Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086860 times)

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3700 on: March 01, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
My MPP: 

We recently received a nice windfall.  I was excited.  I deposited it in the bank and felt a little deflated when it was added to the pile. 

Psychologically I know it gets us closer to FIRE but today it changes nothing.  It was a bit of a letdown.
Thats why you (psychologically) should do something nice with a part of it. Go out eating, if you like that. Make a bungee jump if you are into that. Make a donation to something you deem worthy.
It costs you under 100$ but the stuffed away 5000$ dont feel wasted then, quite contrary.

Maybe that's my other MPP - I don't *want* anything.  So spending a small amount of it on something "fun" isn't that fun.  Donation is a good idea, though!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #3701 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »

Invest some of it! Then it is working harder for you!
And, it's OK to do what LennStar recommends too.

Oh, it'll be invested!  The bank is just storage until we move it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3702 on: March 01, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »
My MPP: 

We recently received a nice windfall.  I was excited.  I deposited it in the bank and felt a little deflated when it was added to the pile. 

Psychologically I know it gets us closer to FIRE but today it changes nothing.  It was a bit of a letdown.
Thats why you (psychologically) should do something nice with a part of it. Go out eating, if you like that. Make a bungee jump if you are into that. Make a donation to something you deem worthy.
It costs you under 100$ but the stuffed away 5000$ dont feel wasted then, quite contrary.

Maybe that's my other MPP - I don't *want* anything.  So spending a small amount of it on something "fun" isn't that fun.  Donation is a good idea, though!

Oh no, that really IS a MPP! I use the 5% blow money rule to windfalls, but I have always had something I wanted but couldn't really justify... new phone... takeaway...

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3703 on: March 01, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
I got my auto insurance renewal statement and found out my six month premium was going up again. I thought, I'll show them and go find another company.

Yeah, no. I am apparently paying the lowest rate by far even with the hike for the coverages I need.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3704 on: March 03, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »
Since knowing this website, I often look up other websites that give saving tips. Practically every tip is something I already do, like paying your bills automaticcaly or is not relevant for me, like refinancing consumer debts. There are few new ways to find to save money.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3705 on: March 03, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
Received info on my bonus today.  It's bigger than expected.  I don't want to spend it, but with this market, I don't want to invest it either...

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #3706 on: March 03, 2017, 08:07:05 PM »
My MPP for yesterday:

I went to my bank website to pay extra on one of our last remaining debts. I paid about 10x what I would normally pay in a month. I got a message along the lines of "This is quite a bit more than you usually pay in a month. Are you sure you would like to proceed?"  Heck yeah, I want to proceed.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3707 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
My MPP for yesterday:

I went to my bank website to pay extra on one of our last remaining debts. I paid about 10x what I would normally pay in a month. I got a message along the lines of "This is quite a bit more than you usually pay in a month. Are you sure you would like to proceed?"  Heck yeah, I want to proceed.

That's actually a really nice feature.  I've added an extra zero by accident before....

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #3708 on: March 03, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »
I can't think of five things I use up often enough to be able to use Amazon's subscribe and save 15% discount.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3709 on: March 04, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
I can't think of five things I use up often enough to be able to use Amazon's subscribe and save 15% discount.
We have the same problem, we tried the subscribe and save thing and it just never worked for us.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #3710 on: March 04, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »
Received info on my bonus today.  It's bigger than expected.  I don't want to spend it, but with this market, I don't want to invest it either...

Yep. In the same boat here. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3711 on: March 05, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »

Invest it.  If you really can't, reconsider your AA or investment plan.  Remember, keeping it in cash means decreasing your stock/bond holdings by an equivalent amount, which is market timing.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3712 on: March 05, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »
We have the same problem, we tried the subscribe and save thing and it just never worked for us.
I'd been wanting technical book since it came out at a list price of $120.
 I've watched the price drop until it was recently $56.96, but only with a Prime account.
 A week or two ago, Amazon was celebrating something and had an $8.62 discount.
So I called my daughter and had her order it on her account for me, she used the code, got the price and the discount.
Such a deal.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3713 on: March 05, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
Big problem: feeling guilty if I can't write anything in the thread "What small things did you do today to save money?". Eating home made lunch at the office doesn't count any more, as that has been mentioned already. I try to find a new small saving thing every day. But it is a challenge.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3714 on: March 06, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
Big problem: feeling guilty if I can't write anything in the thread "What small things did you do today to save money?". Eating home made lunch at the office doesn't count any more, as that has been mentioned already. I try to find a new small saving thing every day. But it is a challenge.

Does it not count?  Maybe it's worth remembering the good habits you've been keeping  up for a while now.  I'm typing this at work as I eat the last bite of my leftover taco salad from supper. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3715 on: March 06, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »

I occasionally post "as usual" ones! It can be a fun little reminder to yourself of what you do every day to save money! Like Rural's wonderful "we didn't leave the mountain today" posts. =)

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #3716 on: March 06, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
I just thought of an MPP: I'm unable to use up my sick days because I just have not gotten sick this year.  All this biking in sub-freezing temps seems to have toughened up my system.

I think those days might go to waste when I leave this place.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3717 on: March 06, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »

Totally. At this point I pretty much only find a few new money savings ideas per YEAR. That waiting period between finishing optimizing everything and having enough assets to retire is pretty unexciting, at least financially-speaking.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3718 on: March 06, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »
I just thought of an MPP: I'm unable to use up my sick days because I just have not gotten sick this year.  All this biking in sub-freezing temps seems to have toughened up my system.

You may not get "sick," but don't you think it would be "beneficial to your health" to take those days anyway?  :-)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3719 on: March 06, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »

You may not get "sick," but don't you think it would be "beneficial to your health" to take those days anyway?  :-)
Eye problems ---  "I just can't see going to work today"
Mental health breaks
My undergraduate college had a random day, not known in advance, when all classes were canceled.  The surprise of it made it fun.    However  comments like "blow off studying, I KNOW the day off is tomorrow" created a lot of angst when the next day was a regular schoolday.
I have a random day off spreadsheet, but I've always chickened out on using it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3720 on: March 07, 2017, 01:25:02 AM »

Yes, I wish those of us who are never sick could somehow cash in some value for those unused sick days. Now the value is only going to our employers. Maybe we should have gotten a reward bonus every year.

Dropbear

• Stubble
« Reply #3721 on: March 07, 2017, 02:38:14 AM »
Yes, I wish those of us who are never sick could somehow cash in some value for those unused sick days. Now the value is only going to our employers. Maybe we should have gotten a reward bonus every year.

A bonus would be nice!  But you wouldn't want to cash all your sick days in...  I'll need some time off for a shoulder reconstruction soon, and as I've only taken 1.5 sick days in the last 2 years, I thankfully have plenty available.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3722 on: March 07, 2017, 05:34:41 AM »

I started taking half days for appointments when I was getting to the capped amount for my sick time. It gave me an opportunity to run and errand or two while I was out, it was nice. Now I have a tiny germ factory (aka child) that I drop off daily to hang out with other tiny germ factories, what is this "unused sick time" you speak of?

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3723 on: March 07, 2017, 05:45:34 AM »

A bonus would be nice!  But you wouldn't want to cash all your sick days in...  I'll need some time off for a shoulder reconstruction soon, and as I've only taken 1.5 sick days in the last 2 years, I thankfully have plenty available.

we have a cap on ours of 90 days. After that they pay you at the end of the year for anything in excess of that.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3724 on: March 07, 2017, 06:54:15 AM »

I started taking half days for appointments when I was getting to the capped amount for my sick time. It gave me an opportunity to run and errand or two while I was out, it was nice. Now I have a tiny germ factory (aka child) that I drop off daily to hang out with other tiny germ factories, what is this "unused sick time" you speak of?

There is of course not really such a thing as unused sick time. Here in Norway we may be sick 2 days in a row with a maximum of 12 days a year without getting an attest from a MD. If sick longer than this, you need a MD to prove you are really sick. People with children can stay home for an additional 10 days a year without any attest when their child is sick.

Some people feel that the have the right to use up those 12 sick days. The only thing you need to do is call your boss and tell that you are sick or that your child is sick. Of course, the rules weren't designed abusing this. I personally don't.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #3725 on: March 07, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »

There is of course not really such a thing as unused sick time. Here in Norway we may be sick 2 days in a row with a maximum of 12 days a year without getting an attest from a MD. If sick longer than this, you need a MD to prove you are really sick. People with children can stay home for an additional 10 days a year without any attest when their child is sick.

Some people feel that the have the right to use up those 12 sick days. The only thing you need to do is call your boss and tell that you are sick or that your child is sick. Of course, the rules weren't designed abusing this. I personally don't.

There was a time when we got paid for excess short-term sick leave, but that option isn't offered anymore.  We have a similar system where each "sick" day is actually 2 consecutive days and a doctor's note isn't needed until the 3rd day - ours are called occurrences.  I currently have 12 of these available to me (so 24 days off w/o a doc note) as well as 840 hours of half-pay long-term sick leave.

I am also in a similar boat where I don't really feel an urge to use up my sick days but do see the benefit in doing so since they've accrued annually (w/ carry-over).  I'm still looking into what happens to these days after leaving the company; I thought they were use it or lose it, but I could be wrong.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3726 on: March 07, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »
I'm part of a junk mail group that gives you points (which turn into Visa gift cards) in return for sending them junk emails and junk mail.  I'm signed up for all the stores/companies they want info from, which means my inbox is cluttered each day with countless retail advertisements, promotions, and mass promoted consumerism.  Really?  How many sales can one store have in a week, and do people really buy that much stuff???

I hate getting all the pointless advertising, but I really like the extra $60 to $80 a month I get from participating in the program, so I stick with it.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3727 on: March 07, 2017, 08:36:53 AM »
I'm part of a junk mail group that gives you points (which turn into Visa gift cards) in return for sending them junk emails and junk mail.  I'm signed up for all the stores/companies they want info from, which means my inbox is cluttered each day with countless retail advertisements, promotions, and mass promoted consumerism.  Really?  How many sales can one store have in a week, and do people really buy that much stuff???

I hate getting all the pointless advertising, but I really like the extra $60 to $80 a month I get from participating in the program, so I stick with it.
Can I get a referral for this please?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3728 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »

You need to click something or anything?
If not I can make a few dozen mail adresses, no problem.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3729 on: March 07, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »

I don't think they are open to new panelists right now, but I'll check and see!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:40:53 AM by engineermom21 »

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #3730 on: March 07, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
We travel a lot, with large dogs, and our focus was really not cutting it when it came to actually enjoying the travel....

We *upgraded* (facepunch) to a Toyota Rav4, and I love it.  Seriously, so, so handy in this rural place. 

The MPP?  My "large" vehicle still can't be easily found in a rural parking lot filled with diesels and monster luxery SUVs.....always.  searching.  in circles.  I don't look intelligent while in a parking lot.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3731 on: March 07, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
The MPP?  My "large" vehicle still can't be easily found in a rural parking lot filled with diesels and monster luxery SUVs.....always.  searching.  in circles.  I don't look intelligent while in a parking lot.

No one looks great fumbling around.   
Not really a MPP, but similar problem to alewpanda.  Trying to find a rent-a-car (lots of similar cars), in a parking lot, in scrubs (looks like PJ's for non-medical, non-nuke persons), in the dark, at 0°F (-18°C), in the faraway outer (contractor) parking lot.  Horn buttons on the remote helps alot.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3732 on: March 07, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »

I worked for a company that gave employees unlimited sick time. The board of directors decided that was a liability to the company, and that there were a few people abusing it, so they changed the policy to give each employee 10 days a year of sick time.

The next year we found out that the average number of days of sick time went from something like 2.4 days per employee to 8 days per employee.  Although a FEW people were abusing unlimited sick time, most people weren't. By putting a number on it, it became part of the compensation package, and people (myself included, quite honestly) felt they were entitled to those days. The honest employees were no longer worried about the appearance of abusing the system, since they knew their limit; but the threshold for what it took to call in sick lowered.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3733 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:22 PM »

I worked for a company that gave employees unlimited sick time. The board of directors decided that was a liability to the company, and that there were a few people abusing it, so they changed the policy to give each employee 10 days a year of sick time.

The next year we found out that the average number of days of sick time went from something like 2.4 days per employee to 8 days per employee.  Although a FEW people were abusing unlimited sick time, most people weren't. By putting a number on it, it became part of the compensation package, and people (myself included, quite honestly) felt they were entitled to those days. The honest employees were no longer worried about the appearance of abusing the system, since they knew their limit; but the threshold for what it took to call in sick lowered.

Another good thing about trusting your employees (apart from an increase in motivation) is that less people take full days off. At my job, the number of sick days are in reality unlimited (there are regulations, but those only get used if an employee starts abusing the system). But usually, people will choose to work shorter days or from home if they are feeling a bit off. This also leads to fewer bugs being spread around the office, and fewer colds developing into real diseases.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3734 on: March 07, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
Another good thing about trusting your employees (apart from an increase in motivation) is that less people take full days off. At my job, the number of sick days are in reality unlimited (there are regulations, but those only get used if an employee starts abusing the system). But usually, people will choose to work shorter days or from home if they are feeling a bit off. This also leads to fewer bugs being spread around the office, and fewer colds developing into real diseases.

We have a similar system (they count "occurrences", which could be more than one day at a time) and if you have more than three occurrences withing a rolling calendar year (starting from your first) then your manager is supposed to bring you in for a little chat.

Because I work from home most of the time, there has only been one day in the past four years where I was too sick to even get out of bed. The funny thing was that the week I took the sick day was the week they changed the recordkeeping system, and my sick day was never recorded :) 

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3735 on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
Towards the end of my toxic work life, I would call in sick because I felt too good to go into work. That place made me sick.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3736 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »

Invest it.  If you really can't, reconsider your AA or investment plan.  Remember, keeping it in cash means decreasing your stock/bond holdings by an equivalent amount, which is market timing.

Yeah, I know.  I'll retire some debt (bought a new used car last year with a low interest loan because we've been pounding all extra cash into investments), plug some extra into the kids' 529 plans, bump up the emergency fund, and then put the rest into taxable investments because all our tax advantaged investments are maxed out.  Pretty high class problems to have...

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3737 on: March 08, 2017, 10:13:01 AM »
Towards the end of my toxic work life, I would call in sick because I felt too good to go into work. That place made me sick.

I battle with this decision every morning walking my dog when its nice outside. Every sick day cost me 8 hrs payed back a the end of the year though since i'm maxed out. I can afford it but....

Lentils4Lunch

• Stubble
« Reply #3738 on: March 10, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »

yes!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3739 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
My problem today is that I don't know when I'll have time to do my job because I need to take so much time off:

-The law mandates that everyone can use 10 days a year for sick kids
-We have 10 extra days because the oldest kid is deaf
-Today we got 10 more days approved because the youngest has a brachial plexus injury
-If your kid is at hospital or critically ill, you have to use the sick days (mentioned above) for the first week, after that you can get "caring money". We have had two weeks at hospital so far this year
-If I get sick, I can claim fully paid sick leave for up to 52 weeks. (8 days undocumented, after that I need to see a doctor). I normally use 3-5 days a year.
-My work week is capped at 38.75 hours in the winter time, 35 hours in the summer time. Travel time counts as working time. We don't get paid OT, but extra hours have to be taken out as PTO. I have worked too much the last 14 months, and have 70 hours I need to use.
-The law mandates 5 weeks vacation, but since I worked too much last year, I had to transfer two of those weeks to 2017.
-Parents of deaf children get 40 weeks (spread over 18 years) paid time off for sign language lessons. This training takes place while the kid is at a boarding school for the deaf. This year we have planned 2-3 weeks at deaf school.
-In addition to this, there are 9 days of national holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc) this year, and our Christmas bonus is an extra day off during the Christmas week.

To sum up: I need to find time for 7 weeks of vacation time and 2 weeks PTO this year, but it has to be when there are no national holidays, and the kids or I aren't sick, in hospital, or at deaf school, because then the state pays me not to work. And I'm not sure which forms to use in a couple of weeks, when the youngest will be in hospital at the same time as the oldest is at the school for deaf.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3740 on: March 10, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
My MMP: Mint keeps telling me that I'm being charged $3 to use an ATM, which I do once per month to get out gas money, but my credit union actually refunds this fee at the end of the month. I can't figure out how to tell Mint to ignore this...I think I'm more annoyed by this than is actually reasonable.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3741 on: March 10, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
My MMP: Mint keeps telling me that I'm being charged $3 to use an ATM, which I do once per month to get out gas money, but my credit union actually refunds this fee at the end of the month. I can't figure out how to tell Mint to ignore this...I think I'm more annoyed by this than is actually reasonable.

That reminds me of something similar that happened to me with Personal Capital. My credit card number was stolen, and over $500 was charged at Williams-Sonoma, but I can't get it off my Personal Capital account, and it screws up my monthly average! Ai first world problem for sure, but yes -- annoying!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3742 on: March 10, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »

I stopped using Mint when they starting having massive, recurring issues pulling in my accounts, but I seem to recall being able to "reprogram" the default name and category. For example, I often visited a gas station on a Marshall Street. Mint kept putting that as "Marshalls - Clothing", but I was able to get it to default to "Gas Station Name - Transportation" instead. So maybe that'd work if you reprogrammed it from "Cash Machine - ATM Fee" to "ATM Fee - Refunded" or something?

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3743 on: March 10, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »
Greensheep: Yeah, Vanguard doesn't like it when Mint refreshes so it sends me a security code to my phone and blocks Mint...I have removed the account from Mint for now since it's empty (got ahead of myself opening that one) but I'm not sure what I'll do once I start using that account.

merula: Good idea, thanks! I'll give it a try. I've just been manually adjusting it by checking the 'reimbursable' check box on each transaction individually but it would be nice if it automatically recognized it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3744 on: March 10, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »

I have this problem with the Chase credit card credits for travel purchases. I'll use it for a taxi or commuter train and Mint sees the expense but not the credit.

Do you see the credit at the end of the month in Mint? In that case you could just categorize it as "income" in the same category and it would cancel out the fee.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3745 on: March 10, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »
Greensheep: Yeah, Vanguard doesn't like it when Mint refreshes so it sends me a security code to my phone and blocks Mint...I have removed the account from Mint for now since it's empty (got ahead of myself opening that one) but I'm not sure what I'll do once I start using that account.

Very strange.  I don't have any problems with my Vanguard accounts syncing with Mint.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #3746 on: March 10, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
As the stock market continues its upward march, we reached a significant new net worth milestone, but all I can think about is the inevitable crash with the current captain at the helm of our ship of state.

I'm sure to get flamed, but let me say this: Each of you three, copy/paste this and in 10-20 years, hopefully sooner, reread.

That is how I feel exactly.  I see my small portfolio go up every month by $1,500-2,000 and it makes me more worried than happy.  I can't fully understand this feeling either.  We live in strange times, for sure.

I feel a bit let down too every time I see it keep moving up.  Whether or not it's a fair value, up is not good for anybody not close to FI.  I think I'll feel a little better once interest rates get back somewhere in the realm of normal.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3747 on: March 11, 2017, 04:19:31 AM »
As the stock market continues its upward march, we reached a significant new net worth milestone, but all I can think about is the inevitable crash with the current captain at the helm of our ship of state.

I'm sure to get flamed, but let me say this: Each of you three, copy/paste this and in 10-20 years, hopefully sooner, reread.

That is how I feel exactly.  I see my small portfolio go up every month by $1,500-2,000 and it makes me more worried than happy.  I can't fully understand this feeling either.  We live in strange times, for sure.

I feel a bit let down too every time I see it keep moving up.  Whether or not it's a fair value, up is not good for anybody not close to FI.  I think I'll feel a little better once interest rates get back somewhere in the realm of normal.

It's very nice for those of us who are already FI though, thank you very much. :D

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3748 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
My problem today is that I don't know when I'll have time to do my job because I need to take so much time off:

-Today we got 10 more days approved because the youngest has a brachial plexus injury
-If your kid is at hospital or critically ill, you have to use the sick days (mentioned above) for the first week, after that you can get "caring money". We have had two weeks at hospital so far this year
-If I get sick, I can claim fully paid sick leave for up to 52 weeks. (8 days undocumented, after that I need to see a doctor). I normally use 3-5 days a year.
-My work week is capped at 38.75 hours in the winter time, 35 hours in the summer time. Travel time counts as working time. We don't get paid OT, but extra hours have to be taken out as PTO. I have worked too much the last 14 months, and have 70 hours I need to use.
-The law mandates 5 weeks vacation, but since I worked too much last year, I had to transfer two of those weeks to 2017.
-Parents of deaf children get 40 weeks (spread over 18 years) paid time off for sign language lessons. This training takes place while the kid is at a boarding school for the deaf. This year we have planned 2-3 weeks at deaf school.
-In addition to this, there are 9 days of national holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc) this year, and our Christmas bonus is an extra day off during the Christmas week.

To sum up: I need to find time for 7 weeks of vacation time and 2 weeks PTO this year, but it has to be when there are no national holidays, and the kids or I aren't sick, in hospital, or at deaf school, because then the state pays me not to work. And I'm not sure which forms to use in a couple of weeks, when the youngest will be in hospital at the same time as the oldest is at the school for deaf.

This all seems to be a bit over the top.  What country are you in?  What happens if you like your work and actually want to get it done?  Can you forgo the PTO?

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3749 on: March 11, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »

This all seems to be a bit over the top.  What country are you in?  What happens if you like your work and actually want to get it done?  Can you forgo the PTO?

I can give up the PTO, and keep transferring vacation weeks from one year to the next. But honestly, even though I do love my work, I refuse to work for free. Normally, I can get everything done inbetween. It is just the backlog of PTO and vacation from last year, plus a sicker than normal kid, that makes it more challenging right now.

This is Norway. But it is very similar for all the Nordic countries. The welfare system is fantastic, and probably the only reason I'm able to work full time with two disabled children. My boss knew what she signed up for when she hired me, and has no problem with these issues. In fact, I'm probably one of her more reliable employees, since I can tell her 3-6 months in advance when I'll be home with a sick child. For the state, it is a break even right now, with my taxes making up for the paid sick leave and sign language lessons. But providing this security net now ensures that I will continue to pay taxes for many years to come, and that I raise children that are healthy enough and educated enough to join the work force.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!