Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1070244 times)

Pinch of salt

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4000 on: July 15, 2017, 04:44:51 AM »
Awesome thread and replies! Some of mine...

I have trouble remembering the passwords to all my investment accounts when I update our net worth spreadsheet.
My wife felt snubbed when we left her income off our mortgage application in order to minimize the required documentation.
I can’t appreciate the finer things in life, like 4k TVs and wine that costs more than $6/bottle.
I have to feign excitement about my annual raise (it only takes a week or two off my FIRE date).
We make too much to contribute to our Roth IRAs.
I have a pile of emails Monday mornings because I don’t work weekends.
Sometimes my stocks keep going up after I sell them.
My spreadsheet says I will have $100 million when I’m 75. What do I do with that?!

Please set up a foundation and give the money away. Please and thank you.

ckosh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4001 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:32 AM »

Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen people use an EBT card, a couple credit cards, AND cash to checkout at Wal-Mart before..

I wonder what people think when I use  multiple cards for very small purchases (at self checkout if there is not a line) for the mustachian reason of reaching the required number of card usages to meet the requirements for reward checking accounts in order to get higher interest rate.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4002 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:53 AM »
I've been that person too. I had a set of coupons that worked per transaction at the supermarket, so was putting every single item through as a separate transaction. I'd also (finally) sorted through the pocket lint change that was littering every bag and surface in the house so was paying for each transaction with mostly pennies. There was no queue so I wasn't inconveniencing anyone but I don't think that anyone else gave it any thought.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4003 on: July 16, 2017, 05:38:17 AM »
I don't even like the frugalwoods. I just signed up for Uber Frugal July to participate with this community. But now it doesn't seem right to talk about how useless these frugal tips are for us.

I'm curious what you dislike about Frugalwoods?  The UFM challenge is my first experience with them, but so far I like what I see. Yes, their tips are redundant for us who've read MMM, but I like seeing a young family living their frugality day-to-day. They also seem to attract a more "mainstream" crowd, so I've enjoyed reading the comments and watching people realize they can live well without eating out 3x/week.

Plus, unlike MMM, they don't seem to be basically professional carpenters. When I read a post about a project they've done on their own, I actually feel like I can do it too.

They are a nice couple and their blog is just fine.  Useful info presented in a professional and honest manner.
Anyone interested in the topic will find good info there.

I simply can't stand the "cutesy" aspects of the site.   It sets off my gag reflex. 

That's my pure personal taste, I need not justify that, nor does anyone need to get upset about it.
No one's getting upset or asking anyone to justify. I asked a question of ixtap because I was curious to know what he/she didn't like. I explained what I like about Frugalwoods. The end.

I follow the Frugalwoods blog partially because the pictures of their property and house are EXACTLY what my husband wants out of life, and it is incredibly useful to have an example to show him of "this is what we could have if we saved more money instead of going on a fancy vacation to Scotland".
I'm going to pile on because this has been bugging me lately. I believe this is a safe place to express my opinion without hurting anyone's feelings. I don't want to trash her; I'm just wondering if anyone here feels the same way.

Mrs. FW's vocabulary is way over the top. I am a lifelong reader with an excellent command of the language and reasonably strong writing skills. I frequently find her vocabulary off-putting. If she's trying to be more inclusive with these frugal challenges, she might get better results with language that is less highfalutin showy. Even to my trained ear, it smacks of elitism, which I am sure is not her intention. End of rant.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

SachaFiscal

• Stubble
« Reply #4004 on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »
I was offered a payment plan for a package of eyebrow waxes that cost about $230. I couldn't believe it!

Before you critique paying for eyebrow waxes, my eyebrows grow wild and that is one thing I dont trust doing myself. I'd probably end up looking like Spock from Star Trek if I tried it myself.

I think I've got the next 2 years of eyebrow waxing covered with that sale on the package of visits.

I got a similar package for my side burns and cheeks (I'm a very hairy person).  Have you tried threading?  I used get my eyebrows, upper lip, and chin waxed then I switched to threading and like it better.  It doesn't irritate my skin as much.  After years of waxing/threading my eyebrows I've gotten to a point where I don't need to get my eyebrows done anymore.  The hairs stopped growing in the unwanted places (or grow very thin like baby hairs) and I only have to trim my eyebrows with tiny scissors every couple of months.  I got the waxing package for my side burns and cheeks hoping that they would eventually thin out too and I won't have to do it forever.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4005 on: July 16, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »
I feel obligated to check in here as another person who will split transactions among multiple cards occasionally.

Right now for example, I've got one debit card that I got from filling out some online surveys - the balance started as $100. And another that is $25 for a rebate from some auto store. And some grocery store gift cards I bought because it was $40 to buy a $50 gift card. I'm one of those people that will swipe a card to use up a $3 remaining balance on it so I can throw it out, then swipe a second card to use up a $10 remaining balance, and do a third swipe using the store gift card. It's got nothing to do with maxing out credit cards or being unable to pay bills. It's just decluttering.

Also - I used to be on WIC coupons, which is similar to EBT. I may have posted about this before, but I see it's time to post it again. My situation was I was in the army reserves (as an intel analyst) while going to grad school and raising a toddler. I wasn't bad with money or stupid, I was investing in my future career. And sometimes I would use my WIC coupons while buying cigarettes in the same transaction.

I don't smoke; I never have. But the woman who volunteered to watch my kid for free on the weekends when I had reserve drills - when day care centers were closed - smoked, but didn't drive. So I would pick up cigarettes for her as a thank you. Or sometimes I would buy her some beer.

It's so infuriating and humiliating to have people behind you in line making comments or glaring when you have purchases like that, and feel like you either have to justify your entire life to them, or have them use you to reinforce their negative stereotypes about public assistance ... or feel like you have to make multiple trips to the store just to avoid that shit, when you can't really afford the time or gas to do multiple trips. Ugh.

So in the same way that we know that people make ridiculous assumptions about us (you bike - you must be poor!), I'm hoping people here can understand that we are equally susceptible to making bad assumptions about others. (You can't afford to feed your child but somehow you can afford to smoke - you must be the worst parent ever!). If we're on this forum, it's likely we have a backstory that people around us don't see - probably related to our retirement accounts. Other people have invisible backstories too.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4006 on: July 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »
I don't even like the frugalwoods. I just signed up for Uber Frugal July to participate with this community. But now it doesn't seem right to talk about how useless these frugal tips are for us.

I'm curious what you dislike about Frugalwoods?  The UFM challenge is my first experience with them, but so far I like what I see. Yes, their tips are redundant for us who've read MMM, but I like seeing a young family living their frugality day-to-day. They also seem to attract a more "mainstream" crowd, so I've enjoyed reading the comments and watching people realize they can live well without eating out 3x/week.

Plus, unlike MMM, they don't seem to be basically professional carpenters. When I read a post about a project they've done on their own, I actually feel like I can do it too.

They are a nice couple and their blog is just fine.  Useful info presented in a professional and honest manner.

I simply can't stand the "cutesy" aspects of the site.   It sets off my gag reflex. 

That's my pure personal taste, I need not justify that, nor does anyone need to get upset about it.
No one's getting upset or asking anyone to justify. I asked a question of ixtap because I was curious to know what he/she didn't like. I explained what I like about Frugalwoods. The end.

I follow the Frugalwoods blog partially because the pictures of their property and house are EXACTLY what my husband wants out of life, and it is incredibly useful to have an example to show him of "this is what we could have if we saved more money instead of going on a fancy vacation to Scotland".
I'm going to pile on because this has been bugging me lately. I believe this is a safe place to express my opinion without hurting anyone's feelings. I don't want to trash her; I'm just wondering if anyone here feels the same way.

Mrs. FW's vocabulary is way over the top. I am a lifelong reader with an excellent command of the language and reasonably strong writing skills. I frequently find her vocabulary off-putting. If she's trying to be more inclusive with these frugal challenges, she might get better results with language that is less highfalutin showy. Even to my trained ear, it smacks of elitism, which I am sure is not her intention. End of rant.

I'm also a life long reader and I kinda like when I come across an unfamiliar word in her posts.  It's free education!. Often I'll try to remember to look it up, although I don't always.

I suspect she's including the unusual words just because she can. 

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4007 on: July 16, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »

I'm also a life long reader and I kinda like when I come across an unfamiliar word in her posts.  It's free education!. Often I'll try to remember to look it up, although I don't always.

I suspect she's including the unusual words just because she can.
Honestly, I rarely encounter a word I don't know, but I've been a word freak all my life. I imagine there are a number of readers who have no idea what she's talking about. Since the FW's don't seem to be the least bit elitist IRL, I find the multiple esoteric polysyllabic words rather incongruous with their message. I do adore the term "frugal weirdos" though. ♡♡♡♡♡♡
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4008 on: July 16, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »
I feel obligated to check in here as another person who will split transactions among multiple cards occasionally.

Right now for example, I've got one debit card that I got from filling out some online surveys - the balance started as $100. And another that is $25 for a rebate from some auto store. And some grocery store gift cards I bought because it was $40 to buy a $50 gift card. I'm one of those people that will swipe a card to use up a $3 remaining balance on it so I can throw it out, then swipe a second card to use up a $10 remaining balance, and do a third swipe using the store gift card. It's got nothing to do with maxing out credit cards or being unable to pay bills. It's just decluttering.

Also - I used to be on WIC coupons, which is similar to EBT. I may have posted about this before, but I see it's time to post it again. My situation was I was in the army reserves (as an intel analyst) while going to grad school and raising a toddler. I wasn't bad with money or stupid, I was investing in my future career. And sometimes I would use my WIC coupons while buying cigarettes in the same transaction.

I don't smoke; I never have. But the woman who volunteered to watch my kid for free on the weekends when I had reserve drills - when day care centers were closed - smoked, but didn't drive. So I would pick up cigarettes for her as a thank you. Or sometimes I would buy her some beer.

It's so infuriating and humiliating to have people behind you in line making comments or glaring when you have purchases like that, and feel like you either have to justify your entire life to them, or have them use you to reinforce their negative stereotypes about public assistance ... or feel like you have to make multiple trips to the store just to avoid that shit, when you can't really afford the time or gas to do multiple trips. Ugh.

So in the same way that we know that people make ridiculous assumptions about us (you bike - you must be poor!), I'm hoping people here can understand that we are equally susceptible to making bad assumptions about others. (You can't afford to feed your child but somehow you can afford to smoke - you must be the worst parent ever!). If we're on this forum, it's likely we have a backstory that people around us don't see - probably related to our retirement accounts. Other people have invisible backstories too.

Thanks for sharing. Your story is a good reminder that we should be less quick to judge*. You could've given your sitter cash, but opting to give her gift she'd use seems like the kinder option, even though it left you exposed to others' judgment.

*I do reserve the right to judge people who I *KNOW* have expensive tastes/habits who complain that it's impossible to ever save any money. C'mon, I'm not a saint.

FIREfly34

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4009 on: July 17, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »
I just developed a great new way for organizing my finances, but I can't really put it into action until the end of the month.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4010 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:24 AM »
*I do reserve the right to judge people who I *KNOW* have expensive tastes/habits who complain that it's impossible to ever save any money. C'mon, I'm not a saint.
Oh god yes, I didn't mean to imply I'm above all judgment. Some people truly are idiots with money and they don't do a good job of hiding it at all!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4011 on: July 17, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
I have to make soup this week, even though it's going to be in the 90s, because the only other choice is to throw away a perfectly good chicken carcass. And that ain't happening.

(Freezer is full, partly due to previous chicken carcasses.)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4012 on: July 17, 2017, 06:29:56 PM »
MPP:

My husband and I had to spend some money on clothing at the thrift store because we've both lost so much weight (not eating out, not drinking much, cooking, and hiking/working out in the park) that our old clothes didn't fit anymore.

My neighbors would probably also complain about the increased frequency of...noise...coming from our place ;)

Also, had to purchase new contacts and went through this conversation:

Me: I'd like to buy a year's worth of contacts now.
Them: Are you sure? It's really expensive, you can buy just a few months at a time if you want.
Me: No, that's ok, a year is good.
Them: Well, it's $500, so if you want we could put you on a payment plan.
Me: Uh, that's ok. I'll just pay today. (I hand her my credit card)
Them: Ok, so how many cards will you be splitting this between?
Me: Just that one.
Them: The whole $500?

GAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! She FINALLY did it, but I honestly felt like she thought I didn't understand that it was a whole $500, and couldn't believe someone could just afford to pay for that.
Geez I can't believe that people would split up a $500 purchase over several cards

I'm in awe that the contacts cost $500 a year. I've been spending about $100 a year at 1-800-contacts. I get over a month out of each contact.
I do understand some can't wear them as long as I do.

Yeah, this price kind of surprises me as well.  R. Daneel Olivaw, do you have a special/weird prescription?  Weird astigmatism?  I just paid $252 for an 18-month supply of soft semi-monthlies back in October (1-800 Contacts), and my prescription is for correction of unusually strong nearsightedness.
Gee, I hope your not stacking them up like this lady.
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20170717/dozens-of-contact-lenses-found-in-womens-eye?src=RSS_PUBLIC

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #4013 on: July 17, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »
I bought half a sheep from the butcher. They cut it up into all the usual pieces, but also included the spare bits left over from the process. I now have three bags of 'spare bits' - mostly fat and bones with a few meat scraps and ribs - and no idea what to do with them. If I make stock, how would I store that much liquid stock? Soup, maybe?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4014 on: July 17, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
I bought half a sheep from the butcher. They cut it up into all the usual pieces, but also included the spare bits left over from the process. I now have three bags of 'spare bits' - mostly fat and bones with a few meat scraps and ribs - and no idea what to do with them. If I make stock, how would I store that much liquid stock? Soup, maybe?

Reduction and store as psuedo bouillon cubes.
http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-bouillon-portable-soup/
=)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4015 on: July 18, 2017, 04:18:40 AM »

=)

Thank you for sharing this!!!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4016 on: July 18, 2017, 06:48:34 AM »
The dvds I checked out of the library are scratched and unwatchable. :(

chaskavitch

• Stubble
« Reply #4017 on: July 18, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »

=)

Thank you for sharing this!!!

This might have to go over to the "Homemade Christmas - 2017 Edition!" thread.  My mom is weird enough that she'd definitely appreciate it :)

ETA - and now it's there :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:57:49 AM by chaskavitch »

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #4018 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
I know the feeling, I even had a library employee tell me they suspected one of my kids did it... Way to reward my honesty of reporting it.
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4019 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
My credit score is really good but Chase won't let me open more cards because they've gotten wise to me just getting the bonus and ever paying interest :(

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4020 on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
A coffee shop in Canada accidentally charged me nearly $7000 for two coffees. I called my credit card company immediately. Five calls later and half a month later, the transaction has finally been reversed. Personal Capital has a bit of delay, though, so my net worth is still artificially low, and even though $7000 is not a huge percentage of my net worth, it pains me to look at it!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4021 on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
[Contact lens conversation]
Gee, I hope your not stacking them up like this lady.
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20170717/dozens-of-contact-lenses-found-in-womens-eye?src=RSS_PUBLIC

My gosh!  That poor woman!  It makes you wonder if she has very early dementia or thought disposable contact lenses dissolved out the way some stitches (skin sutures) do.
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4022 on: July 18, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
I know the feeling, I even had a library employee tell me they suspected one of my kids did it... Way to reward my honesty of reporting it.

I had that happen. I responded with a cold stare and "I don't have any children. And if you think it's appropriate for a child to watch this movie, you have a problem." That particular individual was extremely rude and actually nasty, and the next time I was at the library, one of the supervisors made a point of mentioning that so and so no longer worked there.

There are some advantages to being a regular at the library. I knew ALL of the staff, and a huge number of the volunteers. This one staff person was really not a good person and had no business working in a library.

Loren Ver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4023 on: July 18, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »
When I was reading your contact story I was expecting more than $500.  My lenses are gas permeable are over $180 per lens.   But then again, they usually last me 10 years or so....

My MPP is a light weight.  I now drive a 17 year old car (my last vehicle got totaled while sitting in my driveway).  I wanted to learn to drive a stick (bucket list item) and wanted to pay cash (insurance money) so that is what I ended up with.  It happened to be a convertible, but that is strictly a coincidence (and maybe on bucket list too).

I work at a place where many spend more than I do, and most make more as well.  My old car has no A/C (having 100 degree weather this week), lots of nicks and dings, broken grill, missing extra light.  I kinda stick out among the Hondas, BMWs and the pair of Stingrays.   But I can now drive a stick and the car goes vroom vroom.  I get piteous looks from the ones that don't know I am moving towards FIRE.  :)

Edit - MMP changed to MPP.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4024 on: July 18, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
My MPP today:

I got a washer and dryer for free. They're old, but free, and I hoped that they were the old ones that never died until they were like, 30 years old. I was right, they are.

The washer is 30 years old. It's terminally ill, and death is imminent. Now I have to buy a washer, though going to put it off as long as I can. New washer is already picked out: Speed Queen. Estimate for purchase, delivery, etc is around $1k. Darn it.

On the bright side, I get to play with a power washer this weekend, assuming the store has one available for rental (they have 3, I just need one).

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4025 on: July 19, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
Honestly, I rarely encounter a word I don't know, but I've been a word freak all my life. I imagine there are a number of readers who have no idea what she's talking about. Since the FW's don't seem to be the least bit elitist IRL, I find the multiple esoteric polysyllabic words rather incongruous with their message. I do adore the term "frugal weirdos" though.

I've been told that I use esoteric words. My problem is that I don't notice enough to not use them in general circumstances (like at word). These words are just part of my vocabulary.

There is a stage of childhood development where the child discovers that other people don't have the same knowledge they have. This is something I still struggle with.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #4026 on: July 19, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »
My MPP today:

I got a washer and dryer for free. They're old, but free, and I hoped that they were the old ones that never died until they were like, 30 years old. I was right, they are.

The washer is 30 years old. It's terminally ill, and death is imminent. Now I have to buy a washer, though going to put it off as long as I can. New washer is already picked out: Speed Queen. Estimate for purchase, delivery, etc is around $1k. Darn it.

On the bright side, I get to play with a power washer this weekend, assuming the store has one available for rental (they have 3, I just need one).

A friend who owns an appliance shop sells Speed Queens to local dairy farmers for exactly that reason - they never wear out.... even on a dairy farm. (Cow manure is notoriously difficult.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4027 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:30 AM »
I've been told that I use esoteric words. My problem is that I don't notice enough to not use them in general circumstances (like at word). These words are just part of my vocabulary.

I too, have been described as an erudite.

I had to look it up!!!! Loled for days.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #4028 on: July 20, 2017, 03:13:34 AM »
I went to the bank to deposit a cheque and ended up trying to explain to the teller why I wasn't interested in her upsell. 

I knew exactly what she was about to suggest because there was posters all over the bank about their new 'low fee 0% balance transfer card'.  It was cringe worthy.

Teller: I can see on the system that you have a credit card with another bank.
Me: I do, but..
Teller: [interupts me] Did you know that we now offer a 0% balance transfer card with a very low fee.  It's a great product and you would just have to, blah blah blah.
Me: Sorry, that isn't something I'm interested in
Teller: It could save you a lot of money in interest payments!
Me: I pay my credit card off every month, it wouldn't save me anything.
Teller: You mean you pay the minimum payment?  That means you're paying interest!
Me: No, I pay the full balance.  Every month. 
Teller: What do you mean?
Me:  If we spend 2k on the card during the month, we pay the 2k bill at the end of the month.  I do not pay any interest, ever.
Teller:  Oh... that must be nice.

This is the same bank that once told me I must mean 'twenty three hundred not twenty three thousand' when I asked them to move some money between accounts.  No, you condescending fuck.  I mean 23k, check the balance if you want.  Now push the buttons.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:08:49 AM by UKMustache »

Zoot

• Stubble
« Reply #4029 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »
My MPP yesterday:  had to widen a column and change the axis format on a couple of graphs in my household finance tracking spreadsheet because our net worth hit $1M.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:02:13 AM by Zoot »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4030 on: July 20, 2017, 06:22:55 AM »
My MPP yesterday:  had to widen a column and change the axis format on a couple of graphs in my household finance tracking spreadsheet because our net worth hit $1M.  :)

I think this is my favourite MPP ever! Congrats!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #4031 on: July 20, 2017, 07:01:14 AM »

I think this is my favourite MPP ever! Congrats!

Right on!  Nice problem to have.  ;)

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4032 on: July 20, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »
My MPP today:

A friend who owns an appliance shop sells Speed Queens to local dairy farmers for exactly that reason - they never wear out.... even on a dairy farm. (Cow manure is notoriously difficult.)

So, I assume I'm safe getting the mechanical dial one?

Eventually, I'll get the dryer too, but so far my dryer is just fine.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4033 on: July 20, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »

I've read them all.

This is easily my favorite.

Way to go!

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #4034 on: July 20, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »

I sympathize, it must suck to be you :D
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4035 on: July 20, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »

Right? I mean... I can even imagine how many clicks that required...like...was it more than 10?

I can't even...

Hey, really, though: congrats!

Zoot

• Stubble
« Reply #4036 on: July 20, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »

Totally sucks--I mean, I even had to re-size the graph a little bit and now have to decide whether to move some data to different cells because the graph is bigger.  ;-)

Right? I mean... I can even imagine how many clicks that required...like...was it more than 10?

I can't even...

Hey, really, though: congrats!

It must have been at least 11 or 12.  I'd go get evaluated for carpal tunnel syndrome but I don't want a pre-existing condition on my record.  ;-)

The weird thing is that other than a whoop and arm-raise from both me and DH when we saw the number in Quicken update to a double-comma number after last night's update, it really was pretty anti-climactic other than moving the graphs around.

I am actively resisting the temptation to make a joke on the word "anti-climactic" in relation to our (free!) celebratory activity later that evening.  :)

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4037 on: July 20, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
You could just do the business thing and report your numbers in thousands..... your graph and columns could go back to their original sizes....

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Nice work.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4038 on: July 21, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
I've gone without buying soda for long that I only realized the aluminum cans have all changed shape! They're longer and I daresay... sexier-looking. Still don't want to buy soda, though.

jscott2135

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4039 on: July 21, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
I always get a laugh out of how horribly disappointed a thief would be with breaking into our home.  A few years back they broke into our Tundra and left everything lol...honestly I was a little offended they didn't want my 7 yr old GPS and crappy dvd players for the kids bwhahahah, but glad they just tossed around stuff and did no damage. They also opened our back gate...I assume looked in our back window and were disappointed enough to not bother breaking in...or maybe they saw Mustache Pitbull (shrugs, but glad they didn't attempt it)

We also dont have many friends, but I can't decide if its because we dont frit away our money with them or because we're crappy friends. I'll say its the money thing mostly!
We need more people speaking out. This country is not overrun with rebels and free thinkers. It's overrun with sheep and conformists.

Imma

• Stubble
« Reply #4040 on: July 21, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
Our washing machine is on its last legs. It's 11 years old and I got it in exchange for two boxes of chocolate 6 years ago. A friend is moving and is willing to sell her brand new washer/dryer combo for half of the new price. I'm afraid of lifestyle creep....

We live in a wet climate and have never owned a dryer before and have lived perfectly without it. I line-dry 80% of the time, when it rains for weeks I dry inside. We don't have that much laundry so if it rains, I pick another day to do the laundry. Those two loads a week can wait. I'm afraid that when I need dry sheets and towels in a rainy month, I'll be tempted to use the dryer function. Or when I really need to wear something the next day. Before you know it, you use it every week..

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4041 on: July 21, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
Our washing machine is on its last legs. It's 11 years old and I got it in exchange for two boxes of chocolate 6 years ago. A friend is moving and is willing to sell her brand new washer/dryer combo for half of the new price. I'm afraid of lifestyle creep....

We live in a wet climate and have never owned a dryer before and have lived perfectly without it. I line-dry 80% of the time, when it rains for weeks I dry inside. We don't have that much laundry so if it rains, I pick another day to do the laundry. Those two loads a week can wait. I'm afraid that when I need dry sheets and towels in a rainy month, I'll be tempted to use the dryer function. Or when I really need to wear something the next day. Before you know it, you use it every week..

We moved into our first unfurnished place two months ago and bought a washer-dryer. It's also the first place we had an actual garden to hang laundry in. I too am putting off that fateful "first dry" for fear of a slippery slope. I haven't even looked at how the drying controls work. At least it's summer now, but winter won't be long in coming...

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #4042 on: July 21, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
Way back in the olden days, after living in poverty for 5 years, we finally broke into the middle class.

I wanted to get my wife a washer and dryer because that would be **way** better than going to the laundromat - something neither of us wanted to do.

I wanted to surprise her, but that was going to be a really big purchase and I wanted to be **extra** sure that she got what she wanted.   We had agreed sometime back to get one when we could afford to.

So I enlisted the help of a mutual lady friend.  The friend said she needed to go shopping for one and wanted my wife to go along and give her advice on what model to pick.

After she found out what my wife thought was the best deal, I called and ordered one.

The plan worked.

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #4043 on: July 21, 2017, 11:07:54 PM »

Why don't you buy the set and then sell the dryer? Would your friend find out and be upset?
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4044 on: July 22, 2017, 12:46:49 AM »
This is easily my favorite.

Mine too. Well done.

Imma

• Stubble
« Reply #4045 on: July 22, 2017, 01:54:05 AM »

Why don't you buy the set and then sell the dryer? Would your friend find out and be upset?

Well, it's actually one machine that does both. In my language it would be called a washer/dryer combo, but I'm not sure if that's the correct English word then. If they were separate machines I'd just tell her to sell the dryer to someone else. It's in our kitchen, so we don't even have space for two machines.

In here that's a mark of being 'lower class': having a washing machine in the kitchen. I actually think it's the perfect place since our kitchen is right next to the back door. And as it's so heavy I'd hate to have to carry it upstairs.

neverrun

• Bristles
« Reply #4046 on: July 22, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
I was packing my big suitcase today to go on my 2 week house hunting trip for my work relocation.  Now granted since it's summer I didn't pack much wintertime bulkier clothes, but I didn't have enough non-work, non-running clothes to fill the suitcase.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4047 on: July 22, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »

Well, it's actually one machine that does both. In my language it would be called a washer/dryer combo, but I'm not sure if that's the correct English word then. If they were separate machines I'd just tell her to sell the dryer to someone else. It's in our kitchen, so we don't even have space for two machines.

In here that's a mark of being 'lower class': having a washing machine in the kitchen. I actually think it's the perfect place since our kitchen is right next to the back door. And as it's so heavy I'd hate to have to carry it upstairs.

That looks like the correct English, but [single-machine] washer/dryer combos are so uncommon in the US and Canada that our default assumption is that you have a [two-machine] washer/dryer combo set that match each other in design and were purchased at the same time.  See this United States home appliance retailer page of washers and dryers.
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #4048 on: July 22, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »

I see... one-piece washer/dryers are not so common here in Canada (they are usually not full-size). I have a model that can be separate or stacked. We have them stacked . . . in the kitchen!! And I'm sure a lot of friends think it's weird and/or low class, but guess what? I give approximately zero fucks;) It is very convenient, allows us to collect $1000/mo rent on our basement suite, and not have to worry about sharing a washer/dryer with our tenants. Laughing all the way to the bank. :)
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4049 on: July 22, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
It looks like what you're talking about is an "all-in-one" washer/dryer. See http://www.sears.com/appliances-specialty-laundry-all-in-one-washer-and-dryers/b-1101279?adcell=_HA_sears_WashersDryers_LR_SpecialtyLaundry_AIO

I've never heard of them before this. I wonder how "ventless" drying works?