Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 1194317 times)

justchristine

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #4250 on: October 02, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »
I have been gradually shifting my schedule to work more days from home and now I have to find a cell plan with more minutes because of all the conference calls.  I went from a $10/mo plan to $20/mo and now it looks like I'm going to need a $30/mo plan.  I guess an extra $20/mo is a small price to pay to be able to knit during conference calls and do chores during downtime.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4251 on: October 02, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
I have been gradually shifting my schedule to work more days from home and now I have to find a cell plan with more minutes because of all the conference calls.  I went from a $10/mo plan to $20/mo and now it looks like I'm going to need a $30/mo plan.  I guess an extra $20/mo is a small price to pay to be able to knit during conference calls and do chores during downtime.

Work from home conference calls (and calling IT support) are huge reasons I love my VOIP phone, which only costs me $5 per month.  If you have home internet, you can get a VOIP phone.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #4252 on: October 02, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »

Google Fi? $20/month for unlimited talk/text. Pay per MB for data. You do however have to own one of a few specific phones Could be worth it if you're moving to a $30 plan.

justchristine

• Bristles
« Reply #4253 on: October 02, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »

Google Fi? $20/month for unlimited talk/text. Pay per MB for data. You do however have to own one of a few specific phones Could be worth it if you're moving to a $30 plan.
I'm on a Moto g5 so Google fi is out.  I was looking at h20 wireless but their website won't accept my main credit cards(amex).  I guess I'll have to pull my Mastercard out of mothballs and try again. 

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4254 on: October 03, 2017, 04:56:57 AM »
I recently had a Mustachian problem when shopping groceries. I have become a member of most grocery store chains. Also this one chain where I don't shop very often because it is out of my usual route. I have an app on my phone for this chain. My normal debit card is registered on it, but the app doesn't support credit card. I now always pay groceries with a 3% cashback credit card.
In this particular shop I bought a big pile of packs with sliced cheese, because it is my favorite cheese for a very good unit price. I haven't seen it cheaper elsewhere. The shop is supposed to give you 10% discount on the goods that you buy most -> therefore the large pile with cheese, which should not be my number one product I buy there.
When I had to pay and tried to open the app, the app failed to open (I had some issues with the memory card of my phone). The guy in the shop said: do you have your card? So I took my credit card and paid with it, presuming my purchase would be registered automatically as it does in the other chains. But of course, it didn't work, because I should have used my debit card, which is connected to the chain. So I again missed 10% discount on a large pile of cheese.
First time I tried to use the app, I only thought of it after paying and that was too late getting any discount.
So, I'm just not being lucky using this grocery chain combined with discount programs...

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #4255 on: October 03, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
I'm on a Moto g5 so Google fi is out.  I was looking at h20 wireless but their website won't accept my main credit cards(amex).  I guess I'll have to pull my Mastercard out of mothballs and try again.
If it's a moto g5 plus, it may work with Republic Wireless. I have them with my g4.
Refinance your student loans with my SoFi referral and get $100: https://www.sofi.com/refer/5/18373

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4256 on: October 03, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
I recently changed up my diet to eliminate cereal in the morning and add in proteins and vegetables. 

My MPP:  Now that I'm using fewer bowls in my routine, I run out of plates faster and end up running the dishwasher more often.  I'm about to run an NPV calculation on whether it's cheaper to buy more plates, or use the dishwasher more often.  I'm guessing it will be cheaper to buy a few more plates.

Or just eat the new breakfast out of bowls even if it's a little weird.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4257 on: October 04, 2017, 05:29:48 AM »
I recently changed up my diet to eliminate cereal in the morning and add in proteins and vegetables. 

My MPP:  Now that I'm using fewer bowls in my routine, I run out of plates faster and end up running the dishwasher more often.  I'm about to run an NPV calculation on whether it's cheaper to buy more plates, or use the dishwasher more often.  I'm guessing it will be cheaper to buy a few more plates.

Or wash up your plate by hand right after breakfast.
I think it is smart to have enough dishes and cutlery to be able to run your dishwasher only when it is full. Buy cheap dishes.

frugalparagon

• Magnum Stache
    • The Frugal Paragon
« Reply #4258 on: October 04, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »

My children have been smashing my Pfaltzgraff one plate at a time (which is OK, it is from my wedding, I lost half the set in the divorce and the rest is chipped anyway) so I got some spares at Goodwill. You can generally get, say, 3 plates together pretty cheap.

Or wash up your plate by hand right after breakfast.
I think it is smart to have enough dishes and cutlery to be able to run your dishwasher only when it is full. Buy cheap dishes.
I blog about Mustachianism during the child-raising years at frugalparagon.com.

And I tell the real story in my journal, https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/still-living-well-in-the-living-room-but-what's-my-next-move/

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #4259 on: October 05, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
Fighting over soap scraps.

My bar of hand soap was getting small so I pulled a new bar out of my hotel soaps stash.  An hour later I used the restroom and... no old bar of soap?!?  I yelled downstairs to my husband "Did you steal my soap?"

He's so excited about his soap saver ($1 at Dollar Tree) that he dropped my sliver into his bag.  "With this, we don't need to press the old bar onto the new bar of soap any more!"

I warned him that he'll smell like honeysuckle.  He doesn't care.  This man hates scented anything and only washes with Ivory, but he loves that bag. 

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4260 on: October 05, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »
Fighting over soap scraps.

My bar of hand soap was getting small so I pulled a new bar out of my hotel soaps stash.  An hour later I used the restroom and... no old bar of soap?!?  I yelled downstairs to my husband "Did you steal my soap?"

He's so excited about his soap saver ($1 at Dollar Tree) that he dropped my sliver into his bag.  "With this, we don't need to press the old bar onto the new bar of soap any more!"

I warned him that he'll smell like honeysuckle.  He doesn't care.  This man hates scented anything and only washes with Ivory, but he loves that bag.

That story made me smile.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

jrbrokerr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4261 on: October 05, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »
I will quit my job on Jan. 2 , 2018 but since my boss is super-ultra nice, I donīt know how I will do it (speech line I will use)...

401Killer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4262 on: October 05, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »
My friends all feel sorry for me when they ask what I am doing with my tax refund and I say we aren't getting one.  Guess they like giving an interest free loan.

Tax returns, making poor people feel rich for 48 hours...

401Killer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4263 on: October 05, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
I don't have a mortgage anymore, so I don't get to play with my epic mortgage calculator to see how much interest, or time I can save by putting down a little more, or less, or one lump sums. Watching the payoff dates and all the little numbers change... Seriously, I've spent a TON of time over the years playing with that thing.

So now, whenever I hear ANY kind of story of someones new loan or rates or anything, I punch it all into the calc machine and look at it all...

Just today, convo was talking about a normal size house in the HCOL area on the west coast is like $1M. So, into the calc is goes...

1,000,000 @ 30 years @ 4%
= $4774.15/mo payment, make min payments and pay an extra $718,695.06 in interest!!!
= If round up to an even $5k/mo, it saves you $68,000 and knocks 2.5 years off the loan.

1,000,000 @ 15 years @4%
= $7,396.88/mo payment, pay saves $387,257 in interest!

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4264 on: October 05, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
My friends all feel sorry for me when they ask what I am doing with my tax refund and I say we aren't getting one.  Guess they like giving an interest free loan.

A surprising amount of people don't understand that your tax liability and your withholding/returns are completely separate things.

I can't tell you the number of times I've advised someone to invest in an IRA while touting the tax benefits, and they can't comprehend how it lowers their taxes. 

"But I've already paid taxes on that money.  How does it help if I put $5,500 into an IRA?"
"No you didn't pay taxes, you had estimated taxes withheld.  You don't actually calculate and pay your taxes for this year until early next year.  You subtract your IRA contributions from your AGI so you don't end up paying taxes on that portion, and you square up with the IRS at that time."
*Blank stare*
"But I've already paid taxes on that money.  They took it out of my paycheck."

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4265 on: October 05, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »

A surprising amount of people don't understand that your tax liability and your withholding/returns are completely separate things.

I can't tell you the number of times I've advised someone to invest in an IRA while touting the tax benefits, and they can't comprehend how it lowers their taxes. 

"But I've already paid taxes on that money.  How does it help if I put $5,500 into an IRA?"
"No you didn't pay taxes, you had estimated taxes withheld.  You don't actually calculate and pay your taxes for this year until early next year.  You subtract your IRA contributions from your AGI so you don't end up paying taxes on that portion, and you square up with the IRS at that time."
*Blank stare*

"They will give it back to you as a reward for being such a good saver. And then your tax refund will be even bigger next year!"
Travelling to 71° Northern Latitude in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4266 on: October 05, 2017, 05:34:29 PM »
I'm annoyed with this one.  DH was laid off this week, but he's about $4000 from maxing out his 401-K for the year!  We are leaving $1K in taxes (25% tax bracket) on the table.

Of course we could have had no way of knowing this was coming, but I'm still annoyed that we didn't weight his contributions towards the start of the year.  If we had done that we would have been closer to the max.

I expect that he'll be employed again quickly, but I doubt he'll get such a great 401-K as he had at that job ever again :-(
More annoyance, I can only change my 401-K withholding once a quarter.  I guess I got super lucky that I was able to lower my 401-K in time for the 4th quarter.  Bah, how can they justily only allowing a change once a quarter?!!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4267 on: October 06, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »

I used to have intelligent colleagues (still have, work in software branch). We have been fantasizing at the lunch table about not letting your employer draw pre-taxes from you salary, but rather put it on a high interest bank account and pay the taxes in April next your, when you fill in your form. That would be most beneficial for yourself.
Once I sold a lot of stock in June and had to pay a really big sum of extra taxes. Then I wanted to wait paying those until April next year. But somehow the tax office noticed that I had these extra taxes and send me a bill for the extra amount already in August. Obviously you are not allowed to postpone your taxes for such a long time. The state needs this interest free loan from all taxpayers.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #4268 on: October 06, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »

You should get obihai and pair it with google voice. This service is free other than initial purchase price of $30-70 for the obihai. I've done it for myself, my parents, and my grandparents. You can't even tell it's a VOIP phone and you can transfer your home phone number to google voice if you don't want to lose it.

Erma

• Bristles
« Reply #4269 on: October 06, 2017, 11:13:11 AM »
I always brought and still bring my lunch to work. It seems to have worked as an example for my co-workers as a lot of them now also bring their lunch daily. The problem: The refrigerator is very small and it gets more and more difficult to put the food in there.

Marley09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4270 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »

*Blank stare*

Is this Roth or Traditional IRA?  I was under the impression that the IRA deduction line for AGI on the 1040 was for traditional IRA reporting only.  Am I missing a deduction with my Roth IRA contribution?

-Marley

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4271 on: October 06, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »

*Blank stare*

Is this Roth or Traditional IRA?  I was under the impression that the IRA deduction line for AGI on the 1040 was for traditional IRA reporting only.  Am I missing a deduction with my Roth IRA contribution?

-Marley

Traditional. That impression is correct. No, roth contributions do not get deducted.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4272 on: October 06, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
I always brought and still bring my lunch to work. It seems to have worked as an example for my co-workers as a lot of them now also bring their lunch daily. The problem: The refrigerator is very small and it gets more and more difficult to put the food in there.

My office doesn't have a fridge. Ice packs are pretty good however.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4273 on: October 06, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »

My office doesn't have a fridge. Ice packs are pretty good however.

This reminds me of the time I was grumbling a little about not being able to keep ice packs at work (because no fridge/freezer) for an injury I had, and my boss suggested I buy a cooler and a pile of ice packs and chill them down every night and carry it all to work and back every day (on the rush-hour NYC subway... five flights of stairs each way). She is not a very efficient person.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4274 on: October 07, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
I will quit my job on Jan. 2 , 2018 but since my boss is super-ultra nice, I donīt know how I will do it (speech line I will use)...

Keep it short and to the point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_resignation#/media/File:Letter_of_Resignation_of_Richard_M._Nixon,_1974.jpg

No explanations, no bullshit, no long goodbyes.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4275 on: October 07, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »

*Blank stare*

-Marley

Traditional. That impression is correct. No, roth contributions do not get deducted.

Roth does count for the Saver's Credit. Which is helpful.

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #4276 on: October 07, 2017, 10:43:12 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_resignation#/media/File:Letter_of_Resignation_of_Richard_M._Nixon,_1974.jpg

Hahahahaha, that's awesome. I'm going to resign as soon as my new position is signed and sealed. Now I'm googling famous resignation letters and I think I might just copy and paste.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4277 on: October 07, 2017, 10:55:36 PM »

Hahahahaha, that's awesome. I'm going to resign as soon as my new position is signed and sealed. Now I'm googling famous resignation letters and I think I might just copy and paste.

I just realized that letter is really good reason to never give more than 2 weeks notice.  I mean, the President left his job without even 2 weeks' notice.  (Yeah, I know the writing was on the wall, but still....)
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

chaskavitch

• Stubble
« Reply #4278 on: October 08, 2017, 06:35:49 AM »
I have three credit cards with decent referral bonus programs, for both myself and the person being referred. I don't know anyone (in person) who likes to juggle credit card rewards like I do, so the few people I've mentioned it to say things like "Oh, no, I only use one credit card so I don't get myself into trouble", or "That's way too many things to remember - why do you use different cards for groceries, restaurants, and everything else?".  Le sigh.  Why wouldn't you want a free $250 on $1000 of purchases AND 6% back on groceries?

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4279 on: October 08, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
I have three credit cards with decent referral bonus programs, for both myself and the person being referred. I don't know anyone (in person) who likes to juggle credit card rewards like I do, so the few people I've mentioned it to say things like "Oh, no, I only use one credit card so I don't get myself into trouble", or "That's way too many things to remember - why do you use different cards for groceries, restaurants, and everything else?".  Le sigh.  Why wouldn't you want a free $250 on $1000 of purchases AND 6% back on groceries?

Blue Cash Preferred or something else? AF? If it is an Amex, is it a charge card, or credit card?

My MPP is getting close to the limit on the # of credit cards Amex will let me have. Need to shift over to charge cards so that I can get more juicy signup bonuses.

chaskavitch

• Stubble
« Reply #4280 on: October 08, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

Blue Cash Preferred or something else? AF? If it is an Amex, is it a charge card, or credit card?

My MPP is getting close to the limit on the # of credit cards Amex will let me have. Need to shift over to charge cards so that I can get more juicy signup bonuses.

The grocery card is a Amex Blue Cash Preferred credit card, yeah - $75 for me for every person referred.  My Discover It card has a $50 bonus for both of us and they match reward points 1:1 at the end of the first year.  I definitely got a referral from someone on the forums for that one :).  Chase Freedom Unlimited is $100 for me, $150 on $500 in spending for them. 

DH is resistant to opening up new cards or bank accounts for bonuses, so I kind of do it slowly.  I've got a First Bank Anytime account that I need to close this month with a $200 bonus, and I'm just going to shift it all to a Blue Federal Credit Union account that returns 5% on up to $1000.  Why not?  Otherwise it is going to sit in our checking account, or at best in Ally at 1.2% interest.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4281 on: October 08, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »
What credit card do you use to get 6% on groceries?  Asking as a father of six...

chaskavitch

• Stubble
« Reply #4282 on: October 08, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
What credit card do you use to get 6% on groceries?  Asking as a father of six...

American Express Blue Cash Preferred (say, I've got a referral if you want it :). 

There is a $95/yr fee, but if you max out the grocery rewards with $6000 of grocery purchases a year, it is definitely worth it to pay the fee over getting 3% on the regular (free) Blue Cash card.  After that first $6000, you still get 1% back. 

Make sure your most-used store is included - they don't count stores like Target and Walmart and Costco.  King Soopers, Sprouts, Trader Joes, Safeway, etc, are all definitely categorized as "grocery".  We don't have Aldi here, so I can't tell you one way or the other.  Also make sure your store takes AmEx.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4283 on: October 08, 2017, 03:19:43 PM »

American Express Blue Cash Preferred (say, I've got a referral if you want it :). 

There is a $95/yr fee, but if you max out the grocery rewards with $6000 of grocery purchases a year, it is definitely worth it to pay the fee over getting 3% on the regular (free) Blue Cash card.  After that first $6000, you still get 1% back. 

Make sure your most-used store is included - they don't count stores like Target and Walmart and Costco.  King Soopers, Sprouts, Trader Joes, Safeway, etc, are all definitely categorized as "grocery".  We don't have Aldi here, so I can't tell you one way or the other.  Also make sure your store takes AmEx.
Ah, good to know.  Most of our groceries come from Walmart, although ever since they ended their price matching policy, we've been getting our produce from Aldi (which is right across the street).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4284 on: October 08, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
I got a merchandise return card from target for returning a gift for my kid's birthday. The value is $60 but I don't have much to buy in Target. So I'm not sure how long I should keep this card to use up that $60.

I can't transfer or sell or cash it out.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #4285 on: October 08, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
Just today, convo was talking about a normal size house in the HCOL area on the west coast is like $1M. So, into the calc is goes...

= $4774.15/mo payment, make min payments and pay an extra $718,695.06 in interest!!!
= If round up to an even $5k/mo, it saves you $68,000 and knocks 2.5 years off the loan.

1,000,000 @ 15 years @4%

Damn, I simply cannot imagine paying that kind of money for a house - much less borrowing it and paying interest!

I must be spoiled because I can buy a nice house for less than $80k (retail price), and a really nice one for less than $230,000.

That $387,257 saved in interest in the example above?  That's less than the SUM of 5 of the 6  houses I've bought in my city. 

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4286 on: October 08, 2017, 08:34:39 PM »
That blows my mind Swordguy. Is it nice where you live? Stuff to do, low crime etc? You can't get a parking space in Sydney for 80k!

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4287 on: October 09, 2017, 01:55:31 AM »
That blows my mind Swordguy. Is it nice where you live? Stuff to do, low crime etc? You can't get a parking space in Sydney for 80k!
Come to eastern Germany. Low crime yes, stuff to do... well...

But here you might get a castle for 80K ;)

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4288 on: October 09, 2017, 04:43:13 AM »

The maintenance on a castle is not cheap. Come to rural Norway, where you can get a farm for 80k: https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=96725057&fks=96725057

It is in the middle of the forest, so zero crime unless you commit it yourself. Plenty of stuff to do: it is not easy to grow anything on these farms, so you'll never run out of work. Plenty of parking space too.
Travelling to 71° Northern Latitude in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4289 on: October 09, 2017, 04:53:43 AM »

The maintenance on a castle is not cheap. Come to rural Norway, where you can get a farm for 80k: https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=96725057&fks=96725057

It is in the middle of the forest, so zero crime unless you commit it yourself. Plenty of stuff to do: it is not easy to grow anything on these farms, so you'll never run out of work. Plenty of parking space too.

The picture is amazing.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4290 on: October 09, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »

1,000,000 @ 15 years @4%

Damn, I simply cannot imagine paying that kind of money for a house - much less borrowing it and paying interest!

I must be spoiled because I can buy a nice house for less than $80k (retail price), and a really nice one for less than $230,000.

That $387,257 saved in interest in the example above?  That's less than the SUM of 5 of the 6  houses I've bought in my city.
And those numbers are conservative.  Usually interest rates on 15-year mortgages are lower than those on 30-year mortgages.

Imma

• Bristles
« Reply #4291 on: October 09, 2017, 06:09:34 AM »

I have travelled a few times in the area roughly between Berlin and Prague and it was very, very tempting to buy there. I would love to live somewhere rurally with not that much to do. I have always loved Germany. But that was mostly dreaming. In reality, if we ever move to Germany it will probably be to Niedersachsen (I'm Dutch). Maybe not as cheap, but still a lot of value for your money compared to the NL. What we are looking for in the future is a property with a bit of land and land is extremely expensive in here.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4292 on: October 09, 2017, 06:56:52 AM »

Including a spelling mistake in the title of the advertisement.

But this is exactly what we are planning to to after FIRE. Move out into the country to some really cheap place. Preferably somewhere near the ocean. But we count on being able to buy a decent house for 30% of what our current house costs.

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #4293 on: October 09, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »

1,000,000 @ 15 years @4%

And those numbers are conservative.  Usually interest rates on 15-year mortgages are lower than those on 30-year mortgages.

If by conservative you mean those numbers look high....yeah. Rates on a 15 are closer to 3.125 than to 4. APR is going to be a bit higher than 3.125. 30 year APR is still under 4.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4294 on: October 09, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »

1,000,000 @ 15 years @4%

If by conservative you mean those numbers look high....yeah. Rates on a 15 are closer to 3.125 than to 4. APR is going to be a bit higher than 3.125. 30 year APR is still under 4.
Sorry, I meant that the $387,257 is smaller than reality. 

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #4295 on: October 09, 2017, 07:28:27 PM »
OK, right, that makes sense. Given a 30 yr at 4% the 15 would likely be lower and in the comparison it isn't.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4296 on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »

I like this idea!  I can just picture an old farmer talking to his great-grandchildren:
"Back in my day, we walked uphill to school both ways, through driving snow!  And civilization was so far away that if we wanted crime we had to commit it ourselves!  We were told that crime in this area was to be one occurrence per hundred people per year, so every New Year's Eve I would go steal your great-uncle Bob's prize pig, and on New Year's Day he would come take it back.  Times were hard."
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4297 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »

I like this idea!  I can just picture an old farmer talking to his great-grandchildren:
"Back in my day, we walked uphill to school both ways, through driving snow!  And civilization was so far away that if we wanted crime we had to commit it ourselves!  We were told that crime in this area was to be one occurrence per hundred people per year, so every New Year's Eve I would go steal your great-uncle Bob's prize pig, and on New Year's Day he would come take it back.  Times were hard."

Usually, in those mountains, they stuck to making moonshine. Everybody knew about it, and not even the police cared unless you started peddling bad product to underage kids (younger than 14). I'm certain the buyer of that farm will find some weirdly bent metal pipes in the basement or barn.

Freedomin5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4298 on: October 12, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »

Usually, in those mountains, they stuck to making moonshine. Everybody knew about it, and not even the police cared unless you started peddling bad product to underage kids (younger than 14). I'm certain the buyer of that farm will find some weirdly bent metal pipes in the basement or barn.

That area is gorgeous! I can totally see turning one of those farms into a working farm/retreat centre/bed and breakfast. Unless it's like, an 8-hour drive away from civilization or something...which I can't tell because I don't know Norway's geography at all.

I guess that illustrates my MPP - other people find it annoying when I automatically try to optimize any situation. Live in an out of the way, rural place with gorgeous scenery? Start an AirBnB business! Complaining about low paying job? Get a side hustle tutoring wealthy kids!

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4299 on: October 21, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
When people try to book me via my business (offering clown like outsourced services to the wealthy) I often point them to lower cost solutions that don't involve paying me $$$$.