Ah, you must not be in the US.  Here, ever since the Liberty Defense Act of 2022, all cash transactions are required to be digitized to prevent money laundering in finance of terrorism.  Accordingly, all Point of sale registers must have a calibrated scanner connected to a an automated suspect neutralization device.

It's really best to just use electronic funds to begin with, as cash transactions will always be heavily scrutinized.  It's not worth submitting the blood sample just to buy a latte.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2507 on: February 16, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
Here, ever since the Liberty Defense Act of 2022, all cash transactions are required to be digitized to prevent money laundering

Also, every washing machine sold after 2011 has to have cash detection sensors built-in.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2508 on: February 16, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »

Target does have register scanners to test the authenticity of $20 bills.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2509 on: February 16, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
Here, ever since the Liberty Defense Act of 2022, all cash transactions are required to be digitized to prevent money laundering

Also, every washing machine sold after 2011 has to have cash detection sensors built-in.
Canada has money-laundering safe notes. I think US bills are dry clean only

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2510 on: February 16, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »

Target does have register scanners to test the authenticity of $20 bills.

What about $50 bills and $100 bills. I only have $20 bills when I get change. Kidding, Kidding, I would never use cash at Target when I can get 5% off for using a Red Card. I do have the problem of the original poster of not spending cash as quickly as it comes in though. If it's in 20s it becomes a serious hassle as if I try to fit them all in my wallet it won't bend to close, hence I try to not get 20s from anyone.

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2511 on: February 16, 2016, 07:14:26 PM »
Ha I'm sure it does test $50 and $100 bills, too -- good point! I just never carry those.

With the high percentage of my shopping dollars that Target receives, I should probably get the Red Card. I lose out on a lot of rewards because I just don't like the creep factor of companies tracking what I purchase. But it gets harder and harder to stand firm on that issue.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2512 on: February 16, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
Ha I'm sure it does test $50 and $100 bills, too -- good point! I just never carry those.

With the high percentage of my shopping dollars that Target receives, I should probably get the Red Card. I lose out on a lot of rewards because I just don't like the creep factor of companies tracking what I purchase. But it gets harder and harder to stand firm on that issue.

You can typically do better than that. You can always get gift cards at a discount. Gift Card Wiki will search across a bunch of different used gift card resellers.

Currently giftcardbin is listed as having some Target gc's at 6.6% off. And when you buy those you can use a cc, so you're adding another 1-2% or w/e from your cc rewards.

chetmanly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2514 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:27 AM »
I can no longer see a giant house with a huge truck, giant boat, and ridiculous-sized camper out front without wondering how much the people who 'own' them owe.

I live in a "Luxury" apartment in Denver, (one bedroom with the spouse, we'll be looking for a new place in the next couple months). I know what everyone pays. So many people are single, living in two bedrooms, driving luxury cars. Why are you driving a luxury car and renting a two bedroom!? Christ, you could sell that POS and have a down payment on a new home, like, right across the street!

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2515 on: February 25, 2016, 09:11:52 AM »
Just bought our dream homestead last Friday. We lived in a cheap little house on the edge of a bad neighborhood for 4 years, specifically picked for being cheap and easily converted into a rental, while working to get ourselves into a better situation. When I bought it, I got criticism for buying such a 'crappy little house', when I could just wait and buy a nicer one. "friends" and family did the 'my house is bigger/nicer/prettier than yours' passive-aggressive dance on facebook while I quietly sat back and made double payments on my debt.

After closing we were coerced (by those same people) into putting pictures of the new house up on facebook, and now those people are quiet, and the rest of my family all think I'm insanely rich or something because  "how else can you afford THAT?!?"

I've tried to explain how I'm not a ****ing idiot with my money, and that's how we can afford it, but that does not compute.   These are some of the same people that two years ago thought we were going bankrupt because we canceled cable tv and bought a Roku.

I'm not even a great mustachian, it's just that my wife and I both work, and we're focused on being better with our money. We rarely go out to eat, we don't pay for cable, and we don't have stupid-expensive hobbies or go to the bar every night. Oh, and now we have an income property to boot!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2516 on: February 25, 2016, 10:58:43 AM »
Just bought our dream homestead last Friday. We lived in a cheap little house on the edge of a bad neighborhood for 4 years, specifically picked for being cheap and easily converted into a rental, while working to get ourselves into a better situation. When I bought it, I got criticism for buying such a 'crappy little house', when I could just wait and buy a nicer one. "friends" and family did the 'my house is bigger/nicer/prettier than yours' passive-aggressive dance on facebook while I quietly sat back and made double payments on my debt.

After closing we were coerced (by those same people) into putting pictures of the new house up on facebook, and now those people are quiet, and the rest of my family all think I'm insanely rich or something because  "how else can you afford THAT?!?"

I've tried to explain how I'm not a ****ing idiot with my money, and that's how we can afford it, but that does not compute.   These are some of the same people that two years ago thought we were going bankrupt because we canceled cable tv and bought a Roku.

I'm not even a great mustachian, it's just that my wife and I both work, and we're focused on being better with our money. We rarely go out to eat, we don't pay for cable, and we don't have stupid-expensive hobbies or go to the bar every night. Oh, and now we have an income property to boot!

Haha well for some people it's not necessarily that they don't understand, it's that they don't want to. Some people want to believe that the system is somehow rigged against them, so it's not their fault they're living paycheck to paycheck, can't afford nice things, etc.

GreenSheep

• Bristles
« Reply #2517 on: February 25, 2016, 11:08:34 AM »

Haha well for some people it's not necessarily that they don't understand, it's that they don't want to. Some people want to believe that the system is somehow rigged against them, so it's not their fault they're living paycheck to paycheck, can't afford nice things, etc.

Congratulations, jfisher3! That's fantastic!

And johnny847... yes. Exactly. It's always someone else's fault.

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2518 on: February 25, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »

Congratulations, jfisher3! That's fantastic!

And johnny847... yes. Exactly. It's always someone else's fault.

Thanks :) it's a dream come true, with plenty of work that the dream doesn't tell you about lol. It's a 144 year old farm house, but ideally set up for a small homestead. Wife loves the farm house moxie, I love the ability to grow my own food for fun and profit :P

UnleashHell

• Magnum Stache
  • climbing out of a dark hole
« Reply #2519 on: February 25, 2016, 12:21:25 PM »
Problem - having got a pay raise and a larger bonus than last year I now have to work out in which pay schedule  I should reduce my 401k contributions so that I don't go over the max....

sigh....

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2520 on: February 25, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
Problem - having got a pay raise and a larger bonus than last year I now have to work out in which pay schedule  I should reduce my 401k contributions so that I don't go over the max....

sigh....

So I believe most systems are set up to stop your contributions once you reach the $18k limit. However, you may still need to adjust your contributions anyway simply because some companies don't give you your full match if you max out your contributions before the year's end.

UnleashHell

• Magnum Stache
  • climbing out of a dark hole
« Reply #2521 on: February 25, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »

sigh....

So I believe most systems are set up to stop your contributions once you reach the $18k limit. However, you may still need to adjust your contributions anyway simply because some companies don't give you your full match if you max out your contributions before the year's end.

my company don;t match unless you contribute - on a pay period basis so I can't front load. plus they don't stop adding the amounts - they roll it into a roth run by them - I don;t want that to happen either..

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2522 on: February 25, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »

sigh....

Many are, but I recommend getting confirmation from the payroll people that the system will indeed cut you off rather than face a paperwork nightmare. Many times it will cut you off at some arbitrary amount just shy of the IRS limit. In any case it's well worth the time to double check that everything checks out on the last paycheck of the year. There are some truly awful system out there.

• Bristles
« Reply #2523 on: February 25, 2016, 04:14:26 PM »
Thought I would add one of several thousand random posts to this thread.  Who is a woman?  What is retirement?  What if you work BUT it is fun?  How to handle imputed rent?  Inquiring minds want to know and DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2524 on: February 29, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »
MPP: When you're obsessively checking your bank account to see when a check clears, not because you need the money, but because you don't want to have to deal with a budget anomaly in Mint if it doesn't clear by the last day of the month in order to show up in your February savings rate.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2525 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
Came up on a different thread but fits here: I keep the house at 64 degrees, but it slows down my kombucha fermentation too much!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2526 on: February 29, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »
Came up on a different thread but fits here: I keep the house at 64 degrees, but it slows down my kombucha fermentation too much!
If you need to ferment and have heat at all, wrap a towel or blanket 3/4 the way around your fermentation vessel, and face the other 1/4 of it towards your heat source.  That's how we ferment mead in the winter, keeps it nice and toasty.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2527 on: February 29, 2016, 08:40:04 PM »
If you need to ferment and have heat at all, wrap a towel or blanket 3/4 the way around your fermentation vessel, and face the other 1/4 of it towards your heat source.  That's how we ferment mead in the winter, keeps it nice and toasty.

Do you set it near the heat source? We only have floor registers, so I think my dog would get a tasty dough treat if I tried to do that =P
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Piwakawaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2528 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »
Well how about that. My first Mustachian person problem!
One of my security holdings has suspended its dividend reinvestment program, meaning I have to accept an interim cash dividend. Sigh. Now I have to send in a form with many a detail, wait X amount of time for Y amount of money which will be invested ASAP anyway.
Ambition is for the chronically discontent

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #2529 on: February 29, 2016, 11:15:35 PM »
Received my annual bonus today.  It was much bigger than expected.  Two problems:

1.  We (DW and I) have to decide how to save it all.
2.  I have to recalculate my 401k contributions for the rest of the year so I don't max out until the end of the year and still get all of the company's 3% max.

Mustachian problems....

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2530 on: February 29, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »
DH's pay didn't go through over the weekend and I was worried it wouldn't get into our account by the end of the month. I wasn't worried about being paid late, I was worried about it messing with my monthly savings rate.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2531 on: March 01, 2016, 06:35:08 AM »
DH's pay didn't go through over the weekend and I was worried it wouldn't get into our account by the end of the month. I wasn't worried about being paid late, I was worried about it messing with my monthly savings rate.

Just think of how great the next month's savings rate will be though!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2532 on: March 01, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »

I'd just record it as February anyways.  It's an amount owed to you as of February, count it the same way you would money you loaned someone or a bond

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2533 on: March 01, 2016, 11:36:05 AM »

I'd just record it as February anyways.  It's an amount owed to you as of February, count it the same way you would money you loaned someone or a bond

Whatever you do, I'd just keep it consistent. Cash accounting and accrual accounting are both fine, but it gets weird if you mix them together.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2534 on: March 01, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »

This is what I do when making yogurt, wrap a towel around it.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2535 on: March 01, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »

Do you set it near the heat source? We only have floor registers, so I think my dog would get a tasty dough treat if I tried to do that =P

LOL. Have you tried on top of the refrigerator?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2536 on: March 01, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »

LOL. Have you tried on top of the refrigerator?

Now that would be entirely too sensible =D

Thank you for the suggestion. A bit ashamed I didn't think of it!

zinny1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2537 on: March 01, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »
I'm off on holiday in a month's time and asked payroll today if I can utilise the 'pay leave in advance' process so my two fortnightly payments get paid together at the beginning of my holiday. I was asked in an embarrassed whisper if this was to pay my credit card bill (as I assume they think I can't pay it) - um, no. I did pay for it all on my card (for the points) but it's been paid off long ago. Oh, then is it so you can have spending money for your trip? Um, no, I have spending money all sorted and everything paid for or budgetted for. This was met with frowns of consternation so I just said I wouldn't have access to internet banking overseas (lie) and wanted to sort out my payments for while I was away. Was congratulated on my foresight and logic.

Truth is I'll be investing every cent of the payment and want it in my account ASAP. Better in my pocket earning $$ than waiting to receive it! I then had to fill out 4 forms and ask my senior manager to approve it - he was very concerned and asked if everything was ok. Sigh.

It's so concerning that this is the finance department and it's an extremely unusual request due to the lack of money management skills in my highly educated and high earning office/business.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2538 on: March 03, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
Everyone at my company has to fill out a financial disclosure form (gov't contractor - they want to make sure you're not taking money from the Russians). My form got singled out for a "quality check" and they sent it back for me to correct. The reason? They thought I forgot to fill out the Mortgages & Loans section. I just don't have anything to put there.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2539 on: March 03, 2016, 06:26:52 PM »
I'm off on holiday in a month's time and asked payroll today if I can utilise the 'pay leave in advance' process so my two fortnightly payments get paid together at the beginning of my holiday. I was asked in an embarrassed whisper if this was to pay my credit card bill (as I assume they think I can't pay it) - um, no. I did pay for it all on my card (for the points) but it's been paid off long ago. Oh, then is it so you can have spending money for your trip? Um, no, I have spending money all sorted and everything paid for or budgetted for. This was met with frowns of consternation so I just said I wouldn't have access to internet banking overseas (lie) and wanted to sort out my payments for while I was away. Was congratulated on my foresight and logic.

Truth is I'll be investing every cent of the payment and want it in my account ASAP. Better in my pocket earning $$ than waiting to receive it! I then had to fill out 4 forms and ask my senior manager to approve it - he was very concerned and asked if everything was ok. Sigh.

It's so concerning that this is the finance department and it's an extremely unusual request due to the lack of money management skills in my highly educated and high earning office/business.

Wow, is this really that uncommon where you're from? Our leave application form has two boxes. Paid up front or paid on regular schedule. Tick one, they process as requested. Simple.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #2540 on: March 03, 2016, 07:07:19 PM »
I found out yesterday that I could have salary sacrificed my house mortgage payments through my employer (paid with pre-tax money taken straight from my pay). That would have been helpful to know back when I had a mortgage!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #2541 on: March 03, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
I found out yesterday that I could have salary sacrificed my house mortgage payments through my employer (paid with pre-tax money taken straight from my pay). That would have been helpful to know back when I had a mortgage!
Wait... how? Where do you live?
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2542 on: March 03, 2016, 08:09:57 PM »

I already do.

Wait... how? Where do you live?

It's not so much "where do you live?" as "who is your employer?" Salary sacrificing arrangements are available to people employed by public benevolent institutions (not-for-profit hospitals, health departments, charitable institutions) and the arrangements depend on what package the employer has set up.

I pay my mortgage and part of my credit card bill with pre-tax money.

ETA: Australia. Home of the tax rort and land of the socialised health care system. It's not perfect, but it has its perks. With the added bonus of Donald Trump not being from here...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #2543 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:52 PM »
Quote from: Primm
It's not so much "where do you live?" as "who is your employer?" Salary sacrificing arrangements are available to people employed by public benevolent institutions (not-for-profit hospitals, health departments, charitable institutions) and the arrangements depend on what package the employer has set up.

In Australia, though?
I'm pretty sure that's not a thing here.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2544 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
ETA: Australia. Home of the tax rort and land of the socialised health care system. It's not perfect, but it has its perks. With the added bonus of Donald Trump not being from here...

Yeah, but Rupert Murdoch is.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2545 on: March 03, 2016, 08:15:05 PM »

Meh. From here, but not here any more. Not our problem. Plus he's not an Australian citizen any more, he's a US citizen (naturalised). :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:16:47 PM by Primm »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2546 on: March 04, 2016, 12:56:34 AM »

Meh. From here, but not here any more. Not our problem. Plus he's not an Australian citizen any more, he's a US citizen (naturalised). :D

Where is trumps plan for a wall to keep the crazy Australians out?

missbee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2547 on: March 04, 2016, 01:09:14 AM »

In Australia, though?

And it also depends on your field of work - nurses get some of the best payroll perks going - as a not-nurse I can only go up to $9,010AUD of pretax payments per (FBT) year. Still saves me around 3k in tax per annum so I ain't complaining. But for other personal financial situations it just doesn't work because that $9,010 gets grossed up to $17,000 for tax assessment purposes. If you have a HECS/HELP debt or Child Support Arrangement, salary packaging is not a good idea.

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2548 on: March 04, 2016, 01:21:37 AM »

I wish I could do this.... all we can do is cars

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2549 on: March 04, 2016, 02:56:39 AM »

In Australia, though?

And it also depends on your field of work - nurses get some of the best payroll perks going - as a not-nurse I can only go up to $9,010AUD of pretax payments per (FBT) year. Still saves me around 3k in tax per annum so I ain't complaining. But for other personal financial situations it just doesn't work because that $9,010 gets grossed up to $17,000 for tax assessment purposes. If you have a HECS/HELP debt or Child Support Arrangement, salary packaging is not a good idea.

I'm a nurse and I can only SP up to $17k grossed up as well.