Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087202 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5150 on: May 14, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »
*"It's an emergency brake. Parking isn't an emergency!"

That's crazy. Pretty sure it's officially called a parking brake...

E-brake, I thought. She still engages it, but not without the vehicle being in gear. Drives me crazy. Also, the quote is not a direct quote, just what I think goes on in her head*. There is some justification, in that the e-brake doesn't work well in her vehicle, and with just it, it would roll down a hill (that we have never parked on). Still, I grind my teeth every time. The rental was just a catalyst that was recent.

*I'm notoriously bad at this at the best of times.

I believe the proper procedure when parking is to:
1) Set the parking brake
2) Release foot from [normal] brake pedal to let the car rest on the parking brake
3) Put the car in gear (failsafe in case the parking brake fails)
Yep, I've had the car actually roll down a hill into a ditch because the brake failed. I have always left it in gear since then.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5151 on: May 14, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
About this - the explanation I got from Google was that the brakes get hot while in use but then contract when you are parked, so a few mins after stopping your car rolls away. I thought I was on flat ground... Well I always put it in gear now!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #5152 on: May 14, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »

E-brake, I thought. She still engages it, but not without the vehicle being in gear. Drives me crazy. Also, the quote is not a direct quote, just what I think goes on in her head*. There is some justification, in that the e-brake doesn't work well in her vehicle, and with just it, it would roll down a hill (that we have never parked on). Still, I grind my teeth every time. The rental was just a catalyst that was recent.

1) Set the parking brake
2) Release foot from [normal] brake pedal to let the car rest on the parking brake
Yep, I've had the car actually roll down a hill into a ditch because the brake failed. I have always left it in gear since then.

I always leave it in gear.

Pretty sure that it's not an "E-brake" but an "EPB - Electronic Parking Brake"

Fixed ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:46:40 PM by Friar »

jordanread

« Reply #5153 on: May 14, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »

1) Set the parking brake

Oh, I get that. Having a vehicle jump .5 - 2' forward definitely wouldn't cause issues. /s

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it is fucking annoying.

I saw that there were 2 new replies since I drafted this. Both supporting putting it in gear. ( @Friar fucked up quotes, so I'm assuming here). Still annoying as fuck. Had I tried to drive her car prior to us dating, I wouldn't have continued courting her. We are at 9.5 years currently. Sneaky.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #5154 on: May 14, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »
Yeah, fixed that terrible quoting.

Wholly supportive of leaving cars in gear.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5155 on: May 14, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
What, you would leave it in neutral? Isn't that, umm, insane? I was taught to always press the clutch while turning on the car. I was also taught NOT to use the hand brake for parking unless I could not avoid parking on a hill. Daddy is an auto mechanic and I suppose was more concerned with the brake than with whether or not the car rolled away.

I haven't driven stick in almost 20 years and I have always set the parking brake in flagrant defiance of my father's orders :-).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5156 on: May 14, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
What, you would leave it in neutral? Isn't that, umm, insane? I was taught to always press the clutch while turning on the car. I was also taught NOT to use the hand brake for parking unless I could not avoid parking on a hill. Daddy is an auto mechanic and I suppose was more concerned with the brake than with whether or not the car rolled away.

I haven't driven stick in almost 20 years and I have always set the parking brake in flagrant defiance of my father's orders :-).

You should regularly (relatively) use the hand/parking/emergency brake to keep it greased and prevent sticking/rusting/whatever happens

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5157 on: May 14, 2018, 07:33:58 PM »
Manual transmission always should be in gear when parked. Most won't start without the clutch engaged anyway.

jordanread

« Reply #5158 on: May 14, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
Manual transmission always should be in gear when parked. Most won't start without the clutch engaged anyway.

You obviously have more faith in humanity than I do.

The clutch engaged means nothing, except the car jumps far if one is smart enough to figure out what is happening. If they aren't, well, they deserve what they get.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5159 on: May 15, 2018, 12:06:06 AM »
Not t letting Americans drive in Europe is a feature, not a bug. They would get killed out there. The average American driver flips the fuck out if there isn’t 5 feet of buffer space in every direction.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5160 on: May 15, 2018, 12:49:23 AM »

The clutch engaged means nothing, except the car jumps far if one is smart enough to figure out what is happening. If they aren't, well, they deserve what they get.

Why would the car jump if the clutch is in?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5161 on: May 15, 2018, 04:55:10 AM »

Because when you start the engine the power gets transferred to the wheels and your car starts to move.
And since that takes away so much power, your engine dies and you stop to move.
Everything in half a second, hence the "jump".
's quite funny. But only to watch.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5162 on: May 15, 2018, 06:27:42 AM »

Because when you start the engine the power gets transferred to the wheels and your car starts to move.

But if the clutch is engaged (by which I mean pedal pressed so that it’s possible to crank the vehicle), then the power does not transfer to the wheels as the drive shaft* gears are not engaged with any gear that goes to the wheels.

* Translate as needed for newer tech.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5163 on: May 15, 2018, 06:38:05 AM »
I do believe we are way off topic but I am v lost now! I have to press the clutch in to start both my manual vehicles and then I slowly release it to drive away. No jumping unless my shoe is wet and slips off :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5164 on: May 15, 2018, 06:55:05 AM »
This thread is so clutch

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5165 on: May 15, 2018, 07:07:32 AM »

But if the clutch is engaged (by which I mean pedal pressed so that it’s possible to crank the vehicle), then the power does not transfer to the wheels as the drive shaft* gears are not engaged with any gear that goes to the wheels.

Clutch "engaged" means the clutch pedal is out (not pressed). Pressing down on the clutch pedal disengages the clutch. But as Fresh Bread mentioned most cars won't let you start them without the clutch pedal pressed down.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5166 on: May 15, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »

Clutch "engaged" means the clutch pedal is out (not pressed). Pressing down on the clutch pedal disengages the clutch. But as Fresh Bread mentioned most cars won't let you start them without the clutch pedal pressed down.
I'm wondering if this is a US thing?  The only vehicle I've ever driven that wouldn't start unless the clutch pedal was pressed down is my lawn mower!

kayteemacbee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5167 on: May 15, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
I have no idea when pay day at work is until I get the emailed deposit notice.

Goals!! Haha. I'm not here (yet), but I love that someone else is! 😁

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5168 on: May 15, 2018, 07:47:43 AM »
This thread is so clutch
Stop trying to make clutch happen.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5169 on: May 15, 2018, 09:07:48 AM »
This thread is so clutch

on Wednesdays we wear pink

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #5170 on: May 15, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
This thread is so clutch

on Wednesdays we wear pink

You go Glen Coco!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5171 on: May 15, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »

I'm wondering if this is a US thing?  The only vehicle I've ever driven that wouldn't start unless the clutch pedal was pressed down is my lawn mower!

RWD: Yep, I knew something was wrong with my terminology, thanks.

PhilB: It may be US vehicles. I've driven roughly 20-25 manual vehicles in the US (owned 9 of them), and of those, the only one that would start without the clutch pedal fully depressed so that the clutch was disengaged was a backhoe. And it appeared to have been manufactured in the north of England.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #5172 on: May 15, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
To add to the foam -- US here, used to only drive manuals until 2 years ago. Only time I had to depress the clutch to start a car is if it was in gear. I did have to push in the brake to start, though. I mainly had Hondas and Toyotas, and one old Bronco.
My methodology:
Park: 1. Cut engine 2. slide it into first.  3. engage parking brake.

Start: 1. pop into neutral. 2. depress brake  3. start 4. Disengage parking brake and slide into gear. 5. Drive off into the sunset/sunrise.

To make this on topic: My mustachian problem is that I am sitting at home trying to recreate my old driving habits while all my non-mustachian friends are going out for ice cream, shopping, at the movies, or doing whatever it is consumers do on a Tuesday night.... ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5173 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:32 AM »
Did you know that a black clutch is actually orange?!

MPP: I keep appliances for so long that when I'm forced to replace one, it takes me far too long to adjust to the new one.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5174 on: May 16, 2018, 12:45:17 AM »
DH and I broke our bed last night, again. It is one of the places that holds the slatted base. DH repaired it before. Obviously when we lay together on the same half of the bed, we are too heavy for the tiny screws. Or the bed is just getting old. I think we bought it in '96 or '97.
I have now decided that I want to replace it as I don't like risking to break the bed.

DH is tall, so we need a 210 cm bed rather than the standard size 200 cm that Ikea sells. Maybe we can make something ourselves that can hold the base.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5175 on: May 16, 2018, 12:46:49 AM »
When watching "life hack" videos using things that "everyone has at home" they often use stuff I actually don't have at home :(

I'd love to do some Credit Card travel hacking but I never meet the minimum spend. My current country doesn't have many good deals anyways, but even when I lived in the USA I just couldn't think of a way to spend the minimums to get the crazy miles bonusses.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #5176 on: May 16, 2018, 01:45:58 AM »
DH and I broke our bed last night, again. It is one of the places that holds the slatted base. DH repaired it before. Obviously when we lay together on the same half of the bed, we are too heavy for the tiny screws. Or the bed is just getting old. I think we bought it in '96 or '97.
I have now decided that I want to replace it as I don't like risking to break the bed.

DH is tall, so we need a 210 cm bed rather than the standard size 200 cm that Ikea sells. Maybe we can make something ourselves that can hold the base.

So you "broke the bed last night"? That gives some pictures I am not sure I want inside my head...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5177 on: May 16, 2018, 01:55:25 AM »

It wasn't anything extreme. Just normal bed behaviour.
So you "broke the bed last night"? That gives some pictures I am not sure I want inside my head...

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #5178 on: May 16, 2018, 05:16:25 AM »

RWD: Yep, I knew something was wrong with my terminology, thanks.

PhilB: It may be US vehicles. I've driven roughly 20-25 manual vehicles in the US (owned 9 of them), and of those, the only one that would start without the clutch pedal fully depressed so that the clutch was disengaged was a backhoe. And it appeared to have been manufactured in the north of England.

Father has a Jeep YJs , they don't require the clutch to be in to start. 
There's a fixer upper episode where chip hops in one for the first time and almost hits joanna when it jumps forward
My 86 Toyota 4runner (daily driver) actually has a button on the dash you can use to override the safety, only vehicle I've ever heard of that has that

jordanread

« Reply #5179 on: May 16, 2018, 10:06:26 AM »
DH and I broke our bed last night, again.
[...]
Obviously [...] we are too heavy for the tiny screws.

I can't stop giggling. You've provided plenty of fodder for my inner 12 year old.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5180 on: May 16, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »

Giggity

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5181 on: May 16, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »
When watching "life hack" videos using things that "everyone has at home" they often use stuff I actually don't have at home :(

When I look up recipes for “bbq sauce from scratch” and the first ingredient is ketchup.... :(

jordanread

« Reply #5182 on: May 16, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »

When I look up recipes for “bbq sauce from scratch” and the first ingredient is ketchup.... :(

Worst smoothie ever.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5183 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »
Local supermarket seems to be phasing out the cheapo brand of oats to devote more shelf space to their store brand. Shelf is empty half of the time. They also increased the price. Not too long ago it was €0.39/lbs and now it's €0,45/lbs. Store brand is about €0,90/lbs. If I can't find a reasonably priced alternative elsewhere it seems the price of my breakfast is about to double. I did clear out the shelf today when they finally had some packages in stock (all 4 of them) so I'll have a few weeks to find an alternative.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5184 on: May 16, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
Local supermarket seems to be phasing out the cheapo brand of oats to devote more shelf space to their store brand. Shelf is empty half of the time. They also increased the price. Not too long ago it was €0.39/lbs and now it's €0,45/lbs. Store brand is about €0,90/lbs. If I can't find a reasonably priced alternative elsewhere it seems the price of my breakfast is about to double. I did clear out the shelf today when they finally had some packages in stock (all 4 of them) so I'll have a few weeks to find an alternative.

other stores? including any ethnic stores or bulk purchase?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5185 on: May 16, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
I can't find it again, but I just read an article about how ridiculous it is to expect anyone to live on $2k/month after taxes, housing, student loans and savings.

The other day, it was an article about how unfair student loans were after attending a private school and defaulting for a couple of years to attend a foreign university for grad school.

I do not understand my fellow citizens.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5186 on: May 16, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
My fatness is increasing as a consequence of purchasing (and feeling obligated to eat) too many snack bars from a salvage store at approx $0.01 per item.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5187 on: May 16, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »

The ketchup thing REALLY bothers me. I mean, if I wanted to use a pre-made sauce, I'd just buy BBQ sauce in a bottle. But clearly I don't, which is why I'm looking for recipes. I still have yet to find a recipe that doesn't start with ketchup (though, to be honest, I haven't bothered in a long while).

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5188 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »

The ketchup thing REALLY bothers me. I mean, if I wanted to use a pre-made sauce, I'd just buy BBQ sauce in a bottle. But clearly I don't, which is why I'm looking for recipes. I still have yet to find a recipe that doesn't start with ketchup (though, to be honest, I haven't bothered in a long while).
You could make the ketchup yourself

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5189 on: May 17, 2018, 01:45:41 AM »

You can, but it bothers me that ketchup is considered a scratch ingredient.  Like when people buy a box of cake mix and apply a can of frosting.  It's more effort than just buying a cake, but is it really from scratch?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5190 on: May 17, 2018, 05:19:44 AM »

You can, but it bothers me that ketchup is considered a scratch ingredient.  Like when people buy a box of cake mix and apply a can of frosting.  It's more effort than just buying a cake, but is it really from scratch?

That is annoying, I apologize. Sometimes you have to use a recipe within a recipe. "Cream of" soups are another one that frequently pops up that you can substitute.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #5191 on: May 17, 2018, 06:33:12 AM »
For the last year, I've been keeping up with an Amazon wish list of things I would like, but can't bring myself around to purchase myself. Anytime I'm asked for a gift idea for Christmas/Birthday, I refer them to the list. Well, since my graduation is coming up, a few people have asked what I would like and I referred them to my list. On the list at the time was a card game - ~25, board game ~fifty dollars, a box of tea around 9 dollars, and a handheld vacuum cleaner for the car for 19 dollars. Apparently none of these gifts were "good enough", so I added a new fit bit at 125. Thankfully one family member realized that I'm harder to shop for now, and just opted into cash... which I spent on a different but similar card game, which will be awesome because we'll be together this coming week and play that together. The other family member that prompted me to add something "better" likely got me the fitbit.

But, it just makes me wonder... why ask me what I would like, and then disapprove of my choices?

funobtainium

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5192 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:49 AM »
For the last year, I've been keeping up with an Amazon wish list of things I would like, but can't bring myself around to purchase myself. Anytime I'm asked for a gift idea for Christmas/Birthday, I refer them to the list. Well, since my graduation is coming up, a few people have asked what I would like and I referred them to my list. On the list at the time was a card game - ~25, board game ~fifty dollars, a box of tea around 9 dollars, and a handheld vacuum cleaner for the car for 19 dollars. Apparently none of these gifts were "good enough", so I added a new fit bit at 125. Thankfully one family member realized that I'm harder to shop for now, and just opted into cash... which I spent on a different but similar card game, which will be awesome because we'll be together this coming week and play that together. The other family member that prompted me to add something "better" likely got me the fitbit.

But, it just makes me wonder... why ask me what I would like, and then disapprove of my choices?

There's a funny knock-on effect of not having lists for things -- people just give you cash or a gift card.

We didn't register anywhere for our wedding (years ago) because I already had an apartment (husband was in the military) so we didn't actually NEED a toaster or towels or anything -- I had that stuff. Everyone gave us cash. (Though honestly, we didn't expect anything -- cards are nice.) And it paid for the rest of the reception and the honeymoon. Bonus!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5193 on: May 17, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »

You guys are all jerks.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5194 on: May 17, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »

There's a funny knock-on effect of not having lists for things -- people just give you cash or a gift card.

We didn't register anywhere for our wedding (years ago) because I already had an apartment (husband was in the military) so we didn't actually NEED a toaster or towels or anything -- I had that stuff. Everyone gave us cash. (Though honestly, we didn't expect anything -- cards are nice.) And it paid for the rest of the reception and the honeymoon. Bonus!
Yeah, I used to do wish-lists for Xmas, and encouraged my faimly to do the same. I also had an approximate dollar-amount in mind for each family member in order to keep things "fair" (this may be what the fitbit-purchaser was thinking of as well). Both practices led to overspending ("oops, I bought too much for brother X, got to buy another item for brother Y", etc.) and hard feelings (when someone didn't buy/gift what they were "supposed to" from someone else's list).

Now we just do gift cards and/or cash, combined with boxes & bags of consumables[1] and minor trinkets just to have something under the tree. We all know roughly what we all like, and it's stuff that we can use year after year.

[1 - mostly booze and chocolate :) ]

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #5195 on: May 17, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
Could have taken time off in April but waited until May. Why? salary increases went into effect May 1st. I get paid old PTO at new rate.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5196 on: May 17, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »
You guys are all jerks.

LOL

Poor, maligned ketchup.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:03:44 PM by Freckles »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5197 on: May 17, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »

Eg, we didn’t register for our wedding and did get a lot of cash gifts.  But we also got a lot of unsolicited straight up consumer junk with no way to exchange.  Probably depends on who your friends/family are though- my family has a tradition of regifting the same unopened packages of chocolate for decades.  Pity the fool who finally opens the 20 year old nut cluster

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5198 on: May 17, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »

You guys are all jerks.

Sorry, did you want to be mixed with honey and cumin and slathered all over my meat?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5199 on: May 17, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »

I make my own tartar sauce by blending mayo with a small amount of relish.

-- the relish is home made, but the mayo is store bought -- no sense making mayo from scratch --   Is that homemade or not?  HMMM.

--- I just looked up barbeque sauce recipes, and you are right, which is crazy because I have three cookbooks with barbeque sauce recipes in them and less than 40% of the recipes include ketchup (but one does use tomatoe soup. ick).  Most tomato based ones do start with tomato paste... is that ok? - and the 1977 canning book does use actual tomatoes for bbq sauce.