Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086601 times)

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #8500 on: March 20, 2021, 07:41:23 AM »
If you're owed a refund, wouldn't you want to file your taxes earlier?

Usually.  Although with the stimulus payment qualification rules, it may make more sense to delay filing.  This is usually cases where the stimulus payment will be larger based on the taxpayers 2019 return than on their 2020 return.

Also, some people may be holding off because of the 2020 provisions in the ARP Act related to unemployment compensation and APTC non-repayment.
So they don't "true up" the stimulus payments on your next tax return? Or are you saying it's worth getting an overpayment now, even if you have to pay it back later?
For some people there would be no true up, if their 2020 and 2021 incomes are high, the reward is no stimulus at all if you filed too early. If 2019 was your last year to qualify, it pays immensely to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8501 on: March 20, 2021, 11:08:45 AM »
If you're owed a refund, wouldn't you want to file your taxes earlier?

Usually.  Although with the stimulus payment qualification rules, it may make more sense to delay filing.  This is usually cases where the stimulus payment will be larger based on the taxpayers 2019 return than on their 2020 return.

Also, some people may be holding off because of the 2020 provisions in the ARP Act related to unemployment compensation and APTC non-repayment.
So they don't "true up" the stimulus payments on your next tax return? Or are you saying it's worth getting an overpayment now, even if you have to pay it back later?

They "true up" but only in favor of the TP.  Will all three stimulus payments, if the government pays you too much, there is no repayment.

So for example, if a person qualifies for the third stimulus payment based on their 2019 income but not their 2020 income, they may elect to wait until the IRS pays the third payment before filing their 2020 income tax return.  They'll receive the stimulus based on the 2019 information but not have to pay it back on their 2020 return.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8502 on: March 21, 2021, 12:03:15 AM »

We were talking about retirement contributions. Although both withholding and retirement contributions are affected by mid year raises, which is what causes me to have to adjust here and there.
I actually do something kind of wild with my withholding because I’m allowed to change every pay period online if I wish. I lower my withholding at the beginning of the year and pay almost nothing. Then towards the last 3-4 months (when my multiple buckets- 403 and 457 are full) I up my withholding. It’s like estimated payments except I skip the first 2-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duh, I got caught up in the stimulus discussion and failed to notice... sorry!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8503 on: March 21, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
I had to check three yogurt containers in the fridge before I found the one that actually contained yogurt.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8504 on: March 21, 2021, 08:19:58 AM »
I had to check three yogurt containers in the fridge before I found the one that actually contained yogurt.

We prefer sandwich meat containers, with their clear bottoms for the house and yogurt containers, with their clear lids, for the top loading fridge on the boat. We may discard the former entirely once we are able to move back onto the boat full time

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8505 on: March 21, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »

This is exactly our problem too!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8506 on: March 21, 2021, 09:13:19 AM »

I use leftover lunchmeat containers (see through) for this very reason. Things that go in opaque containers tend to contain unpleasant surprises by the time I open them. Can you use a Sharpie on your leftovers containers so its more obvious what's in it?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8507 on: March 21, 2021, 09:17:45 AM »

We prefer sandwich meat containers, with their clear bottoms for the house and yogurt containers, with their clear lids, for the top loading fridge on the boat. We may discard the former entirely once we are able to move back onto the boat full time

We also use the sandwich meat containers for food storage long after sandwich has been eaten. I particularly like giving food to friends and family in them. They are also great for making salads the night before and are perfect berry buckets.

We reuse yogurt containers too, I especially like the Fage containers as they seem to be sturdier that some other brands. Great for storing salvaged screws in... Also they come with delicious yogurt in them.

I'm pretty sure having a favorite yogurt container is a MPP.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8508 on: March 21, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »

We also use the sandwich meat containers for food storage long after sandwich has been eaten. I particularly like giving food to friends and family in them. They are also great for making salads the night before and are perfect berry buckets.

We reuse yogurt containers too, I especially like the Fage containers as they seem to be sturdier that some other brands. Great for storing salvaged screws in... Also they come with delicious yogurt in them.

I have a favorite frozen vegetable bag: the one that the stir fry mix from costco comes in is resealable and great for storing bones to make stock. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8509 on: March 21, 2021, 11:04:01 AM »

I am having a brain freeze on sandwich meat containers! Can someone send a link to show one. I have no idea what this is except a Rubbermaid container but it seems it is not what you are all talking about.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8511 on: March 21, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8512 on: March 21, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »

I have a favorite frozen vegetable bag: the one that the stir fry mix from costco comes in is resealable and great for storing bones to make stock.

That is awesome. We bought a rather fancy vacuum sealer last year and ever since I've been eying the various heavy duty food/coffee bags for good free bags to make my own mountain house style meals with...

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8513 on: March 21, 2021, 11:53:59 AM »
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hillshire-Farm-Ultra-Thin-Sliced-Deli-Lunch-Meat-Honey-Ham-22-oz/775351378

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I have seen those! But, I have never purchased any! Thanks for posting that for me!

We occasionally buy Hillshire turkey at Costco and it comes in similar container that holds about 2 quarts. They seem to be as durable as purchased plasticware.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8514 on: March 21, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
OMG! I have a collection of the smallest size that I treasure! I use them for batch cooking taco meat, black beans, and rice for Mexican dinners. I also use one for DH's sandwich every day. I use Dave's Killer Bread, and the sandwich fits perfectly, even with plenty of lettuce. Best of all, if you open the container with the lid side down, you have a built-in plate.

I recently had a lightbulb moment and started using them for carrots, celery and cherry tomatoes (all together) so now I use zero plastic bags in DH's lunch box for the win!

They're also great for hiking and in the RV.

The original contents of the containers aren't so great, but I buy the low sodium varieties when they're deeply discounted, and the containers last for many times longer than the contents do. I figure an occasional processed meat sandwich isn't going to kill him.

Oh, be careful removing them from the freezer. If you drop a frozen one, it's likely to split or shatter. #askmehowiknow.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8515 on: March 21, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hillshire-Farm-Ultra-Thin-Sliced-Deli-Lunch-Meat-Honey-Ham-22-oz/775351378
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I have seen those! But, I have never purchased any! Thanks for posting that for me!
We occasionally buy Hillshire turkey at Costco and it comes in similar container that holds about 2 quarts. They seem to be as durable as purchased plasticware.
Salsa de Rosa (TM) salsa containers are 3 1/4" (81mm) x 5 1/2" (140mm)2 1/2" ( 66mm).  They have sturdy rims, both base and lids go through the dishwasher fine, work great as dipping sauce containers (duh!), stack well and are my current go-to for smaller amounts of stuff.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #8516 on: March 21, 2021, 01:27:14 PM »
My MPP right now is definitely too many containers.  The pandemic and takeout has just exploded our collection and a lot of them are really high quality that can go through the DW and last for years.  We know because we still have the ones from the limited takeout we ever got since we first moved in together!  And I guess the real MPP underlying this MPP is that we don't have enough storage space to keep them for future needs after pandemic takeout fully subsides.  My neighborhood Buy Nothing group has people periodically offering tupperware, so I think we are all in the same position. Some folks use them to package donations to the community kitchen and things like that, but the surplus still seems orders of magnitude over the ability to use.  I feel bad about all the plastic which is also an MPP, but more long-term, and probably more easily identified as an EPP (environmental person problem).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8517 on: March 21, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »
For food storage, ability to go through the dishwasher is a strict requirement for me (no warping and no paper label I can’t easily remove)  this limits my options quite a bit

But I have a Parmesan problem.  We eat way too much Costco shredded Parmesan and the container it comes in is perfect to hold screw, nails, loose parts, etc in the garage.  I have an embarrassing number of these lined up on a shelf(s)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8518 on: March 21, 2021, 02:29:40 PM »
For food storage, ability to go through the dishwasher is a strict requirement for me (no warping and no paper label I can’t easily remove)  this limits my options quite a bit

But I have a Parmesan problem.  We eat way too much Costco shredded Parmesan and the container it comes in is perfect to hold screw, nails, loose parts, etc in the garage.  I have an embarrassing number of these lined up on a shelf(s)

Have you designed custom shelfing with angled boards and holes sized for the containers so you can see the contents yet? Like a fancy spice rack for your screws? That's my next step with my yogurt containers.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8519 on: March 21, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
My grandpa did something like that, but with baby food jars.  He would attach the lid to the bottom of the shelf, and then screw the container to the lid.  I still have a lot of his jars filled with many his screws and nails, but now they're in a drawer because my set-up doesn't include a wood shelf.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8520 on: March 21, 2021, 11:18:15 PM »
My grandpa did something like that, but with baby food jars.  He would attach the lid to the bottom of the shelf, and then screw the container to the lid.  I still have a lot of his jars filled with many his screws and nails, but now they're in a drawer because my set-up doesn't include a wood shelf.

That's a really cool system.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8521 on: March 22, 2021, 12:51:06 AM »

Yeah, those olden-day baby food jars were sturdy glass with strong metal lids. Plus, the "Graduates" were much bigger jars. Or maybe the big ones were called "Juniors". There's an oxymoron for ya. When I was a kid, everyone's dad had a row of those in the garage.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #8522 on: March 22, 2021, 06:21:32 AM »
If you all have too many containers, offer them up on Freecycle maybe?

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8523 on: March 22, 2021, 06:50:16 AM »
Aldi sells a pasta sauce that comes in a really nice glass jar that for some reason has measurement markings on the sides, cups and oz, I think. The label comes off so easily with a very short soaking. The metal lid is nice a secure. I was happy at first to have such a great jar. But now I can't bear to toss any of them so I'm slowly collecting lots and lots of jars. They are like the nicest mason jars. I don't know what I'm going to do with all these jars.

turketron

• Pencil Stache

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8525 on: March 22, 2021, 07:34:18 AM »

Yeah, those olden-day baby food jars were sturdy glass with strong metal lids. Plus, the "Graduates" were much bigger jars. Or maybe the big ones were called "Juniors". There's an oxymoron for ya. When I was a kid, everyone's dad had a row of those in the garage.

Well great, I didn't expect to FIND a Mustachian People Problem this morning while looking at the forum. My new MPP: I didn't buy baby food* and thus have none of these jars to make a cool storage rack/shelf. And now I want one, real bad.

Way to go, people. Killing me over here.

;)

*When I was growing up my mom of five would constantly complain about how expensive baby food was... I really wish I was Mustachian enough at the time to explain that you can take a blender to cooked carrots, sweet peas, sweet potatoes, bananas, and put them in a container and store them in the fridge for the week. Not too hard... and definitely a money-saver!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8526 on: March 22, 2021, 10:28:34 AM »

Well great, I didn't expect to FIND a Mustachian People Problem this morning while looking at the forum. My new MPP: I didn't buy baby food* and thus have none of these jars to make a cool storage rack/shelf. And now I want one, real bad.

Way to go, people. Killing me over here.

;)

*When I was growing up my mom of five would constantly complain about how expensive baby food was... I really wish I was Mustachian enough at the time to explain that you can take a blender to cooked carrots, sweet peas, sweet potatoes, bananas, and put them in a container and store them in the fridge for the week. Not too hard... and definitely a money-saver!

My kiddo REFUSED to eat anything that I made.  But the food he liked came in plastic containers, so I still had no glass jars.  I had to buy some recently (the horror) to make a spice rack for my fridge.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8527 on: March 22, 2021, 10:47:15 AM »
Aldi sells a pasta sauce that comes in a really nice glass jar that for some reason has measurement markings on the sides, cups and oz, I think. The label comes off so easily with a very short soaking. The metal lid is nice a secure. I was happy at first to have such a great jar. But now I can't bear to toss any of them so I'm slowly collecting lots and lots of jars. They are like the nicest mason jars. I don't know what I'm going to do with all these jars.
This reminds me of the Costco Mandarin Oranges I used to buy for DH's lunches, back when he was wearing braces. Those jars were the same way. The only drawback is the lids are not quite the same size as canning jar lids. When Costco discontinued them, I bought the remaining stock out of three warehouses. I ended up with so many jars that i did indeed offer them up on freecycle, as @Zaga suggests. I still have about half a dozen of them in use.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8528 on: March 22, 2021, 01:30:09 PM »
This whole discussion of jars reminded me of a truly epic MPP.   This is from back in the 1970s or 80s when recycling was starting to come into fashion in the West.   The Soviet Union started some recycling initiatives in response.

Now, the Soviet economy was largely run on 5 year plans made at the national level in Moscow.   Didn't matter whether people wanted more or less of something, it was in the plan, so the plan would be followed.    There were always frequent shortages of consumer goods because heavy industry was favored by the national government.

And then there was this one product, a soup that came in recyclable glass jars.   There was NEVER any shortage of this soup because it was so vile in taste that, despite having nothing else to spend their money on, the Soviets preferred to do without rather than eat this soup.

One enterprising fellow in Kiev realized that the price for the soup had been marked down to BELOW the recycle value of the jars the soup came in.   Being Mustachian entrepreneurs, you immediately realized that this is both a market opportunity and an chance to get unwanted goods recycled into something else.

So, our entrepreneur went all over Kiev and bought every single jar of that soup available for sale.   He poured the contents down the drain and took the empties to cash in at the recycling center.

He was arrested, tried, convicted and imprisoned for being an Enemy of the Soviet Union.

Sorry, no happy ending.   It was a true MPP.

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #8529 on: March 22, 2021, 08:16:27 PM »
My kiddo REFUSED to eat anything that I made.

What would have happened to such children before the invention of processed baby food? Our kid would have starved to death if she hadn't eaten our food, since there is no way in hell we would have bought anything like that.

;-)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8530 on: March 22, 2021, 09:38:08 PM »
My kiddo REFUSED to eat anything that I made.

What would have happened to such children before the invention of processed baby food? Our kid would have starved to death if she hadn't eaten our food, since there is no way in hell we would have bought anything like that.

;-)

Some breastfed longer, some died.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #8531 on: March 23, 2021, 12:08:08 AM »

The Parmesan containers work great to organize my freezer drawer. No wasted space, stick a label on top with what’s inside - we use for almonds, whole oats, whole wheat flour, walnuts, rice, home made dog treats... and some smaller square containers from the Costco peppercorns fit perfectly along the back for items held in smaller quantity.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8532 on: March 23, 2021, 04:04:28 AM »

You're right @DeniseNJ!  I never noticed the Aldi pasta jars before, and we buy those all the time.  Just went and looked in the pantry and the jar is exactly what you described, PLUS the opening is a standard size for replacement rings and flats (narrow mouth).  I frequently run out of canning jars in the fall, but now I never will.  So thank you!  Your MPP will now be my MPP.  :)

BTW, if you have extra jars they sell easily on Craigslist, at least they do around here.  Very much in demand.  Now we can also have a small side gig, and hopefully end up happier than the poor soviet guy that @SwordGuy described. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:47:40 AM by Trifele »

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #8533 on: March 23, 2021, 04:27:50 AM »
This whole discussion of jars reminded me of a truly epic MPP.   This is from back in the 1970s or 80s when recycling was starting to come into fashion in the West.   The Soviet Union started some recycling initiatives in response.

Now, the Soviet economy was largely run on 5 year plans made at the national level in Moscow.   Didn't matter whether people wanted more or less of something, it was in the plan, so the plan would be followed.    There were always frequent shortages of consumer goods because heavy industry was favored by the national government.

And then there was this one product, a soup that came in recyclable glass jars.   There was NEVER any shortage of this soup because it was so vile in taste that, despite having nothing else to spend their money on, the Soviets preferred to do without rather than eat this soup.

One enterprising fellow in Kiev realized that the price for the soup had been marked down to BELOW the recycle value of the jars the soup came in.   Being Mustachian entrepreneurs, you immediately realized that this is both a market opportunity and an chance to get unwanted goods recycled into something else.

So, our entrepreneur went all over Kiev and bought every single jar of that soup available for sale.   He poured the contents down the drain and took the empties to cash in at the recycling center.

He was arrested, tried, convicted and imprisoned for being an Enemy of the Soviet Union.

Sorry, no happy ending.   It was a true MPP.

I did something similar when I was a kid. I worked out that a 5 cent coin contained 13 cents worth of nickel. I got my hands on as many as I could and melted them down for resale to a metal dealer for a very healthy profit. At some stage, the coins were changed to some cheap alloy with a nickel coating.

I also found out later that destruction of currency was against the law.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8534 on: March 23, 2021, 06:50:25 AM »
My employer has just announced a mandatory upgrade of firm-supplied smartphones.  My MPP is that while everyone else is excited to get a shiny new phone, I'm just annoyed that I have to spend £2 on a new case :(

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8535 on: March 23, 2021, 12:05:15 PM »
My employer has just announced a mandatory upgrade of firm-supplied smartphones.  My MPP is that while everyone else is excited to get a shiny new phone, I'm just annoyed that I have to spend £2 on a new case :(

Can’t you skip the case or ask your employer to buy one? If the employer wants the phone protected, they should pay for it.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8536 on: March 23, 2021, 12:43:56 PM »
I paid two co-pay invoices with the same check to save a check and a stamp. I even wrote both invoice numbers on the check. The hospital credited all the money to one invoice, and then has been calling me about the lack of payment on the other. And then today, we received a check in the mail for the “over-payment” on the first invoice.  Now I have $50 from the hospital as well as a canceled check showing that I already paid for the invoice they’re called me about. Grrrrrrr.

So much for saving 55 cents. It turns out I bought myself a headache.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8537 on: March 23, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
My MPP is that I have no one IRL who can relate to what I've got going on right now. 

My parents, probably due to a health scare and recent developments with my brother that can be read about in the thread about relative who don't get it, have decided to transfer the house that mom inherited from her parents over to me.  This has been sort-of the plan for awhile.  I live in it and have been paying all the bills and taxes for more than a decade.  Mom and dad never really wanted to deal with rental property and I guess mom promised her dad that she'd keep it in the family. 

At the same time, my father-in-law has also decided that he is sick of dealing with one of his rental properties and will be signing that over to us to use as a rental.  This is an excellent opportunity for my husband and something that he has been wanting to do for awhile. 

Due to the way the timing is working out, I may end up recording both deeds on the same day.  My insurance company is having a field day with this.  I've already gotten two requests for a meeting with an advisor (i.e. "let's see what else we can sell you").  And while I'm grateful as hell, I also realize that this whole thing is more or less a ticking timebomb when it comes to taxes.  But I can't complain about the tax situation without sounding....spoiled.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8538 on: March 24, 2021, 03:43:33 AM »
So my two kids (15 and 17) went to do some odd jobs for a neighbor yesterday.  She's an older single woman with a bad shoulder and she needed help moving some furniture, and also digging out and filling a new garden bed.  The kids came home and I was shocked to hear she paid them $60 each -- for two hours of work.  She also was super sweet and gave them cookies and cold drinks.   I couldn't help it -- I texted her to make sure the money wasn't a mistake and she said no, they earned it and really helped her out. 

My MPP with this is multi-faceted.  While I was obviously happy to hear the kids did good work, am I just so cheap/weird/retired that I am out of touch with what odd jobs pay?  I had expected she would pay them maybe $10 an hour or so.  The last time I paid anybody for an odd job was about 10 years ago, when we were paying a teenage babysitter $12 an hour to watch two kids.  The work yesterday was hard physically, but very straightforward.   --- ?   

We're also trying to teach the spendypants 15 year old the value of money and help him develop a good work ethic.  I feel like this may have spoiled him for future odd jobs, like he'll always expect such sweet gigs.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, 17 y.o. DD feels a bit guilty about being 'overpaid', and plans to donate half to charity.  Which is nice, but I also don't want her to get in the mindset of selling herself short.  I've known way too many women who do that when it comes to money.  Oy.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8539 on: March 24, 2021, 05:06:04 AM »
That's same nasty problem you have there O.o How to teach both sides of the spectrum at the same time basically.
Maybe talk with both and point out that a normal job does not include neighbors. That clearly was (partly) "social money" here.

I paid two co-pay invoices with the same check to save a check and a stamp. I even wrote both invoice numbers on the check. The hospital credited all the money to one invoice, and then has been calling me about the lack of payment on the other. And then today, we received a check in the mail for the “over-payment” on the first invoice.  Now I have $50 from the hospital as well as a canceled check showing that I already paid for the invoice they’re called me about. Grrrrrrr.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the billing department.

To be fair it's not their fault in most cases. They are either humans doing a very stupid and repetitive work where your performance depends on not thinking, or it's a computer doing it where the programmer was not paid to care for those "fringe cases". 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8540 on: March 24, 2021, 11:17:56 AM »

Been there. Two checks in one envelope saves you a stamp, but they can still fuck it up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8541 on: March 24, 2021, 12:43:19 PM »

Been there. Two checks in one envelope saves you a stamp, but they can still fuck it up.

Don’t beat yourself up.  Two checks with two stamps and they still can fuck it up

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8542 on: March 25, 2021, 01:02:31 AM »
Now we work from home, my work clothes don't get dirty anymore! No sweat from walking to work or going up 4 stairs every morning. No stains from spilling food. Any time I'm going to do an activity that involves sweat or dirt I'll change out of office clothes and into clothes suitable for that particular activity.

There is still a strong social stigma against not wearing the same outfit day in, day out, and some people have noticed I wear the same outfit for every videocall (I'm basically in videocalls all day every day, not just half an hour here and there). So I've started to wear several outfits every week and in my bedroom there are at least 3 half-worn work outfits: not clean enough to go back into the closet, not smelly enough to go in the laundry. It's extremely annoying.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8543 on: March 25, 2021, 04:53:33 AM »
Now we work from home, my work clothes don't get dirty anymore! No sweat from walking to work or going up 4 stairs every morning. No stains from spilling food. Any time I'm going to do an activity that involves sweat or dirt I'll change out of office clothes and into clothes suitable for that particular activity.

There is still a strong social stigma against not wearing the same outfit day in, day out, and some people have noticed I wear the same outfit for every videocall (I'm basically in videocalls all day every day, not just half an hour here and there). So I've started to wear several outfits every week and in my bedroom there are at least 3 half-worn work outfits: not clean enough to go back into the closet, not smelly enough to go in the laundry. It's extremely annoying.

Maybe tell them you have a "uniform," like Steve Jobs? He looked like he wore the same thing every day, but (he said) he just had a bunch of the same articles of clothing. Apparently it's something only the coolest people do. :-)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8544 on: March 25, 2021, 05:03:42 AM »

Some people get around that by just having 5 completely black T-shirts. One for every work day. Or so they say... ;)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8545 on: March 25, 2021, 06:24:38 AM »
I have a whole bin of work-quality clothes that were intended for dry-cleaning. that have sat, undisturbed, for fifty-three weeks.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8546 on: March 25, 2021, 06:40:55 AM »
About two years ago, I started trying to find a vanpool that works with my schedule and would come anywhere close to my house.  I kinda let up on looking when the whole Covid thing started (and was working a bunch of OT), but now that the vaccine has been given to everyone who wanted it at work, I'm feeling better about it.  I finally might have found a route that works perfectly, but the route coordinator isn't being very responsive to the Enterprise rep that handles our routes.  Ugh. 

ETA:  I've been offered OT for at least the next two weeks.  Watch, the route coordinator will suddenly decide that I need to start ASAP if I want the spot.  Figures.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:08:50 AM by Sugaree »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8547 on: March 25, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »

Some people get around that by just having 5 completely black T-shirts. One for every work day. Or so they say... ;)

Pre-pandemic I put in a lot of effort to find non-boring work appropriate clothes! So "unfortunately" most of my work clothes are in my favourite colours and do stand out.

I have a few basics, like the black dress that I've been wearing every day for at least a week. I have cardigans and blazers in several colours, I'll wear one of these on a call, let them air and put them back into the closet. No one notices that it's the same black dress underneath the grey cardigan and the green blazer and the red jacket.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8548 on: March 25, 2021, 12:11:38 PM »

I just refreshed my boring tshirt collection.  7 black 7 grey from Uniqlo.  I used to buy other colors but realized I didn’t wear them.

Maybe tell them you have a "uniform," like Steve Jobs? He looked like he wore the same thing every day, but (he said) he just had a bunch of the same articles of clothing. Apparently it's something only the coolest people do. :-)

It’s not a cool thing to do, but if you’re cool enough you don’t care

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8549 on: March 25, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »

Pre-pandemic I put in a lot of effort to find non-boring work appropriate clothes! So "unfortunately" most of my work clothes are in my favourite colours and do stand out.

I have a few basics, like the black dress that I've been wearing every day for at least a week. I have cardigans and blazers in several colours, I'll wear one of these on a call, let them air and put them back into the closet. No one notices that it's the same black dress underneath the grey cardigan and the green blazer and the red jacket.

Could find some cheap large scarves or necklaces?  Even if you're not a scarf person (I'm not either) you could tie it so little of your actual clothing shows on a zoom call.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!