Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086674 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5700 on: November 19, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
My bread recipe didn't work, because the dough didn't raise, because apparently 17°C is not the "room temperature" they expected. Dammit.

Bread will still rise at those temperatures, just a bit slower. I always do mine in the refrigerator overnight, so 17C is not a big deal. If it didn't rise at all your yeast may need replacing...
Ha! I immediately thought of you and your (in)famous Parker House Rolls, @Dollar Slice!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5701 on: November 19, 2018, 06:17:17 PM »
Ha! I immediately thought of you and your (in)famous Parker House Rolls, @Dollar Slice!

My reputation is both a blessing and a curse! ;-)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5702 on: November 19, 2018, 11:45:35 PM »
Slow rise should develop more flavor. How fast dough rises involved several factors including temperature. If your recipe only mentions time and not raise until doubled or some other measure who know what temperature was assumed. It probably differs depending on the original email the recipe w was written in. Were hearing or a/c common on that era? Was the type of bread typically made in winter, summer or year round, etc.

So true! I once tried imitating a recipe from an Indonesian friend. Well.. I learnt that rising 40 min in Dutch winter doesn't work as well as in Indonesian tropical weather :p

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5703 on: November 20, 2018, 06:56:33 AM »
When I let pizza dough rise, I put it in a tall bowl lightly sprayed with Pam. Then add the dough to the bowl. I typically preheat the oven just a few minutes. Just to create a warm atmosphere then turn off the oven. I take out a flour sack towel and run it under very warm water and squeeze it out and fold it to double thickness and cover the top of the bowl. Put bowl in the oven for an hour or two. Typically it rises to double size.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5704 on: November 21, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
SO and I switched jobs around the same time - significant pay bump!

Our old jobs paid biweekly, with an offset schedule, so we got a paycheck every week. Our new jobs pay us monthly within 2 days of each other. It makes it hard to feel wealthier! We only get to budget once a month now, instead of having something to play with every week. Having all this money makes budgeting less fun...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5705 on: November 21, 2018, 10:27:09 AM »
Having all this money makes budgeting less fun...

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5706 on: November 21, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »

This is PERFECT. Had to go look up the what if? it's from. Very glad it's all digital, at least.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5707 on: November 21, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »

Our old jobs paid biweekly, with an offset schedule, so we got a paycheck every week. Our new jobs pay us monthly within 2 days of each other. It makes it hard to feel wealthier! We only get to budget once a month now, instead of having something to play with every week. Having all this money makes budgeting less fun...

Our money just follows The Plan. So boring.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5708 on: November 22, 2018, 01:20:10 AM »
DH received a new bank card to replace his older. So he checked that it worked and then cut up his old card in many small pieces, so that the number wasn't readable. Yesterday I was ordering a new phone. Everyone this bank  lets ut choose a cashback area for the credit card. I could find out what I had chosen this month (I should find a system for this). DH had not made his choice yet. So he chose 5% on electronics, so that we could pay the phone with his card. But it turned out that he only had 2 debet cards left in his wallet and had chopped up his credit card. We only needed the number of the card, but we didn't have that anymore. DH had to order e whole new card for 15$.
I used my credit card, where I had probably chosen 3% on online purchases.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5709 on: November 22, 2018, 01:29:59 AM »

This is PERFECT. Had to go look up the what if? it's from. Very glad it's all digital, at least.

Looks like XKCD although I cannot remember this one.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5710 on: November 22, 2018, 05:27:21 AM »
If you click on the pic, the URL is https://what-if.xkcd.com/118/ .
it is a what-if  (Physical Salary ),not xkcd.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5711 on: November 22, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »

I totally feel your pain. I switched jobs last month and went from monthly to weekly payment. All my bills + transfers to savings and investments were automatic so I cancelled a lot of them. I'm transferring savings + investments manually now until I've found the most convenient new bill paying routine.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5712 on: November 25, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »
Mustachian Problem: I can't do my annual detailed grocery tracking anymore, because the main place I shop at these days doesn't do normal itemized receipts. I used to spend one month every year saving all my grocery receipts and then categorizing everything and doing a nice report with pie charts and everything.

This place seems to divide everything in the store into four categories: Chinese, English, Produce, and Tofu. There might be one for meat as well, but I'm a vegan so I don't buy that. So the receipts say "Chinese - 2.99" or whatever, but not what the item is. You could probably puzzle your receipt out with some sleuthing and a good memory, but it's more work than I'm willing to do. At least I still have my total amounts at month end.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5713 on: November 25, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »

I totally feel your pain. I switched jobs last month and went from monthly to weekly payment. All my bills + transfers to savings and investments were automatic so I cancelled a lot of them. I'm transferring savings + investments manually now until I've found the most convenient new bill paying routine.

DW just got a new job, starts in a couple weeks. Her current job has an offset pay schedule to mine and it has been great getting to update the spreadsheets every week... fingers crossed the new job is the same, waiting two whole weeks for new income will get boring. Heart goes out to the once per month paycheck folk.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #5714 on: November 25, 2018, 06:54:55 PM »
I had a high quality plastic spork. It broke today, snapped in half after only about 20 years of use. Now I have to find a replacement. :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5717 on: November 26, 2018, 08:31:59 AM »
Mustachian Problem: I can't do my annual detailed grocery tracking anymore, because the main place I shop at these days doesn't do normal itemized receipts. I used to spend one month every year saving all my grocery receipts and then categorizing everything and doing a nice report with pie charts and everything.

This place seems to divide everything in the store into four categories: Chinese, English, Produce, and Tofu. There might be one for meat as well, but I'm a vegan so I don't buy that. So the receipts say "Chinese - 2.99" or whatever, but not what the item is. You could probably puzzle your receipt out with some sleuthing and a good memory, but it's more work than I'm willing to do. At least I still have my total amounts at month end.
I totally relate.  I've got an Amazon credit card, which gives me 5% back on Amazon purchases.   It frustrates me that the bill/statement only has purchase/order amounts and not a list of items purchased.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5718 on: November 26, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »

I totally relate.  I've got an Amazon credit card, which gives me 5% back on Amazon purchases.   It frustrates me that the bill/statement only has purchase/order amounts and not a list of items purchased.

But amazon keeps a record of all your orders. You can look them all up any time =)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5719 on: November 26, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »

But amazon keeps a record of all your orders. You can look them all up any time =)

You can pull some awesome spreadsheets from amazon.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #5720 on: November 26, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #5721 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
I have put a titanium spork on my Amazon Wishlist.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5722 on: November 27, 2018, 04:35:39 AM »
Come on NoVa…   Hit Add to Cart...   Put a spork in it!   (ta-da-dum! ;)

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #5723 on: November 29, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Light-my-Fire-Titanium-Spork/dp/B001E7S5BO
This one is also not bad. I think I'd try the cheap one from China if I didn't need one quickly. It's very similar, but a couple grams lighter.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5724 on: November 30, 2018, 05:28:28 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Light-my-Fire-Titanium-Spork/dp/B001E7S5BO
This one is also not bad. I think I'd try the cheap one from China if I didn't need one quickly. It's very similar, but a couple grams lighter.

The plastic version was more like $3 @ REI, weighs less and I have used it for years in my travel bag. Shows no wear. Hand wash on the road, then dishwasher at home.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5725 on: November 30, 2018, 08:18:46 AM »
When it would be easier to just pretend you're as cash-strapped as everyone else....but you just can't pull it off.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5726 on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »
When it would be easier to just pretend you're as cash-strapped as everyone else....but you just can't pull it off.

I am cash strapped - it's just allocated, rather than spent on consumerist junk.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #5727 on: November 30, 2018, 03:43:53 PM »
My MPP today:  explaining how rolling over a 401k into an IRA works to a coworker near retirement age, then having to bite my tongue after he cut off my explanation of index funds and said that he has some industries and companies he wants to invest in.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #5728 on: November 30, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
MPP

The plan is to retire at the end of March 2019, unfortunately after many years of good service, my work pants are giving up on me in non- repairable ways.  I do not want to buy more work pants for 4 months of work, as I wont really need them after working stops. 

Loren

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5729 on: November 30, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »

I am cash strapped - it's just allocated, rather than spent on consumerist junk.

I hear you. I get grief for being "cash-strapped" (perhaps a little more than co-workers) because we are DINKs and I limit my spending. I tolerate the ribbing from the co-worker who spends more than I do, but his side hustle is a commercial real estate rental LLC with ~2 million in holdings (mostly rented), but the co-worker who makes ~60k has a mortgage, CC debt, and student loan debt and has spent ~10k on new release dvd/blu-ray movies . . . it s a little harder to stomach.

And that grief is even without them knowing we are debt free, own our home, have a good amount of savings/investments, and a higher (maybe not by MMM) savings rate.

Another MP problem, having to fake a personal interest in student loan forgiveness programs (because they are part of your age range of co-workers plans), remembering not to complain when you pay property taxes in full (because your coworkers pay it monthly as part of their mortgage, PITI), or any number of other issues that would be relevant is a weaker financial situation. All to fly under the radar.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #5730 on: November 30, 2018, 11:28:13 PM »
Today I learned 401k max increases next year to 19k.

I have no one in my life that feels the same amount of excitement from that as I seemed to get.

Husband GETS it, but he doesn't FEEL it.

Additionally, we contributed so much to savings vehicles that we qualify for the 50% saver's credit tier.
1. This feels like cheating.
2. We don't get the full 2k Because we didn't pay that much in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:00:33 AM by Mesmoiselle »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5731 on: December 01, 2018, 04:39:36 AM »

Additionally, we contributed so much to savings vehicles that we qualify for the 50% saver's credit tier.
1. This feels like cheating.
2. We don't get the full 2k Because we didn't pay that much in the first place.

Don't feel bad about #2. I am reasonably certain it is impossible to get the full $2k when MFJ.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5732 on: December 01, 2018, 05:54:36 AM »
MPP

The plan is to retire at the end of March 2019, unfortunately after many years of good service, my work pants are giving up on me in non- repairable ways.  I do not want to buy more work pants for 4 months of work, as I wont really need them after working stops. 

Loren

I feel you @Loren Ver.  I have only about a month to go before FIRE and I am nursing my work clothes along carefully.  Oh man are some of my clothes showing their age . . .  but it makes absolutely no sense to replace anything.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #5733 on: December 01, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
MPP

Loren

I feel you @Loren Ver.  I have only about a month to go before FIRE and I am nursing my work clothes along carefully.  Oh man are some of my clothes showing their age . . .  but it makes absolutely no sense to replace anything.

Oh, the lives we live :D.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5734 on: December 01, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »
MPP

Loren
eBay??

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5735 on: December 02, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »
MPP

Loren
eBay??

Stop wearing pants to work and retirement will naturally follow

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5736 on: December 02, 2018, 01:34:23 AM »
MPP

Loren
eBay??

Ooh, that's a much better answer than mine.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5737 on: December 02, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
In my office the dress code is business casual, emphasis on casual rather than business. I have to dress up for certain meetings but I rarely meet the same people several times in a short period of time, so I only have one smart dress for these occasions.

Now I'm meeting the same person for the 4th time in a few weeks and she's really into fashion. I don't want to leave a bad impression of myself by wearing the same thing over and over again. I have some black office basics as well but we're having dinner so I don't want to look too boring. And at home I only wear old sweaters, old floral dresses, old band shirts and old jeans.

I guess I'm going to go for a black pencil skirt and the nicest t-shirt I can find. I guess it would be nice to get an extra blouse for these kinds of situations. I just really don't like spending money on clothes I dislike.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5738 on: December 02, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
In my office the dress code is business casual, emphasis on casual rather than business. I have to dress up for certain meetings but I rarely meet the same people several times in a short period of time, so I only have one smart dress for these occasions.

Now I'm meeting the same person for the 4th time in a few weeks and she's really into fashion. I don't want to leave a bad impression of myself by wearing the same thing over and over again. I have some black office basics as well but we're having dinner so I don't want to look too boring. And at home I only wear old sweaters, old floral dresses, old band shirts and old jeans.

I guess I'm going to go for a black pencil skirt and the nicest t-shirt I can find. I guess it would be nice to get an extra blouse for these kinds of situations. I just really don't like spending money on clothes I dislike.

If you need to keep working this: same outfit, new accessories. Bright scarves or 'statement' jewelry pieces on a black backdrop can feel very planned and fresh!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5739 on: December 02, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »

If you need to keep working this: same outfit, new accessories. Bright scarves or 'statement' jewelry pieces on a black backdrop can feel very planned and fresh!

That's what everyone says, but I don't really have those either. The only jewelry I own are a few plain ear studs and some old fashioned inherited silver necklaces (old fashioned, but not yet retro and no value except for sentimental value).  I am really not good at this fashion thing and too cheap to invest in some basic timeless pieces because I don't really need them very often.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5740 on: December 03, 2018, 02:21:45 AM »

That's what everyone says, but I don't really have those either. The only jewelry I own are a few plain ear studs and some old fashioned inherited silver necklaces (old fashioned, but not yet retro and no value except for sentimental value).  I am really not good at this fashion thing and too cheap to invest in some basic timeless pieces because I don't really need them very often.

There are glitter and glamour shops that sell fake pearl-jewelry. In my opinion they look good enough to create a nice accent on a black dress for a party. So I would go for fake instead of buying real, expensive jewelry.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5741 on: December 03, 2018, 06:34:24 AM »
My MPP today:  explaining how rolling over a 401k into an IRA works to a coworker near retirement age, then having to bite my tongue after he cut off my explanation of index funds and said that he has some industries and companies he wants to invest in.

I have a co-worker who is FIRE-ing this month at 55.  I tried to talk to he about his plans and he mentioned a Roth, a 401k, and I believe a taxable account.  I said something about the Roth ladder and pulling contributions if he needed to. He didn't think you could do that and said that he would talk to his "guy". 

My MPP - DUDE YOU COULD HAVE FIRE'D SO MUCH EARLIER IF YOU ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOUR MONEY WAS DOING! Is not an appropriate thing to yell at this guy in a office setting.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5742 on: December 03, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »

There are glitter and glamour shops that sell fake pearl-jewelry. In my opinion they look good enough to create a nice accent on a black dress for a party. So I would go for fake instead of buying real, expensive jewelry.

Yes, I know, I'm just being cheap. I need to buy some more formal items of clothing and some basic, non-expensive jewelry. I changed jobs a few months ago and at this company I'm going to need more "posh" outfits every once in a while. Basically it's an investment in my career that will pay itself back over time.

Good tip about the pearls! I have two pairs of pearl ear studs, one real and one fake. It's  really hard  to see  the difference, to the untrained eye at least. I think my mother has a pearl necklace that she hasn't worn for 30 years, I should ask if I can borrow it sometimes.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5743 on: December 03, 2018, 07:38:35 AM »
Imma, if you have a nice brand of clothing you like, you could search for that brand on ebay to buy used. I have purchased some really nice used velvet 'boyfriend shirts' that normally go for around $90 for $20 plus shipping of around $6.99. You might find some bargain upscale clothing.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5744 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »

I have no one in my life that feels the same amount of excitement from that as I seemed to get.

I am often quite disappointed after my DH fails to produce the same amount of giddiness I get from a good FIRE discovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5745 on: December 03, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »

I am often quite disappointed after my DH fails to produce the same amount of giddiness I get from a good FIRE discovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the disappointment from DH's lack of excitement about most things FIRE related.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5746 on: December 03, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »

I totally get you Imma! My clothes are very basic/no-nonsense and cheapish (like not Primark, but $20-30 for a nice top range) and I don't wear any type of jewelry or scarfs. Thank god I'm in academia and dressing up means something like 'get your oldest jeans and sweater out of your closet and you'll get respected'. Or well, that seems to work for the old profs at least.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5747 on: December 03, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »
Imma, if you have a nice brand of clothing you like, you could search for that brand on ebay to buy used. I have purchased some really nice used velvet 'boyfriend shirts' that normally go for around $90 for $20 plus shipping of around $6.99. You might find some bargain upscale clothing.
I'm also a huge fan of buying clothing used on eBay.  I get high quality pieces for a fraction of the price, and I don't have to dig through racks of clothing at a used clothing shop.  I set up alerts for when I want something specific (and for a certain price).  I probably pay a few extra dollars compared to a used clothing store.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5748 on: December 03, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »

I totally get you Imma! My clothes are very basic/no-nonsense and cheapish (like not Primark, but $20-30 for a nice top range) and I don't wear any type of jewelry or scarfs. Thank god I'm in academia and dressing up means something like 'get your oldest jeans and sweater out of your closet and you'll get respected'. Or well, that seems to work for the old profs at least.

That sounds about right. A friend stayed with us when he was interviewing for a research job. He didn't wash his hair before the interview and wore a sweater with a hole. He still got the job based on the quality of his research.

I'm not expected to look extremely polished, just a bit more formal and neat. It just feels like it's a big effort because I don't have a natural sense of style/fashion and it's always been a bit of a struggle to look presentable. I'm perfectly happy with my grunge look at home.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #5749 on: December 03, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »
MPP

Loren
eBay??

Ooh, that's a much better answer than mine.

That's why I come to the forums, the quality and practically of the advice that I get.  You all truly speak to me.  Fired, here I come, to be FIREd sometime there after :).

Being a tall female makes buying clothes hard.  Being in a lab setting makes it even more difficult.  Four more months!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!