Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1066946 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1500 on: July 06, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
Some also keep a 200 mile running average, at least mine does, it won't track it for an entire tank. That means that if you're getting really good mileage at the beginning of the tank that will stay on through about half tank. After you get past a set amount it starts getting truncated off. Your really good numbers from the very start of your tank are replaced with worse miles further into your tank.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1501 on: July 06, 2015, 12:08:15 PM »
When  you fill up your tank your car is generally warmed up and at peak efficiency. This will offset your numbers high especially if it's an in town gas station and you aren't exceeding 45mph and have few stops before you're home. After that it will be drug down from cold starts.

But I'm not comparing the beginning of the tank. I'm comparing what math tells me when I fill up the tank, to what the read out says after 3-4 weeks of driving when I fill up the tank again.  So it isn't just calculating at peak efficiency, it is calculating the 200-400 miles since I last reset the counter.

Mine definitely counts idle time; it ticks down if I get stuck in traffic and don't move. That is one thing I love about my husband's car (it's a hybrid) - his ticks UP the longer we get stuck.

I don't have instantaneous readout- so it doesn't tell me what I am getting that second, just over time since I reset it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1502 on: July 06, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »
When  you fill up your tank your car is generally warmed up and at peak efficiency. This will offset your numbers high especially if it's an in town gas station and you aren't exceeding 45mph and have few stops before you're home. After that it will be drug down from cold starts.

But I'm not comparing the beginning of the tank. I'm comparing what math tells me when I fill up the tank, to what the read out says after 3-4 weeks of driving when I fill up the tank again.  So it isn't just calculating at peak efficiency, it is calculating the 200-400 miles since I last reset the counter.

Mine definitely counts idle time; it ticks down if I get stuck in traffic and don't move. That is one thing I love about my husband's car (it's a hybrid) - his ticks UP the longer we get stuck.

I don't have instantaneous readout- so it doesn't tell me what I am getting that second, just over time since I reset it.

You can get near-instantaneous readout by resetting it and seeing what it says.  I've used this to, for example, set my cruise control to 70-MPH on a long flat highway and hit reset.  It says 40 MPG.  Then I set it to 65-MPH and hit reset.  It says 45 MPH (numbers made up for illustrative purposes).  Then I start calculating how much more it will cost me to get there X hours earlier. 

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1503 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:09 PM »

You can get near-instantaneous readout by resetting it and seeing what it says.  I've used this to, for example, set my cruise control to 70-MPH on a long flat highway and hit reset.  It says 40 MPG.  Then I set it to 65-MPH and hit reset.  It says 45 MPH (numbers made up for illustrative purposes).  Then I start calculating how much more it will cost me to get there X hours earlier.

Yeah, but unlike my trip counters, I only have one mpg counter, so I'd have to give up the tank reading to "test" it that way.

I test drove a few cars that had instantaneous ones AND long term ones.  Those seemed fun, but man, it just seemed like something to get obsessive about...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1504 on: July 06, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »

Yeah, but unlike my trip counters, I only have one mpg counter, so I'd have to give up the tank reading to "test" it that way.

I test drove a few cars that had instantaneous ones AND long term ones.  Those seemed fun, but man, it just seemed like something to get obsessive about...

Mine has both instantaneous AND average MPG. I guess it is obsessive because I'm the one that started this little discussion... ;-)

I suppose I could check the instantaneous MPG while driving a particular speed at different levels of tank fullness to run my experiment. I was hoping some car expert here would save me from that drudgery and let me know if there was any fuel efficiency differences for full vs half vs empty tanks.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1505 on: July 06, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

So?  You know you can also calculate your tank MPG using basic math?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1506 on: July 06, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »

This.

Some of you guys are hilarious. I don't have a "fancy car" with a MPG readout, but I do jot down the odometer value at every gas fillup. Then I use the gallons of fuel bought to compute average MPG over the interval.
Of course, this means that at the rate I drive, between 10/05/14 and 6/12/15, I only have 4 MPG readings, but that's okay.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #1507 on: July 06, 2015, 04:56:46 PM »

This.

Some of you guys are hilarious. I don't have a "fancy car" with a MPG readout, but I do jot down the odometer value at every gas fillup. Then I use the gallons of fuel bought to compute average MPG over the interval.
Of course, this means that at the rate I drive, between 10/05/14 and 6/12/15, I only have 4 MPG readings, but that's okay.

For those not organized enough to keep a notebook in the car, just reset the trip odometer next time you fill up. Every time thereafter, you can look at the amount you just pumped and the trip odometer, and get a quick MPG. Then reset the trip odometer again until the next fill up.

I usually just do a rough division in my head to make sure it's not too far out of whack. I figure it's probably not incredibly precise anyway, because the point where the auto-fill thingie clicks off is (I assume) not perfectly consistent between different gas pumps.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1508 on: July 06, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »

This.

For those not organized enough to keep a notebook in the car, just reset the trip odometer next time you fill up. Every time thereafter, you can look at the amount you just pumped and the trip odometer, and get a quick MPG. Then reset the trip odometer again until the next fill up.

I usually just do a rough division in my head to make sure it's not too far out of whack. I figure it's probably not incredibly precise anyway, because the point where the auto-fill thingie clicks off is (I assume) not perfectly consistent between different gas pumps.

I don't keep a notebook, but I do keep a pen in the car (handy in other situations too) and I just write down the odometer value on the receipt (which I need anyway to get the gallons filled).

But your way works too =)

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #1509 on: July 06, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »
I needed to replace my car for one with better gas mileage to commute to my new job (plus the car was falling apart and costing an arm and a leg), but that meant trading it in with negative equity from the loan still on it. Because of that I wasn't able to get the cheap used car I wanted because the negative equity was too high to roll into a loan on a used car. I was forced to either keep my car or buy a new car, so I had to go with the new one. I got a 2015 Corolla with the lowest possible package with zero added features and it still nearly tripled my car loan and I was left feeling very bitter about the whole thing. Now I have to pretend to love my new car as if I wanted to buy it in the first place because no one understands why I would possibly desire a used car over a new car or why I'm so angry about having to add 12 months to my debt clearing timeline.

Sidenote: New cars these days are RIDICULOUS. These days Bluetooth and touch screens are standard features now! I just wanted to remove them to reduce the price of the car! I wish for the old days when even air conditioning was optional so you could get as barebones a car as you please.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #1510 on: July 06, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »
My folks think that I'm deliberately depriving myself to save money. The faces they make when I talk about experimenting with cheap cuts of meat like kidney are impressive. I was over at their place for dinner recently and screwed up the instant gravy. Mum asked if I was being frugal. No, I'm not making watery gravy to save money; I just suck at estimating things by eye.

It's like there's no middle ground between 'I'm going to buy a used car for cash' and 'I'm going to sleep on the dirt and eat rocks'. It's irritating, because most of my reasons for cutting my consumption are environmental (no, I'm not going to turn on the heat when I can put on a damn jumper and some socks instead) but I can't talk about that without sounding like I'm starving myself for a few cents.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1511 on: July 07, 2015, 03:07:17 AM »
My folks think that I'm deliberately depriving myself to save money. The faces they make when I talk about experimenting with cheap cuts of meat like kidney are impressive. I was over at their place for dinner recently and screwed up the instant gravy. Mum asked if I was being frugal. No, I'm not making watery gravy to save money; I just suck at estimating things by eye.

It's like there's no middle ground between 'I'm going to buy a used car for cash' and 'I'm going to sleep on the dirt and eat rocks'. It's irritating, because most of my reasons for cutting my consumption are environmental (no, I'm not going to turn on the heat when I can put on a damn jumper and some socks instead) but I can't talk about that without sounding like I'm starving myself for a few cents.

I wonder if maybe you've been talking about frugality a lot? No zealot like a convert, as they say!

Since finding MMM I haven't mentioned it to anyone. Just changed my own habits. And you know what? I've cut spending drastically... and no-one has noticed. At all. It's kind of crazy how little attention other people actually pay vs. what we perceive they pay.

Also, years ago when my mother commented on the fact I split my dishwasher tablets in half (which was to save money, but she was implying I was being oh so cheap and stingy!), I just told her, "oh, a whole tablet seams to leave residue" and that was a very acceptable answer to her. So maybe make changes and don't talk about the cost saving, but other benefits (eg environmental), but only when asked (which may well be never).

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #1512 on: July 07, 2015, 03:33:37 AM »
Also, years ago when my mother commented on the fact I split my dishwasher tablets in half (which was to save money, but she was implying I was being oh so cheap and stingy!), I just told her, "oh, a whole tablet seams to leave residue" and that was a very acceptable answer to her. So maybe make changes and don't talk about the cost saving, but other benefits (eg environmental), but only when asked (which may well be never).

Isn't it weird how many people seem to see frugality as an inherently bad thing? If you do X in order to save money, you are "depriving yourself", if you do X for the environment or in order to become healthy or whatever, it is perfectly fine.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1513 on: July 07, 2015, 05:24:26 AM »

Isn't it weird how many people seem to see frugality as an inherently bad thing? If you do X in order to save money, you are "depriving yourself", if you do X for the environment or in order to become healthy or whatever, it is perfectly fine.

I know! It's so strange. I think a lot of people have hang-ups about money and don't like other people to think that they don't have any, and then project that.

I know people think we don't have much money because they are always commenting on our outdated electronics and trying to give us their cast-offs. But I don't mind them thinking that, I know the truth :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1514 on: July 07, 2015, 06:47:53 AM »

I know! It's so strange. I think a lot of people have hang-ups about money and don't like other people to think that they don't have any, and then project that.

I know people think we don't have much money because they are always commenting on our outdated electronics and trying to give us their cast-offs. But I don't mind them thinking that, I know the truth :)

I agree.

Since I've been trying to be more frugal I have noticed the type of comments people make about money.

There are a lot of remarks I've noticed implying that rich people are crooks, as if being wealthy must mean you are doing something unethical.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1515 on: July 07, 2015, 07:08:54 AM »

Did you read any of my posts? It is clear I do this. (Since I was comparing the calculated value to the car readout!) In fact, I have the notebooks from 1998, where I have done this with every tank of gas I have ever purchased, I use excel now though.   In addition to MPG, I also like to know my cents per mile.   However, one of the things I track is to compare how the car readout compares to my calculated readout. If I reset it midtank, I would have to give up that reading.  Then my spreadsheet isn't complete anymore.

I don't keep a notebook, but I do keep a pen in the car (handy in other situations too) and I just write down the odometer value on the receipt (which I need anyway to get the gallons filled).

I generally do this, but when my pen is missing, I just take a photo of the odometer with my phone.
My current car also tracks average speed, which is better than me trying to estimate city/highway. So I add that to the spreadsheet now too.  My spreadsheet also says what the general weather was like (my mileage is obviously worse in the winter.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:11:19 AM by iowajes »

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
  • We are all strong, handsome and above average
« Reply #1516 on: July 07, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »

Did you read any of my posts? It is clear I do this. (Since I was comparing the calculated value to the car readout!) In fact, I have the notebooks from 1998, where I have done this with every tank of gas I have ever purchased, I use excel now though.   In addition to MPG, I also like to know my cents per mile.   However, one of the things I track is to compare how the car readout compares to my calculated readout. If I reset it midtank, I would have to give up that reading.  Then my spreadsheet isn't complete anymore.

I generally do this, but when my pen is missing, I just take a photo of the odometer with my phone.
My current car also tracks average speed, which is better than me trying to estimate city/highway. So I add that to the spreadsheet now too.  My spreadsheet also says what the general weather was like (my mileage is obviously worse in the winter.)

I just added a new columns to my spreadsheet since I know MMM, the cost/year and gallons/year. I bike a lot more, especially for short distances. Drive about 40% less km/year. Overall, my MPG is not that good but transportation cost/year is down by 4k$ (including repairs, depreciation etc) and we use 200 gallons less than before MMM.
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #1517 on: July 07, 2015, 08:14:56 AM »
A local gas station gives out packs of toilet paper or paper towels on Wednesdays when you spend $20. We miss out on the freebies much of the time because our Prius doesn't burn through gas fast enough.
Loving the early retired life!
MORE WITH LESS

www.loosechangeliving.com

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1518 on: July 07, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »
I earned 2000 Kroger fuel points last month for buying a $500 eBay gift card which I will use for some gift card churning.

But I can't use them all! I used up 1000 points in a single fillup last month for $1 off per gallon - this is the max. But that will last me through this month and then some.

fattest_foot

• Bristles
« Reply #1519 on: July 07, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »
I'm relatively new to the Mustachian community, but I've been "frugal" for about the past decade (since I met my wife).

The one that bothers me the most is articles that talk about how to save more. I even think some of the MMM articles have it too. They'll always say something like "just cut your eating out expenses" or "lower the number of miles you drive."

Those are all very good ideas to cut your costs, but what do you do if you've been doing them already? You walk away from every article disappointed that you can't do more. I feel like I would get a lot of satisfaction out of giving something major up, but for the most part all of the conventional wisdom falls short.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1520 on: July 07, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »
+1 

"Turn off the water when you brush your teeth"
"cut cable and save!"
"Buy store brands!" 

Useless.

I'm relatively new to the Mustachian community, but I've been "frugal" for about the past decade (since I met my wife).

The one that bothers me the most is articles that talk about how to save more. I even think some of the MMM articles have it too. They'll always say something like "just cut your eating out expenses" or "lower the number of miles you drive."

Those are all very good ideas to cut your costs, but what do you do if you've been doing them already? You walk away from every article disappointed that you can't do more. I feel like I would get a lot of satisfaction out of giving something major up, but for the most part all of the conventional wisdom falls short.

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #1521 on: July 07, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »

I think that's why so much of this forum has turned to other elements of frugality--particularly environmentalism--as a means of finding something besides "just save money." If we think about other ways a consumer culture effects us all besides financially--for some, environmentalism, for others, implications for child-rearing, for still others, political policy--we can begin to see past the simple Excel spreadsheets of dollars and sense and focus on other, bigger picture items that keep us motivated in not spending and an anti-consumer lifestyle. (I understand your frustration, though; I follow very few PF blogs anymore because of this.)

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1522 on: July 07, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
My car insurance company rep 'you cant be retired at 47, the computer wont accept that'

Me ' hmmm what are we going to do then, because i am definitely retired'

Rep 'but c'mon you must do something?'

me '........i walk the dog everyday??'

Rep (increasingly desperate) 'Voluntary work... Part time.... anything?'

me ' errrr ...... nope'

Rep 'ok i'm just going to stick with your old occupation, that'll be fine.'

Argh!  Why does a man (talking to another man) have this dilemma? 
The computer most certainly would accept "Homemaker" at age 47....   It did for my DH, but sometimes he just said "Inventor" as a job description instead.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1523 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:03 PM »

You realize you misattributed a quote by dragoncar to me right?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1524 on: July 07, 2015, 11:45:14 PM »

Shh, you might mess up his spreadsheet.

nairnejay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1525 on: July 08, 2015, 02:20:56 AM »
Sidenote: New cars these days are RIDICULOUS. These days Bluetooth and touch screens are standard features now! I just wanted to remove them to reduce the price of the car! I wish for the old days when even air conditioning was optional so you could get as barebones a car as you please.

Tell me about it. I'm dreading the day I have to get a different (I'm not going to say new) car. I have a 20 year old Mazda 121.
I love it. It's so basic. It's unintentionally minimalist/hipster now I suppose.
An older driver hit my car the other week and I had a rental car while it was being repaired - a just about brand new Ford Kuga.
I hated it.
Too many buttons and distracting faff.
Oh and it chewed up double the amount my mazda uses in petrol each week - in the space of 3 days.
I fear that one day in the future I won't be able to buy a car that isn't stacked with annoying gadgetry.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:23:30 AM by nairnejay »

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1526 on: July 08, 2015, 07:08:19 AM »

Sorry- I didn't rewrite any of the names, must have misdeleted when I was snipping down the long roll of quotes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:09:59 AM by iowajes »

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1527 on: July 08, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »

Don't assume everyone on the internet is a man.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1528 on: July 08, 2015, 08:29:47 AM »
I fear that one day in the future I won't be able to buy a car that isn't stacked with annoying gadgetry.
Your fear is likely to come true. I sometimes read the "new car" pages in the newspaper just to find a bit fuel for my spite of "we do a SUV now, too!!" and such things.
Seems even basic "cheap" cars now have techno gadgets that I would not use when driving.
So maybe you are lucky - get a good used now without such stuff, it may be your last one.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1529 on: July 08, 2015, 09:17:04 AM »
I can't do the Marie Kondo recommendation of vertically stacking my Tshirts in the drawer because I own so few of them.

TrMama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1530 on: July 08, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »
I'm trying to buy a new-to-me car this week and am having trouble figuring out how to pay for it. Of course I have the money to pay for it up front, but it's in investment accounts that take 3 days to extract cash from. Once the trades settle, my only checking account is at a cheapy online bank that doesn't let me make a withdrawal in person (only $400/day from the ATM) and I can only get a bank draft via snail mail.

Hopefully, he'll accept either a personal check or an Interact E-transfer. However, I bet I'd have better negotiating power if I handed over a big stack of cash. It would just be a slightly smaller stack than what he wants for the car ;-)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1531 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »
I can't do the Marie Kondo recommendation of vertically stacking my Tshirts in the drawer because I own so few of them.

I've cut small pieces of wood to use as drawer dividers. It holds up the stacks of t-shirts.  I've "filed" my t-shirts since I was little.  I didn't know people would do it another way. You can't see what you have.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1532 on: July 08, 2015, 12:20:33 PM »

I make no such assumption.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1533 on: July 08, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »

The word "his" certainly was such an assumption.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #1534 on: July 08, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »

Or it was a convenient default pronoun to use since English lacks a commonly used gender-free pronoun. Using "she" would've been an equally large assumption.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1535 on: July 08, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »

Or it was a convenient default pronoun to use since English lacks a commonly used gender-free pronoun. Using "she" would've been an equally large assumption.

How about his/her, that poster's, iowajes's. There are lots of alternatives.   I know I've made the mistake before (usually when I misremember a poster), but I tend to post s/he or his/her when I don't know.  You could even go with the grammatically incorrect "their".

The idea of a "default pronoun" minimizes people who are not the "default". As you said, English does not have a gender-neutral pronoun so "his" is NOT gender neutral, it refers to a man.  It is rude to call people who are not men by male pronouns unless they have otherwise stated they are okay with it.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1536 on: July 08, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

FFS, just use "their"!!! (Pet peeve...)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1537 on: July 08, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »

Gah. Please don't.

Look at it this way: with a reference to an individual person, guessing outright you have about a 50% change of getting it right if you pick a gender. With "their," you are 100% guaranteed to be wrong; the one thing you know about an anonymous poster is that there's only one,

I recommend a workaround such as screen name or he/she. Guaranteed to be correct.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1538 on: July 08, 2015, 07:20:03 PM »
Gah. Please don't.

Look at it this way: with a reference to an individual person, guessing outright you have about a 50% change of getting it right if you pick a gender. With "their," you are 100% guaranteed to be wrong; the one thing you know about an anonymous poster is that there's only one,

I recommend a workaround such as screen name or he/she. Guaranteed to be correct.
I'm just going to refer to everyone that I don't konw the gender of on here as a guy, because I don't care, I think MMM even made a post saying that a large majority of his readers are men, also that the most common occupation was Engineer, maybe I'll start calling people him PE lol

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1539 on: July 08, 2015, 09:53:01 PM »
I think someone else had this problem earlier in thread...

We have a neighbor named Ira. Anytime DH and I try to type "Ira" on our phone it becomes "IRA".
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #1540 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:05 PM »

How about his/her, that poster's, iowajes's. There are lots of alternatives.   I know I've made the mistake before (usually when I misremember a poster), but I tend to post s/he or his/her when I don't know.  You could even go with the grammatically incorrect "their".

The idea of a "default pronoun" minimizes people who are not the "default". As you said, English does not have a gender-neutral pronoun so "his" is NOT gender neutral, it refers to a man.  It is rude to call people who are not men by male pronouns unless they have otherwise stated they are okay with it.

+1

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #1541 on: July 08, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »

I've cut small pieces of wood to use as drawer dividers. It holds up the stacks of t-shirts.  I've "filed" my t-shirts since I was little.  I didn't know people would do it another way. You can't see what you have.

Exact opposite of you two.  I have a big bundle of tshirts I got on freecycle.  Wash them and throw into a bin.  Grab the top one for a work shirt.  If after a wash they are too worn, they become rags.  That bin/bundle of shirts has lasted me several years and is still going strong...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1542 on: July 08, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »

Gah. Please don't.

This is wrong because:

1)  Sometimes people share screen names -- on this forum even.
2) he/she is not guaranteed to be correct because it does not cover dragonkin.  For all of you wondering, my preferred pronouns are scale/scales/scaleself.

If you actually care what gender someone refers to you as, I highly recommend putting your preferred pronouns in your "personal text" section.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1543 on: July 09, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »

I agree. I think singular "they" is a great grammatical solution that came about organically.

The issue with using 'he' or 'she' isn't that you might be wrong, it's that you're making an assumption without any information. If you don't know, you're allowed to write it like you don't know.

I don't have an issue with the formal use of 'he' when talking about a generic person.  I get that using male as the default gender as a convention is problematic but I accept it as, well, as a convention. But talking about a specific poster is a different kettle of fish. There's no grammatical convention behind referring to a specific real individual by a default gender.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:33:56 AM by sheepstache »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1544 on: July 09, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
Apparently "it" isn't appropriate when talking about someones baby.
It's a baby! Surely "it" is all you need  ?

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1545 on: July 09, 2015, 12:05:52 PM »
Apparently "it" isn't appropriate when talking about someones baby.
It's a baby! Surely "it" is all you need  ?

The number of times I've offended people due to baby/pregnancy conversations...

I don't care how pregnant you are, I'm not saying a damn word until you or someone else tells me there a baby in there. I'm tired of being yelled at or making people cry.

Side bar - if you look pregnant, but are not, then either fix the physical issue or do not get offended when people mess up. It's not my fault you're fat and it's all in your stomach!

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1546 on: July 09, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »
I did that once - although the women I congratulated then took up cycling to work, so overall a win for mustachianism !

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1547 on: July 09, 2015, 10:32:16 PM »
I did that once - although the women I congratulated then took up cycling to work, so overall a win for mustachianism !
Um, no, not really a win there, no matter the outcome.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1548 on: July 10, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
I am developing an addiction to fixing up old stereo equipment.  I find myself looking at damaged speakers at the Goodwill Store and thinking about how much fun I could have repairing them before I consider whether they would actually be any better than what I have now. 

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1549 on: July 10, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
There was a survey on the forum, and I think we ended up much closer to 50/50, and definitely not all engineers.
Lots of us are INTJ, way more than the % in the general population, from another poll.

Assumptions are dangerous. Generic (non-gendered) names are common on here.   

I'm just going to refer to everyone that I don't konw the gender of on here as a guy, because I don't care, I think MMM even made a post saying that a large majority of his readers are men, also that the most common occupation was Engineer, maybe I'll start calling people him PE lol
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!