Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5087064 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1550 on: July 13, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »
Around here "guys" has become gender-neutral, I say it all the time to both sexes.

I personally don't mind being addressed in a group as "guys" as much as I mind being addressed singularly as "him".  Because guys is commonly used to mean "group of people"  -  "Hey guys, we are going to the movies".  (Though I prefer y'all, because it IS actually gender neutral, and therefore does less to reinforce male dominant gender order.)

But I've never seen a situation where "his" is meant to refer to a singular female.

It is indeed common to refer to a person of unknown gender as "him".  Have you ever been on the Internet?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1551 on: July 13, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »
It is indeed common to refer to a person of unknown gender as "him".  Have you ever been on the Internet?

I have, and I find it to be rude and presumptuous.  Really, THIS is the only forum on the internet where I am routinely referred to as male.  None of the other ones I participate in do that, and I play on a lot of internet forums. 

On one board many posters have a bad habit of referring to people as "she", which I think is equally rude- as men are a minority on that board and it further minimizes their presence, but most of the boards I participate in people go out of their way to be gender neutral unless you know the poster.    (And it isn't that hard to learn who common posters are.)

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1552 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:28 AM »
Mustachian problem:  Looking in my cupboard a few days ago and realizing I have loads of dry beans because they're a good cheap source of protein lol.   Also whining carrying my heavy change jars to the bank to empty them just to fill them again.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1553 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Exactly, guys is now a gender-neutral group.  Single person? The language is not good at dealing with unknown gender.  Of course back when the language was developing and communication was face-to-face this wasn't an issue.  Technology people problems  ;-)

Around here "guys" has become gender-neutral, I say it all the time to both sexes.

I personally don't mind being addressed in a group as "guys" as much as I mind being addressed singularly as "him".  Because guys is commonly used to mean "group of people"  -  "Hey guys, we are going to the movies".  (Though I prefer y'all, because it IS actually gender neutral, and therefore does less to reinforce male dominant gender order.)

But I've never seen a situation where "his" is meant to refer to a singular female.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1554 on: July 13, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
Exactly, guys is now a gender-neutral group.  Single person? The language is not good at dealing with unknown gender.  Of course back when the language was developing and communication was face-to-face this wasn't an issue.  Technology people problems  ;-)

More that technology is changing faster than language is. By the time some kind of answer is decided upon, there will be new problems language is not yet equipped to handle. I mean, it's only been ~ 1 generation (20 years) since the Internet became what it has. Language doesn't change that quickly.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1555 on: July 13, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
Can we PLEASE stop the gender terms discussion and go back to the original thread? I used to enjoy clicking into this thread, but not so much lately... Maybe start a separate off-topic thread to continue the discussion?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1556 on: July 13, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »

More that technology is changing faster than language is. By the time some kind of answer is decided upon, there will be new problems language is not yet equipped to handle. I mean, it's only been ~ 1 generation (20 years) since the Internet became what it has. Language doesn't change that quickly.

I've been told to use 'ze' and 'hir'. I don't know if those terms will become common knowledge eventually or not, but you are right, change happens slowly.

However, I think in English there are not so many words to change. What happens in other languages that have many more gender differences, like Spanish. Many more words change based on one's gender in those languages than he/she, her/him, hers/his, husband/wife, etc.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #1557 on: July 13, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
Yes - If you are OK with blatant discrimination against any artificial intelligences that have saved enough from a career in HFT and are now retired to a nice LCO data center in the mid west and like to post on MMM

Wait, is the Daemon on this board?! Man, I'd love to meet... um... it? ...Them?

I personally don't mind being addressed in a group as "guys" as much as I mind being addressed singularly as "him".

But that's one of the cases where there are widely known, non-awkward alternatives. "Folks" usually works well, or "everybody", or something along those lines.

OK, /foam.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1558 on: July 13, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
I can't do the Marie Kondo recommendation of vertically stacking my Tshirts in the drawer because I own so few of them.

+1

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1559 on: July 13, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
So, one Mustachian People Problem (just for fun) is: Since we do not specify our gender when posting, we must give no indication of gender in our sentance structure or imply superiority of either gender. Using "he/she" is out because, listed either way, it implies a primary and secondary. Therefore, all references must either refer to the specific name of the referenced individual or use non gender descriptives such as "one could do this" or "the previous poster may do that." So, does that sound ok to you guys?

"their" can be third person singular and is OK in this situation.

Yes - If you are OK with blatant discrimination against any artificial intelligences that have saved enough from a career in HFT and are now retired to a nice LCO data center in the mid west and like to post on MMM

"their" is non offensive to advanced AIs too.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #1560 on: July 13, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »

Back on the 3d, this actually ruined my Sunday afternoon:
Getting out of home for a walk in the parc, stopping by the thrift store because it's moving season, finging awesome, almost-new, oh-so-cheap stuff, and realizing at the check-out that you don't have any money, because why would you take the wallet with you if you're not going for groceries?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1561 on: July 13, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
So, one Mustachian People Problem (just for fun) is: Since we do not specify our gender when posting, we must give no indication of gender in our sentance structure or imply superiority of either gender. Using "he/she" is out because, listed either way, it implies a primary and secondary. Therefore, all references must either refer to the specific name of the referenced individual or use non gender descriptives such as "one could do this" or "the previous poster may do that." So, does that sound ok to you guys?

"their" can be third person singular and is OK in this situation.

"their" is non offensive to advanced AIs too.

Their is offensive to single-person entities because it assumes a hive mind, or at least perpetuates the dominance of corporate entities worldwide

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #1562 on: July 13, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Tax-free weekend coming up in  few weeks, but I cannot think of anything I want to buy. Oh well, can't take advantage of this.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1563 on: July 13, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
I spent several minutes trying to figure out if Prime day was 2am on July 35th or something before the person who asked me if I had any plans for it filled me in that it was about Amazon Prime.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1564 on: July 13, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
Tax-free weekend coming up in  few weeks, but I cannot think of anything I want to buy. Oh well, can't take advantage of this.

I've never thought tax-free weekend is worth it.  Even when I had stuff to buy, I'd rather pay the taxes than fight the crowds.  The state is going to get them out of me somehow.

It's not really a "problem" but my husband and I went out to dinner this weekend.  We were trying to remember the last time we did, and it was last October.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1565 on: July 13, 2015, 05:51:49 PM »
Mustachian problem:
I went to a mustachian meetup on Saturday downtown and since I live in the suburbs, the bus only comes once an hour. So instead of taking the 10 dollar taxi, I waited 45 minutes for the bus from the metro when I was going home.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1566 on: July 13, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »

I've never thought tax-free weekend is worth it.  Even when I had stuff to buy, I'd rather pay the taxes than fight the crowds.  The state is going to get them out of me somehow.

It's not really a "problem" but my husband and I went out to dinner this weekend.  We were trying to remember the last time we did, and it was last October.

"Tax free day" is just a gift to retailers. They know that more people will be coming out to shop and will be buying those particular items, so they either just 1) increase the price of those items by the amount of the tax, 2) increase the price of other items to capture that extra money from you, or 3) both.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #1567 on: July 13, 2015, 07:36:57 PM »
I have a $5 coupon to a local grocery store that expires in 2 weeks. I've been sitting on it for a month because I can't come up with $5 worth of stuff that's a good price all at once. I have this argument with my husband on a regular basis.

Me: "I got a $5 store coupon in my email, but I don't know what to get because everything is so overpriced there."

Him: "Stop complaining that free stuff is too expensive."

He doesn't understand that it's the principle. Apples shouldn't be $2 per pound even if they are free.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1568 on: July 13, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
I have a $5 coupon to a local grocery store that expires in 2 weeks. I've been sitting on it for a month because I can't come up with $5 worth of stuff that's a good price all at once. I have this argument with my husband on a regular basis.

Me: "I got a $5 store coupon in my email, but I don't know what to get because everything is so overpriced there."

He doesn't understand that it's the principle. Apples shouldn't be $2 per pound even if they are free.

I still have Amazon gift cards I got last Christmas for this same reason!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1569 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »

What? If this is a $5 coupon for a $5 purchase, just use it no matter what the cost of anything is, so long as you will use/consume the item and you can get your total purchase amount to be close to $5.
If you want to throw away $5 (in opportunity cost) because you think apples shouldn't be priced at $2/lb, then sure I guess...seems stupid to me.

Now if it's a $5 coupon for a >$5 purchase, then I can understand your mentality, to the extent that the markup on the items is greater than the discount given by the coupon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:58:08 PM by johnny847 »

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #1570 on: July 14, 2015, 04:58:58 AM »
Oh, I'm going to use it, not throw it away - as long as I hit at least $5, I can use it. I wanted to keep it for a good sale  on something I could stock up on though, not just blow it on something stupid that I could get for half the price some other time and place.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1571 on: July 14, 2015, 06:23:23 AM »

"Tax free day" is just a gift to retailers. They know that more people will be coming out to shop and will be buying those particular items, so they either just 1) increase the price of those items by the amount of the tax, 2) increase the price of other items to capture that extra money from you, or 3) both.

When I worked retail we never raised our prices for tax-free weekend. In fact, we often discounted the "luxury  goods" (things that were not tax free) by at least 8.25% so that they would be "like tax free". (And advertised "we will pay the tax!".

I haven't seen what you are describing at all.  Most retailers have sales on those weekends, because they are fighting for the back to school crowd. And holy crap is it a crowd.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1572 on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »

When I worked retail we never raised our prices for tax-free weekend. In fact, we often discounted the "luxury  goods" (things that were not tax free) by at least 8.25% so that they would be "like tax free". (And advertised "we will pay the tax!".

I haven't seen what you are describing at all.  Most retailers have sales on those weekends, because they are fighting for the back to school crowd. And holy crap is it a crowd.

I worked retail at a big box discount store, and we would also run "bulk discounts" during these weekends--BOGO sales and whatnot, which were actually our worst deals, because you only got the deep discounts (50%) if you bought a lot. (Often more than you needed!) But during B2S, it's all about how much you can get for how cheap...

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1573 on: July 14, 2015, 08:09:47 AM »
Oh, I'm going to use it, not throw it away - as long as I hit at least $5, I can use it. I wanted to keep it for a good sale  on something I could stock up on though, not just blow it on something stupid that I could get for half the price some other time and place.

But you're not going to get anything cheaper than free, no matter what the sticker price is. Let's say you buy apples, and they're $2/lb (which, by the way, is not a bad price in my neck of the woods). And let's say that they're enormous apples, 1lb/each, so you're definitely going to go over $5.

You buy 3 enormous apples that ring up at $6. You pay one coupon plus $1.

What if you don't use the coupon? Well, could you ever get the same amount of apples for less than $1 anywhere else? If yes, and if it's the same situation for everything that store sells (that is, everything they sell is more than $5 more expensive than the competition), then throw the coupon away. But that seems unlikely.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1574 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »

Why not sell them then?  They are rarely discounted because most people can use them.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1575 on: July 14, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »
Mustachian problem:
I went to a mustachian meetup on Saturday downtown and since I live in the suburbs, the bus only comes once an hour. So instead of taking the 10 dollar taxi, I waited 45 minutes for the bus from the metro when I was going home.

I went to a mustachian meetup on Sunday downtown and since I live in the suburbs, the train only comes every 2 hours. So I got there 2 hours early, ate the lunch I'd brought from home, and read my book.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1576 on: July 14, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
Folks, it's mustachian people "problems." JakeJake, I'm totally with you on objecting to something on principle.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1577 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:19 AM »

Why not sell them then?  They are rarely discounted because most people can use them.

I've already redeemed them to my account. And I am using them, just slowly. I started with a bit over $400 and now I'm down to maybe $150. I think I've spent $0 of my own money on Amazon this year. I'll probably go through it all before next Christmas.

Of course, I'm only buying things I would buy anyway.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #1578 on: July 14, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »

Typically stores tend to have some of their best sales on tax free weekend to draw in more customers. When I worked in retail, the store calmed down a lot by 3pm or so. Though I'm in the same boat... no reason to go shopping since there's nothing I need.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1579 on: July 14, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »
I won't be buying anything on Amazon Prime Day because we let our Prime membership lapse in December. I'm now spending way less $$$ on Amazon ... go figure!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1580 on: July 14, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »

Hahaha.  This is AWESOME!!

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #1581 on: July 15, 2015, 06:30:28 AM »

Typically stores tend to have some of their best sales on tax free weekend to draw in more customers. When I worked in retail, the store calmed down a lot by 3pm or so. Though I'm in the same boat... no reason to go shopping since there's nothing I need.

I always go during tax free weekend.  The undershirts I like come in a "5+2" pack, plus a usual sale on them.  So I get 7 shirts for the price of 3-4.  I don't shop, just stop by, grab some shirts, check out at the jewelry counter, leave.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #1582 on: July 15, 2015, 06:33:43 AM »
Being 21 and always being the one to suggest we DON'T go the bar and drink. I usually volunteer to even cook dinner for the friends group.
Usually I win out when I start quoting liquor prices, but it's like this almost EVERY weekend.

Ah... to be 43, where the stigma to get hammered every day possible is not nearly as strong.

Mr. McGibblets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1583 on: July 15, 2015, 07:27:13 AM »
Being 21 and always being the one to suggest we DON'T go the bar and drink. I usually volunteer to even cook dinner for the friends group.
Usually I win out when I start quoting liquor prices, but it's like this almost EVERY weekend.

Ah... to be 43, where the stigma to get hammered every day possible is not nearly as strong.

This ties in to another recent post of having "antimustachian" friends. My friend group LOVES to go out to bars all day and night on the weekends. I used to participate often, but realized that it didn't make me any happier. I've since moved out to the suburbs and still see them plenty, just not over $12 beers.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1584 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »

This ties in to another recent post of having "antimustachian" friends. My friend group LOVES to go out to bars all day and night on the weekends. I used to participate often, but realized that it didn't make me any happier. I've since moved out to the suburbs and still see them plenty, just not over $12 beers.

I'm grateful that my friend group only goes out to the bar about once a month, and even then no one is aiming to get drunk, but rather to enjoy good food and good beer/drinks in good company, so everyone just has a small meal and 1-2 drinks. I guess this is rare for most in their early-mid twenties?

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #1585 on: July 15, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Well, I'm 21, so most people in my age group are still in that "Young, and wild, and free" stage of life. To most of them, money is still that green stuff your parents give you when you whine. Fortunately, my closest friends get that which leads to the greatest mustachian hobby ever for 21 year old boy-men: Free online Gaming! We live thousands of miles apart now, but grew up together, and the four of us will get on a Skype call (free) and game together online on a game that is also free probably once a week.

It's that next circle of friends that always want to go out all the time. But yes, @Sam E, it is unusual for people around that age to go to a bar for just the food and atmosphere. Bars for my friends usually go two ways: a) buy $2 dollar pitchers of shitty beer until they cut you off (mostly the boys) or flirt with men to get free drinks till they are cut off (usually the girls).

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1586 on: July 15, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
This is a mustachian problem I just reminded myself about...

Back at the beginning of 2013 I sold my car and opted to use only my bike, no matter the weather. Over the next year and a half I biked everyday, even through the winter. Near the end of 2014 I chose to buy a car again to have as a backup plan. When I called my old insurance agent to sign up for car insurance again the conversation went like this...

Agent: So you said you had insurance through us back in 2013. Who insures you now?
Me: No one. I sold my car then and used just my bike, so I haven't had insurance. Now I'm buying a car so that's what I need insurance for. I figured I'd get it through you again.
Agent: Oh... So you've been driving without insurance since you last cancelled with us?
Me: No, I haven't been driving at all. I don't even own a car that I could insure. I've been getting around by bicycle the last year and a half.
Agent: Okay... so you don't have a car right now.
Me: Right.
Agent: And that's why you don't have insurance.
Me: Exactly.
Agent: So... you've been driving without insurance for a year and a half?
Me: NO! *facedesk*

I just couldn't get it through his head that I simply wasn't driving. Any car. Whatsoever. I eventually got through to him after about 10 minutes of pulling teeth, but it's really astounding how far outside the box his mind had to stretch just for such a straightforward concept.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1587 on: July 15, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »

Back at the beginning of 2013 I sold my car and opted to use only my bike, no matter the weather. Over the next year and a half I biked everyday, even through the winter. Near the end of 2014 I chose to buy a car again to have as a backup plan. When I called my old insurance agent to sign up for car insurance again the conversation went like this...

Agent: So you said you had insurance through us back in 2013. Who insures you now?
Me: No one. I sold my car then and used just my bike, so I haven't had insurance. Now I'm buying a car so that's what I need insurance for. I figured I'd get it through you again.
Agent: Oh... So you've been driving without insurance since you last cancelled with us?
Me: No, I haven't been driving at all. I don't even own a car that I could insure. I've been getting around by bicycle the last year and a half.

I just couldn't get it through his head that I simply wasn't driving. Any car. Whatsoever. I eventually got through to him after about 10 minutes of pulling teeth, but it's really astounding how far outside the box his mind had to stretch just for such a straightforward concept.

It would be at that point that I would thank him for his time, hang up and find another agent. Someone who understands basic concepts like "the insurance you need depends on the exposure you have".

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1588 on: July 15, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
The shortest daily used time is the New York Second, defined as the time between the traffic light changing to green and the cab beyond you honking.

A swedish automotive journalist once tried to time the lenght of the New York Second in Stockholm and started in the outskirts driving towards the city center.  When the lights turned green he waited until the car behind him honked until he started driving.  Approaching the downtown area, the times were shorter and shorter.  Once he reached the absolute center of Stockholm he realized that it was the same car behind him on the whole journey....

That's adorable. Funny.  I laughed way too hard cuz I could see my moms side of family doing that.

BTW, A Malaysian second would be somewhere between 20 sec and infinity. Once I sat at a green light for I swear a whole minute.  I thought the red right- turn was my light.  Not a single car honked.  One motorcycle zipped past me.  I thought, "wow, that's dangerous".  Second one sped past me and I thought, "holy hell scooters be crazy today", third one zipped past and I thought, "Is there something I'm fundamentally getting wrong here?"  Sure enough, I was looking at the wrong light. 6 car drivers, in line behind me, patiently waited. None honked.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1589 on: July 15, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
So my landlord just told me and my roommate the "good news" that he bought an air conditioner for our apartment and will be installing it in a few days. I immediately panicked, and told him I didn't want an air conditioner (though I said if my roommate wanted it, I would defer to her). Didn't he remember when I moved in and REMOVED the window air conditioner that was in my bedroom? The fact that the apartment did not have air conditioning was a plus for me when I was looking at apartments. My wonderful roommate said she was fine with not having the air conditioner either. The landlord's response: "Well, I'll just put it in and then you can use it if you want." I'm sure he thinks he is improving the apartment, but I am supremely annoyed. There's not a lot of extra space in the living room (as it should be), so I don't really want an air conditioner that will be ugly, take up space, and tempt the roommate. Grr.

(However, I admit that while the air conditioner aspect to this is "mustachian," the real problem here is that the landlord loves to make "improvements" to the apartment that I actually don't like, without consulting me first, while there are other things around the apartment that I wish he would fix and have asked him to fix and he does not fix). 

Btw, that insurance agent story is scary. "So... you've been driving without insurance for a year and a half?" WHAT?

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1590 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:12 PM »

Not nearly as face-palm inducing, but I went to pick up a rental car (without DH, who typically comes along) and had the following conversation with the rental guy:

Him: So you only want liability insurance.
Me: Yes.
Him: What happens if you wreck my car?
Me: (pause. realize he's talking about the rental car, and not his personal vehicle.) We will pay for it.
Him: So you have car insurance?
Me: No, we don't have car insurance. That's why we're getting the liability.
Him: So what if you get in a wreck and wreck my car?
Me: We will pay for it. Out of pocket.
Him: But you DO want liability?
Me: Yes. Paying for a car is nothing compared to possible medical expenses. We just want the liability.
Him: *clearly the wheels in his head are still turning as he hands me the paperwork* Sign here.

It felt like he was trying to man-splain and/or up-sell me, and playing on the fact that I was a woman alone (the implication being that I knew nothing about car insurance or could be scared into purchasing more insurance). He also could not process the idea that someone could pay for a car out of pocket if anything happened (also, we now realize we also get loss-damage insurance through our credit card).

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1591 on: July 16, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
I always go through my credit card for rental cars. It's funny the look of panic when I tell them I just want liability. And then when I return the car with nary a scratch they pretend that conversation never happened.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1592 on: July 16, 2015, 08:42:38 PM »
It felt like he was trying to man-splain and/or up-sell me, and playing on the fact that I was a woman alone (the implication being that I knew nothing about car insurance or could be scared into purchasing more insurance). He also could not process the idea that someone could pay for a car out of pocket if anything happened (also, we now realize we also get loss-damage insurance through our credit card).

I doubt it was that, honestly. Most likely a combination of the second part of your post and the salesperson's desire to up-sell (possibly combined with his personal beliefs about how necessary insurance is; many people wouldn't dare have anything but the highest coverage with the lowest deductibles).

I recently bought a new car and had to argue against an extended warranty with the financial officer for about 15 full minutes before we could continue with the paperwork. He used the same tactics on me (a male) as you describe. First he was shocked I didn't instantly buy into it at the first mention of the extended warranty, then he tried to convince me it was a way to save money in the long run, then he tried to scare me with how expensive it would be to repair the car, then he tried to scare me with how likely it would be that something would break, then he tried to bring up money savings in the long run again... we went around in circles for 15 actual minutes and then I was finally allowed to begin filling out paperwork to finalize the car sale. It was excruciating.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1593 on: July 16, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »

I doubt it was that, honestly. Most likely a combination of the second part of your post and the salesperson's desire to up-sell (possibly combined with his personal beliefs about how necessary insurance is; many people wouldn't dare have anything but the highest coverage with the lowest deductibles).

I recently bought a new car and had to argue against an extended warranty with the financial officer for about 15 full minutes before we could continue with the paperwork. He used the same tactics on me (a male) as you describe. First he was shocked I didn't instantly buy into it at the first mention of the extended warranty, then he tried to convince me it was a way to save money in the long run, then he tried to scare me with how expensive it would be to repair the car, then he tried to scare me with how likely it would be that something would break, then he tried to bring up money savings in the long run again... we went around in circles for 15 actual minutes and then I was finally allowed to begin filling out paperwork to finalize the car sale. It was excruciating.

Sounds like the financial officer doesn't have much faith in their products... I probably would have threatened to walk out on the deal if he kept pushing it.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #1594 on: July 16, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »
Right? Oh, so your reason for selling me the warranty is that your car is a piece of shit. Please, tell me why you're telling me this now and not after I've signed the papers. Do you really suck at your job that much?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1595 on: July 17, 2015, 06:58:50 AM »
Right? Oh, so your reason for selling me the warranty is that your car is a piece of shit. Please, tell me why you're telling me this now and not after I've signed the papers. Do you really suck at your job that much?

I actually said this to the guy at the car dealership when they were trying to sell me all the add on products (before I had bought the car).

I basically said, "Wow- if all this stuff is necessary, it sounds like it isn't a good car to be buying. Maybe I should go look at something else."

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1596 on: July 17, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
We visited Starbucks yesterday.  We go so seldom that our card doesn't have the 10 stars necessary to give us free refills.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1597 on: July 17, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »
He probably couldn't tell you the real reason for the pressure because it was something along the lines of "we make a lot of money off this product by preying on people's fear...".

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1598 on: July 17, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
We visited Starbucks yesterday.  We go so seldom that our card doesn't have the 10 stars necessary to give us free refills.
Haha!  I don't know what stars are or how to get free refills. I usually hit Starbucks at the airport, and work hasn't forced me to travel lately. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1599 on: July 17, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
Haha!  I don't know what stars are or how to get free refills. I usually hit Starbucks at the airport, and work hasn't forced me to travel lately.

I thought it was 5 stars.