Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086861 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1200 on: May 04, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »
be careful with dry ice. It is, afer all, sorty-of poison.

I think you are thinking of carbon MONOxide, not carbon DIoxide. Different beasts =)
Ever tried to breath in a room full of only carbon dioxide? ;)

That doesn't make it poison though. Just don't put dry ice in a bag and seal it around your head. Also, just don't seal a bag around your head. Doesn't make the bag poison, just makes you a darwin award recipient.

I don't know the technical definition of poison, but co2 is definitely something your body tries very hard to get rid of.  So I'll give it a pass on "sorry-of" poison since I think it's a funny phrase.  But yeah it's not particularly dangerous.  Don't take a nap on the floor in a room full of dry ice

WaRpBeast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Denver RPG Meetup
« Reply #1201 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »
Since I ride the bike so often I tend to not know if I have my wallet on me.

I have 3 bike lock keys that live on my keychain but the car key lives in a drawer. 

My biggest free time consumer this month is turning over two of my rental units.

Property tax assessments came in ~30% higher than 2 years ago--for all of my properties.

My company has "wellness challenges" for physical, emotional, and financial wellness.  This month's challenge is to cut unhealthy costs like buying soda, fast food, and cigarettes--I wasn't sure how to participate.   

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1202 on: May 04, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »

I think you are thinking of carbon MONOxide, not carbon DIoxide. Different beasts =)

That doesn't make it poison though. Just don't put dry ice in a bag and seal it around your head. Also, just don't seal a bag around your head. Doesn't make the bag poison, just makes you a darwin award recipient.

I don't know the technical definition of poison, but co2 is definitely something your body tries very hard to get rid of.  So I'll give it a pass on "sorry-of" poison since I think it's a funny phrase.  But yeah it's not particularly dangerous.  Don't take a nap on the floor in a room full of dry ice

its not poison.  thats just a lack of oxygen.  a lack of oxygen due to over abudance of another element doesnt make that element poison.  ie space isnt poison b/c there isnt any o2 to breathe. 

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1203 on: May 04, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »

CO2is a byproduct of respiration and metabolism, and proper proportions are required. You're body is getting rid of it in unison with it's intake of oxygen. Without CO2 production you would have no requirement to breath. It is the waste product of used oxygen and other cellular function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoxic_drive

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1204 on: May 04, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »

its not poison.  thats just a lack of oxygen.  a lack of oxygen due to over abudance of another element doesnt make that element poison.  ie space isnt poison b/c there isnt any o2 to breathe.

It's not just a lack of oxygen, to much co2 in the bloodstream is toxic

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1205 on: May 04, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
He said 'wait till you have kids,' you'll change your mind. I said, 'no, we won't. We'll be in the city. Everything is accessible by public transit, walking, biking, uber, buses, or taxis.' He said just wait till you have a sick kid at 2 am and you can't drive to the hospital in your car. I told him a once-in-a-blue moon occurence does not necessitate the purchase of a car.

I know this one well. We live in London and have not owned a car since moving here.

People always thought I was mad and told me "wait until you have a kid". Now we have a 2 yo daughter and still don't have a car. So people switched to saying "wait until you have TWO kids!". So now my wife is pregnant and the 2nd is due in July and guess what, we're STILL not going to get a car!

People just don't realise that if you organise your life so that you use the (millions of!!) facilities that are within walking distance of home then you don't actually NEED a car at all. We do cycle a lot now but I expect that with two kids that will become more difficult, although we may get a cargo bike at some point. Irrespective, we can walk to most things and take a bus or the tube otherwise. If REALLY desperate we can get a taxi in ten minutes!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1206 on: May 04, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »
Speaking of gases, my refrigerator/freezer issue was a freon leak. The repairman fixed the leak today and I've got cool air circulating now.

In my attempt to transport all of my freezer and refrigerator food to my parents' house, I ended up getting rid of some old stuff in the freezer. So some food was thrown out, but I was able to save most of it.

Now I am instituting a new way of "organizing" my freezer by creating a spreadsheet with the freezer items and their freezed-on date. I label the stuff in the freezer, but since it is stuffed with food I have to forage around to find stuff and find if it's still there. With the spreadsheet, I can better plan my meals to use up the oldest stuff first.

So this mustachian people problem had a happy ending.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1207 on: May 04, 2015, 07:11:31 PM »
I never used to be impatient to get paid, until I started saving seriously! Now I can't wait to see my balance go up.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1208 on: May 04, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »

My company has "wellness challenges" for physical, emotional, and financial wellness.  This month's challenge is to cut unhealthy costs like buying soda, fast food, and cigarettes--I wasn't sure how to participate.

I can see this one being a problem for me! Love it.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #1209 on: May 04, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
Yesterday I used the wrong credit card when I bought gas. Now I will only earn 1.5% cash back instead of 3%.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1210 on: May 04, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
I never used to be impatient to get paid, until I started saving seriously! Now I can't wait to see my balance go up.
Lol I feel this way too. unlike everybody else I work with who need their paycheck right now . I need to see how much I get to throw at my investment accounts this month.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1211 on: May 04, 2015, 09:26:52 PM »
Lol I feel this way too. unlike everybody else I work with who need their paycheck right now . I need to see how much I get to throw at my investment accounts this month.

Me too!

Sometimes, I get impatient and update my spreadsheet the day before the paycheck comes because I just know I am getting paid that week and I know how much is going into my accounts.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1212 on: May 05, 2015, 05:14:41 AM »

You look at it wrongly. I woudl say: Hm... i do nothing of this - so I have already won! Where is my price, boss?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1213 on: May 05, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »

I'm the same way. Strange, isn't it?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1214 on: May 05, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »
Extension service to the rescue: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09357.html

That way it's not some random internet schmo's opinion. =D

Thanks for the link, it's an interesting read. I have a query though (and I'm not questioning the validity of the information, I just think I am not reading it correctly).

In the section "When Food is Safe to Refreeze" it says:
 "If food is safe to eat, it's safe to refreeze."

I don't understand this. If I had food in the freezer, and it thawed, I would eat it. Say I had a chicken breast. It was frozen, now it isn't. As long as it happened within a reasonable space of time, that food is safe to eat - it would be just as if I had taken the meat out of the freezer and left it to defrost on the counter (I'm in the UK, so air temperature is not an issue).

Now, that food - which is safe to eat - is not safe to refreeze, I don't believe. Food can be frozen and thawed safely only once, UNLESS you change it's state ie. cook it. Then it can be safely frozen and thawed once more.

What am I missing? I just can't make this (the phrase  "If food is safe to eat, it's safe to refreeze") make sense in my head, but I know that it is me, not them, if you know what I mean.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1215 on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:12 AM »
Extension service to the rescue: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09357.html

That way it's not some random internet schmo's opinion. =D

Thanks for the link, it's an interesting read. I have a query though (and I'm not questioning the validity of the information, I just think I am not reading it correctly).

In the section "When Food is Safe to Refreeze" it says:
 "If food is safe to eat, it's safe to refreeze."

I don't understand this. If I had food in the freezer, and it thawed, I would eat it. Say I had a chicken breast. It was frozen, now it isn't. As long as it happened within a reasonable space of time, that food is safe to eat - it would be just as if I had taken the meat out of the freezer and left it to defrost on the counter (I'm in the UK, so air temperature is not an issue).

Now, that food - which is safe to eat - is not safe to refreeze, I don't believe. Food can be frozen and thawed safely only once, UNLESS you change it's state ie. cook it. Then it can be safely frozen and thawed once more.

What am I missing? I just can't make this (the phrase  "If food is safe to eat, it's safe to refreeze") make sense in my head, but I know that it is me, not them, if you know what I mean.

Where do you get this from?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1216 on: May 05, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Dragoncar my mother just always drummed into me that you should never thaw something and then refreeze it, unless you cook it in between. Is that the missing link - that my original belief is wrong?

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1217 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
I think so, theadvicist. It doesn't make sense to me that freezing something edible would be bad.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1218 on: May 05, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
That's what my mom has said too. However, I've thawed and refrozen raw and cooked meats in the past with no problems. I think it can affect the texture, but that doesn't matter for how I usually cook.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1219 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
I think the issue is that if you thaw something *to room temperature*, then parts of the food may have stayed in the danger zone (above 40F) long enough to have some bacterial growth. But if that's the case, then you wouldn't be safe to eat it as-is, either; you'd need to cook it to render it safe(r) before eating or re-freezing.

OTOH, thawing to refrigerator temperature is fine, which is why they recommend actually thawing things in the fridge these days.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1220 on: May 05, 2015, 11:29:11 AM »
Dragoncar my mother just always drummed into me that you should never thaw something and then refreeze it, unless you cook it in between. Is that the missing link - that my original belief is wrong?
No, not really. But of course this is not about things that were out of the freezer for just half an hour.

First there are bacterias that grow even at lowest temperature.
Second you only think of the outer shell when thinking about frozen or not. But it takes quite a while for thinks to (re)freeze in the core. If you freeze something its at maybe -7°C, and thawing at maybe 21°C+ with (slighty) moving air. So physics side says freezing takes at least 3 times longer then thawing. That can be quite a time. If you froze meat, thaw it and freeze it again, the time may be too long.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1221 on: May 05, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »

Well you're kinda saying "My doctor just said you can get pregnant if you have unprotected sex.  However, I always heard that you can't get pregnant in a hot tub.  What am I missing?"

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: May 05, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »
I was $300 short of the net worth goal I thought I would hit this month. I can't complain to any of my friends that I only have $199,700.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1223 on: May 05, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »

Well you're kinda saying "My doctor just said you can get pregnant if you have unprotected sex.  However, I always heard that you can't get pregnant in a hot tub.  What am I missing?"

Not really - the article said if it's safe to eat, it's safe to refreeze. My mother said even if it's safe to eat, it's not safe to refreeze. That's two directly opposing statements.

Your example compares two different but not opposing statements.

My sources did say opposing things and since I trusted the source of the link, I questioned the validity of the other source (sorry Mother, but it's always good to question the things you previously unquestionably held as truth!).

WaRpBeast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Denver RPG Meetup
« Reply #1224 on: May 05, 2015, 03:08:08 PM »

You look at it wrongly. I woudl say: Hm... i do nothing of this - so I have already won! Where is my price, boss?

Yep!  I ended up saying I was doing the challenge by turning over my two rental properties this month and planning to do all the cleaning and fix ups myself.  The expense of paying someone else to do it would be "unhealthy" right?  ;)

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #1225 on: May 05, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
When the lunchtime conversation turns to expensive vacations, new SUVs, and credit card debt, I just sit there like a lump. :)

seriously really a issue for me at work. I explain FI then i get these looks. i hear after the fact that i am "full of myself" and "think i am better then everyone"

PAstash

• Stubble
« Reply #1226 on: May 05, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
I save so much money, I have to use taxable accounts.

+2

When I'm feeling down, retail therapy doesn't make me feel better any more.

in fact it when you have to buy things it makes you feel worse =D

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #1227 on: May 05, 2015, 03:49:43 PM »
When the lunchtime conversation turns to expensive vacations, new SUVs, and credit card debt, I just sit there like a lump. :)

seriously really a issue for me at work. I explain FI then i get these looks. i hear after the fact that i am "full of myself" and "think i am better then everyone"

I love how it's ok to brag about spending money like a drunken sailor while trying to one-up each other on status symbols, but as soon as you hint in any way that you save money, the 'you think you're better than us' attitude comes out.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1228 on: May 05, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
So guy at work planning 6 week vacation this winter to Australia. That's cool. Problem for him is that he hasn't saved for it yet and I dunno if he will. I said how awesome it is to have a 6 week vacation (though he has to work 1 day a week to do it). I said I was a little burnt out and couldn't wait for my trip to Canada. He reminded me that I would be retiring by 40, to which I smiled and replied that I would hike the Appalachian trail as soon as I retired.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1229 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »

I love how it's ok to brag about spending money like a drunken sailor while trying to one-up each other on status symbols, but as soon as you hint in any way that you save money, the 'you think you're better than us' attitude comes out.

Yup.   I was talking to a very good friend of mine about how DH has picked up a PT job (before he has been FT SAHD) and I mentioned that while he isn't paid much for it, he's really interested in it, and all the money's just going straight into our investment account anyway.   She seriously made a face at that, and I realized that I shouldn't have mentioned the investment account part.   

If I had said the exact same thing, but just ended it with "and all the money's going towards saving for a super fancy minivan" I'm 100% I wouldn't have gotten the face.   I probably would've gotten a "good for you, saving."   So, mentioning that you clearly have enough money to blow on something stupid like an un-needed car's okay, but mention that you're just socking it into investments?-taboo.

And this is probably my best current friend :(   I love her, but don't feel like I have anyone who really relates.

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1230 on: May 05, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
People think I'm 'obssessed' with not spending money because I want to get my finances in order and start investing more aggressively. When I retire earlier than most maybe then they'll understand.

I get this all the time. It's extremely irritating. It's gotten so bad that I have started cutting off some of my former friends because I find them too un-accepting about my lifestyle choices. I don't bother them about their lifestyle choices, why should they bother me? It's ok. I'm an introvert anyway, so cutting people out of my life is not concerning to me.

It's still bothersome though to always have to apparently explain myself to everyone. My wife's family is particularly bad for this. They seem to think my wife is treated poorly because we have agreed to not waste our money on frivolous spending.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1231 on: May 05, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »

I don't think I've heard that before. The only concern would be if it thawed and stayed that way to the point of spoiling, AFAIK.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1232 on: May 05, 2015, 11:47:28 PM »
I was $300 short of the net worth goal I thought I would hit this month. I can't complain to any of my friends that I only have $199,700.

Congrats on your $199,700, sheepstache! That's truly awesome. :)

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #1233 on: May 06, 2015, 12:33:03 AM »

Not really - the article said if it's safe to eat, it's safe to refreeze. My mother said even if it's safe to eat, it's not safe to refreeze. That's two directly opposing statements.

Your example compares two different but not opposing statements.

My sources did say opposing things and since I trusted the source of the link, I questioned the validity of the other source (sorry Mother, but it's always good to question the things you previously unquestionably held as truth!).
My mother also always said that food can only be safely frozen once. Never made any sense to me either. The statement "it is save to refreeze if and only if it is safe to eat" makes much more sense. But I will investigate further, as soon as I have the time. Typically, these things can be solved relatively quickly using the power of the InterWebs.

Pooja Sharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1234 on: May 06, 2015, 05:40:38 AM »
I have 3 problems:

1)I have to go to shopping but have no interest and time as well
2)My friends are so mean, they had a night out and nobody asked me for once
3)I want to go for a long vacation away from every known to visit into an unknown world

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:42:46 AM by pooja.majorgainz »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1235 on: May 06, 2015, 06:43:46 AM »
My coworkers are talking about how awesome it was to refinance their houses for another 30 year term and pull out the current equity in cash. I paid off my mortgage 20 years early, so I have nothing to contribute to the conversation.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #1236 on: May 06, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
1)I have to go to shopping but have no interest and time as well
I totally get this. I freaking hate shopping! It takes up time and afterwards I end up with less money in my stash. What would that possibly be good for?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1237 on: May 06, 2015, 08:40:15 AM »
I need to replace some of my work wardrobe for spring/summer. I'm the wrong age and size to find much in the local Goodwill store, based on what I typically see there. Hopefully I'll be able to find some of the list at least.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1238 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »
I need to replace some of my work wardrobe for spring/summer. I'm the wrong age and size to find much in the local Goodwill store, based on what I typically see there. Hopefully I'll be able to find some of the list at least.

I run into that problem as well. Thrift stores are great for t-shirts and stuff, but I've never found work clothing that fits me.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1239 on: May 06, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »

Congrats on your $199,700, sheepstache! That's truly awesome. :)

Hee hee, thank you, jengod.

If I had said the exact same thing, but just ended it with "and all the money's going towards saving for a super fancy minivan" I'm 100% I wouldn't have gotten the face.   I probably would've gotten a "good for you, saving."   So, mentioning that you clearly have enough money to blow on something stupid like an un-needed car's okay, but mention that you're just socking it into investments?-taboo.

Yeah, really interesting observation.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1240 on: May 07, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
I want my tax refund to be deposited already so that I can take my mortgage amortization below our magic number so that we will be done paying the mortgage before this term is up. 

The original mortgage was a 5 year fixed with 25 years amortization.  We renewed at 5 years variable with 10 years amortization.  Once this is done, we'll turbo-charge the investing so that we're comfortably FI (right now we're covered for variable expenses, but not property tax, travel or home maintenance), and then we'll blow a bunch of money on an indulgent kitchen (moving the backyard door to a logical location, venting the stove to the outside, etc.) & main floor structural overhaul.

(I had been considering doing the kitchen reno first with the firehose of extra cashflow, but recently gave myself a slap upside the head and the SO is aligned to get the investments in shape first.) 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1241 on: May 07, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
I'm the same way. The likelihood of something fitting me is so small, the payoff to digging through tons of stuff just isn't there. I've had better luck with consignment stores, possibly because they carry more of the brands that fit me bettter.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #1242 on: May 08, 2015, 02:29:35 AM »
People are always saying I 'need to' buy a new TV and if I give the answer 'but it's not broken' and 'I don't really use it a lot anyway' that only makes it worse.. People look at me like I'm crazy..

Hoosier Daddy

• Stubble
  • Indiana Hoosiers: 5 Banners and counting
« Reply #1243 on: May 08, 2015, 03:43:21 AM »
I can no longer see a giant house with a huge truck, giant boat, and ridiculous-sized camper out front without wondering how much the people who 'own' them owe.

+1

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #1244 on: May 08, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
My threats to frivolously waste money are no longer credible.

Joking around with wife this morning...

Me: I don't want to go to work. I think I'll quit. You should keep working though. I'll just be a kept man and make you give me a giant allowance.

Wife: Allowance? Pffft, whatever, you don't even spend any money. You'd probably just use it buy more Vanguard VT-Whatever.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1245 on: May 08, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
People are always saying I 'need to' buy a new TV and if I give the answer 'but it's not broken' and 'I don't really use it a lot anyway' that only makes it worse.. People look at me like I'm crazy..
Yeah. I had an old CRT television until last year. I was moving and everyone started telling me it was a perfect time to upgrade to a new TV so I wouldn't have to move the behemoth. I had to explain that I hadn't even turned it on in many months and rather than upgrade to a new one, I was upgrading to not having a television at all.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1246 on: May 08, 2015, 12:49:46 PM »
I had to buy a new vacuum last week and conveniently had a 30% off thing for Kohls. So I went and got a great deal on a nice vacuum and got $30 in Kohl's cash. I went back last night to use it and only spent $20 of it since I couldn't find anything else worth getting to use up the last $10

Socks!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1247 on: May 09, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »
I had a major internal debate yesterday over whether to buy a $4 used copy of "The Tightwad Gazette", hardbound in perfect condition. I'd gotten it from the library previously and enjoyed parts of it.

The things we fret over at times!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1248 on: May 09, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
My threats to frivolously waste money are no longer credible.

Joking around with wife this morning...

Me: I don't want to go to work. I think I'll quit. You should keep working though. I'll just be a kept man and make you give me a giant allowance.

Wife: Allowance? Pffft, whatever, you don't even spend any money. You'd probably just use it buy more Vanguard VT-Whatever.

HA

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1249 on: May 09, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
I had a major internal debate yesterday over whether to buy a $4 used copy of "The Tightwad Gazette", hardbound in perfect condition. I'd gotten it from the library previously and enjoyed parts of it.

The things we fret over at times!

Seems like this would be one of those times that MMM would say to buy it and the worrying is missing the forest for the trees.

But, I don't know your personal situation!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!