Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 839662 times)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2150 on: October 26, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
When you see that that thing you wanted for a while is 50% off, but you STILL know it's a luxury you don't need.

Yup! But more $$$$$ saved is a great thing:)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2151 on: October 26, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
When you don't spend nearly enough money a month to hit the really good credit card signup bonuses, so you have to figure out how to game the system to pay rent/student loans via credit card just to get close.

Yep. Spent the weekend plotting to put tuition and property taxes on a card myself.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #2152 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
I have a decent discount at a couple different gas stations to use, but no room in my tank because I only drove 26 miles this month, the rest I biked.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2153 on: October 27, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
I have a decent discount at a couple different gas stations to use, but no room in my tank because I only drove 26 miles this month, the rest I biked.

I had a similar problem in September. My Chase Freedom credit card gave me 5% on gas for the months July through September. Between moving in early August and the end of September I think we had driven less than 100 miles between two cars. So I filled up one car for about $10 just so that the transaction would fall in September.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #2154 on: October 27, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
I only pay 75 cents a gallon and I can't get any further discounts... :(
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #2155 on: October 27, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
My gas loyalty card is always offering bonus points if I fill up with at least 25L by a certain date.  The offer always expires before I need that much gas.

DaMa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2156 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
When you can't find a used copy of the book you want and sixteen people have reserved it ahead of you at the library so you buy a new copy.
Buy 2, donate one to the library

A more Mustachian approach:  Buy one, read it, then donate it to the library.

Don't do that. They'll just sell it at the book sale for a dollar or two.

At least in my library system, we order our books from vendors pre-processed (with the stickers already on, pre-cataloged, etc.). The staff time to process donations to add the collection is more than it would cost us to buy a whole new pre-processed copy. Unless you are donating something that is in high demand and super-rare (the thing that comes to mind is Aladdin on DVD... our copies all wore out, we can't buy new ones, and now we have 300-some holds on our last 2 copies), don't expect the library to keep it.

Get on the hold list and wait your damn turn :-). It'll come eventually!

I volunteered to go through the donations and catalog them after I found out my library doesn't shelve donations.  The librarian said it would take too long to train me.   I gave her a short list of my qualifications (math degree, work on computer, read all the biographies in elementary school library).  No, she couldn't take the time, because I might not show up afterward.  Right.  Because I haven't been there once or more every month for 30+ years.

DaMa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2157 on: October 28, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Re: books and the library

I kind of have the opposite "problem". There is this book series that I love, and everytime a new book comes out (every 1-2 years), I go to the library and re-borrow the entire series. To the point that I recognize half the stamps on the library book card to,  be mine.

I'd like to think that not enough people are reading the series. #too cheap to buy books

Did you know they get rid of books based on how rarely they are borrowed?  Keep reading them, or they won't be there.  I used to borrow Light a Single Candle about once a year.  Then it wasn't there, and the librarian said they get rid of books if they haven't been borrowed in over 12 months. 

So I had to go buy it.  Used, of course, at half.com.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2158 on: October 31, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
I just signed a lease on a new place 2 miles closer to work, and within walking distance. I still have $70 stored value on my bus pass that I won't really have a need to use once I move, left from the last time I put money on the card.

At least it doesn't expire so I can potentially use it for other trips throughout the city.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2159 on: October 31, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »
Spent 30 minutes this morning decanting all the tiny bottles of hotel lotion from the past year's travels (some business, some pleasure) into one big bottle because the tiny bottle clutter was driving me nuts.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2160 on: October 31, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »
I just signed a lease on a new place 2 miles closer to work, and within walking distance. I still have $70 stored value on my bus pass that I won't really have a need to use once I move, left from the last time I put money on the card.

At least it doesn't expire so I can potentially use it for other trips throughout the city.

Yes. Whenever something like that happens I always regret the money "lost".
However, its a small price to pay I suppose. By not driving you're saving . plus, at some point you or someone close to you might use up the pass? Or a thought, do they do refunds?

pdxmonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2161 on: October 31, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
I don't think I have a credit score either, for the same reason. In the last two years, I've paid cash for a car and two houses. But my biggest problem is that my "walking around" money in my wallet keeps accumulating, because I just don't spend it. So my wallet will not stay closed in my purse. It's annoying.

Haha, yessss. I need to get to the bank soon because all my cash won't fit in my wallet.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2162 on: October 31, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »
I don't think I have a credit score either, for the same reason. In the last two years, I've paid cash for a car and two houses. But my biggest problem is that my "walking around" money in my wallet keeps accumulating, because I just don't spend it. So my wallet will not stay closed in my purse. It's annoying.

Haha, yessss. I need to get to the bank soon because all my cash won't fit in my wallet.

Yesss!

This has got to be the best Mustachian People Problem.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2163 on: November 01, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »

However, its a small price to pay I suppose. By not driving you're saving . plus, at some point you or someone close to you might use up the pass? Or a thought, do they do refunds?

Similar for me -- I have a parking card that recharges $50 at a time, but I use it very rarely as I ride my bike to the train.   So I know I will inevitably end up with $50 sitting in my account indefinitely.  I can probably get a check if I close the account, but it seems like a real pain.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2164 on: November 02, 2015, 06:26:39 AM »

Similar for me -- I have a parking card that recharges $50 at a time, but I use it very rarely as I ride my bike to the train.   So I know I will inevitably end up with $50 sitting in my account indefinitely.  I can probably get a check if I close the account, but it seems like a real pain.

This is a Los Angeles Metro TAP card, and they don't do refunds as far as I know, but it might come in handy for trips downtown to the museums, and my company pays 75 percent anyway, so it is only about $17 that I came up with.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2165 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

This is a Los Angeles Metro TAP card, and they don't do refunds as far as I know, but it might come in handy for trips downtown to the museums, and my company pays 75 percent anyway, so it is only about $17 that I came up with.

Nice! Sounds good to me

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2166 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »
MPP: I have a "fun money" account for spending that doesn't really fit in my budget. Only between some medical expenses and a vacation, I've overspent it and now have a note to myself that my fun money account owes my checking account $1200. I felt so bad about this, I had to a section to my budget spreadsheet showing my savings YTD. The amount I owe myself is insignificant compared to the savings, and I owe it to *myself*, but I still feel a little bad.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #2167 on: November 03, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
MPP: I have a "fun money" account for spending that doesn't really fit in my budget. Only between some medical expenses and a vacation, I've overspent it and now have a note to myself that my fun money account owes my checking account $1200. I felt so bad about this, I had to a section to my budget spreadsheet showing my savings YTD. The amount I owe myself is insignificant compared to the savings, and I owe it to *myself*, but I still feel a little bad.

You classify your medical expenses under "fun money?!?"  Wow, you are taking frugality to a whole new level...

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #2168 on: November 03, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »

You classify your medical expenses under "fun money?!?"  Wow, you are taking frugality to a whole new level...

I'm guessing OP had a large medical expense that didn't fit in the budget and took from the fun money to pay the bill. But, perhaps you realize this and were just being funny.....  It's so hard to tell on the internet......
Refinance your student loans with my SoFi referral and get $100: https://www.sofi.com/refer/5/18373

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2169 on: November 03, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
When I buy a bike trailer so my car can collect dust - and I still feel a bit bad about spending the money.
“Except when awesome is just awesome, because sometimes it is.” - Scrubby

Journal = My life is an exploding volcano of awesomeness

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 40, and FI by 50.  Required SR:  65%.  SR goal for monthly income: 50% (Extra paychecks and other compensation makes up the other 15%).

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2170 on: November 03, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »

I'm guessing OP had a large medical expense that didn't fit in the budget and took from the fun money to pay the bill. But, perhaps you realize this and were just being funny.....  It's so hard to tell on the internet......

Honestly, I just thought that merula had really good times!!
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2171 on: November 04, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »

"Fun money" is in quotes because it's mostly stuff for fun but also things that just don't fit in the budget. Like medical expenses beyond the FSA limit, home repairs, etc. Basically what normal people would use their emergency fund for.

Yes, exactly.

Honestly, I just thought that merula had really good times!!

That would be a better story.

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #2172 on: November 12, 2015, 11:10:11 AM »
Had this one just happen to me. I brought my lunch to work (as always) and on the way to the microwaves, stopped to use the restroom. When I came out my lunch was gone! Found it moments later tossed in an open trash can! Apparently using an empty breadbag has its risks ; )

DividendMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Money
« Reply #2173 on: November 12, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
I haven’t posted much, so not sure if this is in the right place, but thought I’d drop it in here.

Built a new house a couple of years ago and the builder had a deal with a local credit union that would pay all of the legal costs of closing on any new house built by that builder if you took out a mortgage with them.

They  also had a promotion to give 50,000 credit card points if you opened a mortgage over $300,000 and signed up for one of their credit cards.

I took out an open variable rate mortgage for $300,000 & signed up for the credit card. As soon as the legal bill was paid and the points were credited to my credit card account, I went in and paid off the mortgage. I still remember the look on the teller’s face when I handed her the draft for $300,000 and told her I wanted to close the mortgage.

The next month, I used the credit card points to buy a $50 Walmart gift card and then canceled the credit card.

Savings of ~$3000 in legal fees.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2174 on: November 12, 2015, 01:35:14 PM »
I budgeted $8,000 to buy a new piano.  Spent a lot of time at piano store figuring out exactly what I wanted. Yesterday during a another research trip found exactly the piano I wanted used and with a cosmetic issue for $1700.  Now what shall I do with all that leftover money?

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2175 on: November 12, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »
I budgeted $8,000 to buy a new piano.  Spent a lot of time at piano store figuring out exactly what I wanted. Yesterday during a another research trip found exactly the piano I wanted used and with a cosmetic issue for $1700.  Now what shall I do with all that leftover money?

http://www.charitywater.org/about/

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2176 on: November 12, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »

I thought that pianos were something that people would be desperate to get rid of, but couldn't because they're so huge so they'd practically give them away if you pick them up. Am I wrong?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2177 on: November 12, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
I thought that pianos were something that people would be desperate to get rid of, but couldn't because they're so huge so they'd practically give them away if you pick them up. Am I wrong?
Home quality ones that your great aunt had - yes.
High quality professional musical instruments - probably still yes !

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2178 on: November 12, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »
I haven’t posted much, so not sure if this is in the right place, but thought I’d drop it in here.

Built a new house a couple of years ago and the builder had a deal with a local credit union that would pay all of the legal costs of closing on any new house built by that builder if you took out a mortgage with them.

They  also had a promotion to give 50,000 credit card points if you opened a mortgage over $300,000 and signed up for one of their credit cards.

I took out an open variable rate mortgage for $300,000 & signed up for the credit card. As soon as the legal bill was paid and the points were credited to my credit card account, I went in and paid off the mortgage. I still remember the look on the teller’s face when I handed her the draft for $300,000 and told her I wanted to close the mortgage.

The next month, I used the credit card points to buy a $50 Walmart gift card and then canceled the credit card.

Savings of ~$3000 in legal fees.

Agreed, I wouldn't call that a problem! But its a very impressive way to work the system. Really.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2179 on: November 12, 2015, 11:32:59 PM »
Had this one just happen to me. I brought my lunch to work (as always) and on the way to the microwaves, stopped to use the restroom. When I came out my lunch was gone! Found it moments later tossed in an open trash can! Apparently using an empty breadbag has its risks ; )
Ha! I've gotten so much grief for that. It's the last two slices in the loaf, why not just use the bag!

On a different note,
I received a refund of about $700 back to a credit card around Oct 1. Rather than request a check, I figured I would just use that card as my principle payment for groceries, restaurants and discretionary spending. Still have 370 lil soldiers not working for me.

Also, I turn down those spend $500/$1000/$1500 in 30/60/90 days to get the CC bonuses because I can't spend enough.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:37:29 PM by JZinCO »
Please consider supporting injured or fallen wildland firefighters and their families

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2180 on: November 13, 2015, 01:43:12 AM »

I always use an empty breadbag!  Even for other stuff, like bringing fruit or snack tomatoes or something. This never happened to me, phew! :)

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2181 on: November 13, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »
Also, I turn down those spend $500/$1000/$1500 in 30/60/90 days to get the CC bonuses because I can't spend enough.
Here in germany there are no big bonuses - at least for cards without yearly costs.
But I had to pay nearly 1000€ with only CC as option, so I tried it with the only I could find with 25€ signup bonus after 500€. 
But they didnt wanted me. I dont fell into their credit rules. Low income, no credit at all, not even a used dispo (overdraft?), nothing a sucka consumer has.
Be responsible with your money and you aren't wanted, throw it away and you get offers for cards thrown at you O.o

Anyway, I now did have to use my new debit/maestro card from my new bank account I got just this week. That combi card is really nice, pay with debit or credit card (if used as CC money is still deducted immediately from bank acount) and get money at ATM without costs in the EURO region.
But the best is that this card not only doesn't cost anything, but you get paid 2€ a month if you dont use it to get money at the ATM.
Since I have to transfer the sum I need cash to a second account each month anyway to keep that one without costs, thats practically free 24€ a year for having a super versatile card in emergencies.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2182 on: November 13, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
But they didnt wanted me. I dont fell into their credit rules. Low income, no credit at all, not even a used dispo (overdraft?), nothing a sucka consumer has.
Be responsible with your money and you aren't wanted, throw it away and you get offers for cards thrown at you O.o

Charging fees and penalties to the foolish is a good portion of the profit to be made in the credit card business.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2183 on: November 13, 2015, 09:44:11 AM »
Home quality ones that your great aunt had - yes.
High quality professional musical instruments - probably still yes !

You are both right.  My first piano was a freebie and it was good enough to get a start on.  Now that I am far enough along to benefit from the pulling power that making a glorious sound has on the amount of practice I do I have to pay. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2184 on: November 13, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »

Charging fees and penalties to the foolish is a good portion of the profit to be made in the credit card business.

And so much from interest and minimum payments as well. It is said for U.S, if everyone paid off their debt our economy would collapse. Pitiful.
But then things would be changing for the better, as MMM wrote in an article on the worries of some regarding the issue if Mustachianism becoming widespread.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2185 on: November 14, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »

And so much from interest and minimum payments as well. It is said for U.S, if everyone paid off their debt our economy would collapse. Pitiful.
But then things would be changing for the better, as MMM wrote in an article on the worries of some regarding the issue if Mustachianism becoming widespread.

There's not enough money to pay off all the debt. It's also how fiat money works, which is why some debt is necessary--the economy would collapse if there was no money

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2186 on: November 14, 2015, 11:13:06 PM »

There's not enough money to pay off all the debt. It's also how fiat money works, which is why some debt is necessary--the economy would collapse if there was no money

Exactly.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2187 on: November 14, 2015, 11:17:13 PM »
Sheet music.

LOL

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2188 on: November 14, 2015, 11:18:21 PM »

Sheet music.

LOL -- JK, in reality that is sheet music and a filing cabinet.....    (those that play know what I mean)

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2189 on: November 15, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »
My 3 year old regularly begs to go to Goodwill, because he knows that's basically the only store where I will buy him toys. Last time, he got a special cup to drink hot cocoa, and the time before that a bath boat. He doesn't know I spent less than $1 for each.

The real problem comes when I don't buy him the thing he wants, and he becomes fixated on it, because it's not like I can go back later and get it.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2190 on: November 15, 2015, 07:57:13 AM »
I had to turn on the heat today.  Not because I'm too cold, but because I'm having friends over.
“Except when awesome is just awesome, because sometimes it is.” - Scrubby

Journal = My life is an exploding volcano of awesomeness

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 40, and FI by 50.  Required SR:  65%.  SR goal for monthly income: 50% (Extra paychecks and other compensation makes up the other 15%).

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2191 on: November 15, 2015, 08:46:29 AM »
   My husband chided me that heat was only for company, because that's the only time I let it go above 63.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2192 on: November 15, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
I had to turn on the heat today.  Not because I'm too cold, but because I'm having friends over.
I can so relate to this.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2193 on: November 15, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »

Sheet music.

LOL -- JK, in reality that is sheet music and a filing cabinet.....    (those that play know what I mean)

I stopped at the thrift store and picked up eight used books of sheet music for first and second year beginners.  Then I stopped at  another thrift store and bough a set of shelves for $10.  Have now spent $18.  Have now spent $1,718/$8,000.  Now what?  By the way, I hate that 10 yr. old boy who plays The Miniature Waltz on the internet.  It makes me feel completely inferior.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #2194 on: November 15, 2015, 02:58:39 PM »
   My husband chided me that heat was only for company, because that's the only time I let it go above 63.

I programmed the thermostat to 65 during the day and 63 at night. I don't think my husband has figured out how to change the programming... but he HAS figured out the override feature. Boo. The last few days he's kept it warmer on the grounds that our son is sick and he doesn't want him to get too cold. We put a steam vaporizer in his room and it's the warmest in the house, but whatever, I guess. Considering I'm the only one in this family who seems to actually feel cold, it seems to me that if I'm willing to suffer, everyone else should be fine; they're all running around in shirtsleeves when I'm wearing 3 shirts and leggings under my jeans.

DesireeD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2195 on: November 15, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
I go around saying things like, " heat the body, not the room. Zip up your sweatshirt. Adaption to cold is good for your immune system, and where's that wool hat I got you?"

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2196 on: November 15, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »
I can so relate to this.

I can relate to this- but a slightly different scenario. At work everyone's so cold even in their coats, so they want heat. I'm always warm, so I wear tank tops or tube tops all year round. They think I'm crazy. Ive also been walking to work recently, so by the time I get to work I am hot! :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2197 on: November 16, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »

The other day I put a beaten egg on top of a chicken pie to make the pastry all lovely and glossy. My husband asked, "Are we having company?!".

I hadn't realised he noticed I usually only break out an egg for guests, for us I usually just use milk!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2198 on: November 16, 2015, 07:08:13 AM »
The problem with not living paycheque to paycheque (or in my case monthly penion payment to pension payment) is that I am slow to cash expense cheques, and the treasurers of my various groups end up emailing me to please cash the cheques so they can balance the books.

Seriously, I am off to the bank this morning, to deposit a cheque I have had for at least 3 weeks.  The last one I had for at least 5.  Cheque deposits are one of the few things I actually do at the bank, and I do them so rarely that I have to plan the trip to the bank.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2199 on: November 16, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
The problem with not living paycheque to paycheque (or in my case monthly penion payment to pension payment) is that I am slow to cash expense cheques, and the treasurers of my various groups end up emailing me to please cash the cheques so they can balance the books.

Seriously, I am off to the bank this morning, to deposit a cheque I have had for at least 3 weeks.  The last one I had for at least 5.  Cheque deposits are one of the few things I actually do at the bank, and I do them so rarely that I have to plan the trip to the bank.

Does your bank not offer mobile deposits?
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.