Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086799 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
DH is very old school and he pays bills by check, but holds them until the last minutes to earn every cent of interest we can on the money. And of course in this environment of low low interest, it's crazy not worth it.
Unless he uses something like BillPay, you also need to account for envelope and stamps. That could add up to a full $10 per year if he mails two checks per month!

He pays more than 2 a month, and yep, stamps are expensive.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »
Logged into my bank website today just to see how things where going. I had no transactions in the recent transactions part of the account summary.

Distshore

• Stubble
« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2014, 01:48:53 PM »
Spent a year looking to buy our first investment property.  Finally found a good one, but it's about 1/3 of what I was looking to spend.  So I guess I'll spend the next year looking for another two.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2014, 08:12:26 PM »
Forgetting which side of your car the fuel hatch is on...

+1

My daughter told me recently that if there is a little sideways pointing arrow next to the image of a gas tank on your instrument gauge, the triangle points to the side of the car that the hatch is on. I never knew that before. Per Lifehacker - the side of the hose might be the clue:
http://lifehacker.com/instantly-see-which-side-of-your-car-the-gas-tank-is-on-1174049329
That's true in most cars, but not all.  Maybe it's a more recent thing?  My DH's 2004 doesn't have that feature.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
For all the people that forget which side their fuel hatch is on, don't you have mirrors?  I can see both sides of my car in the mirrors, so I can just look and see which side the fuel hatch is on.  Also, as mentioned, most cars also have an arrow indicator on the fuel gauge in the instrument panel. 

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
Forgetting which side of your car the fuel hatch is on...

+1

My daughter told me recently that if there is a little sideways pointing arrow next to the image of a gas tank on your instrument gauge, the triangle points to the side of the car that the hatch is on. I never knew that before. Per Lifehacker - the side of the hose might be the clue:
http://lifehacker.com/instantly-see-which-side-of-your-car-the-gas-tank-is-on-1174049329
That's true in most cars, but not all.  Maybe it's a more recent thing?  My DH's 2004 doesn't have that feature.

Even without the arrow there is a way to tell by looking at the little picture of the gas pump on the dash.

If you look at the picture of the pump the handle is usually on one side or the other.  If the handle is on the right side of the pump in the picture, your gas filler is on the left. 

This has yet to let me down.  I'm guessing there are cars out there where this doesn't hold true but I have yet to come across any.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »
For all the people that forget which side their fuel hatch is on, don't you have mirrors?  I can see both sides of my car in the mirrors, so I can just look and see which side the fuel hatch is on.  Also, as mentioned, most cars also have an arrow indicator on the fuel gauge in the instrument panel.

Well, you're not supposed to be able to see your own car in your sideview mirrors. The sideview mirrors are for seeing what's beside you. Take a look at this graphic: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #307 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »
A lot of my blog's readers are from this forum. This means that I won't ever make a lot on ads since they're so mustachian that they don't click on them.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »

Well, you're not supposed to be able to see your own car in your sideview mirrors. The sideview mirrors are for seeing what's beside you. Take a look at this graphic: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I like Car Talk's take:

For years, we'd been setting our side-view mirrors so that they gave us a view of the back corner of our cars. This is the way it's been done for generations - from grandfather, to father, to us! But we finally discovered something very interesting. The back corner of the car never moves. It always stays in the same exact place. So there's really no reason to keep an eye on it.

By moving the side mirrors farther out, you can line up all three of your mirrors so they have minimal overlap -- and you can see everything behind you and beside you.

http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default/files/features/mirrors/CarTalkMirrors.pdf

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »
Logged into my bank website today just to see how things where going. I had no transactions in the recent transactions part of the account summary.

This isn't normal?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »

+1

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: August 18, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »

Hmm.  Definitely not was was taught in driver's ed when I took it.  I've never adjusted my mirrors specifically so I could see my car, I adjusted them so I had a full view behind me.  If I can't see the rear corner of my car in my side view then I have a blind spot in that area.  I find it very easy to turn my head left or right to see what's actually next to me.

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #312 on: August 18, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »
For years, we'd been setting our side-view mirrors so that they gave us a view of the back corner of our cars. This is the way it's been done for generations - from grandfather, to father, to us! But we finally discovered something very interesting. The back corner of the car never moves. It always stays in the same exact place. So there's really no reason to keep an eye on it.

By moving the side mirrors farther out, you can line up all three of your mirrors so they have minimal overlap -- and you can see everything behind you and beside you.

For the young'uns, there once was a frequent need to parallel park BETWEEN cars, necessitating a mirror showing the back corner of your own car, as it was a point of pride not to scratch the nice shiny metal of the bumper.  I still drive into NYC on occasion, and parallel park between cars on the street (NYC garages/parking lots are extremely expensive with 18% tax on top of that).

jordanread

« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »

For the young'uns, there once was a frequent need to parallel park BETWEEN cars, necessitating a mirror showing the back corner of your own car, as it was a point of pride not to scratch the nice shiny metal of the bumper.  I still drive into NYC on occasion, and parallel park between cars on the street (NYC garages/parking lots are extremely expensive with 18% tax on top of that).

Bumpers were made out of metal?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »

Bumpers were made out of metal?

That's what back-up cameras are for.

And don't forget these beauties:

jordanread

« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
I just got the most perfect Mustachian problem...

Online bill-pay for the win!!

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure that's my savings account card.

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
Chuck Norris borrows money from me.
Coworkers just stared at me for laughing at my computer lol

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
I just got the most perfect Mustachian problem...

Online bill-pay for the win!!

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure that's my savings account card.

All I could think of:

db_cooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
 Got a letter from the Credit Union because we had too much cash in savings, they'd rather have loans.  At least it was a nice reminder to move it to a Vanguard account. Like they couldn't afford to pay .01% annual interest.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »

Hmm.  Definitely not was was taught in driver's ed when I took it.  I've never adjusted my mirrors specifically so I could see my car, I adjusted them so I had a full view behind me.  If I can't see the rear corner of my car in my side view then I have a blind spot in that area.  I find it very easy to turn my head left or right to see what's actually next to me.

Just got back from a car ride.  I can only see out the back window with the rear view, not out any of the sides.  The right side mirror I can see my car slightly, and as cars drive past on the right it comes into my vision - there is no blind spot on the right- I can see the car in my peripheal vision while it's still in my right side view.  The left side is adjusted slightly out - normal driving position I can't see my own car, but a slight turn of the head and I can see it.   So I can still see the fuel hatch on either side with no blind spots at all. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »
Your mirrors should be such that you don't see the sides of your car unless you move your head to the side. So, barely not seeing the sides of the car, essentially. No blind spots for me when I do that.

Today's problem: I got so used to never using AC in California that the AC at work makes me cold.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #321 on: August 19, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
Your mirrors should be such that you don't see the sides of your car unless you move your head to the side. So, barely not seeing the sides of the car, essentially. No blind spots for me when I do that.

Today's problem: I got so used to never using AC in California that the AC at work makes me cold.

I also have no blind spots.  I can see cars with my eyes as well as with my side view mirrors simultaneously - and my own car. 

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #322 on: August 19, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »
Need to formulate a response for spendthrift friends and family who ask for "loans" after they figure out that my spending << my income.
+1
But I really did like this answer

Declining expenses: It's not that I'm broke, it's just that my money is already allocated! (Most people will hear this as Visa and mortgage rather than 401k and investments.)
Applies to both money and time: that's not what I've chosen to spend it on.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #323 on: August 19, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »

I also have no blind spots.  I can see cars with my eyes as well as with my side view mirrors simultaneously - and my own car.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #324 on: August 19, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

I wonder if Sauron technically has an optic nerve, and therefore a blind spot?  Hmm.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #325 on: August 19, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »

I wonder if Sauron technically has an optic nerve, and therefore a blind spot?  Hmm.

If you want to get fictionally technical, I'm pretty sure Sauron doesn't actually see everywhere at once.  But I still couldn't resist.

jordanread

« Reply #326 on: August 19, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »

If you want to get fictionally technical, I'm pretty sure Sauron doesn't actually see everywhere at once.  But I still couldn't resist.

Someone is on a LOTR kick. Btw, are you calling me ...
slow?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #327 on: August 19, 2014, 06:48:54 PM »
I had to endure a speel from the electric company about how they would "work with us" on a big bill that came about because our meter broke and we didn't pay for use for a few months. DH, the bill payer, claimed he didn't notice lack of appropriate billing for a few months, and then, it was a few months before they replaced the meter and the total bill was high. They outlined financing options and yadda yadda. When that talk was over, we just wrote a check for the $1,700 we owed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:50:33 PM by iris lily »

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2014, 09:59:49 PM »
I'm also surprised by payday.... It seems to happen every other day (although my co-workers beg for the payroll person to go to their bank first) and anticipate it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »
I'm also surprised by payday.... It seems to happen every other day (although my co-workers beg for the payroll person to go to their bank first) and anticipate it.

I'd be on board with bi-daily payday.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: August 20, 2014, 02:20:40 AM »
Years ago I had a car payment set up to trasfer $585 from my paycheck every two weeks.  When the loan paid out there was a glitch.  The $585 kept being deducted every two weeks.   When I received my next account statement I found where it went.  It reverted to my savings account. That was 2003 and I haven't fixed the glitch yet.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: August 20, 2014, 03:20:05 AM »
I bought a rather nice historic place in the UK as an investment/holiday home.  It was a fine afternoon and I started to do some tidying up on the patio.  One of the neighbors asked me if I was the new gardener...

Tieke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: August 20, 2014, 03:40:16 AM »
I'm about to turn 40 and I've had to tell all my loved ones not to buy me a present because there's nothing I need and I have nowhere to store useless crap.  Some of them won't believe me.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #333 on: August 20, 2014, 06:28:12 AM »
I bought a rather nice historic place in the UK as an investment/holiday home.  It was a fine afternoon and I started to do some tidying up on the patio.  One of the neighbors asked me if I was the new gardener...
LOL!

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #334 on: August 20, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
Friends always ask me for cooking and cleaning advice bc apparently at 20 no one knows how to do these things themselves. Relatedly, being more at home with middle age coworkers who pack their lunches than fellow college students who buy (and then complain about) their lunch.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
Riding your bike to events, and receiving the offer of a ride home followed by weird looks when you say you will actually enjoy your ride home.  It's not deliberate masochism!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2014, 09:04:47 AM »

I'd be on board with bi-daily payday.
Espically if the amount did not decrease from my bi-weekly amount...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #337 on: August 20, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »
I would have answered something like "No, I am just the shoe boy. The gardener, cook and chaffeur come next week, but the door guards start tomorrow."

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »
I would have answered something like "No, I am just the shoe boy. The gardener, cook and chaffeur come next week, but the door guards start tomorrow."

Say yes!  Check to see if they would like to hire you.  ;)

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: August 20, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »
You have more than 1 bike per person in the household.

QFT, we have 4 bikes for 2 people.  My 'Hybrid' bike that's been taking me to work since march 2013 about 90% of the time, my 'new' $45 1989 Raleigh I got at a yard sale (I hit 35pmh the other day!), and two 24" bikes for my wife, one she's had since highschool, and one was a $15 yardsale purchase. 

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #340 on: August 20, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »
Riding your bike to events, and receiving the offer of a ride home followed by weird looks when you say you will actually enjoy your ride home.  It's not deliberate masochism!

I get this one a lot

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: August 20, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
I have to set a reminder in my phone to put out the trash because I forget what day it is since I don't have a work schedule anymore.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: August 20, 2014, 05:21:44 PM »
I never have anything to add to the conversation at work about current movies and celebrities.  People honestly don't understand how you can go several years between trips to the movie theaters.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
I never have anything to add to the conversation at work about current movies and celebrities.  People honestly don't understand how you can go several years between trips to the movie theaters.
My coworkers know that I don't go to the theater, but I do get great Netflix recommendations from them!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:17 PM »

QFT, we have 4 bikes for 2 people.  My 'Hybrid' bike that's been taking me to work since march 2013 about 90% of the time, my 'new' $45 1989 Raleigh I got at a yard sale (I hit 35pmh the other day!), and two 24" bikes for my wife, one she's had since highschool, and one was a $15 yardsale purchase.

Oh man...I've got 3 bikes and it's just me. I guess this belongs in this thread because some friends came over after I moved recently and almost had a heart attack when they saw I had three bikes. Well, they are super-spendy on clothes, jewelry, purses, and shoes, so I don't think they were judging me. Then they were trying to convince me to buy a scooter since I am in a fun/touristy area and thought it would be a good way to get around. I said I wouldn't want a scooter, as walking and biking were fine.

One bike was purchased in 1994 or 1995 and it's a hybrid. Works great and have used it to go to work.
The other is an entry level road bike (reasonable price) purchased in 2006 when I got into road cycling.
The third is the decadent one I purchased recently - a super pricey carbon road bike in order to keep up with everyone else that has a carbon bike (face punch).

At this rate, I seem to be acquiring a new one each decade. They all have their purpose.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:08:30 PM by Daisy »

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #345 on: August 20, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
I get this a lot but it's because I was deployed a lot. I remember the last time I came home and everyone was texting. I didn't understand it...why would I pay extra for someone to text instead of calling. It took about a year before I gave in.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #346 on: August 20, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »

Oh man...I've got 3 bikes and it's just me. I guess this belongs in this thread because some friends came over after I moved recently and almost had a heart attack when they saw I had three bikes. Well, they are super-spendy on clothes, jewelry, purses, and shoes, so I don't think they were judging me. Then they were trying to convince me to buy a scooter since I am in a fun/touristy area and thought it would be a good way to get around. I said I wouldn't want a scooter, as walking and biking were fine.

One bike was purchased in 1994 or 1995 and it's a hybrid. Works great and have used it to go to work.
The other is an entry level road bike (reasonable price) purchased in 2006 when I got into road cycling.
The third is the decadent one I purchased recently - a super pricey carbon road bike in order to keep up with everyone else that has a carbon bike (face punch).

At this rate, I seem to be acquiring a new one each decade. They all have their purpose.
I bought my first bike in 92...it was a cannondale dalta V 500 ($1600 at the time) but still running strong. I still love it! I hope I still have it in 30 years!

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #347 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:57 AM »

I get this one a lot

Once while I was riding to work in the winter, someone in a minivan slowed down next to me, rolled down their window, and yelled out asking if I wanted/needed a ride.  I was already fully dressed for the weather, and I probably would have been to warm in their van. 

Most people assume that I must have lost my license or don't have a car or something.  (It also doesn't help that I layer up and 'look like a hobo' instead of buying fancy spandex riding gear)

I thanked her for the offer, but told her I was just fine as I was, inspite of the 'polar vortex' weather we'd been having. 

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #348 on: August 21, 2014, 06:54:52 AM »
One line email from my husband yesterday with the subject line "401k":

They finally add a Vanguard fund…and the ER is still about .40. Jeeeeez.

I just wrote back: Rich people problems?

We both got a good laugh out of it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: August 21, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »

I get this one a lot

Once while I was riding to work in the winter, someone in a minivan slowed down next to me, rolled down their window, and yelled out asking if I wanted/needed a ride.  I was already fully dressed for the weather, and I probably would have been to warm in their van. 

Most people assume that I must have lost my license or don't have a car or something.  (It also doesn't help that I layer up and 'look like a hobo' instead of buying fancy spandex riding gear)

I thanked her for the offer, but told her I was just fine as I was, inspite of the 'polar vortex' weather we'd been having.

I get this from coworkers every time it starts to sprinkle out.  OMG nacho do you need a ride?  I can give you a ride home in the work truck.  Uh, no thanks, it's ok if I get wet.  I have towels and clean clothes at home.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!