Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086795 times)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3750 on: March 11, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »

This is Norway. But it is very similar for all the Nordic countries.

I'm Swedish, and I can say that it is similar here.

One downside I've seen is that some employers get more picky and may avoid to hire people where they suspect high levels of medical leave.  The general tax level on payrolls, and the fact that it's quite hard to fire people makes smaller companies really hesitant to hire in general, and even more so when they suspect medical issues.  Having your first and only employee getting ill may cause your company into financial trouble.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3751 on: March 13, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »
My MMP: Mint keeps telling me that I'm being charged $3 to use an ATM, which I do once per month to get out gas money, but my credit union actually refunds this fee at the end of the month. I can't figure out how to tell Mint to ignore this...I think I'm more annoyed by this than is actually reasonable.

I have this problem with the Chase credit card credits for travel purchases. I'll use it for a taxi or commuter train and Mint sees the expense but not the credit.

Do you see the credit at the end of the month in Mint? In that case you could just categorize it as "income" in the same category and it would cancel out the fee.

Uh-huh, it evens out. I just find the notification that pops up at the top of the page when I log in frustrating. It's not a problem in terms of actual tracking - more me being whiny. I should just ignore it.

Greensheep: Yeah, Vanguard doesn't like it when Mint refreshes so it sends me a security code to my phone and blocks Mint...I have removed the account from Mint for now since it's empty (got ahead of myself opening that one) but I'm not sure what I'll do once I start using that account.

Very strange.  I don't have any problems with my Vanguard accounts syncing with Mint.

I'm just lucky, I guess! :D

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3752 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
In the latest Frugalwoods blog, the reader in the case study discusses going to graduate school to get a master's degree. She referred to it as an MPP, and my brain read it as "Mustachian People Problem" before I resorted to Google to figure out what she meant. (Masters in Public Policy) So my Mustachian People Problem is that MPP always means Mustachian People Problem to me.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3753 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:39 AM »
My MPP today is that I am SO impatient to get my tax return back, not for the money, but so that I can confirm my RRSP contribution limit before I start contributing for 2017!

((Income - investment income) * 0.18) - pension adjustment ???

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3754 on: March 14, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »
In the latest Frugalwoods blog, the reader in the case study discusses going to graduate school to get a master's degree. She referred to it as an MPP, and my brain read it as "Mustachian People Problem" before I resorted to Google to figure out what she meant. (Masters in Public Policy) So my Mustachian People Problem is that MPP always means Mustachian People Problem to me.

My sister is graduating this spring with a Masters in Public Policy. I have been assured that she can get a decently paying job. What that job is has been repeatedly explained to me and I still don't understand, but that's ok.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #3755 on: March 15, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »

This is Norway. But it is very similar for all the Nordic countries.

I'm Swedish, and I can say that it is similar here.

One downside I've seen is that some employers get more picky and may avoid to hire people where they suspect high levels of medical leave.  The general tax level on payrolls, and the fact that it's quite hard to fire people makes smaller companies really hesitant to hire in general, and even more so when they suspect medical issues.  Having your first and only employee getting ill may cause your company into financial trouble.
Netherlands here, not as official with some but in practice quite the same.

Our youngest has Downsyndrome and is also hard of hearing for which we have a lot of types of care, both at home and in Hospital. On average i miss half a day every other week to meet those appointments.
Our oldest also has special needs because his language development is far behind. I'm very open about both kids at work and though there are some organisational issues (planning projects) the colleagues are very supportive of our situation.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3756 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »
I really wish I'd been born in a Scandinavian country. Your governments really seem to support their citizens. You know, the purpose of government. (My country is a little confused about that.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3757 on: March 15, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
I'm wanting to take extended maternity leave.

My husband totally used my standard argument against me.
"Well, if you take the $10,000+ not earned in the extra weeks, and consider a 7% return, the actual cost of the leave is ..."

He was of course joking, and told me to do what I want; but he kind of has a point.  (If the baby comes more than 2 days early, I won't have the option, because of weird ways benefits work and how much PTO I have, so we just figured we'll let her decide.)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3758 on: March 15, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
But providing this security net now ensures that I will continue to pay taxes for many years to come, and that I raise children that are healthy enough and educated enough to join the work force.

IF only we could get your statement understood and acknowledged by the conservatives in the USA... Good long term decisions with good long term outcomes. That's living!

It seems the conservatives I know are all about the wedge issues and little more - who uses which bathroom, assault rifles, waging war in foreign lands, etc. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:16:05 PM by Tasty Pinecones »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3759 on: March 15, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
They're switching us from semi-monthly (current) payroll to bi-weekly (in arrears) payroll, with the result that in the end you're paid the same, but in April we're all going to be paid about 30% short (due to the "arrears" part) and each month where we don't have a third paycheck we'll get ~7% less money than we do now (which will all end up in that "extra" third paycheck 2x a year).

Co-workers: "What are we going to do in April!?!"  (They haven't figured out that their regular paychecks will be 7% lower so that hasn't come up yet.)

Me, having a MPP: Man, this sucks, that means some of my investments are going to go into the market later (since the next 3-paycheck month isn't until September) and statistically speaking, this means my returns will be lower.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3760 on: March 15, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »
Me, having a MPP: Man, this sucks, that means some of my investments are going to go into the market later (since the next 3-paycheck month isn't until September) and statistically speaking, this means my returns will be lower.

Long term that means you'll be able to invest slightly sooner since you'red getting paychecks more often.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3761 on: March 15, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »

Long term that means you'll be able to invest slightly sooner since you'red getting paychecks more often.

Hmm. I don't really feel like doing the math involved to see how long it would take me to 1. catch up and 2. overcome the drag of the first however-many-months I was behind schedule. We missed the first "third paycheck" of the year so it's not that straightforward. Plus we just got acquired on Feb 1 and every paycheck we've gotten has been different so far while they figure things out. (This has been hard to watch since I used to run payroll for us, and was very good at it...)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3762 on: March 15, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
They're switching us from semi-monthly (current) payroll to bi-weekly (in arrears) payroll, with the result that in the end you're paid the same, but in April we're all going to be paid about 30% short (due to the "arrears" part) and each month where we don't have a third paycheck we'll get ~7% less money than we do now (which will all end up in that "extra" third paycheck 2x a year).

Co-workers: "What are we going to do in April!?!"  (They haven't figured out that their regular paychecks will be 7% lower so that hasn't come up yet.)

I sense you're going to have some overheard at work stories soon

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3763 on: March 15, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »

I sense you're going to have some overheard at work stories soon

I'm sure I will! I really do feel bad for 2 of them - one of them has been down to almost no cash because he was renting a room and paying a mortgage simultaneously for a few months while waiting for the sale to go through. Plus the "trying to sell" expenses like painting, etc. He was trying to do the frugal thing by selling his $600k Manhattan condo (which he couldn't afford) and moving into a roommate-rental situation in a much cheaper neighborhood. Probably cutting his housing cost by 2/3. He'll be in great shape long-term but short-term he is in a squeeze.

The other one is in sales and the new company is converting him from monthly commissions to quarterly, so his paychecks have already been short for a couple months.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #3764 on: March 15, 2017, 11:05:47 PM »
My MPP today is that I am SO impatient to get my tax return back, not for the money, but so that I can confirm my RRSP contribution limit before I start contributing for 2017!

((Income - investment income) * 0.18) - pension adjustment ???

Haha! Yes! I was so excited to figure out how much more to top my RRSP (carry over from less mustachian years;), that I forgot to enter my husband's income (so the software gave me a credit for a dependant) and instead of breaking even, I ended up having to pay $1200 once I filed our actual taxes a month later. It's okay, though, he got a refund so we came out "ahead".

When I got my Notice of Assessment a few days ago, the first thing I did was make a single RRSP contribution to bring it to the maximum after what I plan to contribute monthly. My MPP is that my income will be about the same this year and I won't have the unused room, so I will definitely have a bigger tax bill.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #3765 on: March 16, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »
My "problem" if you want to call it that is conjuring up a fake smile and pretending I'm excited about the annual bonus. And to put this into context, my bonus these days amounts to approximately an additional paycheck, so it's nothing that changes my life ... or even my weekend.

Truth is, I'm no longer motivated by money, and I guess it shows. The first year my boss told me about the upcoming bump in my next paycheck, he remarked, "Are you not happy with your bonus? You look a little upset."

It ain't the bonus: It's being stuck here in a corporate office.

31 months to FIRE.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #3766 on: March 16, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
My MPP: getting weird looks being told I should be one of those "tiny house" people when my co-workers found out we do not have cable.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:17:54 PM by greengardens »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3767 on: March 17, 2017, 02:36:49 AM »
My MPP: getting weird looks being told I should be one of those "tiny house" people when my co-workers found out we do not have cable.
Did you say you are just building it on your weekends and if they want to join to hands-on-stuff-fun?

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #3768 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
lol.  Because living in a tiny house is TOTALLY the same as not having cable.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3769 on: March 17, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
I don't have cable, or a TV, or (gasp) a cell phone - but I no longer have coworkers either.  Coincidence?  I think not. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:42:58 PM by Cannot Wait! »

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #3770 on: March 17, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »
Did you say you are just building it on your weekends and if they want to join to hands-on-stuff-fun?

Ha! I wish I had

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #3771 on: March 19, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
When you are getting ready for a work related 12 hours business class flight, with free food in the lounge, and two free meals on the plane, and you still eat a "clean out the fridge" meal before leaving. Because even if you cook with leftovers it is better tasting than the free airport and airplane food.
Still feels wasteful for not taking advantage of all that free food!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3772 on: March 19, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »
When you are getting ready for a work related 12 hours business class flight, with free food in the lounge, and two free meals on the plane, and you still eat a "clean out the fridge" meal before leaving. Because even if you cook with leftovers it is better tasting than the free airport and airplane food.
Still feels wasteful for not taking advantage of all that free food!

MPP:  Feeling guily for not drinking enough free beer after getting upgraded to 1st class. Usually too tired, and relaxed after months-long jobs.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #3773 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:23 AM »
Because even if you cook with leftovers it is better tasting than the free airport and airplane food.
When I was a student, our motto was "Taste is quality times quantity divided by price". Thus, as long as the quality remains above zero, free food is always tasty.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3774 on: March 20, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »
New MPP.   I have lost 15 lbs this year and my clothes are now ill fitting, but I am still 10 lbs from my goal weight, so I cannot get anything that fits yet.  So just as I am unfortunately back in the dating pool, I look a bit frumpy.  Maybe I just need to convince myself that chicks dig saggy buttt jeans. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3775 on: March 20, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »
New MPP.   I have lost 15 lbs this year and my clothes are now ill fitting, but I am still 10 lbs from my goal weight, so I cannot get anything that fits yet.  So just as I am unfortunately back in the dating pool, I look a bit frumpy.  Maybe I just need to convince myself that chicks dig saggy buttt jeans.

Try to use the sewing machine and adjust them. Or try to find some cheap used clothes in your current size.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3776 on: March 20, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »

Try to use the sewing machine and adjust them. Or try to find some cheap used clothes in your current size.
See the Thrift Shop thread.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3777 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »

See the Thrift Shop thread.
+1
I'm also a fan of eBay, but that's more expensive than a thrift shop.  I spend about $10-$15 on a pair of jeans that I could get at a thrift shop for $5-7 (or new for $115).  However, I'm very attached to a specific type and style, so eBay just alerts me when there is an item that fits my criteria. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3778 on: March 20, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
Because even if you cook with leftovers it is better tasting than the free airport and airplane food.
When I was a student, our motto was "Taste is quality times quantity divided by price". Thus, as long as the quality remains above zero, free food is always tasty.

You must not have been math students. Free food makes that a divide-by-zero error.

But I agree with the sentiment that free food is almost always worthwhile.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3779 on: March 20, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
Thrift shops for temporary clothes?  That's where I get my permanent clothes!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3780 on: March 21, 2017, 03:42:17 AM »
My MPP: I only buy meat and fish when it's reduced as it's nearing it sell-by date. I freeze it immediately, and meal plan from the freezer, so I never have to buy full-priced stuff.

Well, lately, I have just been getting deal after deal. A whole Seabass for 99p. Cod loin (two large fillets) for £1.33. A joint of beef for £2.99. A leg of lamb for £3.99!

My freezer is full, and yes, we could just eat like Kings every single night... but in reality we only eat meat and fish two or three times a week. I don't want us to get used to all that rich (in both senses) food every night. We enjoy vegetarian meals! But the freezer stash is getting out of control.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3781 on: March 21, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
My MPP: I only buy meat and fish when it's reduced as it's nearing it sell-by date. I freeze it immediately, and meal plan from the freezer, so I never have to buy full-priced stuff.

Well, lately, I have just been getting deal after deal. A whole Seabass for 99p. Cod loin (two large fillets) for £1.33. A joint of beef for £2.99. A leg of lamb for £3.99!

My freezer is full, and yes, we could just eat like Kings every single night... but in reality we only eat meat and fish two or three times a week. I don't want us to get used to all that rich (in both senses) food every night. We enjoy vegetarian meals! But the freezer stash is getting out of control.
Then save even more by not not buying!

On a related MPP I just counted: I already eat half of the chocolade christmas stuff I bought for -2/3 in early January. Need to be careful so that I have no gap until Eastern and the reduced bunnies afterwards.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3782 on: March 21, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »

On a related MPP I just counted: I already eat half of the chocolate christmas stuff I bought for -2/3 in early January. Need to be careful so that I have no gap until Eastern and the reduced bunnies afterwards.

Thanks for the reminder. I should also go look for after-easter chocolate in the bulk shops. Only challenge is that I don't particularly like milk chocolate and that is 99% of what is sold in my country. But maybe I can find something that tastes good.

financepatriot@gmail.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Passionate about FI at www.thefinancepatriot.com
    • The Finance Patriot-  The road to early retirement
« Reply #3783 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »
When I sign up for a new credit card sign up bonus to do travel hacking (obtaining large amounts of points to redeem toward free travel), meeting the minimum spend required to get the bonus is a real challenge. 

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #3784 on: March 21, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
MPP:

I had to convince myself that the dress that I loved the fit of and knew would be easy to dye to an even better color (black, black is better than almost any color), was worth the the goodwill price of 5.99.

I normally buy my clothes for 2-3.50.  The 5.99 almost kept me from it, but them I realized how ridiculous I was being.  Even after a 4.00 dye job, I would have an amazingly comfy, flattering and versatile dress for 10.00...a LBD at that! 

Such a problem to have......

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3785 on: March 22, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »
I was going to post this screenshot on Facebook and make a joke about how I'm announcing my retirement tomorrow, but then I realized no one in my FB feed would get the joke. (If that percent increase turns out to be real, I really AM retiring tomorrow. You heard it here first.)

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3786 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
I was going to post this screenshot on Facebook and make a joke about how I'm announcing my retirement tomorrow, but then I realized no one in my FB feed would get the joke. (If that percent increase turns out to be real, I really AM retiring tomorrow. You heard it here first.)

Boy did Morningstar ever get harsh on there ratings. How did it only receive 3 stars?  LOL

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #3787 on: March 22, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
My "problem" if you want to call it that is conjuring up a fake smile and pretending I'm excited about the annual bonus. And to put this into context, my bonus these days amounts to approximately an additional paycheck, so it's nothing that changes my life ... or even my weekend.

Had a very similar experience when the head of our department was talking about all the opportunities for "advancement" in the company.

Wow--you mean I could get even more money, and all I have to do is take on more responsibility, travel more, and spend less time with my family?  Sign me up! ::sarcasm::

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3788 on: March 23, 2017, 04:33:05 AM »

Boy did Morningstar ever get harsh on there ratings. How did it only receive 3 stars?  LOL
They rae performance of several years. So if that thing dropped 90% 2 years back...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3789 on: March 23, 2017, 06:41:20 AM »
MPP:

I had to convince myself that the dress that I loved the fit of and knew would be easy to dye to an even better color (black, black is better than almost any color), was worth the the goodwill price of 5.99.

I normally buy my clothes for 2-3.50.  The 5.99 almost kept me from it, but them I realized how ridiculous I was being.  Even after a 4.00 dye job, I would have an amazingly comfy, flattering and versatile dress for 10.00...a LBD at that! 

I had someone trying to sell me some cute baby clothes for about $2 a piece. I told her no thanks, it was too much money.  I try to stay under $1 a piece and keep my average around 50 cents.  I don't care that someone originally bought them for $20 or more. That's insane.

I think I'd be wary of a $6 dress I had to dye.  Not all fabric takes dye evenly, so you could end up with a dud.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3790 on: March 23, 2017, 06:43:48 AM »

I'm a little surprised that Morningstar is even relevant anyway, and puzzled why anyone would bother to even care about any kind of "rating" of mutual funds. Seems like an obvious choice to me to just go with the lowest-expense-ratio index funds... and distribute your investible-assets between different asset-class funds based on your desired allocation.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #3791 on: March 23, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »
MPP:

I had someone trying to sell me some cute baby clothes for about $2 a piece. I told her no thanks, it was too much money.  I try to stay under $1 a piece and keep my average around 50 cents.  I don't care that someone originally bought them for $20 or more. That's insane.

I think I'd be wary of a $6 dress I had to dye.  Not all fabric takes dye evenly, so you could end up with a dud.

I did my research on the fabric.  Seems it should dye similiarly to cotton, which I've dyed many, many times :)  So, yeah, still some risk....but I'm also really picky about dresses, and almost never find something at goodwill I like.  So I'll take the risk ;) 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3792 on: March 24, 2017, 03:35:11 AM »

I'm a little surprised that Morningstar is even relevant anyway, and puzzled why anyone would bother to even care about any kind of "rating" of mutual funds. Seems like an obvious choice to me to just go with the lowest-expense-ratio index funds... and distribute your investible-assets between different asset-class funds based on your desired allocation.
I'm a little suprised that weather forecasts are even relevant anyway, and puzzled why anyone woudl bother to even care to watch them on TV or internet when all you need to do is look out of the window and into the sky.

Those ratings are to make money for rating firms. And they are used to sell stuff to people who have no knowledge about the topic. It's a nice marketing trick taking the "rating" of e.g. miles per gallon to a "rating" return on investment.
Of course past performance (which the ratins use almost exclusivly) is no indicaator for future performance, and you can read that every time, but the people just read it and say "duh, I know that!" and trust the rating anyway because experts made them.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3793 on: March 24, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »

I'm a little suprised that weather forecasts are even relevant anyway, and puzzled why anyone woudl bother to even care to watch them on TV or internet when all you need to do is look out of the window and into the sky.

Those ratings are to make money for rating firms. And they are used to sell stuff to people who have no knowledge about the topic. It's a nice marketing trick taking the "rating" of e.g. miles per gallon to a "rating" return on investment.
Of course past performance (which the ratins use almost exclusivly) is no indicaator for future performance, and you can read that every time, but the people just read it and say "duh, I know that!" and trust the rating anyway because experts made them.

Uh, is this sarcasm?  Weather forecasts are great for knowing if it's going to rain tomorrow.  More days out, less reliable, but still helpful

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3794 on: March 24, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »

Uh, is this sarcasm?  Weather forecasts are great for knowing if it's going to rain tomorrow.  More days out, less reliable, but still helpful
But thats exactly what I said!
If you want to know if it is going to rain, just look out of the window and at the clowds and see it.

Oh, you mean you cannot do what was normal for 80% of people just a century back? Maybe you lack the knowledge then and have to rely on the weather rating of experts...

No, it wasn't sarcasm just a bit of irony.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3795 on: March 24, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
If you want to know if it is going to rain, just look out of the window and at the clowds and see it.

Oh, you mean you cannot do what was normal for 80% of people just a century back? Maybe you lack the knowledge then and have to rely on the weather rating of experts...

It's nice to know if you need to reschedule some outdoor activity several days out. Severe weather warnings are also helpful and are often not obvious hours in advance. Checking the weather report can keep you from getting caught in stuff like that. Also very important for routing/scheduling flights. It's not like the pilot can "see" the weather in a city 1000 miles away.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:48:04 AM by RWD »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3796 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
My MPP: I forgot that new clothes shrink. Between buy nothing group, thrift stores and just *not shopping*, it's been a long time since I've bought anything with long sleeves. I bought a zip up sweatshirt though, and the sleeves shrank =( I don't think it's so bad I'll need to return it, but I totally forgot that shrinking is a thing.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3797 on: March 24, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
My MPP: I forgot that new clothes shrink. Between buy nothing group, thrift stores and just *not shopping*, it's been a long time since I've bought anything with long sleeves. I bought a zip up sweatshirt though, and the sleeves shrank =( I don't think it's so bad I'll need to return it, but I totally forgot that shrinking is a thing.

One of the great benefits of sewing is that you can pre-wash fabric so you know what you make with it will stay the same size. They don't bother in a lot of manufacturing as it saves them time and fabric, but then they are liberal with the "Dry Clean Only" labels where they wouldn't be needed if the fabric was preshrunk.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3798 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »

OK, I don't see how that's exactly what you said, seems the opposite.

And if Morningstar is just summarizing past returns, it's not very useful.  But I could be happy with a rating agency that actually tried to look at the financial capabilities of an ETF/mutual fund issuer and give me a rating.  All things being equal, I'd rather invest in a more liquid ETF run by a reputable firm vs. a highly illiquid ETF that tracks the same index, but does so very poorly because it's run by incompetent fools.  Sure, you can look up that data, but a bad rating could give you a first pass to eliminate funds that suck.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #3799 on: March 25, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
Today I got my paperwork back from the tax accountant.  I am almost ALWAYS within a thousand dollars of paying the correct amount of federal/state income taxes, so the refund or amount I owe is very small. 

But this year I have a problem.  I am apparently getting $5,000 returned to me.  I've been giving our federal government a tax free loan all year, and had no idea!

I believe the cause is finding MMM, and deciding to contribute about $60,000 to tax deferred accounts in 2016, instead of...umm...zero?  That's the most likely explanation I can think of, but I'm not sure how the mathematics of that works, because I don't know how my employer decides to handle withholdings...as a math teacher, this troubles me. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I already have WAY too much of my assets in cash, and now, more cash.  Ughhh.