Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 3136194 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #6650 on: September 09, 2019, 07:16:25 AM »
My MMM problem.  Now that we are retired and staying in bed past dawn (hurray!!) we have noticed that the bedrooms get HOT in the morning due to eastern sun exposure.  We are slow to use the AC so this had a pretty big affect on us all summer.  Now we are considering putting a shade tree on that side of the house to help with cooling.  That is the side of the house where the power lines are, so we need to be careful on size and placement.  We also need to take into account losing the natural heating during the winter if we block the sun as we are also slow to use the furnace....  Maybe we can find the perfect placement so we get shade in the summer, less in the winter, and don't endanger our power lines. Hmmm.

LV

It was recently pointed out to me that as long as you plant a deciduous tree and not an evergreen, there aren't any leaves in the winter to block the sun from warming your house, so maybe it won't be a problem!

Or just install a sun blocking screen, maybe one that works automatically?

Good thing about trees is that you might attract more birds and squirrels.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6651 on: September 09, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »
My MMM problem.  Now that we are retired and staying in bed past dawn (hurray!!) we have noticed that the bedrooms get HOT in the morning due to eastern sun exposure.  We are slow to use the AC so this had a pretty big affect on us all summer.  Now we are considering putting a shade tree on that side of the house to help with cooling.  That is the side of the house where the power lines are, so we need to be careful on size and placement.  We also need to take into account losing the natural heating during the winter if we block the sun as we are also slow to use the furnace....  Maybe we can find the perfect placement so we get shade in the summer, less in the winter, and don't endanger our power lines. Hmmm.

LV

It was recently pointed out to me that as long as you plant a deciduous tree and not an evergreen, there aren't any leaves in the winter to block the sun from warming your house, so maybe it won't be a problem!

Loren Ver,  You could plant the tree just North of due East of the window. The Sun rises in the Northeast in summer and Southeast in winter.  The farther north you live, the stronger the sunrise change is.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6652 on: September 09, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »
Today's problem is that I've bought my kid's (and my) clothes used for so long that I'm ridiculously out-of-touch about how much things cost new. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6653 on: September 09, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »

LV

Loren Ver,  You could plant the tree just North of due East of the window. The Sun rises in the Northeast in summer and Southeast in winter.  The farther north you live, the stronger the sunrise change is.

We have a large plant in front of one window and are growing one in front of a southern window. Less hassle, easier maintenance and quicker growth than a tree and you could even pick one that grows berries if you like. Ours has berries that are inedible but they attract a lot of birds.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6654 on: September 09, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »
I once managed to poison myself with a leftover portion of rice. I had taken it out of the freezer, left left in it the fridge for 2 days before eating it. This is a known issue, also called Chinese restaurant syndrom. It is a bacteria that cannot be killed by heating it afterwards. When I read wikipedia about it, it said it could also happen with pasta.

You're probably talking about Bacillus cereus, which is a real thing that gives people food poisoning from rice.

In the US at least "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" is a completely different thing (that has never actually been demonstrated to exist in any of the several double-blind studies that have been done) that started the (completely evidence-less) panic over MSG.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6655 on: September 09, 2019, 11:29:36 AM »
I am running out of waste bags.

I started at a firm that gives you free bananas and apples, so I now rarely buy those for home. I used to always take one of those small plastic bags to use them as waste bags. Now my reserve is nearly depleted. I may need to either buy plastic bags or "steal" them at the supermarket with packing every single item in one, which feels so damn wrong.

Loren Ver

• Pencil Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6656 on: September 09, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »

LV

Thanks all.  @chaskavitch The simplest of solutions, very deep :).  Maybe find me a nice maple.  More leaves but more animals too. 

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6657 on: September 09, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »
I once managed to poison myself with a leftover portion of rice. I had taken it out of the freezer, left left in it the fridge for 2 days before eating it. This is a known issue, also called Chinese restaurant syndrom. It is a bacteria that cannot be killed by heating it afterwards. When I read wikipedia about it, it said it could also happen with pasta.

You're probably talking about Bacillus cereus, which is a real thing that gives people food poisoning from rice.

In the US at least "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" is a completely different thing (that has never actually been demonstrated to exist in any of the several double-blind studies that have been done) that started the (completely evidence-less) panic over MSG.

I don't think that MSG ever was a big panic in the country Linea and I are from, so we refer to food poisoning from reheated rice as Chinese restaurant syndrome. We have lots of Chinese-Indonesian restaurants and they are notoriously unhygienic.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6658 on: September 09, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »

I don't think that MSG ever was a big panic in the country Linea and I are from, so we refer to food poisoning from reheated rice as Chinese restaurant syndrome. We have lots of Chinese-Indonesian restaurants and they are notoriously unhygienic.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/restaurant-caught-washing-grill-rags-and-pots-in-old-hickory-lake

A local story from only a couple weeks ago...

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6659 on: September 09, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »

LV

Thanks all.  @chaskavitch The simplest of solutions, very deep :).  Maybe find me a nice maple.  More leaves but more animals too.

Apples, pears, plums, cherries, figs, apricots, peaches - all deciduous. Just sayin'.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #6660 on: September 09, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
I am running out of waste bags.

I started at a firm that gives you free bananas and apples, so I now rarely buy those for home. I used to always take one of those small plastic bags to use them as waste bags. Now my reserve is nearly depleted. I may need to either buy plastic bags or "steal" them at the supermarket with packing every single item in one, which feels so damn wrong.

If you mean plastic carrier bags, just ask around. I only use reusable bags and regularly refuse all plastic bags. But I like having free bin liners and dog poop bags. I get the bags from friends and family who, for whatever reason, still bring home plastic bags. They are happy to get rid of them!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6661 on: September 09, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »
I started using random packaging instead of garbage bags. So far I've used rice sacks, flour sacks, toilet paper packaging, a potato sack, and one empty sugar bag. Maybe a few other things as well. It helps if you don't produce that much garbage, and buy things sold in sacks.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6662 on: September 09, 2019, 09:23:53 PM »
I started using random packaging instead of garbage bags. So far I've used rice sacks, flour sacks, toilet paper packaging, a potato sack, and one empty sugar bag. Maybe a few other things as well. It helps if you don't produce that much garbage, and buy things sold in sacks.
I started to save cereal box liner bags -- they make excellent separators for frozen food portions / meats, etc.   (Yeah, I know, cereal is expensive, but the kids LOVE it and make their own breakfast this way).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6663 on: September 10, 2019, 12:23:49 AM »
In the past, I put plastic garbage in a plastic garbage bag, to carry it like that to the container. Put now I just put the plastic in the kitchen bin and then carry the whole bin to the plastic container outside.

DH could a birthday present from his brother. Brother orders it from a shop in Germany and let the shop send it directly to us. DH had to pay VAT and toll money to receive his birthday present. It the brother would have had it sent to his own address and put a "gift" sticker on it, we would have received it for free. This is not the first time his brother does this.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6664 on: September 10, 2019, 01:04:52 AM »

Our bin men will only take rubbish that is in a tied bag that they can pick up easily with no spillage. Our old council had wheelie bins so the bin lorry just tipped the whole lot in. We buy the smallest size of bin bag, so they're obviously happy to take something the size of a carrier bag, but I struggle to find any ex-packaging that I can tie effectively - e.g. toilet paper packaging. So I continue spending money to buy plastic to throw away in the most direct manner possible.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6665 on: September 10, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »

I forgot two more that also work really well - bags from cat food and cat litter. They tend to be very durable, and the cat food bags even seal.

Erma

• Bristles
« Reply #6666 on: September 12, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
My file with financial data got too big and is now unusable.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6667 on: September 12, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »

It's possible you might be able to open it if you close down all non-essential programs on your computer.    If so, you can split it into multiple files. 

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6668 on: September 12, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

Are you in excel? My guess is something got corrupted. because excel is a workhorse. I really don't know how your personal finances could push excel past its limits.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6669 on: September 12, 2019, 02:36:09 PM »

Are you in excel? My guess is something got corrupted. because excel is a workhorse. I really don't know how your personal finances could push excel past its limits.

Backups?

Erma

• Bristles
« Reply #6670 on: September 12, 2019, 10:30:06 PM »
No, not excel. I have a backup from a month ago, but the same thing will happen again and the saving it as mysql database did not work so I am now trying to find an alternative.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6671 on: September 15, 2019, 01:39:57 AM »
Cross-posted from the anti anti Mustachian overheard at work thread...

For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because Iím extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties. Being Mustachian is such hard work...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6672 on: September 15, 2019, 02:04:32 AM »

For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because Iím extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties. Being Mustachian is such hard work...

A bit of a shock for an introvert. :-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6673 on: September 15, 2019, 02:11:50 AM »

Honestly as an introvert I never really minded giving presentations.  Nice and unilateral.  Chatting with a friend, however...

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6674 on: September 15, 2019, 05:06:57 AM »

Honestly as an introvert I never really minded giving presentations.  Nice and unilateral.  Chatting with a friend, however...

I also donít mind presentations. Chatting with a friend about a specific topic is okay. Just chitchatting for no particular purpose except to be social is torture.

markus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6675 on: September 15, 2019, 05:53:31 AM »

I also donít mind presentations. Chatting with a friend about a specific topic is okay. Just chitchatting for no particular purpose except to be social is torture.

To briefly chime in on this, Freedomin5 has it right and hits on what most people misunderstand about introversion: it has nothing to do with whether you're shy or not shy, uncomfortable or completely comfortable in social situations, etc. (you could be either of those regardless of whether you're an extrovert, introvert or somewhere in between). It's much more to do with whether social situations are draining for you or give you a charge.

The best article I've ever read that nails it is this one by Jonathan Rauch, written for The Atlantic:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/

Returning to the topic ...

Freedomin5: I'd be very curious to hear if the company responds to the presentation in any way! Yeah, it'd be weird for them to ask you to not give such a presentation, or to ask you to frame it in some more general financial discussion kind of way, but my paranoid side would have me thinking that they might not like it. I think it's awesome that you received so many interested sign-ups like that, and good for you for stepping up to put the presentation together! It really might be life-changing for some of your peers, or the start of a turning point in how they manage their finances.

I'm reminded of the last time a representative from our 401(k) handlers visited Megacorp, really just to cover the basics for anyone who wasn't already contributing to their account. I always attend those things in case there's some new detail I might have missed or in case I think of a question to ask. The rep's presentation was good in that he started with a timeline of one's estimated lifespan and then worked backward to our collective present, then highlighting the financial milestones as they relate to the retirement accounts: RMDs, access to the 401(k), getting the company match, etc. I was the only one who knew what RMDs were (and this is in a group of about thirty!) and when they kick in, and from that moment I was getting a lot of looks, followed by a few comments of, "Maybe we'll have to ask Markus more about this stuff later, heh heh," and so forth. But it was positive, and I got the sense that these are things that everyone would like to know more about but don't make the time for or are perhaps uncomfortable to bring up.

Suffice to say, your presentation will likely be a stand out. Please update us here after it takes place and let us know how it went and how everyone responded.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6676 on: September 15, 2019, 09:14:33 AM »
I'm seriously wondering whether this joker is a Mustachian in disguise...

NZ person brings clown to redundancy meeting...

When copy writer Josh Thompson received an ominous email from his bosses asking to discuss his role at the company, he knew he was facing redundancy.

The human resources department at FCB New Zealand encouraged him to bring a "support person" to help cushion the blow, an option that is legally required in New Zealand.

But rather than bring a family member, a friend or even a pet, the part-time stand-up comedian decided to splash out NZ$200 (£100) on a clown called "Joe".

[...]

"Joe" accompanied Josh for the redundancy meeting, where the clown made balloon animals, although he had to be told to stop a few times as it was difficult to hear above the screeching of plastic.

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6677 on: September 15, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
I occasionally fly to remote places for work, and a plane ticket can easily cost $2500. My boss offered to get me a corporate card "just in case you need a ticket last minute, you can cover it". I told him that between the three cards I carry, I could cover $34k without breaking a sweat, and that I could easily pay $2500 myself while waiting for the company to reimburse me. He didn't have an answer. I seriously don't want a corporate card. $2500 is $50 cashback if I use my own...

Also, big numbers are not scary. I find myself rationalizing things like "$10k? Oh, that's three or four months of savings. $75k? Might delay FI by a year or so."

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6678 on: September 15, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
I occasionally fly to remote places for work, and a plane ticket can easily cost $2500. My boss offered to get me a corporate card "just in case you need a ticket last minute, you can cover it". I told him that between the three cards I carry, I could cover $34k without breaking a sweat, and that I could easily pay $2500 myself while waiting for the company to reimburse me. He didn't have an answer. I seriously don't want a corporate card. $2500 is $50 cashback if I use my own...

Also, big numbers are not scary. I find myself rationalizing things like "$10k? Oh, that's three or four months of savings. $75k? Might delay FI by a year or so."
I'd love to be able to put more on my personal visa, but alas, I have to use the corporate card for airfare and hotels.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6679 on: September 15, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

It's not much until you discover that the business can't pay it's bills and is now in bankruptcy.

Not that a corporate card will necessarily help, because they used to be owed by the individual person too.

I know people that happened to, so pay attention to the firm's financial status.

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6680 on: September 15, 2019, 06:55:36 PM »

It's not much until you discover that the business can't pay it's bills and is now in bankruptcy.

Not that a corporate card will necessarily help, because they used to be owed by the individual person too.

I know people that happened to, so pay attention to the firm's financial status.

Yeah, that's a valid point. I do have faith in my company though, and considering how much work we're all doing, I trust that there's money coming in. We'll be hiring one or two more people soon just to cope (5-employee branch of a 3500-employee nationwide company).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6681 on: September 16, 2019, 01:19:17 AM »
DH has been good lately in selling stuff that he doesn't use anymore. He had put an old pair of GTX rain trousers for sale and had found a person who wanted to buy it, without haggling about the price. Last night DH came home from our cabin and looked for the rain trousers to send it to this person. We both searched the whole house, but it seems to have vanish into a black hole, together with my access card for work, which has also disappeared. So we can't sell the rain trousers, although I think it will reappear at some time from some very random place.

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6682 on: September 16, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »

Nice job!
DW and I invited a few friends over last winter to sit next to the wood stove and discuss finances. More than a dozen people showed up and most of them came back again every couple of weeks until we all got busy with summer... One friend even decided to max out his 401k with his overtime pay this year. I had no idea it would be so popular, but now I've been asked to host another more official group this fall... See bold section above.

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6683 on: September 16, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »

I used a personal card for work trips for several years. Saved enough miles to fly halfway around the world when things started to go south at the company. I did worry a bit about being left with an unpaid expense like SwordGuy mentioned. Fortunately I'd moved on before they went under. Unfortunately I was doing some contract work with them at the time that will likely never be paid...

You wouldn't by any chance be a fellow Alaskan mustachian?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6684 on: September 16, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »

I would love to see what you come up with.

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6685 on: September 16, 2019, 12:00:42 PM »
I'm Canadian! But I do fly to Alaskan latitudes. Just on the Canadian side in Nunavut!

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6686 on: September 16, 2019, 04:36:25 PM »
I'm Canadian! But I do fly to Alaskan latitudes. Just on the Canadian side in Nunavut!
I figured that was more probable but thought I'd ask. Between the name and flying into remote locations it seemed likely to be one or the other. Hopefully one of these days I will make it over there.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6687 on: September 18, 2019, 02:18:29 AM »
I lost my access card from work. On it was a QA sticker for my cafetaria account. I have of course been bringing lunch from home for a long time now, but 3 times a year or so, I still buy lunch, when I forgot my lunch at home or so. I have the suspicion that there were a few (3?) dollars left om my account that I now can't access anymore. Or could they print a new sticker for me???

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #6688 on: September 18, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »
I opened a Delta credit card a few months ago to get some bonus miles. After the initial spend, I've switched back to my normal cash rewards card. Well, I ended up getting one of the charges on the Delta card refunded last week. I keep forgetting to use the Delta card instead of the cash rewards card to actually use up the credit....

DaMa

• Bristles
« Reply #6689 on: September 18, 2019, 01:47:45 PM »
I opened a Delta credit card a few months ago to get some bonus miles. After the initial spend, I've switched back to my normal cash rewards card. Well, I ended up getting one of the charges on the Delta card refunded last week. I keep forgetting to use the Delta card instead of the cash rewards card to actually use up the credit....

I had this problem earlier this year.  I ended up loading my Amazon gift card account with the amount of the credit just to use it.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6690 on: September 18, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »

I had this problem earlier this year.  I ended up loading my Amazon gift card account with the amount of the credit just to use it.

I've had a $276 credit balance on one card for several months now. I was using a card that required a hefty $5k minimum spend, so I didn't want to put any spending anywhere else. We just got the bonus, so we can finally go back and use that old card for a bit. And I also have a $1 credit balance on my SW card. I should probably spend that before I cancel it here in a month or two.

Sugaree

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6691 on: September 19, 2019, 06:01:30 AM »

I do this whenever I have a Visa giftcard with just a few dollars left on it.

techwiz

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6692 on: September 20, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »
My Mustanchian problem is when this forum went own for the day I had nowhere to read or post that only us Mustachians get.   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6693 on: September 20, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »

I do this whenever I have a Visa giftcard with just a few dollars left on it.

My MPP is that I tried this to drain the last 3 cents from a visa gift card but it didnít go through because I entered the wrong zip code or whatever.  So I resubmitted it and it worked.  But it wouldnít let me cancel the old order and it eventually processed with my default credit card.  This would royally piss me off if.. well if it was more than three cents

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #6694 on: September 21, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »
I have a budget this year for planned maintenance on the house. It is necessary, it will add comfort, and it has been planned for 5 years. I have the money. And I keep postponing it because I just do not want to spend all that lovely money that I could also invest 😄

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6695 on: September 21, 2019, 03:28:52 PM »
I have a budget this year for planned maintenance on the house. It is necessary, it will add comfort, and it has been planned for 5 years. I have the money. And I keep postponing it because I just do not want to spend all that lovely money that I could also invest 😄
Get outta my head!  That is an apt description of many intended purchases in our household!

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6696 on: September 21, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »

That is definitely a MPP I can relate to. Sometimes it's hard to remember that spending money really can make things better... After all, isn't that why we save it?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6697 on: September 21, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »

That is definitely a MPP I can relate to. Sometimes it's hard to remember that spending money really can make things better... After all, isn't that why we save it?

I had $10k saved with the intent of building a covered back porch, but decided that I'd rather have that money in the market...

An Unassuming Moose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6698 on: September 22, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »
Had to pay for braces. Paid all at once to get the discount, rather than paying monthly for a year. But now my spreadsheet says that I spent half a year's budget last month, and my average yearly expenses, which I use to calculate my FI date, is all out of whack.

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6699 on: September 23, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
Had to pay for braces. Paid all at once to get the discount, rather than paying monthly for a year. But now my spreadsheet says that I spent half a year's budget last month, and my average yearly expenses, which I use to calculate my FI date, is all out of whack.

Did the orthodontics folks react oddly? We did this and apparently it is rare here to pay it all down at once?