Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086524 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #5800 on: December 30, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
First snow storm in my new house, and as I'm shoveling my driveway, my neighbor on one side snow blows my sidewalk while the other comes over and snow blows the rest of the driveway for me.

I thank them both and am obviously grateful for their generosity, but how do I tell them that I prefer to shovel for exercise and enjoyment without sounding like an ungrateful dick?

I guess I'll just have to wake up earlier and beat them to it. :)

In about 5 years the novelty of shoveling snow will wear off then you will have no offers to help. Let them do it and maybe do something for them without being asked. Or buy them a gift cert at a grocery store or a bottle of booze. If you want to shovel, please come to my house! I have 3 long sidewalks and a two driveways! Not to mention out on the road where my mailbox is. Oh, and out back where the oil delivery comes must be shoveled.

I-Ranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5801 on: December 30, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »
First snow storm in my new house, and as I'm shoveling my driveway, my neighbor on one side snow blows my sidewalk while the other comes over and snow blows the rest of the driveway for me.

I thank them both and am obviously grateful for their generosity, but how do I tell them that I prefer to shovel for exercise and enjoyment without sounding like an ungrateful dick?

I guess I'll just have to wake up earlier and beat them to it. :)

In about 5 years the novelty of shoveling snow will wear off then you will have no offers to help. Let them do it and maybe do something for them without being asked. Or buy them a gift cert at a grocery store or a bottle of booze. If you want to shovel, please come to my house! I have 3 long sidewalks and a two driveways! Not to mention out on the road where my mailbox is. Oh, and out back where the oil delivery comes must be shoveled.

Thanks, Dad, but I'm 42 and have been shoveling my whole life. My unsolicited advice to you would be to re-read the name of this thread.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5802 on: December 30, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
This Christmas, I made a few DIY gifts (winter toques) for DD and our helper. I had extra yarn, so yesterday, I made a hat for myself. Today, we went out with friends, and I wore my new hat. One friend commented that she really liked my hat, so I gave her my hat. It was snowing. She didn’t have a hat, and I had a hood on my jacket. My sisters also saw my hat and now they each want one as well.

So because I Mustachian-ly DIY’d my own hat, I now have to make three extra hats. I may even have to buy more yarn. 😱

That's kind of you, but for the future may I refer you to:
https://www.ravelry.com/groups/selfish-knitters--crocheters

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5803 on: December 30, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
Now I wanted honey in my tea and it's all cristalized within a few weeks from buying it due to the cold :o

Oh!  That's what happened to the honey!  I didn't know it did that, thanks for enlightening me! :D  I was wondering why our honey had crystallized, and now it makes sense!

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5804 on: December 30, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »
Newest discussion.   I made the mistake of entering the following (paraphrased) conversation.

Them:  "Oh, what are you doing?"

Me:  "Nothing too much, just mending some clothes while I watch some TV*."  (*By 'TV' in this case, I mean watching some free stuff on Twitch.tv.  I like having something on to watch while I hand-sew or rag-braid.)

Them:  "Mending?  Can't you just buy new clothes?"

Me: (Biting back my rant about the wastefulness that is the fashion industry) "No, it's ok, I'm almost done, and this isn't hard."

Them:  "Oh, so what are you mending?" 

Me: (sigh) ". . . a bra."

Awkward conversation change quickly ensues.

Ugh!  Comfortable bras that fit are hard to find.  Plus, I'm willing to spend a little more and/or frugal hack, to not buy clothes that were made in sweatshops.  (When I have to buy clothes at all, that is).  And yes, you're darn right I'm going to mend pretty much everything I own, especially my bras, since they tend to be the most expensive part of my wardrobe!    Why is this so confusing? 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5805 on: December 31, 2018, 01:24:12 AM »
I like to think people think mending is strange because they don't have my sewing skills. Mending is only visible when it's done badly.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5806 on: December 31, 2018, 09:24:36 AM »
I like to think people think mending is strange because they don't have my sewing skills. Mending is only visible when it's done badly.

Re lack of sewing skills, it's not just mending.  It's simple alterations: re-hem pants or a skirt, reinforce a button before it comes off, all the little things.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5807 on: December 31, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
I have very primitive sewing skills, I only use it to darn socks and re-sew holes, sew on buttons, etc in clothes, and yes little items for my youngest for her barbie and polly pocket dolls (blankets, mattresses, pillows, simple outfits).

My youngest has been bugging me to show her how to sew, but I honestly don't have time. This week when I visited my ex's house there was a sewing machine set up, and apparently she is learning how to sew! I am so glad because she is always thinking of new things she wants for her barbies (she watches youtube videos of various "hacks") and now will be able to make them herself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:35:35 AM by partgypsy »

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5808 on: December 31, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »
.  It's simple alterations: re-hem pants or a skirt, reinforce a button before it comes off, all the little things.

Yes!  My sewing skills aren't that great, and I still can do these things.  And thank you for reminding me, I've got a skirt that needs to be re-hemed.

Also, as a little kid, I was taught that one of the ways to judge the quality of store bought clothes is how well the buttons were sewn on!  I've no idea if that's actually true, but it does seem to be an accurate test in my limited experience.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5809 on: December 31, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
This reminds me to learn how to hem a pair of pants. Holiday vacation is short.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5810 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »
This reminds me to learn how to hem a pair of pants. Holiday vacation is short.

Vacation is short, pants are long.... ;)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5811 on: December 31, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
This Christmas, I made a few DIY gifts (winter toques) for DD and our helper. I had extra yarn, so yesterday, I made a hat for myself. Today, we went out with friends, and I wore my new hat. One friend commented that she really liked my hat, so I gave her my hat. It was snowing. She didn’t have a hat, and I had a hood on my jacket. My sisters also saw my hat and now they each want one as well.

So because I Mustachian-ly DIY’d my own hat, I now have to make three extra hats. I may even have to buy more yarn. 😱

I do it more because it strokes my ego that someone would want something I crafted for fun. I sometimes often doubt my skills.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5812 on: January 01, 2019, 07:32:43 AM »

I do it more because it strokes my ego that someone would want something I crafted for fun. I sometimes often doubt my skills.

Okay, that qualifies   ;-)     If you want to do it (and that is a good reason) you are being "selfish". It's if you do it out of guilt or pressure - that is not so good.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5813 on: January 01, 2019, 09:09:37 AM »
Logged into my 401k account to up my contributions for 2019 to $19k and the website says the 2019 limit is still 18,500.  Guess I have to talk to HR tomorrow.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5814 on: January 01, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »
Logged into my 401k account to up my contributions for 2019 to $19k and the website says the 2019 limit is still 18,500.  Guess I have to talk to HR tomorrow.

Now that. That is *perfectly* a MPP!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5815 on: January 01, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »
I can't add to my IRA until I figure out all the interest/dividends to make sure I stay right under the savers credit.  I'm inpatient.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #5816 on: January 01, 2019, 07:19:04 PM »
I was given a generous gift card to a steakhouse as a gift. This is the kind of place I would never feel comfortable taking my kids and DH and I never go out without them. As a person with food sensitivities, I would be limited to a $30 steak or a $15 salad at this restaurant. I don’t spend that kind of money on myself for a meal out so I have no idea when I will use this card. As this is a local place only, I can’t resell the card on one of the GC sites and can’t sell it on the local Facebook sites as the gift giver is on those sites.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5817 on: January 01, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
I was given a generous gift card to a steakhouse as a gift. This is the kind of place I would never feel comfortable taking my kids and DH and I never go out without them. As a person with food sensitivities, I would be limited to a $30 steak or a $15 salad at this restaurant. I don’t spend that kind of money on myself for a meal out so I have no idea when I will use this card. As this is a local place only, I can’t resell the card on one of the GC sites and can’t sell it on the local Facebook sites as the gift giver is on those sites.

We have one of those Steakhouse gift cards.  We won it at a drawing.  It has been in my wallet for about a year now.  We will use it eventually. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5818 on: January 01, 2019, 09:23:15 PM »

Treat a friend! I have a gift card for a restaurant we don't even have in our city. Am looking for a friend to give it to.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5819 on: January 01, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
I have a MPP.

Being Canadian (like the vast majority) we have a mortgage that needs to be renewed every 5 years.  But!! our income fell last year due to my FIRE and meanwhile interest rates have gone up and if you want to shop your mortgage, you need to income qualify for a 5.5% rate because of the rule changes.    (36% gross debt ratio on a 5.5% rate)

Ouch.  we may not qualify and need to pay down our mortgage OR we are stuck with whatever our current lender will give us.

We have money in our TFSA's which I set aside, invested, instead of pre-paying the mortgage faster.   This was intentionally done for our mortgage because it is so large and a risk with its variable rate. 

MPP -- I really like having the investments and I don't want to remove $$'s from it to pay down the mortgage. !!!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #5820 on: January 01, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »
Check out tangerine, they are offering to beat any offers for mortgages, so you might be able to negociate your current one down by playing them against each other.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #5821 on: January 01, 2019, 10:43:19 PM »
We’ve been with friends this week for overnight visits. Everyone’s houses are too warm. I can’t wait to get back to our pleasantly cool house.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5822 on: January 02, 2019, 04:54:51 AM »
We’ve been with friends this week for overnight visits. Everyone’s houses are too warm. I can’t wait to get back to our pleasantly cool house.

^This.  I had all last week off for the holiday, and when I went back to work this week the building felt so hot.  I couldn't wait to get home. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5823 on: January 02, 2019, 05:11:51 AM »

I visited my mother at Christmas. I always find her home very cold and often need to ask if it can be a bit warmer. This probably has to do with the fact that I wear pretty thin Christmas clothes when I visit her. At home I would have put on a warm sweater and put a thick blanket over my knees. But also, at home we often lit the wood stove in the evening, which makes it nice and warm. My mother did turn on the gas stove, which also gave some warmth.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5824 on: January 02, 2019, 05:17:13 AM »
I guess this is also a sort of Mustachian people problem:

I have a cell phone plan with only half a gb of data per month, for the price of 12$. I can transfer whenever I have leftover at the end of the month to next month, maximum half a gb. I do this every month, so at every new month, I start with 1 gb and send half a gb to next month.
In December my provider gave me an extra gb as a gift. So I started with 2 gb. I travelled abroad (within Europe), but visited homes with wifi. I did use my data a little bit. Then I spent some time at our cabin, using 4G for a week. But I only managed to use up half a gb of the 2 gb that I had. So I have lost all but half a gb this month.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #5825 on: January 03, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »
we visited family in a strange place  and they could not believe that we did not have unlimited data to run maps of the city the whole time we were there.
you would have thought we were driving a horse and buggy

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5826 on: January 03, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
we visited family in a strange place  and they could not believe that we did not have unlimited data to run maps of the city the whole time we were there.

With google you can download large maps and use them offline.  You can use them online too so you get live traffic, but not having to download the map saves almost all of the cellular data usage.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5827 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »

With google you can download large maps and use them offline.  You can use them online too so you get live traffic, but not having to download the map saves almost all of the cellular data usage.

How do you download maps with google??  I am looking but not finding info.

I use the Maps.me app offline across Europe and the US. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5828 on: January 03, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »

How do you download maps with google??  I am looking but not finding info.

I use the Maps.me app offline across Europe and the US.

I use the google maps app for android.  I click the triple line thing to the left of the search bar and there is an offline maps option.  You can then manually select an area of the map to download.  It expires monthly I think, but you can set it to automatically refresh when it expires.  I downloaded a couple large areas encompassing my region and I haven't had to touch it in a long time.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #5829 on: January 03, 2019, 11:06:42 AM »

^This.  I had all last week off for the holiday, and when I went back to work this week the building felt so hot.  I couldn't wait to get home.

Yup.  My in-laws were with us over the holidays.  We cranked our heat up to an egregious 69 F to keep them comfortable.  For the first few days, we all roasted.  Then we adjusted  Finally back down to our usual 58.  It'll be a bit of an adjustment, but I'm really enjoying it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5830 on: January 03, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
Triple line thing is called a “hamburger menu” or so McDonald’s would have me believe

I also use offline maps, but mostly because I’m terrified I’ll follow maps into an area with no coverage but won’t be able to use it to get out.  It’s happened occasionally and I had to really remember what the route was before I accidentally stopped navigation or whatever.  Beats keeping backup paper maps

That said, mapping relatively little data.  Unless you are paying by the MB or something obscene, it shouldn’t be enough to put you over your cap (my mom was complaining that she couldn’t use maps because she kept going over her 2GB cap so I looked into it... no it was a bunch of other apps that were the culprits)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5831 on: January 03, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »

Yup.  My in-laws were with us over the holidays.  We cranked our heat up to an egregious 69 F to keep them comfortable.  For the first few days, we all roasted.  Then we adjusted  Finally back down to our usual 58.  It'll be a bit of an adjustment, but I'm really enjoying it.
Brr.  Maybe I'm a wuss.  We were in a hotel this past weekend - it was a bit too toasty for me.  I don't know what they kept it at.  Prob mid-70s.  We usually have our house at 65-68.  But I have been freezing my butt off.  The other day I finally gave up and was wearing leggings under my flannel PJs, 3 layers on top.  I practically had a scarf on indoors.

This winter (I'm in So Cal, so don't be sad for me) has been colder than last AND I'm about 5-7 lbs lighter, and I can surely feel the difference.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5832 on: January 03, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »
Triple line thing is called a “hamburger menu” or so McDonald’s would have me believe

I also use offline maps, but mostly because I’m terrified I’ll follow maps into an area with no coverage but won’t be able to use it to get out.  It’s happened occasionally and I had to really remember what the route was before I accidentally stopped navigation or whatever.  Beats keeping backup paper maps

That said, mapping relatively little data.  Unless you are paying by the MB or something obscene, it shouldn’t be enough to put you over your cap (my mom was complaining that she couldn’t use maps because she kept going over her 2GB cap so I looked into it... no it was a bunch of other apps that were the culprits)

I used the offline feature when I was too cheap to pay for a data plan.  I continue to use it because why not?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5833 on: January 03, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
And if you have a big enough area mapped with offline maps then you'll be able to find your way back out of a wrong turn.

Alternatively: offline GPS mapping software. I have one on my phone. Needs no data b/c everything is self-contained. I followed all the way across the country and back with good success.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5834 on: January 03, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »

Budget for more spending on heat in retirement. As you get older, you may well find that the aches and pains that come with aging or arthritis are merely annoying in the high 60s but unbearable in the high 50s. I did, which is really annoying since we would not have to heat this earth sheltered house at all if I could manage 55-56 (and if the elderly dog could).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5835 on: January 04, 2019, 03:14:21 AM »

Wow @Aelias -- 58 is low, good for you.  We did mid-to upper 50s in the daytime last winter (involuntarily, extreme house remodeling woes) and it was rough.  We wore coats and hats indoors.  We survived, but I wouldn't choose to do that again. This winter, with our newly intact walls and roof (woo hoo!) we are at 64 during the day.  But I still wear multiple warm layers, and sometimes a scarf.  Any cooler and I would be back to a coat. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5836 on: January 04, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »
You guys are hard core.

My husband has many fine and frugal qualities but he can't stand the heat below 70 degrees and really prefers 72. He turns it up to that sometimes if he is cold or sick. It's not an issue now because we live in the top floor of one of those places where the gas heat is not individually metered, so we are probably paying for other people to be warm anyway. We will need a well-insulated house...

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #5837 on: January 06, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »
Our thermostat runs 61 (16C) most days and nights, with a 1.5 hour rise to 68 (20C) in the AM to make getting out of bed easier. On days I’m home I generally find myself reaching for a sweater mid morning (about 3 hours after the thermostat stops trying for 68).

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5838 on: January 06, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
So, I got a bunch of gift-cards to the local movie theatre.  This is actually really great, since that means I can indulge in the odd movie at the theatre for free!

. . . but I haven't been paying any attention to the movies that are coming out/have come out/upcoming.  Beyond Aquaman (which I was originally going to wait until it came to Netflix), I have -no- idea what I'd spend this on!  :D

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5839 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:31 AM »
So, I got a bunch of gift-cards to the local movie theatre.  This is actually really great, since that means I can indulge in the odd movie at the theatre for free!

. . . but I haven't been paying any attention to the movies that are coming out/have come out/upcoming.  Beyond Aquaman (which I was originally going to wait until it came to Netflix), I have -no- idea what I'd spend this on!  :D

I used to live next to an open-air mall, and me and DH would walk around it for exercise.  There's a theater at one end, and we developed a habit of popping into the theater lobby for some heat or A/C.  Eventually we just developed the habit of going in specifically to roll our eyes at the movies they were showing.  I'm really not impressed by most stuff in the theaters. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5840 on: January 07, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »

OMG, me too!

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #5841 on: January 08, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »
a couple of years ago I started a new job.  I rode my bike to work (parked it in an empty office), I brought in my lunch, I wore simple pants and top everyday (bike riding) people chatted and were surprised by my lack of celebrity knowledge - I explained I cut off Cable TV - basically no TV for years, they were like, "are you Amish"!!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5842 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:44 PM »
...they were like, "are you Amish"!!

That's hilarious! (No, no beard...just a nice, strong mustache!)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5843 on: January 08, 2019, 08:52:49 PM »
a couple of years ago I started a new job.  I rode my bike to work (parked it in an empty office), I brought in my lunch, I wore simple pants and top everyday (bike riding) people chatted and were surprised by my lack of celebrity knowledge - I explained I cut off Cable TV - basically no TV for years, they were like, "are you Amish"!!
We had no TVs in the house when I was a kid.  Since we did live in Amish country,I took "are you Amish?"as a reasonable question.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5844 on: January 09, 2019, 06:17:39 AM »
I wanted to post *something* that I want over in the "What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?" thread but I found a pretty good deal on a used one and I'm scared that if I share the link, someone else will buy it and I won't be able to stare longingly at it every few days anymore.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5845 on: January 09, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
The company that I work for was purchased in 2018 so that means that we are switching to a new 401k provider.  The old 401k made a distribution on 12/28 to start the rollover to the new 401k provider.... My money still has not shown up at the new 401k provider but my contribution from payday (last Friday) has and it is driving me crazy. 

I don't watch the market very closely but I would really like that money to be put back into the market at as close to the same prices that it was pulled out as possible!

Also my new bond fund has an expense fee of 0.25%, I am in a 90/10 asset allocation so it isn't a lot of money and it is the lowest fee on a bond but I don't love it.  The stock fees are all 0.0_%, much more to my liking.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5846 on: January 09, 2019, 09:21:58 AM »
We had no TVs in the house when I was a kid.  Since we did live in Amish country,I took "are you Amish?"as a reasonable question.

I think the only thing that kept me from getting this question at my last job was that I worked with a guy who actually was Amish. He drove a car and had a cell phone, so I suppose he wasn't the most traditional, but he could grow or make just about anything you could ever need. I wish I had his skills!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5847 on: January 09, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »

OMG, me too!

Over the holidays I attended a movie. Due to technical delays the movie theater handed out tickets to a free movie with a drink and popcorn on them. I wondered what else I'd want to see b/c like you I don't keep up with the movie trailers.

Then for Christmas my family was gifted a $ generous theater gift card so we could all go see a movie (or two on matinee).

We still don't know what to go see. Perfect gift though.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5848 on: January 09, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
I often just wait for them to come out on Netflix/Prime... but maybe I'm weird, but I always hear of movies that pique my interest... Right now if I had extra time, I'd go see that one about Ruth Ginsburg...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5849 on: January 10, 2019, 01:55:08 AM »
I got a blister on my heel from walking to work this morning. In the afternoon I need to walk back the same 7,5 km with the blister. :-(

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!