Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086752 times)

TrMama

Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8900 on: October 26, 2021, 02:05:20 PM »
My latest problem is that apparently I only know how to shovel money into my accounts. I seem to suck at the mechanics of spending large amounts.

We had a heat pump installed in August that cost $20K. NBD I thought, we have plenty of cash in a savings account. I can either increase the credit limit on my cc (which is currently only $10K) or do an etransfer. Except that when I tried to increase my credit limit, the bank never picked up the phone and just left me as caller #3 on hold. No matter what time of day I called, or how long I waited, I was still always caller #3. Their online mechanism to request an increase had a similar outcome. It's been 2 months and I still haven't heard back about my online request.

That's fine I thought, I'll just send an etransfer for the entire amount. I know I've done those before for larger payments. Except apparently both banks we deal with now have a limit of only $3K/transfer/24h. That's a lot of transfers for a $20K invoice, and each one costs $1.

In the end I think I did something like 4 etransfers (from 2 different accounts) and then paid the balance on the cc.

The whole episode was kind of embarrassing and a massive PITA.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8901 on: October 26, 2021, 04:50:19 PM »
That's fine I thought, I'll just send an etransfer for the entire amount. I know I've done those before for larger payments. Except apparently both banks we deal with now have a limit of only $3K/transfer/24h. That's a lot of transfers for a $20K invoice, and each one costs $1.

Sometimes banks will increase the transfer limit either temporarily or permanently if you call and ask.  Assuming you can get a hold of anyone.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8902 on: October 26, 2021, 05:46:08 PM »
You have to pay money to transfer money? Time to get a new bank. I’ve transferred $25,000 or $50,000 at a time and had zero issues or costs.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8903 on: October 26, 2021, 09:29:43 PM »
My latest problem is that apparently I only know how to shovel money into my accounts. I seem to suck at the mechanics of spending large amounts.

We had a heat pump installed in August that cost $20K. NBD I thought, we have plenty of cash in a savings account. I can either increase the credit limit on my cc (which is currently only $10K) or do an etransfer. Except that when I tried to increase my credit limit, the bank never picked up the phone and just left me as caller #3 on hold. No matter what time of day I called, or how long I waited, I was still always caller #3. Their online mechanism to request an increase had a similar outcome. It's been 2 months and I still haven't heard back about my online request.

In the end I think I did something like 4 etransfers (from 2 different accounts) and then paid the balance on the cc.

One thing to look into is whether the limits vary depending on which institution initiates the transfer.  “Push” transfers often have different limits than “Pull” transfers.

For example, when I initiate a transfer from USAA to Schwab, there’s a $5k or $10k limit. However, if I initiate that same transfer from Schwab, there is no limit.  Try setting up your accounts from the other institution before you change firms.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8904 on: October 26, 2021, 09:47:56 PM »
Maybe this is more of a success than a problem...we are going to spend the very extended holidays with family. With the shipping delays of late and the thought "why would I buy that to just let it sit in the house while we are traveling??" We are evidently preceding our travels with a buy nothing and eat down your pantry month.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8905 on: October 27, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »
Maybe this is more of a success than a problem...we are going to spend the very extended holidays with family. With the shipping delays of late and the thought "why would I buy that to just let it sit in the house while we are traveling??" We are evidently preceding our travels with a buy nothing and eat down your pantry month.

My wife and I shared a car when we lived in Hawaii. When we moved from Hawaii to Colorado in August 2019, we decided to get a 2nd car. My mom let me borrow her 3rd car while I looked for a 2nd car to purchase. My mom's 3rd car wasn't in great shape, but I didn't care. It bought me some time to find something that I really liked. I got my own car in January 2020. It was a 2007 Pontiac Vibe with 153,000 miles for $2750.

In October/November my uncle heard that I was driving my mom's 3rd car. He immediately assumed that I was broke and without options, so he kindly offered me the opportunity to buy one of his old car's for $5,000. I replied with, "no thanks". He was then really confused on why I wouldn't accept his kind gesture. 

TrMama

« Reply #8906 on: October 27, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »

One thing to look into is whether the limits vary depending on which institution initiates the transfer.  “Push” transfers often have different limits than “Pull” transfers.

For example, when I initiate a transfer from USAA to Schwab, there’s a $5k or $10k limit. However, if I initiate that same transfer from Schwab, there is no limit.  Try setting up your accounts from the other institution before you change firms.

These were Canadian etransfers. They're pushed from my bank account to an email address. You include a security question and the recipient has to answer it correctly to access the money. Clearly enough people have been swindled this way that the banks decided to limit the damage.

What I should have done was call the HVAC company to get their bank account# so I could do a proper bank transfer as you described above.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #8907 on: October 27, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
My MPP is that I’ve never before heard of someone having a 3rd car. Well, yes, soccer stars collecting 19 sports cars and whatever, but not someone’s mom having one to lend.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #8908 on: October 27, 2021, 10:05:23 AM »
My MPP is that I’ve never before heard of someone having a 3rd car. Well, yes, soccer stars collecting 19 sports cars and whatever, but not someone’s mom having one to lend.

My boss has three cars in case one of his children (who live in other States) need to borrow one...

My parents are disappointed that my new house doesn't have any guest rooms. If every relative on both sides of the family visit at the same time, the empty bedrooms at my parents' and grandparents' houses might be inadequate.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8909 on: October 27, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »
Around me, in many families, one parent drives to work, the kids drive a second car to school or activities, and the other parent either drives to work or is running errands.  Heck, even our family is finally succumbing to the convenience of having three cars.  Now, before you strip me of my Mustache Card, you have to realize that both of our current vehicles have over 200,000 miles, and the car we are likely to acquire also has over 200,000 miles and we are getting it for very little money, and will likely only see 2000-3000 miles per year.

Now, if it's just one person owning three cars, then yeah, that seems facepunch-worthy.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8910 on: October 27, 2021, 12:58:01 PM »

My father had 7 cars when he passed away in the 80's. He was a "car guy" and he liked fixing them up and they were his hobby. 2 of the cars could be attributed to family members. One to pull the trailer. The rest... for fun!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8911 on: October 27, 2021, 01:01:03 PM »
My MPP today is that I think I'm about to be offered a job that I really, really don't want and I'm not sure what the best way to turn it down will be without burning bridges that could affect the job I really do want in the future.

I actually just went through this. My approach was (1) complete honesty with those involved who I could be totally honest with and (2) telling everyone else that I'm deeply committed to A, B and C, which makes the job focused on X, Y and Z a poor fit for me.

I ended up getting the job I really wanted, at a 20% raise too. Which creates the MPP that I'm now on a faster track to FIRE but in a job I could see myself as being a SWAMI in for the first time ever.

Turning it down ended up being just a couple of clicks.  If anyone contacts me about it then I'll explain that I'm happy where I'm at.  I probably shouldn't mention than I'd rather gouge my own eyeballs out with a rusty spoon than do what this job entailed. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #8912 on: October 27, 2021, 04:07:59 PM »

My father had 7 cars when he passed away in the 80's. He was a "car guy" and he liked fixing them up and they were his hobby. 2 of the cars could be attributed to family members. One to pull the trailer. The rest... for fun!

My dad was also a car guy. He justified his process of buying any car he could score for a deal and fixing it up by loaning them to teenagers (we had a glut of them when I was in high school) in the extended family or anyone who had a car in the shop. These were not typical "fun" or "glamorous" cars. I remember a Gremlin and a Caprice. But it was fun for him!

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #8913 on: October 28, 2021, 12:22:01 AM »
These were Canadian etransfers. They're pushed from my bank account to an email address. You include a security question and the recipient has to answer it correctly to access the money. Clearly enough people have been swindled this way that the banks decided to limit the damage.

What I should have done was call the HVAC company to get their bank account# so I could do a proper bank transfer as you described above.

If it is any consolation, even business accounts have dollar limits for online transfers. Our corporate account at RBC had to request a code-generating Fob so as to transfer more than 10k at a time.

For larger amounts I am close enough to a branch to walk in with ID + account numbers and initiate a transfer. I haven't tried this between different banks, though.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8914 on: October 28, 2021, 04:38:19 AM »

Sometimes banks will increase the transfer limit either temporarily or permanently if you call and ask.  Assuming you can get a hold of anyone.
Here it takes about 10 minutes and annoying 3 SMS to get the limit to wherever you want it.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8915 on: November 02, 2021, 12:42:06 PM »
My MPP: when I get a bill from the condo property manager, the value for the repair doesn't bother me. It irritates the heck out of my noggin that the work write-up is incomplete, doesn't state clearly the problem-cause-resolution. So I have to make a couple of calls to get the full picture. I hate wasting time chasing for info. (I'm a non-resident owner, aka landlord.)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8916 on: November 10, 2021, 01:18:04 PM »
DH wants to transfer shares to me and have me take advantage of a brokerage bonus. We got put on hold a LOT before we finally figured out how to transfer shares from his account to mine at the same institution, so that I can then transfer from my name to my name between institutions because the receiving institution says it just isn't possible to get shares from his main brokerage to my account at their firm. Over on bogleheads, people talk about gifting appreciated shares to adult children in lower tax brackets as being easy :(

Yes, that's it. It has taken us at least two hours of work, when you include time spent on hold, to get a brokerage bonus. Imma go hula hoop off the stress.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8917 on: November 10, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »
DH wants to transfer shares to me and have me take advantage of a brokerage bonus. We got put on hold a LOT before we finally figured out how to transfer shares from his account to mine at the same institution, so that I can then transfer from my name to my name between institutions because the receiving institution says it just isn't possible to get shares from his main brokerage to my account at their firm. Over on bogleheads, people talk about gifting appreciated shares to adult children in lower tax brackets as being easy :(

Yes, that's it. It has taken us at least two hours of work, when you include time spent on hold, to get a brokerage bonus. Imma go hula hoop off the stress.

Yeah, I think it really depends on the specific brokerage.  When I wanted to transfer shares to my wife I had to either get some forms notarized first, or the easy way which was to open a joint account, and transfer my shares to the joint account and then out to her account.  That way all transfers have at least one matching name on the account.  Even this approach wouldn't work with strict brokerages as transfers out of a joint account into an individual account technically mean removing one spouse from ownership.  Some brokerages will require exact name matches on both accounts or additional documentation.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8918 on: November 15, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
My parents had come up with the idea that they want to transfer their house to me and my siblings. I told them it would be a major pain in the ass for us to own a third of the house and thought they could keep the house in their name. Even if they pay everything I don’t want to deal with a co-ownership earlier then necessary so I think I managed to talk them out of it.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8919 on: November 15, 2021, 12:38:26 PM »
My parents had come up with the idea that they want to transfer their house to me and my siblings. I told them it would be a major pain in the ass for us to own a third of the house and thought they could keep the house in their name. Even if they pay everything I don’t want to deal with a co-ownership earlier then necessary so I think I managed to talk them out of it.

Assuming you're in the US this is also a bad idea from a tax perspective.  If they give it to you you get their presumably low cost basis so more capital gains tax will be owed when you eventually sell it.  If you inherit property the cost basis resets to its worth at the date of death.  And by "you" I mean either you individually or you the siblings. 

Some state have a transfer on death option for real estate.  That might work if you're in the right state.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8920 on: November 15, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »

This is a bad idea for many different reasons.  My grandparents did this to my parents with the best of intentions.

To keep a long story short, today three siblings each own a third of each others houses (two of which include of cattle ranches).  We went from a very close and loving extended family to a family that sues each other and vows to never talk to each other again.  Yet they all still co-own the property that everyone lives in.  It will now be up to my generation to untangle this because my parents generation will never sit down and talk about it.

There's no quicker way to destroy a family than to jointly own property with them.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8921 on: November 16, 2021, 09:08:39 AM »
Doing some home renovations and charged about $4k on cc for building materials.  I wanted to balance my checking account and square everything away so I paid the bill early, but the auto payment ended up going through about 2 weeks later for the full amount.  Now my checking account balance is out of whack, and I have a -$4k balance on one of my cards.  Now I have to go specifically request they pay me instead of just leaving the balance.  Or just leaving it for like 6 months until they automatically do it.

I contacted BoA via online chat and they refused to refund the overpayment to my checking.  They said I have to call in and it can't be done online.  The account is in my wife's name so I can't call and impersonate her over the phone, so she'll have to do it.  So I guess we are just waiting the 6 months for them to automatically do it because that will probably happen before I can get her to call in.

MagneticNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8922 on: November 16, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »
Doing some home renovations and charged about $4k on cc for building materials.  I wanted to balance my checking account and square everything away so I paid the bill early, but the auto payment ended up going through about 2 weeks later for the full amount.  Now my checking account balance is out of whack, and I have a -$4k balance on one of my cards.  Now I have to go specifically request they pay me instead of just leaving the balance.  Or just leaving it for like 6 months until they automatically do it.

I contacted BoA via online chat and they refused to refund the overpayment to my checking.  They said I have to call in and it can't be done online.  The account is in my wife's name so I can't call and impersonate her over the phone, so she'll have to do it.  So I guess we are just waiting the 6 months for them to automatically do it because that will probably happen before I can get her to call in.

>> The account is in my wife's name so I can't call and impersonate her over the phone, so she'll have to do it. 

You'd be surprised! I took over payments on an account for my opposite-gendered parent, and when I was told they had to call themselves, I just called back and confidently claimed to be them. They did ask about my pronouns, but weren't willing to tell me I had an exceptionally feminine voice for a person named Paul.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8923 on: November 16, 2021, 09:44:39 AM »
I just make the call and at the appropriate point, hand the phone to my wife, who identifies herself and tells the operator to deal with me.  Works every time.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8924 on: November 16, 2021, 09:53:14 AM »
I just make the call and at the appropriate point, hand the phone to my wife, who identifies herself and tells the operator to deal with me.  Works every time.

I do this too, and have sometimes been able to get myself down as a named "authorised person" for Mr SLTD's accounts so he doesn't even have to be there after the first time. It's REALLY handy. He's down as a named authorised person for me at the GP too, I think, so he can make appointments for me and deal with prescriptions. Rarely used, but really worth doing.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8925 on: November 16, 2021, 11:34:54 AM »

Assuming you're in the US this is also a bad idea from a tax perspective.  If they give it to you you get their presumably low cost basis so more capital gains tax will be owed when you eventually sell it.  If you inherit property the cost basis resets to its worth at the date of death.  And by "you" I mean either you individually or you the siblings. 

Some state have a transfer on death option for real estate.  That might work if you're in the right state.
I am not US based so from a tax perspective it doesn’t matter more then that we have to file the taxed for our third. The house is in an area were the prices are low and my parents built the house.

This is a bad idea for many different reasons.  My grandparents did this to my parents with the best of intentions.

To keep a long story short, today three siblings each own a third of each others houses (two of which include of cattle ranches).  We went from a very close and loving extended family to a family that sues each other and vows to never talk to each other again.  Yet they all still co-own the property that everyone lives in.  It will now be up to my generation to untangle this because my parents generation will never sit down and talk about it.

There's no quicker way to destroy a family than to jointly own property with them.

In this case it would be easier because there are only one house on the property. I think you are a lot more happy to sue people in US compared to Sweden. Every coowner can force a sale of a property through the court so you don’t actually need to sue anybody. When the time comes I will probably give my third to my siblings because I don’t want to deal with the hassle of co-ownership. And I am the lawyer in the family.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8926 on: November 16, 2021, 12:11:02 PM »

>> The account is in my wife's name so I can't call and impersonate her over the phone, so she'll have to do it. 

You'd be surprised! I took over payments on an account for my opposite-gendered parent, and when I was told they had to call themselves, I just called back and confidently claimed to be them. They did ask about my pronouns, but weren't willing to tell me I had an exceptionally feminine voice for a person named Paul.

I never did it but I always figured it was a viable way in an emergency.  I’m in CA so large companies are probably wary of discrimination based on gender identity.  At some point banks just have to give up subjective sound of your voice as a security measure (although fidelity uses AI voice analysis to compare you to previous calls)

That said, my wife has a gender neutral nickname so depending on how the account is set up it’s super easy for me to handle stuff.

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #8927 on: November 16, 2021, 10:34:55 PM »

Your story is painful. I have had a taste of this, but not to the same degree. Good (financial) fences make good neighbours.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8928 on: November 17, 2021, 04:51:58 AM »

I deal with this frequently for a different reason: bank bonus churning. I'll sign up for bank accounts to earn the bonuses under both my and my wife's names (she's aware of this). After a specific period of time, I close the accounts so that I can earn the bonus again in the future. Some banks make it easy to close the account online, but some make you call them to close the account. I'll make my voice as feminine as possible when I'm trying to close her accounts. I've still been called "sir" occasionally, but they've never questioned whether or not I'm who I claim to be.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8929 on: November 21, 2021, 06:40:12 AM »
I think I am in middle of the mother of all MPPs: It's Black Friday &Co and I could safe so much money if I could just find something I wanted to buy, but there is nothing. What a bummer.

Well, my mouse just broke (why does this always happen on Friday evening??), but those things are so cheap (at least the ones I use) that it doesn't make a difference even if they were on sale. The big 10 button gaming mice (or mouses in that case?) would be different, but I don't need those to browse the internet. sigh

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8930 on: November 21, 2021, 07:32:20 AM »
Well, buy yourself some I-bonds. They're "on sale" - current yield is 7.12%

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8931 on: November 21, 2021, 07:49:20 AM »

Old boss of mine (was CFO at the time, later became the CEO) built a custom home with a 12 car garage and still didn't have enough bays. He was probably making about a mil a year at the time on average pre tax, or $550k after tax. 3rd car for 1-2 people isn't very common but not unheard of either. Insurance and property tax on an old paid off beater is pretty cheap if you want as a backup vehicle.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8932 on: November 21, 2021, 07:52:49 AM »

Old boss of mine (was CFO at the time, later became the CEO) built a custom home with a 12 car garage and still didn't have enough bays. He was probably making about a mil a year at the time on average pre tax, or $550k after tax. 3rd car for 1-2 people isn't very common but not unheard of either. Insurance and property tax on an old paid off beater is pretty cheap if you want as a backup vehicle.

When I had a rural property we had an old pickup that was just used for chores, plus two other vehicles. They were all old and had liability only insurance,  and husband did the maintenance himself,  so not too expensive.  The maintenance got to be time consuming though.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8933 on: November 21, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »
I am a German, and we are ranting here about 4% - or just about the wanted number of 2%/year on a 2 year average. (Not to mention that it was way under 2% for the last decade.)

And speaking about investment money, I would go for battery and Lithium. It's already late to the game (most of the stocks have already tripled this year) but not too late I think. As long as nobody figures out how to make a battery without lithium, sales will only increase.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8934 on: November 23, 2021, 08:31:33 AM »
I am a German, and we are ranting here about 4% - or just about the wanted number of 2%/year on a 2 year average. (Not to mention that it was way under 2% for the last decade.)

And speaking about investment money, I would go for battery and Lithium. It's already late to the game (most of the stocks have already tripled this year) but not too late I think. As long as nobody figures out how to make a battery without lithium, sales will only increase.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/29/catl-introduces-first-gen-sodium-ion-battery-and-ab-lithium-sodium-pack/

CATL has really been pushing lower-cost cell chemistries for years. They've been greatly increasing energy density of LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) cells, which eliminate most of the expensive metals in the higher density "high nickel" lithium chemistries. Lithium cost wasn't much compared to (say) Cobalt - but it's very high compared to iron. This makes lithium more of a target for elimination.

They're far enough along that all the shorter range Tesla packs are LFP in the newer factories, and Fremont will be rolling them out as well.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #8935 on: November 26, 2021, 09:33:21 PM »
I got a letter from my employer stating I had
 a $1300 check from June 2020 that hadn't been cashed.  I have direct deposit and live checks are rare.  Now I have to go find a notary and send back the form to get money I hadn't missed

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8936 on: November 27, 2021, 12:53:22 AM »
 a $1300 check from June 2020 that hadn't been cashed.  I have direct deposit and live checks are rare.  Now I have to go find a notary and send back the form to get money I hadn't missed

That’s annoying.  They know you didn’t cash the check.  Why do you need a notary?  To promise you won’t cash the check just in case you find it later?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8937 on: November 27, 2021, 09:47:58 AM »

That’s annoying.  They know you didn’t cash the check.  Why do you need a notary?  To promise you won’t cash the check just in case you find it later?

I know that checks are usually good for 6 months and after that, banks can refuse to honor them. But I don't get either why a notary is required in this situation.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8938 on: November 27, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »
Seriously, I would push back. Why did you send a check when I have Direct Deposit? Where did you send it? What was it for? And finally, "You want me to do what?". Asking you to notarize a document to correct their error is nuts.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8939 on: November 29, 2021, 07:11:48 AM »
I have direct deposit set up at my employer (~2000 employees world-wide), and I recent filed a $26 expense report.  My employer mailed me a check for $26.  It seemed bizarre to me.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8940 on: November 29, 2021, 11:23:08 AM »
I have direct deposit set up at my employer (~2000 employees world-wide), and I recent filed a $26 expense report.  My employer mailed me a check for $26.  It seemed bizarre to me.

The IRS insists on mailing us a monthly child credit check on paper. We've had them direct deposit for years and I even verified with the child credit page that yes, DD is set up there too.

Want to opt out and roll it into your tax refund? Sorry, that just means you will get a paper check for half as much unless your spouse ALSO sets up their own separate IRS account and ALSO manually opts out.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8941 on: November 29, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »

My employers have always done that too, so i guessed there must be a reason besides laziness (seems like more work to mail a physical check)

Maybe everything they issue via direct deposit has to go through payroll software and messes up all the tax/accounting

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8942 on: November 29, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »
This is really a non problem now, but I thought it would be a problem, last year I set up to max out my 403b, but I missed a pay period or two, so I set it to max in 22 pay cycles, not 24.  Figured I’d need to change it again this year so that I. Didn’t go over the limit, so I set a dozen reminders, but they’ve increased the limit, and I can let things set as they were and come within spitting distance of the new limit, so it makes no sense to change it.  I’m just going to let it as is, except all these mildly annoying reminders keep popping up on my phone and calendar for a task I no longer need to do. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8943 on: November 29, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »

The IRS insists on mailing us a monthly child credit check on paper. We've had them direct deposit for years and I even verified with the child credit page that yes, DD is set up there too.

Want to opt out and roll it into your tax refund? Sorry, that just means you will get a paper check for half as much unless your spouse ALSO sets up their own separate IRS account and ALSO manually opts out.

We received our TY 2020 refund as a paper check, so we've been getting these checks monthly, too. I'd prefer them direct-deposited, but it's a little bit satisfying to deposit them via app in my account and them put them in a drawer that contains only them, plus one or two other tax-relevant documents.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8944 on: December 01, 2021, 08:57:44 AM »
So, solar panels installed yesterday and finishing up today on our house. Related MPP - they might turn the system on before the end of December, which normally would be what I would want - get that money making machine on the roof running ASAP. However, congress might pass BBB and if the section on solar credits remains with what the house passed, I think that would mean additional tax credit for 4% of the system cost, which would be even better financially for us, but only if the system is put into service after the new year.

Not sure this really counts, but another possible MPP with this project - "solar array is uglier than I expected". Sort of want to see if they can re-orient and maybe add 4 more panels to a certain section of roof. They said "we can fit 22 panels on your roof" when I asked what was the most they could put - wound up with a 4 high X 5 wide with panels in landscape orientation on one section, basically completely covering that part of the roof with reasonable margins around it all, but then the other section has a 2 high X 1 wide portrait orientation. And conduit running over the hitch in the roof and into the main array that is really annoying to look at.

Not serious about this change though - system is a bit oversized already as we're anticipating some changes to our electric usage coming over the next several years. Maybe once the house is all electric and the additional draw is fully known, I'll see if it makes sense to add a few more panels. Gonna make money with it, but damn is it ugly - I need to figure out some way to better hide the conduit at least.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:23:35 AM by dandarc »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8945 on: December 01, 2021, 09:41:33 AM »
I need to figure out some way to better hide the conduit at least.
I wonder if flat black spray paint might be good enough.  A few years ago I built a deck and used EMT (conduit), painted black, as the balusters.  I think that was four years ago, and they have held up with no issue (not even rust!) since.  Against a dark roof, it wouldn't stand out.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8946 on: December 01, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
I need to figure out some way to better hide the conduit at least.
I wonder if flat black spray paint might be good enough.  A few years ago I built a deck and used EMT (conduit), painted black, as the balusters.  I think that was four years ago, and they have held up with no issue (not even rust!) since.  Against a dark roof, it wouldn't stand out.
So after I posted this I went to check on them since it was only supposed to be a couple of hours this morning to finish up some stuff with the wiring, and what does the project manager tell me? "There's a handful of items I want them to change - fix the bend in the conduit which is too close to the roof and spray-paint it black. Also put the correct connector here and put some black caulk around the drop through the eve . . ." So they're coming back for a couple of hours in the next few days and doing exactly what you've suggested and a few other things.

ETA - also the additional 4% tax credit might turn into a real MPP whiney-pants situation - the PM said they expect the inspector to be out before the end of this week. Passing inspection is the green light for them to put the thing in-service, which is the key date for tax credits, so maybe I can try and read the tea leaves with regards to the legislation and schedule the activation appointment accordingly.

Update: The black spray paint does indeed look fantastic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:17:50 AM by dandarc »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8947 on: December 02, 2021, 11:13:46 AM »
My problem: I do the bank account bonus thing and on the last one it took US Bank  five weeks to post my $400 bonus!

My #mpp's both relate to 2021 tax planning:

1.  I did a bunch of bank bonuses starting in about September that should pay out around the end of the year.  It is going to be tricky to determine if they pay out in 2021 or not.

2.  The Department of Education has not said, as far as I know, which part of the FAFSA simplification law they are going to implement on next year's FAFSA, which will use 2021 tax returns.

Because of these two issues, it will be more challenging than normal to figure out how much Roth conversions to do.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8948 on: December 02, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »
One of my friend's little brother is a crypto millionaire, 8 figures minimum. !@$# I did this life thing all wrong.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8949 on: December 02, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
One of my friend's little brother is a crypto millionaire, 8 figures minimum. !@$# I did this life thing all wrong.
For each crypto millionaire, rich "influencer", Lottery winner, etc there are thousands of folks who are instead in the proverbial trash bin of failed attempts.  As someone with cronic poor luck, I've had far better success the old fashioned way.

On the schadenfreude front I do enjoy looking at the long list of bankrupt former lottery winners, destitute rappers, Bernie Madoffs, etc as cautionary tales against chasing get-rich-quick schemes.  As a former welfare kid and high school dropout, being in the 7 figure club through hard work, frugality, and mostly good life choices makes me feel really fricking lucky.  I of course still hope one day to sit back with a bowl of popcorn if/when the crypto bubble pops.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!