Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5167133 times)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #9300 on: June 13, 2022, 01:10:52 PM »
Thanks for the laugh, @jinga nation

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #9301 on: June 13, 2022, 03:04:47 PM »
I have 1GB of data per month and use about half that.  I do things via wifi, but I only do them when I am home.  Things can wait.  DH has zero data, he still has a flip phone.  For him, everything waits until he gets back to his desk top, and the wifi at home.  Loren

Same. I have WiFi access at work and home.

The future is either very bright or very dim, I'm just not sure which.  Probably because the phone doesn't have a flashlight :D.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #9302 on: June 14, 2022, 07:37:38 PM »
We closed the kids’ original savings accounts today and move the money into new accounts at our bank. Now we can more easily manage them along with our own. So that’s a win.

But the MPP… the kids wanted to keep a little of the cash to buy something. I wanted “money out = money in” in the tracking software, so I just gave them a little cash out of my wallet rather than complicate the data entry.

My kids enjoying pestering asking for money from their minor's accounts. We ask them "how much and what for?"
They say $1-$5, but don't say what for.
Then ask again, "something useful or junk?"
Them: "We just want a couple of bucks to buy candy from the dollar store"
Me: "here's 5. buy yourself something, and you know what I like. don't tell your mum."

The bank statement police can't find out, and i'll take the hit if someone squeals. Don't need no stinkin' data entry and rile up the accounting po-po. :p
Sometimes the goodies are shared with the po-po.

Ah. Reminds me of one of my cardinal rules when I was a kid: never ask Mom for money, always ask Dad.

Ask Mom for 5€, get 5€ - after negotiations (includes explaining why your monthly allowance has already run out).
Ask Dad for 5€, get 10€ or 20€ if you're lucky. Unless it's for McDonald's, then lie or get 0€ and a lecture.

(*) ok it wasn't Euros, it was French Francs. I'm that old *sigh*

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9303 on: June 15, 2022, 07:09:04 AM »
Ah. Reminds me of one of my cardinal rules when I was a kid: never ask Mom for money, always ask Dad.

Ask Mom for 5€, get 5€ - after negotiations (includes explaining why your monthly allowance has already run out).
Ask Dad for 5€, get 10€ or 20€ if you're lucky. Unless it's for McDonald's, then lie or get 0€ and a lecture.

I mean, your age is under your name, but even so, it's definitely possible to be under 30 and have this same experience, even if the parents in question shifted to talking in euros instead of francs in 2002. (In Spain in 2006, a lot of shops in residential neighborhoods still listed prices in both pesetas and euros, and the peseta price was first in real estate listings. Though maybe things were different in France.)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9304 on: June 15, 2022, 07:33:34 AM »
We closed the kids’ original savings accounts today and move the money into new accounts at our bank. Now we can more easily manage them along with our own. So that’s a win.

But the MPP… the kids wanted to keep a little of the cash to buy something. I wanted “money out = money in” in the tracking software, so I just gave them a little cash out of my wallet rather than complicate the data entry.

My kids enjoying pestering asking for money from their minor's accounts. We ask them "how much and what for?"
Me: "here's 5. buy yourself something, and you know what I like. don't tell your mum."

The bank statement police can't find out, and i'll take the hit if someone squeals. Don't need no stinkin' data entry and rile up the accounting po-po. :p

I do this, but then I tell their mom, because I want to know whether they can keep the secret or not.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9305 on: June 15, 2022, 08:07:58 AM »

I mean, your age is under your name, but even so, it's definitely possible to be under 30 and have this same experience, even if the parents in question shifted to talking in euros instead of francs in 2002. (In Spain in 2006, a lot of shops in residential neighborhoods still listed prices in both pesetas and euros, and the peseta price was first in real estate listings. Though maybe things were different in France.)

In the Netherlands, so many people still calculated prices back to Dutch guilders. The last time I've heard someone do that can't be more than a couple of years ago. People do it especially with real estate prices (can you believe that house sold for 1 million guilders??) or "can you believe a box of eggs costs 6 guilders now??. Funny that people only ever do this when it's a negative. I've never heard anyone say "can you believe I make 10.000 guilders a month?"

I think I'm the last generation that can still easily make those calculations. I don't think I'll ever forget that 1 euro is 2,2037 guilders. I'm in my early 30s, I was just starting highschool when the change happened. I think many kids only a few years younger aren't able to make the calculation. In one of my first jobs, our outdated financial software was still based on guilders instead of Euro! They added "euro" as a foreign currency in the software as a work-around.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9306 on: June 15, 2022, 11:12:42 AM »

I do this, but then I tell their mom, because I want to know whether they can keep the secret or not.

yes. mine end up spilling eventually. the perps are asked if they want some nice chocolate. but being MY perps, they reflexively reply, "no, we already had some candy from the dollar store."
and then immediately, "we also got dad some, did he share with you?"
rats. clever little scheming rats.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #9307 on: June 16, 2022, 11:59:59 AM »

In the Netherlands, so many people still calculated prices back to Dutch guilders. The last time I've heard someone do that can't be more than a couple of years ago. People do it especially with real estate prices (can you believe that house sold for 1 million guilders??) or "can you believe a box of eggs costs 6 guilders now??. Funny that people only ever do this when it's a negative. I've never heard anyone say "can you believe I make 10.000 guilders a month?"

I think I'm the last generation that can still easily make those calculations. I don't think I'll ever forget that 1 euro is 2,2037 guilders. I'm in my early 30s, I was just starting highschool when the change happened. I think many kids only a few years younger aren't able to make the calculation. In one of my first jobs, our outdated financial software was still based on guilders instead of Euro! They added "euro" as a foreign currency in the software as a work-around.

Hard as I try, I can't remember when I stopped doing that in my head. I took to it really fast for day-to-day stuff, but it did take me a few years for super-big-ticket items. like housing prices - mostly because all my reference points were in Francs. I was 28 when the change happened.

Oddly, when I moved to the US, I stopped converting USD to EUR super fast.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9308 on: June 19, 2022, 01:54:52 PM »
I bought a bunch of this wine but I can never drink it.  Buy and hold

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9309 on: June 19, 2022, 02:15:25 PM »

No sour grapes allowed over this decision.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9310 on: June 19, 2022, 06:12:37 PM »

No sour grapes allowed over this decision.

How many  hogsheads make a boglehead?

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9311 on: June 20, 2022, 02:03:49 PM »
I sold one of my apartments and used part of the money to make an extra payment on the other. The loan was split in three different loans. I am only paying one of the loans down, the one with the smallest amount. It looks nicer in the statements when the other loans have even numbers. I could make the extra payment through the app so I made such a large payment that only this months payment was left to pay. This so that this months payment would not be messed up. I also made an extra payment on one the other loans. Somehow the bank needs to deal with the fact that the loans where the payment is made will be fully paid this month. First, I thought I would call and deal talk with their customer service about how to solve the issue. As I sold my other apartment it should lower my payment significantly but I read some of reviews on internet that they are not good with dealing with company owners as I am now. So I decided to wait and see how they choose to deal with the issue so that I hopefully will not need to mention that to the bank.  It is kind of annoying to wait until the end of the month but I realised as I am typning this that I can actually pay the mortgage now so that I will probably get a faster answer.

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #9312 on: June 20, 2022, 04:45:22 PM »
This week for the first time in I don't know how long I had to actually wait an entire week for my paycheque to hit my bank account before I could pay a bill instead of paying it right away. This is because I'm finally being responsible and have set up regular, automatic contributions to my RRSP and TFSA instead of just letting the money pile up and then making irregular, manual contributions a couple times a year.  But it was annoying waiting for the money to come in! Is this what people who live paycheque-to-paycheque feel like all the time??? Horrors!

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #9313 on: June 21, 2022, 09:29:19 AM »
I had an Dr. appointment card on my computer desk for almost a year. The appointment time came, I showed up and the receptionist said I was late, I ask the time, I was exactly on time. I called my wife and said there was card on my computer please take a picture and send it. She related the time on the card and I said, I know, but I want a picture to show the receptionist. The receptionist corrected me, after looking at this for almost a year, I got it wrong. So, anyway, I showed up at 9:50.
Sorry the contrast got a little messed up when I took the picture.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:01:21 AM by Tempname23 »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9314 on: June 21, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »
I had an Dr. appointment card on my computer desk for almost a year. The appointment time came, I showed up and the receptionist said I was late, I ask the time, I was exactly on time. I called my wife and said there was card on my computer please take a picture and send it. She related the time on the card and I said, I know, but I want a picture to show the receptionist. The receptionist corrected me, after looking at this for almost a year, I got it wrong. So, anyway, I showed up at 9:50.

Is that zero supposed to be an a for am and it is 9:15? Yeah, I see why you messed up, hopefully they helped you anyway.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9315 on: June 21, 2022, 11:23:48 AM »
Most people who visit us tend to make comments along the lines of "I guess you have what you need." And I will often respond that we also have what we want.

But really, as we declutter and clean for moving back to the boat, I find myself wondering why we ever thought we wanted or needed all this STUFF.

The buy nothing group is addictive, though. Take a picture, post on Facebook, message the first person to respond, leave it on the porch. Boom: crapola disappears into someone else's hoard!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9316 on: June 21, 2022, 03:44:46 PM »

Is that zero supposed to be an a for am and it is 9:15? Yeah, I see why you messed up, hopefully they helped you anyway.

I have no idea what I’m looking at. I probably would have asked the receptionist to use a higher resolution card

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9317 on: June 21, 2022, 04:03:04 PM »
I said it when we moved 8 years ago and I am saying it again now. Next time, they can keep their deposit and clean the place themselves. I always think "how hard can it be?" But dang, it really is hard work to scrub scrub scrub every surface :(

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9318 on: June 21, 2022, 04:11:39 PM »
@ixtap in Sydney having any money taken out of your deposit makes it super hard to rent again so a couple of houses ago we started asking the letting agent which cleaning company they use and hiring them directly to do the work for us because yeah life is too short for this nonsense.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9319 on: June 21, 2022, 05:03:18 PM »
@ixtap in Sydney having any money taken out of your deposit makes it super hard to rent again so a couple of houses ago we started asking the letting agent which cleaning company they use and hiring them directly to do the work for us because yeah life is too short for this nonsense.

It doesn't help that everything was decent quality, but is 20 years old. So it is mostly solid, but the finishes are worn and you don't know when you are trying to remove the last remnants of finish vs build up.

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #9320 on: June 22, 2022, 06:11:47 AM »

Yes it says 9:15, but I saw it as 9:50, and no, they said if you are 15 minutes late the doc won't see you. The zero is a circle around AM. A bit silly, how many dermatologists have appointments at 9:15PM. 
  I'm pretty sure it's an eyesight thing, my wife and I both saw it as 9:50, both my kids saw it as 9:15. I was ticked off, they offered me an appointment for the next day, but I was still ticked off, and just said forget it. It was a yearly checkup just to see if I have anything that needs attention, I never have, but I have had many moles froze off just for appearance sake and a few skin tags.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9321 on: June 22, 2022, 08:34:04 AM »

Yes it says 9:15, but I saw it as 9:50, and no, they said if you are 15 minutes late the doc won't see you. The zero is a circle around AM. A bit silly, how many dermatologists have appointments at 9:15PM. 
  I'm pretty sure it's an eyesight thing, my wife and I both saw it as 9:50, both my kids saw it as 9:15. I was ticked off, they offered me an appointment for the next day, but I was still ticked off, and just said forget it. It was a yearly checkup just to see if I have anything that needs attention, I never have, but I have had many moles froze off just for appearance sake and a few skin tags.

I am impressed that you hung on to that card for a year. I'm also surprised that the office didn't send reminders, but more likely you got them and either disregarded them or your brain saw what it expected to see.

Don't be annoyed with them. Be annoyed with yourself. That was your error. And make another appointment to get your skin checked, because skipping is just stupid. And you and your wife should get your eyes checked if you haven't recently.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9322 on: June 22, 2022, 09:57:40 AM »
Do you get appointment reminders from doctors in the US?

That would never happen here in Germany (at least if you are puplic insured). All doctors have more patients then they need and their nurses don't have the time to waste half a working day per day on the phone reminding people, especially with Corona problems. Also it would annoy a lot of people I guess.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9323 on: June 22, 2022, 10:04:24 AM »

That would never happen here in Germany (at least if you are puplic insured). All doctors have more patients then they need and their nurses don't have the time to waste half a working day per day on the phone reminding people, especially with Corona problems. Also it would annoy a lot of people I guess.
I get automated reminders via text message or e-mail. It's in a computer system already, basically no effort to set up. I never get phone call reminders.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9324 on: June 22, 2022, 11:14:32 AM »

I get a phone call from my doctor, and a text from my dentist, the day before my appointment.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9325 on: June 22, 2022, 08:09:06 PM »

My hospital in the Netherlands sends me automatic reminders by text before my appointment! It's necessary especially as since Covid you need to fill in a digital form confirming you don't have Covid symptoms. Even after the digital reminder many people still forget to fill it in and all those forgetful people block the hospital entry, it annoys me a lot.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9326 on: June 22, 2022, 08:26:30 PM »

My hospital in the Netherlands sends me automatic reminders by text before my appointment! It's necessary especially as since Covid you need to fill in a digital form confirming you don't have Covid symptoms. Even after the digital reminder many people still forget to fill it in and all those forgetful people block the hospital entry, it annoys me a lot.

All of our providers (US) also have automated systems. Some do text, call and email.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #9327 on: June 22, 2022, 09:06:39 PM »

All of our providers (US) also have automated systems. Some do text, call and email.

In Germany myself, most doctors offices won't send a reminder however some regularly call the day before an appointment to remind, and when making appointments with offices via TerMed and doctolib I get email reminders.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9328 on: June 22, 2022, 10:34:47 PM »

OMG, my dentist does all three, which drives me nuts. Then they send a follow-up "Rate our Service" email, which I always ignore. For a while, I was getting every text twice, which was definitely annoying.

The card was too fuzzy for me to make out. I'm surprised they didn't remind you or try to work you in. I might have phrased it differently, but I second Sibley's admonishment not to wait another year.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #9329 on: June 23, 2022, 07:42:25 AM »

Yep. I appreciate getting ONE text or email reminder, but I find phone calls immensely annoying. Most of the providers I use regularly do call. Some also send a text and/or an email. At that point I'm like "I KNOOOOOOOOOOOW, damn".

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9330 on: June 23, 2022, 08:37:45 AM »

In Sweden you also get text and sometimes even email remainders for your doctors and dentist appointment. And basically for most other appointments.

I booked some restaurants through internet and they basically reminded the day before and the same day with a link if you wanted to cancel your appointment.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9331 on: June 23, 2022, 01:36:19 PM »
My doctor's office gives 2 reminder calls and 2 reminder texts (all automated) for a single appointment. It's super annoying!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9332 on: June 23, 2022, 02:40:56 PM »
I was thinking I had a dentist appointment at the end of this week, but thanks to this thread, I realized I hadn't seen any reminders from them. Sure enough, it's next month. Thanks!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9333 on: June 23, 2022, 04:37:30 PM »
I was thinking I had a dentist appointment at the end of this week, but thanks to this thread, I realized I hadn't seen any reminders from them. Sure enough, it's next month. Thanks!

I thought I was making an appointment for next week, but it turned out to be an appointment for this time next month. We always get next day appointments, so not sure why I could only make next month appointments online...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9334 on: June 26, 2022, 06:33:09 AM »
Even though I e-filed on time with the IRS, they still haven't done a blessed thing with my return.

My big concern is that my $5k in IBonds from the refund isn't earning interest yet.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9335 on: June 26, 2022, 08:05:43 AM »

OMG, my dentist does all three, which drives me nuts. Then they send a follow-up "Rate our Service" email, which I always ignore. For a while, I was getting every text twice, which was definitely annoying.

The card was too fuzzy for me to make out. I'm surprised they didn't remind you or try to work you in. I might have phrased it differently, but I second Sibley's admonishment not to wait another year.

We get all three (phone call, email, SMS) from physician, dentist, eye doc, and any other specialist if we need to see. And multiple times, a week or 3 days in advance, and the day before. Dentist's office also sends automated alerts an hour prior to appointment. I'm glad for all methods of communications.

That card, at the low resolution, looked like 9:15a. But mistakes happen, and it is frustrating. I can see why it is irritating to have to wait for another time slot on the next day, especially if you have to jiggle work schedule and meetings, but I see their view of "can't go back to the past 35 minutes, so best case we fit you in tomorrow". C'est la vie.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9336 on: June 27, 2022, 09:36:39 PM »
I spent ~ 80 bucks today on 4 things that were not on my list when I went into the store. However, 2 similar items (one was the same model, but different color) were sitting in my Amazon cart, amounting to $90. Still feel a little bad about getting extras.

The good news is I deleted the items from Amazon immediately so that they didn't get purchased accidentally.

Once home, I heard DH tell his father "We wanted to do that, but our finances wouldn't allow it" and I had no idea what he could possibly be talking about. He was telling him we weren't able to purchase this year's ibonds before May. That is our big financial failing...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:12:20 AM by ixtap »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9337 on: June 29, 2022, 06:07:18 PM »
I saw a dead cat next to the road the other day, and my reaction was to remind myself to check the top is in thread for anything new when I got home.  My second reaction was, "ooh, that's a good mpp".

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9338 on: June 29, 2022, 06:51:29 PM »
I saw a dead cat next to the road the other day, and my reaction was to remind myself to check the top is in thread for anything new when I got home.  My second reaction was, "ooh, that's a good mpp".

👍

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9339 on: July 01, 2022, 08:53:19 AM »
Megacorp has fumbled DH's transition to part-time. Today should have been his first smaller paycheck, but it wasn't. The extra money in the checking account is going to wear on me until I know whether or not they are taking it back.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #9340 on: July 01, 2022, 09:37:55 AM »
Megacorp has fumbled DH's transition to part-time. Today should have been his first smaller paycheck, but it wasn't. The extra money in the checking account is going to wear on me until I know whether or not they are taking it back.

Very understandable! The first of the month is for resetting the accounts so that the household expenses account only contains the amount needed for that month (there’s a separate overflow account…). I used to do this on our monthly payday, but then I changed jobs and ended up with a different payday than spouse, so the first of the month became the logical choice.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9341 on: July 01, 2022, 02:56:45 PM »
I can’t sort out my end of financial year position and start my new set of books for the new one because my laptop is off having its battery replaced instead of buying a whole new computer.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9342 on: July 01, 2022, 03:06:18 PM »
I get paid at the end of the month but the water/trash bill isn't due until the 22nd. I won't get an email for another week with the balance due, so I can't balance my checkbook.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9343 on: July 02, 2022, 06:09:42 PM »
The trend line on my TTM spend graph and the SWR trend line are now parallel.
Thanks inflation..

health insurance  $300/mo to $1600/mo.
HOA $450 to $540 (inc. taxes)
Food $700 to $1000

Raise this year is not even going to cover this delta - net income will be down YoY

TTM spend a low of $2800/mo to now $3900, trending toward $4600.
Income is down 35% (DW is now a SAHP)
Savings rate down from 70% to 40%

At this rate I’m going to have to work into my early 40s !!!
My FIRE plans are looking FIRE(ish)

MPP: I have no one to complain about the impact of these things to.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9344 on: July 02, 2022, 06:34:58 PM »
MPP: I have no one to complain about the impact of these things to.
We're here for you, Steeze!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9345 on: July 02, 2022, 07:24:16 PM »
Thanks inflation..

This is due to inflation?

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9346 on: July 03, 2022, 10:18:21 AM »
Thanks inflation..

Mainly due to changing from DW’s insurance to the one my company offers, but also because my company’s insurance premiums increase double digit percentages every year. It has been a few years since I was on it, and I was single then, now on the family plan. I’ve spoken my mind about it and gotten the, “you need to be a team player” talk. Told the owners that they are spending a ton of money to provide a benefit that everyone thinks is terrible and a reason to leave, they might as well spend a bit more (double) to make it something people think is great and a reason to stay. Why spend all that money for a negative reaction? Oh well, there is no alternative, for now.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9347 on: July 03, 2022, 11:09:51 AM »
Thanks inflation..

Mainly due to changing from DW’s insurance to the one my company offers, but also because my company’s insurance premiums increase double digit percentages every year. It has been a few years since I was on it, and I was single then, now on the family plan. I’ve spoken my mind about it and gotten the, “you need to be a team player” talk. Told the owners that they are spending a ton of money to provide a benefit that everyone thinks is terrible and a reason to leave, they might as well spend a bit more (double) to make it something people think is great and a reason to stay. Why spend all that money for a negative reaction? Oh well, there is no alternative, for now.

The aca family glitch should be fixed in January.  You  will be able to get aca subsidies if your family premium is too high in relation to your income.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9348 on: July 11, 2022, 06:39:22 AM »
I spent ~ 80 bucks today on 4 things that were not on my list when I went into the store. However, 2 similar items (one was the same model, but different color) were sitting in my Amazon cart, amounting to $90. Still feel a little bad about getting extras.

The good news is I deleted the items from Amazon immediately so that they didn't get purchased accidentally.

Once home, I heard DH tell his father "We wanted to do that, but our finances wouldn't allow it" and I had no idea what he could possibly be talking about. He was telling him we weren't able to purchase this year's ibonds before May. That is our big financial failing...

We actually have some people over on the "2027 Retirement Cohort" discussion thread who are wondering how to buy these series I bonds. If you come and share what you know, you'd be helping some frugal people out!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9349 on: July 17, 2022, 05:56:28 AM »
I have 400 CHF in gift cards, but I can only think of 1 item we really need.