Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5094525 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #3500 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

As long as it's dishwasher safe, I wouldn't give half a shit that it once held dog urine.  If you own a dog, you probably have a decent amount of dog urine around your house (or you will once your dog gets older)

I'm not going to store my left overs on/eat off the once urine soaked carpet.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3501 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
I invested a hair under 50% of my gross income last year. I feel like I'm slacking.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3502 on: January 20, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
We had to bring a dog urine sample to the vet last night to confirm an infection in one of our dogs.  I had it in a plastic quart-sized container (one we use routinely to store leftovers).

The vet tech took it from me, and asked "Do you want the container back?"

I hesitated, and my girlfriend's eyes said "DON'T."

I said no.

I'll miss that container.  We have about 20 others just like it, and they are not expensive, but now we have one less.  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

Hahahahaha I laughed out loud at this. This is me.

This is my husband. I did NOT laugh at this.

I am still wondering about the collection process.  Ewwww

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3503 on: January 20, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
We had to bring a dog urine sample to the vet last night to confirm an infection in one of our dogs.  I had it in a plastic quart-sized container (one we use routinely to store leftovers).

I said no.

I'll miss that container.  We have about 20 others just like it, and they are not expensive, but now we have one less.  Surely no reasonable person would give half a shit.

Spoiler: show
'mid stream catch'. Wait til they squat, then scoot the container under. =P
You *did* say you were curious. You're welcome.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3504 on: January 20, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »

As long as it's dishwasher safe, I wouldn't give half a shit that it once held dog urine.  If you own a dog, you probably have a decent amount of dog urine around your house (or you will once your dog gets older)

True, but I do try to avoid storing food for extended periods of time on the sections of floor that have been used regularly for a toilet. I'm pretty prissy.
Ya, that's even pushing the 5 second rule.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3505 on: January 20, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
 I'l bet the veterinarian's wife has a nice collection of tupperware :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3506 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »

I said no.

Spoiler: show
'mid stream catch'. Wait til they squat, then scoot the container under. =P
You *did* say you were curious. You're welcome.
Yup, that's exactly what I did.  Far from the most disgusting thing I've done as a loving pet owner.  Owning pets is a great way to be less sensitive to grossness.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3507 on: January 20, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
Owning pets is a great way to be less sensitive to grossness.

So is having kids!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3508 on: January 20, 2017, 10:46:43 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3509 on: January 21, 2017, 02:46:04 AM »
Man ,you guys are uptight.  This is me eating lunch today.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3510 on: January 21, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
In my house it is clear that any food that is on the floor is the dog's, I have lost all claims.  Actually, that is part of her job description, if food is on the floor she eats it, and that makes the residue much easier for me to clean up.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3511 on: January 22, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »

You couldn't have balanced the burger on the cup of fries? Hahaha

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3512 on: January 22, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »

You couldn't have balanced the burger on the cup of fries? Hahaha

And get bun particles on my fries?  Ew.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3513 on: January 22, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Last week, the water heater died. Contacted landlord, etc, got a plumber out here on Saturday evening to put a new one in. Since the landlord is out of state, I made arrangements with her that I would pay for everything and deduct it from the next rent payment. Everything proceeded as planned, all good.

Cue today when I'm doing paying my bills, etc, and I realize that I now have a cc balance about 4 times higher than I'd planned for. Shifted some stuff around to make a big payment on the cc, but I still have a $1k balance to pay and have taken the checking account as low as I'm comfortable. I'm unwilling to pull that $ from savings or other accounts, and luckily that cc has a 0% interest rate on it. So I'll just let it ride until next month. But darn, I REALLY hate seeing that balance on the cc.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3514 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
Last week, the water heater died. Contacted landlord, etc, got a plumber out here on Saturday evening to put a new one in. Since the landlord is out of state, I made arrangements with her that I would pay for everything and deduct it from the next rent payment. Everything proceeded as planned, all good.

Cue today when I'm doing paying my bills, etc, and I realize that I now have a cc balance about 4 times higher than I'd planned for. Shifted some stuff around to make a big payment on the cc, but I still have a $1k balance to pay and have taken the checking account as low as I'm comfortable. I'm unwilling to pull that $ from savings or other accounts, and luckily that cc has a 0% interest rate on it. So I'll just let it ride until next month. But darn, I REALLY hate seeing that balance on the cc.

Are you sure it's a 0% interest rate on all new purchases?  Or just on balance transfers?  Just asking because long ago I got burned.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3515 on: January 23, 2017, 11:28:48 PM »

I can only imagine that water bottle was filled from a convenient, nearby receptacle. :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3516 on: January 24, 2017, 07:02:17 AM »

Are you sure it's a 0% interest rate on all new purchases?  Or just on balance transfers?  Just asking because long ago I got burned.

Yep, I confirmed 0% on new purchases. Also got burned once, so you're not alone. :)

TrMama

« Reply #3517 on: January 24, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
Got the official notice from the mortgage company and land title office yesterday that our mortgage is officially discharged. Yay!

Immediately called the property insurance company to ask for the "no mortgage" discount. It will apply, but they won't drop our premiums until the policy renews, in August. Drat, 8 more months of paying inflated premiums.

I'm seriously annoyed that whenever we owe them money, we're expected to pay right away, but when they owe us money it has to wait 8 months.

I'm also annoyed that I can't complain about being overcharged to anyone in real life. The fact we've paid off the mortgage isn't something I like to advertise.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3518 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
Got the official notice from the mortgage company and land title office yesterday that our mortgage is officially discharged. Yay!

Immediately called the property insurance company to ask for the "no mortgage" discount. It will apply, but they won't drop our premiums until the policy renews, in August. Drat, 8 more months of paying inflated premiums.

I'm seriously annoyed that whenever we owe them money, we're expected to pay right away, but when they owe us money it has to wait 8 months.

I'm also annoyed that I can't complain about being overcharged to anyone in real life. The fact we've paid off the mortgage isn't something I like to advertise.

That sounds like a great reason to shop around insurance. Seriously, do it. I've had no problems getting existing policies modified mid-policy when something changed. Find a good deal, then call them back and ask them again, because now you've got leverage.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3519 on: January 24, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »

That sounds like a great reason to shop around insurance. Seriously, do it. I've had no problems getting existing policies modified mid-policy when something changed. Find a good deal, then call them back and ask them again, because now you've got leverage.

Yes, this. Except if they're not giving you the discount now, it's probably because there's some technical reason they can't change your premium, rather than an unwillingness to. So I would go into the transaction prepared to switch if they still can't make the change.

Or, call your state attorney general's office and report them. You qualify for a lower rate and aren't getting it. AGs just LOVE protecting the little guy from those big bad insurance companies.*

*I work for a property & casualty insurance company. AGs can be overzealous in their protective instincts, but most of the time their hearts are in the right place.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #3520 on: January 25, 2017, 05:29:06 AM »

If you still have your ridiculously long insurance agreement somewhere, give it a read. It's possible your insurance premium is actually due once a year at the beginning of the term, and that your monthly payments are a "convenience" the company charges you extra for. That's how mine works.

In that case, I think you're technically paying insurance for the whole year based on the conditions in place on the first day of the yearly term, so you might not be able to make changes mid-term (or even get out of paying for the rest of the year if you want to switch companies).

Still worth looking around, though. Even if your current company can't give you the mortgage discount, they might suddenly find another discount you qualify for if they're afraid that you're going to leave.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3521 on: January 25, 2017, 06:59:43 AM »

If you still have your ridiculously long insurance agreement somewhere, give it a read. It's possible your insurance premium is actually due once a year at the beginning of the term, and that your monthly payments are a "convenience" the company charges you extra for. That's how mine works.

In that case, I think you're technically paying insurance for the whole year based on the conditions in place on the first day of the yearly term, so you might not be able to make changes mid-term (or even get out of paying for the rest of the year if you want to switch companies).

Still worth looking around, though. Even if your current company can't give you the mortgage discount, they might suddenly find another discount you qualify for if they're afraid that you're going to leave.

Definitely read your policy, as Gerard suggests, but in the US at least, premiums are subject to change in the middle of the policy period based on changes to the risk insured. If you added onto your house, the insurance company wouldn't wait until the end of the policy to start collecting on that. And the insurance companies can't have their cake and eat it too (charging extra in the middle of the year if the risk goes up but not providing a refund if the risk goes down), at least not without prompting their customers to go to competitors or inviting regulatory issues.

TrMama

« Reply #3522 on: January 25, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »

Definitely read your policy, as Gerard suggests, but in the US at least, premiums are subject to change in the middle of the policy period based on changes to the risk insured. If you added onto your house, the insurance company wouldn't wait until the end of the policy to start collecting on that. And the insurance companies can't have their cake and eat it too (charging extra in the middle of the year if the risk goes up but not providing a refund if the risk goes down), at least not without prompting their customers to go to competitors or inviting regulatory issues.

This is exactly my beef with them. If I'd added a pool or a fireplace or some other thing that increased the risk of my making a claim I'd be expected to pay the increased premium immediately. However, when the shoe is on the other foot they can just keep my money? That really isn't playing fair.

The points about shopping around are well taken. The thing that's always stopped us from switching in the past is that we live in an earthquake prone area and the earthquake rider on this policy has a reasonable level of coverage. Since we got this policy the standard for earthquake coverage from all insurers seems to have undergone a major downturn. If I switched, the earthquake coverage offered by any other policy I've been able to find is basically useless and we're not comfortable giving that up.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3523 on: January 25, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
Do people still hold mortgage burning parties?

DW and I want to have one when the day comes but we fear it will be in bad taste b/c so few of the people we know will be mortgage (or car payment) free...

Don't want to brag too loudly.

TrMama

« Reply #3524 on: January 25, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »

DW and I want to have one when the day comes but we fear it will be in bad taste b/c so few of the people we know will be mortgage (or car payment) free...

We didn't because we think we're too young for that to be in good taste. However, I'm seriously considering framing the mortgage discharge notice so we can hang it on the wall. May have to put it somewhere guests won't see it . . .

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3525 on: January 25, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »

We didn't because we think we're too young for that to be in good taste. However, I'm seriously considering framing the mortgage discharge notice so we can hang it on the wall. May have to put it somewhere guests won't see it . . .

I'm still kicking myself for not having a "zero net worth" party and inviting friends who would appreciate such a thing, after my student loans and retirement savings averaged to zero. (I've heard people serve Coke Zero, Cheerios, donuts, etc.) I think that's easier for people to celebrate than paying off something like a mortgage, which seems unattainable to so many people. If that fits your scenario, maybe you could consider doing that instead of a mortgage payoff party?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3526 on: January 25, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
...I'm still kicking myself for not having a "zero net worth" party and inviting friends who would appreciate such a thing, after my student loans and retirement savings averaged to zero. (I've heard people serve Coke Zero, Cheerios, donuts, etc.) ....

My MPP is that Coke Zero wasn't invented when I got to zero net worth, (~1992?).

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #3527 on: January 25, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »

True, but I do try to avoid storing food for extended periods of time on the sections of floor that have been used regularly for a toilet. I'm pretty prissy.

Yeah, no offense to those willing to eat and drink out of containers that formerly held a sick dog's piss, but this kind of thing is why years ago I stopped eating or drinking anything from other people's homes.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3528 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »
Back around thanksgiving I found an Otterbox phone case at goodwill for $2.  It wasn't new but it was in decent shape. I think I had my hands full and was going to go back to it after trying clothing on, but I forgot. I desperately need a new phone case but now I can't make myself buy the decent $11 case from Amazon because $2 has been set as my new acceptable cost for one.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3529 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:37 PM »

My auto insurance dropped when I retired, but there was no rate reduction when I paid off my mortgage. I did a quick google, and the only result I found for a paid off mortgage insurance discount was for Canadian insurers.

So I am wondering if that discount is just a Canadian thing, or does it apply to the USA too?

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3530 on: January 25, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »

Just go the Scottish route and paint the front door red.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3531 on: January 25, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »

Yeah, no offense to those willing to eat and drink out of containers that formerly held a sick dog's piss, but this kind of thing is why years ago I stopped eating or drinking anything from other people's homes.

Do you actually believe there's a chance of harm?  Because I'm a certified germaphobe, but I'm rational.  I'll eat off a toilet bowl if it's been through the autoclave.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3532 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »
...I'm still kicking myself for not having a "zero net worth" party and inviting friends who would appreciate such a thing, after my student loans and retirement savings averaged to zero. (I've heard people serve Coke Zero, Cheerios, donuts, etc.) ....

My MPP is that Coke Zero wasn't invented when I got to zero net worth, (~1992?).

My MPP is that I've had a positive net worth since I was a toddler, so I never got to have a zero net worth party. (And hopefully I never will since I'd be approaching it from the wrong side...)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3533 on: January 26, 2017, 04:27:32 AM »

Do you actually believe there's a chance of harm?  Because I'm a certified germaphobe, but I'm rational.  I'll eat off a toilet bowl if it's been through the autoclave.

Yeah, that sounds like a disproportionate assessment of risk that has negative consequence for your life ie. being unable to share a meal with friends when they made it. I'm honestly not being snarky and mean this in a genuine and friendly way, but I think that makes you an excellent candidate for therapy and your quality of life would be improved by overcoming this. Obviously you are free to tell me to F Off. 

SuperMex

• Stubble
« Reply #3534 on: January 26, 2017, 04:41:34 AM »
I was taking Microbiology in college. One of the projects was to go around the school and take samples of different areas, grow them out, and identify the colonies using a Bergey's manual.

I took samples of toilet seats, handle to the bathroom, cafeteria tables, cafeteria tray, different floor areas, all kinds of places.

I was shocked that the most harmful and highest quantity of bacteria were on the cafeteria trays and secondly the bathroom door handle. The toilet seat had almost none.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3535 on: January 26, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »
I was taking Microbiology in college. One of the projects was to go around the school and take samples of different areas, grow them out, and identify the colonies using a Bergey's manual.

I took samples of toilet seats, handle to the bathroom, cafeteria tables, cafeteria tray, different floor areas, all kinds of places.

I was shocked that the most harmful and highest quantity of bacteria were on the cafeteria trays and secondly the bathroom door handle. The toilet seat had almost none.

When I was teaching Computer Science in High School, this was an annual experiment for the MicroBio students. They would often come by and ask to swab the keyboards. They often found nasty stuff. No real surprise to me.

Just curious, what is the connection between your story and the MPP topic of this thread?

PhoenixHeat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3536 on: January 26, 2017, 06:50:42 AM »
I can no longer see a giant house with a huge truck, giant boat, and ridiculous-sized camper out front without wondering how much the people who 'own' them owe.
For me it's this one. I can't help but think or assume how unhealthy people are when I see all these things. I typically immediately stop myself from being judgemental and think there must be some reasonable explanation. My rational mind says most likely there isn't one and the folks either have lots of debt or low net worth.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3537 on: January 26, 2017, 08:17:50 AM »
My auto insurance dropped when I retired, but there was no rate reduction when I paid off my mortgage. I did a quick google, and the only result I found for a paid off mortgage insurance discount was for Canadian insurers.

So I am wondering if that discount is just a Canadian thing, or does it apply to the USA too?

Some carriers offer it in the form of a rating factor related to the number of lienholders.  Most don't.  You can also usually get a full-pay discount, but only at the time of purchase or renewal.

Even if they don't offer a discount, make sure you get them to remove the lienholder right away because if you have a loss, the payment would be made out to both of you, and it could delay the time until you had access to any settlements.  Also, you can shop your policy anytime, so if you are feeling like your rate is not that great, call up a few carriers and ask for quotes.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3538 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »

Yes I do. A dishwasher sanitizes, not sterilizes. It will also spread the residue to every other object in the dishwasher, and to the interior of the dishwasher itself.

About the autoclave, you are right. You could sterilize a toilet or even a turd. But I still wouldn't want to eat it.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3539 on: January 26, 2017, 08:18:56 PM »

Yeah, that sounds like a disproportionate assessment of risk that has negative consequence for your life ie. being unable to share a meal with friends when they made it. I'm honestly not being snarky and mean this in a genuine and friendly way, but I think that makes you an excellent candidate for therapy and your quality of life would be improved by overcoming this. Obviously you are free to tell me to F Off.

I realize that I am the one that is odd, and your intentions are good. So although I have no intention of doing so, I am not at all offended by your advice to seek therapy.

It's not the risk. It's the unappetizing grossness.

I'm an introvert anyway, so it affects me a lot less that you might guess.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3540 on: January 26, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »
Don't worry, all my best psychological diagnoses come from the Internet.  Last I checked I have asshole syndrome and need to take an FU pill twice daily

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3541 on: January 27, 2017, 04:51:30 AM »

I realize that I am the one that is odd, and your intentions are good. So although I have no intention of doing so, I am not at all offended by your advice to seek therapy.

It's not the risk. It's the unappetizing grossness.

I'm an introvert anyway, so it affects me a lot less that you might guess.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit intended. And if you don't enjoy eating with others anyway, I guess it's not really impacting your life at all.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3542 on: January 27, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
My MPP is that I've improved my diet so much (eating mostly fresh legumes, fruit, veggies, nuts, & seeds) that when my husband asked me if I want to go to our favorite restaurant I had to reply "I'm not sure if I like that place any more." To which he responded: "Oh, no, not another one!" The places I will pay for pre-made food are quickly diminishing.

I may just grin and bear it on my anniversary next month by forking over the $50+ for the place we (or more so 'he', nowadays) love to go.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3543 on: January 27, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
My MPP is that I've improved my diet so much (eating mostly fresh legumes, fruit, veggies, nuts, & seeds) that when my husband asked me if I want to go to our favorite restaurant I had to reply "I'm not sure if I like that place any more." To which he responded: "Oh, no, not another one!" The places I will pay for pre-made food are quickly diminishing.

I may just grin and bear it on my anniversary next month by forking over the $50+ for the place we (or more so 'he', nowadays) love to go.

Same, my cooking skills are getting quite good (sorry for the big head, I've always really enjoyed it and been concentrating on trying new things the last few years). We got a Chinese takeaway a few weeks ago as a big treat... and it was disgusting. So gelatinous. I couldn't eat it.

Tonight, I'm doing the stirfry and I have just asked my DH to pick up some prawn crackers! Yum.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3544 on: January 27, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »

The biggest downside to getting good at DIY! We certainly run into this, but at least DH is on board. We went to lunch at a random cafe type place with his parents. Afterwards, he said, "it's crazy, now wherever we go I just see Cisco products. It makes me not want to eat anywhere- it's all the same crap in different combinations". The only stuff we eat out anymore are ethnic foods we can't manage (ie, I'm not up to restaurant level for thai cooking- I can do damn good mexican though, so we will go out for thai, but not mexican). And sometimes pizza, because a real handmade pizza done in a wood fired oven? I can't replicate that flavor.

But yeah. Can't stand to go for burgers or steak anymore. Seems like such a waste.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #3545 on: January 27, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »

The biggest downside to getting good at DIY! We certainly run into this, but at least DH is on board. We went to lunch at a random cafe type place with his parents. Afterwards, he said, "it's crazy, now wherever we go I just see Cisco products. It makes me not want to eat anywhere- it's all the same crap in different combinations". The only stuff we eat out anymore are ethnic foods we can't manage (ie, I'm not up to restaurant level for thai cooking- I can do damn good mexican though, so we will go out for thai, but not mexican). And sometimes pizza, because a real handmade pizza done in a wood fired oven? I can't replicate that flavor.

But yeah. Can't stand to go for burgers or steak anymore. Seems like such a waste.

I was confused at first, but then realized you probably meant Sysco. Cisco is a network equipment vendor that gets way too much of my institution's infrastructure money.

I really know the change in tastes. Back in the old days (pre MMM, BC) we'd go out to eat several times a week. We really enjoyed it then, but now whenever I've gone out to eat, I leave disappointed. Most restaurant food is meh, and so expensive compared to home cooking!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3546 on: January 27, 2017, 09:34:53 AM »

I was confused at first, but then realized you probably meant Sysco. Cisco is a network equipment vendor that gets way too much of my institution's infrastructure money.

I really know the change in tastes. Back in the old days (pre MMM, BC) we'd go out to eat several times a week. We really enjoyed it then, but now whenever I've gone out to eat, I leave disappointed. Most restaurant food is meh, and so expensive compared to home cooking!

Ooops! Phonetic spelling strikes again. Thank you for the correction!

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3547 on: January 27, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
My MPP is that I've improved my diet so much (eating mostly legumes, fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, & seeds) that when my husband asked me if I want to go to our favorite restaurant I had to reply "I'm not sure if I like that place any more." To which he responded: "Oh, no, not another one!" The places I will pay for pre-made food are quickly diminishing.

Same, my cooking skills are getting quite good (sorry for the big head, I've always really enjoyed it and been concentrating on trying new things the last few years). We got a Chinese takeaway a few weeks ago as a big treat... and it was disgusting. So gelatinous. I couldn't eat it.

Tonight, I'm doing the stirfry and I have just asked my DH to pick up some prawn crackers! Yum.

Yeah, American-Chinese is even more greasy than the Chinese I grew up with in New Zealand. I was playing a video game last night (World of Warcraft for my fellow nerds out there) with the husband and he plays a panda. I felt for a moment that I wanted Panda Express but then I remembered that it's too heavy/greasy/gelantinous and I don't actually enjoy it. This is even considering I always ordered the mixed veggies with teriyaki grilled chicken (the lightest thing on their menu).

Homemade stir-fry does sound tempting, though...It must almost be lunch time.

I have been considering trying to make pizza, since husband craves it a lot, but I don't have a pizza stone. Maybe one will show up second hand somewhere - but I'd have to actually be looking for it since I don't browse stores. He's not so fussy on the wood fired oven - places like that around here are extortionately priced.

Thai seems like it would be easy (says the person who always had a knack for cooking...) to replicate but maybe I've just had lackluster Thai food all my life!

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #3548 on: January 27, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »

Ya know I never thought I needed a wood fired pizza oven until I bought house with one.  Now I don't know how I lived without one for so long.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3549 on: January 27, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
I have been considering trying to make pizza, since husband craves it a lot, but I don't have a pizza stone. Maybe one will show up second hand somewhere - but I'd have to actually be looking for it since I don't browse stores. He's not so fussy on the wood fired oven - places like that around here are extortionately priced.

You can make great pizza on an outdoor grill!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!