Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086862 times)

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3000 on: August 14, 2016, 08:10:06 AM »
Here's one:

I have enough FU money that I thinking about quitting my job at the slightest provocation.
Same thoughts go through my mind every few days.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3001 on: August 14, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
Of course they do - it's called tape!
What will they think of next?

I'll kindly assume you are joking, but tape hardly has the texture of a post-it note.  In fact, I've never seen a tape that was easy to write on.  Masking tape would be the closest, but it still leaves a residue  after it's been on just a few days.

They also make that redaction tape that is super-easy to write on and peels off cleanly.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #3002 on: August 14, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »
For about a year and a half now, we have used the American Express Blue Cash Preferred cash-back credit card for almost all of our purchases, earning 3% cash back on groceries, 2% on gas, and 1% on everything else with no minimum fee.  Nowadays I am getting bombarded with offers to sign up for different Amex cards, which I suspect is due to my account being flagged as one they don't make money on.  Most of the offers involve high annual fees and benefits that don't appeal to me.
Same! I just got a huge envelope with a "great offer" for 50,000 bonus miles on signup for one of their luxury cards - "we'll book your vacations for you!" "we'll find hotels for you!" "we'll sneak into your house at night and polish the doorknobs for you!" All for the low, low annual fee of $500.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3003 on: August 14, 2016, 12:59:26 PM »

They also make that redaction tape that is super-easy to write on and peels off cleanly.
Don't you just want to see the celebrity endorsements for that !

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #3004 on: August 14, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »
The little side mirror attached to my bicycle helmet has lately fallen victim to erectile disfunction.  I have to constantly readjust it and it keeps slowly tilting downward.  The obvious answer is buy a new one but...you know.  Could I put something in there to make the connection tighter, or what?

detroit_johnny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3005 on: August 14, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »
@johndoe maybe try Sugru, it's pretty good stuff, check it out on Amazon

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3006 on: August 15, 2016, 03:09:58 AM »
"Washi" tape is the most similar to post-its. Easy to write on or tear, but comes off residue-free. Find it in your local fancy stationers.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3007 on: August 15, 2016, 05:44:52 AM »
The little side mirror attached to my bicycle helmet has lately fallen victim to erectile disfunction.  I have to constantly readjust it and it keeps slowly tilting downward.  The obvious answer is buy a new one but...you know.  Could I put something in there to make the connection tighter, or what?

Do you ever need to adjust the angle? If not, set it at the angle you want and coat the joint in silicone or some other adhesive. Should be good to go once it dries

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3008 on: August 15, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »
I'll kindly assume you are joking, but tape hardly has the texture of a post-it note.  In fact, I've never seen a tape that was easy to write on.  Masking tape would be the closest, but it still leaves a residue  after it's been on just a few days.

Painter's tape -- the blue kind. We use it for labeling all kinds of stuff.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3009 on: August 16, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »

I'm totally going to tell all my classmates I invented this at my 10 year highschool reunion.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3010 on: August 17, 2016, 01:47:26 AM »

I'm totally going to tell all my classmates I invented this at my 10 year highschool reunion.
Nah man, I already invented tape.  Don't steal my idea

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3011 on: August 17, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »

Do you ever need to adjust the angle? If not, set it at the angle you want and coat the joint in silicone or some other adhesive. Should be good to go once it dries

Epoxy that shiz.

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3012 on: August 18, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »

I also have trouble remembering which card to use where - so I took a Sharpie and wrote on the back of each one "groceries", "gas", etc.

There is an app called "Pick2Pay", you tell it where you are shopping (online or at a physical store). It tells you what the absolute best card to use based on the reward type (this includes every card even if you don't have that card). And it also tells you which of your cards that you actually have is the best to use (after you set up your wallet, you don't need to enter any card number or expiration etc. just which cards you have).
As a bonus it also tells you which rebate portals to use in conjunction with your purchase to get the most back.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3013 on: August 21, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
I decided to get a big pork butt to make into pulled pork because I won't be home much this week and the leftovers will be great. All they had was bone-in, which I have never gotten before, but I thought - win! It's 20% cheaper, plus I will have a big ol' bone to use in stock or beans or something. Great. So I went to prepare it for the Instant Pot today and I was going to cut it into smaller hunks to fit better in the pot, and debone it in the process so I could cook the bone with black beans later.

Well, it turns out there's no bone in the damn thing. So now I'm kind of bummed because I was cheated out of that bone that I had all these ideas for. (...TWSS?)  I think I got too emotionally invested in how good my beans were going to be. :-/  'Cause clearly I *should* be happy that I accidentally saved 20% on boneless pork butt.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3014 on: August 21, 2016, 09:02:11 PM »
I decided to get a big pork butt to make into pulled pork because I won't be home much this week and the leftovers will be great. All they had was bone-in, which I have never gotten before, but I thought - win! It's 20% cheaper, plus I will have a big ol' bone to use in stock or beans or something. Great. So I went to prepare it for the Instant Pot today and I was going to cut it into smaller hunks to fit better in the pot, and debone it in the process so I could cook the bone with black beans later.

Well, it turns out there's no bone in the damn thing. So now I'm kind of bummed because I was cheated out of that bone that I had all these ideas for. (...TWSS?)  I think I got too emotionally invested in how good my beans were going to be. :-/  'Cause clearly I *should* be happy that I accidentally saved 20% on boneless pork butt.

This is my favorite MPP yet!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3015 on: August 21, 2016, 09:29:27 PM »

This is my favorite MPP yet!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! ;-)  It actually worked out pretty well - I used a bottle of hard cider that had been sitting in the fridge undrunk for two months as the braising liquid for the pork... which then ended up with way too much liquid, so I used it to cook the beans (plus added a bit of water). When the beans were done they also had too much liquid, which I measured out and it turned out to be almost exactly 2 cups, which was the precise amount I needed to cook a batch of brown rice. So, no bones, but I used that lovely, porky cooking liquid three times! And I managed to do it all in my Instant Pot so I only had one pot to clean. Laziness Efficiency FTW.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3016 on: August 21, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
 Laziness Efficiency FTW....
Laziness = Efficiency    fixed that for you

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3017 on: August 22, 2016, 12:38:42 AM »
It takes me longer to buy things on ebay because I use the offer feature instead of buy it now.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3018 on: August 22, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
MPP
I feel compelled to take advantage of all the free entertainment offerings in my town.  There are so many - I'm exhausted!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3019 on: August 22, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »
MPP
I feel compelled to take advantage of all the free entertainment offerings in my town.  There are so many - I'm exhausted!

Haha. I know the feeling, but I would die if I tried that in NYC. It's at the point where I'm like, meh, that band that's playing a free gig a 90-second walk from the building I'm currently in isn't worth the trouble.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3020 on: August 22, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
I sit outside clothing stores reading my kindle while my girlfriends spontaneously decide they want to buy a new dress.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3021 on: August 22, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
When my best friend and I go shopping, we always compete for who spends the LEAST amount of money.  I am pissed when she wins (although that is a rare occurrence)!

Greenway52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3022 on: August 22, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »
I use a pre-paid, pay-as-you-use phone from 7-11. You need to add money to the phone if either the balance reach $0 (so that you can use the phone) or if it has been an year since you last topped up. If you don't top it up within a year, you lose any money you had in it, and if you do top up, any money you had (along with the top up amount you added) will get rolled over for another year.

The problem is that I rarely use my phone, so I almost always reach the end of the year before reaching a $0 balance. So I have to top up to roll the balance over to the next year. I try to wait until the last moment to top up so that my balance doesn't continue to build too much. So last week I had to top up, and I waited until the last day to top up. The problem is the last time I topped up was an year ago, so I couldn't remember how to! So there I was on the last day before expiry at 10:00 pm trying to remember how to top up my phone. I topped it up, but the balance and the new expiry date wouldn't show ... turns out after topping up, the system sends you an email with a code and a link and you have to go to link and put the code to actually top up.

I did manage to figure it out before midnight so that I could roll my money over, but I'm sure I'll forget it again come next year. Hopefully I'll remember to top up a bit earlier next time so that I leave myself sometime to figure out how to do it again.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #3023 on: August 22, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »
Greenway, I've had the same thing happen to me! I used to get a bigger top-up for the bonus minutes that came with it, but I never go through even the basic minutes, let alone the bonus.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #3024 on: August 23, 2016, 03:02:41 AM »
I use a pre-paid, pay-as-you-use phone from 7-11. You need to add money to the phone if either the balance reach $0 (so that you can use the phone) or if it has been an year since you last topped up. If you don't top it up within a year, you lose any money you had in it, and if you do top up, any money you had (along with the top up amount you added) will get rolled over for another year.

The problem is that I rarely use my phone, so I almost always reach the end of the year before reaching a $0 balance. So I have to top up to roll the balance over to the next year. I try to wait until the last moment to top up so that my balance doesn't continue to build too much. So last week I had to top up, and I waited until the last day to top up. The problem is the last time I topped up was an year ago, so I couldn't remember how to! So there I was on the last day before expiry at 10:00 pm trying to remember how to top up my phone. I topped it up, but the balance and the new expiry date wouldn't show ... turns out after topping up, the system sends you an email with a code and a link and you have to go to link and put the code to actually top up.

I did manage to figure it out before midnight so that I could roll my money over, but I'm sure I'll forget it again come next year. Hopefully I'll remember to top up a bit earlier next time so that I leave myself sometime to figure out how to do it again.

Write it down on a post-it and put it inside the back case of the phone :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3025 on: August 23, 2016, 04:20:16 AM »

Write it down on a post-it and put it inside the back case of the phone :)

I was on a 6 monthly $15 top up plan (yes that is what my phone used to cost - $2.50 a month ha). Problem was I also didn't spend it all... so earlier this year when I went to top it up I got a fright when it said $0.00 balance.

Turns out I tried to top up on day 182, when the 6 months ran out on day 180. Mad that I lost $37, but by then I had gotten a new phone with another carrier so I consider it my donation to them for being such a shitty, stingy, cheap, tightwad customer.

Can't think of anyone else who would only spend $240 on phone credit over 8 years lol.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3026 on: August 23, 2016, 04:37:57 AM »
More phone-related Mustachian problems: after ptel.com shut down a few months back I switched to Airvoice's $10 plan. The service is great, but I use only a fraction of the monthly allotment, and the rest rolls over. So right now I have about $30 worth of airtime and growing every month.

Since it would take 12 hours of non stop calling for the balance to be drained, maybe I just need to start downloading podcasts over data for a while...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3027 on: August 23, 2016, 04:44:33 AM »
Can't think of anyone else who would only spend $240 on phone credit over 8 years lol.
Well, I am currently on my 4th 15€ batch in 6? years. I think I will make that ^^

Sometimes I get the "you havent used your phone for 3 month" notification. A real mustachian phone problem :D

I just dont see the reason in speaking with the mobile. I have one at home that costs nothing to use (is included in the internet). I use that.
If I am not at home, chances are I am on the way to somewhere where I either cant do the thing I am wanted for or that thing can wait anyway. In which case email me.
Also I hate small talk.
So the only reason I use the mobile is either some sort of (small or big) emergency or when I am somewhere else with different people who split up/remeet and its not at the pre-talked place or time. (You know, like "if you girls need even more time to not buy clothes, tell us guys 15 minutes before meeting time")

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3028 on: August 23, 2016, 05:21:47 AM »
I see neighbor using clippers to edge his lawn. I offer him our edger, imagining a Mustachian exchange of tools and  friendship. He uses it and returns it, saying, "So great, was very helpful. I think I'll buy one." I protest, I say just call me when you want it again. He keeps saying he'll get one himself. I feel defeated and saddened.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3029 on: August 23, 2016, 07:44:57 AM »
I see neighbor using clippers to edge his lawn. I offer him our edger, imagining a Mustachian exchange of tools and  friendship. He uses it and returns it, saying, "So great, was very helpful. I think I'll buy one." I protest, I say just call me when you want it again. He keeps saying he'll get one himself. I feel defeated and saddened.

Ugh! I run into these too. I'm building community and goodwill danggit, stop spending money unnecessarily!

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3030 on: August 23, 2016, 11:28:27 PM »

Ugh! I run into these too. I'm building community and goodwill danggit, stop spending money unnecessarily!

Some people don't like relying on others, perhaps see if he has something you can borrow in return so they feel it is more of a trade.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3031 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:42 AM »

Some people don't like relying on others, perhaps see if he has something you can borrow in return so they feel it is more of a trade.

That's a good idea.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3032 on: August 24, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »

This runs into another MPP: DH and I don't borrow things for long. We tend to complete projects on a very short timeline. As an example, we once borrowed a neighbor's drill for a grand total of 7 minutes. So then if someone has your edger all weekend, it still seems uneven! So that's my MPP: having to hold onto someone else's stuff even when we're done with it so they feel like we have a fair exchange going =P

BoonDogle

• Stubble
« Reply #3033 on: August 26, 2016, 07:24:44 PM »
Middle School football team meeting with parents.

Coach: "on the way back from away games when we get about 15 miles from town, I will remind your son to text or call you to tell you that we will be home in 15 minutes so you can meet us at the school to pick him up."

Me (after the meeting): "son, just borrow one of your friends phones and text me with it."

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3034 on: August 27, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »

That's a good idea.

I do borrow tools from my next-door neighbor, but they sleep in REALLY late on the weekends (like after noon) - so if it's something I am going to use on a regular basis, I end up getting one myself.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #3035 on: August 28, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »
My MPP: I'm going on sabbatical this fall and my savings rate will drop to 64%!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #3036 on: September 01, 2016, 09:52:36 AM »
My MPP :  I spent the last week's worth of random free time while at work and home reading every stinkin post in this thread.  And it was a brilliant (albeit sometimes appearing wasteful) use of time! 

And now I cannot remember what I was planning on posting........

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3037 on: September 01, 2016, 10:01:02 AM »
My boyfriend had a MPP yesterday. He was pretend-sad because he was only able to save $300 from his paycheque. Why? Because we just booked a trip to Asia.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3038 on: September 01, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
My MPP as well a personal OCD problem:
Having to manually increase the width of the all columns in my spreadsheets when my balances gain a digit and don't fit neatly anymore.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3039 on: September 01, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Having to manually increase the width of the all columns in my spreadsheets when my balances gain a digit and don't fit neatly anymore.

Can't you just double-click the divider lines to auto-resize?

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #3040 on: September 01, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »

That would result in columns that are sized differently throughout the spreadsheet. OCD does not approve of this.

I only know because I would do the same thing... :o

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3041 on: September 01, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »

That would result in columns that are sized differently throughout the spreadsheet. OCD does not approve of this.

This is correct.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3042 on: September 01, 2016, 05:50:24 PM »

This is correct.
Excel tip!  Highlight all the columns you want to resize, resize one of them and they will all resize to match.  Magic!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3043 on: September 01, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »

This is correct.
Excel tip!  Highlight all the columns you want to resize, resize one of them and they will all resize to match.  Magic!
Wow, I had never heard of this. Just tested and it works in LibreOffice Calc as well!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3044 on: September 02, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
Wow, I had never heard of this. Just tested and it works in LibreOffice Calc as well!
[/quote]
The Power of Excel - Knowledge is Magic!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3045 on: September 02, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »
Side benefit of annoying your OCD SO if you leave "unfinished time" on the microwave

I do that and the whole family jumps on me. Moaning and eye rolling...

So I wait a few days and do it again..... ;)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3046 on: September 02, 2016, 09:47:44 PM »
Side benefit of annoying your OCD SO if you leave "unfinished time" on the microwave

the microwave MUST show the time, not the leftover cook time

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3047 on: September 03, 2016, 01:02:31 AM »

My microwave doesn't show the time (well, I'm sure it's possible to make it show the time but I've never bothered working it out). It always says 0, unless there is leftover time.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3048 on: September 03, 2016, 08:25:43 AM »

I left the unfinished cooking time at the same time that my sister needs to leave the house to be on time to work. That was the one week she wasn't late (she has flexi time so being late isn't such a big deal) the whole time she worked there. She was not appreciative when she found out but still thinks it was a mistake rather than malice / unwanted helpfulness. You must never tell her.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3049 on: September 06, 2016, 07:21:17 AM »
I left the unfinished cooking time at the same time that my sister needs to leave the house to be on time to work. That was the one week she wasn't late (she has flexi time so being late isn't such a big deal) the whole time she worked there. She was not appreciative when she found out but still thinks it was a mistake rather than malice / unwanted helpfulness. You must never tell her.

I have to ask, what was that time? I almost never microwave anything longer than 2 minutes, so my "leftover time" is usually 0:15-0:45. Which would be an odd time to leave for work, and for you to be awake to see her off.