Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1647756 times)

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4450 on: November 27, 2017, 08:26:20 AM »
We got an offer on our house we are selling in HCOL city (we will be buying a house in Lower COL city). If all goes through with the offer we are looking at a ~180k profit of our house for 3 years of sitting on it. With this news I proclaimed to Mr.HH that I will buy a new chair for our new house, since at the old house I agonized for 3 years over buying/not buying an arm chair for ~$300.

Mr.HH said fine, we can buy a chair if we want, but then realized we have  gift cards from a home decor store from our wedding two years ago, various holidays etc. that we probably have enough to buy a $300 chair.

I CANT EVEN SPEND MY MONEY.

You have permission to buy new curtains, etc for the new house.

Buying brand new curtains is MMM-approved?? In that case I might need to go shopping some time ... We have gifted curtains from my MIL in the kitchen and in the living room we temporarily hung tablecloths on the curtain rods. We have lived here for 2,5 years now and they're still there. All different tablecloths as well....  I always thought this kind of decadent luxury purchase was only for after FI.

In moderation, when you don't have debt. If you can find them used/reuse/make yourself, even better. But if you're making a 180k profit on a house sale, I think $200 for new curtains is ok. ;)

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4451 on: November 27, 2017, 09:07:32 AM »
We normally skip the curtains, and only have cheap blinds on the windows where we need to hide from spying eyes. This house, however, has so bad windows, that heavy drapes were a cheaper option for insulation until we could get the renovations done.

Tldr: curtains can be a cheap substitute for insulation, and save heating/cooling costs.
Travelling to 71° Northern Latitude in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #4452 on: November 27, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
The forums tell me I'm allowed to buy my chair and curtains...what a glorious time to be alive :D

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4453 on: November 27, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
The forums tell me I'm allowed to buy my chair and curtains...what a glorious time to be alive :D

Hold on, you said you weren't going to get the chair? Pick one! Don't go too crazy. ;)

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4454 on: December 02, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
Even a 400 sq ft studio apartment is too big to fill for me, I don't know what furniture to buy so it doesn't look empty.

My savings rate is so high that even after maxing out my 401k and Roth IRA each year, most of my stash (70%) ends up in a taxable account.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4455 on: December 03, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »
Not exactly fun, but I have to replace my tires after only 4.5 years because of dry rot. They had plenty of thread left because of little driving. I guess I should drive more to get my money's worth right? Ha.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4456 on: December 03, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »
Not exactly fun, but I have to replace my tires after only 4.5 years because of dry rot. They had plenty of thread left because of little driving. I guess I should drive more to get my money's worth right? Ha.

Ha ha - my car tyres tend to age out rather than wear out as well!

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4457 on: December 03, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »

Ha ha - my car tyres tend to age out rather than wear out as well!

Unlike my bike tires ... My local bike shop is stunned I need new ones all the time. On average, I replace one tire every six months. As I ride around in the city (lots of broken glass on the streets) as well as on unpaved backroads, they get a lot of wear and tear. I get leaks in the inner tubes all the time too. This is the only part of cycling that I really hate.

never give up

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4458 on: December 03, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
I only found MMM a few months ago but am starting to experience Mustachian people problems. For example I used to look at Santa and think what a guy. But now I think how on earth are you not FIRE’d yet? He’s been doing that gig for years.

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4459 on: December 03, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
My kids (9&11) don't get allowances. Instead, we pay them when they do housework. They then use those money to buy candy and other stuff they want. We pay the kids by transferring money to their accounts, and they use debit cards for their purchases. When they are gifted cash (by grandparents, or at birthdays), they hand me the cash, and I transfer the same amount of money to their account. Usually they earn and are gifted more money then they spend, so they also have savings accounts that are under their control (and mutual funds that are not).

My MPP: We use our bank's budgeting software, so all transactions between accounts and payments out are categorized, including the kids' debit card purchases. As it is now, the kids' "salaries" get counted twice: first when we transfer them from our accounts to their, and secondly when they spend their money. I can't decide which categorization makes more sense. If they didn't "earn" the money, we would have bought them the candy and stuff anyway. So I do want to see how much money we spend on those things in total as a family. But I also feel it is most correct to count "their" money separately. The cash also messes up my budget, since it just ends up sitting in a box in my office, or gets spent on stupid stuff the neighbor's kids sell. Like overpriced toilet paper. And then it looks like our grocery bill is much smaller that month, even though it isn't.

We are only talking about $20-100/month, but it really annoys me!
Travelling to 71° Northern Latitude in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4460 on: December 03, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
[...] We use our bank's budgeting software [...]

You should use some real accounting software with double-entry booking and you inherently won't count something twice. You can properly track your cash and other assets too. I personally use GnuCash.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4461 on: December 03, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »

You should use some real accounting software with double-entry booking and you inherently won't count something twice. You can properly track your cash and other assets too. I personally use GnuCash.

Yes!  Then you will have an asset account called "cash in a box in my office," which will mean your grocery category will show your real spending.  :)
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #4462 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »

Yes!  Then you will have an asset account called "cash in a box in my office," which will mean your grocery category will show your real spending.  :)

Yes, you definitely need to do this! I have asset accounts for gift cards and cash in addition to the bank accounts. I don’t use bookkeeping software, but I have set it up in the same way (the app is called Accounts2 if interested - the info from it can be exported to Excel if desired). I can’t stand how my bank tracks things and strongly prefer the separate system.

It’s entirely possible that I am WAY over the top with my tracking, but I want good info, dammit! ;)
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4463 on: December 04, 2017, 12:00:54 AM »
My MPP is that I feel an inadequate Mustachian for not using any kind of app, software or excel sheet to track my spending. I'm actually a bookkeeper, logging spending is what I do for a living. I just can't make myself do it at home too.

I'm still pretty confident I can tell you the exact amount of money I spend in nearly every category though. I try to spend as little as possible so I don't have to keep track of a large amount of purchases.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4464 on: December 04, 2017, 12:15:48 AM »
Unlike my bike tires ... My local bike shop is stunned I need new ones all the time. On average, I replace one tire every six months. As I ride around in the city (lots of broken glass on the streets) as well as on unpaved backroads, they get a lot of wear and tear. I get leaks in the inner tubes all the time too. This is the only part of cycling that I really hate.

Have you looked into that puncture sealing goo, or reinforced inners? Game changer for me.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4465 on: December 04, 2017, 12:41:13 AM »
My MPP is that I feel an inadequate Mustachian for not using any kind of app, software or excel sheet to track my spending. I'm actually a bookkeeper, logging spending is what I do for a living. I just can't make myself do it at home too.

I'm still pretty confident I can tell you the exact amount of money I spend in nearly every category though. I try to spend as little as possible so I don't have to keep track of a large amount of purchases.

My bank does it for me. At least, it is organizing the transactions as long as they are obviously. The rest is categorized as "general spending". Those are the ones I need to organize manually and as soon as I caught up, it was OK. Maybe you can find another bank that has a free built-in tool for showing your spending? You could start from 2018 and don't organize anything from earlier years...

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4466 on: December 04, 2017, 05:17:27 AM »
I had a similar issue last week.  I use the online bill pay to pay for a house cleaner for my mom's house once a month (beats me doing it!) and one of the checks was never cashed so it came back to me.  Now I have an extra $80 in income in November, and an extra $80 in spending in December in my budget program because of course I sent the cleaner a replacement check for the one that was cancelled.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #4467 on: December 04, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Moved from a HCOL to a MCOL city, sold HCOL house.

Now none of our MCOL friends believe us when we say "this restaurant isn't in our budget".

So many struggles.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4468 on: December 04, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »

Now none of our MCOL friends believe us when we say "this restaurant isn't in our budget".

So many struggles.

Why?  Do they think you are rolling in money because you sold a place in HCOL area?  Or are they just spendy spendy types that only have a little budgeted for long term savings out of their paychecks?

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4469 on: December 04, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and installed a smart thermostat. After the DIY installation it did seem to be blowing a bit cooler than before but chocked it up to needing to warm up a bit (never really paid THAT close attention to the heating). The next day I did some more research and realized I had a setting wrong, resulting in the system blowing both the heat AND A/C over the past 24+ hours (and AUX heat because it was using a feature called Boost to make heating faster)!!

It's all good now but I'm bracing for the electric bill...

ixtap

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4470 on: December 04, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
If you mess up the math and end up setting your payroll deductions to be more than 100% of your post tax pay, your employer might not have the same priorities as you.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4471 on: December 04, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and installed a smart thermostat. After the DIY installation it did seem to be blowing a bit cooler than before but chocked it up to needing to warm up a bit (never really paid THAT close attention to the heating). The next day I did some more research and realized I had a setting wrong, resulting in the system blowing both the heat AND A/C over the past 24+ hours (and AUX heat because it was using a feature called Boost to make heating faster)!!

I made some conservative estimates. If your unit is 5 kwh and you ran it for 24 hours a day at 14 cents a kw that's less than $17. Could be worse! Not sure if this is correct though. Do you mean that it was set to such a specific temperature that both would kick on individually? Or at the same time (which they shouldn't be unless your heat is gas not electric)...

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #4472 on: December 05, 2017, 12:35:03 AM »
I had a similar issue last week.  I use the online bill pay to pay for a house cleaner for my mom's house once a month (beats me doing it!) and one of the checks was never cashed so it came back to me.  Now I have an extra $80 in income in November, and an extra $80 in spending in December in my budget program because of course I sent the cleaner a replacement check for the one that was cancelled.
In YNAB I would just budget the extra “income” as a negative expense and let the money roll over to next month where it is spent again. This way all income and spending statistics are correct.

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4473 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:01 AM »

I hoped you checked with your electric company first.  I didn't DYI my eccobee, my gas company came out and put one in for "free."  (I say in quotes because I guess I paid for it as part of my fees for the past 5 years).  I had the energy audit done that was offered, I got a smart thermostat and 2 low flow shower heads out of it.  On the other side of the state where the gas company provides electric as well they also give our lightbulbs.

justchristine

• Bristles
« Reply #4474 on: December 05, 2017, 06:04:18 AM »
About 2 years ago I started adding regularly to my after tax Vanguard account.  I originally didn't have enough funds to by the funds I wanted in the allocation I wanted so I dumped it into a Target date fund for what was supposed to be a short amount of time until I had enough for fund minimums of the portfolio I really wanted.  Then life happened, my savings rate increased, the market boomed and I forgot to redistribute to the desired funds.  This weekend I was revisiting my asset allocation and realized that I had totally neglected this account which is now >100K.  Rejiggering everything to be in alignment with the rest of my portfolio is costing me about $1800 in capital gains tax.  oops.  Is it wrong that I'm hoping the next market correction happens before Dec 31 so I can to some tax loss harvesting from my other taxable account to cover the gains in this one?  #firstworldproblems

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4475 on: December 05, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »

I made some conservative estimates. If your unit is 5 kwh and you ran it for 24 hours a day at 14 cents a kw that's less than $17. Could be worse! Not sure if this is correct though. Do you mean that it was set to such a specific temperature that both would kick on individually? Or at the same time (which they shouldn't be unless your heat is gas not electric)...

It was set up so the outside A/C unit was considered a heat pump where it is simply a stand-alone A/C unit. So while it was ramping up to the temperature setpoint both the heat and A/C units were both on at the same time I think.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #4476 on: December 05, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »

So many struggles.

Why?  Do they think you are rolling in money because you sold a place in HCOL area?  Or are they just spendy spendy types that only have a little budgeted for long term savings out of their paychecks?

They think we are rolling in money....which isn't wrong :P.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4477 on: December 05, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
I always bring lunch to work. However, there's often some food available in the coffee room or at the hospital canteen downstairs. So regularly, I end up not eating my brought lunch. This week, it's happened two days in a row and now I don't think I can leave it another day so have to eat it for dinner. While I planned on cooking something else for dinner, buhu :(

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #4478 on: December 05, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »

So many struggles.

They think we are rolling in money....which isn't wrong :P.

Ordinary people that know thrifty folks roll in money tend to forget how the situation came to be in the first place - that we DON'T spend money on bullshit.
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4479 on: December 05, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
I always bring lunch to work. However, there's often some food available in the coffee room or at the hospital canteen downstairs. So regularly, I end up not eating my brought lunch. This week, it's happened two days in a row and now I don't think I can leave it another day so have to eat it for dinner. While I planned on cooking something else for dinner, buhu :(

Yeah, food waste is bad! I had the world's worst dinner last night because I couldn't bear to throw food away. I threw together some kind of pasta + veg with an improvised sauce, and I accidentally massively oversalted it. I ended up actually putting it all in a strainer and running water over it to wash off the oversalted sauce, and then eating it like that. :-|
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4480 on: December 05, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
Currently eating leftovers I really, really don't want because my husband forgot his cooler of food this week when he left for Grad School Land. By the time I got home last night, the frozen leftover Mexican dip that he likes at least 10X more than I do was still icy cold, but unfrozen. I figure I'd better eat it. Fortunately, I found some leftover cornbread in the freezer which makes it taste much better to me than eating it with the chips he likes.

I'm also attempting to eat up his salads and mine this week, but since they're spinach, I may just cook with them instead.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4481 on: December 05, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
Ordinary people that know thrifty folks roll in money tend to forget how the situation came to be in the first place - that we DON'T spend money on bullshit.

"Why do you keep dieting / working out, your body is already great! If I had a body like yours, I'd indulge in junk food and take a break from working out right away!"
- Well, that explains why you don't...

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4482 on: December 05, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »

"Why do you keep dieting / working out, your body is already great! If I had a body like yours, I'd indulge in junk food and take a break from working out right away!"
- Well, that explains why you don't...

Yes!! If people don't see a big change, like clawing your way out of debt or losing 100 pounds, they assume that you've always been the way you are just by chance/luck/good genes, without any effort on your part. Although I'm very, very happy for anyone who has made a huge positive change in their life, it's frustrating that no one wants to listen to someone like me, who has been plugging away with boring good habits and therefore never had any need for a huge positive change. (That sounds horribly arrogant, and of course I don't mean to imply that I'm perfect. Just that I'm more of a tortoise than a hare, and people seem to like the drama of the hare.)

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4483 on: December 05, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
People keep buying me drinks when I go out with groups (eg. coworker today at pub) and I never ever pay them back because they dive in to buy the first round every time and all I want is a single Diet Coke and I'm good for the whole night, while they get through several beers. They don't seem to mind (obviously I'm a cheap date!), but I find it very awkward. I'd rather just buy my own drinks but insisting would be even more awkward.

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4484 on: December 05, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
We were on a road trip last week, and I accidentally grabbed a medium coffee cup at the convenience store instead of the small coffee cup I wanted. (Seemed like they purposefully placed the smalls and mediums apart from each other so people would make this mistake.) The mistake cost me 20 cents, and I became irrationally angry with myself. In fact, I am still bitter.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4485 on: December 05, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
In YNAB I would just budget the extra “income” as a negative expense and let the money roll over to next month where it is spent again. This way all income and spending statistics are correct.
Doh!  Thank you, I changed this and it's all better now!  I use YNAB, never thought of doing that before, but it works!

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4486 on: December 06, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
People keep buying me drinks when I go out with groups (eg. coworker today at pub) and I never ever pay them back because they dive in to buy the first round every time and all I want is a single Diet Coke and I'm good for the whole night, while they get through several beers. They don't seem to mind (obviously I'm a cheap date!), but I find it very awkward. I'd rather just buy my own drinks but insisting would be even more awkward.

Familiar one. I'm not unwilling to pay someone a drink, but they just always seem to want them sooner/more frequently than  me.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4487 on: December 08, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »

Familiar one. I'm not unwilling to pay someone a drink, but they just always seem to want them sooner/more frequently than  me.

Yes, this sounds familiar. Some people are always paying the first round, often for a pretty big group. For me, the number of rounds should not equal the number of people. So I am reluctant paying a round for the whole group (in Norway alcoholic drinks are really expensive). I would much rather pay for my own stuff and leave it there. But declining a round from someone is also impolite.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4488 on: December 14, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »

Yes, this sounds familiar. Some people are always paying the first round, often for a pretty big group. For me, the number of rounds should not equal the number of people. So I am reluctant paying a round for the whole group (in Norway alcoholic drinks are really expensive). I would much rather pay for my own stuff and leave it there. But declining a round from someone is also impolite.

This is me too! With close friends, I'm just the weirdo who never wants a drink. They don't mind anymore. We don't go out in large groups, so the cost is not a problem, it's just that I don't drink and once I've finished a soft drink I don't need another one for at least the next hour. I could accept the drinks and just hold them in my hand for a long time but that's really annoying.

ixtap

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4489 on: December 14, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »

This is me too! With close friends, I'm just the weirdo who never wants a drink. They don't mind anymore. We don't go out in large groups, so the cost is not a problem, it's just that I don't drink and once I've finished a soft drink I don't need another one for at least the next hour. I could accept the drinks and just hold them in my hand for a long time but that's really annoying.

I did that in college. Played drinking games with a can of beer. Everyone else was too drunk to notice that it was the same can of beer all night, and I knew never to hang out with that group again.

A colleague and a client just finished a rant about people who don't drink, and how sad it is to toast with a soft drink.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4490 on: December 14, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
A colleague and a client just finished a rant about people who don't drink, and how sad it is to toast with a soft drink.

I wonder what they would think about all the times I've toasted with a glass of tap water. :-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4491 on: December 14, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »

I wonder what they would think about all the times I've toasted with a glass of tap water. :-)

Someone insisted on handing me a glass of champagne to toast at my own wedding. I drink, but not champagne - they wouldn't "let me" toast with whatever I had in my hand. I was young. If it happened now I'd tell them to piss off (actually don't remember who it was but I'm betting it was one of my in-laws).

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4492 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:10 PM »
Someone insisted on handing me a glass of champagne to toast at my own wedding. I drink, but not champagne - they wouldn't "let me" toast with whatever I had in my hand. I was young. If it happened now I'd tell them to piss off (actually don't remember who it was but I'm betting it was one of my in-laws).

Ginger ale in a champagne flute is a pretty good fake if you're ever in a weird situation like that. I did that for my then-boyfriend at the millennium since we were at a big ol' fancy party with an open bar, and everyone was doing a big toast, and he was a little bummed he couldn't share in the moment. So I downed a glass of champagne (the sacrifices we make...) and poured some of his ginger ale in the empty flute, and no one could tell the difference but him :-)
Referrals for...

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4493 on: December 15, 2017, 12:05:07 AM »

Haha, I feel you. I've even had friends blaming me for drinking tap water over soft drinks because it's 'boring'. I didn't understand how I would get more fun with sugared, colored and fizzly water compared to just plain water.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4494 on: December 15, 2017, 01:16:55 AM »

Haha, I feel you. I've even had friends blaming me for drinking tap water over soft drinks because it's 'boring'. I didn't understand how I would get more fun with sugared, colored and fizzly water compared to just plain water.
The fun comes from the frenzy action your body jumps in to not get poisened by all that stuff. That makes you high.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4495 on: December 15, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »

The fun comes from the frenzy action your body jumps in to not get poisened by all that stuff. That makes you high.

I like a soft drink rather than tap water when I go out. We don't keep them in the house, so it is a rare treat. But I don't understand why other people CARE so much. I'll drink my drink and you drink yours. I don't make a fuss about you drinking half a bottle of wine, why are you making a fuss about ne drinking a Diet Coke?

ETA: it's come up a lot lately because I'm pregnant. My actual friends a) have got used to me by now and b) are friends and not jerks. But when I meet someone new and they notice I'm not drinking they often go off on one about how HARD it must be to not drink while pregnant but not to worry, I'll be toasting the new baby soon! So I just casually say "Oh not really, I don't usually drink at all". Cue anger and confusion. And intense CARING about my taste preferences.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:55:26 AM by shelivesthedream »

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4496 on: December 15, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
1.  Looks at HSA, realizes is short by about $200 to maxing it out.
2.  Schedules payment
3.  Looks again, realizes that the December pass though has not transacted from employer.
4.  Has to go modify maxing out transaction so as not to be $62.50 over.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4497 on: December 15, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
We were on a road trip last week, and I accidentally grabbed a medium coffee cup at the convenience store instead of the small coffee cup I wanted. (Seemed like they purposefully placed the smalls and mediums apart from each other so people would make this mistake.) The mistake cost me 20 cents, and I became irrationally angry with myself. In fact, I am still bitter.
Bitter like the coffee? Hope you're over the pain now.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4498 on: December 16, 2017, 06:33:18 AM »
Yesterday we went to a concert. It is winter here so we had to wear warm winter jackets outside. The wardrobe in the concert hall wanted 5 dollars for each coat. So DH and I kept our coats with us, as did a grwat number of people. It was quite uncomfortable having to use a hand around my winter jacket for hours. Giving applause for the very nice concert was difficult.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #4499 on: December 17, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »
Linda, have you tried draping your coat on your seat and then sitting on it? If you have a very long coat, you might have to fold the bottom up on to the seat so that the hem doesn't get dirty from the floor, but I find that sitting on coats to be less warm than holding them in laps. If you have a very short person in your group, you can also make a booster-seat bundle with them (I do this with my miniscule grandmother).
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins