Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087031 times)

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1400 on: June 15, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
With every item from the library that you request online and placed on hold, there is a paper receipt in it when you go to check them out. Our living room is constantly littered with these things. Everywhere I look, I find one! I swear I am constantly going around and picking up a stack of them to throw in the recycling.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: June 15, 2015, 08:54:46 PM »
Because of a week in a rental vacation house I'm probably going to go over the monthly $250 limit on bonus points for groceries on my usual groceries card. No sympathy from any of my friends who can't get past the fact that I normally spend less than $250 a month on groceries.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1402 on: June 16, 2015, 05:12:41 AM »
I have so few clothes that my loads of laundry aren't as efficient as they could be.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1403 on: June 16, 2015, 05:56:21 AM »
With every item from the library that you request online and placed on hold, there is a paper receipt in it when you go to check them out. Our living room is constantly littered with these things. Everywhere I look, I find one! I swear I am constantly going around and picking up a stack of them to throw in the recycling.

Library receipts are my free note paper for grocery list, to-do list, bedside middle of the night thought list, etc. I will have to figure out something else if they ever do away with the paper receipts!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1404 on: June 16, 2015, 08:06:57 AM »
You're happy when your company's stock price drops, because then your golden handcuffs loosen and then maybe it's not worth sticking around and you could RE even sooner...

You realize that it's silly to get 10 cents off a gallon of gas when your net worth fluctuates every day by more than the value of your car, but you still do it because hey, that's like a free dollar...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1405 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »
I have so few clothes that my loads of laundry aren't as efficient as they could be.

I like that my washer picks the amount of water it uses based on how much I put into it.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1406 on: June 16, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »
This happened to me today: I spend so little money that when I went to make sure I paid all my bills, I saw a payment to the utilities for the apartment I moved out of a month ago. I almost called them and kept wondering why I would have sent them money. Then I noticed that, despite being my third most recent transaction, it was over a month old.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1407 on: June 17, 2015, 05:07:52 AM »
I've found it's quite stressful living paycheck to paycheck now. I have to meticulously add up my expected expenses to ensure that my checking account doesn't overdraft after I transfer my ongoing net income to Vanguard

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1408 on: June 17, 2015, 06:11:05 AM »
I've found it's quite stressful living paycheck to paycheck now. I have to meticulously add up my expected expenses to ensure that my checking account doesn't overdraft after I transfer my ongoing net income to Vanguard
Why don't just just add a grand of butter cash to your checking account, it won't hurt your bottom line but make over drafting a non-issue.
d
Mmm... Butter cash.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1409 on: June 17, 2015, 07:49:52 AM »
Why don't just just add a grand of butter cash to your checking account, it won't hurt your bottom line but make over drafting a non-issue.
d
Mmm... Butter cash.

Those are two of my favorite things... butter and cash.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1410 on: June 17, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »
The pangs of opportunity cost not investing $1000 would bug me a lot less than incurring any kind of unnecessary bank fee!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1411 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:42 AM »
The pangs of opportunity cost not investing $1000 would bug me a lot less than incurring any kind of unnecessary bank fee!

You'd faint at the sight of my mint account summary. 

Have you not lived through a heart-palpitation inducing stock market crash?  I've been through two.  I don't do 'no cash'. 

(before you try to school me on this: I've read tons of Bogleheads and I'm familiar with the math that shows holding cash is a net drag on my stash.  I get it.  But that understanding doesn't help me sleep at night.  This is hereby a preventative parenthetical: no need to make foam in this thread educating me on the perils of holding cash). 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1412 on: June 17, 2015, 08:38:45 AM »
I'm tired of people on my baby-app telling me to apply for medicaid.

There are a number of threads about cost of care. I've said, with no judgement about if this is a lot or not, that my care + delivery will probably cost $4,000-6,000, since I am due in January- so the out of pocket year resets (and delivery alone costs about $2,500, and the out of pocket max is about $6,000).

I also have a $75 co-pay with my OB, which I mentioned on another thread. Again, with no judgement of whether this is a lot of money or not.

I am getting countless messages to apply for medicaid, with many saying "the qualifying amount is higher for pregnant women".

Yes- paying a few thousand dollars sucks, but it isn't going to even make a dent! We are so far beyond being able to qualify for medicaid. It seems like bizarre advice.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1413 on: June 17, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »

You'd faint at the sight of my mint account summary. 

Have you not lived through a heart-palpitation inducing stock market crash?  I've been through two.  I don't do 'no cash'. 

(before you try to school me on this: I've read tons of Bogleheads and I'm familiar with the math that shows holding cash is a net drag on my stash.  I get it.  But that understanding doesn't help me sleep at night.  This is hereby a preventative parenthetical: no need to make foam in this thread educating me on the perils of holding cash).
I love both the term and what's included in your "preventative parenthetical" M41!

I've noticed that post FIRE we seem to amass cash staggeringly quickly. I'll see your 1k and raise it a zero or two. I understand optimization when one is paying off debts and accruing a stash, but once those elements are in place, a little or even a lot of extra cash in a low-inflation period isn't the end of the world.

Recently, DH and I bought our first flip with a Partner. We were discussing financing options before the purchase. Partner says "How do you want to handle the mortgage?" I think we shocked her when we looked at each other and said, "We'll pay cash". Then we all laughed when she said, "Okay, I will too."

The flip has been a breeze except for the bullshit HOA. So glad we're not under the stress of the interest meter running while they dick us around over whether or not to approve our choice of exterior color (even though it's first one on their approved list and the neighbors have signed off) and we can't get a building permit from the city without an approval letter from the HOA. In the end, we will make enough to more than cover the delay, but I am relieved that we're not paying massive chunks of front loaded mortgage interest in the meantime.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1414 on: June 17, 2015, 09:18:31 AM »

I've noticed that post FIRE we seem to amass cash staggeringly quickly. I'll see your 1k and raise it a zero or two. I understand optimization when one is paying off debts and accruing a stash, but once those elements are in place, a little or even a lot of extra cash in a low-inflation period isn't the end of the world.

Recently, DH and I bought our first flip with a Partner. We were discussing financing options before the purchase. Partner says "How do you want to handle the mortgage?" I think we shocked her when we looked at each other and said, "We'll pay cash". Then we all laughed when she said, "Okay, I will too."

The flip has been a breeze except for the bullshit HOA. So glad we're not under the stress of the interest meter running while they dick us around over whether or not to approve our choice of exterior color (even though it's first one on their approved list and the neighbors have signed off) and we can't get a building permit from the city without an approval letter from the HOA. In the end, we will make enough to more than cover the delay, but I am relieved that we're not paying massive chunks of front loaded mortgage interest in the meantime.

Diance C I like your style.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1415 on: June 17, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
Went to the bank to double check on a banking issue (accidently double deposited a $2,000+ check from a family friend who couldn't take the double hit to her bank for 2-3 days) and after everything was fixed, the guy told me I should open up a new CC, they just upped their rewards.

I'm actually looking at getting a new card anyways, so I asked him to tell me more - basically everything is 1% cash-back with a 50% bonus if cash back goes into your bank account.  I told him that 1.5% is worse than my current 2.0% rate and has a higher fee - no thanks.  He then explained that I get a 50% bonus "on top of the 1%".  I explained how "1%+ 50% of 1% = 1.5%", which is less than 2%.  He pulls out a piece of paper "to show me the math" and to "let me see how much I am losing out on".  Took him another 1-2 minutes before he realized that I can do simple math in my head.

He tried to then move to how it is a lower interest rate and I could move my balance over and save more that way - I just walked away at that point.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1416 on: June 17, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
Took him another 1-2 minutes before he realized that I can do simple math in my head.
It's funny when people don't believe that this is a thing people can do. I was in a meeting yesterday trying to come up with a proposal and my boss kept saying things like "Ok... so what if we offer him $1000 off the $5000 price, what percentage discount is that?" and I'd say "20%" and they would just look at me, and look at each other, and then one would figure it out on a calculator. "That's... let's see... 20%." And then move on to the next one "What would it be if we took 10% off the $4000 rate?" Me: "$3600" Them: Funny look, punches it in on calculator... "That's.... $3600."  I stopped bothering after a few rounds of that, LOL.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1417 on: June 17, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »
Took him another 1-2 minutes before he realized that I can do simple math in my head.
It's funny when people don't believe that this is a thing people can do. I was in a meeting yesterday trying to come up with a proposal and my boss kept saying things like "Ok... so what if we offer him $1000 off the $5000 price, what percentage discount is that?" and I'd say "20%" and they would just look at me, and look at each other, and then one would figure it out on a calculator. "That's... let's see... 20%." And then move on to the next one "What would it be if we took 10% off the $4000 rate?" Me: "$3600" Them: Funny look, punches it in on calculator... "That's.... $3600."  I stopped bothering after a few rounds of that, LOL.

I know this has been mentioned repeatedly, but the same thing happens at the cash register. You hand the cashier an odd amount of coins, so that your change will be some nice round number, and she can't figure out why the weird number of coins. So she punches it in, and then is surprised at what your change turns out to be. I've seen that "how did you do that" look many times.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1418 on: June 17, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »
With every item from the library that you request online and placed on hold, there is a paper receiptfree bookmark in it when you go to check them out. Our living room is constantly littered with these things. Everywhere I look, I find one! I swear I am constantly going around and picking up a stack of them to throw in the recycling.

fixed.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1419 on: June 17, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »
Regarding percentages -

After my recent appraisal at work my boss told me that the CEO had decided to hand out a flat percentage increase for everyone, which my boss tried to tell me was fair because everyone gets the same. I thought to myself, well a flat percentage of a lower salary is still fewer dollars, so everyone doesn't get the same, but I didn't feel like pointing that out, for fear of sounding like a b*tch. Maybe he already realized that, but didn't want to acknowledge it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1420 on: June 17, 2015, 01:23:16 PM »
Regarding percentages -

After my recent appraisal at work my boss told me that the CEO had decided to hand out a flat percentage increase for everyone, which my boss tried to tell me was fair because everyone gets the same. I thought to myself, well a flat percentage of a lower salary is still fewer dollars, so everyone doesn't get the same, but I didn't feel like pointing that out, for fear of sounding like a b*tch. Maybe he already realized that, but didn't want to acknowledge it.

My husband used to get so mad because the way the Air Force did raises, higher level officers got a higher percent increase than more junior officers.  He was told it is because the senior officers are expected to maintain a certain standard of living associated with their position.  Every year my husband would come home screaming "percents already do that! They already get more!"

Now he is in a civilian job, and he's a bit sad because the percent increase is so low, if a raise exists at all.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #1421 on: June 17, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
Not looking forward to going  back to work after my maternity... all those awkward silences after someone asks me what TV/reality shows I watched while I was off ... OR just sitting there listening to them retell episode of ridiculous shows as if it was someone's LIFE ... omg ...

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »
So used to shopping, cooking and eating simple whole foods that I'm not even sure how to use a $15 off $50 coupon at our new neighborhood Whole Foods.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: June 17, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
So used to shopping, cooking and eating simple whole foods that I'm not even sure how to use a $15 off $50 coupon at our new neighborhood Whole Foods.
Just buy a very small amount of simple food ;-)

Their take out pizza is very good and reasonably priced

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1424 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »

How about buying some whole foods at Whole Foods? They have quite a selection. ;-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1425 on: June 17, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

Diance C I like your style.
Hey, thanks, M41, I like yours too. Um, do you think I could borrow some money?

(Yeah, just kidding. Sometimes my fingers type the craziest shit.)

Funny, my bro called me today to say he just sent a check for the $15k I fronted to spring my dad from a rebab facility after he broke his hip a few months back. Then DH got an offer he couldn't refuse for our RV this week and it's gone. WTF?? What am I supposed to do with all this extra cash? (Rhetorical question.) Seriously, I actually think we're going to buy a car for me with it. Don't worry it's used. Nice, but used. Mustachian People Problems, indeed!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1426 on: June 18, 2015, 02:34:06 AM »
Wait until you see someone add $1 to an small amount on a calculator.
I was quite happy she looked down at the calculator at that time, because I know I did not have a very nice look on my face.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1427 on: June 18, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »
The hyperbole in this thread literally makes me want to vomit
I think you mean figuratively.

Unless you are allergic to hyperbole, in which case we may be required to have a warning label on the thread.

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #1428 on: June 18, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »
With every item from the library that you request online and placed on hold, there is a paper receiptfree bookmark in it when you go to check them out. Our living room is constantly littered with these things. Everywhere I look, I find one! I swear I am constantly going around and picking up a stack of them to throw in the recycling.

fixed.

HaHa! Of course they are! But once you finish the book you no longer need the bookmark as every other book already has one too!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: June 18, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »

How about buying some whole foods at Whole Foods? They have quite a selection. ;-)

Yeah, but I can get almost all their whole foods cheaper at Sprouts. I'm going to check my price book and play around a little. I think I decided I might just use the 30-percent off coupon to stock up on expensive high-quality fats: Kerrygold grass-fed butter, Dr. Bronner's coconut oil, Crown Prince canned brisling sardines, 365-store-brand canned wild Alaska salmon and possibly some pine nuts. That should get me up to $50 fairly quickly.

I'm going to their "value/budget buying" in-store tour on Friday, I need to ask how many items you need to buy to get the case-lot discount.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:07:45 PM by jengod »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1430 on: June 18, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »

Yeah, but I can get almost all their whole foods cheaper at Sprouts. I'm going to check my price book and play around a little. I think I decided I might just use the 30-percent off coupon to stock up on expensive high-quality fats: Kerrygold grass-fed butter, Dr. Bronner's coconut oil, Crown Prince canned brisling sardines, 365-store-brand canned wild Alaska salmon and possibly some pine nuts. That should get me up to $50 fairly quickly.

I'm going to their "value/budget buying" in-store tour on Friday, I need to ask how many items you need to buy to get the case-lot discount.

Well you will be getting a 30% discount on anything you buy up to $50, so might as well splurge a little. Are the costs at Sprouts really more than 30% cheaper? Don't know as I don't have a Sprouts around me. Good idea to buy stuff at Whole Foods 30% off that you can't find at Sprouts.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: June 18, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »

fixed.

HaHa! Of course they are! But once you finish the book you no longer need the bookmark as every other book already has one too!

And anyway the old punchcard system provided a reusable bookmark as well as letting you see what other people had read the book which provided a nice sense of connection.

#ludditeproblems

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1432 on: June 19, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
I got a new rainbarrel and hooked it up to the drain so that I could water the garden in dry spells. Yesterday we had a small shower and the barrel was completely full (about 25 gallons of it). Now I feel that I should have gotten a bigger barrel for more free water :/

My wife also got her tax return quantified. I noticed that she didn't pay enough taxes to reach the maximum return. I.e. she didn't pay any taxes and wouldn't have done so for another couple hundred more :(

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #1433 on: June 19, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »

I tought I live a stress because I keep an average balance of about 10k$ in the checking account and shoveling everything else into Vanguard index ETFs and killing mortgage principal!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1434 on: June 19, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »

I tought I live a stress because I keep an average balance of about 10k$ in the checking account and shoveling everything else into Vanguard index ETFs and killing mortgage principal!

I hate this kind of stress and always kept enough of a buffer in the account so i didn't need to worry about small discrepancies.  Stress kills and I prefer living.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1435 on: June 19, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »

I hate this kind of stress and always kept enough of a buffer in the account so i didn't need to worry about small discrepancies.  Stress kills and I prefer living.
Yep.  Once mis-timed some things while keeping my checking account as close to zero as possible, ended up returning a rent check, costing me about $200 total in extra fees and a lot of hassle and stress (including a scary letter and some pissed off roommates).  Not worth it.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #1436 on: June 19, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »

Yep.  Once mis-timed some things while keeping my checking account as close to zero as possible, ended up returning a rent check, costing me about $200 total in extra fees and a lot of hassle and stress (including a scary letter and some pissed off roommates).  Not worth it.

To me, having 5,000$ in my checking account is like many people arround me having 50$, I feel broke even tough I know everything will be fine. Can't believe they go out tonight, spending 100$ each with money that was deposit on thurday. Next week, we dont't get paid so spending will be reduced accordingly :(

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1437 on: June 19, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »

To me, having 5,000$ in my checking account is like many people arround me having 50$, I feel broke even tough I know everything will be fine. Can't believe they go out tonight, spending 100$ each with money that was deposit on thurday. Next week, we dont't get paid so spending will be reduced accordingly :(

That's okay, if I pay with my credit card I have all month before I worry about whether I can afford something I already spent money on!  ;)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: June 19, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »

Well you will be getting a 30% discount on anything you buy up to $50, so might as well splurge a little. Are the costs at Sprouts really more than 30% cheaper? Don't know as I don't have a Sprouts around me. Good idea to buy stuff at Whole Foods 30% off that you can't find at Sprouts.

I stocked up the butter, the sardines, $12 of fancypants nectarines and a couple of gourmet lunchables boxes for my kids that violate all sense and personal values but we made for a nice break from cooking and cleanup. No lunch prep/cleanup today and now my kitchen is CLEEEEAAAAAN, whoo-hoo.

(FWIW, canned beans are $1.39 at WF, and $0.99 at Sprouts, just for example. I also try to avoid excess packaging where possible--although I obv. violated that with the lunchables. This is all small potatoes stuff!)

Thank you all for your attention to this dull-normal grocery topic. :)

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #1439 on: June 19, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »
I got a new rainbarrel and hooked it up to the drain so that I could water the garden in dry spells. Yesterday we had a small shower and the barrel was completely full (about 25 gallons of it). Now I feel that I should have gotten a bigger barrel for more free water :/

That problem doesn't go away, it just scales up. My grandparents looked at their 5000 litre (approx. 1000 gallon) tank overflowing and decided they needed another one. Farmers ...

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #1440 on: June 21, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
I have a Canadian American Express gift card, and I can use it at Apple and Amazon for example, I do not live in Canada so have limited options to spend it. And even though it was free money, I am so reluctant to spend it! I would rather cash it and invest or put towards the mortgage, but have to spend it on stuff I do not really, really need. I am surprised how tough it is.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1441 on: June 21, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »
I have a Canadian American Express gift card, and I can use it at Apple and Amazon for example, I do not live in Canada so have limited options to spend it. And even though it was free money, I am so reluctant to spend it! I would rather cash it and invest or put towards the mortgage, but have to spend it on stuff I do not really, really need. I am surprised how tough it is.

Why not sell it on ebay for cash?

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #1442 on: June 21, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
Not sure how that would work with international money transfer? And how can the person buying it ensure that it has not been used?

Edit: Just read up on it. It could work via ebay -> paypal -> bank account, but paypal would take 2,5% for currency exchange. I would also have to pay for international insured shipping, three times for three cards, as ebay allows only one giftcard to be sold per week. Might be worth it still, thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:47:22 AM by Shamantha »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1443 on: June 21, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »
Our company accountant didn't believe me that adding 10% tax to an amount is equivalent to multiplying by 1.1, they insisted on working out the 0.1 tax and then adding the original - my way was "just your theory" !!!!!

ps. I have 2 graduate degrees in nuclear physics and I'm head of R&D,  I think you can trust me to do basic arithmetic

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: June 21, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »
Our company accountant didn't believe me that adding 10% tax to an amount is equivalent to multiplying by 1.1, they insisted on working out the 0.1 tax and then adding the original - my way was "just your theory" !!!!!

ps. I have 2 graduate degrees in nuclear physics and I'm head of R&D,  I think you can trust me to do basic arithmetic

Please tell me this person doesn't have an actual accounting degree or a CPA or anything. Please.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1445 on: June 21, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
Please tell me this person doesn't have an actual accounting degree or a CPA or anything. Please.
Probably officially the office manager, payroll is outsourced (thankfully) but they do the expenses spreadsheet.

Although I have met lots of people in finance who are incapable of estimating results and will believe anything the spreadsheet tells them.
I was once congratulated in an AGM for landing a $XXXX massive foreign contract.
I later (away from the shareholders) explained it was for less than 1/100 of that - it was just a small consulting assignment.
The euro currency symbol hadn't been displayed in their email but instead the numeric code had been printed in front of the amount - and they had believed it.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:23:40 AM by nobodyspecial »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1446 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »

Trust but verify. Seriously though I never believe estimates, and I was taught not to estimate things.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: June 21, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
Trust but verify. Seriously though I never believe estimates, and I was taught not to estimate things.
You should always estimate things first - especially if a computer is involved.
House is about 30x30 ft so one inch of rain fills 20gallons.
3x3 is about 10, and 10x10 is 100 so that's about 1000sq ft, divide by 10 for 1 inch = 100 cu ft. A 5 gallon bucket is about a ft on a side so say 20 gallons.
If the computer says 123,456.789 then you probably pressed a wrong button or had something in metric

Funnily enough the more difficult the problem, the more you should estimate because the more chance of getting a wrong answer somewhere

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:22:42 AM by nobodyspecial »

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #1448 on: June 21, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »

That problem doesn't go away, it just scales up. My grandparents looked at their 5000 litre (approx. 1000 gallon) tank overflowing and decided they needed another one. Farmers ...

Unless you have extremely high water bills it is less expensive to buy water than pay for the water barrel.  That said, I use one we scrounged.  I am also setting up two more barrels for drip irrigation.  The idea is that we fill the barrels and let the drippers run so we use less water. 

If you know someone that has cattle they will often have a large number of the mineral buckets--about 20-30 gallon short black barrels with lids.  Make great planters or small water barrels.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1449 on: June 21, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »

Unless you have extremely high water bills it is less expensive to buy water than pay for the water barrel.  That said, I use one we scrounged.  I am also setting up two more barrels for drip irrigation.  The idea is that we fill the barrels and let the drippers run so we use less water. 

If you know someone that has cattle they will often have a large number of the mineral buckets--about 20-30 gallon short black barrels with lids.  Make great planters or small water barrels.

True but rainwater has less minerals - which our tapwaters has lots of - which is appearently better for our veggie garden. And in case of a water outage we can flush the can with our barrel water saving the stuff in the fridge for consumption :P