Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086788 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2600 on: April 09, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »
I wrote a trouble ticket to Mint about how the income minus spending = left over money thing on my budgets page is always wrong. The "spending" amount is always way off (by like 40%). It doesn't resemble budgeted or actual spending in any way. I wrote in to them and sent screenshots of the issue and explained everything and at the end emphasized how important it is to have an accurate idea of how much money you have left over in the budget each month. (Using the term "left over" because that's what their site specifically calls this number.)

So they got back to me today and the reply was all about how my bank account balance was not updating/incorrect. Asking what bank it is, when the problem started, etc. And I was completely baffled because this has zero relation to what I actually wrote to them about and I've never had a problem with that.

Then I realized that they must be assuming that anyone referring to knowing how much money is left over each month must be referring to their checking account balance. Because everyone has to spend all their money every month and would never save money from one month to the next (let alone keep a sizable emergency fund in cash).

FI-42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2601 on: April 09, 2016, 05:21:54 PM »
And can you please link to the wikipedia entry about the car class where you dont need a parking space in Tokyo? the ultra short ones. I always forget it.

Kei cars still need proof of parking (車庫証明) in Tokyo.  It varies from town to town but generally, anywhere with > 100,000 population would require proof of parking for Kei cars.  Standard cars require proof of parking regardless of population.

http://軽自動車専門ランキング.com/kcar-parking-certificate-1152/

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #2602 on: April 12, 2016, 07:47:42 PM »
Had a coupon for $5 off $15 purchase.  Spent about 15minutes looking for something that I would buy even at 1/3 off!  Found closeouts on some granola type cereal that came to less than $2/box before discount but there were only 7 boxes.  Caved in and bought a couple low cost bottles of tonic water to go with my gin to cross the $15 mark.  I felt so used!  $10.26+tax and out the door.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #2603 on: April 12, 2016, 08:50:38 PM »
I have weather envy. I see all these Mustachians who don't have or refuse to use a dryer. 

I put the sheets out on the line this week. They were out for 8 hours but were still damp when they came in and I had to put them in the dryer after all. The cold fingers before and after weren't worth it. AND it's started to snow again.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2604 on: April 12, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
Mpp:  when you become too good at challenges.

In December I decided instead of buying new clothing for a big trip this summer I would lose a few pounds so my really old clothes would fit again. I cut back on snacks and increased my walking (saving money there, too) but now everything is too big and I have to buy new clothes.

Im not really upset about it but find it ironic that all of my work to avoid swim suit shopping resulted in my swim suit shopping, just a few sizes smaller.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2605 on: April 13, 2016, 01:48:18 AM »
Mpp:  when you become too good at challenges.

In December I decided instead of buying new clothing for a big trip this summer I would lose a few pounds so my really old clothes would fit again. I cut back on snacks and increased my walking (saving money there, too) but now everything is too big and I have to buy new clothes.

Im not really upset about it but find it ironic that all of my work to avoid swim suit shopping resulted in my swim suit shopping, just a few sizes smaller.

Haha. Awesome

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2606 on: April 13, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »
I have weather envy. I see all these Mustachians who don't have or refuse to use a dryer. 

I put the sheets out on the line this week. They were out for 8 hours but were still damp when they came in and I had to put them in the dryer after all. The cold fingers before and after weren't worth it. AND it's started to snow again.

You're not alone.  Do you have any idea how much pollen wet clothes would absorb in the spring time?   That's just what my sinuses need, concentrated pollen all over me with no chance of escape. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2607 on: April 13, 2016, 09:44:28 AM »
My condo association had to do a fairly large and expensive repair project, and will be charging us all for a special assessment.  In order to pay for it, the association took out a loan (at a higher interest rate than I am able to obtain for a loan myself), and I am forced to pay my portion off with some monthly payment schedule, instead of just writing one big check and avoiding paying the extra interest.

Wow, I'd be fighting them on that. I'd be doing the math on what the interest would be on your portion and then telling them I'm paying my portion, minus the interest, all in one lump sum. This is yet another sad example of the fact that the average person thinks that paying interest is just part of life.

Agreed. But, Idk if they would see/accept  your side of it. Because of the interest the association has agreed upon to pay. At the least , I could see them accepting the entire lump sum (with the interest) .
Seems like something the condo community would have discussed first. But maybe they did(?) And decided for the typically monthly plan .

If the condo owner pays a lump sum, then the condo assoc. should make a lump sum payment
on the principal and there will be no interest on that portion.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #2608 on: April 13, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »

You're not alone.  Do you have any idea how much pollen wet clothes would absorb in the spring time?   That's just what my sinuses need, concentrated pollen all over me with no chance of escape.
Buy an extra large indoor drying rack.  I have mine for over 30 years (a college graduation present from my grandmother - no kidding).  I never use a dryer.  Mine will hold a large load of clothes.  It is especially good in the winter time as it helps to humidify the dry air.  And my clothes last longer.  Of course if you have a large family this technique may be a problem, but for a single guy like me it works great, and keeps costs way down.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2609 on: April 13, 2016, 12:23:25 PM »
Buy an extra large indoor drying rack.  I have mine for over 30 years (a college graduation present from my grandmother - no kidding).  I never use a dryer.  Mine will hold a large load of clothes.  It is especially good in the winter time as it helps to humidify the dry air.  And my clothes last longer.  Of course if you have a large family this technique may be a problem, but for a single guy like me it works great, and keeps costs way down.

I would actually recommend multiple smaller drying racks over one large one. I have three: a medium-sized one I rescued from the garbage, a small one I bought for $10 at a big box store, and an extra small one I bought from a salvage store for $5. Typically, I only need the medium one for a standard load, but if I do more than one load or have things like sheets and towels, the others come out. And the smaller two fit in my bathtub, so if I do hand wash that's soaking wet, I just put the rack in the tub and put the clothes on it soaking wet.

I do think 8 hours is fairly optimistic for drying time, and I don't even live in a particularly humid place. It usually takes 24-48 hours for clothes to dry on my indoor rack.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2610 on: April 13, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »

Thanks to allergies and asthma, I can't do outdoor drying, ever. Not if I want to breathe.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #2611 on: April 13, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »

I would actually recommend multiple smaller drying racks over one large one. I have three: a medium-sized one I rescued from the garbage, a small one I bought for $10 at a big box store, and an extra small one I bought from a salvage store for $5. Typically, I only need the medium one for a standard load, but if I do more than one load or have things like sheets and towels, the others come out. And the smaller two fit in my bathtub, so if I do hand wash that's soaking wet, I just put the rack in the tub and put the clothes on it soaking wet.

I do think 8 hours is fairly optimistic for drying time, and I don't even live in a particularly humid place. It usually takes 24-48 hours for clothes to dry on my indoor rack.
Another option I use is in the winter I have a oil radiator heater keeping my bedroom warm.  I will place various clothes on it for a short time and swap out to speed up the drying.  I can usually (in the winter) get a whole load dry in 4-ish hours using the rack and radiator combo.  Although I prefer to hang and let dry overnight as its less work.   And if you have any wicking athletic clothes (I do) they dry extra fast.  Another technique to speed up drying is to run a fan over the drying rack.  Its not often, but when I need clothes faster I will add this to the operation.  Using all three methods I can be finished and folded a load in 3 hours or less.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2612 on: April 13, 2016, 06:08:36 PM »

I second this.  I've been line drying over a decade - never outside.  I do it in the basement 9 months a year, in the attic in the humid summer.  The added bonus is that clothes can stay on the racks for days. 

Also, you don't have to stick to traditional drying racks.  I use an old CD racks, an old baby gate, ropes strung across an area.  For a while I had an artificial Christimas tree truck and stuck hangers in the slots.  I hung socks on the hangers. 

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2613 on: April 14, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
I love this place.  I felt a bit odd buying my second drying rack, but I'm right at home here.

I wash clothes when my kids are away (3 days) and one drying rack in their room and one in the kitchen (both of the rooms in my house that get the most sun).  Clothes get put away when the mood hits. :)

I also use ALL the chairs in my house.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2614 on: April 14, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »
, ropes strung across an area.  For a while I had an artificial Christimas tree truck and stuck hangers in the slots. 
In less advanced (if you want to say that) parts of the world that is called a clothesline, you may guess why that is the case ;)

Where I live its normal (as in always) that multi-household-rent buildings have big and long metallic "goals" where you (and several others at the same time) can knot your line on.

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2615 on: April 15, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »
I love this thread.

I recently signed up for the Chase Freedom credit card to get the $150 bonus for $500 spend in first 3 months. You also get $25 for adding an authorized user if they make 1 purchase in the first 3 months.

i planned to put the lowest-possible purchase on the second authorized user card to get the $25. I set up a coffee meeting with a friend who works at an institution I want to get hired at. He picked the coffee spot. To my dismay, the place was cash-only b/c of CC machine issues. I was looking forward to using the card all week. Now I have to find another almost free item to get the rewards. I quit drinking coffee (cutting my almost $1500/year latte habit. Have to wait for a small cheap purchase but I pretty much buy nothing. Darn.

Anyone want to grab a coffee on me? I'm in NYC :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2616 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »
I love this thread.

I recently signed up for the Chase Freedom credit card to get the $150 bonus for $500 spend in first 3 months. You also get $25 for adding an authorized user if they make 1 purchase in the first 3 months.

i planned to put the lowest-possible purchase on the second authorized user card to get the $25. I set up a coffee meeting with a friend who works at an institution I want to get hired at. He picked the coffee spot. To my dismay, the place was cash-only b/c of CC machine issues. I was looking forward to using the card all week. Now I have to find another almost free item to get the rewards. I quit drinking coffee (cutting my almost $1500/year latte habit. Have to wait for a small cheap purchase but I pretty much buy nothing. Darn.

Just buy a $1 Amazon gc.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2617 on: April 15, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »
I felt a bit odd buying my second drying rack, but I'm right at home here.

I need to add a second drying rack to my shopping list, too. One is not cutting it.

And I'm just me, I don't even have any kids, so I really don't know how you were making it work with 3 people's clothes to dry!

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2618 on: April 15, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »
I love this thread.

Just buy a $1 Amazon gc.

I've actually never bought anything on Amazon. Didn't even know that was a possibility. Thank you very much sir.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2619 on: April 16, 2016, 03:59:52 AM »
I felt a bit odd buying my second drying rack, but I'm right at home here.

I need to add a second drying rack to my shopping list, too. One is not cutting it.

And I'm just me, I don't even have any kids, so I really don't know how you were making it work with 3 people's clothes to dry!

Check out the Frost drying rack from Ikea. I saw it recommended on the BIFL Reddit and bought one recently after not-enough-drying-space frustrations. (We dry one load a week indoors.) It's great! I can easily fit an entire load of laundry on it and you can put it up in different configurations if you have less laundry and less space. It is stable and easy for one person to manage. Redditors suggested using the outer rails to hang clothes on hangers for even more space but we haven't needed to do that yet. (Just make sure you do it evenly on both sides for stability.)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2620 on: April 16, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »
Check out the Frost drying rack from Ikea.

+1 on the Frost. Easy to use, stable, holds a ton of stuff. We have damp, damp winters here, and I have to leave stuff hanging for a while and make sure there's good air circulation, so I set up this rack in the hallway and it's good for a full load (although I hang my jeans elsewhere, because they take a LONG time to dry).

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #2621 on: April 16, 2016, 06:16:01 AM »

Thanks to allergies and asthma, I can't do outdoor drying, ever. Not if I want to breathe.

I have allergies and asthma and I line dry outside in the northeast.  I don't think it's been worse since I've started doing it (but really, I've never been very good at determining cause and effect when it comes to my health).  When everything is mostly dry (maybe just collars, cuffs and the seams of jeans are still damp), I put it in the dryer for about 10 minutes.  My SO asked why I do that.  I told him, "To get rid of any dust or pollen the laundry picked up outside".  He replied, "Well, either that or you're cooking it onto the clothes."

So my question is:  Am I getting rid of the pollen by putting the clothes in the dryer for a few minute?  Or am I 'cooking it on'?  And if I'm cooking it on, does that kill the allergen?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2622 on: April 16, 2016, 07:49:02 AM »
Not sure, but I know for dust allergies that dust mites and dust allergens are different things. Dust mites can be killed by heat or cold but the allergens are still there until you physically get them off (e.g. Hoovering) so you would still have symptoms. You don't "kill" allergens because they are not alive. My reckoning is that you are definitely not making it worse (at the very least you are just mixing the allergens around and putting them back onto the clothes) but depending on how the dryer works in terms of extraction you may not be making it better.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2623 on: April 16, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
Back on topic...

Adjusted my tax withholdings last year so I wouldn't get such a big refund. Learned today that we will have to pay $2,400 to the U.S. Treasury, but still getting a state refund of about $1,000.  Celebrated because I didn't give Uncle Sam an interest free loan this year!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #2624 on: May 12, 2016, 05:43:04 PM »
So, not exactly a problem, but a weird combination of feeling poor and rich at the same time. We were making a spread sheet to track where our money is and how it is allocated. We are doing a decent job of saving, but for all the money we have in Vanguard and elsewhere, only $376 was free. The rest is earmarked for retirement or college. I felt a little like I failed the $400 test. My husband suggested we maybe keep a little more liquid in the future.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2625 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
So, not exactly a problem, but a weird combination of feeling poor and rich at the same time. We were making a spread sheet to track where our money is and how it is allocated. We are doing a decent job of saving, but for all the money we have in Vanguard and elsewhere, only $376 was free. The rest is earmarked for retirement or college. I felt a little like I failed the $400 test. My husband suggested we maybe keep a little more liquid in the future.

Sure, but if you HAD to, you could pull money from one of your savings buckets.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #2626 on: May 12, 2016, 07:38:44 PM »
Yeah, of course. That's why I said it wasn't really a problem, more like the psychological impact of partitioning up my money was more profound than I realized. Definitely a bit of cognitive dissonance in looking at reasonable account balances, but feeling like I had very very little.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2627 on: May 12, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
Probably already been said, but my #1 mustachian people problem is without consumer debt I no longer have the satisfaction of seeing it get paid down so my gross vs net worth ratio doesn't improve nearly as quickly anymore since I don't plan to pay off the mortgage early.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2628 on: May 12, 2016, 07:51:33 PM »
My MPP is that my brother-in-law is on Wheel of Fortune tomorrow night, but we long ago eliminated cable (or any way to watch live tv), and we're too cheap to go out to a sports bar and demand that they show it. Fortunately, some friends who still have real TV came through, and we'll get a nice cheap bit of socializing in too. #mustachianwin

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2629 on: May 12, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »
Yeah, of course. That's why I said it wasn't really a problem, more like the psychological impact of partitioning up my money was more profound than I realized. Definitely a bit of cognitive dissonance in looking at reasonable account balances, but feeling like I had very very little.

I get that, too. I was recently moaning about how I am going to afford this medication my doctor wants me to try ($135/mo copays) and then I realized that the only effect it would have on my life is to reduce my savings rate, and I just have to change the amount I'm auto-transferring to Vanguard every paycheck. (Although I'm still going to try to find a less expensive way to treat this, because FFS you should not have to pay $1600/yr for a 15+ year old, extremely common medication when you are already on a $7000/yr medical plan. Grrr)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2630 on: May 13, 2016, 05:06:03 AM »
I have bought my clothes second hand, mostly from eBay, for so long that I am not sure what clothes size I am in shops but I know all my measurements off by heart.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2631 on: May 13, 2016, 06:38:33 AM »
My Mom sent me a rather generous gift.  I've had a rough time with things lately, and live far away. My sister lives close to her - so my Mom often takes my sister out to dinner, or her kids to an amusement park etc.  So Mom said she sent this to just even stuff up and as a way to say hi.  She tells me "I just had some extra money lying around."  (Which totally cracks me up.)

Anyhow, the note that came with it was "Just sent this to you for your summer vacations because I was thinking of you. This money is NOT for saving, investing, or paying off any existing purchases. You must spend it."

I called her and told her there was no way she could enforce that, and she said she already figured out how, and she wants pictures of what we spend it on. She recommends I use some of it on taxi's instead of bus fare when we are in Montreal, for instance.

And yes, I did send her a photo of my lunch yesterday. I spent $7.

jordanread

« Reply #2632 on: May 13, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »
My Mom sent me a rather generous gift.  I've had a rough time with things lately, and live far away. My sister lives close to her - so my Mom often takes my sister out to dinner, or her kids to an amusement park etc.  So Mom said she sent this to just even stuff up and as a way to say hi.  She tells me "I just had some extra money lying around."  (Which totally cracks me up.)

Anyhow, the note that came with it was "Just sent this to you for your summer vacations because I was thinking of you. This money is NOT for saving, investing, or paying off any existing purchases. You must spend it."

I called her and told her there was no way she could enforce that, and she said she already figured out how, and she wants pictures of what we spend it on. She recommends I use some of it on taxi's instead of bus fare when we are in Montreal, for instance.

And yes, I did send her a photo of my lunch yesterday. I spent $7.

My mom tried that at one point with a birthday gift. I spent it as requested, and could have sent her a picture...I suppose I could have told her I bought a boat, instead of a part of shitloads of companies.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2633 on: May 13, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
My birthday and my wife's are just one day apart, which means we typically get presents addressed to both of us. This year we got a check from my MIL. The accompanying card read "Paul & $wife_name, do NOT save this money! It is for spending, go get dinner or something".

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2634 on: May 13, 2016, 08:38:39 AM »
My birthday and my wife's are just one day apart, which means we typically get presents addressed to both of us. This year we got a check from my MIL. The accompanying card read "Paul & $wife_name, do NOT save this money! It is for spending, go get dinner or something".
DH and I get the same admonition from my in-laws with anniversary gifts. :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2635 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:46 AM »
Just spend it on your groceries and save the grocery money.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2636 on: May 13, 2016, 08:56:13 AM »
Oh, it's not like we're earmarking it or making special plans to move up our next dinner. Money is fungible.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2637 on: May 13, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »

There is no way that would fly.  As I said, she has requested photos to prove the money was wasted. 

I mean, maybe if we got fancy steaks or something.

I did actually tell her that I might go and waste a thousand dollars, but if I do, I guarantee it will be a different thousand. This money is getting saved.  Because you can't tell people what to do with their gifts.

We might be able to come up with something random to spend half of that on, but that's way too much money to spend without a plan on short notice. Sadly, I already bought the plane tickets. She has said it isn't to reimburse for that. This has to be new spending.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:01:03 AM by iowajes »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2638 on: May 13, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »

My mom tried that at one point with a birthday gift. I spent it as requested, and could have sent her a picture...I suppose I could have told her I bought a boat, instead of a part of shitloads of companies.

My Mom knows me well enough that investing was taken off the table.

jordanread

« Reply #2639 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »

<innocent look>

Investing? No, I just really wanted to splurge and own some companies. It's not really my fault if my frivolous off the cuff spending happens to provide a return. That would be like banning me from buying a bowflex or jump rope and complaining when I get more fit.
</innocent look>

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2640 on: May 13, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »

<innocent look>

Investing? No, I just really wanted to splurge and own some companies. It's not really my fault if my frivolous off the cuff spending happens to provide a return. That would be like banning me from buying a bowflex or jump rope and complaining when I get more fit.
</innocent look>

Buy shares in a boat company like Royal Caribbean or whatever ;).

jordanread

« Reply #2641 on: May 13, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »

<innocent look>

</innocent look>

I like your thinking.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #2642 on: May 13, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »

<innocent look>

</innocent look>

I like your thinking.

I was thinking buy an index fund and say "oh I bought some Apple thing."

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2643 on: May 13, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »
My MPP is that my brother-in-law is on Wheel of Fortune tomorrow night, but we long ago eliminated cable (or any way to watch live tv), and we're too cheap to go out to a sports bar and demand that they show it. Fortunately, some friends who still have real TV came through, and we'll get a nice cheap bit of socializing in too. #mustachianwin

Is your brother-in-law the guy named Jared?  He is hilarious!

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #2644 on: May 13, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »
I discovered that my company has a cap on Auto withdrawals from my paycheck for Roth's and 401ks it's 25%....

Balls....

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2645 on: May 13, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »
I discovered that my company has a cap on Auto withdrawals from my paycheck for Roth's and 401ks it's 25%....

Balls....

I'm pretty sure that limit is artificially set by your employer.  At my place of employment it used to be 50%, but then they changed it to 60% when the company got acquired by another company.  Talk with HR about it, and see if you can get them to raise the cap!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2646 on: May 14, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »
MPP: The morning after a fun night out with friends, when you have to exactly remember all of your small cash expenditures from the night before to enter into Mint. ("Did I leave a $2 tip? Or $3??")

Also MPP: regretting the wine I drank, not because of a hangover but because it was $7 and I mostly bought it because of peer pressure.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2647 on: May 14, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »

That's him! My sister is his "hilarious" wife. :) Apparently they spent a long time thinking of what word he could use to describe her that would surprise Pat.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2648 on: May 14, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »

That's him! My sister is his "hilarious" wife. :) Apparently they spent a long time thinking of what word he could use to describe her that would surprise Pat.

Haha, I love it!  It was a great introduction, and he even prompted Pat to respond with funny line!

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2649 on: May 14, 2016, 11:30:12 PM »

... Anyhow, the note that came with it was "Just sent this to you for your summer vacations because I was thinking of you. This money is NOT for saving, investing, or paying off any existing purchases. You must spend it."

My mom is the exact same. She literally said she has some money she wants to give me but I won't get it until I decide what to spend it on. It's been a month. I'm still not sure what to ask for.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!