Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1010242 times)

Greenway52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3250 on: November 14, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »

I would paint black Friesian splodges on the fridge, paint grass looking green paint around the gap (covering the jagged lines) and then paint a sun over the fridge in the blue area so the fridge looked like a cow in a meadow.

I just read this in the voice of Bob Ross. :D.  Made my morning.

Haha. I was thinking the same thing.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3251 on: November 14, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
Don't forget the happy little tree.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #3252 on: November 15, 2016, 06:34:48 AM »
And remember there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents.

runningthroughFIRE

• Bristles
  • Ask for broader shoulders.
« Reply #3253 on: November 15, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
My MMM problem this morning: Bonuses were paid out significantly higher than I had anticipated for Q3, which means this paycheck has enough taxable income in it to bump me back up into the next federal tax bracket.  The way our payroll system calculates withholdings is by assuming earnings will be the exact same over 24 pay periods, so they withheld at a higher rate and now I'm giving the federal government a ~$250 interest free loan.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3254 on: November 15, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
Usually credit card companies distinguish between cards using the last four or five digits.  "The AMEX ending in 12345", for example.

I do credit card offers.  So many that I, by chance, have two AMEX cards with the same ending five digits.  This causes confusion when I try to talk to AMEX about the newer card.

In other news, my Lexus with 145K miles is too old for Uber.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #3255 on: November 15, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
Went to the thrift store to buy a robe de chambre, found the 10$ price outrageous, didn't buy it. I'm afraid my standards over retail are getting unrealistic...
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #3256 on: November 15, 2016, 08:34:38 PM »
My FIRED MPP today - it was so gorgeous out that I couldn't decide whether to hike or kayak.
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3257 on: November 15, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »
Went to the thrift store to buy a robe de chambre, found the 10$ price outrageous, didn't buy it. I'm afraid my standards over retail are getting unrealistic...
Lol, I just did this when looking at a twin bed for my daughter on Craigslist.  The discounts were not good enough.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3258 on: November 15, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
Me too!  What other people mention as "cheap" I'm appalled by!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3259 on: November 16, 2016, 04:48:51 AM »

My husband thinks advanced hiking pants are too expensive. So he started sewing some for himself. They are good quality and fitting perfectly. I also got one that fit me perfectly.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3260 on: November 16, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »
My FIRED MPP today - it was so gorgeous out that I couldn't decide whether to hike or kayak.

You have all day - you can do both!  Enjoy!

TrMama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3261 on: November 16, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
This is probably more of a "you know you're mustashian when" problem but I think it's hilarious. Yesterday my office told us all about the company Christmas party being held in 10 days. The short notice means that I already have plans. My plans include cleaning horse stalls in exchange for free riding time.

Yes, I'd rather shovel actual horseshit than go to a work party.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3262 on: November 16, 2016, 12:09:17 PM »
This is probably more of a "you know you're mustashian when" problem but I think it's hilarious. Yesterday my office told us all about the company Christmas party being held in 10 days. The short notice means that I already have plans. My plans include cleaning horse stalls in exchange for free riding time.

ToothCarpenter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3263 on: November 16, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
A tourist approached me on the street asking where the best women's boutiques were in my city. I had nothing to even suggest because all my clothes come from Goodwill.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3264 on: November 16, 2016, 04:56:51 PM »
A tourist approached me on the street asking where the best women's boutiques were in my city. I had nothing to even suggest because all my clothes come from Goodwill.

I think this says you dress well though!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #3265 on: November 16, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
Went to the store to purchase some items.

Go to the check out and saw that I had to pay 10 cents for a shopping bag.

Realized that walking to the store made things a bit trickier.

I said screw it. I was going to carry all the stuff home.

My wife wasn't too happy as she wanted to buy a bag. 

She carried one of the items, I carried the rest of them.  Nice exercise though.  The baby shampoo bottle did start to wear a lot more as time went on, haha
Just here to feel guilty about my purchases which are often irrational, wants, and in an atypical budget.

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3266 on: November 16, 2016, 08:08:02 PM »

Well, tell her you get them at this "trendy"  "exclusive" "vintage" "Socially conscious" "upcycling" place and give her directions.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3267 on: November 16, 2016, 11:32:42 PM »
Went to the store to purchase some items.

Go to the check out and saw that I had to pay 10 cents for a shopping bag.

Realized that walking to the store made things a bit trickier.

I said screw it. I was going to carry all the stuff home.

My wife wasn't too happy as she wanted to buy a bag. 

She carried one of the items, I carried the rest of them.  Nice exercise though.  The baby shampoo bottle did start to wear a lot more as time went on, haha

We do this sometimes when we only buy a few items and only need to carry it towards the car. But I normally carry 2 reusable shopping bags in my handbag and use them most of the time when I shop.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3268 on: November 17, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »
So you didnt show the way to Goodwill???

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3269 on: November 17, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »

Is there a difference?

ToothCarpenter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3270 on: November 17, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »
So you didnt show the way to Goodwill???

Nope. My little secret :)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #3271 on: November 17, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »

Went to the thrift store again because I *really* need a robe de chambre, but I didn't manage to get myself to spend that money. I can use a hospital vest, no? 
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3272 on: November 17, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »

Went to the thrift store again because I *really* need a robe de chambre, but I didn't manage to get myself to spend that money. I can use a hospital vest, no?

Do you sew at all and have an old sheet? There are some fairly simple DIY robe instructions out there. I'm considering making one out of a linen table cloth I have...

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3273 on: November 17, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

Do you sew at all and have an old sheet? There are some fairly simple DIY robe instructions out there. I'm considering making one out of a linen table cloth I have...

That's funny - it reminds me of being a teenager, when I lived in a remote, isolated village where it was very hard to buy anything. I got a job at the cafe in the general store, but needed to provide my own aprons, and nobody in town sold any (plus I didn't have any money, hence the job). My mom was able to sew me a couple from an old bedsheet and an old pillowcase, and they actually looked pretty good - I got compliments on them from customers all the time.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #3274 on: November 17, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »

That's actually a good idea... I do have a machine, but I never actually used it yet. It will probably come out crap... then again, is to be used a couple of days, then just around the house... I might give it a try!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3275 on: November 17, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »

That's actually a good idea... I do have a machine, but I never actually used it yet. It will probably come out crap... then again, is to be used a couple of days, then just around the house... I might give it a try!

I should have just included this in my first response, but here is a pretty thorough diy.  I haven't used it, but it looks like her instructions are clear. http://mellysews.com/2014/12/sew-robe-easy-tutorial.html

Here is one with a printable pattern. http://www.sewitalltv.com/episodes/series_900/episode_906.html

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3276 on: November 17, 2016, 04:25:20 PM »

Is there a difference?

One can be a very nice fertilizer....
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3277 on: November 17, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »

Is there a difference?

One can be a very nice fertilizer....

And with one you can tell when you've finished and have a horseshit-free area....

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #3278 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:13 AM »

I think this says you dress well though!

I had sort of the same thing with one of my colleagues last year. She asked me where I buy my clothing because she needed new things. The look on her face when I told her my clothes are mainly second-hand! ;)

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #3279 on: November 18, 2016, 06:13:33 AM »
I over-contributed to my RRSPs.... again.

My company matches contributions and it comes off automatically from my paycheque.  This is my second time over-contributing after returning from mat leave, where my contribution room is lower due to my earnings in the previous year being lower.  The first time I did it, it just didn't occur to me that I would have less room to contribute.  I just went on auto-pilot and contributed the max all year long.  I was a real headache to sort out with the Canada Revenue Agency, but I didn't have to pay any fees due to a 2K grace zone. 

But, I did it again.  This time I blame changing phones.  I had alerts set up on my old phone to remind me to check my contributions.  But then I inherited DH's old phone and didn't transfer the alerts.  So I over-contributed again (over 2K and I know I'll have to pay a fine :(

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #3280 on: November 18, 2016, 06:58:21 AM »

My company matches contributions and it comes off automatically from my paycheque.  This is my second time over-contributing after returning from mat leave, where my contribution room is lower due to my earnings in the previous year being lower.  The first time I did it, it just didn't occur to me that I would have less room to contribute.  I just went on auto-pilot and contributed the max all year long.  I was a real headache to sort out with the Canada Revenue Agency, but I didn't have to pay any fees due to a 2K grace zone. 

But, I did it again.  This time I blame changing phones.  I had alerts set up on my old phone to remind me to check my contributions.  But then I inherited DH's old phone and didn't transfer the alerts.  So I over-contributed again (over 2K and I know I'll have to pay a fine :(

Awww that sucks! A few years ago I made a mess on my TFSA (closed the one in the bank and opened one with Investors Group) and I had to pay over 800$ of penalty... I was so fucking MAD at myself tor such a silly mistake what costed me so much! Then again, I reminded myself I could take the hit, so it's to file under "Live and learn". 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #3281 on: November 18, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »

I should have just included this in my first response, but here is a pretty thorough diy.  I haven't used it, but it looks like her instructions are clear. http://mellysews.com/2014/12/sew-robe-easy-tutorial.html

Here is one with a printable pattern. http://www.sewitalltv.com/episodes/series_900/episode_906.html

Thank you, it looks super easy! Now I'll look into how cheap can I find the fabric...

TrMama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3282 on: November 18, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »

Awww that sucks! A few years ago I made a mess on my TFSA (closed the one in the bank and opened one with Investors Group) and I had to pay over 800$ of penalty... I was so fucking MAD at myself tor such a silly mistake what costed me so much! Then again, I reminded myself I could take the hit, so it's to file under "Live and learn".

Ouch! I did something similar just last month. Mine was due to one large transaction and I realized my math failure within a couple of days. I called TD and they were able to magically reverse the transaction. Can you try calling the bank and claim to be not very bright? It's hard on the ego, but easier on the stash.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3283 on: November 18, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »
I'm going to find out at the end of December if DH's new company will stop the 401-K contributions at the federal limit.  If they don't he will over-contribute by like $50.  I'm hoping since this is a large company that they actually know what to do in this situation!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #3284 on: November 18, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »
All this talk of excess contributions reminds me, I COMPLETELY forgot to change my biweekly contribution to TSP from $693 to $692 earlier this year, like I was supposed to... and it takes so long to process those changes that I can't do anything now. I am doomed to overcontribute by $18, according to my math. Now I have to figure out if it's worth the time to fill out all that ridiculous paperwork just to get it back....
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3285 on: November 18, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
All this talk of excess contributions reminds me, I COMPLETELY forgot to change my biweekly contribution to TSP from $693 to $692 earlier this year, like I was supposed to... and it takes so long to process those changes that I can't do anything now. I am doomed to overcontribute by $18, according to my math. Now I have to figure out if it's worth the time to fill out all that ridiculous paperwork just to get it back....

TSP contributions are automatically cut off at the limit (I always set mine up to over-contribute rather than under-contribute, and it's never been a problem), provided you are reaching the limit all in one type of TSP.  If you contribute to both civilian and uniformed accounts, it's up to you to make sure the combined total doesn't exceed the cap.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3286 on: November 19, 2016, 08:53:04 AM »
We qualify for a $50 rebate on the thermostat we just installed form our energy counsel! Unfortunately, part of the documentation they want is work orders from a contractor who did the install, and proof we paid the contractor in full. We DIY'd the install... hope it still goes through! =o
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3287 on: November 19, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »
I didn't get an eBates payment for last quarter because I didn't do enough online shopping to accumulate the $5 minimum to pay out.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3288 on: November 19, 2016, 06:11:22 PM »
Got a stack of formula coupons in the mail. Can't use them as we get all of our formula for free.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3289 on: November 19, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
Got a stack of formula coupons in the mail. Can't use them as we get all of our formula for free.

Gift those through your local Buy Nothing Group! They are a hot item, haha.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3290 on: November 20, 2016, 03:00:20 AM »
wtf is formula?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3291 on: November 20, 2016, 03:16:17 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

They don't have it on your planet?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3292 on: November 20, 2016, 03:24:27 AM »

Gift those through your local Buy Nothing Group! They are a hot item, haha.

Good idea. I've been hoarding them, but it looks like we are on track to need to purchase little, if any formula for the first year.

MustacheMathTM

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3293 on: November 22, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

Don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out too.  When you think about it, it's really a strange name for baby food powder. 

Sometimes I wonder why we call the dishwasher a dishwasher and not a washing machine.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3294 on: November 22, 2016, 06:26:31 PM »

If it is not too much over, you can fill out a form to ask nicely for the fine to be waived,... they actually do this for an innocent error with a good reason why it was unintentional...

I ran into this last year and it was a pain..

If your CRA My Account balance or notice of assessment shows that you have exceeded the limits and owe taxes on excess contributions to an RRSP, then resolving the situation involves filing a tax form and paying the penalty tax or asking the CRA for a waiver. To report and pay the tax, file the Individual Tax Return for RRSP Excess Contributions, Form T1-OVP. To ask for a waiver, you must show that the excess contributions were an honest mistake and that you are making an effort to remove the over-contributions. The CRA will ask you to explain why you contributed too much. If you removed the excess, provide documentation, such as statements from your RRSP showing the withdrawals.  https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resources/retirement-taxes/how-to-resolve-rrsp-over-contributions.jsp

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3295 on: November 23, 2016, 04:39:21 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

Don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out too.  When you think about it, it's really a strange name for baby food powder. 

Sometimes I wonder why we call the dishwasher a dishwasher and not a washing machine.

*Sigh* I'm starting to feel old when I post on the internet about good deals I get on baby food, and there are suddenly people who have no idea what I'm talking about. :( Is it really all downhill after your mid-twenties?

MustacheMathTM

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3296 on: November 23, 2016, 05:55:46 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

*Sigh* I'm starting to feel old when I post on the internet about good deals I get on baby food, and there are suddenly people who have no idea what I'm talking about. :( Is it really all downhill after your mid-twenties?

They have it on my planet, but in my part of the globe we call that Milchpulver and Babynahrung. Which I have never bought anyway.
I only know the word formula from formulas, like in chemistry or math.
Ah, on that topic, since I just read it on the Overheard thread: Can you imagine my confusion when I first read the word "baby shower" in connection to some unknown brand names (and fairly solid stuff) to bring?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:59:16 AM by LennStar »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3297 on: November 23, 2016, 06:09:01 AM »
They have it on my planet, but in my part of the globe we call that Milchpulver and Babynahrung. Which I have never bought anyway.
Ah, on that topic, since I just read it on the Overheard thread: Can you imagine my confusion when I first read the word "baby shower" in connection to some unknown brand names (and fairly solid stuff) to bring?

Ha! Yeah, taken in a literal context, it would be a pretty strange group ritual. Maybe it still is!

MustacheMathTM

With This Herring

• Pencil Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3298 on: November 23, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »
wtf is formula?

Milk powder. Baby food.

If you're ever looking for a tagline on the forum... "Don't let my perfect English deceive you; I am actually German."  :)
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3299 on: November 23, 2016, 02:01:25 PM »
this will be our son's first xmas. I have been hounded for the last couple of months about what our son needs/wants for xmas. I've told them "money for college". Everybody just laughs at me.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford