Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086750 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #2800 on: June 21, 2016, 11:21:18 AM »
I really do find it hilarious that people will brag about being acclimated to 90 degrees or whatever and then complain endlessly about how 68 degrees is "freezing" and you can't possibly do work in those kind of extreme conditions.

Maybe you all should acclimate yourself to those ice cold normal room temperatures like you expect others to do for heat?

Shouldn't we just acclimate to whatever temperature the outdoor climate actually is?

I'm not sure it's worth being derisive. I don't want to use a ton of AC in my home. In the summer I'll be acclimated to much warmer temps than I am in winter. If my workplace is much colder, that'll be uncomfortable. Why do you think it's bragging to do the eco friendly and financially badass thing?

Try completely turning off your heat in the winter.  It gets very hot and humid in the summer in the South.  A lot of you don't have much experience with both heat and humidity together for months on end.  Even my Great Grandmother, who had more than her fair share of un-airconditioned summers, said you never got used to it.  Yes, people should turn up the thermostat and acclimatize to 80F, I completely totally agree with that.  Yes, it's completely possible to do without it.  But it's also completely possible to do without heat in the winter.  Don't point fingers at southerners for enjoying a little AC in the summer if you turn on the heat in the winter.

I'm saying ALL times of year. My house often got down to 58F over the winter. And it often gets up to 85F during the summer. We usually keep it 60F in the winter as our low point, and we will turn on our portable AC unit in one room if it gets above 80F in the summer. I'm not saying everyone has to go as far as I do to either end- I'm just saying that keeping your office temperature 66F when it is 90F outside is pretty stupid. And on the other end, keeping your home 76F in the winter like my mother does is pretty stupid. It makes you LESS comfortable when you do have to be elsewhere, because your set point is totally screwed up. It's not machismo if overall it makes you MORE tolerant of temperatures and comfortable on the whole.

I was saying we should try and acclimate on BOTH ends. Not 100% don't use stuff- just stay closer to what the out of doors is actually doing.

And PS, I have in fact spent a whole summer in Mississippi with no AC. Don't make sweeping assumptions about other people's life experiences. =)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2801 on: June 21, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
Not to mention how incredibly wasteful it is to cool to 66 when it's 90, or heat up to 76 when it's sub zero.  Every degree you get further from the outside temperature takes more energy than the previous degree. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2802 on: June 21, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
I think I'm mentioned this before as a MPP that -almost- happened, but this month it did.

I run payroll for our whole company. My entire paycheck goes straight into savings, and we live off my husband's salary. You can see where this is going.

I forgot to run payroll.

Thankfully I realised on the day payments were due into people's accounts, and by a wing, a prayer, and faster bank payments, I don't think anyone noticed, phew.

Must set a reminder. Can't have the boss knowing I don't really need my salary! (he's one of those who, annoyingly, takes people's personal circumstances into consideration when debating raises. "Oh, John, he's got a huge mortgage! Give him 4%" Must maintain the illusion of being stretched but hard-working and grateful).

What happens when you go on holidays? Who runs payroll then?

Bit of a segregation of duties risk if you're the only one with the keys to the honeypot. I'm sure you are trustworthy but still...

For 12 years I have never gone on holiday over a payday! (UK, so only 12 per year)

It's even harder when you take into account my husband's role involves month-end procedures, so I've also never been away over a month end! (Don't worry, we get plenty of extravagant holidays. We just have to time them.)

You are completely right about me being the only one with the keys to the honeypot. I vacillitate between thinking my boss is an absolute idiot and deciding he is an excellent judge of character - I could have taken him for £££££££s over the years.

With the "keys to the honeypot" issue - is that not a liability issue for UK bookkeepers the way it is for US bookkeepers?  US bookkeepers with signature authority can be personally on the hook if the boss fails to pay employment taxes and then flees the country.  See US 401k late remittance discussion on this thread.

erae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2803 on: June 22, 2016, 06:05:52 AM »
Husband's employment shifted underneath him so we're holding off on investing in our taxable accounts until we've got a clearer picture of the new 401k and HSA options and can re-evaluate our taxable investments to keep our asset allocation consistent.  I get irritated every time I log into our bank's website and see that pile of green employees lazing about in our checking account.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2804 on: June 23, 2016, 03:26:41 AM »

With the "keys to the honeypot" issue - is that not a liability issue for UK bookkeepers the way it is for US bookkeepers?  US bookkeepers with signature authority can be personally on the hook if the boss fails to pay employment taxes and then flees the country.  See US 401k late remittance discussion on this thread.

My boss would be on the hook entirely, there would be no liability to me personally.

However, that situation would also never arise, because I pay all the payroll taxes. He literally doesn't even have a bank log in or a cheque book, and of course he would have no idea who to pay or what amount. So it's more likely that I would flee the country and leave him in a pickle with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs!

Like I say... either a genius who lets someone else do all the boring but necessary work, knowing that it will definitely get done to a high standard... or a complete idiot.

(Obviously it's the latter. I mean, don't get me wrong, he chose me well. But seriously, so little oversight into things you are legally responsible for is mind-numbingly stupid.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2805 on: June 23, 2016, 03:30:54 AM »
Supposedly in banking/finance they force people to take holidays because it is a good way to detect fraud.
If that accountant never risks being out of the office for a week you get suspicious.

This is true in certain circumstances, generally large financial services companies, at least in the US. But the required "long" holidays are two weeks, because fraud is likely to come to light in that time.

It would be possible for theadvicist to have taken two week holidays at the beginning of the month, which gives others the chance to examine the books, but still have "all hands on deck" at busy times.

You'd think... but it's all one PC (backed up to the cloud, don't worry) that (as far as I'm aware, obviously there are ways around these things) no-one else has access to. Password protected PC, password protected accounts program.

Literally the ONLY oversight is our accountant's reviewing my work once a year - and they are looking for ways to save the company money on tax, not checking whether I have my 'hands in the till'.

Oh, and who are our accountants you ask? A personal family friend of mine that I recommended!!

People, don't run your businesses like this.

(As I say, he's got nothing to worry about, I'm scrupulous. But it's still not a good idea to put that must trust in one person!)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:32:37 AM by theadvicist »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2806 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:14 AM »
Supposedly in banking/finance they force people to take holidays because it is a good way to detect fraud.
If that accountant never risks being out of the office for a week you get suspicious.

This is true in certain circumstances, generally large financial services companies, at least in the US. But the required "long" holidays are two weeks, because fraud is likely to come to light in that time.

It would be possible for theadvicist to have taken two week holidays at the beginning of the month, which gives others the chance to examine the books, but still have "all hands on deck" at busy times.

You'd think... but it's all one PC (backed up to the cloud, don't worry) that (as far as I'm aware, obviously there are ways around these things) no-one else has access to. Password protected PC, password protected accounts program.

Literally the ONLY oversight is our accountant's reviewing my work once a year - and they are looking for ways to save the company money on tax, not checking whether I have my 'hands in the till'.

Oh, and who are our accountants you ask? A personal family friend of mine that I recommended!!

(As I say, he's got nothing to worry about, I'm scrupulous. But it's still not a good idea to put that must trust in one person!)

A computer login password in no way protects the data on your pc from anybody with physical access. With physical access to the machine anyone can use a bootable USB to boot the computer into Linux and copy the files off of your computer.
Alternatively someone could steal the hard drive and connect it to another computer. They wouldn't have to boot from that hard drive (again getting around the password).

As far as the password protected accounts program, it depends how the program actually protects the data. If the programmers had any security sense they would have encrypted the data based on the program password. With a proper implementation and sufficiently long password, it would be impossible to crack - where by impossible I really mean it would take so long to brute force that by the time an attacker does so the data he irrelevant.

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #2807 on: June 23, 2016, 06:21:55 AM »

A computer login password in no way protects the data on your pc from anybody with physical access. With physical access to the machine anyone can use a bootable USB to boot the computer into Linux and copy the files off of your computer.
Alternatively someone could steal the hard drive and connect it to another computer. They wouldn't have to boot from that hard drive (again getting around the password).

As far as the password protected accounts program, it depends how the program actually protects the data. If the programmers had any security sense they would have encrypted the data based on the program password. With a proper implementation and sufficiently long password, it would be impossible to crack - where by impossible I really mean it would take so long to brute force that by the time an attacker does so the data he irrelevant.

Typically a laptop/computer that really needs to be secured would have a password that encrypts the entire hard drive. The easy way to bypass this is to use a keylogger to get the password as the person enters it. A very secure system would use 2-factor authentication(something you know, something you have) such as password+usb key or password + rsa token.

In any case nothing is 100% secure. There is someone somewhere who has access to it. I work as an admin so I have the final set of keys. Offsite backups I can't access but nothing would stop a devious admin from corrupting backups as they happen and it would not be noticeable before the yearly restore test(when there is even that).

Also there are more low tech methods. Someone tells you to choose between giving your password up or having your knees broken. What will you do?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2808 on: June 23, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »

Try completely turning off your heat in the winter.  It gets very hot and humid in the summer in the South.  A lot of you don't have much experience with both heat and humidity together for months on end.  Even my Great Grandmother, who had more than her fair share of un-airconditioned summers, said you never got used to it.  Yes, people should turn up the thermostat and acclimatize to 80F, I completely totally agree with that.  Yes, it's completely possible to do without it.  But it's also completely possible to do without heat in the winter.  Don't point fingers at southerners for enjoying a little AC in the summer if you turn on the heat in the winter.
No heat in the winter? Depends on where you live - we go to -30C (-22F) regularly. Sometimes colder.  Water freezes at 0C.  Below about 15C I start seeing condensation problems.  So yes I will heat my house in winter.
Heat and humidity - we may not get as hot as you, but we get into the 30's (86+) and it gets humid - the combination gives us lots of thunderstorms. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2809 on: June 23, 2016, 07:35:17 AM »

Typically a laptop/computer that really needs to be secured would have a password that encrypts the entire hard drive. The easy way to bypass this is to use a keylogger to get the password as the person enters it. A very secure system would use 2-factor authentication(something you know, something you have) such as password+usb key or password + rsa token.

In any case nothing is 100% secure. There is someone somewhere who has access to it. I work as an admin so I have the final set of keys. Offsite backups I can't access but nothing would stop a devious admin from corrupting backups as they happen and it would not be noticeable before the yearly restore test(when there is even that).

Also there are more low tech methods. Someone tells you to choose between giving your password up or having your knees broken. What will you do?

I'd revise that statement to a laptop/computer that really needs to be secured that is used by a security conscious individual or at a company with a security conscious IT department is typically encrypted.

I agree that nothing is 100% secure. All I was trying to do was dispel the misconception that a login password to a computer in itself protects the data on the computer.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2810 on: June 23, 2016, 07:43:31 AM »

I'd revise that statement to a laptop/computer that really needs to be secured that is used by a security conscious individual or at a company with a security conscious IT department is typically encrypted.

I agree that nothing is 100% secure. All I was trying to do was dispel the misconception that a login password to a computer in itself protects the data on the computer.

I knew this would get into a password / security thing because I know these boards! I just meant, my boss, the only person who would need to check my work as a bookkeeper, does not know the password to the computer, nor the password to the accounts programme (if he even knew which programme to open).

The guy can barely send an email without ringing me for help.

I do not think our data is particularly secure in any way. It was a comment on the lack of oversight I am given as an employee. I know he could get to the data if he needed to. The point is he never tries or shows any interest, as long as HMRC don't come knocking for unpaid bills.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2811 on: June 23, 2016, 09:23:48 AM »
I'm so tired of the "you can always put on a sweater" line of reasoning.  I'm currently wearing two sweaters, huddling under a thick quilt, and still feeling painfully cold, with hands that are too numb to type well.  But we can't even compromise on a tolerable temperature -- one that would be a lot less wasteful and inefficient -- because some obese guy down the hall will complain if the temperature gets anywhere near 70, and I can supposedly always put on yet another sweater if I'm feeling cold.

At some point you can't just put on more clothes.

If you have hands that are too numb to type at 68 degrees, you have a physical problem and either need treatment for it, or need to get your employer to accommodate your needs in another way (give you an office and a space heater).  It is ridiculous to expect that because you somehow have numb hands at a perfectly average temperature that everyone else is going to have to sweat through their dress shirts for you. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2812 on: June 23, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
I'm so tired of the "you can always put on a sweater" line of reasoning.  I'm currently wearing two sweaters, huddling under a thick quilt, and still feeling painfully cold, with hands that are too numb to type well.  But we can't even compromise on a tolerable temperature -- one that would be a lot less wasteful and inefficient -- because some obese guy down the hall will complain if the temperature gets anywhere near 70, and I can supposedly always put on yet another sweater if I'm feeling cold.

If you have hands that are too numb to type at 68 degrees, you have a physical problem and either need treatment for it, or need to get your employer to accommodate your needs in another way (give you an office and a space heater).  It is ridiculous to expect that because you somehow have numb hands at a perfectly average temperature that everyone else is going to have to sweat through their dress shirts for you.

Another option would be to get a heated keyboard and mouse, or a heat lamp you can point at your hands. I remember seeing a youtube video at some point where they compared the cost of heating the cold person directly (I think they used a heat lamp and a foot warmer) vs heating the entire office, and the difference was huge.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2813 on: June 23, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »

Another option would be to get a heated keyboard and mouse, or a heat lamp you can point at your hands. I remember seeing a youtube video at some point where they compared the cost of heating the cold person directly (I think they used a heat lamp and a foot warmer) vs heating the entire office, and the difference was huge.

This guy?
http://www.richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2814 on: June 23, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »

This guy?
http://www.richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp

That would be it. Cool stuff!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2815 on: June 23, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
To try and reel my flame-war (pun intended) hunger in and get back on topic, we don't have enough tax deductions to itemize. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2816 on: June 24, 2016, 03:13:09 PM »
*snip*

Oh, this is hilarious and terrible!  One of OldJob's clients, relatively large, had a single bookkeeper who controlled ALL financial functions except invoice entry.  She would always say "They're lucky I'm so honest!"  Finally upper management started fixing things when we said "Look, this is a huge issue.  Bookkeeper wants to retire, and you won't be so lucky with her replacement."

What happens when you FIRE?  Are you going to have to choose your own successor and have the MPP of finding another saintly one?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2817 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »
I was telling a coworker about my new Chase Southwest Visa that I got specifically to get the 50,000 bonus miles.

Coworker:  Oh yeah...what is the interest rate??
Me:  I don't know.
-

Hah! I just realized I have no idea what the interest rate is on any of my cards. I would assume around 20%, since that's a common number in Canada.

Yeah, I don't know my rates either. Or my credit limits!

I know the interest rate on all my credit cards.  Y'all do too if you just think about it.

The interest rate is 0%.

Because you pay off your balance every month.

"Use this one weird trick to never pay interest on a credit card again! Banks hate her!"

Ha.

Better to hook in the co-worker is something like this:

"Yeah, the interest rate on that new card is zero percent. And they're going to keep giving me that rate for as long as I have the card."

"WOW, how do I get that?"

"Just pay off the full balance every month. Works on almost any credit card!"

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2818 on: June 26, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »
Okay, I solved my "Mint profile incomplete" problem. I added my bicycle as a car ($100 value) and my cat as real estate ($1). Boyfriend thought I should change my ER investment account to "real estate", but I'm sticking with "Artwork", because it seems fitting.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:30:51 PM by Zikoris »

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2819 on: June 27, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
New bank debit card 'deactivated' because I didn't activate it and set PIN for 6 months because I don't really need the card.
Called bank, all fixed now!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #2820 on: June 27, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
When you prefer either no A/C or set to 78, but everywhere you go it's set to 72 and you FREEZE.

Psshhhh, I set mine to 82 and supplement with ceiling fans when I'm in the room.  However, I was also the guy a few weeks ago that road my bike home in ~100 degree weather at 4 PM (granted it's < 3 miles one way).  My wife is also pretty well adjusted now, also.

I just quietly listen when my colleagues talk about setting theirs to 76 because they're "cheap"; oh the horror if they found out what I set mine to.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2821 on: June 27, 2016, 01:59:44 PM »
When you prefer either no A/C or set to 78, but everywhere you go it's set to 72 and you FREEZE.

Psshhhh, I set mine to 82 and supplement with ceiling fans when I'm in the room.  However, I was also the guy a few weeks ago that road my bike home in ~100 degree weather at 4 PM (granted it's < 3 miles one way).  My wife is also pretty well adjusted now, also.

I just quietly listen when my colleagues talk about setting theirs to 76 because they're "cheap"; oh the horror if they found out what I set mine to.

It's 4pm and 92*F here.  I'm about to bike 6 miles to my un-airconditioned house.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #2822 on: June 27, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
My MPP:  I'd like to chime in on the A/C humblebragging, since I have yet to turn mine on, but it doesn't feel right because I live on the first floor of a multi-level apartment complex.  My neighbors around and above me blast their AC like crazy, and I have to open my windows in the middle of the day to get the thermostat to read higher than 74F  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #2823 on: June 27, 2016, 02:14:41 PM »
It's 4pm and 92*F here.  I'm about to bike 6 miles to my un-airconditioned house.

Badass.

I could do that but I gotta do something to keep my wife happy; 82 + ceiling fans seemed like a happy medium.  We even get cold on some nights with the ceiling fan directly above us.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache

stache9434

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2825 on: June 27, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
I am currently using one of my credit cards as a bookmark because I don't know what else I am supposed to do with it.

I was also talking to my boss a few days ago about an ad the company had put out. For a few moments I had trouble following what he was saying because I forgot that people actually fall for advertising.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2826 on: June 28, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »
I am currently using one of my credit cards as a bookmark because I don't know what else I am supposed to do with it.

Cut them into guitar picks!

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2827 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:27 PM »
Applied for new Costco VISA (did not have the AE card) - had to put down household (DH's) income because I don't have any now that I am FIREd. He is not on the Costco membership (didn't want to be) - so this could be interesting.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2828 on: June 29, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »
Applied for new Costco VISA (did not have the AE card) - had to put down household (DH's) income because I don't have any now that I am FIREd. He is not on the Costco membership (didn't want to be) - so this could be interesting.

I read that while credit cards used to accept household income, they now require individual income.  Household income was great for me as a law student living with my parents. 

But they don't really verify the stated income, do they?  I've never gotten pushback on it-- it's just to cover their asses right?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2829 on: June 29, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »
I always put our household income, otherwise we likely wouldn't qualify for the premium cards. It is typically worded pretty loosely on the form anyway. As long as you can reasonably claim to have access to it, it's nothing worth fretting about.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2830 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »

I read that while credit cards used to accept household income, they now require individual income.  Household income was great for me as a law student living with my parents. 

You've got this reversed. When the CARD act became law in 2009, the regulations that followed said credit card companies need to evaluate individual income, not household income.

In 2013, the CFPB issued a rule change which allowed credit card companies to consider household income.

Notice how I said allows. Not mandates. However, I don't think I've seen a credit card application recently that asked for individual income. They've all asked for household income.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/newsroom/the-cfpb-amends-card-act-rule-to-make-it-easier-for-stay-at-home-spouses-and-partners-to-get-credit-cards/

But they don't really verify the stated income, do they?  I've never gotten pushback on it-- it's just to cover their asses right?

They did for my very first credit card. Considering I had a completely blank credit report, this was understandable.

A credit card company of course reserves the right to verify your income, and sometimes they do. People who MS a lot on Amex cards know about the dreaded Amex financial review.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2831 on: June 29, 2016, 03:34:43 PM »

You've got this reversed. When the CARD act became law in 2009, the regulations that followed said credit card companies need to evaluate individual income, not household income.

I think it was true when I read it sometime between 2009-2013 :-P

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #2832 on: June 29, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
I just paid off my mortgage, and I have an itch to throw extra cash at debt. None left. Feels weird.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2833 on: June 29, 2016, 05:49:42 PM »
I always put our household income, otherwise we likely wouldn't qualify for the premium cards. It is typically worded pretty loosely on the form anyway. As long as you can reasonably claim to have access to it, it's nothing worth fretting about.

The form just asked for "income". My husband and I have separate money, no bank account or credit cards in common. Interestingly, the application form did not ask for employer information. Also, we were victims of identity theft last year (fraudulent tax return), so have a freeze at the major companies like Experian. Fun... I also stopped using credit cards a few years ago in favor of a rewards checking account (run debit card as credit - but this doesn't impact credit rating). Not sure what will happen. I have no idea what my credit rating is. The rep said to call them, she hadn't heRd of anyone getting turned down.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2834 on: June 29, 2016, 06:06:50 PM »
I just paid off my mortgage, and I have an itch to throw extra cash at debt. None left. Feels weird.

Mentally re-characterize investments as a debt to your future self.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2835 on: June 30, 2016, 02:13:12 AM »

The form just asked for "income". My husband and I have separate money, no bank account or credit cards in common. Interestingly, the application form did not ask for employer information. Also, we were victims of identity theft last year (fraudulent tax return), so have a freeze at the major companies like Experian. Fun... I also stopped using credit cards a few years ago in favor of a rewards checking account (run debit card as credit - but this doesn't impact credit rating). Not sure what will happen. I have no idea what my credit rating is. The rep said to call them, she hadn't heRd of anyone getting turned down.

So nosy, but I have to ask: if you have no income, and you and your husband do not share any bank accounts or credit cards... what do you live on? Are you selling assets? Would that not be classed as income? (It would be for tax purposes here in the UK, I believe). Or living off savings (which I think would not be considered income - except for the interest on the savings).

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2836 on: June 30, 2016, 07:14:42 AM »

So nosy, but I have to ask: if you have no income, and you and your husband do not share any bank accounts or credit cards... what do you live on? Are you selling assets? Would that not be classed as income? (It would be for tax purposes here in the UK, I believe). Or living off savings (which I think would not be considered income - except for the interest on the savings).

I just FIREd last year - still on cash I had built up. We split household expenses so I am still paying some common bills ( 75+% of groceries, insurance, car registrations, electric & gas), as well as some unexpected expenses like some home repairs. I also pay for my medical insurance, gas for my car, maintenance on my car, personal expenses (lunch with friends, clothes, etc.). The house and cars are paid off. I tracked my expenses for a year, and continue to track. I lead a pretty low expense life.
I am 56 yo, so any portfolio assets I sell will be taxable. We were over the Roth limit until a couple of years ago, so it will be a few years until I can tap any Roth growth tax-free. I can take pension from work, but there is a significant penalty (about 50%), so I am letting that grow.

Realized interest income, such as interest on a bank account, is considered income as far as taxes are concerned, but I don't think the credit card companies are thinking of that when they ask about income (maybe they are, but I'm not?). Anyway - that would not be impressive in my case, and I don't know what it will be till the end of the year...

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2837 on: July 01, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »

Now you get to experience watching your mutual funds grow like a weed.  It blows my mind sometimes how far our net worth has come in the past few years. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2838 on: July 01, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »

Now you get to experience watching your mutual funds grow like a weed.  It blows my mind sometimes how far our net worth has come in the past few years.

That is an awesome MPP -- congrats!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2839 on: July 01, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
My latest MPP:  had a bunch of large expenses last month so our savings rate was only 55% of net (42% of gross).

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2840 on: July 01, 2016, 06:53:06 PM »
My latest MPP:  had a bunch of large expenses last month so our savings rate was only 55% of net (42% of gross).

Slacker!

Greenway52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2841 on: July 01, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »
I had $10,000 ready to be put into my TFSA in January 2016 so that I can keep my TFSA contribution maxed. But the new federal government reduced the TFSA max contribution back down to $5,500 per year. So the remaining $4,500 had to go to my taxable investment account.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2842 on: July 02, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »
I just ordered cat food because it was 10% off. At the end of the order I got a promotion that I can get a coupon for an online shop. There were around 50 of them, but I never use them. Now I took the one for groceries, we can probably stock up on supplies after moving so that seems like the best choice. But the minimum amount to spend is still 200 CHF.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #2843 on: July 03, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »
I had a mustachian problem yesterday...

I had been given a gift certificate for a mani+pedi for my birthday last fall.  Since no-one would have seen my toes all fall/winter I just used it yesterday.  The gift certificate included the cost of the mani+pedi plus the tip.  When I went to pay, I was informed that the tip could not come out of the gift certificate, it had to be cash.  I had no cash on me (I rarely have any/much cash on me.)  So I went to the drug store next door to use my debit card and get some cash back.  I couldn't think of a thing I needed or wanted to buy.  I ended up getting a bag of my favorite snack food (on sale).  And now I have $10 left on the gift certificate and nothing at the salon is <=$10.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2844 on: July 03, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
I can't ever reach my mental target for cash reserves because I'm either investing the extra dollars or paying extra on the mortgage.  (We don't have any other debt.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2845 on: July 03, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
Citi bank keeps not syncing with Mint, and that makes me do extra work for my monthly spending calculation.

I haven't decided how best to factor rewards $ into our savings rate. (So far, laziness has prevailed- apply reward to statement, ignore otherwise)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2846 on: July 03, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
Citi bank keeps not syncing with Mint, and that makes me do extra work for my monthly spending calculation.

I haven't decided how best to factor rewards $ into our savings rate. (So far, laziness has prevailed- apply reward to statement, ignore otherwise)

Manually add the rewards as income in mint when you redeem them.  Conceptually it's like your CC is sending you a check for $200, which you then apply to your next statement.  Everything on spending side of the CC still gets counted as spending by mint.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2847 on: July 03, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »

Manually add the rewards as income in mint when you redeem them.  Conceptually it's like your CC is sending you a check for $200, which you then apply to your next statement.  Everything on spending side of the CC still gets counted as spending by mint.

Do you just do something like "income- bonus" or a special category?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2848 on: July 03, 2016, 03:43:29 PM »

Do you just do something like "income- bonus" or a special category?

No I just count it as income - same as my paycheck.  My income from my job is tracked through my W2, so I'm not worried about differentiating it from my work income. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2849 on: July 03, 2016, 06:50:42 PM »
Somehow our password saver program lost the user name for one of our retirement accounts.  So now I can't do my usual quarterly update!