Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086856 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4850 on: March 09, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »
Wow hey replaced your meter without telling you?  That usually will interrupt your service

I work from home and they replaced our meter one day without warning. Didn't even knock on my door first. Disconnected my power briefly and hence cut off my internet connection and my VPN connection with it. Fortunately I use a laptop so I didn't lose any work, but it was still quite disruptive. They did the same thing with our water meter on a different day...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4851 on: March 09, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
I am happy for the government to have yet another way to know what TV channels I am watching (or, er, would watch if we had a TV) to never have to deal with meter reading again.

The government could learn a lot about me from my library records (hm... very interested in radical left-wing politics, WW2 and gardening...) but that doesn't stop me taking out all sorts of suspicious books (Russian spies? Inter-war domestic history? Agatha Christie novels? Clearly a threat to national security!)
Does that mean you don't have to pay your annual TV license? Can someone in the UK get away with having a huge monitor to stream Netflix, etc?

Tories coming for you, your library records extrapolate to a vendetta.... you do live in a surveillance society, for reasons starting with the IRA.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4852 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
I am happy for the government to have yet another way to know what TV channels I am watching (or, er, would watch if we had a TV) to never have to deal with meter reading again.

The government could learn a lot about me from my library records (hm... very interested in radical left-wing politics, WW2 and gardening...) but that doesn't stop me taking out all sorts of suspicious books (Russian spies? Inter-war domestic history? Agatha Christie novels? Clearly a threat to national security!)
Does that mean you don't have to pay your annual TV license? Can someone in the UK get away with having a huge monitor to stream Netflix, etc?

Tories coming for you, your library records extrapolate to a vendetta.... you do live in a surveillance society, for reasons starting with the IRA.

Yep, we don't pay our TV licence, which also means we can't watch the Beeb at all, even on iPlayer now. We're fine with that and absolutely stick to the rules. Occasionally there's the odd programme someone mentions that we might like to look at but we just don't. You could totally have a huge monitor or even projector if you wanted to (though I think not an actual TV set capable of playing live broadcast TV even if you didn't use it for that) but we just watch the odd film or TV box set on iTunes on our laptop. We're low maintenance like that :)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4853 on: March 09, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
Reading my meters is a PITA. The electricity one is at the back of the cupboard under my stairs so I have to take everything out first and crawl inside to peer into the darkness. The gas one is outside the front door and has colossal spiders living in it. So big, I don't even know how they get in. I am happy for the government to have yet another way to know what TV channels I am watching (or, er, would watch if we had a TV) to never have to deal with meter reading again.

I don't know about UK libraries, they operate very differently. But most(?) libraries in the US only have a record of what you have checked out at the moment. Before that? Nope, no idea. We make sure that the record deletes itself, unless a customer specifically requests otherwise. They can't subpoena what we don't have.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4854 on: March 09, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »
I don't know about UK libraries, they operate very differently. But most(?) libraries in the US only have a record of what you have checked out at the moment. Before that? Nope, no idea. We make sure that the record deletes itself, unless a customer specifically requests otherwise. They can't subpoena what we don't have.

That is because, in the 1960s, the FBI used to go into libraries and check the checkout history on books to see who had checked them out.  Librarians thought that was wrong and, in response, changed their systems to hamper or remove the ability of the police to do that.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4855 on: March 09, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »
Bear with me here, I have to explain a few things first for this to make sense.

I have to go into work today for an extra 4 hours. It's paid at overtime rates, so close enough to $80 an hour.

I don't get subsidized parking at work like a lot of people do as I normally catch the train (cheaper and less stressful). I'm eligible, I just choose not to drive. Peak hour trains are every 7-12 minutes, and run express. So it's normally a 20 minute train ride from home to my work.

Weekend trains run every hour (WTF?) and stop at every station. So to get to work on time this morning I would have to leave home nearly 2 hours before I start.

Parking for project overtime shifts is reimbursed. It normally costs Joe Public $35 a day (I know...) for public parking. If I drive, it's a 20 minute drive, but I have to pay $35 up front and then add it to my timesheet for next fortnight.

So I was going to catch the train (at 9:30am for an 11:30am start) to save myself $35, which will be paid back to me anyway, for a 4 hour shift for which I will be paid $320.

Yeah, I snapped out of it. I'm staying at home for another hour and having a cup of coffee.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4856 on: March 09, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »

Yep, we don't pay our TV licence, which also means we can't watch the Beeb at all, even on iPlayer now. We're fine with that and absolutely stick to the rules. Occasionally there's the odd programme someone mentions that we might like to look at but we just don't. You could totally have a huge monitor or even projector if you wanted to (though I think not an actual TV set capable of playing live broadcast TV even if you didn't use it for that) but we just watch the odd film or TV box set on iTunes on our laptop. We're low maintenance like that :)

I sure hope you pay the Secondhand Retelling License Fee

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4857 on: March 09, 2018, 07:01:31 PM »

That is because, in the 1960s, the FBI used to go into libraries and check the checkout history on books to see who had checked them out.  Librarians thought that was wrong and, in response, changed their systems to hamper or remove the ability of the police to do that.

I can see my library borrowings, which means its recorded,which means it is accessible to mostly anyone. 

I've bought several books on the internet which should suffice to get me on an FBI list of some sort.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4858 on: March 09, 2018, 10:14:59 PM »

I can see my library borrowings, which means its recorded,which means it is accessible to mostly anyone. 

Yeah, in my big American city, I can see my whole history of library borrowing when I log into my online account.  And, obviously, Amazon orders are catalogued, too.  My related MPP is that I only like to get my book club books from the library, so sometimes when there's a waitlist, I get very little time to read it before the meeting.  Worse is when the waitlist is too long, and I end up buying the kindle version and splitting it with a fellow club member.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4859 on: March 10, 2018, 05:25:32 AM »

Yeah, in my big American city, I can see my whole history of library borrowing when I log into my online account.  And, obviously, Amazon orders are catalogued, too.  My related MPP is that I only like to get my book club books from the library, so sometimes when there's a waitlist, I get very little time to read it before the meeting.  Worse is when the waitlist is too long, and I end up buying the kindle version and splitting it with a fellow club member.

Interesting. My library records are definitely dumped immediately upon returning an item. Which sometimes leads to me accidentally re-checking the same book, like I've done this week...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4860 on: March 10, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »
Reading my meters is a PITA. The electricity one is at the back of the cupboard under my stairs so I have to take everything out first and crawl inside to peer into the darkness. The gas one is outside the front door and has colossal spiders living in it. So big, I don't even know how they get in. I am happy for the government to have yet another way to know what TV channels I am watching (or, er, would watch if we had a TV) to never have to deal with meter reading again.

I can see my own borrowing history, so I know it's there!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4861 on: March 10, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
Yesterday was international women’s day, and a friend told me to go buy lots of stuff because there were lots of sales and discounts for women, and I didn’t know how to respond. I also didn’t know what to buy. She said I wasted international women’s day! 😭

Edited to add that international women’s day was actually two days ago (March 8). That’s how out of the loop I am on the major shopping days in China.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:35:43 AM by Freedomin5 »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4862 on: March 10, 2018, 06:40:55 AM »

Interesting. My library records are definitely dumped immediately upon returning an item. Which sometimes leads to me accidentally re-checking the same book, like I've done this week...

When I signed up for a library card in my current county, there was a check-box on the form asking if I wanted them to keep a record of past check-outs for me.  Since I keep my own list of books I've read, I opted not to have them also keep a record for privacy's sake.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4863 on: March 10, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »
Yesterday was international women’s day, and a friend told me to go buy lots of stuff because there were lots of sales and discounts for women, and I didn’t know how to respond. I also didn’t know what to buy. She said I wasted international women’s day! 😭

Edited to add that international women’s day was actually two days ago (March 8). That’s how out of the loop I am on the major shopping days in China.

Yeah, there were a couple of stores who tried to exploit the international women's day this year in Norway with special "happenings" and deals exclusively for women. They got such an ugly backlash in the media they had to try to lie their way out of it with "oh... we forgot it was the women's day... we just happened to put on this sale on March 8th... of course we respect women's fight for equality, and we would never suggest anyone going shopping on this day... It will never happen again; sorry!".

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4864 on: March 11, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »

Yeah, there were a couple of stores who tried to exploit the international women's day this year in Norway with special "happenings" and deals exclusively for women. They got such an ugly backlash in the media they had to try to lie their way out of it with "oh... we forgot it was the women's day... we just happened to put on this sale on March 8th... of course we respect women's fight for equality, and we would never suggest anyone going shopping on this day... It will never happen again; sorry!".

It’s probably magnified in China because eight is such an auspicious number.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4865 on: March 12, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
I started a new job late Jan and they have a 30 day delay before I can contribute to a 401k.  On top of that I will probably only get 2-3 paychecks in before I go out on unpaid maternity leave so I won't get to put very much money into the 401k until June/July AND DH and I decided that we should hold off on putting any 2018 contributions into his IRA until we make sure that baby (and momma) get home safe and healthy from delivery,  plus it will be easier to manage once I have an income again.  Shitty timing for stocks to go on sale for me, maybe they will still be low in June/July when I get to start putting money in again. 

MPP - I really want to be putting money into the stock market right now but it is a more sane decision to hold off for several months.

The good news is that we did put some money into his IRA on Friday for a 2017 contribution that we were sitting on due to maternity leave/baby but decided that we should be fine without it.

This is mostly still annoying the hell out of me, probably has at least a little to do with me being extremely pregnant (hopefully 2 weeks or less left).  My 1st contribution into the new 401k account went in a couple Friday's ago but it seems so small, the old 401k is in the process of being rolled over (new one has better rates), there is nothing going into DH's IRA right now, we are only making minimum payments on SL this means that I have very little to update in my spreadsheets and I really love to update my spreadsheets. 

All of this so that we can have more savings than we have ever had to cover maternity leave and "just in case" BUT when DH sees "a lot" of money in savings it is really really hard to get him to stay in budget (and I might be spending more than budgeted for baby along the way too).  So everyday that baby doesn't come I feel like we are closer and closer to this savings account disappearing without anything to show for it. I can't wait for baby to come and everything to settle down so that I can send money to debt pay down and retirement accounts and start updating my spreadsheets again.

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #4866 on: March 13, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
Our company 401k interface only allows inputs in the form of % of salary, not in $ amounts. I just got a small raise, effective in the next pay period. Unless I change the % to contribute to the 401k I'll be above the IRS limit. This means calculating how much my new pay will be, calculating the % to withhold, and probably getting a "helpful" e-mail from HR wondering if made a typo because the withholding % is oddly high.

Uuuuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhh

(This is my first time contributing to this thread in the forum, and I actually feel uncomfortable complaining about that even though we all know it's just for fun)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4867 on: March 13, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
Our company 401k interface only allows inputs in the form of % of salary, not in $ amounts. I just got a small raise, effective in the next pay period. Unless I change the % to contribute to the 401k I'll be above the IRS limit. This means calculating how much my new pay will be, calculating the % to withhold, and probably getting a "helpful" e-mail from HR wondering if made a typo because the withholding % is oddly high.

(This is my first time contributing to this thread in the forum, and I actually feel uncomfortable complaining about that even though we all know it's just for fun)

Unless your company (a) does their 401k matching on a per-paycheck basis, or (b) has an incompetent HR department (unlikely), you might be able to get away with doing nothing.  Most HR departments will cut off your 401k contributions right at the IRS max.  And most companies don't match on a per-paycheck basis, so you'll still likely get the full company match.

One of the nicer things about leaving it alone is that you'll automagically get higher paychecks in December and maybe November, which is when a lot of people have property taxes or holiday expenses due.

(Sorry to hear about your problem :-) )

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4868 on: March 13, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »

Unless your company (a) does their 401k matching on a per-paycheck basis, or (b) has an incompetent HR department (unlikely), you might be able to get away with doing nothing.  Most HR departments will cut off your 401k contributions right at the IRS max.  And most companies don't match on a per-paycheck basis, so you'll still likely get the full company match.

One of the nicer things about leaving it alone is that you'll automagically get higher paychecks in December and maybe November, which is when a lot of people have property taxes or holiday expenses due.

I don't have the statistics on it, but if be surprised if more companies did true-up matches than don't. I've never worked for one that did. Definitely check with people knowledgeable on your companies plan when determining when to max out your contributions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Edit: according to FINRA, the data from 2015 said that only 45% of companies offer true up matching for those that do match each paycheck while only 12% match up on an annual basis. So around half max out whenever they want and still get the full matching contributions.
http://www.finra.org/investors/too-fast-match-401k-misstep-could-hurt-retirement-savings
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:35:06 PM by jlcnuke »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4869 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »

I don't have the statistics on it, but if be surprised if more companies did true-up matches than don't. I've never worked for one that did. Definitely check with people knowledgeable on your companies plan when determining when to max out your contributions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Edit: according to FINRA, the data from 2015 said that only 45% of companies offer true up matching for those that do match each paycheck while only 12% match up on an annual basis. So around half max out whenever they want and still get the full matching contributions.
http://www.finra.org/investors/too-fast-match-401k-misstep-could-hurt-retirement-savings

Well, sure.  Who ya gonna trust...FINRA or some guy on the internet?  ;-)

Thanks for the info!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4870 on: March 15, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »
I charged something on my credit card on Friday (dinner/drinks with a friend) and it hasn't showed up in my account yet, six days later. How am I supposed to reconcile my accounts!? It's making me a little crazy, I keep checking my account to see if it's there yet.

Complicating factor: It's possible someone decided we would get our food and drinks comped, because we had friends working there... but the waitress took my card and swiped it and I signed for it and etc. so it seems unlikely. Can a restaurant cancel a charge after the fact and it would never show up at all on your account?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4871 on: March 15, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »
I charged something on my credit card on Friday (dinner/drinks with a friend) and it hasn't showed up in my account yet, six days later. How am I supposed to reconcile my accounts!? It's making me a little crazy, I keep checking my account to see if it's there yet.

Complicating factor: It's possible someone decided we would get our food and drinks comped, because we had friends working there... but the waitress took my card and swiped it and I signed for it and etc. so it seems unlikely. Can a restaurant cancel a charge after the fact and it would never show up at all on your account?

I once had a charge show up 3 months later. Something got messed up which is why it took so long. I pay cash at that restaurant now :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4872 on: March 19, 2018, 04:08:26 AM »
I always have a guess at how much money I will need for the remaining month and buy stock as soon as possible. Now I have a lot of bills in my bank account that will be paid tomorrow and more days after. I haven't received my salary yet. Somehow I had gotten the impression that my salary comes on the 17th and the first bills had to be paid on the 20th. But now at the 19th I don't enough cash to cover paying the bills tomorrow. I asked DH to pay one of our bills today and transferred some extra, so I should have enough tomorrow to pay the bills that need to be paid tomorrow (with one credit card bill). I also need to shop groceries today, but will pay that by credit card. My salary should also arrive tomorrow, but if it doesn't I'll need to sell stock or rely on DH to have enough in cash.

I checked when my salary was paid the last half year: on the 14th, the 17th, twice on the 18th and twice on the 19th. So it is not so weird that I didn't count on the 20th.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4873 on: March 21, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »

I once had a charge show up 3 months later. Something got messed up which is why it took so long. I pay cash at that restaurant now :)

New MPP: those charges are finally (11 days later) showing up in my Chase account, but are not showing up in my Mint account, so I still can't sort out my budget...

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4874 on: March 21, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »
My MPP (kind of): My employer announced that instead of matching our 401k contributions as we go through the year the match will only be applied at the end of the year. Now I'm sad about all the missed out on interest for the year, but that means I can frontload the 401k, and not miss out on any of the match right?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4875 on: March 21, 2018, 10:35:00 AM »
Seriously considering leaving my job and one of the top reasons is not having a 401k. We were supposed to get a 401k this year, nope. We got an HSA instead. Which I was happy about... but then realized my stepdad did not remove me from his health insurance last year, which disqualifies me from the HSA (cannot have any non-HDHP).

Trying to find the bright side...
I'll be 26 in a year so won't have anyone else screwing up my plans anymore. Thanks Obama?
My income and/or taxes are likely lower now than in the future, so opening a taxable investment account might not be a bad idea right now and I already maxed out my IRA. Thanks Trump?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4876 on: March 21, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
My MPP (kind of): My employer announced that instead of matching our 401k contributions as we go through the year the match will only be applied at the end of the year. Now I'm sad about all the missed out on interest for the year, but that means I can frontload the 401k, and not miss out on any of the match right?
Are you paid the same every paycheck? If you are commissioned or get bonuses, their system could work to your advantage.

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4877 on: March 21, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
Are you paid the same every paycheck? If you are commissioned or get bonuses, their system could work to your advantage.
No, actually I'm paid an hourly wage, with differentials based on which shift I work, and depending on the time of year/how busy/what department I'm in how many hours I work in a week can vary between 24-50. I don't really get bonus though. My checks are variable enough that before I knew that they weren't going to match throughout the year I chose to use the set amount per check to contribute to my 401k, rather than the %. (The set amount option is fairly new, and I felt it served me better to make sure I reached the max) Now I'm debating weather to up the set amount to front load the 401k, then have some surplus I could funnel into other investment routes later, or just siphon off what I would increase the amount to anyway and add that to the investment accounts as I go.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #4878 on: March 21, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
Going to pay for a large home improvement project on friday. We have the cash but want to get the credit card points.  But the card with the best points has a low credit limit and won't cover the full amount.  I guess I'll just have to split the purchase with another card and miss out on some points.

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #4879 on: March 21, 2018, 05:54:13 PM »
Going to pay for a large home improvement project on friday. We have the cash but want to get the credit card points.  But the card with the best points has a low credit limit and won't cover the full amount.  I guess I'll just have to split the purchase with another card and miss out on some points.

Call the issuer and get the limit bumped up.  Usually all you have to do is ask nicely and give a sane reason.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #4880 on: March 21, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »

Call the issuer and get the limit bumped up.  Usually all you have to do is ask nicely and give a sane reason.

I'm sure you are right. The limit is only low because a few years back I was concerned with having too much credit card credit available. After experiencing some fraud, I didn't want the hassle of disputing huge amounts of fraudulent charges on an over large credit limit if my account was compromised.  Seems like credit card companies have gotten very good at recognizing fraud and shutting it down.  So not really a concern now.

My credit is excellent - no reason for them to deny an increase.  I'll check tomorrow.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #4881 on: March 21, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »
Can you not prepay the card to make more room?

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4882 on: March 22, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »
My MPP was getting a notice that one of my credit cards was going to be closed next month due to inactivity, because we swapped it out a few years ago for a better rewards card, but obviously didn't cancel it because why would you cancel a credit line w/ no annual fee? But then I had to dig through my office to actually find said card so I can use it for a minor purchase in the next two weeks...

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #4883 on: March 22, 2018, 06:00:25 AM »

Nope, card only lets me pay what I owe.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4884 on: March 22, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
My MPP was getting a notice that one of my credit cards was going to be closed next month due to inactivity, because we swapped it out a few years ago for a better rewards card, but obviously didn't cancel it because why would you cancel a credit line w/ no annual fee? But then I had to dig through my office to actually find said card so I can use it for a minor purchase in the next two weeks...

I keep all my credit cards on a spreadsheet.  The non-AF cards are used to reload $1
on my Amazon gift card balance annually, so I can keep these "sock-drawered" cards
open.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4885 on: March 22, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »

I keep all my credit cards on a spreadsheet.  The non-AF cards are used to reload $1
on my Amazon gift card balance annually, so I can keep these "sock-drawered" cards
open.
Smart! I clearly need a better (any) organizational system.

CoffeeAndDonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4886 on: March 22, 2018, 08:37:28 AM »

Nope, card only lets me pay what I owe.

I spend a lot on credit cards for business and mfg. spending.

No issuers I know of will not accept prepayment/overpayment via their site.

Amex is easiest. Right on their site, you can "Check you spending power" (Account Services>Credit Management). In my experience, they will auto approve 50% over your credit limit though lately I've been noticing it'll go to 100% over for me.

Amex also allows pre-payment but you need to initiate it externally (e.g. your bank's bill pay) to create a credit balance. That will increase your limits. All banks will accept the check but not all will allow a larger charge. BoA definitely does not accept the larger charge. I can't recall specifically for USBank, Citi, Chase, and Barclays.

As you can see here, Amex really does make it easier to spend vast sums of money than the others.

If you have multiple cards with an issuer, most will let you move credit line between them. BoA is spotty here. Chase is easy. I think Barclays is easy too.

The fall back here is multiple charges over time and/or over several cards which, depends of course, on the payee accepting that. I'd wonder a little about any warranty impacts if executed this way. In a home renovation, I'm doubt there's any coverage anyway for that.

If you do call and request a higher credit line, this usually results in a hard credit inquiry just as though you'd applied for a loan. Worry about this is very overstated unless you're less than 90 days from seeking credit elsewhere (e.g. mortgage, HELOC, auto loan, another credit card). If you are less than 90 days away, impact it's very contextual to the type of loan, issuer, and your own credit.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4887 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »
MPP: I was at a work event and decided to share a ride home with a coworker. She ordered an Uber and said she'd just have it take me home (~2 miles past her place) and I could buy her coffee to pay her back. (Perfect because I have a free drink coming at Starbucks.)

Only she needed to change the route in her Uber app, but didn't. I had to set up a new ride and the driver said he was Uber Black so what was supposed to cost $5 actually cost $15. Had I known that I would've gotten out and walked, but I didn't know until it was too late.

I have a budget item for networking and the food/drinks were covered by my company, so $15 for an evening out plus transportation isn't bad, but I'm still annoyed.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4888 on: March 24, 2018, 01:32:43 AM »
I get to pick a gift for my ten year anniversary at my work, and I don't want or need any of the things.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4889 on: March 24, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
I get to pick a gift for my ten year anniversary at my work, and I don't want or need any of the things.

Yeah, I have that problem too. Every 5 years. I don't need another mug, embossed notepad, low-end travel mug, wooden pen or knife.

There's one item which does look nice - the Dominoes set available as a retirement choice. Better than the crystal trophy looking thing or a low-end cooler. But I would need to actually retire from service instead of leaving early.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4890 on: March 24, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »

Yeah, I have that problem too. Every 5 years. I don't need another mug, embossed notepad, low-end travel mug, wooden pen or knife.

There's one item which does look nice - the Dominoes set available as a retirement choice. Better than the crystal trophy looking thing or a low-end cooler. But I would need to actually retire from service instead of leaving early.
LOL
Really all that "awesome" stuff? What could not be sold on the flea market?

I wonder why there is never anything useful. Like a book on personal finances or how to negotiate salary...

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #4891 on: March 24, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
People think I just got off work or are going to work because I wear scrubs as regular day to day clothing. Because I have more scrubs from being in the medical field over last ten years than I have regular clothes. When I tell people that 60% of my closet is slowly building collection of scrub wear, they seem rather bemused, like I'm kidding.

Scrubs are just great for painting, renovating, sleeping in, and ya, professionally working in. And if you've got a nice pair that fit, they can be rather attractive outfits as well. ^_^ I recently tore one, may repair it, may make it into a pillow case.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4892 on: March 24, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
Due to some retroactive rule passed by the senate or house in Feb, some additional housing costs are deductible. So I got an amended 1098 for 2017 and there's an additional $975 in deductible income. I already filed my taxes and refiling  will net me about $250. My CPA charges $100 for the re-file. It's a win, but an annoying win and symbolically being past everything related to 2017 was going to be a major relief for me. So opening the wound again for $150 yay. *Sigh*

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4893 on: March 24, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
I had to transfer money from my savings account to my checking account twice this month.

Not due to not making ends meet, but solely because I had overenthusiastically bought stocks right after receiving my salary, not realizing I had some one-off expenses coming up.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4894 on: March 25, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »
Just completed a road trip that involved 4 full days of driving, and my MPP is that we ate in restaurants twice.  :(  I pride myself on not doing that (gross and expensive), and just eating out of the cooler.  But due to a lack of planning and willpower on my part we succumbed -- twice.  Epic fail. 

We have another road trip coming up soon, and that will. not. happen.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #4895 on: March 25, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »
My MPP is that my dad's been hospitalized for the past week.  And I've been eating in the cafeteria, driving around a lot, and not been price conscious.  I know in my head that it's OK, that's what an emergency fund is for, and this is one.  But my inner mustachian is freaking out -
"we're out of gas, again?"
"that salad is less than a dollar to make"
"$20 for sweatpants?!?"

I'm doing the best I can, I don't have the mindshare or time to do better, so I just wish I could turn the cheap voice off for a week or two.  Worst case I spend $500-$1k stupidly, no big deal in the grand scheme.

It's the stuff we do everyday, not the stuff that's happening this week.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4896 on: March 25, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »
My MPP is that my dad's been hospitalized for the past week.  And I've been eating in the cafeteria, driving around a lot, and not been price conscious.  I know in my head that it's OK, that's what an emergency fund is for, and this is one.  But my inner mustachian is freaking out -
"$20 for sweatpants?!?"

I'm doing the best I can, I don't have the mindshare or time to do better, so I just wish I could turn the cheap voice off for a week or two.  Worst case I spend $500-$1k stupidly, no big deal in the grand scheme.

It's the stuff we do everyday, not the stuff that's happening this week.

@Dictionary Time - Cut yourself some slack. You have bigger priorities this week. I totally get it...my husband ends up in the hospital every now then, and my diet and spending have to take a backseat while I prioritize being there as his advocate. Cafeteria meals? Check. Paying someone to feed and walk my dogs? Check. Skipping my workouts? Check.  But you know what? I'm taking care of things that are more important at that moment, and I'm okay with that. I think you have the right attitude about this...just give yourself permission to "own" that attitude!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4897 on: March 25, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
Due to some retroactive rule passed by the senate or house in Feb, some additional housing costs are deductible. So I got an amended 1098 for 2017 and there's an additional $975 in deductible income. I already filed my taxes and refiling  will net me about $250. My CPA charges $100 for the re-file. It's a win, but an annoying win and symbolically being past everything related to 2017 was going to be a major relief for me. So opening the wound again for $150 yay. *Sigh*

Yeah, I mailed off my 1040X yesterday. Same bill probably. In my case, getting an additional $400-500 back, so it's worth it. Bit of a pain though.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4898 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
"$20 for sweatpants?!?"

Yeah @Dictionary Time -- we get the day off from mustachianism when things like that happen.  No guilt allowed.  Hope your dad is doing ok.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4899 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:58 AM »
I had to phone my credit card company to get a new card after my wallet got stolen, and after that conversation, the customer service guy offered to double my credit limit. He said I wouldn't need to fill in any paperwork. I don't really need a higher card limit, but it can be convenient when travelling abroad. Limit is €1000 now, credit limits aren't as high in here as they seem to be in the US.

Now I get a letter in the mail saying they actually do need paperwork to extend my limit. I'm sure the credit card company will get a positive credit check on me, and we have two steady incomes and a low mortgage, but still I'm kind of hesitating. Together we have an income that's slightly below the national average, but our mortgage is only about 12% of that. The only registered debts that will turn up in our credit check are the mortgage and our phone contracts (and we've never been behind on any of them). We are late 20s/early 30s. I'm afraid the credit card company will think this is so odd for a young couple they will refuse to give us any credit card at all. We can't afford not to have a card, my partner needs it for work. But maybe I'm paranoid?