Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086915 times)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7600 on: June 29, 2020, 08:18:00 AM »
My wife and i had the following discussion.  If I have you $1000 cash right now and you had to spend it what would you buy?

DW - "I can't think of anything"

Me - "I'd rather have the $1000 bucks"

End of conversation.

I do have $1000 and already chose to save it, which is why I have $1000.

Yeah but the question posed is "and you had to spend it" which is what makes it a challenge.

I had to dig deep, other than donating it, to come up with something that I would actually be a little interested in having.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:57:40 AM by sui generis »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7601 on: June 29, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
My wife and i had the following discussion.  If I have you $1000 cash right now and you had to spend it what would you buy?

End of conversation.

I feel like the same conversations come up every year with family.  What is it you want frugalnacho, socks, music, a t-shirt? What small item can we purchase you for a gift?  Well, nothing - I already have money and if I needed any of those things then I already bought them, like who the fuck is in needs of socks and can't just purchase it themselves?  If you insist on getting me a gift just do something nice for me, or have us over for dinner, or do something that shows thought but isn't expensive.

MIL needs a Christmas list. So we start thinking in July. Luckily, we asked for a pair of something last year and she only got us one. Actually, we could still use a pair, so if she only gets us one again, we are already good for next year, as well.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7602 on: June 29, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »

End of conversation.

Yeah but the question posed is "and you had to spend it" which is what makes it a challenge.

I had to dig deep, other than donating it, to come up with something that I would actually be a little interested in having.

Travel.  I can always find somewhere that I want to go.  $1000 could easily be a long weekend in NOLA with dinner at Galatoire's and Antoine's.

I mean, maybe not right this minute, but soon.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7603 on: June 29, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
I dunno, I could easily spend £1000 on our garden. I choose not to right now and to accumulate things slowly and to get plants young or free and grow them up myself, but I have a long list and £1000 could do a lot towards getting things right now! Fruit trees, bushes, larger pots, etc etc.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7604 on: June 29, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
I feel like the same conversations come up every year with family.  What is it you want frugalnacho, socks, music, a t-shirt? What small item can we purchase you for a gift?  Well, nothing - I already have money and if I needed any of those things then I already bought them, like who the fuck is in needs of socks and can't just purchase it themselves?  If you insist on getting me a gift just do something nice for me, or have us over for dinner, or do something that shows thought but isn't expensive.
This is basically exactly what the boys have said about gifts for us. But now they know that delicious consumables are always a hit so that is awesome.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #7605 on: July 04, 2020, 05:37:11 AM »
Since I'm guessing this $1000 can't go to things like "3-4 months of minimum student loan payments", I'd say we'd choose a new gaming computer for Mr. Penguintroopers or an iPhone upgrade for myself. Both are items that we've wanted for over a year but have delayed. Depending on how the rest of the year goes (COVID, finishing our SL debt, what sales/promotions are offered closer to Black Friday/Christmas), we will see what we end up doing.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7606 on: July 08, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
As of five minutes ago, I officially owe absolutely nothing to anyone (except myself where I borrowed from savings to make the last payment).  And I can't tell anyone without breaking that carefully crafted illusion that I'm riding the struggle bus. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7607 on: July 08, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »
As of five minutes ago, I officially owe absolutely nothing to anyone (except myself where I borrowed from savings to make the last payment).  And I can't tell anyone without breaking that carefully crafted illusion that I'm riding the struggle bus.

WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7608 on: July 08, 2020, 12:09:41 PM »

congratulations!!!!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7609 on: July 08, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »

Awesome news!! Congratulations!!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7610 on: July 08, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
High fives @Sugaree! 🙌

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7611 on: July 08, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »

Congratulations!

I understand the annoyance. I am getting a larger lump sum of money in the fall and if I accept a job offer I will not need the money. I have already spent time playing with my excel file of finances and thinking of how I should invest the money. When I tell my family that I will save the money they will probably consider me a bit crazy and question what I will do with all that money saved. :) My family has already figured that I am not riding the struggle bus.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7612 on: July 08, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »
@Sugaree WEll done!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #7613 on: July 09, 2020, 12:15:49 AM »

i can't tell you how much I wish I had crafted a similar illusion. My ego wouldn't let me--the damn thing. It may not be too late though--Maybe I can craft an illusory catastrophe..

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7614 on: July 09, 2020, 03:59:18 AM »

Congratulations!

I understand the annoyance. I am getting a larger lump sum of money in the fall and if I accept a job offer I will not need the money. I have already spent time playing with my excel file of finances and thinking of how I should invest the money. When I tell my family that I will save the money they will probably consider me a bit crazy and question what I will do with all that money saved. :) My family has already figured that I am not riding the struggle bus.

One of the best things I did for myself was to sit down and create a written plan, kind of a flowchart, for where "extra" money would go.  That was OT, side jobs, stimulus checks, tax refunds, whatever.  Now that the first item on that list has been knocked off, I just move on to the next one. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7615 on: July 09, 2020, 04:01:08 AM »

i can't tell you how much I wish I had crafted a similar illusion. My ego wouldn't let me--the damn thing. It may not be too late though--Maybe I can craft an illusory catastrophe..

Sadly, I didn't have to create one.  2018 did that for me.  Tornado in March dropped two trees on my house.  In May, my husband blew the engine in his car and in November he totaled mine in a wreck.  The following February, he lost his job (which was for the best anyway).  We're just now getting caught up with all that and back to where we were in February 2018.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7616 on: July 09, 2020, 05:51:18 AM »
I was enjoying my pool today, like I do every day, but went back to this MMM post just for fun.  I am in my pool every day, even in the winter, and it brings me a whole new lease on life.  I don't think I'd be outside in the Houston summer, our kids wouldn't be outside with their friends, and we wouldn't enjoy the view of the pool outside our window if the pool were not there.  I guess, if I'm paying $20 a day, then this 'latte habit' is my downfall and I'll just have to work that extra year.  Egads!  I appreciate the awareness, but life is so complicated, this is one area I'm more than happy to have paid for and moved on.  Whew, cheers to paid off extravagance.

I miss our pool, sometimes. With this ridiculous string of hot weather, I miss it more. The pool came with the (previous) house. Kids were excited and we used it extensively the first probably 3 years or so. Then seemingly everyone just stopped using it. I was the proverbial pool man as no one wanted to take care of it. Everyday balancing the chemicals and cleaning. Had to replace the pool pump and the liner was going to need to be replaced. It just wasn't worth the cost anymore. I know folks who have a salt water pool and are in it damn near everyday. Certainly worth it for folks like that.     

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7617 on: July 09, 2020, 07:47:42 AM »

Sadly, I didn't have to create one.  2018 did that for me.  Tornado in March dropped two trees on my house.  In May, my husband blew the engine in his car and in November he totaled mine in a wreck.  The following February, he lost his job (which was for the best anyway).  We're just now getting caught up with all that and back to where we were in February 2018.

It's impressive that it took you less than 2 years to recover, though! I guess that even when those kinds of things happen, it pays to be mindful with your money. Hopefully the new (?) car will last longer...!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7618 on: July 09, 2020, 10:56:51 AM »

It's impressive that it took you less than 2 years to recover, though! I guess that even when those kinds of things happen, it pays to be mindful with your money. Hopefully the new (?) car will last longer...!

I got a new, old car.  I bought something so similar that most people don't realize it's not the same vehicle.  Only it had 60k fewer miles.  I'm not kidding when I say that I buy what I love and drive it forever.  I drove my old one for 12 years (that's the one that DH blew the engine in). 

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7619 on: July 09, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »

Congratulations!

One of the best things I did for myself was to sit down and create a written plan, kind of a flowchart, for where "extra" money would go.  That was OT, side jobs, stimulus checks, tax refunds, whatever.  Now that the first item on that list has been knocked off, I just move on to the next one.

I only have my mortgage and studentloan. The mortgage with a 1,7 % interestrate and the studentloan with a 0,16 % interestrate. Due to the low interestrates I am not looking into paying them off rather which stocks to invest the money in but I will have it figured out when the time comes so when the money land in my account they are fast out of it according to my plan. :-)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7620 on: July 10, 2020, 11:51:14 AM »

Aaaaaand....a truck kicked up a rock and chipped the windshield of my just-paid-off Jeep.  Of course.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7621 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »

Aaaaaand....a truck kicked up a rock and chipped the windshield of my just-paid-off Jeep.  Of course.

Of course.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7622 on: July 10, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »

Good thing you're debt free and on your way to financial freedom.  This would suck even more if you still owed a shit ton on the Jeep and had other debt you had to service.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7623 on: July 10, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »

Chipped as in you need to replace it? Or chipped as in you can repair it? Because the repair is a lot less.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7624 on: July 10, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »
Our car insurance will pay to send someone to repair a chip in the windshield to avoid a replacement

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7625 on: July 10, 2020, 06:41:56 PM »
Or you can get your own kit for about $12 at the auto parts store. It’s an easy DIY.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7626 on: July 11, 2020, 04:55:19 AM »
I've already had it fixed.  They were able to fill it.  I just thought it was funny that this was the third vehicle that has had something minor happen to it within days of paying it off. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7627 on: July 11, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »
I was enjoying my pool today, like I do every day, but went back to this MMM post just for fun.  I am in my pool every day, even in the winter, and it brings me a whole new lease on life.  I don't think I'd be outside in the Houston summer, our kids wouldn't be outside with their friends, and we wouldn't enjoy the view of the pool outside our window if the pool were not there.  I guess, if I'm paying $20 a day, then this 'latte habit' is my downfall and I'll just have to work that extra year.  Egads!  I appreciate the awareness, but life is so complicated, this is one area I'm more than happy to have paid for and moved on.  Whew, cheers to paid off extravagance.

I miss our pool, sometimes. With this ridiculous string of hot weather, I miss it more. The pool came with the (previous) house. Kids were excited and we used it extensively the first probably 3 years or so. Then seemingly everyone just stopped using it. I was the proverbial pool man as no one wanted to take care of it. Everyday balancing the chemicals and cleaning. Had to replace the pool pump and the liner was going to need to be replaced. It just wasn't worth the cost anymore. I know folks who have a salt water pool and are in it damn near everyday. Certainly worth it for folks like that.   

Got rid of our pool this year too (was waiting until it needed expensive maintenance) then we had the hottest June that I can remember since living in this house. I was the pool woman too, plus my kids are little and I was worried they would fall in. And where we live we could only use it 3 months/year. Still miss it a little though.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7628 on: July 13, 2020, 07:14:24 AM »

Got rid of our pool this year too (was waiting until it needed expensive maintenance) then we had the hottest June that I can remember since living in this house. I was the pool woman too, plus my kids are little and I was worried they would fall in. And where we live we could only use it 3 months/year. Still miss it a little though.

I live somewhere that a pool can reasonable be expected to be used at least 7 months out of the year.  My best friend, who is currently making really bad decisions with a life insurance settlement, put in a heated in-ground pool this winter.  I've never asked, but she did let it slip the other day that the first month it was ready (February, maybe?) that she got a $2000 water/gas bill from filling it and heating it.  At least she turned the heat down after that (though she thinks her brother may be coming over during the day and turning it back up...joke's on him because she's turned off the gas to the heater to stop that shit).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7629 on: July 13, 2020, 07:20:48 AM »

I live somewhere that a pool can reasonable be expected to be used at least 7 months out of the year.  My best friend, who is currently making really bad decisions with a life insurance settlement, put in a heated in-ground pool this winter.  I've never asked, but she did let it slip the other day that the first month it was ready (February, maybe?) that she got a $2000 water/gas bill from filling it and heating it.  At least she turned the heat down after that (though she thinks her brother may be coming over during the day and turning it back up...joke's on him because she's turned off the gas to the heater to stop that shit).

I think I'd be putting a camera up on that pool. That's pretty shitty of the brother if he's doing that. Catch him red handed, then send him a bill for the gas.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7630 on: July 13, 2020, 08:13:12 AM »

I think I'd be putting a camera up on that pool. That's pretty shitty of the brother if he's doing that. Catch him red handed, then send him a bill for the gas.

He couldn't pay it anyway. 

All the siblings have an open invitation to come swim, so that wasn't a problem.  I don't know if she told him not to mess with the thermostat or just turned it off completely.  I would guess the latter, but not my circus.  I've had to hold my tongue a lot lately.  Her family has always taken advantage of her, and it's been way worse now that they think she's "rich."

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7631 on: July 13, 2020, 12:41:59 PM »

Whaaaaaaatttttttt. New contender for biggest brain explosion from this thread. Two THOUSAND bucks? Do you have any idea how much the life insurance settlement is? Is it enough to heat the pool for more than, say, a year?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7632 on: July 13, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »

Whaaaaaaatttttttt. New contender for biggest brain explosion from this thread. Two THOUSAND bucks? Do you have any idea how much the life insurance settlement is? Is it enough to heat the pool for more than, say, a year?

It was $1M.  A $500k policy with double indemnity that kicked in when he was killed in a car wreck that treated as a homicide.  However, she's done a ton of grief spending over the last 2.5 years and I would be shocked if even half of it is left. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7633 on: July 13, 2020, 11:36:32 PM »

It was $1M.  A $500k policy with double indemnity that kicked in when he was killed in a car wreck that treated as a homicide.  However, she's done a ton of grief spending over the last 2.5 years and I would be shocked if even half of it is left.

If she just invested that $1M in VTSAX, she could have spent $2k on heating the pool every month for 30 years and have $1333 left over for chlorine.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7634 on: July 14, 2020, 05:09:37 AM »

If she just invested that $1M in VTSAX, she could have spent $2k on heating the pool every month for 30 years and have $1333 left over for chlorine.

I know.  I've tried to gently explain that this was supposed to be to take care of her and her girls for the rest of her life.  It went in one ear and out the other.  I think it's probably hard to imagine that much money ever running out when you've lived your whole life paycheck to just-over-minimum-wage-paycheck.  We're talking about someone who grew up without a whole lot of money and has been supporting one family member or another since she was 15.  I do know that she's talked to a financial planner and set 529s up for her girls and paid off her house, so not all of her decisions have been terrible. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7635 on: July 14, 2020, 11:04:06 AM »
Won’t she also have social security survivor payments immediately as well as payments for her kids until they turn 18?  My annual social security statement seems to indicate that. If I kick off early, my DW will have a large lump sum from life insurance, social security survivor benefits, and our stash. She could blow the life insurance and still be fine. (She wouldn’t, she’s a cheapskate, one of her many attractive qualities.)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7636 on: July 14, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
My daughter was invited to test by her karate instructor. He offered to let her perform in an empty dojo, cancelling class. My wife took the van to go shopping, so I had to drive my car for the first time in five weeks to get my daughter to the testing. I'm not sure it's worth it to be a two-car family, honestly, but we've saved enough already that selling my car and investing $6,000 won't move the needle for us very much.

Too many cars, too much money. Will you guys accept me?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7637 on: July 14, 2020, 11:41:35 AM »
My daughter was invited to test by her karate instructor. He offered to let her perform in an empty dojo, cancelling class. My wife took the van to go shopping, so I had to drive my car for the first time in five weeks to get my daughter to the testing. I'm not sure it's worth it to be a two-car family, honestly, but we've saved enough already that selling my car and investing $6,000 won't move the needle for us very much.

Too many cars, too much money. Will you guys accept me?
Only because you are cute :)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7638 on: July 14, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
@ysette9 you know how to make a man who bikes everywhere feel special

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7639 on: July 14, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »
@ysette9 you know how to make a man who bikes everywhere feel special
Practice makes perfect.
I tell my husband all the time that I married him for his beauty.

helloyou

• Bristles
« Reply #7640 on: July 14, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »
I got negative rating on mortgage because my debt to earning is too low as well as my spending

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7641 on: July 15, 2020, 11:30:19 PM »
I got negative rating on mortgage because my debt to earning is too low as well as my spending

Mortgages give ratings now?  THREE STARS ALWAYS PAYS ON TIME BUT HASNT REPLACED THE ROOF IN 25 years

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7642 on: July 16, 2020, 07:04:17 PM »
In related news, while tracking well in general compared to last year, i've crept over one spending goal for 2021 and will stop drinking (outside of social settings) for the remainder of 2020 when the gin runs out.

Once the gin runs out, you can read this - https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Ginmill-Matthew-Scudder-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B000FC14HQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=P6EW2VBY5MTT&dchild=1&keywords=when+the+sacred+ginmill+closes+by+lawrence+block&qid=1594947795&sprefix=when+the+sacre%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-2

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7643 on: July 17, 2020, 07:22:44 AM »
My wife switched us to box wine because we never have enough adults in the house to drink an entire bottle at one time. The problem is that boxed wine is really not very good.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7644 on: July 17, 2020, 07:33:51 AM »
My wife switched us to box wine because we never have enough adults in the house to drink an entire bottle at one time. The problem is that boxed wine is really not very good.

You can recork a bottle and keep it in the fridge.  I'm a household of one, I do this with reds and whites, no issues.

Here the LCBO even sells them.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7645 on: July 17, 2020, 07:36:28 AM »

Try different brands? Or restopper the bottle for later.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7646 on: July 17, 2020, 07:39:46 AM »

You can recork a bottle and keep it in the fridge.  I'm a household of one, I do this with reds and whites, no issues.

Here the LCBO even sells them.
The Vacu Vin stopper system helps as well. Reduces oxidation vs. a regular cork/stopper.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7647 on: July 17, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
We do boxed now for the same reasons. Even corked in the fridge we struggle to get through an entire bottle of wine in time. I’ve never found an excellent boxed wine but I have had decent ones from Target and Trader Joe’s in the past.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7648 on: July 17, 2020, 07:57:05 AM »
I'm far from a wine snob but there are plenty of decent boxed wines that we've found- Bota and Black Box aren't bad. Also, Costco now sells a kirkland cabernet sauvignon for like $12.99 that's pretty good.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7649 on: July 17, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »

We used to have a VacuVin system and it worked pretty well.  But we do Bota Box, and I don't find the white varietals objectionable, and their Old Vine Zinfandel is also good

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!