Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086603 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2900 on: July 19, 2016, 07:15:13 AM »

But... I have a solution which does not involve buying a one-use item which I have no room to store anyway and then throwing it away when I've finished with it, as well as buying an expensive consumable (dry ice or, indeed, ice).
Sometimes I think people forget that this is Mustachian people problems for fun.

But.... it is a PROBLEM and I must SOLVE it for you.
Oh hell, I just realized that what I thought was helpful mustachian problem solving was merely a facade to hide the raging jealousy of the fact that you scored all that lovely, luscious wool. Sorry.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2901 on: July 19, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »

But... I have a solution which does not involve buying a one-use item which I have no room to store anyway and then throwing it away when I've finished with it, as well as buying an expensive consumable (dry ice or, indeed, ice).
Sometimes I think people forget that this is Mustachian people problems for fun.

Oh hell, I just realized that what I thought was helpful mustachian problem solving was merely a facade to hide the raging jealousy of the fact that you scored all that lovely, luscious wool. Sorry.

Shelivesthedream's newest MPP is that she has too many mustachian friends that want to help solve her other MPP, LOL!  You all are the best :-)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2902 on: July 19, 2016, 08:34:50 AM »
My mustachian problem: I want to be debt-free, but my mortgage is 2.875% interest, and I can't justify pre-paying it compared to what  Vanguard is earning. It'd feel nice, but I can't get comfortable with the opportunity cost.

And I have FIFTEEN YEARS OF THIS!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2903 on: July 19, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »
My mustachian problem: I want to be debt-free, but my mortgage is 2.875% interest, and I can't justify pre-paying it compared to what Vanguard is earning.
+1, exact same rate...

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2904 on: July 19, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »
My mustachian problem: I want to be debt-free, but my mortgage is 2.875% interest, and I can't justify pre-paying it compared to what Vanguard is earning.
+1, exact same rate...
Internet high five! I didn't qualify for this lender's lowest rate of 2.75% because my loan wasn't big enough. Oh, mustachian mortgage problems...

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2905 on: July 19, 2016, 09:03:01 AM »
I just experienced a hat-trick of MPP's.

First, I am just now deciding to follow this thread. MPP #1: I was trying to imagine how many non-working mornings it will take me to read 59 PAGES of comments... oh well, let's get started.

I was also wanting to contribute, and one of the first comments I read was the later thread by shelivesthedream regarding a full freezer.  This leads to my MPP #2:
Near my house there is a huge farmers market/rummage sale every weekend.  I never go, because they charge $3.00 to get in.  At the end of the weekend, all the vendors have to pay to use the dumpster to throw away the unsellable produce.  Instead, they drive it 1 mile away and stack it in the driveway of a man that email blasts people to come and pick through it for free.  He asks that human eaters come first, then animal feeders can come on Tuesday.  Anything left over he turns to composed.  I brought home zucchini, grapes, asparagus, lemons, oranges and a honeydew melon.   I filled our freezers with 70 cups of FREE shredded zucchini and now I do not have room to freeze the 8 POUNDS of sliced pepperoni I picked up in the sale meat bin for $1.25 a pound literally seconds before I got the email blast. I have no choice but to make jelly with the gallons of blackberries I picked for free last year to make room for the pepperoni.  But then I need room for this years berries. :)

While I was planning this post, I received MPP#3:  I was having my FIRE morning coffee and I spilled the whole thing all over me and my free couch.

I hope I properly captured the spirit of this thread.  Have a wonderful day.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2906 on: July 19, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

Shelivesthedream's newest MPP is that she has too many mustachian friends that want to help solve her other MPP, LOL!  You all are the best :-)

+1000!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2907 on: July 19, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
+1, exact same rate...
Internet high five! I didn't qualify for this lender's lowest rate of 2.75% because my loan wasn't big enough. Oh, mustachian mortgage problems...

I caved.  I paid off our mortgage even though the rate was a stupid low 2.375%.  That's about the same as just my mutual fund dividends, not to speak of retained earnings.  The math said no, but I couldn't help it.  I was completely aware it was an emotional decision.  To me it's worth the feeling of having all four walls paid off. 

Now DH's (pre-MMM) car loan on the other hand, that's 0.9%.  We don't pay a penny extra. 

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2908 on: July 19, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »
I caved.  I paid off our mortgage even though the rate was a stupid low 2.375%.  That's about the same as just my mutual fund dividends, not to speak of retained earnings.  The math said no, but I couldn't help it.  I was completely aware it was an emotional decision.  To me it's worth the feeling of having all four walls paid off. 

No shame in that choice.  You made the correct decision for your piece of mind.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2909 on: July 19, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »

Mmm... Mind chunklets...

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2910 on: July 19, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »
Now DH's (pre-MMM) car loan on the other hand, that's 0.9%.  We don't pay a penny extra.

Now it's my turn to say:
+1, exact same rate...

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2911 on: July 19, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »

Mmm... Mind chunklets...

tee hee hee

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2912 on: July 19, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »
LOL, no room in the freezer for those. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2913 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »

For a long time I've wanted to start a "Mustachian people problems (serious business)" thread

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2914 on: July 19, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »

For a long time I've wanted to start a "Mustachian people problems (serious business)" thread

Please do that.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2915 on: July 19, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »

+1000!

Just to add to the helpful and unwanted tips: heating the wool will also kill bugs. As long you don't shock or stir the fabric, heating to 90+ deg C is no problem. The wool must be in the water as you heat it, and be left in the water to slowly cool back to room temperature. I usually work with undyed wool, so I don't know if the colors would bleed. Maybe check with a smaller sample?

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #2916 on: July 19, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »

Please do that.
My first set of problems in such a thread would be that I recently trimmed my mustache down significantly IRL from its almost handlebar status due to the summer heat, and that I can't seem to find my monacle for proper reading of such serious matters.  These are troubling times, indeed.

Justin1911

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2917 on: July 19, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
I'm 30 and won't have my mortgage paid off for a few years because I want to keep the money in investment accounts.

My parents have helped my sisters financially but not me since I didn't need it.

I didn't gain anything from reading a Dave Ramsey book and saw that I was saving more money than he suggested (lots of my coworkers are big Dave Ramsey fans).

I started with Dave a few years ago. Since then I have intellectually graduated to MMM. Living what Dave preaches isn't a bad way to live. Its just amateur hour compared to a well tuned MMM lifestyle.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2918 on: July 19, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »
After my toaster oven broke (and I fixed it, and it broke, and I fixed it, and it broke and I gave up) I was shopping for a replacement. I wanted to get a decent quality one since this one lasted such a short time, but the only ones that were small enough to fit in my kitchen were either the cheapest, junkiest thing you could buy or the high-tech digital Compact Smart Oven (tm) that cost $180. Much rolling of eyes. Apparently toaster ovens are now "countertop convection ovens" and not just a way to cook frozen pizza and toast bread.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2919 on: July 19, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
After my toaster oven broke (and I fixed it, and it broke, and I fixed it, and it broke and I gave up) I was shopping for a replacement. I wanted to get a decent quality one since this one lasted such a short time, but the only ones that were small enough to fit in my kitchen were either the cheapest, junkiest thing you could buy or the high-tech digital Compact Smart Oven (tm) that cost $180. Much rolling of eyes. Apparently toaster ovens are now "countertop convection ovens" and not just a way to cook frozen pizza and toast bread.

I got one of the fancy pants ones as a gift, and I LOVE that thing! I actually use a good chunk on the functions on it - toast, bagel toast, bake, convection bake, broil, reheat. The thing can even function as a rotisserie if you want to cook a whole chicken! Today alone I've used it three times - toast for each of us, plus a batch of muffins. Some days it's even more. FUN FUN FUN!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2920 on: July 20, 2016, 03:44:17 AM »
In that same vein, have you seen a recent microwave oven? All I want is +30 sec, start, and stop.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2921 on: July 20, 2016, 03:50:43 AM »
In that same vein, have you seen a recent microwave oven? All I want is +30 sec, start, and stop.

Eh, I do like having high, medium and low so I can use low to melt chocolate and soften butter. But my parents bought a new one a while ago and it's like a freaking space station.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2922 on: July 20, 2016, 05:13:12 AM »
Eh, I do like having high, medium and low so I can use low to melt chocolate and soften butter. But my parents bought a new one a while ago and it's like a freaking space station.

Just start and stop would work for me; or even start and 'shut off because I've opened the door'. The few times I need low power I'll blitz for a couple of seconds or put a cup of water in to take some of the energy from the butter. This might be a terrible idea for chocolate but I only melt chocolate bars in my coffee.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2923 on: July 20, 2016, 05:21:42 AM »
Some power% options as well.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2924 on: July 20, 2016, 05:36:41 AM »
Percentages?! You can have high/low, but that's it.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2925 on: July 20, 2016, 06:14:23 AM »
Realistically, I only ever use 100% and 50%, so basically that haha.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2926 on: July 20, 2016, 07:12:23 AM »
I use 10% for "Crap, I was supposed to pull the butter out to soften for this recipe."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2927 on: July 20, 2016, 07:36:15 AM »
I use 10% for "Crap, I was supposed to pull the butter out to soften for this recipe."
Or "Let's defrost this little piece of meat without cooking part of it." Time cook, percent power, and the timer, that is all I ever use on my microwave.  Total control.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #2928 on: July 20, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »

Just start and stop would work for me; or even start and 'shut off because I've opened the door'. The few times I need low power I'll blitz for a couple of seconds or put a cup of water in to take some of the energy from the butter. This might be a terrible idea for chocolate but I only melt chocolate bars in my coffee.

Just set the cook time to 99 minutes or something. As long as the time doesn't reset when you open the door, then the only button you ever need after that is the start button. Don't cancel the time after you open the door, just leave it sitting in there for the next run.

Side benefit of annoying your OCD SO if you leave "unfinished time" on the microwave

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2929 on: July 20, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
Other kids exercise their math skill by playing shopkeeper and customer. My kids play library, with fake library cards and everything.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2930 on: July 20, 2016, 02:12:38 PM »
[
Side benefit of annoying your OCD SO if you leave "unfinished time" on the microwave

Evil!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2931 on: July 20, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
Other kids exercise their math skill by playing shopkeeper and customer. My kids play library, with fake library cards and everything.

This is so cute!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2932 on: July 20, 2016, 04:10:52 PM »
Me, too! 'Cause, COOKIES!
I always stock up on butter when the good stuff's cheap and freeze it, so, yeah, that's me.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2933 on: July 21, 2016, 04:07:04 AM »
MPP: Friend brought her toddler round. For context, said kid watches a lot of TV. We have a CRT TV. Hey, it was free, it was a really expensive model back in the day, and the picture quality is excellent. Yeah it's chunky, but it works!

Kid points at massive TV, frowns, looks at mother and says, "What is that?".

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2934 on: July 21, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »

I got one of the fancy pants ones as a gift, and I LOVE that thing! I actually use a good chunk on the functions on it - toast, bagel toast, bake, convection bake, broil, reheat. The thing can even function as a rotisserie if you want to cook a whole chicken! Today alone I've used it three times - toast for each of us, plus a batch of muffins. Some days it's even more. FUN FUN FUN!

A convection oven is worth it because I don't have to heat the whole oven.  I use it to heat leftovers or cook smaller items.  It's a million degrees outside right now, so I would pay for heating the whole oven then pay for the air conditioner to pump the heat out of the house. 

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2935 on: July 22, 2016, 08:27:46 AM »
So I think these count as Mustachian problems.

My 401k can only bet set as a %, so I have mine set to the % needed to max it for the year.
This week my manager called me and told me that I was getting a raise.  My first thought was, damn the math to refigure the % on my 401k mid year to get it exactly right is going to be complicated! 

My husband and I do the yours-mine-ours thing with our finances, so I don't really keep tabs on what he does beyond the shared expenses/savings.  So last week he told me that he noticed his bank account balances were getting kind of high, so he offered me a mid 5-figure amount to put towards our house, but he's leaving it up to me how to allocate it.  Now I'm stressing about whether to apply it to the mortgage (it'd knock off ~40% of it), put it towards home improvements we've talked about saving for (fixing an unsightly fence, redoing and expanding our deck, potentially adding a second bathroom), or even as a down payment on buying the lake house where I spent all my summer weekends as a child from my parents.  I have financial stuff pretty carefully planned usually, and making a good decision here is stressing me out!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2936 on: July 22, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
[

Evil!

I hate you both, and my DW, and my coworkers... also, it's "CDO"... the letters need to be alphabetical... *twitch*

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2937 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »
                                  ... also, it's "CDO"... the letters need to be alphabetical... *twitch*
Agreed! I have posted the same rule on other threads before, because...order.

However, you paraphrased a bit, thus lessening the urgency:

It's CDO because "Letters must be in alphabetical order."

The *twitch* is perfect.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2938 on: July 22, 2016, 10:19:56 AM »

A convection oven is worth it because I don't have to heat the whole oven.  I use it to heat leftovers or cook smaller items.  It's a million degrees outside right now, so I would pay for heating the whole oven then pay for the air conditioner to pump the heat out of the house.

It's also a lot easier to move to a counter in the garage, which is where mine goes every summer, along with the hot air popcorn popper. If we drank coffee, the pot would round out the threesome. It's mid-summer and we haven't turned the A/C on yet.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2939 on: July 22, 2016, 10:44:29 AM »
Well, whatever - for a single person like myself who's not at home very much, it didn't seem worth it to pay an extra $150 for the fancy toaster oven ;-)  My $25 one should be waiting for me when I get home tonight.

MPP: I'm really sleepy at work today because, just as I was getting into bed last night, my phone pinged with an e-mail from someone via craigslist wanting to buy the thing I was selling. First bite on it since I posted it last week! Was eager to sell, so I got up and went to the computer and spent 45 minutes in back-and-forth e-mails. Went to bed with money in my Paypal account, and couldn't fall asleep for a while because I was feeling energized about the sale. *yawn*

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2940 on: July 22, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »
also, it's "CDO"... the letters need to be alphabetical... *twitch*

Oh that drives me absolutely nuts. Because now the acronym doesn't work!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2941 on: July 22, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
I hate you both, and my DW, and my coworkers... also, it's "CDO"... the letters need to be alphabetical... *twitch*

Ginpttu all eht eelrstt in aaabcehillpt edorr aekms ghinst a bit adhr ot ader.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2942 on: July 22, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »

But, interestingly, still possible.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2943 on: July 22, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »

But, interestingly, still possible.

Psycholinguistic evidence on scrambled letters in reading
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2944 on: August 03, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »

I was also wanting to contribute, and one of the first comments I read was the later thread by shelivesthedream regarding a full freezer.  This leads to my MPP #2:
Near my house there is a huge farmers market/rummage sale every weekend.  I never go, because they charge $3.00 to get in.  At the end of the weekend, all the vendors have to pay to use the dumpster to throw away the unsellable produce.  Instead, they drive it 1 mile away and stack it in the driveway of a man that email blasts people to come and pick through it for free.  He asks that human eaters come first, then animal feeders can come on Tuesday.  Anything left over he turns to composed.  I brought home zucchini, grapes, asparagus, lemons, oranges and a honeydew melon.   I filled our freezers with 70 cups of FREE shredded zucchini and now I do not have room to freeze the 8 POUNDS of sliced pepperoni I picked up in the sale meat bin for $1.25 a pound literally seconds before I got the email blast. I have no choice but to make jelly with the gallons of blackberries I picked for free last year to make room for the pepperoni.  But then I need room for this years berries. :)

That is an AMAZING deal!

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2945 on: August 03, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »
Mustachian problem:

Somehow, I did the math wrong and maxed out my 401k on July 15 instead of Decmeber 31. WTF, I thought being Mustachian meant I was supposed to be good at math.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2946 on: August 03, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »
Mustachian problem:

Somehow, I did the math wrong and maxed out my 401k on July 15 instead of Decmeber 31. WTF, I thought being Mustachian meant I was supposed to be good at math.

Oops.

But hey you're still far better off than people who don't even come close to maxing their 401k!
I've had to explain to a couple people what maxing a 401k even means...they didn't realize there was a limit since they'd never even considered contributing more than however much they were auto enrolled for.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2947 on: August 03, 2016, 09:35:22 PM »
My Mustachian problem today is wishing I had come to my senses sooner. My former financial advisor, whom I had to email about some money that still hasn't transferred to Vanguard, mentioned that he is taking out a loan to finance his wedding. :-o And this guy was giving me financial advice...!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2948 on: August 04, 2016, 04:39:15 AM »
My Mustachian problem today is wishing I had come to my senses sooner. My former financial advisor, whom I had to email about some money that still hasn't transferred to Vanguard, mentioned that he is taking out a loan to finance his wedding. :-o And this guy was giving me financial advice...!

Maybe he can get a higher return than his interest rate on the loan?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2949 on: August 04, 2016, 05:49:04 AM »

Maybe he can get a higher return than his interest rate on the loan?

Huh? The post literally says, "To finance his wedding", not, "to invest". Unless by return you mean that he will get more generous wedding presents? I don't understand.

I do appreciate the old devil's advocate, but it can take the fun out of this thread if everyone is coming up with alternative scenarios that yes, whilst possible, are unlikely given the context. The dude said it was to finance his wedding... let's just take him at his word... and laugh at him behind his back.